#49 Phi- DeSean Jackson, California
#51 Was- Malcolm Kelly, Oklahoma
#53 Pit- Limas Sweed, Texas
(#55- Ray Rice, #56- Brian Brohm)
#58 TB- Dexter Jackson, Appalachian State

#205 Ind- Pierre Garcon, Mt Union
#217 GB- Brett Swain, San Diego St
#224 Buf- Stevie Johnson, Kentucky

How many of these 3-year receivers have had their careers already de-railed because of leg/knee injuries?

10 WR's taken in the 2nd round, after zero went in round one.

Go_Eagles77
08-12-2011, 02:00 PM
I just touched upon this in the FA thread, but it is a good thread idea.

My top 5 from 08:

1. James Hardy
2. Devin Thomas
3. Malcolm Kelly
4. DeSean Jackson
5. Limas Sweed

I thought Hardy, Thomas and Kelly could all be legit #1 guys, Sweed would be a good number 2 and Jackson would be strictly a deep threat/pro bowl-caliber punt returner. Glad the eagles ended up with the guy they did because the other 4 guys are pretty much Training Camp fodder at this point, pretty crazy.

Scotty D
08-12-2011, 02:02 PM
Watch out for Jerome Simpson this year.

Raiderz4Life
08-12-2011, 02:03 PM
lol He went in the 4th rd but I remember there was quite a few ppl who believed Lavelle Hawkins would be better pro than D-Jax because he was a better route rouner and more pro ready.

Go_Eagles77
08-12-2011, 02:12 PM
lol He went in the 4th rd but I remember there was quite a few ppl who believed Lavelle Hawkins would be better pro than D-Jax because he was a better route rouner and more pro ready.

Yeah, DeSean got a lot of hate on here before the draft, and I'm the first to admit that I was vehemently against the eagles drafting him in the 1st round because I didn't think he would live up to that draft slot. I actually got pretty excited when they got him in the 2nd though because like I mentioned above, I thought he'd be good for the occasional big play on offense and would provide a spark on special teams (our punt return unit in particular in 07 was abysmal). That's pretty good value for a 2nd rounder.

Couldn't be happier that I (and NFL teams) vastly underestimated him.

Raiderz4Life
08-12-2011, 02:14 PM
I wasn't a huge DeSean fan either. Didn't believe he'd turn into such a good player, but man did he shut me up haha

Go_Eagles77
08-12-2011, 02:22 PM
I wasn't a huge DeSean fan either. Didn't believe he'd turn into such a good player, but man did he shut me up haha

I think the combine really hurt his stock when he showed up at 5'9 169, not many WRs make something of themselves at that size. That along with the character concerns was enough to make teams pass him up for someone else I guess.
I was shocked when Donnie Avery was the 1st WR taken, but while he has been a bit of a disappointment he's still shown a lot more than most of the WRs taken after him. Same goes for Jordy Nelson.
Also, what happened to Eddie Royal? May have had a better rookie season than DeSean and I haven't heard his name much since.

K Train
08-12-2011, 02:24 PM
this is sweeds YEAR

V.I.P
08-12-2011, 02:29 PM
We drafted Dexter Jack (WR) 3 picks ahead of DeSean Jackson =[

I don't even think Dexter is on a NFL practice squad right now.

Raiderz4Life
08-12-2011, 02:30 PM
I think the combine really hurt his stock when he showed up at 5'9 169, not many WRs make something of themselves at that size. That along with the character concerns was enough to make teams pass him up for someone else I guess.
I was shocked when Donnie Avery was the 1st WR taken, but while he has been a bit of a disappointment he's still shown a lot more than most of the WRs taken after him. Same goes for Jordy Nelson.
Also, what happened to Eddie Royal? May have had a better rookie season than DeSean and I haven't heard his name much since.

I think what's killing Donnie and Eddie are injuries. I know Donnie's been getting hurt a lot.

ElectricEye
08-12-2011, 02:33 PM
I was a pretty big Desean Jackson fan. I didn't think he would be a true #1 receiver, but I thought he would be a pretty effective weapon in the passing game with his vertical speed. The character concerns bothered me at the time too though.

Thomas is the guy who has been the biggest disappointment out of all. Here's a guy with an ideal size to speed combination (6'2 215, 4.4 40) and a brief but productive college career who has just amounted to absolutely nothing so far and is already on his third team. I had him as my top guy in the class after James Hardy's issues became more apparent. I think I've heard there's some sort of work ethic issue with him. That and how raw he was has just ruined a guy with a lot of potential.

Diehard
08-12-2011, 02:34 PM

Eddie really struggled with the read/option elements of McD's passing attack. Why McD wasn't willing to adjust his scheme to fit the players is a bit of a mystery, but apparently the problem was obvious from the evaluations done by the new staff.

