PDA

View Full Version : Clay Matthews says he played second half, playoffs on broken leg

FUNBUNCHER
08-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Packers outside linebacker Clay Matthews, who had 13.5 sacks in the 2010 regular season and 3.5 more during Green Bay's postseason run to the Super Bowl championship, played with a broken leg in the second half of the season and in all four postseason games.

"I don't make a big deal of it," Matthews told the Green Bay Press-Gazette. "You can't do anything about it. I was just taking practices off and showing up on game day and giving it my all."

A first-round pick in the 2009 draft, Clay Matthews admitted this week that he played most of last season with a stress fracture in his leg. (AP Photo)
Matthews, who has been selected to the Pro Bowl in each of his first two seasons, was listed on the team's injury report every week from Week 9 through the NFC Championship Game as probable with a shin injury. In fact, it was a stress fracture in his lower leg.

Matthews revealed news of the injury while answering a question about how much the Packers will miss defensive lineman Cullen Jenkins, who signed as a free agent with the Eagles. The presence of Jenkins seemingly helped Matthews, who had 14 of his 17 sacks in the 15 games Jenkins played. In the five games Jenkins missed because of injury, Matthews had only three sacks.

"I also had a stress fracture in four of those games," Matthews said. "But nobody knows that. A sore shin as you guys call it, but that's all right. Obviously, I'm not making any excuses. Cullen is a terrific athlete, and we're definitely going to take a hit in our defensive line, but at the same time I think they have confidence in the guys coming up."

Matthews, who also has had hamstring issues in each of his first two seasons, changed his approach to his offseason training this year. He did a lot more cardiovascular work. As a result, he arrived at training camp weighing six pounds less than last season.

FUNBUNCHER
08-10-2011, 08:31 PM
Quit bragging, CMIII.

Everybody has played on shin splints.

tjsunstein
08-10-2011, 08:36 PM
Dude is great, going to be interesting to see how the defense adjusts to losing 77.

PackerLegend
08-10-2011, 09:54 PM
Its all because his hair gives him superhuman strength.

http://ballertainment.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/Clay-Matthews-Hair.jpg
http://www.bittenandbound.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/Clay-Matthews-all-about-the-hair.jpg

CMIII I WANT TO HAVE YOUR CHILDREN CALL ME KTHXBYE.

Complex
08-10-2011, 10:08 PM
If the NFL does HGH testing, how long before Clay gets busted?

Raiderz4Life
08-10-2011, 10:15 PM
amputate something during a game and keep playing. then i'll be impressed.

BloodBrother
08-10-2011, 10:21 PM

wouldn't be surprised if its a punter or kicker who gets busted first

PackerLegend
08-10-2011, 10:22 PM

Clay aint no juicer! Thats all him, all natural.. I should know "wink wink"

CC.SD
08-10-2011, 10:40 PM
Bow before your God

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0g5yeF97Ik66y/610x.jpg

V.I.P
08-10-2011, 10:44 PM
It's almost like Clay knows exactly when the photos are being taken, so he poses sex for the cameras.

bucfan12
08-10-2011, 10:44 PM

Ehh, I don't know. I think he's done that naturally. Casey Matthews began working out with Clay this whole offseason and he bulked up from 235 to 245 and looks more fit to take on the MLB spot in the NFL with Philly.

phlysac
08-10-2011, 10:49 PM
Ehh, I don't know. I think he's done that naturally. Casey Matthews began working out with Clay this whole offseason and he bulked up from 235 to 245 and looks more fit to take on the MLB spot in the NFL with Philly.
Or perhaps Clay taught him his "tricks" :P

I jest

Raiderz4Life
08-10-2011, 11:08 PM
NFL needs to test for SGH to bust Clay.

Roddoliver
08-10-2011, 11:27 PM
Lower-leg stress fracture. It's a small crack in the bone. "Played with a broken leg" paints a different picture with some exaggeration.

Ravens1991
08-10-2011, 11:47 PM

Its gonna be interesting to see what they will say if half the NFL loses 20 pounds in one season.

bucfan12
08-11-2011, 12:47 AM
Its gonna be interesting to see what they will say if half the NFL loses 20 pounds in one season.

Hmm... the biggest question is, how many players were juicing between March and well, June/July where they could not conduct testing during the lockout?

HGH doesn't necessarily put on 'massive' amounts of weight for everyone, so not all might be able to tell. Players will develop 10 lbs or so of muscles, but the biggest advantage is endurance and recovery from injury.

