PDA

View Full Version : Week 1: New Orleans at Green Bay: SUPER BOWL SHOWDOWN

J-Mike88
08-15-2011, 11:00 AM
It's not too early!
We've been discussing it for weeks on another Packer forum and are on our 9th page looking at the game, the matchup, the Saints.

Who here is going to this game?
I think both offenses are very similar. Pass-heavy. But I think both offenses have a great opportunity to have a surprise solid running game. Kinda like we did to Philly in the WC game where they schemed to contain our passing game, went after Rodgers hard from all angles, but forgot about #44. They didn't know anything about him anyway, but didn't think we'd bother running it.

The Saints have a dangerous Mark Ingram now.
We have 2 good RBs now..... I think whoever stops the run better will win this game, and I'm counting on it being us. But that has been a bit of our achilles heal. We can be run on when not totally focused on stopping it as we do when we play the Vikings now for example.

Contrary, I think we can gouge teams with draws and sneak-runs to Grant and Starks. Teams know our WRs and Rodgers are the bread & butter and they are totally going to sell-out trying to get to Rodgers. Get to the QB. That's in their heads.......

http://i759.photobucket.com/albums/xx231/littleelmsports12/sigs%20and%20avatars/NBCTHINGsaintspackers.jpg

PackerLegend
08-15-2011, 03:40 PM
Everybody knew about our air attack last year and how ineffective we were running alot of games. But even then Rodgers and all our amazing pass catchers were hard to stop. Just imagine if we had some resemblance of a running game to keep teams honest.

I do think our running game will be much better this year. I dont think we will have any trouble putting points up on anyone. On the biggest stage againist the #1 D in points and # 2 D in yards Rodgers torched them for 304 yards, 3 TDs and 0 Int. Starks also had 11 carries for 52 yards a 4.7 avg.... With Grant, Finely coming back and what should be an improved o-line we can put up points on anyone. Hopefully we can be more consistent than last year because some games our O didnt seem to be the same.

Its never easy to stop the Saints on O so we dont want to give them extra chances with turnovers. Its nice that its at Lambeau which should give us an edge. I think the Pack will win... Its hard not to be confident with this team. We were never down by more then 7 last year so we were always in them all.

J-Mike88
08-15-2011, 04:04 PM
Never trailed by more than a touchdown... that's the most amazing stat of the whole year. Unreal.

Rodgers had a great game against the Steelers, but remember, one of our touchdowns was thanks to Collins int-return. Another setup by a short field thanks to Bush's int..... the offense didn't exactly set the scoreboard on fire, we barely won with a +3 turnover edge.

And the ***** Bears defense has bottled us up time & time again with Arod. I want that to change. Starting Sept 25th.

princefielder28
09-07-2011, 03:23 PM
we're about 28 hours from kickoff...can't wait!

Lance Moore has been ruled out for the Saints

Auron
09-07-2011, 04:59 PM
Yeah I'm a Saints fan, as of now I think you guys have the edge in this game.

Few reasons, you should have the emotional edge, the reigning SB Champion has never lost the following Home opener since the NFL went to this Thursday Night format. We have a little more turnover 2 new starters on the O-line, couple new Running backs.. while the changes should be upgrades it will take some time for the them to gel..and the breaker is we have 2 key players out for us this game our best Defensive End, Will Smith. Also our main slot receiver Lance Moore. Those are 2 big inactives while I don't believe the Packers will have any key guys out.

Overall I still think it will be a great game, but those are the reasons why I believe the Saints will come out short. Anyways it's still great to get back to Football.

tjsunstein
09-07-2011, 07:46 PM
Less than 24 hours.

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110324191604/icarly/images/d/d4/Freaking_out_03.gif

J-Mike88
09-07-2011, 09:35 PM
we're about 28 hours from kickoff...can't wait!

Lance Moore has been ruled out for the Saints
That's amazing. Goes to show you that despite all our other injuries, we've been fortunate to have Jennings, Driver, Jones, and Jordy in tact for so much of the past 3 years.

The running games will decide this one (if turnovers, luck, and bad calls don't).
Both defenses have been scheming for 5 months on how to get to the other QB and how to slow down the potent passing games.

Someone will get exploited by the runners, kinda like Starks did in the Wildcard game to the Eagles.

