PDA

View Full Version : All-Decade Stuff

J-Mike88
08-14-2011, 04:03 PM
I see a lot of prediction threads for this season.
I want to hear some opinions of the rest of the decade. Why not?
This year is a guess for us, so is the next batch of years.

Couple questions:
#1- Will San Diego win a Super Bowl?
I don't think so. They never have before, they got their closest under LaDainian and Marty. I don't think Rivers will ever get a ring. Now if Brady and Manning ever fall apart and retire, if Rivers is still going strong and they make their team better, sure it's possible. I'd bet against it.

#2- Will Baltimore fall back when Ray Lewis and Ed Reed retire? With them, they've been good for so long. I don't think guys like that can be replaced, obviously, so is Baltimore's window almost shut tight?

#3- Will New England win a Super Bowl again? They had the amazing post-season stretch where from 01-04, they won 3 Super Bowls. But since then, Brady has been more Neil O'Donnell like in post-season than Joe Montana.

#4- Are the Eagles going to finally get a ring? They've had good teams before, but none as good as this one. Coach Reid has had a long run of success, can he win it all?

#5- They say the Packers are built to potentially be a dynasty. I don't think we'll ever see a dynasty in the NFL again. The Patriots winning 3/4 early this decade, and the Cowboys 3/4 in the early/mid 90's was a great run, but I don't think those were even dynasties. Still, if the Packers win 2 of the next 3 Super Bowls, I'd take whatever it's called. But I think there is too much parity at all levels for anyone to win 3 out of 4 these days. Remember, the Packers were lucky to even win their Wildcard game at Philly. Luck usually evens out.

ALL-DECADE TEAM
Predict the offical All-Decade Team of the 10's.

Here is the 00's one for reference.
2000s NFL All-Decade Team

QB Tom Brady Patriots
QB Peyton Manning Colts
RB Shaun Alexander Seahawks
RB Jamal Lewis Ravens, Browns
RB Edgerrin James Colts, Cardinals
RB LaDainian Tomlinson Chargers
WR Marvin Harrison Colts
WR Torry Holt Rams, Jaguars
WR Randy Moss Vikings, Raiders, Patriots
WR Terrell Owens 49ers, Eagles, Cowboys, Bills
FB Lorenzo Neal Titans, Bengals, Chargers, Ravens
TE Antonio Gates Chargers
TE Tony Gonzalez Chiefs, Falcons
OT Walter Jones Seahawks
OT Jonathan Ogden Ravens
OT Orlando Pace Rams, Bears
OT William Roaf Saints, Chiefs
OG Larry Allen Cowboys
OG Alan Faneca Steelers, Jets
OG Steve Hutchinson Seahawks, Vikings
OG Will Shields Chiefs
C Olin Kreutz Bears
C Kevin Mawae Jets, Titans

DE Dwight Freeney Colts
DE Julius Peppers Panthers
DE Michael Strahan Giants
DE Jason Taylor Dolphins
DT La'Roi Glover Saints, Cowboys, Rams
DT Warren Sapp Buccaneers, Raiders
DT Richard Seymour Patriots, Raiders
DT Kevin Williams Vikings
LB Derrick Brooks Buccaneers
LB Ray Lewis Ravens
LB Joey Porter Steelers, Dolphins
LB Zach Thomas Dolphins, Cowboys, Chiefs
LB Brian Urlacher Bears
LB DeMarcus Ware Cowboys
S Brian Dawkins Eagles, Broncos
S Troy Polamalu Steelers
S Ed Reed Ravens
S Darren Sharper Packers, Vikings, Saints
CB Ronde Barber Buccaneers
CB Champ Bailey Redskins, Broncos
CB Ty Law Patriots, Jets, Chiefs, Broncos
CB Charles Woodson Raiders, Packers

BTW, here is the 1990's one. How does it compare? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Football_League_1990s_All-Decade_Team#Offense

So Elway and Favre were the 90's QBs.
Montana and Marino were the 80's QBs.
Manning and Brady the 00's QBs.
Who will be the 10's QBs?
Can Brady hang on and keep doing this for 5+ more years?
Nobody else seemed to get on 2 All-Decade teams.

