PDA

View Full Version : Draft Picks you hated at the time...

Rosebud
08-16-2011, 11:48 AM
That ended up proving the pros know more than you. On the giants bored we were just talking about when JPP got picked and most everyone except me, BBD and someone else hated that pick at the time, but now everyone loves having JPP. I felt that way about taking 25 year old Aaron Ross in the first round although he helped us win a superbowl. Any that pop into your guys' heads?

CashmoneyDrew
08-16-2011, 11:53 AM
I hated the CJ2K pick. Not because of his ability but because the previous 4 seasons we had spent two 2nds and two 3rds on the group of Chris Brown, Travis Henry, Lendale White and Chris Henry.

Oops.

But I loved the Kenny Britt pick! (e-cred restored, right?)

Splat
08-16-2011, 11:53 AM
Tamba Hali.

I fail at life...

It's not so much that I didn't want him but I felt he was more of a second round kinda player not mid first round. (Whoops)

tjsunstein
08-16-2011, 11:54 AM
James Jones
Matt Flynn
Nick Barnett

K Train
08-16-2011, 11:56 AM
i hated hood as a DE, and i still do.....i think he will end up playing nose for us though and i like him in that role.

but the picks that actually managed to ruin my day were Kraig Urbik and Frank Summers....abysmal picks, summers wasnt even draftable and urbik was a huge reach in the 3rd.

Picks that were rumored were revis and carriker the year we took timmons, revis made me look dumb but i hated him and the thought of carriker at 15 made me cringe

cmarq83
08-16-2011, 11:57 AM
Devin McCourty- I called my brother and had a 15 minute conversation about how we should have taken Kyle Wilson if we had to take a CB.

Logan Mankins- Had never really heard of him predraft, and was shocked that we picked him.

Richard Seymour- He barely got to the QB at Georgia, and I didn't think he had a true position. Turns out he was just awesome at all of them.

Matthew Jones
08-16-2011, 11:59 AM
I wouldn't say I hated Devin McCourty but I was definitely hoping for New England to draft either Jared Odrick or Sergio Kindle. Then again, those last two guys have promising futures ahead of them and New England has yet to definitively address either position. I wasn't a big fan of the Patrick Chung or Sebastian Vollmer picks either - Vollmer was not considered to be anywhere near a second round pick, and as for Chung, I was hoping for one of the USC linebackers (Maualuga, Cushing, Matthews.)

killxswitch
08-16-2011, 12:06 PM
I didn't really start following the draft seriously until 08, and the Colts haven't drafted well since 2006, so I don't have much to say here. I guess I didn't like Fili Moala in the 2nd in 09. He may prove me wrong this year.

Go_Eagles77
08-16-2011, 12:06 PM
The Kevin Kolb pick made me ill for a couple days. I'm pretty happy with the way that ended up though.

ElectricEye
08-16-2011, 12:08 PM
Taylor Price and Steven Ridley are the two most recent examples that pop into my head. I thought we left impact players on the board with both of those at the time. It's still early, but both of them are coming along quite nicely.

I really disliked the Chung pick for similar reasons. He's proved himself to be a real good player at this point.

I don't think I've ever really hated any of the guys we've picked. If we're talking about hating guys we haven't picked...that's another story. I don't think I'll ever get over directly passing on Clay Matthews. He was my favorite prospect that year :/

bucfan12
08-16-2011, 12:14 PM
For the Bucs:

-Davin Joseph: He's one of the better OGs in the league. He wasn't as good the last 2 years because they went from a power blocking scheme to Zone and that wasnt a good fit for a 320 lb mauler. Got a new o-line coach and back to powerblocking scheme so he'll be back to his old self.

Brothgar
08-16-2011, 12:15 PM
I hated the JPP pick not because I didn't have faith in him as a player but because the Giants already had three (maybe 4) DEs already. Osi, Tuck, Kiwi, (I'm unsure if Strahan left already or not) when they had huge needs at LB and corner. But back to the topic the biggest miss that I remember having was Matt Ryan although I didn't think he'd bust I though he wouldn't be anything great.

But I loved Elvis Dumervil coming out though

V.I.P
08-16-2011, 12:18 PM
Josh Freeman .... I wanted ....Larry English ... yeah ....

K Train
08-16-2011, 12:23 PM
I hated the JPP pick not because I didn't have faith in him as a player but because the Giants already had three (maybe 4) DEs already. Osi, Tuck, Kiwi, (I'm unsure if Strahan left already or not) when they had huge needs at LB and corner. But back to the topic the biggest miss that I remember having was Matt Ryan although I didn't think he'd bust I though he wouldn't be anything great.

strahan was 3 years deep in retirement lol

Brothgar
08-16-2011, 12:27 PM
strahan was 3 years deep in retirement lol

-_- After enough years they all blend together I'm only a few years younger than CJ :/

niel89
08-16-2011, 12:27 PM
I wasn't super sold on guys like Ngata and Flacco. I just thought that Ngata had real questionable work ethic and that he was know to take plays off, but he doesn't really have that problem now with Ray Lewis demanding more of him. For Flacco, I didn't know that much about him but on the surface a 1st round QB out of Delaware sounds like a bad move. I knew he had tools to succeed but I thought he really was gonna need more time to develop before even having a shot at being a decent player.

The only draft pick I can remember that I honestly really really didn't like was when we took Ray Rice in the 2nd. We already had Willis as out starter and I thought we could grab a solid back up later on. I didn't think he had real burst was just basically a "strong midget." Even in his first year I thought he looked like he didn't explode on any plays. He clearly worked hard in his 1st offseason because he came back as a completely different running back to me.

