PDA

View Full Version : RavenOfProphecy's August 9th Mock Draft!

Matthew Jones
08-09-2011, 01:35 PM
This took forever...constructive criticism would be much appreciated!

2012 NFL DRAFT

1. Cincinnati Bengals - QB Andrew Luck, Stanford*

Even with Dalton, the Bengals would have to take Luck in this situation. Could be deadly with A.J. Green.

2. Buffalo Bills - OT Jonathan Martin, Stanford*

Close call here between Martin (who is better than Kalil at this point, in my opinion) and Matt Barkley.

3. Carolina Panthers - WR Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina*

Armanti Edwards has reportedly been impressive, but not enough to prevent them from snagging Jeffery.

4. Washington Redskins - QB Matt Barkley, Southern California*

The Redskins luck out when Buffalo passes on Martin, and don't have to reach for Landry Jones here.

5. Cleveland Browns - CB Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama*

Kirkpatrick would line up opposite Haden and provide the Browns with another young stud at cornerback.

6. Denver Broncos - DT Jerel Worthy, Michigan St.*

John Elway passed on Dareus last year, but the Broncos can still grab a young stud at defensive tackle.

7. San Francisco 49ers - DE Jared Crick, Nebraska

Not much CB value left, so 49ers opt for a proven guy to start opposite Justin Smith on the defensive line.

8. Minnesota Vikings - OT Matt Kalil, Southern California*

Bryant McKinnie is out, and Charlie Johnson is not the answer, so the Vikings grab Kalil to protect Ponder.

9. Miami Dolphins - QB Landry Jones, Oklahoma*

A little bit early for Jones, but if the Dolphins are picking in the top ten next year, Chad Henne is gone.

10. Oakland Raiders - OT D.J. Fluker, Alabama**

We know Oakland is looking for a left tackle because they tried to sign Gaither, so they grab one here.

11. Jacksonville Jaguars - DE Quinton Coples, North Carolina

Well-rounded left end who can play pass and run, and the Jaguars failed to draft a long-term end this year.

12. Arizona Cardinals - OT Nate Potter, Boise St.

With Kevin Kolb in the fold, the Cardinals need to protect their investment, and go for the top tackle left.

13. Tennessee Titans - WR Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma St.*

Kenny Britt is a headache and aside from him, the Titans aren't exactly well-stocked at wide receiver.

14. Seattle Seahawks - CB Jayron Hosley, Virginia Tech*

Pete Carroll needs cornerbacks and should all about Jayron Hosley, one of the draft's premier playmakers.

15. Detroit Lions - CB Alfonzo Dennard, Nebraska

The Lions surprised last year by passing on Amukamara, and they should be on the lookout for a corner.

16. Houston Texans - SS Ray Ray Armstrong, Miami (FL)*

This offseason, Houston significantly upgraded their defense, but could still use a starter at strong safety.

17. Dallas Cowboys - RB Trent Richardson, Alabama*

Jerry Jones reportedly tried to land Mark Ingram last year and failed, so he'll have to settle for Richardson.

18. Kansas City Chiefs - OT Riley Reiff, Iowa*

Rumor had it that Kansas City was looking at tackles last year, so they could look to address that in 2012.

19. Chicago Bears - DT Marcus Forston, Miami (FL)*

Maybe not Chicago's biggest need after drafting Paea, but a value that would be difficult to pass on.

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - CB Stephon Gilmore, South Carolina*

I doubt Tampa Bay would look at a character concern like Janoris or Cliff after Talib's off-the-field issues.

21. St. Louis Rams - LB Manti Te'o, Notre Dame*

Well-rounded player who can fit any scheme and a safer pick than equally-talented LB Vontaze Burfict.

22. New York Giants - LB Luke Kuechly, Boston College*

They attempted to add some linebackers, but I doubt Coughlin would pass on a stud from Boston College.

23. San Diego Chargers - DE/LB Donte Paige-Moss, North Carolina*

Larry English has not produced so far, so the Chargers could opt for an athletic edge rusher at this point.

