PDA

View Full Version : 2011: Unexpected surprises from certain players

D-Unit
08-15-2011, 01:21 PM
Have there been any players that have started to emerge or show things that they never have before? Are there any late round or undrafted rookies performing better than you thought? Any 2nd or 3rd year players finally "catching on"? Any former flops showing that all they needed was a new team/opportunity?

If you think there are any guys like that on your favorite team, please share! :)

V.I.P
08-15-2011, 01:37 PM
Kyle Moore (DE from USC) is finally catching on.. It's his 3rd year, and that's the year most busts turn it around...

Also Anthony Gaitor (7th round pick) is looking really good! In camp, and in games...

Vaylor
08-15-2011, 01:41 PM
Stevan Ridley. I mean holy **** I was not expecting anything like that.

Don Vito
08-15-2011, 01:41 PM
Taylor Price has been one of the most impressive Patriots this preseason. He did nothing at all last year as a rookie he was basically red-shirted, but he could really do a lot for this offense. Could be what we thought Chad Jackson would become.

Steven Ridley has been a beast as well. He was a tough runner out of LSU who could make an impact in the passing game, but he already looks like a starter. So did Vereen before he got hurt. Also, LB Dane Fletcher has looked good in his second pre-season.

tjsunstein
08-15-2011, 03:10 PM
Graham Harrell's development is coming along nicely. I honestly didn't expect him to be more than a 3rd string if that but he looks like he can be a backup.
Chastin West has been one of the stars so far, but there's a very small chance he makes the team as we already carry 5 WR. Definitely auditioning for the NFL right now and doing a damn good job.
Tori Gurley has looked great in practice, another guy who probably won't make the cut.

Hurricanes25
08-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Jamaal Westerman who was a UDFA out of Rutgers a few years ago is looking really good in camp so far for the Jets. Rex even said that he'll be a 3rd down pass rusher this year. I'm not that surprised considering I saw a lot of him in college, but I'm sure he'll open some eyes this year.

D-Unit
08-15-2011, 04:28 PM
Victor Butler has become a Rob Ryan favorite and will get a bigger opportunity to see snaps. I didn't think much of him when we drafted him in the 3rd round, but he's starting to make me happy that we took him. I pretty much wrote that entire Cowboys draft class off as a bust.

Go_Eagles77
08-15-2011, 05:09 PM
DE Philip Hunt was an afterthought for most fans when the eagles picked him up in the offseason. He led the CFL in sacks last year and has been a terror for our OL in TC. Right now looks like he may make the team over 2nd year 3rd round pick Daniel Te'o-Nesheim (who hasn't been terrible, but may lose out on a roster spot due to depth).
C Jason Kelce was a 6th round pick and the 3rd interior lineman we drafted this year, so there's no way he'll make any impact this year, right? Well, he was handpicked by OL coach Howard Mudd and apparently reminds him a lot of Jeff Saturday, and he's challenging Jamaal Jackson for the starting C position.
LB Casey Matthews is the starting MLB and has wowed the coaches with his intelligence and athleticism. If you would have told me Matthews would be the starting MLB right away when he was drafted I would have laughed at you.
RB Dion Lewis impressed me a lot in the 1st preseason game. I thought he would be the type of guy to always go down on first contact but he impressed me with his ability to bounce off defenders and keep going. Pretty much a lock to make the team as the 3rd RB and might steal some carries away from McCoy/Brown.

JBCX
08-15-2011, 05:12 PM
Victor Butler has become a Rob Ryan favorite and will get a bigger opportunity to see snaps. I didn't think much of him when we drafted him in the 3rd round, but he's starting to make me happy that we took him. I pretty much wrote that entire Cowboys draft class off as a bust.

I still think the 'Boys should have tried to resign Stephen Bowen. He would be perfect for Rob Ryan's defense and he looked amazing in the Skins preseason game.

RaiderNation
08-15-2011, 05:23 PM
Watch out for Jarvis Moss on the Raiders. The former 1st round pick looked solid in our 1st preseason game and will see a lot of 1 on 1's eih the talent we have on our dline. He is still just a back up but i can see him racking up 6+ sacks in our dline rotation.

Also DHB could actually produce this year. I thought watching hi. I. Our 1st preseason game he actually had the look of a WR, and not as a sprinter. If he could step up and become a legit deep threat our offense could be explosive

Pat Sims 90
08-15-2011, 05:34 PM
TE Colin Cochart UDFA South Dakota State
Bengals had a hole at a blocking TE after Reggie Kelly left. They may have found a fixture for that hole with Cochart. Cochart has been really aggressive in blocking and has been playing ever snap like it is the SB.

tjsunstein
08-15-2011, 05:41 PM
Coming around on the TEs, since the post above this reminded me. It hasn't been rookie DJ Williams who has surprised me in camp, we all knew he could play form his days at Arkansas. Instead, it's been the rookie from UNC, Ryan Taylor who is pushing hard for a roster spot. Andrew Quarless has found himself in quite a competition with two rookies for a spot. It's seems almost a given that Crabtree stays with the team because of his blocking.