Monomach
08-16-2011, 12:46 PM
Hated Flacco to the Ravens. I thought he'd be garbage and was a 3rd round project.

K Train
08-16-2011, 12:52 PM
I thought Joe Flacco would be garbage and that Brady Quinn would be really good.

Maybe I just suck at evaluating QBs. I have a much better record with any other position.

there wasnt much to not like about quinn.

and look at flaccos overall body of work and you'll see that you werent that far off lol

Pat Sims 90
08-16-2011, 12:56 PM
I only picks i really hated for the Bengals were Chris Perry because we passed on Chris Gamble and Andre Smith because i knew he was going to bust. So i was right to be pissed about those picks.

princefielder28
08-16-2011, 12:56 PM
James Jones is the only guy that I was not a fan of that TT has taken and been wrong about...otheriwse i've been pretty accurate in my assessment of his selections

killxswitch
08-16-2011, 12:59 PM
there wasnt much to not like about quinn.

and look at flaccos overall body of work and you'll see that you werent that far off lol

Flacco is seriously overrated by some here. At one point people were saying he was better than Matt Ryan. It's too bad because he seems like a nice, funny guy. Just not what I would expect out of a 3rd year player with a great OL in front of him, an excellent running game, a shut-down defense to get him the ball back, and a very solid set of receivers to throw to.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-16-2011, 01:08 PM
I guess these guys turned out good then...

Kiwi

JPP

are the two big ones..It's not the talent itself, but rather the damn position. Did we really need another DE??! Come on now! It's ok not to draft a defensive player in the first round for once. Not going to kill us!

Curse you BBD! I blame you for this!

bearsfan_51
08-16-2011, 01:09 PM
I'll admit, I wasn't a fan of Devin Hester.

ElectricEye
08-16-2011, 01:13 PM
Flacco is seriously overrated by some here. At one point people were saying he was better than Matt Ryan. It's too bad because he seems like a nice, funny guy. Just not what I would expect out of a 3rd year player with a great OL in front of him, an excellent running game, a shut-down defense to get him the ball back, and a very solid set of receivers to throw to.

That's the camp I'm in on Flacco as well; both now and then. I thought he rose far too quickly during the draft. He's justified his draft position with his production, but at the time I really didn't think it was a safe pick for where he was selected.

Don Vito
08-16-2011, 01:15 PM
For the Pats I would say Mankins, McCourty, Chung, and Vollmer were picks that had me scratching my head but they worked out. Ridley, Price, Vereen, Mallet, and Dowling fit the bill but they really haven't done anything meaningful yet.

K Train
08-16-2011, 01:17 PM
he didnt even really dominate at deleware like he should have....you can do worse than joe flacco but hes severely overrated. he just crumbles in big games, ive always thought of him as the illegitimate love child of tommy maddox and derek anderson. Folds under pressure, throws into the dirt when anyone is around him, has a big gigantic arm and can throw a pretty ball but i cant ever see him being the franchise QB you want a mid first round pick with great talent, coaching, and management around him to turn into

Complex
08-16-2011, 01:19 PM
I hate that his nick name is Joe "Cool". He sucks/chokes in the playoffs and chokes against the steelers.

Saints-Tigers
08-16-2011, 01:25 PM
Roman Harper is the biggest one I remember (DARNELL BINGZZZ)

Tracy Porter I guess.

I haven't hated too many picks recently for the Saints that I was wrong about.

Deuce McCallister is my biggest blunder.

DI
08-16-2011, 01:25 PM
Hated Aaron Ross. I guess it worked out for a little bit but I wanted Jon Beason at the time. Yeah, safe to say that would've worked out pretty well but we're the Giants. We don't draft linebackers anymore.. or good ones for that matter.

K Train
08-16-2011, 01:29 PM
Roman Harper is the biggest one I remember (DARNELL BINGZZZ)

Tracy Porter I guess.

I haven't hated too many picks recently for the Saints that I was wrong about.

Deuce McCallister is my biggest blunder.

patrick robinson wasnt a head scratcher?

DoughBoy
08-16-2011, 01:29 PM
Chris Johnson- I remember chanting " not Chris! not Chris" when our pick came up. A couple of months later I went training camp that year and fell in love. It was just so different from other rookies that have a good camp and get lots of hype... he was truly a man among boys.

Jason Jones- This was more ignorance than me hating the player. Taught me that not all players come from big time schools. When he is healthy (big if) he is one of the most dominating D-lineman in the NFL.

bucfan12
08-16-2011, 01:36 PM

I might have been one of the few Buc fans that thought Josh Freeman was vastly underrated as a prospect then and wanted him over Sanchez in the worst way.

When I heard those pre-draft rumors of the Bucs looking at moving up for Sanchez, I was hoping/praying that they wouldn't make that move.

Thank God it all worked out.

MaxV
08-16-2011, 01:43 PM
For the Colts:

- Edgerrin James over Ricky Williams ... "Who?"
- Reggie Wayne ... "WR here?"
- Dallas Clark ... "TE here?"
- Bob Sanders ... "5'-8" Safety?"
- Dwight Freeney ... "NOOOO, Wendell Bryant and Phillip Buchanon are still on the board!"
- Robert Mathis ... "WTF?! We traded a future 3rd rounder to pick a 235lbs DE out of Alabama A&M?"
- Kelvin Hayden ... "Too early."

Saints-Tigers
08-16-2011, 01:43 PM
patrick robinson wasnt a head scratcher?

Well, I didn't HATE it, but we really don't know enough him right now, but he looks damn good so far. Wicket might have to eat it on this one, lol.