Remember, it all starts with this past 2010 season so everything before that doesn't count towards this All-Decade team. Of course, last year was statistically Brady's 2nd best behind the recrod-setting 07 season.

I'll go with Rodgers and go out on a limb and say Matt Ryan, but there's a lot of what-if-ness going forward at that position. And with the lone Marino exception, it takes a ring for the QB to get here.

RBs are hard to say cuz they don't last like they used to.
Adrian Peterson is an obvious choice, but if he burns out in 4 years, he won't have done anything for the final half of the decade so it will be tough.

I'll go out on a limb with these 4 RBs:
-Peterson
-CJ2K
-Mark Ingram
-Blount (but he might not last long with that physical style)

WR
-Calvin Johnson
-Larry Fitzgerald
-Andre Johnson
-Roddy White

Hard to leave my Jennings off the team considering he's right there, and has a ring already. He vs Roddy White is a tough call at this point.

TE
-Jermichael Finley
-Vernon Davis

I'll leave the OL and defense for you guys. Remember, we're just 1/10th of the way thru the decade so don't put someone like Ed Reed or LaDanian on this team going forward......

7DnBrnc53
08-14-2011, 04:24 PM
2010 All decade predictions

QB

Ben Roethlisberger
Sam Bradford

RB

Adrian Peterson
Mark Ingram
Marcus Lattimore

WR

Dwayne Bowe
Calvin Johnson
Julio Jones
Roddy White

TE

Rob Gronkowski
Julius Thomas

OT

Ryan Clady
Joe Thomas

OG

Mike Iupati
Zane Beadles

C

Markice Pouncey

DE

Quinton Coples
Mario Williams

DT

Ndamukong Suh
B.J. Raji

OLB

Von Miller
Cameron Wake

ILB

Vontaze Burflict
Rolando McClain

CB

Nnamdi Asomugha
Devin McCourty

S

Rahim Moore
Louis Delmas

K

Matt Prater

P

Zoltan Mesko

J-Mike88
08-14-2011, 09:35 PM
Nice work... I almost put Marcus Lattimore too!
Nnamdi is already like 31 isn't he?
If Ben makes that team (remember it started this past year), I'd be shocked.

Bradford, Freeman, Stafford have the time and possibility. Bradford's team has a long way to go though.

I'd take Mike Williams over Bowe going forward, but nice limb there.

boknows34
08-14-2011, 11:01 PM
Nice work... I almost put Marcus Lattimore too!
Nnamdi is already like 31 isn't he?
If Ben makes that team (remember it started this past year), I'd be shocked.

Bradford, Freeman, Stafford have the time and possibility. Bradford's team has a long way to go though.

I'd take Mike Williams over Bowe going forward, but nice limb there.

I'd go Aaron Rodgers over Big Ben. Revis over Aso. Bradford, Freeman, Stafford all good shouts for that 2nd QB spot as is Andrew Luck of course.

Ness
08-14-2011, 11:07 PM
Dang, I thought this said All-Decade staff.

tjsunstein
08-15-2011, 12:24 AM
#1- Will San Diego win a Super Bowl? Nope, not in the next 10 years. They missed their window, I think. They don't have any impact players on defense.

#2- Will Baltimore fall back when Ray Lewis and Ed Reed retire? Absolutely, it's only natural. It will be interesting to see how they handle the losses.

#3- Will New England win a Super Bowl again? I've learned to never doubt BB and Brady. Their defense still worries me, though. Not as complete as a team and some others in the NFL. They do know how to put it together, though.

#4- Are the Eagles going to finally get a ring? They could but winning a Super Bowl is no easy task. I don't think they do it this year. With no offseason, it isn't easy to just plug players in the way they are hoping too.

#5- The Packers have the making of the next dynasty but it's always hard to put something like that together. They have an elite player on just about every level of offense and defense, and a 'good enough' running game. They're young and talented. At this point, they have to be the favorites to make the next run. Do I think they do it? My answer would be blinded by me being a homer.

