PDA

View Full Version : Which "Western" team will win the Superbowl next?

bearsfan_51
08-09-2011, 01:03 PM
Since 1999 (St. Louis Rams), no team in either the NFC or AFC West has won the Superbowl (Arizona, Oakland, St. Louis (again), and Seattle all made appearances).

In that time, the "Easts" have won 4, the "Norths" have won 4, and the
"Souths" have won 3.

Given that nice run of futility, who do you think will break the streak and when do you think it will be broken? Feel free to explain why.

*The other three teams geographically west of the Mississippi River (Dallas, Houston, Minnesota) have not won a Superbowl in that time either. New Orleans is literally split in half by the river.

K Train
08-09-2011, 01:06 PM
id have to say the chargers....only really cause rivers is the best current non superbowl winning QB in the game, everyone else seems to be considerably behind

Hurricanes25
08-09-2011, 01:07 PM
I guess San Diego, Kansas City and St. Louis have the best chances. If it's St. Louis, it will obviously be a few years down the line. I don't see any of them winning in the near future though.

Raiderz4Life
08-09-2011, 01:08 PM
For now I'll say SD. Their window isn't getting bigger..actually getting smaller imho but they have the best shot as of now. KC is up and coming though...Rams are making progress as well...and *sigh*...IDK bout Oakland

BmoreBlackByrdz
08-09-2011, 01:10 PM
Rivers gives San Diego the best chance.

CashmoneyDrew
08-09-2011, 01:11 PM
It's between the future Rams and future 49ers for me. I'd like to nominate the Chiefs but I don't see Cassel as a SB winning QB.

bearsfan_51
08-09-2011, 01:17 PM
Rivers is 30, so he's got about 3-4 years to make good on his potential. Of the great Superbowl QB's, only John Elway won his first Superbowl past 35.

Giantsfan1080
08-09-2011, 01:18 PM
I went with the Chargers but it's probably the Chiefs or Rams right now. Spags and Haley are the best coaches within that group and KC also has a great GM.

Raiderz4Life
08-09-2011, 01:23 PM
Rivers is 30, so he's got about 3-4 years to make good on his potential. Of the great Superbowl QB's, only John Elway won his first Superbowl past 35.

Wow he rly is about to be 30 isn't he? Man time flies lol

OSUGiants17
08-09-2011, 01:36 PM
Chiefs or Rams. If the Chargers don't do it in the next 3 years Rivers never gets his ring(at least as a starter)

Matthew Jones
08-09-2011, 01:39 PM
Chargers are definitely the front-runner for me considering they have an elite quarterback, and that gives you a shot every year. Aside from them, I'd go with the Rams. Quality young QB, a lot of talent on the lines, and a great coach.

keylime_5
08-09-2011, 01:52 PM
Arizona came so close last time. If they can get a guy who can throw for 4000 yards and not throw more than 15 INTs they can go again and win it, haha.

Chargers aren't gonna win anything with Norv Turner. I'll vote for them when they hire a new head coach. Rivers is gonna win a super bowl one day.

ArkyRamsFan
08-09-2011, 01:57 PM
This is easy. The Rams will win the Super Bowl before anyone else in the West.

And, of course I am totally unbiased when I say that.

Umm...please ignore my Sig if you will...

Complex
08-09-2011, 02:00 PM
I picked the Raiders because I want Al Davis to win another super bowl before he dies.

A Perfect Score
08-09-2011, 02:23 PM
I'm not going to lie, I love the Chiefs both this year and moving forward. I think they've got enough talent on the offense so that Matt Cassel doesn't have to be the primary playmaker and if their defense continues to mature it's going to be plain nasty. They're a talented young team and with that FO intact they're only going to get better. Give my vote to the Chiefs.

Pat Sims 90
08-09-2011, 02:26 PM
Said SD because they have the most talent of those teams right now. Only if they could get rid of Norv.

Brothgar
08-09-2011, 03:17 PM
Norv Turner will never win a super bowl. But I think Jim Harbaugh can.

Splat
08-09-2011, 03:24 PM
It will probably be SD but I'm a homer so I voted Chiefs.