24. Baltimore Ravens - LB Vontaze Burfict, Arizona St.*

Concerns about maturity/composure caused Burfict to drop, but some consider him the next Ray Lewis.

25. Indianapolis Colts - OG David DeCastro, Stanford*

Zach Brown would be a great value, but the Colts need to protect Peyton before doing anything else.

26. New York Jets - DE/LB Brandon Jenkins, Florida St.*

Jamaal Westerman looks great so far in camp, but Jenkins is a great pass-rushing value this late in the draft.

27. Cleveland Browns (from Falcons) - WR Jeff Fuller, Texas A&M

Despite drafting Greg Little, the Browns still need to upgrade at wide receiver, and Fuller is a great fit.

28. New England Patriots (from Saints) - C Michael Brewster, Ohio St.

Battle-tested leader at the center spot with the strength to handle nose tackles, something Koppen can't do.

29. Pittsburgh Steelers - OG Kelechi Osemele, Iowa St.

In 2011, the Steelers started to rebuild their trenches, but they could still use a quality guard like Osemele.

30. Philadelphia Eagles - LB Zach Brown, North Carolina

Andy Reid doesn't seem to value linebackers much, but a guy of Brown's caliber would be hard to pass on.

31. New England Patriots - DE/LB Devin Taylor, South Carolina*

Belichick isn't satisfied at all with his pass rushers right now, so the monstrous Taylor could be a great fit.

32. Green Bay Packers - DE/LB Vinny Curry, Marshall

Opposite Clay Matthews, the Packers are searching for a rusher, and Curry recorded 12 sacks in 2010.

Notable omissions:

RB Knile Davis, Arkansas

RB LaMichael James, Oregon*

WR Ryan Broyles, Oklahoma

WR Michael Floyd, Notre Dame

WR Mohamed Sanu, Rutgers*

TE Michael Egnew, Missouri

OT Andrew Datko, Florida St.

OT Bobby Massie, Mississippi*

OT Matt Reynolds, Brigham Young

DE Andre Branch, Clemson

DT Kheeston Randall, Texas

DT Baker Steinkuhler, Nebraska

LB Travis Lewis, Oklahoma

LB Courtney Upshaw, Albaama

CB Cliff Harris, Oregon*

CB Janoris Jenkins, North Alabama

CB Chase Minnifield, Virginia

FS Robert Lester, Alabama*

SS Kenny Tate, Maryland

proshoota25
08-09-2011, 02:08 PM
brewster would be the sh*t

Pat Sims 90
08-09-2011, 02:17 PM
Luck is a good pick.

ArkyRamsFan
08-09-2011, 02:18 PM
Te'o is a fine prospect but Spags just doesn't value LBers enough to take him at 21.

If the Rams are making a defensive pick look for a CB or D-Lineman.

OSUGiants17
08-09-2011, 02:30 PM
Kuechly to the Giants = Jizz everywhere

DiG
08-09-2011, 02:32 PM
would be perfectly happy with barkley.

T-RICH49
08-09-2011, 04:02 PM
like the Reiff pick

Matthew Jones
08-09-2011, 04:20 PM
would be perfectly happy with barkley.

Just curious - if Barkley wasn't available, would you have predicted Landry Jones or someone else?

K Train
08-09-2011, 05:29 PM
would like minnifield there, but cant argue with the steelers pick too much

shylo3716
08-09-2011, 05:56 PM
Kenny Tate is a sure Top 10-15 guy I can bet my bottom $

K Train
08-09-2011, 06:44 PM
i would say a sure 2nd/3rd rounder at this point...he doesnt even have a real position

Brown Leader
08-09-2011, 07:21 PM
I think Tate's going to have a big season at OLB AND still be considered as a S option at the next level. Stock^

Unless Kirkpatrick has a huge season and post eval top 5 is not happening.