Now that Eddie's getting a chance to focus on what he does best, I suspect he'll put up some decent numbers again.

Raiderz4Life
08-12-2011, 02:34 PM
Yea pretty much. I had him pegged as probably the only WR who could break the 1st rd. But rly just a bust.

keylime_5
08-12-2011, 02:40 PM
The only guy I really liked in that class was Desean Jackson. I thought he shouldve went top 15 with his speed and playmaking ability in college. Thomas I was kinda lukewarm on. Upon further review, Royal is a decent slot guy, Nelson is pretty good, and I think Jerome Simpson is gonna be a very good one after what he showed late last season. Not sure Cincinnati is a great fit for his skills though with their new WCO and Andy Dalton.

ChiFan24
08-12-2011, 02:40 PM
I actually did a pretty decent job evaluating these guys, by my standards.

1. Devin Thomas
2. DeSean Jackson
3. Donnie Avery
4. Jordy Nelson
5. Earl Bennett
6. Andre Caldwell
7. Josh Morgan
8. Malcolm Kelly
9. Limas Sweed
10. Eddie Royal

Maybe I have low standards for myself......but I ranked Kelly and Sweed lower than most, didn't rank Hardy, and made a nice call ranking Josh Morgan higher than most. I did love Devin Thomas though, so dock points for that. Also I'm not sure why I loved Andre Caldwell so much.

703SKINS202
08-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Worst. draft . ever.

nepg
08-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Eh...I had DeSean Jackson as a Top 10 pick. Thought teams were ******** for passing on him, and was right. An example of teams/people talking a guy down because he wasn't the hip new thing.

Happened with Oher, happened with Adrian Peterson, it happened with DeSean Jackson, and I'm thinking it happened to Jake Locker (even though the Titans swooped in and saved the rest of the NFL from looking completely stupid) and Ryan Mallett as well.

Aside from Jackson and Jordyzzz, I hated that WR class.

General Zod
08-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Watch out for Jerome Simpson this year.

Yeah maybe a Bengals fan can tell me why he was in Lewis's doghouse for so long? The guy has looked really good at times when he was givin opportunities.

Pat Sims 90
08-12-2011, 03:27 PM
Yeah maybe a Bengals fan can tell me why he was in Lewis's doghouse for so long? The guy has looked really good at times when he was givin opportunities.

He was never in his Doghouse he just had trouble learning the playbook and running the right routes.

K Train
08-12-2011, 03:30 PM
Eh...I had DeSean Jackson as a Top 10 pick. Thought teams were ******** for passing on him, and was right. An example of teams/people talking a guy down because he wasn't the hip new thing.

Happened with Oher, happened with Adrian Peterson, it happened with DeSean Jackson, and I'm thinking it happened to Jake Locker (even though the Titans swooped in and saved the rest of the NFL from looking completely stupid) and Ryan Mallett as well.

Aside from Jackson and Jordyzzz, I hated that WR class.

he was never a top 10 prospect....even now he hasnt performed like a top 10 pick would be expected to so im not sure you can just claim yourself as being 100% right. hes a one trick pony on offense, but dangerous with the ball and a hell of a return man. i guess it would have been better than taking ted ginn top 10, but thats not saying much and everyone knew that was ********

i agree he was over analyzed, but still wasnt top 10 especially at that size....too ballsy to pour that much money into a player like him

dj825
08-12-2011, 03:31 PM
I remember talking to a friend of mine about the WR class in that draft after the combine and he was talking about Devin Thomas and how he felt Thomas was the best WR because "hes mixes Steve Smiths speed and playmaking ability with Muhsin Muhammeds size and hands with Ricky Proehls route running". I actually liked DeSean for his speed and he reminded me of Steve Smith in every way...and he said i was stupid...

K Train
08-12-2011, 03:34 PM
aside from being short and fast jackson and smith arent really alike. smith is beefy nd despite being 5-9 he plays like hes 6-10, jackson is a twig and nice on the bomb and in space, but so far thats where it ends for him.

i remember an article that year comparing who was better and should be the first WR taken james hardy or adarius bowman lol

dj825
08-12-2011, 03:37 PM
aside from being short and fast jackson and smith arent really alike. smith is beefy nd despite being 5-9 he plays like hes 6-10, jackson is a twig and nice on the bomb and in space, but so far thats where it ends for him.

yeah i was wrong on him being like Smitty in every way, i admit that. i still wish Carolina would have taken him though, i dont think we would be having the problems we have now if we would have.

J-Mike88
08-12-2011, 03:45 PM
WR's have almost always been crapshoots. This draft is the perfect example of that, but guys like Charles Rogers are other classic examples.

There is so much more to that position succeeding in the NFL than size, speed, measurables.