J-Mike88
08-09-2011, 03:41 PM
Chargers are definitely the front-runner for me considering they have an elite quarterback, and that gives you a shot every year. Aside from them, I'd go with the Rams. Quality young QB, a lot of talent on the lines, and a great coach.
Totally agree with that..... I'd definitely vote "none of the above" though. I don't see the Chargers winning one ever in Rivers era, which isn't his fault but there are just a few better teams than they are and they seem cursed.

J-Mike88
08-09-2011, 03:42 PM
Said SD because they have the most talent of those teams right now. Only if they could get rid of Norv.
Tom Coughlin might become available. Barry Switzer is out there too.
Those are 2 coaches people said could never win a Super Bowl.

People said that about Dungy too for many years when he was coming up short in Tampa Bay.

bucfan12
08-09-2011, 03:47 PM
Honestly, I like Seattle's future. They're adding talent on both sides of the ball. Once they get a franchise QB, they could own the NFC West for years to come. They have a lot of talent at WR and RB and built a young solid O-line.

They could go after Osi, which makes their d-line solid if not very good. They have a young and promising secondary.

They're going to struggle this year with Jackson or Whitehurst at QB, but I think they're setting themselves up to get a franchise QB next year.

bucfan12
08-09-2011, 03:52 PM
I would have went with San Diego, but I haven't liked their decisions the past few years. They haven't really replaced Shawn Merriman, English has been a huge disapointment and I haven't liked their draft these past 2 years.

Ryan Matthews wasn't worth the price they traded up for. They lost a scat back in Sproles. Tolbert is solid.

Gates is getting up there in age and I'm not a huge fan of their CBs. Jammer isn't anything special. Decent, not spectacular. Cason is solid, but again, nothing jumps out to me. Weddle should definately be a pro bowler, but is in a tough conference at Safety.

I think time is running out and they aren't improving like the rest of the teams in the conference.

V.I.P
08-09-2011, 04:00 PM
Arizona & Seattle shocked people recently, and i think St. Louis is the next from the next West team to make it.

Edit: Just notice the title said "Winner", so i change my pick to SD.

bigbluedefense
08-09-2011, 04:13 PM
I have it between the Chargers, Chiefs, and Rams.

I think Rivers gives the Chargers a chance every season, I love how the Chiefs are building up their roster, and I love Spagnuolo as a coach and Bradford as a qb.

If you put a gun to my head, I'm going with the Chargers. They're built to win now.

But my gut tells me the Rams.

tjsunstein
08-09-2011, 04:39 PM
Just don't see it with San Diego.

Like the Chiefs and Rams before. Younger nucleus, clock isn't ticking on franchise QB.

TheBoyWonder22
08-09-2011, 04:54 PM
I went KC. But not until the Stanzi era. Seriously though, I love what they've put together in Haley's time there and I feel Cassell is adequate enough to do some big things.

Dam8610
08-09-2011, 05:17 PM
I think it's the Rams, Bradford should start coming into his own right around the time their defense gels and becomes an elite unit. It may take 2-3 years, but I think the Rams are building a contender.

That, and that douchenozzle Rivers deserves every crushing, heartbreaking moment that can be thrown his way.

San Diego Chicken
08-09-2011, 05:19 PM
I'm expecting big things from Harbaugh once they get rid of Alex Smith, if they ever do.

Raiderz4Life
08-09-2011, 05:22 PM
I think it's the Rams, Bradford should start coming into his own right around the time their defense gels and becomes an elite unit. It may take 2-3 years, but I think the Rams are building a contender.

That, and that douchenozzle Rivers deserves every crushing, heartbreaking moment that can be thrown his way.

+1...agreee whole heartedly.

San Diego Chicken
08-09-2011, 05:32 PM

I like the Rams D quite a bit moving forward... but I don't see Bradford as a true franchise QB, just a pretty good one. He had a decent year last year for a rookie, but it was hardly earth shattering. He'll be a good QB who will manage the game, not a killer that keeps D-coordinators up at night. But the Rams could be right there because they have the building blocks on D.

derza222
08-09-2011, 05:57 PM
I like the Rams, think they're building the team the right way on both sides of the ball. Add in a good young QB and a good coach, and if they keep moving in the right direction and Bradford stays healthy they've got a shot to be a really good team in a couple years.