Saints-Tigers
08-15-2011, 12:46 AM
This is the first I've ever heard of the Packers being a dynasty.

tjsunstein
08-15-2011, 01:05 AM
QB Aaron Rodgers
QB Josh Freeman
RB Adrian Peterson
RB Chris Johnson
RB Jamal Charles
RB Trent Richardson
WR Andre Johnson
WR Roddy White
WR Hakeem Nicks
WR Calvin Johnson
TE Jermichael Finley
TE Aaron Hernandez
OT Joe Thomas
OT D'Brickashaw Ferguson
OT Jake Long
OT Bryan Bulaga
OG Logan Mankins
OG Josh Sitton
OG Carl Nicks
OG Jahri Evans
C Alex Mack
C Maurkice Pouncey

DE Mario Williams
DE Haloti Ngata
DE Jason Pierre-Paul
DE Charles Johnson
DT Ndamukong Suh
DT B.J. Raji
DT Marcel Dareus
DT Nick Fairley
LB Patrick Willis
LB Clay Matthews
LB Jon Beason
LB Brian Cushing
LB Vontaze Burfict
LB Von Miller
S Eric Berry
S Nick Collins
S Earl Thomas
S Louis Delmas
CB Patrick Peterson
CB Joe Haden
CB Tramon Williams
CB Darrelle Revis

Definitely missed some names.

tjsunstein
08-15-2011, 01:08 AM
This is the first I've ever heard of the Packers being a dynasty.
Key word in the original post is potentially. Let's not overlook that. No one is calling them a dynasty. In fact, he actually says he doesn't think he'll ever see a dynasty in the NFL again...

RCAChainGang
08-15-2011, 03:34 AM
Key word in the original post is potentially. Let's not overlook that. No one is calling them a dynasty. In fact, he actually says he doesn't think he'll ever see a dynasty in the NFL again...

It is weird to think about Dynasties coming to an end. I can see the thought process behind that, but I think we will see some more. It might be a while before some teams can clearly dominate the postseason consistently again. Especially since you have seen teams that have struggled in the regular season go on a run and destroy the competition. (2005 Steelers onward)

tjsunstein
08-15-2011, 06:13 AM
Definitely missed some names is right. Being as this is counted as last season too, I'm subbing Tramon Williams in for Devin McCourty.

SolidGold
08-15-2011, 07:39 AM
I think Jason Witten should be part of your all 2000s team. He is the best all around TE in the game.

The Alex
08-15-2011, 08:05 AM
I have a feeling this is going to lead to an argument about when a decade stops and ends. Anyway, it's kind of impossible to predict the next all-decade team considering at least a quarter of it will be made up of high school seniors right now.

Oh and FYI people, the list at the beginning is the AP's selection for the previous decade.

J-Mike88
08-15-2011, 10:47 AM
I think Jason Witten should be part of your all 2000s team. He is the best all around TE in the game.
The all 00's team has already come and gone, named by the AP. I listed it above.
The next decade's all-Decade team is the 10's, which is the season 2010 on forward to 2019.

It pretty much has to be someone who's going to still be at the top of the league in 5, 6, 7, and/or 8, 9 years.

It's why you never saw a QB on more than one all-decade team above, and to be as realistic and accurate as possible, I don't think we should guess that it's gonna change this decade we've just started.

So anyone on the all 00's team would not appear on the next one. Could it happen? Sure.

Predicting longevity is harder than predicting greatness I believe. But we can do it anyway..... nobody's gonna be perfect.

Trent Richardson has a chance.
Maybe Andrew Luck if he has a Matt Ryan-like rookie season, and his team becomes good right away.... and they eventually have some playoff and/or Super Bowl success.

Did anyone put Julio or AJ yet on here?

