PDA

View Full Version : Hall Of Fame Snubs

The Alex
08-11-2011, 01:00 AM
With the recent induction of six players into the Hall of Fame, I can't help but think of all the guys out there who have legitimate cases for enshrinement but for one reason or another, they just can't seem to get enough votes.

Cris Carter is the first name that comes to mind for me. At the time of his retirement, he was second all-time in receptions, third all-time in receiving yards and second all-time in touchdown receptions. Yet, this somehow isn't good enough for the board of selectors. He has now been snubbed four times in a row and this past year, he wasn't even a finalist. Did he really piss off the media that much during his career? From what I remember, he was never a gigantic distraction like TO. Regardless, attitude shouldn't outweigh credentials and even more so when they're as good as Cris Carter's. I have a feeling I won't be the only one bringing him up in this thread. Which is why I have another name that is almost never talked about for the Hall Of Fame, but should be. I'm not going to name him, yet. I'm going to compare him with two other players during the same era. Here are the credentials...

Per Sixteen Games

Player A: 75 receptions, 1197 yards, 6 touchdowns
Player B: 75 receptions, 950 yards, 9 touchdowns
Player C: 85 receptions, 1162 yards, 9 touchdowns

Years Leading NFL in Receptions

Player A: 0
Player B: 1
Player C: 3

Years Leading NFL in Receiving Yards

Player A: 1
Player B: 0
Player C: 1

Years Leading NFL in Touchdown Receptions

Player A: 0
Player B: 3
Player C: 2

First-Team All-Pro

Player A: 1-time
Player B: 2-time
Player C: 3-time

Player A is Michael Irvin, he made into the Hall of Fame on the first ballot. Player B is Cris Carter, a fellow overlooked player and one of the most productive receivers of all-time. Just who is Player C? Sterling Sharpe. He lead the NFL in receptions more times than either Irvin or Carter, he lead the NFL in yards as many times as Irvin and he lead the NFL in touchdown receptions only one time less than Carter. Per full season, Sharpe caught more passes than either of them along with as many touchdowns as Carter and only a handful of yards less than Irvin. He was named as a first-team All-Pro as many times as Carter and Irvin COMBINED. Carter and Irvin both played over a decade in the NFL; sixteen and twelve seasons respectively. Sharpe only played seven seasons yet was far more dominant than either of them. He also had a godly streak of 34 consecutive games with at least 4 receptions.

Hopefully the board of selectors listen to Shannon Sharpe's plea to give his brother a consideration the next time they vote. It'll be long overdue.

bearsfan_51
08-11-2011, 01:01 AM
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48274

The Alex
08-11-2011, 01:02 AM
I'm such a dummy. I read your thread as 2011 Hal of Fame class and thought it was a discussion on the recent enshrinement. My mistake. Can a mod merge my thread with his?