Dam8610
08-09-2011, 06:00 PM
I like the Rams D quite a bit moving forward... but I don't see Bradford as a true franchise QB, just a pretty good one. He had a decent year last year for a rookie, but it was hardly earth shattering. He'll be a good QB who will manage the game, not a killer that keeps D-coordinators up at night. But the Rams could be right there because they have the building blocks on D.

He had one of the best rookie seasons in some time, and considering every WR they had was going on IR, it makes it all the more impressive. I think once he has some good weapons, he'll be right in that top echelon of QBs.

nepg
08-09-2011, 06:03 PM
lol @ San Diego.

KC seems to be the team that is closest to getting to a Super Bowl and having a good run of strong contending teams. They did what they did last year with one receiver and zero defensive depth.

They've added legitimately strong weapons, added depth, and have a young team that should be an entire year better. The defense has a sick amount of talent - especially the playmakers. The offense is balanced and the line should look a ton better with the new options Cassel has.

nobodyinparticular
08-09-2011, 06:13 PM
...I'm going with the Chargers. They're built to win now.

Yes, the Chargers are built to win now. Which is exactly why I think they will not be the next to win. I don't see them being a Super Bowl champ this year or the next two. I don't like the moves they have made and I don't know how long Rivers can be expected to play at this level. Is he this good? Yes. Do QBs have long shelf lives? Yes. But even their long shelf life, they still see a decline in their abilities as they hit 33 and beyond. Their number one weapon, Antonio Gates is already on the wrong side of 30 and has troubling foot problems. Their best weapon on the outside, Vincent Jackson, may have an irreparable relationship with the Chargers and could bolt next offseason.

You're looking at a window of 3 years with their players. But they are up against so many other teams right now, I can't see them breaking through. This Charger team should be better than they are, but the Chiefs took the division last year with a younger team and the Raiders beat the Chargers twice last year and once without DMC.

I'm a Raider fan, sure, but I wouldn't be shocked if the Raiders end up higher in the standings THIS season.

It's always a tough call trying to prognosticate future Super Bowl winners when people can't even do it at the beginning of the playoffs. Heck, if you asked this question any offseason in the past 4 seasons, you probably would have received a consensus answer of the Chargers. But I would guess the Chiefs are most likely to make the leap. After that, it's the Chargers.

I'll throw in 2 wild cards though who could make an unexpected leap. The Arizona Cardinals if Kevin Kolb becomes a game changing QB like he was supposed to be. The Oakland Raiders because I'm a Raider fan and because they have incredible talent. They could put it all together any given year.

Raiderz4Life
08-09-2011, 06:26 PM
The Raiders just need a QB that can at least win a few games. Campbell may be good as a backup but he won't win us the division.

RaiderNation
08-09-2011, 06:41 PM
Call me crazy but I do believe Campbell has what it takes to be a playoff caliber QB on this team. We need to improve the oline and keep DMC and Bush in the backfield. With that running game Campbell just needs to be efficient with the ball, similar to the last 5 games last year. Another year learning from Hue and now Al Saudners helping as well. I truly believe Campbell can do it.

Raiderz4Life
08-09-2011, 06:45 PM
I was huge on Campbell coming out of Auburn. Thought he was gonna live up to his 1st rd slot. Was pretty bummed he didn't work out. If he can really squeeze out something...I'd be stoked.

Splat
08-09-2011, 07:32 PM
I don't know why people hate Rivers so much?

Hell I'm a Chiefs fan and he is one of my favorite players in the league. So he is fiery and cocky who cares I like it.

bigbluedefense
08-09-2011, 07:35 PM
Yes, the Chargers are built to win now. Which is exactly why I think they will not be the next to win. I don't see them being a Super Bowl champ this year or the next two. I don't like the moves they have made and I don't know how long Rivers can be expected to play at this level. Is he this good? Yes. Do QBs have long shelf lives? Yes. But even their long shelf life, they still see a decline in their abilities as they hit 33 and beyond. Their number one weapon, Antonio Gates is already on the wrong side of 30 and has troubling foot problems. Their best weapon on the outside, Vincent Jackson, may have an irreparable relationship with the Chargers and could bolt next offseason.

