PDA

View Full Version : Packers-Browns, Preseason Week 1

PackerLegend
08-09-2011, 04:07 PM
This Sat at 6:30 central.... I cant wait, just hope nobody gets hurt.

J-Mike88
08-09-2011, 09:04 PM
This Sat at 6:30 central.... I cant wait, just hope nobody gets hurt.
You said it. That's all I care about. Nothing else matters.
Nobody can tell us how we did in the preseason last year (outside of ourselves).

Only the bad injuries make a real difference.

Isn't it on the NFL Network?

PackerLegend
08-09-2011, 11:04 PM
Isn't it on the NFL Network?

It is on NFL Network and on ABC if you are local.

PackerLegend
08-12-2011, 03:35 PM
Our starting CBs for this game could be Jarret Bush, Pat Lee and Josh Gordy... Ouch atleast its preseason. Sam Shields has whats being called a bruised hip.

cvv84
08-12-2011, 03:43 PM
Our starting CBs for this game could be Jarret Bush, Pat Lee and Josh Gordy... Ouch atleast its preseason. Sam Shields has whats being called a bruised hip.

Meh, nothing wrong with letting getting the backups some reps. Especially Bush and Lee.

I won't be around to watch the game but I'm curious to see how the rookies perform. Cobb, Green, D.J. Williams, and Guy in particular.

More importantly: NO INJURIES

CheeseKnuckles
08-12-2011, 04:09 PM
Not sure what is wrong with Brandian Ross, but I was looking forward to watching him play CB. I saw his name on the injury list, but I didn't see what for.

I'm also really excited to see Gurley/Smithson/Borel in action. Not sure why, but I have this gut feeling Gurley will make the roster this year. I've read he had a strong week of practice and has been making some good plays on STs.

Can't wait! GO PACK!

cvv84
08-12-2011, 04:32 PM
I don't know what the love affair with Ross is. The INT he had on Family Night was thrown right too him on a blown route. After that he was beaten badly by Cobb on a deep route. Developmental practice squad player.

CheeseKnuckles
08-12-2011, 06:21 PM
I don't know what the love affair with Ross is. The INT he had on Family Night was thrown right too him on a blown route. After that he was beaten badly by Cobb on a deep route. Developmental practice squad player.

Well I was following him before the draft because of a story I read on a different Packers website on his pre-draft visit with the Packers, it would be a good story for a guy from a small school.

Not really in love with him, but I like him more than our other options after Bush.

J-Mike88
08-12-2011, 06:42 PM
I don't know what the love affair with Ross is.
He just said he was looking forward to watching him.

And this is a good game to be missing QBs for: The Browns vaunted aerial assault hasn't scared anyone since.......

You are right about the injuries. That's the only thing that matters to me.
There have been tons already in camps.... 10 guys tore achilles, we've seen ACLs.... just let us get thru unscathed.
I hate preseason....

cvv84
08-12-2011, 07:18 PM
He just said he was looking forward to watching him.

I know, thats why I didn't quote him. My point is that after a 30 minute Family Night he got alot of the spotlight for a play any DB should make. Its not like he's been turning heads at camp. Good guy, the talent is there, but he needs work.

PackerLegend
08-12-2011, 10:43 PM
Meh, nothing wrong with letting getting the backups some reps. Especially Bush and Lee.

I won't be around to watch the game but I'm curious to see how the rookies perform. Cobb, Green, D.J. Williams, and Guy in particular.

More importantly: NO INJURIES

I heard Alex Green (dont remember) and BJ Raji (ankle)were hurt in pratice on thursday but never heard much more then that. So I dont know if we will get to see Green ....

J-Mike88
08-12-2011, 10:47 PM
I know, thats why I didn't quote him. My point is that after a 30 minute Family Night he got alot of the spotlight for a play any DB should make. Its not like he's been turning heads at camp. Good guy, the talent is there, but he needs work.
Right, but I think a lot of guys need work, but if I'm not mistaken, none of us have seem the guy play in a game yet, so I understand him wanting to see him play.
I felt the same way about Driver in 1999 after hearing about the youngster making plays in camp. I remember my uncle raving about him when I visited there in August, then got to see him play!

Tampa Bay might be a tough game for us (Arod is 0-2 vs them).... circle that date Nov 20. Comes on a short week for us as we play the Vikings that Monday.

tjsunstein
08-13-2011, 06:12 PM
Jermichael Finley is out for this game according to Albert Breer.