OSUGiants17
08-16-2011, 01:57 PM
I guess these guys turned out good then...

Kiwi

JPP

are the two big ones..It's not the talent itself, but rather the damn position. Did we really need another DE??! Come on now! It's ok not to draft a defensive player in the first round for once. Not going to kill us!

Curse you BBD! I blame you for this!

Same, I hated those 2 picks. When we traded back with Santonio Holmes still on the board(my favorite Ohio State player in a long time) I flipped out. Then when we took a DE with Strahan, Osi and Tuck on the roster I was livid. Kiwi has grown on me big time now and I love the guy, but it took him awhile to gain my respect(not that it means **** to him lol) especially after the failed sack on Vince Young.

The JPP I was mad because I saw it coming and still didn't want to believe it. I wasn't nearly as mad as I was with the Kiwi pick. I was older and had been watching the game for longer now and knew that it was a pick for the future with Osi getting older and Kiwi having only 1 year left on his contract. I so badly wanted Bulaga, Dan Williams, Iupati, Weatherspoon or Pouncey. Hell pretty much anyone that whent in the first after JPP lol. But, not even a week after draft day I grew to love the pick and couldn't wait to see him play. Guy is gonna be a beast for us over the next couple years.

bearfan
08-16-2011, 02:01 PM
Since it is the Bears, I have quite a few:
Chris Conte SS *unproven
Dan LeFavour QB *not on team
Jauqan Iglesias WR *not on team
Craig Steltz S *back up
Kellen Davis TE *i like him now
Dan Bazuin DE *not on team
Garrett Wolfe RB *not on team

A lot of later picks, but there were players on the board who I thought were better than Jerry trying to get a diamond in the rough.

yo123
08-16-2011, 02:16 PM
Percy Harvin and Chad Greenway.

Nalej
08-16-2011, 02:19 PM
I hated the D.Butler pick bc we had Wheatley and Whilhite at the time.
Obviously it was a terrible pick but not because of my reasons. All three of them suck.
Really wanted a pass rusher...still do.

Therefore, I was like WTF after the McCourty pick... deja vu all over again
I fail again, but this time I'm glad I was wrong

jrdrylie
08-16-2011, 02:31 PM
For Bears, picks I hated a was right.
Garrett Wolfe
Dan Bazuin

I didn't hate the Matt Forte pick. But I was pissed we passed on Jamaal Charles for him.

prock
08-16-2011, 02:33 PM
I loved Percy. I didn't like Greenway. But now he is the best player on our defense (last year at least).

tjsunstein
08-16-2011, 02:38 PM
I think some people are missing the point of this thread.

dunagan15
08-16-2011, 02:40 PM
Ok here we go. Hated the Matt Ryan pick, I wanted Doresy and Flacco in the 2nd.

Im an idiot. Granted I did support the pick after the initial 5 minutes b/c you gotta learn to love it right?

TitanHope
08-16-2011, 02:55 PM
I flipped my lid after drafting CJ and then in the same draft trading up in the 4th RD for William Hayes, a DE from Winston Salem that no one on the planet save Mel Kiper had ever heard of. His name popped up on the ESPN ticker as "Williams Hayes," with an "s" at the end. CJ turned out to be amazing, and Hayes actually looks like he'll be the #3 DE this year and could be startable.

It was Mike Reinfeldt's second draft as the GM, and I just lost all confidence in him knowing what he was doing. There have been others that I've disliked, but none have made me lose it like those two moves occurring in the same draft.

America
08-16-2011, 02:57 PM
Absolutely hated the Joe Flacco pick. Then again, I still don't like him. But I thought he was another Kyle Boller.

Raiderz4Life
08-16-2011, 03:44 PM
I can honestly say every 1st round pick for the Raiders in the past couple drafts I haven't really liked and unfortunately not any of em has really proved me wrong =(.

I wanted Fitz instead of Gallery, wanted Cutler over Huff, Megatron over Russell, I did like the McFadden and McClain picks and hated the DHB pick too.

J-Mike88
08-16-2011, 04:03 PM
Of my own team:

-Greg Jennings
-Mike Neal
-Bryan Bulaga (because I wanted Jerry Hughes so badly)
-James Jones (because I wanted Randy Moss at that time for that same 3rd rd pick)
-Justin Harrell
-Brandon Jackson (2nd round pick way to high for a RB who has nothing special)
-I admit I wasn't thrilled when we traded a ton to go up and select Clay Matthews. But I wasn't throwing remotes like in 1998...... or 89.....
-Jordyzzzz (because the highest upside I could see from him was Ed McCaffrey/Joe Jurivicious)
-Vonnie Holliday, 1998 (because God handed a gift of Randy Moss on a silver platter to us, and Ron Wolf chickened out. Guy later admitted it was his biggest mistake ever as a GM, and he used his first 3 picks the next year on DB's to counter Moss & the Vikings aerial assault. At least in 2005 when the gift of Rodgers slid down to us, our GM didn't chicken out. But Moss torched us for 7 years as a Grape Ape (including his debut against us in GB on MNF with me there watching in horror... then when going to NE, he shatters the all-time record....
Tony Mandarich in 1989 over Derrick Thomas. I'd be lying if I said I'd take Barry Sanders. Everyone does now with 20/20 revisionist.... but I did NOT want a blocker there, when Derrick Thomas was the new Lawrence Taylor in my eyes. Mandarich was an obvious steroid user.