Go_Eagles77
08-15-2011, 11:45 AM
QB Aaron Rodgers
QB Jake Locker
RB Chris Johnson
RB Mark Ingram
RB Marcus Lattimore
RB Jamaal Charles
WR Dez Bryant
WR DeSean Jackson
WR Alshon Jeffery
WR AJ Green
TE Dan Gronkowski
TE Jermaine Gresham
OT Joe Thomas
OT Jake Long
OT Jonathan Martin
OT Trent Williams
OG Logan Mankins
OG Danny Watkins
OG Jahri Evans
OG Cordy Glenn
C Nick Mangold
C Maurkice Pouncey

DE Jason Pierre-Paul
DE Robert Quinn
DE Brian Orakpo
DE Brandon Graham
DT Ndamukong Suh
DT Gerald McCoy
DT BJ Raji
DT Jared Crick
LB Patrick Willis
LB Clay Matthews
LB Von Miller
LB Jerod Mayo
LB Aldon Smith
LB Zach Brown
S Eric Berry
S Nate Allen
S Earl Thomas
S Tyvon Branch
CB Darelle Revis
CB Devin McCourty
CB Joe Haden
CB Patrick Peterson

K Alex Henery
P Zoltan Mesko

I was keeping it to guys who I think will be at the top of their game for 9 or 10 years of the decade, though looking at the 2000s list that was way too strict because there's guys who came in the league halfway through. Oh well, I'll just leave it as it is.

tjsunstein
08-15-2011, 02:57 PM
It was particularly tough because you want to put some guys that haven't been drafted yet in there. It's just hard to figure out what their situation coming into the league may be. I feel like Richardson will be a feature back on any team and buck the trend of the RBBC wherever he goes. Burfict has a nasty demeanor and a ton of talent, and plays at a position where it isn't uncommon for guys to come in and make an immediate impact. It'd be harder to put a guy like Barkley on there because he may sit a couple years. Luck is different, I think he sits one tops (if at all).

Offensive line may have been the easiest to fill in. Once you establish yourself in the NFL as one of the elite, and don't get hurt. There's a very good chance you will reign at that position for years to come.

Everywhere else, you had to guess where their prime would be. Some don't start producing until their late 20s (Tramon Williams), early 30s (don't think I included anyone in their 30s). Others are 3rd year players making pro bowls. Although it isn't unreasonable to think that a guy that is 30 right now won't be able to make it.

My logic was picking guys who would have 5-7 years of top of the line production. And most of the guys on my list have had 1 already.

tjsunstein
08-15-2011, 03:02 PM
I have a feeling this is going to lead to an argument about when a decade stops and ends. Anyway, it's kind of impossible to predict the next all-decade team considering at least a quarter of it will be made up of high school seniors right now.

Oh and FYI people, the list at the beginning is the AP's selection for the previous decade.
There is no argument for when it starts and ends. Started in the beginning of the 2010 season and ends after the 2019 season.

It's certainly not impossible to predict a majority of the players, and a quarter certainly aren't coming from current high school seniors. That would mean by the time they graduate (2012) and do their 3 years (2015) they have 5 football seasons to make an all-decade team. Possible? Sure. But a quarter of that list will not be made up by them.

J-Mike88
08-15-2011, 03:29 PM
QB Aaron Rodgers
QB Jake Locker
RB Chris Johnson
RB Mark Ingram
RB Marcus Lattimore
RB Jamaal Charles
WR Dez Bryant
WR DeSean Jackson
WR Alshon Jeffery
WR AJ Green
TE Dan Gronkowski
TE Jermaine Gresham
OT Joe Thomas
OT Jake Long
OT Jonathan Martin
OT Trent Williams
OG Logan Mankins
OG Danny Watkins
OG Jahri Evans
OG Cordy Glenn
C Nick Mangold
C Maurkice Pouncey

DE Jason Pierre-Paul
DE Robert Quinn
DE Brian Orakpo
DE Brandon Graham
DT Ndamukong Suh
DT Gerald McCoy
DT BJ Raji
DT Jared Crick
LB Patrick Willis
LB Clay Matthews
LB Von Miller
LB Jerod Mayo
LB Aldon Smith
LB Zach Brown
S Eric Berry
S Nate Allen
S Earl Thomas
S Tyvon Branch
CB Darelle Revis
CB Devin McCourty
CB Joe Haden
CB Patrick Peterson

K Alex Henery
P Zoltan Mesko

I was keeping it to guys who I think will be at the top of their game for 9 or 10 years of the decade, though looking at the 2000s list that was way too strict because there's guys who came in the league halfway through. Oh well, I'll just leave it as it is.
Great stuff.
Would hope Morgan Burnett is on there instead of Branch, but as long as Rodgers, Matthews, and Raji are, I think that means good things for my squad.
Hard to believe one of the Patriot TE-by-committee guys, and Gresham on the Bengals will beat out J-Mike at TE.

prock
08-15-2011, 03:36 PM
Morgan Burnett was a third rounder and has played like 3 games.