Crossing my fingers for an injury free contest.

I'm excited to see how Grant returns, should play with something to prove.

PACKmanN
08-13-2011, 06:48 PM
Bush and Lee...same old story

where`s House and Sheilds

jackalope
08-13-2011, 07:02 PM
Cobb looking good on his first two returns.

BloodBrother
08-13-2011, 07:09 PM
Burnett looked impressive there. Nice to see him gettign up in there vs the run. He was a bit timid last year in that department

Lee actually ran with that WR stride for stride but you gotta turn around and find the ball. Not a first year player, so he should know better.

Jennings looks to be in midseason form. That was a great grab for the TD on the back shoulder throw

BloodBrother
08-13-2011, 07:57 PM
Man, Cobb looks good

BloodBrother
08-13-2011, 08:50 PM
Masthay is a beast. ST Coverage/blocking still looks pretty mediocre, however

PackerLegend
08-13-2011, 10:11 PM
-Cobb has me very excited looked really good
-Matshay had some very nice punts
-Josh Gordy made some 2 nice plays (sack,int) dont think he really even got thrown on that I remember.

-Jarret Bush.... thank god he is not our starting CB got picked on alot
-Pat Lee not very impressive
-Harrell wasnt very impressive either.

PackerLegend
08-13-2011, 10:14 PM
Bush and Lee...same old story

where`s House and Sheilds

House has been hurt and Shields was hurt in pratice on Thurs with a bruised hip.

Alex Green was hurt in pratice Thurs as well so thats why he wasnt out there. Raji also hurt his ankle on Thurs but it was good to see him out there meaning it was nothing.

BloodBrother
08-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Some critiques

-backup OLB/DE didn't really show much. Ricky Elmore really looks like a bad fit in the 3-4. He was pretty bad overall today and has been outplayed in practice by UDFA Vic So'oto and Jamari Lattimore. He needs to show something or he could find himself not making the roster

-ST coverage/blocking still didn't look good

-Pat Lee looks like he's on his last legs here

-Harrell really could have used McCarthy's QB camp during the offseason. He showed some good things but got happy feet at the sign of pressure. THE OL didn't block for him well, to be completely fair

positives:

-Cobb, definitely going to make an impact this season and looked very fluid as a returner

-Rodgers doing his thing on the 2nd series.

-Jennings looked to be in midseason form

-Masthay. Seriously, I can't believe this team has a good punter now

-Ryan Taylor. NEver would have thought this guy would look so impressive and stand out in this deep TE group

-Josh Gordy. A sack and an INT is one way to stand out. I see him taking Lee's place on the final 53

-Morgan Burnett. Looked very athletic and fast out there. Pack are going to have 2 great athletes at safety in him and Nick Collins

-Anthony Levine. He had a real solid game overall. Played the run well and was good in coverage. Safety is looking like this year's ILB as far as depth goes. Collins, Burnett, Peprah, Levine is looking like a very promising group

-Most importantly of all, NO SERIOUS INJURIES

Packers started their year last season with a loss to Cleveland in preseason, so maybe it's a good omen they start this year off the same way they did last lol

J-Mike88
08-14-2011, 03:25 PM
-Cobb looks like a natural as a return-stud. How awesome would that be if this guy could give us some Josh Cribbs/Devin Hester/Leon Washington stuff back there? Imagine a pair of special team returns to the house this year? Desmond Howard-like.... still, for him to see the field on passing downs, that means someone like Jermike, Jordyzzz, or Jones will be out.

-Starks nicked up his ankle, hopefully it's okay and I think it is. He looked very good out there... and Grant, for his first time playing in 11.5 months, it was good to see him.

-Morgan Burnett looks a lot stronger/physical than last year. If he can mentally pick up the scheme like Collins has it, we're gonna be lethal with the picks back there.... plus Woodson, Traymon, and Shields? With any rush from Neal and/or the ROLB spot + Clay, we should be able to challenge the team record for Ints.

-Watched Lang and Sherrod as much as I could and without special film focusing in on them, it's hard to tell much. Neither was great or horrible. I still really want Lang to be the LG and Sherrod the backup OT for now.....

-It is nice having a solid punter and it's shocking to say that we do! But I hope he also sets a Packer team record for fewest punts-per-game in a season :o)