League-wide
-Jamarcus Russell (was so obvious this guy was not an NFL QB, just a specimen who could throw a nice long ball, with no accuracy)
-Alex Smith (another case where size was overrated.... Rodgers was clearly the class of the 2005 QB group, but the geniuses overlooked "passing ability" and moved Alex up to be the #1 overall pick.
-Sam Bradford (thought they should take Suh for sure, and wasn't sold on Bradford's shoulder handling big hits in the NFL)
-Tarvaris Jackson (2nd round!? but as Packer fan, I loved it)
-Josh Johnson (I think another 2nd rounder like T-Jack, overvalued for his "athletic ability" when it was clear he wasn't a great passer)

DoughBoy
08-16-2011, 04:26 PM
I think some people are missing the point of this thread.

Weird thing about some people on this board, cant admit they're wrong about something without putting 15 other things that they were right about. .....or maybe they just didnt read the OP.

Rosebud
08-16-2011, 04:39 PM

We had C-Web, Thomas and still a couple more years of Ross. I wouldn't say CB was a big need, plus all 3 of our ends were injury prone/coming off of injury limited seasons with Osi looking like he was over the hill and Kiwi having yet another "breakout year" ruined by injury.

RCAChainGang
08-16-2011, 05:03 PM
Jerraud Powers I wasn't thrilled about, but he has done well.

Rosebud
08-16-2011, 05:39 PM
Weird thing about some people on this board, cant admit they're wrong about something without putting 15 other things that they were right about. .....or maybe they just didnt read the OP.

Probably the latter. I tried to fit it all in the title but it wasn't going to let me so I had to break it up as naturally as I could.

Bengalsrocket
08-16-2011, 05:47 PM
Tough call for me since so few Bengals players actually end up being good. I can tell you this though, I really wanted Dez Bryant when we took Jermaine Gresham. I would still be happy with Dez Bryant and I most certainly don't want to get into a Bryant v. any Bengals receiver argument because I still believe Bryant is a stud. However, if we had taken Bryant we wouldn't have Gresham, Shipley & Green so I'm really happy with the way it worked out.

SuperMcGee
08-16-2011, 05:51 PM
Edit - I should read more than the thread title. We don't do so well at this, though McKelvin and Spiller can still prove my indifference wrong. Hoping Torell Troup emerges in some way so I don't forever hate passing on Gronk.

descendency
08-16-2011, 06:06 PM
Sebastian Vollmer. We took a 25 year old rookie who just had back surgery??? and he's German... so he's been playing (American) football for how long???

Oops...

Go_Eagles77
08-16-2011, 06:22 PM
Sebastian Vollmer. We took a 25 year old rookie who just had back surgery??? and he's German... so he's been playing (American) football for how long???

Oops...
Very similar thought process with Danny Watkins right when we got him.

"A 26 (soon to be 27) year old guard from Canada with the 21st overall pick?"

I'm happy with the pick now though, I think he can be a probowl-caliber guard very soon.

Rosebud
08-16-2011, 06:35 PM
Very similar thought process with Danny Watkins right when we got him.

"A 26 (soon to be 27) year old guard from Canada with the 21st overall pick?"

I'm happy with the pick now though, I think he can be a probowl-caliber guard very soon.

I dunno, NFC is stacked at Guard. Snee, Nicks, Evans, Iupati, Gallery, Jacob Bell, Davin Joseph and David Diehl returning to LG.

Halsey
08-16-2011, 06:37 PM
I learned a long time ago that it's usually misguided to like or hate a pick too much, so it's been a long time since I 'hated' a pick. However, I wasn't thrilled about the Falcons taking Roddy White. There were a number of defenders I wanted them to take instead.

Unbiased
08-16-2011, 07:01 PM
I was actually upset with both DTs who start for the Jags.

-Knighton, 3rd rounder in 2009: I was well aware of him because my dad went to Temple so we try to keep tabs on them but I really didn't consider him to be anywhere close to a 3rd round value. Started day 1 and never looked back. He has trouble keeping his weight in the 330s but he's a monster at NT.

-Alualu, 1st rounder last year: This was the big shocker pick from last year. I was truly shocked when I heard it announced by Goodell. Then I was a little confused because Mayock didn't seem phased by it, he talked him up without even pausing. The more I read about him and watched of him, the more I liked the pick and by August, I was thinking, 'Can we please start the season so everyone sees he was a good pick?' Honestly, I wanted Graham or Clausen. Glad we didn't pick Clausen.

BaLLiN
08-16-2011, 07:06 PM
Hated Aaron Ross. I guess it worked out for a little bit but I wanted Jon Beason at the time. Yeah, safe to say that would've worked out pretty well but we're the Giants. We don't draft linebackers anymore.. or good ones for that matter.

Jon Beason was drafted before our pick, and I was between Beason, Ross, then Leon Hall then Revis. I wanted no part of chris houston bc of the arkansas cb that busted a few years previous.

My bigger blunder was Kenny Phillips, I wanted Reggie Smith (CB/S from oklahoma) KP had injury problems, but he has been solid and this year looks alot better with 2 years apart from surgery.

Reggie Smith has looked ok for the 49ers, but not nearly as good as i expected him to be.

Unbiased
08-16-2011, 07:10 PM
Beason was drafted 5 picks after Ross.

bucfan12
08-16-2011, 07:24 PM
How about picks you loved at the time, then hated them after?

Bucs should definately drafted Carlos Dunlap over Brian Price last year. Price has a long road ahead of him to come back to.

Halsey
08-16-2011, 08:09 PM
I liked Jamaal Anderson. I mean, he's big, athletic, played in the SEC and has almost the same exact name as a past Falcon's star. What's not to like?

NY+Giants=NYG
08-16-2011, 08:56 PM

Bucs should definately drafted Carlos Dunlap over Brian Price last year. Price has a long road ahead of him to come back to.