Sloopy
08-11-2011, 08:18 AM
Wasn't Clay already accused once of juicing when the whole Cushing thing came out?

Borat
08-11-2011, 08:32 AM
Packers InjurieZzzzzzZZZzzzz.

K Train
08-11-2011, 08:44 AM
1) Lets not be over dramatic clay

2) i really really doubt hes on roids/hgh

3) this thread needs WAY more claymaker glamour shots to keep me interested

Monomach
08-11-2011, 09:04 AM

Bout three seconds after Cushing. Maualuga's the only guy from that LB corps who looked clean.

Gay Ork Wang
08-11-2011, 09:07 AM
Lower-leg stress fracture. It's a small crack in the bone. "Played with a broken leg" paints a different picture with some exaggeration.
thank you very much.

descendency
08-11-2011, 09:31 AM

1P0yfq2wDvU

Monomach
08-11-2011, 10:29 AM
1P0yfq2wDvU

I always wondered how "**** you, Gumby" didn't become a meme in its own right.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
08-11-2011, 12:36 PM
NFL needs to test for SGH to bust Clay.

Sexual growth hormone?

Raiderz4Life
08-11-2011, 12:42 PM
Sexual growth hormone?

Was thinking more like...samson growth hormone also known as samson's golden hair in the black market...but hell that works too lol

Saints-Tigers
08-11-2011, 12:55 PM
I thought it was SuperSaiyan Growth Hormone.

Monomach
08-11-2011, 01:00 PM
I thought it was just "Super Girly Hair."

descendency
08-11-2011, 02:50 PM
Randy Moss says it's "So G, Homie."

tjsunstein
08-11-2011, 03:22 PM
http://www.jimrome.com/cimages/var/ezjimrome/storage/images/repository/photos/charles-woodson-super-bowl-xlv-green-bay-packers-vs.-pittsburgh-steelers3/311080-1-eng-US/Charles-Woodson-Super-Bowl-XLV-Green-Bay-Packers-vs.-Pittsburgh-Steelers_photo_medium.jpg

Lmao, we're still on the Packers' injuries thing? It's that still a trending topic on #draftcountdown? I can play too. Try that one for size. Sums up the Packers season quite nicely.

Philliez01
08-11-2011, 03:25 PM
http://www.jimrome.com/cimages/var/ezjimrome/storage/images/repository/photos/charles-woodson-super-bowl-xlv-green-bay-packers-vs.-pittsburgh-steelers3/311080-1-eng-US/Charles-Woodson-Super-Bowl-XLV-Green-Bay-Packers-vs.-Pittsburgh-Steelers_photo_medium.jpg

Lmao, we're still on the Packers' injuries thing? It's that still a trending topic on #draftcountdown? I can play too. Try that one for size. Sums up the Packers season quite nicely.

What's Aaron Rodgers doing in the background?

prock
08-11-2011, 04:01 PM
Jesus Christ, if I hear one more story about a Packers injury or a Packer fan bitching about it, I will go insane. You won the Super Bowl, you are being over dramatic, your hair is gross.

I hope Aaron Rodgers gets hurt so we can hear tjs and PL ***** about injuries this season too. Actually, they should probably just have all their backups get hurt again, that would be better.

V.I.P
08-11-2011, 04:04 PM
Jesus Christ, if I hear one more story about a Packers injury or a Packer fan bitching about it, I will go insane. You won the Super Bowl, you are being over dramatic, your hair is gross.

I hope Aaron Rodgers gets hurt so we can hear tjs and PL ***** about injuries this season too. Actually, they should probably just have all their backups get hurt again, that would be better.

In before the riot starts.

niel89
08-11-2011, 04:05 PM
I know I'm sick of it too. There is this fly in my room who just keeps talking about the Injuriezzzzzzzzz and Jordyzzzzzzzz.

J-Mike88
08-11-2011, 04:22 PM
I heard Cris Carter guess that 10% of the league uses HGH. Of course, he's a bitter old guy who wants to be remembered...... but Matthews would be a prime suspect for sure.

Time will tell how all that plays out.

Gay Ork Wang
08-11-2011, 04:22 PM

I concur wholeheartedly

PACKmanN
08-11-2011, 04:26 PM

neither the thread or the post that started the packers injuries was by a Packers fan...

yo123
08-11-2011, 04:28 PM

It's absolutely mind boggling that you haven't grasped yet that it's still around because you react to it.