You're looking at a window of 3 years with their players. But they are up against so many other teams right now, I can't see them breaking through. This Charger team should be better than they are, but the Chiefs took the division last year with a younger team and the Raiders beat the Chargers twice last year and once without DMC.

I'm a Raider fan, sure, but I wouldn't be shocked if the Raiders end up higher in the standings THIS season.

It's always a tough call trying to prognosticate future Super Bowl winners when people can't even do it at the beginning of the playoffs. Heck, if you asked this question any offseason in the past 4 seasons, you probably would have received a consensus answer of the Chargers. But I would guess the Chiefs are most likely to make the leap. After that, it's the Chargers.

I'll throw in 2 wild cards though who could make an unexpected leap. The Arizona Cardinals if Kevin Kolb becomes a game changing QB like he was supposed to be. The Oakland Raiders because I'm a Raider fan and because they have incredible talent. They could put it all together any given year.

San Diego has benefited greatly the past several years playing what has been a doormat division. That division is still 2 years away from being competitive from top to bottom though, SD still has a 2 year window to get it done.

Oakland needs a QB, KC needs to continue to grow and develop young talent (still too green to take the division), and Denver...well...they need to recover from the McDaniels era.

While Gates and Jackson will both be gone or old very soon, the key is AJ Smith realizes he needs to surround Rivers with tall targets and he'll be ok.

With his arm strength and that system they run under Norv, coupled with Rivers accuracy, you don't need elite guys, but you do need big guys who can go up and get it. You trust Rivers to put it in the right spot for them to get it. That's why they didn't miss a beat without Gates or Jackson at times during last season.

It's a combination of the system, Rivers accuracy and quick release, and the tall targets already on the team.

So I don't expect the offense to ever really drop off, they have a franchise qb, he'll do what franchise qbs do and they'll have a success on offense.

On defense, well...that's another story.

Dam8610
08-09-2011, 07:50 PM
I don't know why people hate Rivers so much?

Hell I'm a Chiefs fan and he is one of my favorite players in the league. So he is fiery and cocky who cares I like it.

If you know the answer to your question (and you stated it in the above post), why ask it?

Splat
08-09-2011, 07:54 PM
If you know the answer to your question (and you stated it in the above post), why ask it?

You must hate alot of NFL players because there are a ton just like him.

49erNation85
08-09-2011, 07:55 PM
I'm hoping the 9ers can pull it out of there head they don't need Smith after this season and pick a Vet or put in CK to see what he can do late in the season.Cause we can't win with Smith under center.Just won't happen.We just need a new QB who has more of an arm!

Dam8610
08-09-2011, 08:00 PM

The ones that run their mouths during the week for no good reason, like Rivers? Yes, I do.

Raiderz4Life
08-09-2011, 08:15 PM

I hate Rivers too. Not only cuz I'm a Raiders fan.

vidae
08-09-2011, 08:30 PM
KC needs to continue to grow and develop young talent (still too green to take the division)

The division we won last year? Wut?

I think I'm in love with you. Honestly.

Bengalsrocket
08-09-2011, 08:39 PM

I voted Chiefs. I guess I'm one of the few people that believes Cassel is the real deal.

I'm not crazy enough to believe Cassel is going to be the sole factor, so I'll add that I think they're building their team right. They've already got enough pieces to get there now, they just need a little more help on defense and solid depth to become a real power house imo.

Splat
08-09-2011, 08:48 PM
Everyone is just jealous of how awesome Rivers is...

Raiderz4Life
08-09-2011, 09:01 PM

You BARELY won the division because of 2 NON division games....if i remember correctly only 1 team went 6-0....so I wouldnt really go puffin out my chest lol

Dam8610
08-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Everyone is just jealous of how awesome Rivers is...

Not so much with the jealousy here, my team's QB has done things Rivers can only dream of, up to and including winning a Super Bowl.

Splat
08-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Not so much with the jealousy here, my team's QB has done things Rivers can only dream of, up to and including winning a Super Bowl.

He beat Rex Grossman good job.