Ingram can hurt us.
Starks, and Grant, can hurt them.
So can Sproles or PT on screens.

J-Mike88
09-07-2011, 09:37 PM
Yeah I'm a Saints fan, as of now I think you guys have the edge in this game.
That's a cool sig.
I hope your prognosticating skills are as good as that design!

Packers 23
Saints 20

TimmG6376
09-08-2011, 12:17 PM
If I'm McCarthy, I'm trying to get Finley matched up with Roman Harper as much as possible. Saints will likely do what they can to avoid that scenario.

BloodBrother
09-08-2011, 12:22 PM
Jimmy Graham worries me

SuperPacker
09-08-2011, 02:54 PM
Unforunatley i cant watch the game as its on 3am in the morning here but im still excited :) i reckon the key to us winning the game is protecting aaron rodgers because if we do i reckon we our offense is too good for the saints defense.

CJSchneider
09-08-2011, 05:59 PM
Jimmy Graham worries me

Cam Jordan holding a Cal alumni reunion in Green Bay's backfield should worry you more.

vidae
09-08-2011, 06:14 PM
Pretty excited for this game.. Packers D better get me some fantasy points tonight!

BloodBrother
09-08-2011, 06:23 PM
#Packers inactives: DE Neal, CB House, S Jennings, LB Zombo, T Sherrod, TE Taylor, & LB So'oto

Neal the only surprise and the only inactive that might hurt them a bit. Wilson/Wynn are serviceable but Neal is a better complete player. We'll see how the Saints do running the ball tonight

DE Wynn is starting in place of Neal, btw

Saints inactives:

K Hartley, WR Moore, RB Bell, CB Patrick, C/G Tennant, TE Gilmore, DT Johnson

jackalope
09-08-2011, 07:19 PM
I had fully expected Neal to be ready. I wonder if he would have been ready to go if this was a Sunday game.

I'm feeling how I usually feel against a good opponent; thinking we'll win, but I'm certainly not confident. However, being the reigning champs makes me less nervous than usual.

ImBrotherCain
09-08-2011, 07:41 PM
I know this doesn't offer much but... LETS GO PACK!

TimmG6376
09-08-2011, 08:02 PM
9/10 for 105 and 2 TDs. And the one incomplete was a throwaway. Sick!

BloodBrother
09-08-2011, 09:45 PM
Please Fire Slocum

TimmG6376
09-08-2011, 09:50 PM
Come on! How about we stop giving them the ball at the 50 yd line!?!?!

BloodBrother
09-08-2011, 09:55 PM
This ST is so awful. Even Cobb's great return can't mask how crappy their coverage units are

TimmG6376
09-08-2011, 10:05 PM
What happened to those 50+ yd punts Masthay was booming in the preseason?

TimmG6376
09-08-2011, 10:12 PM
Scott Wells 6-2 300 vs Shaun Rogers 6-4 350

Advantage Wells?

BloodBrother
09-08-2011, 10:21 PM
I need a Randall Cobb jersey. This dude is the sh*t

BloodBrother
09-08-2011, 10:37 PM
AJ Hawk looks HORRIBLE out there. That whiff on that tackle caused Tramon to get involved in the play and end up gettign hurt UGH

I really hope he didn't break anything. That didn't look good

TimmG6376
09-08-2011, 10:50 PM
I know it is the Saints, who can score on anyone, but the secondary didn't look great tonight

BloodBrother
09-08-2011, 10:55 PM
Shields did not look good, and that concerns me. He was pretty bad in preseason to

LBers cannot cover TE/RB's to save their lives. Hawk looked AWFUL out there. Kinda regretting them letting Barnett go in favor of Hawk. He just looks soooo slow. Still pissed at that WHIFFED tackle that led to Tramon eventually getting hurt

hoping that **** isnt serious.

PackerLegend
09-08-2011, 11:28 PM
Aj Hawk looked pretty bad and thanks for getting Tramon hurt. Shields didnt look great either but the Saints and Brees are no slouches.

Cobbs a beast.

Our O looked pretty good in all phases and its sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo nice to have Finely back.