Unbiased
08-15-2011, 05:51 PM
Jags

Aaron Morgan - UDFA from 2010 out of Louisiana Monroe. He weighed 238 last year and has beefed up a bit and looks pretty good in camp. He could take the 5th DE spot from Larry Hart.

Armon Binns - UDFA from this year. Tall and could make the roster with our lack of playmakers at WR.

Timbathia
08-15-2011, 05:57 PM
Watch out for Jarvis Moss on the Raiders. The former 1st round pick looked solid in our 1st preseason game and will see a lot of 1 on 1's eih the talent we have on our dline. He is still just a back up but i can see him racking up 6+ sacks in our dline rotation.

Also DHB could actually produce this year. I thought watching hi. I. Our 1st preseason game he actually had the look of a WR, and not as a sprinter. If he could step up and become a legit deep threat our offense could be explosive

Seriously? I couldnt imagine him getting a sack if he was unblocked on every play. Seems every ex-Bronco learns how to play once they leave Denver.

SuperMcGee
08-15-2011, 05:59 PM
Eric Wood finally made the move from guard to center and is looking just as good, probably a little better. Good move for him, though I don't love that it gave a starting job to Kraig Urbik.

Alex Carrington put on 20 pounds and is playing very well. Great camp, showing good speed and power. Had two sacks in the first preseason game. Plays behind Dareus, but could eventually find more time opposite him on the line. Might not be so soon, though, as Spencer Johnson is looking very good and Dwan Edwards still holds the starting job.

Not much else besides those. I guess Merriman fits in, as well, but everyone seems to know about his good start.

DoughBoy
08-15-2011, 07:05 PM
I honestly didn't think Karl Klug would be named the starter in the first preseason game when we took him in the 5th round. I had a man crush on him coming out, but I didn't think he would flash this soon.

zachsaints52
08-15-2011, 07:08 PM
One of my favorite players still in the league, Donte Stallworth looked very good in his first game in about a year. He was overthrown but jusssstt a little in the endzone, but finished with 3 catches and 47 yards. Im not too sure on the Redskins WR DC (some Skin fan would know more) but I think Stallworth in the slot would be a awesome addition.

D-Unit
08-15-2011, 07:17 PM
I still think the 'Boys should have tried to resign Stephen Bowen. He would be perfect for Rob Ryan's defense and he looked amazing in the Skins preseason game.
It wasn't for lack of trying. The Redskins gave him a $25M deal. That's just called getting priced out. Bowen didn't earn that kind of deal and I'm not surprised the Redskins overpaid once again.

D-Unit
08-15-2011, 07:21 PM

Man if you guys are able to revive Jarvis Moss, that would be nuts. May as well go for Aaron Maybin too! haha.

I thought DHB would be better than he has been. While I didn't like him getting picked that high, I still liked him. Good luck on that front.

phlysac
08-15-2011, 09:43 PM
49ers

OT - Alex Boone - UDFA 2009 - Ohio State

His troubles at Ohio State were well documented and it cost him a shot at being drafted. Miike Singletary gave him a shot in 2009 and signed him. He was out of shape, and didn't stand a chance at making the team. His potential was still there and he made it through the year on the Practice Squad.

He showed up in 2010 in tremendous shape and by all accounts had given up his many vices that prevented him from being the type of player many thought he'd become after his early years at Ohio State. He never saw any action but he showed enough that he was kept on the team for the entire season.

2011 arrives and Boone reports even more chiseled than he was the year prior and he is solidly the #1 backup at both LT and RT positions. With continued stellar play in practice and in preseason games, I could see a scenario where Boone begins to make the 49ers think twice about Staley and Davis as their starting OT's.

ILB - Larry Grant - 7th Round 2008 - Ohio State

Grant was cut shortly after being drafted by the 49ers in 2008 for lacking the size and strength necessary to succeed as an NFL 3-4 ILB. After having a role with the St. Louis Rams for the past two seasons, Grant returns nearly 20 lbs heavier than his initial stint with the team.

Grant has solidified himself as the clear backup to NaVorro Bowman, and is likely to be Patrick Willis' primary backup as well. He has showed tremendous ability against the run, against the pass, and on Special Teams throughout the post-Lockout off-season and continues to impress.

RaiderNation
08-16-2011, 12:45 AM
Man if you guys are able to revive Jarvis Moss, that would be nuts. May as well go for Aaron Maybin too! haha.

I thought DHB would be better than he has been. While I didn't like him getting picked that high, I still liked him. Good luck on that front.

It's still early but I thought Moss looked explosive at DE in or first game against Arizona. He didn't rack up any sacks, but he did get a few hurries and was able to help against the run with a TFL. It's still early but I just thought he looked like a guy who can produce in our rotation.

It was obvious that DHB wouldn't be a factor coming into the league atleast for a few seasons, but I really do think he will step up his game this year. He knows that if he doesn't produce, than he will end up like Russell and get cut.

Haha there are already rumors of us maybe looking into signing him. I personally hope we don't