That I loved and now hate...

Hmmm....Jacobs maybe.. I liked and was intrigued by him when we drafted him. Now I am not a fan of him. I hope Bradshaw can stay healthy and beat him out!

descendency
08-16-2011, 09:16 PM
Price has a long road ahead of him to come back to.

I still don't see how he went so high... he's fat, lazy, and was out of position a ton.

If we are talking Love->Hate. Darius Butler. Darius Butler. Darius Butler. I couldn't believe we got the kid in the middle of the second round. I thought it was a steal. I even thought he was better than Vontae Davis. Now, I think he could be cut any minute. I didn't think his soft play would be such a big deal. He'd probably be better if he'd played WR/RB instead of CB. He has football athleticism, just no talent.

Pat Sims 90
08-16-2011, 09:18 PM

We will see if they should have taken Dunlap but after 1 season it is hard to guess how players careers will go.

A Perfect Score
08-16-2011, 09:37 PM
My issues with the Joe Flacco pick have been well documented on this site. I also screamed at my TV when we took Paul Kruger over Sean Smith.

V.I.P
08-16-2011, 09:50 PM
I still don't see how he went so high... he's fat, lazy, and was out of position a ton.

Heard alot of this pre-draft, and now i'm seeing it first hand =( .. Damn you Brian Price!

SickwithIt1010
08-16-2011, 09:53 PM
The Brandon Graham pick last year. When we traded up I thought it was guaranteed that we were doing it for Earl Thomas...the next day I was able to convince myself that we would be find....Graham is a great player. Hopefully he comes back healthy this year.

Ravens1991
08-16-2011, 09:57 PM
My issues with the Joe Flacco pick have been well documented on this site. I also screamed at my TV when we took Paul Kruger over Sean Smith.

I honestly dont think anyone knew wtf was going on when we took Kruger. and it seems they obviously didnt know wtf to do with him when he was inactive for just about every game his rookie year and a bench warmer his 2nd year. He at least showed something this past pre season game. But that pick will always sting because Mike Wallace was still on the board.

superman8456
08-16-2011, 10:04 PM
I hated the Desean Jackson pick. I thought he would be a good punt returner, but provide no help at the WR position. I thought he would be injury prone, unable to get separation against NFL caliber CB's and unable to beat the press.

Boy, was I wrong. He turned out to be everything and then some that the Eagles needed.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
08-16-2011, 10:27 PM
I wasn't sold on the Sanchez pick at the time. I was comfortable waiting for Freeman. It took me a few days to come on board with a USC guy. The trade being very reasonable helped too. Thus far he has done solid enough to get four (4) playoff wins, so regardless of what people say about him I can't complain with his resume thus far in the W/L column.

I was a little upset about Kyle Wilson selection initially. I remember wanting Sergio Kindle pretty hard. I then wanted him even worse in the second round but we got Ducasse (thus far, lets just say he looks to be pretty awful).

JPF
08-16-2011, 10:41 PM
For the Panthers...

Steve Smith, 3rd rd, 2001- Never thought he'd be more than a return guy and slot receiver at best and I wasn't sure he'd even be that. Remember being upset that we past on Snoop Minnis.

bucfan12
08-16-2011, 11:46 PM
Heard alot of this pre-draft, and now i'm seeing it first hand =( .. Damn you Brian Price!

He wasn't fat at all coming into his rookie year.

His injury during the 2010 season prevented him of doing any type of exercise or workouts at all until July. Of course he put on about 30 lbs.

Ever since he's been cleared, he's been rehabing and working out daily. Plus, as a 2nd round pick last year, he was unable to get the proper rehab during the lockout, so that has to be taken into effect.

The injury he has is where his hamstring is screwed to his pelvis and it's a very difficult recovery for a football player to come back from.

Caddy
08-17-2011, 12:06 AM

Pretty sure I was the only Bucs fan around here that wanted him!

V.I.P
08-17-2011, 12:10 AM
He wasn't fat at all coming into his rookie year.

His injury during the 2010 season prevented him of doing any type of exercise or workouts at all until July. Of course he put on about 30 lbs.

Ever since he's been cleared, he's been rehabing and working out daily. Plus, as a 2nd round pick last year, he was unable to get the proper rehab during the lockout, so that has to be taken into effect.

The injury he has is where his hamstring is screwed to his pelvis and it's a very difficult recovery for a football player to come back from.

A few scouting reports said he was out of shape. I'll look for links. But yeah his two hamstrings disconnecting from his pelvis, and coming off the bone is really gonna **** him up.

Caddy
08-17-2011, 12:11 AM
-Josh Johnson (I think another 2nd rounder like T-Jack, overvalued for his "athletic ability" when it was clear he wasn't a great passer)

I know he wasn't at a top tier school, but his passing stats were phenomenal... And it's not like he was an early pick either.

CC.SD
08-17-2011, 12:22 AM
I remember being pissed that we passed on Vick after all the hype to take the weird named running back. LOL, ME

anyway more recently, Eric Weddle? We gave up two extra thirds to move up in the second because every other safety prospect got snatched up and we had somehow drafted Buster Davis in the first round. He has panned out, a bit overrated right now but a quality FS.

bucfan12
08-17-2011, 12:31 AM
Pretty sure I was the only Bucs fan around here that wanted him!