ElectricEye
08-09-2011, 09:32 PM
San Diego is the only team on this list capable of making a deep playoff run as it stands right now....I just don't think they will. I just don't think this is a team you can feel confident about against a top tier team in a close game. Rivers is my favorite quarterback to watch in the league not named Brady, but the rest of the roster really leaves something to be desired when it actually comes down it it. You can pick an element of that team and take it away. In the past two playoff loses against the Jets and the Steelers, the running game has been non-existent. They got some yards on the Jets, but it just wasn't a consistent enough presence or something that needed to be respected. They've gone out and tried to fix that with Ryan Matthews...but results have been mixed so far. I really just can't see it all coming together at once with the age of the core team and just with the general way momentum has them going. Something would have to change dramatically from a personnel perspective or coaching standpoint to get them over the hump.

None of the teams are set up to win next year, with the exception of Kansas City. They've put together a great young core quickly with very adept drafting. They've even found ways to make use of players like Dorsey and Derrick Johnson that looked like failures of the previous regimes. It's amazing how quickly Pioli has patched up some of the massive holes that they had a few years ago. I'm just not sold on Matt Cassel. Don't get me wrong, he's an above average quarterback in this league right now and there's a tremendous amount of value in that...but he's one of those guys that needs to the talent around him to pick him up, not the other way around. Can you win 3 games against the best teams in the league with a guy like that? I'm inclined to say no.

From then on, it's an absolute crapshoot. You basically just have to pick which teams future you feel the best about based on things that don't happen on the football field or that we have yet to see happen.

Seattle has quietly geared up to contend in that awful division yet again this offseason, but they left impact players and potential difference makers on the board in the first round in favor of James Carpenter. The future at quarterback is also very much up in the air. Charlie Whitehust might end up being a league average quarterback for them this year, but I feel pretty confident in saying that he's not a guy you are going to win many playoff games with barring extreme circumstances.

Denver is in a complete rebuild right now. John Fox is a damn good coach and knows how to turn around a team(just not twice in Carolina) but there's just too many holes in that roster from the wrecking ball Josh McDaniel's ran through it. I don't feel good about anything on that team right now going forward, aside from maybe the defense...but even that's a few years off.

The Raiders have added tons of high upside guys over the past few years and are finally starting to hit on a few of them, but organizational stability has to be a factor. In the end, I just don't think that they are there yet and I don't trust the management to make the right decisions to finish building up the roster....and again, I don't see a quarterback on the roster that you'll be winning 3 playoff games with.

Arizona really isn't all that far away. Both the offense and defense were bad last year, but there's still plenty of pieces in place from the Super Bowl run to turn it around quickly, particularly on defense. I actually think they played much better than the numbers looked last year on that side of the ball. The main issue was that the offense couldn't keep them off the field. Patrick Peterson should be a HUGE boost to that team right away. Acho is another guy I can see coming in and having an meaningful impact right away, just seems like a really solid overall scheme fit for them. It all hinges on Kolb, essentially. They gave up a TON for(way too much, if you ask me) a guy that has essentially proven nothing. Tearing up and old and slow Cowboys secondary with the type of receiving core Philly has really doesn't mean much to me. We've seen this type of thing go horribly wrong for teams looking to a quick external fix before and I just can't see it working out this time either.

St. Louis is in good shape compared to where they've been, we just need to see how it all goes. Bradford had a much better rookie season than he had any business having with the lack of talent at the skill positions and the relative youth of the offense in general, but we need to see him keep progressing and see how the talent builds up around him. Still, out of the pack of "not yet" teams that we're talking about after the Chargers and Chiefs, they far and away have the quarterback situation that looks the most promising. It's a shame they weren't able to add a big playmaking wide receiver to their roster via the draft. Robert Quinn isn't a bad consolation prize assuming he can play the way we last saw him a few years ago. He should be a key piece of the puzzle in helping their relatively average defense turn the corner along with Chris Long.