Gay Ork Wang
08-11-2011, 04:29 PM
neither the thread or the post that started the packers injuries was by a Packers fan...
your overreaction keeps it alive.

Raiderz4Life
08-11-2011, 04:29 PM

I'm going to agree with this as well.

PACKmanN
08-11-2011, 04:31 PM

wasn`t an overreaction, just stating two facts.

BloodBrother
08-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Jesus Christ, if I hear one more story about a Packers injury or a Packer fan bitching about it, I will go insane

You're a Vikes fan so you are already clearly insane

prock
08-11-2011, 04:35 PM
You just don't get it. It isn't complicated. Tj cries because Borat makes a joke about Packers injuries because all of last season you guys constantly bitched about injuries. And the jokes are still funny, especially because you guys still react over it and get all butthurt by the fact people make fun of you.

PACKERS INJURIEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I resign from this thread.

PackerLegend
08-11-2011, 04:40 PM

PL as in me? I dont think I have ever brought up the Packers injuries.... Now Claymakers sexy golden locks... well thats another story I talk about them all the time becuase I just cant get enough.. His hair gives me a big ol stiffy.

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/243366/CLAY-MATTHEWS-MEDIA-DAY-HAIR.jpg

Plus bitchzz cant get enough of dat **** just like me... That chick above is the one I posted below... Not bad, Id let her stroke my goldenlocks too which would eventually move to her stroking down south.

http://www.theplace2.ru/archive/maria_menounos/img/31234.jpg

CC.SD
08-11-2011, 09:14 PM
Packers had injuriez

Borat
08-11-2011, 09:40 PM
My badzzz. Just playin around with the injuries meme from last year. But TJS, if you want to play scoreboard with Lombardi trophies, I'm game.

cvv84
08-12-2011, 08:06 AM

I'd be butt hurt too if Christian Ponder was my QB

elway=goat
08-15-2011, 12:55 AM

A fracture small or large is a break of the bone.

Bengalsrocket
08-15-2011, 01:16 AM
A fracture small or large is a break of the bone.

That is correct. However, there are degrees to accuracy.

Saying "Clay Matthews played on a lower-leg stress fracture" is different (and also more accurate) than saying "Clay Matthews played on a broken leg" even if they both are technically correct.

tjsunstein
08-15-2011, 01:36 AM
The board's overreaction to a Packers' fan's reaction keeps it alive.
You just don't get it. It isn't complicated. Tj cries because Borat makes a joke about Packers injuries because all of last season you guys constantly bitched about injuries. And the jokes are still funny, especially because you guys still react over it and get all butthurt by the fact people make fun of you.

PACKERS INJURIEZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

I resign from this thread.
Clearly I'm crying as I start my post with Lmao. I see the board is still sensitive to it. You guys get more worked up than Packers fans. We have the satisfaction of a Lombardi trophy once again. The jokes are still funny to us because the joke is on you.
My badzzz. Just playin around with the injuries meme from last year. But TJS, if you want to play scoreboard with Lombardi trophies, I'm game.
I'll go one better, how well versed are you in NFL Championships?

If the board stops bringing up Packers' injuries, Packers' fans will stop defending their team, and then this thread wouldn't have 20 posts indicating how much each individual hates talking about them.

Please resume talking about Brady vs. Manning or Josh Freeman for MVP because they were more relevant to the Packers' injuries. Just kidding, they weren't. It was the biggest storyline of the year, especially losing Driver, and Woodson for the Super Bowl, and Shields for some time too. But yeah, those guys were just back ups, right prock?

niel89
08-15-2011, 01:43 AM
ZzZzZzZzZz

Borat
08-15-2011, 02:54 AM
InjurieZzZzZzZzZz

fixed your post

yo123
08-15-2011, 02:00 PM
Edit- oh nevermind. Injuriezzzz.

DraftSavant
08-15-2011, 02:10 PM

Wait, you mean it's not natural to gain 80 lbs of lean muscle mass? Remember, this kid was a 165 lb safety as a junior in high school.

Merriman, part 2? I don't think it's any coincidence that Merriman is apparently playing at a high level in an offseason that no PED testing.

Also, to the person saying the first suspension would be a K or P...go look at Billy Cundiff's touchback statistics. Find the anomaly in the numbers. You'll be flabbergasted.