Pretty sure we can still get Larry English in a trade. THought San Diego had him on the block because they realized he's a 4-3 end that couldnt play 3-4 olb.

bucfan12
08-17-2011, 12:33 AM
I remember being pissed that we passed on Vick after all the hype to take the weird named running back. LOL, ME

anyway more recently, Eric Weddle? We gave up two extra thirds to move up in the second because every other safety prospect got snatched up and we had somehow drafted Buster Davis in the first round. He has panned out, a bit overrated right now but a quality FS.

Weddle is a good player, but he's not as good as the money he's making, which is more than Reed and Polumolu.

CC.SD
08-17-2011, 12:35 AM
Weddle is a good player, but he's not as good as the money he's making, which is more than Reed and Polumolu.

That is interesting, where did you find that amazing stat of Reed and Polamalu's combined salary not equaling Weddle's? :/

V.I.P
08-17-2011, 01:12 AM

I wanted Weddle so bad coming out, he played every position possible at Utah. Unfortunately, we got Sabby Picitelli.

papa burgundy
08-17-2011, 01:17 AM
Frank Gore .. thought his legs were shot and there were better RBs still on the board ..

Caddy
08-17-2011, 01:18 AM
Pretty sure we can still get Larry English in a trade. THought San Diego had him on the block because they realized he's a 4-3 end that couldnt play 3-4 olb.

Eww no thanks.

MucBuc
08-17-2011, 02:24 AM
QB Josh Freeman - didn't hate him, but was not very happy with the pick
WR Arrelious Benn - jury's still out, but the lights seemed to go on towards the end of his rookie year
DE Erik Lorig - there were a few other players left that I wanted, so the pick of a DE that noone ever heard of and that didn't produce much in college seemed like a waste. Now he's our starting FB...

Vikes99ej
08-17-2011, 02:36 AM
Chad Greenway. I wanted Ernie Sims soooooooo bad.

Nikolas
08-17-2011, 04:04 AM
2006. First pick of the draft. Do we take Vince Young, or Reggie Bush? I'm a Texas fan, so I was wanting us to ditch Carr and grab Young. And then we go and grab Mario Williams, wtf?

Now, five years later. Young has been cut, Bush has been traded, neither lived up to their hype. And Mario? He's still Super Mario! (Though, being in a 3-4 might be a waste of his talents.)

tjsunstein
08-17-2011, 06:04 AM
Loved at the time; hate now:

Aaron Rouse
Javon Walker
Pat Lee

BandwagonPunditry
08-17-2011, 08:42 AM

It's the way these threads always go.

Anyway, I hated the Patrick Willis pick. I was convinced we'd regret passing on Adam Carriker... I think that might have been my finest hour as a draftnik.

etk
08-17-2011, 09:07 AM
Aqib Talib, by far. I guess you could say his character concerns were valid but I also thought he was a lazy, freelancing corner that had no physicality and overrated speed. He has done some freelancing and he's been suspended a couple times but overall he's been a rare blend of shutdown and playmaking at corner. Size, hips and burst are everything and I overlooked those traits in favor of analyzing his weaknesses.

I didn't want Josh Freeman heading into the draft because his decision-making and accuracy was questionable in college. I reasoned with myself shortly after he was picked because we needed a QB so bad that the pick was necessary. If I knew how excellent his intangibles were I would've supported him from the get-go. Intangibles are something that us amateur scouts rarely get to measure.

Then there's Arrelious Benn who's in my sig now. I wanted Golden Tate instead. The jury's still out I guess.

The other guys I didn't want: Dexter Jackson, Arron Sears, Sabby Piscitelli, Davin Joseph (not worth a 1st rounder, which was the issue the whole fanbase had in the 1st place), Michael Clayton. ugh.

DiG
08-17-2011, 09:19 AM
Wasn't happy taking Fred Davis in the 2nd when we already had Cooley. Although I have a feeling that in the next year or two I am going to be very glad we did. Wanted Calais Campbell.

Wasn't at all happy with the Malcolm Kelly pick after we week Devin Thomas earlier in the 2nd round. Wanted Jason Jones.

I wanted Aaron Rodgers at #9 in 2005 instead of Carlos Rogers. Also the same year, hated the trade up in the first round for Jason Campbell.

K Train
08-17-2011, 09:32 AM
i thought josh freeman was another andre woodson personally. couldnt fathom the idea of taking him in the first, actually i refused to mock him there

Bills2083
08-17-2011, 09:36 AM
2006 - Most Bills fans were either on the Broderick Bunkley, Winston Justice, or Haloti Ngata train. I wanted Ngata because we got rid of Pat Williams after '04 and released Sam Adams right before the draft. We had a stout defense with them and Bills fans wanted to get that back, so many were set on Ngata. Apparently there is a report that prior to the draft, the Bills' FO told Ngata that if he were available, we'd take him. We picked Donte Whitner 8th... Ngata went to Baltimore 12th...

2009 - The Bills needed to upgrade their pass-rush badly. So they decided to go after a one-year-wonder in Aaron Maybin. He played around 220 pounds at Penn State, bulked up to 250 right before the combine (which caused his speed/agility to substantially decrease). He showed up to Buffalo and never produced. If you watched the game, you could see that he was essentially incapable of changing directions. He was absolutely abysmal at planting his foot and changing direction on a dime, or even breaking down. He showed up to training camp this year at 228 pounds, blaming it on his metabolism. Most Bills fans wanted Brian Orakpo, Michael Oher, Briandon Pettigrew, or Malcolm Jenkins. I believe I was on the Oher/Jenkins trains.

2010 - I didn't necessarily hate CJ Spiller, but we already had Lynch/Jackson in the backfield. Our offensive line had been abysmal, like it has been for the last decade. So I wanted the Bills to draft Anthony Davis, Bryan Bulaga, or Dan Williams to anchor the DLine as we transitioned to a 3-4.