San Francisco has the coach and the future I feel the best about right now out of this group. Harbaugh impressed the living hell out of me with what he did at Stanford. That team came out every week focused and prepared like a professional team. Great technical coaching in terms of schemes and usage of personnel, but he also had everyone on that team buying into the culture and system he built there. It's just a question of doing it with highly paid professional athletes now instead of a bunch of bright kids that go to Stanford. He's inheriting a roster that has some dramatically talented players at key positions and some solid pieces at others, but hasn't had things come together yet. The defense should be primed to turn it around right away assuming they can fix some problems against the pass. They actually finished inside the top fifteen in total defense last year in spite of being one of the worst teams in the league against the pass. If Aldon Smith can help them get a bit more heat on the quarterback that could end up changing very quickly, even with some shaky defensive back play. But Harbaugh is an offensive guy. A quarterback guy, even. Obviously, Alex Smith probably isn't taking you on a deep run into the playoffs. He's just not going to turn it around at this point, in spite of how much many(including me) liked him coming out. So it all comes down the how well Kaepernick is able to develop in the next few years. I'm not going to say he can't given how early it is...but the pro game is going to be a big hill for him to climb based on what we saw out of him at Nevada. Harbaugh has developed(and even seems to prefer) raw toolsy athletes like CK into refined passers before at the college level, so I wouldn't put it past him at all, but there's a few years of work to be done there for sure. CK seems to be a bright kid and has been doing his best to improve for a while really(he's attended the Manning passing camp the past few years, if I remember correctly), but the future there is uncertain. To me, he's the type of guy you bring in when you have a stable situation....not one you are looking to depend on in a few years.

So basically, I really don't know. The two teams that are "ready" now I really don't feel all that good about for a variety of reasons and we're just too far off with the rest of them to make an accurate assessment on. If pressed, I would probably say that I feel that the 49ers have the best combination of talent, momentum, and coaching going out of this group. I feel really good about their future. I'm just not sure any of these teams are going to Disney World any time soon.

vidae
08-09-2011, 09:38 PM
You BARELY won the division because of 2 NON division games....if i remember correctly only 1 team went 6-0....so I wouldnt really go puffin out my chest lol

We barely what? Won the division.

Speaking of puffing out your chest, you Raiders fans need to stop bragging about 6-0 when you went 0-4 against arguably the worst division to ever lace up cleats. You're also the only team that went 6-0 in your division and didn't make the playoffs. What is there to be proud of there?

Raiderz4Life
08-09-2011, 09:49 PM
We barely what? Won the division.

Speaking of puffing out your chest, you Raiders fans need to stop bragging about 6-0 when you went 0-4 against arguably the worst division to ever lace up cleats. You're also the only team that went 6-0 in your division and didn't make the playoffs. What is there to be proud of there?

Not puffing out my chest. Not braggin about going 6-0 and then losing...just like Chiefs fans shouldn't act like they dominated the division when clearly they didn't.

Dam8610
08-09-2011, 10:08 PM
He beat Rex Grossman good job.

Rivers would gladly have beaten Grossman to have a championship to claim I'm sure.

Raiderz4Life
08-09-2011, 10:18 PM
Rivers would gladly have beaten Grossman to have a championship to claim I'm sure.

Look at how many years and choke jobs it took him. Rivers still has time.

Give the Bears a competent QB and it may have been different but w.e...that's done. But, Peyton did not deserve that MVP. He only got it because of his name, he had an average game.

vidae
08-09-2011, 10:38 PM
Not puffing out my chest. Not braggin about going 6-0 and then losing...just like Chiefs fans shouldn't act like they dominated the division when clearly they didn't.

When did I ever say we dominated it? He said we were too green to win it, I said we just did.

Raiderz4Life
08-09-2011, 10:42 PM
When did I ever say we dominated it? He said we were too green to win it, I said we just did.

Not you specifically. But trust me, there are a lot of Chiefs fan who act like they just smacked everyone in the AFC West.

I'd say y'all got a good chance to repeat but I think San Diego will bounce back this year. Don't expect them to do much in the post-season though.

Unless Campbell has some sort of epiphany or something...pretty sure Oakland will be taking 3rd.

Borat
08-09-2011, 11:17 PM
I'd go with KC. But I don't see any of these teams winning the big one in the near future.

Ness
08-09-2011, 11:31 PM
San Diego. I feel they'll at least get there one day.

nepg
08-10-2011, 08:44 AM
San Diego. I feel they'll at least get there one day.
They've had far better teams than what they're rolling out these days and failed to do anything.

bearsfan_51
08-10-2011, 05:34 PM
I haven't voted yet, but I actually lean towards Denver or Seattle. Having a good owner is really underrated, and both have great owners. A lot of the problems with the "West" is rooted in bad ownership, be it too cheap (Spanos), meddling (York) or insane (Davis)