shylo3716
08-09-2011, 07:21 PM
I bet you he will not pass Dallas

tjsunstein
08-09-2011, 07:45 PM
Bruce Irvin over Vinny Curry.

rawdawg
08-09-2011, 09:03 PM
I like Forston a lot. But give me any of the guys going from 27-29 (Fuller, Brewster, Osemele) or even Gilmore. I tend to lean toward OL, because it's the biggest need on the team. But an elite talent at CB or WR would probably make just as big a difference to the Bears. However, I think the Bears could get some help at those positions in the 2nd and 3rd.

prock
08-10-2011, 03:31 AM
I dig Kalil.

vidae
08-10-2011, 10:27 AM
Eh, ok KC pick.

ElectricEye
08-10-2011, 07:20 PM
That's a stellar Patriots draft. Devin Taylor would be the best young pass rusher we've had in here in a long time.

MikeTheDudeV2
08-17-2011, 01:36 PM
LOVE the Alshon Jeffery pick.

holt_bruce81
08-24-2011, 10:43 PM
Can Manti Te'o play Outside?

Ozzy
08-27-2011, 01:32 PM
RavenOfProphecy

2012 NFL DRAFT

1. Cincinnati Bengals - QB Andrew Luck, Stanford*
2. Buffalo Bills - OT Jonathan Martin, Stanford* I like him but not sure he comes out, much less not sure he is better than Kalil
3. Carolina Panthers - WR Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina*
4. Washington Redskins - QB Matt Barkley, Southern California*
5. Cleveland Browns - CB Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama*He could drop if he does not improve his tackling
6. Denver Broncos - DT Jerel Worthy, Michigan St.*
7. San Francisco 49ers - DE Jared Crick, Nebraska
8. Minnesota Vikings - OT Matt Kalil, Southern California*
9. Miami Dolphins - QB Landry Jones, Oklahoma*
10. Oakland Raiders - OT D.J. Fluker, Alabama**I have him coming out in 2013, this would be a little early, still really like him as a player, love his potential
11. Jacksonville Jaguars - DE Quinton Coples, North Carolina
12. Arizona Cardinals - OT Nate Potter, Boise St. Not sure he is good enough to be picked this high
13. Tennessee Titans - WR Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma St.*
14. Seattle Seahawks - CB Jayron Hosley, Virginia Tech* Hard time taking a small corner that is not the best tackler over bigger more physical corners. And hard to do what he did last year again that is for sure
15. Detroit Lions - CB Alfonzo Dennard, Nebraska
16. Houston Texans - SS Ray Ray Armstrong, Miami (FL)* I do not like him much at all, way overrated I feel. Kenny Tate as an OLB prospect is far better than Armstrong will be, not even close.
17. Dallas Cowboys - RB Trent Richardson, Alabama*
18. Kansas City Chiefs - OT Riley Reiff, Iowa*
19. Chicago Bears - DT Marcus Forston, Miami (FL)*Not a fan of his, ok player but hard time seeing him go this high. What the kid has 3 sacks last year?
20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - CB Stephon Gilmore, South Carolina*
21. St. Louis Rams - LB Manti Te'o, Notre Dame*
22. New York Giants - LB Luke Kuechly, Boston College*
23. San Diego Chargers - DE/LB Donte Paige-Moss, North Carolina*
24. Baltimore Ravens - LB Vontaze Burfict, Arizona St.*Be interesting to see if he drops this far
25. Indianapolis Colts - OG David DeCastro, Stanford*He is an easy lock for the 1st round
26. New York Jets - DE/LB Brandon Jenkins, Florida St.*
27. Cleveland Browns (from Falcons) - WR Jeff Fuller, Texas A&M
28. New England Patriots (from Saints) - C Michael Brewster, Ohio St.
29. Pittsburgh Steelers - OG Kelechi Osemele, Iowa St.He has potential to go way higher than this possibly
30. Philadelphia Eagles - LB Zach Brown, North Carolina Good player, he could sneak in
31. New England Patriots - DE/LB Devin Taylor, South Carolina*
32. Green Bay Packers - DE/LB Vinny Curry, Marshall