DeepThreat
08-17-2011, 10:04 AM
honestly, denver's been so godawful at drafting the last decade that i don't there was a dislikable guy that we've drafted who actually turned out to be good.

This for the Browns. I thought T.J. Ward was taken way too soon, and I didn't love Colt McCoy (though I was okay with the pick since it was in the 3rd round).

League wide, I didn't think Orakpo could play linebacker and I thought Josh Freeman was a 2nd rounder.

Really, I haven't been following the draft closely for long enough to have a ton yet. I'm sure more will pop up soon.

Crazy_Chris
08-17-2011, 02:33 PM
I really hated the thought of the Vikings drafting Percy Harvin... Now I am very happy he is on the team.

Mr. Goosemahn
08-17-2011, 02:59 PM
That is interesting, where did you find that amazing stat of Reed and Polamalu's combined salary not equaling Weddle's? :/

I don't think he meant combined, just that he's getting paid more than either Reed or Polamalu. He's the second highest paid safety in NFL history, behind Eric Berry.

In any case, according to Rotoworld:

Eric Weddle will earn $1 million in 2011 out of a 5 year, $50 million contract (signed 2011)

Eric Berry will earn $3.9 million in 2011 out of a 5 year, $60 million contract (signed 2010).

Ed Reed will earn $6.5 million in 2011 out of a 6 year, $44.4 million contract (signed 2006).

Troy Polamalu will earn $6.4 million in 2011 out of a 4 year $30.2 million contract (signed 2007).

Eric Berry has more money guaranteed ($34 million) than Polamalu has in his entire deal.

Stupid Chiefs effing up safety prices for everyone...

keylime_5
08-17-2011, 03:16 PM
I personally didn't hate any of these moves, but the consensus of Browns fans didn't consider them very exciting or sexy compared to some guys we could have taken, yet they have proved to be much better choices by the front office's part:

Joe Thomas (no one hated the pick - everyone knew he was gonna be a perennial pro bowler, but most fans were expecting Brady Quinn or Adrian Peterson to be the pick)

Same with Alex Mack, everyone liked Mack, but he wasn't the sexy/flashy pick like Chris Wells or Clay Matthews would've been (basically every browns fan was crying for Clay to be the pick in '09). Mack scored a touchdown in the pro bowl this past year.

Joe Haden (no one hated this pick either, just not flashy. of who was left, most fans were very happy with Haden. However everyone wanted to land one of Sam Bradford, Ndamukong Suh, Gerald McCoy, Eric Berry, or Earl Thomas with our first pick....especially Eric Berry. Haden wasn't flashy since he ran a poor combine 40, but has proved to be a great pick)

TJ Ward (no one had him in their 2nd round radar and we took him in the early second round over bigger names like Taylor Mays. Has since become a fan favorite and everyone is elated that the FO took Ward and proved that they know way more than us fans.)

You could maybe lump Phil Taylor in there too as the same type of situation (even though we don't know how good he will be yet being a rookie). Not that everyone hates the pick, but we had a top 10 pick and were expecting a top 10 player, instead we landed a top 25 player. That is a little different situation though because we got a ton of extra draft picks in compensation that everyone is thrilled about, but like Haden, Thomas, Mack and Ward - Taylor wasn't a "sexy pick" or flashy player like WRs.

On the flipside we took Wimbley over Ngata in 2006 and everyone felt like they were just kicked in the crotch by the front office, and have since been proven right by watching Ngata become the best DT in the game.

Preston
08-17-2011, 03:45 PM
I wanted Mendenhall over Chris Williams in 2008, and likewise didn't want Forte in the 2nd round. The players I wanted that year (Mendenhall, Dennis Dixon and Limas Sweed) all went to the Steelers. I was pissed.

I didn't like the Major Wright pick either.

redbills
08-18-2011, 12:29 AM
Whitner (wanted Nagata)
McCargo (wanted Mangold)
Lynch (wanted Quinn then Revis)
McKelvin wanted McKelvin
Maybin (wanted Orakpo)
Wood wanted Wood
Spiller (wanted Bulaga)

The Alex
08-18-2011, 01:48 AM
I'll be honest, I hated the Chris Johnson pick at the time. I wanted the Titans to get some receivers for Vince Young. I'm so glad I was wrong.

Donno
08-18-2011, 01:56 AM
Sam Bradford, I didn't think he would be better than Clausen. Enough said. (Not that I'm a Rams fan)

WMD
08-18-2011, 02:04 AM
Considering 99% of the Lions picks pre-Mayhew turned out to be ******, none of them can count.. I hated the Gosder pick at the time, he was solid last year. I didn't really like the Pettigrew pick. I liked him as a prospect but I wanted Maualuga, Oher, or Vontae Davis more.

General Zod
08-18-2011, 05:40 AM
I hated the Percy Harvin pick at the time. Just because Oher, Nicks and Britt were still there.

So I guess that Harvin pick turn out ok? lol

Caddy
08-18-2011, 05:43 AM
How you guys didn't take Oher is beyond me.

7DnBrnc53
08-18-2011, 06:01 AM
In 1992, I didn't understand the selection of Tommy Maddox. Denver needed Carl Pickens a lot more.

I also didn't understand the pick of Richard Quinn in the second round two years ago.

M.O.T.H.
08-18-2011, 06:10 AM
Loved at the time; hate now:

Aaron Rouse
Javon Walker
Pat Lee

I wanted Javon Walker in that draft so bad. But I was more than happy when we drafted Antonio Bryant in the 2nd. Turns out the guy was bat **** crazy. Still talented as hell, though.