BloodBrother
09-08-2011, 11:33 PM
Yeah, the D was not good but they were facing a scary good offense. Shortened offseason and have to play a team like that out of the gates. Not overly concerned about the D yet

Tramon's injury better not be serious. They need to fire Slocum immediately, though.

princefielder28
09-08-2011, 11:54 PM
just got back from the game and it was an incredible atmosphere at lambeau

tjsunstein
09-09-2011, 12:11 AM
just got back from the game and it was an incredible atmosphere at lambeau
Appropriate sig.

BloodBrother
09-09-2011, 01:59 AM
Positives:

- Rodgers. Keep him upright and he's just lethal
- Jordy Nelson. Great game and would have had a bomb TD if not for the rare Rodgers overthrow.
- Randall Cobb. Already showing his explosiveness. Finally have a legit returner
- Running game. Did what they had to when given the chance. This isn't and won't be a running team, but they all did their job. Starks looked really good
- Dline really did well against a really good Saints OL. Raji continues to look good
- Walden. Could do a bit better as far as pass rush goes but overall I thought he did solid. GREAT pass breakup against Graham(who is not easy to defend)
- Morgan Burnett. 14 tackles, 7 solo...just all over the place
- Scott Wells was tremendous tonight
- Tom Crabtree. We see why they kept him. HE is a really good blocker. Made a nice 3rd down catch to extend what was an eventual TD drive to.

Negatives:

- Hawk and Bishop. They did some things good but they didn't have a really good game, especially Hawk
- Secondary. In the post game interviews, Raji admitted that the Saints gave them a lot of looks they haven't seen before. I'll chalk this up to just it being Week 1 and who they were facing. Saints used Sproles a ton and obviously there was no tape from last year regarding him on the Saints
- ST unit. Surprise....not really. Slocum continues to coach what is an underwhelming group who constantly are POOR in their coverage units. Gave up a TD, gave up 2 big returns that put a lethal offense at midfield...AND got flagged for a penalty. Only saving grace was Cobb's return, but not even he can overshadow how piss poor this part of the team is. They stunk last year and this year it looks like more of the same. I really hope this guy is gone after the year or SOONER
- Tramon Williams injury. I really hope this isn't a season ender. Some positive(I guess) is that Larry McCarren said that in the locker room, Tramon wasn't in a sling or bandaged up. He was still holding his right arm with his left hand, but you'd figure if it was something more severe he'd be in a sling? IDK, either way just hoping this isn't anything more than a stinger of sorts
- Nitpicky, but once again the offense cannot get a 1st down at the end of the game when they need it to ice the game. Seems it ALWAYS comes down to the D. You don't want to give an offense like that another chance. WAnt to see this offense do a better job of closing games out in the future

ok so I think I covered most things lol. All in all, great win against what might be their toughest opponent all year.

Rob S
09-09-2011, 12:39 PM
This game exited me greatly for the fantasy potential of Jordyzzz. He could have easily gone 120 and 3.

cvv84
09-09-2011, 05:25 PM
Yeah, the D was not good but they were facing a scary good offense. Shortened offseason and have to play a team like that out of the gates. Not overly concerned about the D yet

Tramon's injury better not be serious. They need to fire Slocum immediately, though.

Bingo, plus offenses usually have the upper hand early in the season. There was alot of positives and alot of negatives to this game but all in all its a win. Thats huge going into next week when we face the Panthers.

cvv84
09-09-2011, 05:29 PM
Oh yeah, and does anyone else just dispise Cris Collensworth? I think he just found out about Tramon Williams and Sam Shields...

BloodBrother
09-09-2011, 07:49 PM
my favorite was when he said Ryan Grant played for the Steelers in the SB

J-Mike88
09-10-2011, 07:07 AM
Good stuff bloodbrother.
I thought Hawk was the worst player out there for us. I love AJ and always defend him, but Sproles was a mismatch for him.

I said early that when Sproles is in, Hawk should be replaced by an extra DB. If not a DB, than the rookie ILB DJ Smith if he's quick enough to stay closer to Sproles.

I can't get mad at AJ for being too slow to handle Sproles. The little guy is quick as hell.

But I was and am mad at Hawk for missing the tackle late in the game, which caused Tramon to have to come in next.... which is when he was injured.
End the play: Make the tackle.

Reminds me of Donald Lee's fumble last year in Washington..... that's when J-Mike was injured after having to try and tackle him.

1-0 though with the JV Panthers next.