Notable omissions:

RB Knile Davis, Arkansas

RB LaMichael James, Oregon*

WR Ryan Broyles, Oklahoma

WR Michael Floyd, Notre Dame Doubt he drops out of the first round, with his ball skills

WR Mohamed Sanu, Rutgers*

TE Michael Egnew, Missouri

OT Andrew Datko, Florida St. Not sure I would ever take him in the 1st round

OT Bobby Massie, Mississippi*

OT Matt Reynolds, Brigham Young

DE Andre Branch, Clemson

DT Kheeston Randall, Texas

DT Baker Steinkuhler, Nebraska Not sure he is at that level, maybe but based off last year he is not

LB Travis Lewis, Oklahoma

LB Courtney Upshaw, Albaama

CB Cliff Harris, Oregon*

CB Janoris Jenkins, North Alabama

CB Chase Minnifield, Virginia

FS Robert Lester, Alabama*

SS Kenny Tate, Maryland Shocked if he drops out of the 1st, and I see him as an OLB, he is better blitzing and around the line of scrimmage than deep in coverage.

Matthew Jones
08-27-2011, 02:20 PM
Ozzy:

Man, this mock is pretty old by now and after doing more analysis, I think a lot of your concerns are completely valid. On my new top-50 big board (see the draft section), I have Potter ranked as the #46 prospect, Hosley as the #41 prospect, Armstrong as a notable omission, and Michael Floyd ranked as a first round guy.

Now, a few things we'll have to agree to disagree on:

I still have Martin ranked slightly higher than Kalil. During my time watching both of them, I liked his build/frame better and thought he was a little more nimble. Obviously, both of them are top prospects.

Kenny Tate to me is a fourth round pick or so. I haven't seen many NFL skills from him at all. Terrible change of direction and short area quickness. Maybe he improves his stock as an OLB, but all I see right now is a tall, awkward rover.

Marcus Forston is legit, definitely check him out when you get the chance. Extremely stout and disruptive. He's a beast and he should see his stock vastly improve during the season.

I'd like to hear what you have to say about Andrew Datko as well. I feel my ranking (#29 on the big board) is way different than where a lot of people have him, so maybe you guys have seen some flaws I haven't. I have a major revision of the big board upcoming once I research/watch some more prospects, so any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Ozzy
08-28-2011, 08:42 AM
RavenOfProphecy Kenny Tate to me is a fourth round pick or so. I haven't seen many NFL skills from him at all. Terrible change of direction and short area quickness. Maybe he improves his stock as an OLB, but all I see right now is a tall, awkward rover.Yes in coverage and as a safety he is nothing much, but as a linebacker one a team that likes small fast linebackers he could be a star. He has great quickness around the line of scrimmage and is extremely effective blitzing off the edge and making big plays behind the line of scrimmage or going after ball carriers.

This video helps show some of his ability potentially as an outside linebacker if you watch close.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHglU3nYRqQ

Safety is almost a non option I would say, fun to watch him hit but sure doubt he plays there. He might be a slow safety but at linebacker he is fast and quick.

I'd like to hear what you have to say about Andrew Datko as well. I feel my ranking (#29 on the big board) is way different than where a lot of people have him, so maybe you guys have seen some flaws I haven't. I have a major revision of the big board upcoming once I research/watch some more prospects, so any insight would be greatly appreciated.He is not that big, not a dominating blocker at all, good but not sure he is all that great. Has been around forever but to me he was never the best lineman on the team, might be now but was fast less impressive than Hudson. Anything could happen but I would be shocked if he is over the top six or more offensive tackles in the draft. Maybe, we will see. Could pull one where he turns out being better in the NFL and more of a player than he was in college, who knows.

thebow305
08-29-2011, 05:32 PM
lol, I guess Landry Jones to Miami is the newest fad, but I love it anyway!