PDA

View Full Version : Who would you rather on your team: Vernon Gholston or Aaron Maybin

Complex
08-15-2011, 01:06 PM
Two all-time bust but which one is better?

killxswitch
08-15-2011, 01:09 PM
I'm not sure I have a good reason but I would still rather have Gholston. He is at least the size of an NFL player. Maybin is <230. Pathetic.

JBCX
08-15-2011, 01:13 PM
Gholston has the physical attributes to be at least a decent player. Maybin is both unmotivated and , basically, a shrimp.

Maybin might just be the worst first round draft pick of the past 10 years. I mean, at least JaMarcus Russell threw for *some* touchdown passes in his career. Aaron Maybin did, basically, nothing but waste a roster spot.

OSUGiants17
08-15-2011, 01:14 PM
Vernon is from Ohio State so him :D

bucfan12
08-15-2011, 01:20 PM
Maybin got his weight up to 250sh before the 2009 draft so he could be viewed as a DE or 3-4 rush LB. However, he showed up at 228 to TC this year.

He just can't keep his weight up and was the perfect defination of just a good college player who had 1 good year and took the money when his stock was high.

Gholston still looks like he can play football and never was a 3-4 OLB. He might have some success at DE.

killxswitch
08-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Maybin got his weight up to 250sh before the 2009 draft so he could be viewed as a DE or 3-4 rush LB. However, he showed up at 228 to TC this year.

He just can't keep his weight up and was the perfect defination of just a good college player who had 1 good year and took the money when his stock was high.

Gholston still looks like he can play football and never was a 3-4 OLB. He might have some success at DE.

I just looked it up, the Bears signed him. I wonder if he's done anything at all.

Raiderz4Life
08-15-2011, 01:57 PM
I would take Gholston. I'd rather take my chances with a bust that has the physical build to play the position.

K Train
08-15-2011, 02:08 PM
gholston in a blowout...at least youd look scarier coming off the bus.

i thought maybin was a 2nd round conversion guy and had him going to the browns as an OLB...never thought a 43 team would even consider him, let alone take him over orakpo.

gholston i loved, like really a big time real life man crush

killxswitch
08-15-2011, 02:28 PM
gholston in a blowout...at least youd look scarier coming off the bus.

i thought maybin was a 2nd round conversion guy and had him going to the browns as an OLB...never thought a 43 team would even consider him, let alone take him over orakpo.

gholston i loved, like really a big time real life man crush

I agree with all of this including the man crush.

K Train
08-15-2011, 02:40 PM
i remember watching gholstons combine drills and i was just enamoured.

really i didnt even think chris long vs gholston should have even been a question. really a shame to see him fall on his face so far, i think he still has some decent starter potential though, maybin not so much.

really all maybin had going for him was an explosive first step as a situational pass rusher and the day he became a pro that first step disappeared

Gay Ork Wang
08-15-2011, 02:54 PM
gholston was okay in the first preseason game and has abused Frank Omiyale in TC. but then again who hasnt

killxswitch
08-15-2011, 03:02 PM
gholston was okay in the first preseason game and has abused Frank Omiyale in TC. but then again who hasnt

Is Omiyale that loser playing in Gabe Carimi's spot for some reason?

tjsunstein
08-15-2011, 03:11 PM
Vernon Gholston, easily.
But, neither really.

Gay Ork Wang
08-15-2011, 04:02 PM
Is Omiyale that loser playing in Gabe Carimi's spot for some reason?
Gabe Carimi is starting

Frank Omiyale is called Crappy Guard by bears fans on this board

Shane P. Hallam
08-15-2011, 04:03 PM
I'll take Jamaal Anderson

zachsaints52
08-15-2011, 07:04 PM

When I read just this and saw your signature, my mind immediately said left breast.

But Gholston.

The Alex
08-16-2011, 06:07 AM
never thought a 43 team would even consider him, let alone take him over orakpo.

That still blows my mind. Orakpo was easily the best pass rushing prospect of that draft and somehow the Bills found a way to take an undersized one year wonder ahead of him. Then again, when was the last time the Bills didn't overdraft someone?

Monomach
08-16-2011, 08:00 AM
Then again, when was the last time the Bills didn't overdraft someone?
Bout four months ago.

Brothgar
08-16-2011, 08:21 AM

I'd rather have the all time bust in your sig but out of the two Gholston will end up being better. If there is one thing that Rod Marinelli does well it is developing highly talented D-Linemen. I could see this working out very well with Vernon Gholston.

Matthew Jones
08-16-2011, 08:22 AM
I'd go with Gholston but it's not like I'd be enthusiastic about having either one on the team. I wonder what Aaron Maybin could do as a 4-3 WLB? Clearly doesn't have the size to serve as a 4-3 end or 3-4 outside linebacker.

cmarq83
08-16-2011, 08:29 AM
I'd go with Gholston but it's not like I'd be enthusiastic about having either one on the team. I wonder what Aaron Maybin could do as a 4-3 WLB? Clearly doesn't have the size to serve as a 4-3 end or 3-4 outside linebacker.