Guy has to have smarts to learn the routes.
Has to have heart to have courage to run the routes (DeSean has it).
He needs a good offensive coordinator.
Needs a good or great QB.
And he needs good luck with health.

People still crucify the NY Jets for taking Al Toon over Jerry Rice, but Toon was a super receiver but ultimately concussions did him in.
Plus Ken O'Brien was no Montana or Young.

J-Mike88
08-12-2011, 03:47 PM
We drafted Dexter Jack (WR) 3 picks ahead of DeSean Jackson =[
Not by my math.

ChiFan24
08-12-2011, 04:24 PM
People still crucify the NY Jets for taking Al Toon over Jerry Rice, but Toon was a super receiver but ultimately concussions did him in.
Plus Ken O'Brien was no Montana or Young.

Well.....that's stupid.

49ersfan_87
08-12-2011, 04:26 PM
I thought Josh Morgan was going to be a very good receiver after 2008, but it must just have been the Martz effect. He's looked mediocre the last 2 years and probably shouldn't be higher than #3 on a depth chart.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Don't forget Mario Manningham. He was a steal in the 3rd round due to weed and if I remember correctly something with his IQ test. But supposedly he was a 1st to 2nd round grade on him. He had a great year last year and we look for him to built off of that.

ElectricEye
08-12-2011, 04:51 PM
Don't forget Mario Manningham. He was a steal in the 3rd round due to weed and if I remember correctly something with his IQ test. But supposedly he was a 1st to 2nd round grade on him. He had a great year last year and we look for him to built off of that.

He also ran WAY slower than expected. Ran mid 4.6 at the combine.

Giantsfan1080
08-12-2011, 04:53 PM

That was only because he was high at the time as evidenced by his drug test and Wonderlic score.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-12-2011, 04:56 PM

Actually that does sound familiar. Haha, add another one to "negative" to the mix. However, as a fan watching him play thus far anyone can tell he has great game speed. He is not slow by any means.

Either way, he was a homerun player for us. I remember when we first drafted him. I forgot he was on the board, until I saw the name flash. I thought he was a big time steal assuming he can be fixed. He has been fine thus far and has adjusted well.

tjsunstein
08-12-2011, 05:03 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_CotBYlX8vUU/TVDCWHO0jpI/AAAAAAAAAAw/mNoKU17-otM/s1600/alg_jordy_nelson_interception.jpg

Monomach
08-12-2011, 06:43 PM
Oh, man. I HATED that WR class (yes, even JordyzZz). I remember telling people that that draft could have a starting RB for every team in the NFL, but not a single #1 wideout.

Complex
08-12-2011, 07:01 PM
I had it like this

1.Malcom Kelly
2.Lima Sweed
3.Dexter Jackson
4.Desean Jackson
5.Adarius Bowman

I forget why I liked Adarius but I did.

J-Mike88
08-12-2011, 11:06 PM
I had it like this

1.Malcom Kelly
2.Lima Sweed
3.Dexter Jackson
4.Desean Jackson
5.Adarius Bowman

I forget why I liked Adarius but I did.
I admit I liked Adarius also... something about one massive game I think I remember him playing for Oklahoma St once.... like 300 yards in a game.... he looked unstoppable.
Dexter had a boost because he was coming off the Appalachian State shocking upset in Ann Arbor, shined more of a spotlight on him.
Where is he now? Haven't seen him since the draft 7 months after that game.

Hurricanes25
08-13-2011, 02:15 PM
Last I heard, Dexter jackson was going to play in the UFL this year. And lets be honest about him, the Michigan game made him become overrated.

Ness
08-13-2011, 02:19 PM
Last I heard, Dexter jackson was going to play in the UFL this year. And lets be honest about him, the Michigan game made him become overrated.

Wow he's already out of the NFL?

Hurricanes25
08-13-2011, 02:24 PM
Wow he's already out of the NFL?

Yep. The sad thing is, he was a 2nd round pcik who never caught a pass in the NFL.

V.I.P
08-13-2011, 02:50 PM
Not by my math.

ahah had it the other way around, but we still missed out ...

Flyboy
08-13-2011, 03:13 PM
I wasn't big on this WR class at all except for DeSean Jackson - felt he was a stud and should have went Top 10. I remember Geo and I pimpin' him pretty hard around the time of the draft.

Rosebud
08-13-2011, 04:06 PM
That was only because he was high at the time as evidenced by his drug test and Wonderlic score.

You must spread some rep around before giving it to Giantsfan1080 again.

soybean
08-13-2011, 08:41 PM

not to mention he underperformed his junior year and got shut down by Tennessee Dbacks.

Caddy
08-13-2011, 08:45 PM
I wanted Desean so badly that year... :(