It's pretty hard to project that for an All Decade team. At least the other guys without any NFL experience were/are top prospects.

J-Mike88
08-15-2011, 03:58 PM
Morgan Burnett was a third rounder and has played like 3 games.

It's pretty hard to project that for an All Decade team. At least the other guys without any NFL experience were/are top prospects.
Very true.
But remember Matthews was a 2nd round prospect, 3rd according to many. Foster went undrafted.... some GMs see something in a guy that others don't.
I wouldn't bet on Burnett either, but the GM and coaches seem to love the guy, so we'll see. If he can stay healthy.

I know many would have put Brandon Meriweather and Kenny Phillips and Taylor Mays on the team when they were still sophomores, lol. Who knows....

San Diego Chicken
08-15-2011, 03:59 PM
#1- Will San Diego win a Super Bowl? Nope, not in the next 10 years. They missed their window, I think. They don't have any impact players on defense.

#2- Will Baltimore fall back when Ray Lewis and Ed Reed retire? Absolutely, it's only natural. It will be interesting to see how they handle the losses.

#3- Will New England win a Super Bowl again? I've learned to never doubt BB and Brady. Their defense still worries me, though. Not as complete as a team and some others in the NFL. They do know how to put it together, though.

#4- Are the Eagles going to finally get a ring? They could but winning a Super Bowl is no easy task. I don't think they do it this year. With no offseason, it isn't easy to just plug players in the way they are hoping too.

#5- The Packers have the making of the next dynasty but it's always hard to put something like that together. They have an elite player on just about every level of offense and defense, and a 'good enough' running game. They're young and talented. At this point, they have to be the favorites to make the next run. Do I think they do it? My answer would be blinded by me being a homer.

It's not that, it's just that people don't know any of them. For example, the Chargers had one of, if not the, top rated nose tackles in the NFL last year and the average fan can't name him.

Unbiased
08-15-2011, 06:52 PM
It's not that, it's just that people don't know any of them. For example, the Chargers had one of, if not the, top rated nose tackles in the NFL last year and the average fan can't name him.

That's because you get workers from Jiffy Lube and turn them into players.

Rosebud
08-16-2011, 03:29 AM
Very true.
But remember Matthews was a 2nd round prospect, 3rd according to many. Foster went undrafted.... some GMs see something in a guy that others don't.
I wouldn't bet on Burnett either, but the GM and coaches seem to love the guy, so we'll see. If he can stay healthy.

I know many would have put Brandon Meriweather and Kenny Phillips and Taylor Mays on the team when they were still sophomores, lol. Who knows....

Kenny P's a bad example. If his knee lasts he could legitimately earn a spot on that list as he plays really smart out there and can make plays all over the field. And he'll be doing so with an outstanding front 4, Kiwi, JPP, Tuck, Canty, Joseph and Austin, and a strong secondary around him, C-Web, Prince, Thomas and Rolle.

cmarq83
08-16-2011, 08:19 AM
Great stuff.
Would hope Morgan Burnett is on there instead of Branch, but as long as Rodgers, Matthews, and Raji are, I think that means good things for my squad.
Hard to believe one of the Patriot TE-by-committee guys, and Gresham on the Bengals will beat out J-Mike at TE.

I would think that there is enough young talented safeties who have flashed something to keep Morgan Burnett off the list for now. I mean off the top of my head I can think of Berry, Thomas, Chung, Delmas, Ward, and Grimm. There are even other guys who could potentially be effective late into their careers like Bethea, Collins, Jackson, and Weddle.

Also, Rob Gronkowski laughs at your Jermichael Finley suggestion. In all seriousness though after one season Rob Gronkowski has the best season of either of the two. He's a far superior blocker, and has been the Patriots best player in camp, so much so that it has pushed Aaron Hernandez to the background. Finley needs to stay healthy, and play a full productive season before he belongs on this list.