Yeah call me crazy, but I'd probably go with Maybin just to try that. I think he's still a pretty good athlete, and his combine numbers were skewed by too much artificial weight. With Gholston he has already had great coaching, and has been tried at multiple positions and has proven to be worthless. He shies away from contact, and doesn't seem to care about his craft. The coaches at least say that Maybin tried really hard to make it work. He might find a use as a blitzing backer from the weak side, and I could see him being a special teams guy.

I wouldn't want either, but I'd prefer Maybin.

Monomach
08-16-2011, 08:38 AM
According to multiple sources, the team has had discussions about Aaron Maybin, who was waived by the Bills on Monday. All indications are the 11th pick of the 2009 draft wants to play for defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/site/newspaper/sports/ct-spt-0816-bears-bits--20110816,0,800171.story

Yay. Possibly the only guy in the NFL who couldn't get a sack on the Bears O-line.

I imagine this is BS just made up for the story. How on earth would he fit with us?

K Train
08-16-2011, 08:45 AM
so the bears could have BOTH? sorry but that sounds like a dynsaty in the making.

Monomach
08-16-2011, 08:50 AM
I'm cool with signing busts and paying them nothing, but the team wasn't good enough to sign ONLY busts in the deepest FA period in history.

All of that cap space is going to waste.

Can a brother at least get Flozell the Hotel and Jon Stinchcomb?

Thecollegedropout
08-16-2011, 09:56 AM
Rather Maybin but I am a Jets fan who has seen Gholston play with zero desire and that he never has shown he "wants it". Maybin isn't much better but he didn't have a 2nd year with a defensive coordinator like The Ghost did with Rex/Pettine. Maybin was playing under Fewell/Jauron for 1 year than Edwards the next year so he at least has that going for him, if that means anything.

Gholston played with far more defensive talent on his team than Maybin and couldn't play good. Bills didn't have much in the front 7 outside of 1-2 guys.....

SolidGold
08-17-2011, 08:44 AM
Apparently the Jets are going to sign Maybin...guess they didn't learn their lesson with Gholston

etk
08-17-2011, 09:20 AM
Vernon Gholston was an excellent prospect overall who's stiff and never got the mental part of the game. There's still potential there. People forget how dominant he was in college, even getting the best of Jake Long. He was fast, quick, big and strong. The only knock on him coming out was stiffness.

Maybin was an overrated 1-year wonder. He was/is small and not explosive enough to make up for his lack of size.

tjsunstein
08-17-2011, 02:46 PM
Apparently the Jets are going to sign Maybin...guess they didn't learn their lesson with Gholston
Rex Ryan is going to turn Maybin into a productive player just like Gholston.

niel89
08-17-2011, 02:48 PM
It would be golden to see Maybin become some awesome situational passrusher for the Jets.

CC.SD
08-17-2011, 03:49 PM
I would probably convert them both to quarterback, just so they would know what the pass rush is thinking.

TimD
08-17-2011, 06:03 PM
Vernon is from Ohio State so him :D

Aaron is from Penn State so him :D

descendency
08-17-2011, 06:16 PM
Chad Jackson

Matthew Jones
08-17-2011, 06:21 PM
Yeah call me crazy, but I'd probably go with Maybin just to try that. I think he's still a pretty good athlete, and his combine numbers were skewed by too much artificial weight. With Gholston he has already had great coaching, and has been tried at multiple positions and has proven to be worthless. He shies away from contact, and doesn't seem to care about his craft. The coaches at least say that Maybin tried really hard to make it work. He might find a use as a blitzing backer from the weak side, and I could see him being a special teams guy.

I wouldn't want either, but I'd prefer Maybin.

It could be a situation similar to Manny Lawson, undersized 4-3 DE coming out, struggles to transition to 3-4 OLB, could be best suited to 4-3 OLB.

redbills
08-18-2011, 12:31 AM
Maybin got killed by buffalos 3rd string LT in practice. keep in mind how bad thier first 2 are. he has one mover run as fast as I can 10 yards up field then get pancaked.

niel89
08-18-2011, 05:31 PM
http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/5177/aaron-maybin

Apparently Maybin is up to 242 and said his initial low weight of 228 is because of a bout with pneumonia.

Also typing "Aaron Maybin" on google comes up with "Aaron Maybin Bust" haha.

Rabscuttle
08-21-2011, 11:11 AM
Horrible hypothetical. Would you rather bang Rosie O'Donnell or Rosanne Barr? Live with herpes or Gonnorrhea, be a Raiders or a Cowboys fan...