The Dynasty
08-18-2011, 11:50 AM
I hated the Percy Harvin pick at the time. Just because Oher, Nicks and Britt were still there.

So I guess that Harvin pick turn out ok? lol

Same.. I wanted Oher over Harvin. I was really pissed we took Harvin. But like you said, I guess it turned out ok.

drowe
08-18-2011, 01:40 PM
I was an Aaron Rodgers hater going into the 2005 Draft. I laughed as he fell in the draft...until it got to the early 20s. Then, I got nervous.

Oops.

But...I LOVED the Brian Brohm pick 3 years later. I thought he was the future.

I win the fail contest.

NotRickJames
08-20-2011, 03:12 PM
Darrius Heyward-Bey. I thought it was a terrible pick but it just goes to show al knew something about the kid that I didn't.

Oh, wait. Nevermind.

Miaoww
08-22-2011, 10:11 PM
Cam Newton.

katnip
08-24-2011, 01:00 AM
one i that popped in my head right away.. nick mangold & kellen clemens, instead of trading picks to get cutler

TheFinisher
08-24-2011, 11:18 AM
The one I'll always be mad about is when Stephen Jackson fell to us and we wound up trading out of the pick and selecting Julius Jones later.

SuperMcGee
08-24-2011, 12:21 PM
The one I'll always be mad about is when Stephen Jackson fell to us and we wound up trading out of the pick and selecting Julius Jones later.

Fans of the team trading up aren't too happy about that one, either.

JonasBlane
08-24-2011, 03:01 PM
I wanted Larry Johnson over Polamalu at the time. I think I may have even been hoping for Steven Jackson over Ben the following year. I didn't hate either pick, I Just wanted different guys.

I hated the Timmons/Woodley picks at the time as I felt we were relatively set at LB compared to other positions like OL. Still kind of true as we still lack talent at OL, but I obviously wouldn't take back the picks.

Shane P. Hallam
08-24-2011, 03:11 PM
I wasn't a fan of the Timmons pick by the Steelers, thought he was the next Alonzo Jackson

bigbluedefense
08-24-2011, 03:30 PM
I don't think I've hated any of the guys Reese drafted. The Jerry Reese era has been good to me.

I think the last pick I hated was Accorsi's last year. I hated that we took Kiwi. I wanted Winston Justice so bad. So that turned out well for us.

Oh. Phillip Dillard in the 4th. I didn't want us to take a LB, I figure what's the point of taking a mediocre LB here when we have more talent at other positions on the board?

I wanted Geno Atkins BAD. So I was upset that we didn't take a chance on Geno in the 3rd or 4th. I liked Jimmy Graham a lot too but I knew we wouldn't take him bc we drated Beckum.

Yuck. Right now I'd love to have Graham or Geno on our team.

bigbluedefense
08-24-2011, 03:31 PM
Oh and Mitch Petrus. I wanted the Center from BC bc I knew O'Hara was washed up and we'd need a Center.

Turns out Petrus is going to be a stud in the making. The guy is a beast, now I'm very happy we made that pick.

SimonRath
08-24-2011, 11:02 PM
I was extremely pissed when we drafted matt ryan. Like, EXTREMELY mad.. now he's my favorite player in the nfl.

V.I.P
08-24-2011, 11:10 PM
Also i hated the Arrelious Benn pick, i wanted Golden Tate sooooo bad!!!!!

I kinda like the pick now, since we ended up getting Mike Williams in the 4th.

Mr.Regular
08-24-2011, 11:21 PM
I haven't hated many Thompson picks. I trust him.
I didn't like the Jordy Nelson pick, mainly because of the position. He's turned out to be quite valuable.

I sadly liked the Brohm pick. Thought it was a slamdunk Matt Schaub scenario waiting to happen.

etk
08-29-2011, 02:24 PM
Also i hated the Arrelious Benn pick, i wanted Golden Tate sooooo bad!!!!!

I kinda like the pick now, since we ended up getting Mike Williams in the 4th.

The jury is out on those 2. I felt the same way at the time, but I didn't know that Olson had plans to use Benn as a playmaker on scripted running plays, bubble screens, etc. He's been excellent in his role as a YAC guy and deep threat.

Tate probably would've been a shorter version of MW19, so it made sense not to draft him.

Notredameleo
08-29-2011, 02:56 PM
Hated the Pettigrew pick for the Lions. We could have had Oher, but you cant argue with his production so far.

phlysac
08-29-2011, 03:16 PM
Since 2005...

I hated the selections of ...

Rasheed Marshall
Patrick Estes
Brandon Williams
Jay Moore
Kentwan Balmer
Chilo Rachal
Cody Wallace
Glen Coffee
Taylor Mays

Guess I was right

But to be fair I loved the selections of...

Daven Holly
Marcus Maxwell
Manny Lawson
Parys Haralson
Joe Staley
Thomas Clayton
Scott McKillop
Nate Davis
Anthony Davis

Watchman
08-29-2011, 04:48 PM
For the Bucs:

Almost every draft pick the team had while Gruden was head coach. They just didn't seem to take the draft seriously.

A couple of others/highlights
1997 - I have to admit I didn't like the Warwick Dunn pick - thought he was way to small.
2001 - Kenyatta Walker when Steve Hutchinson was sitting there!!! I was screaming at the TV on that one.
2004 - Taking Michael Clayton with Steven Jackson sitting on the board and you have no RB worth a damn on your roster!!!!
2005 - Carnell Williams - extremely rare that a top 10 pick should be used on a RB.
2007 - Gaines Adams - I thought he had bust written all over him.