PDA

View Full Version : Takeo Spikes to Philly?!?

drmoyer421
03-24-2007, 09:47 PM
I just wanted to see if anyone there has heard this rumor in Philly.

At the Buffalo Bills official message board, one of our longtime members who lives in Philly wrote that he had heard on WIP 610 that there were trade talks between the Bills and the Eagles about Takeo Spikes. He is not one to make up stories and has been a member for years, so it may have legs.

Has anyone else in the Philly area heard this today?

Big Mike
03-24-2007, 09:51 PM
never heard that

cunningham06
03-25-2007, 12:12 AM
Never heard that but it makes me wonder, are the Bills just trying to get rid of all their good players? Seriously they have gotten rid of Clements and Fletcher already, Takeo Spikes too? I would love to get him, he would probably play strongside here which I'm sure he's capable of.

bsaza2358
03-25-2007, 01:34 AM
I wouldn't call Fletcher really "good" anymore. They got rid of him at the end of his prime or maybe even in the middle of his decline. His productivity had really slipped.

As for Spikes, he is not what he was pre-Achilles tear. His contract his huge, and I'm not sure I want him as an Eagle now. 3 years ago, absolutely. Now, he's almost 30 and is owed a ton of money. Why make that move now?

ihatephilly
03-25-2007, 05:58 AM
Yes I did hear that yesterday morning on WIP. It was Rhea Hughes saying that Anthony Gargano said that Spikes to the Eagles was a "done deal". He does have some contacts inside the Eagles, but I really don't buy that it is a done deal. Maybe they're trying to work something out. Thats far from being a done deal.

After she said that, a caller said that he knows someone within the Eagles FO, and that the Eagles are absolutly trying to get Spikes.

Its just rumors right now, but I did hear that. If it was anywhere near being a done deal, there would have been a leak to the real media by now.

eaglesalltheway
03-25-2007, 08:42 AM
Here is the leak. On another site (can't post a link) it says that the Bills are at almost "done-deal" status in trading Takeo Spikes to an "undisclosed team". Sounds like the Eagles are an organization that would not want to disclose that stuff. That being said, I would rather that we don't get Spikes. His contract is huge and he has lost a step since his injury. If he is able to play like he did before the injury, I am all for it. As long as we don't get ripped off. This also could have gone in the LB thread, but I'm not sure if Drmoyer is too familiar with the Eagles forum.

ihatephilly
03-25-2007, 08:53 AM
BuffaloNews.com:
The Buffalo Bills are getting closer to trading linebacker Takeo Spikes, The Buffalo News has learned.

Trade negotiations gained steam Friday and Saturday, and a deal might be consummated within the next day, a league source told The News.

Numerous teams reportedly were interested in acquiring the 30-year-old former Pro Bowler, but which one ultimately would win his services still was not known Saturday night. Spikes is entering what likely would be the final year of his contract with the Bills, and a trade may involve Spikes agreeing to a new contract with his new team. The Bills have an option to pick up the last year of Spikes’ contract, in 2008.

Maybe Anthony Gargano was right. Now its leaked. Could the Eagles be on the recieving end?

http://www.buffalonews.com/111/story/39588.html

TNewFan41
03-25-2007, 09:03 AM
I wouldn't call Fletcher really "good" anymore. They got rid of him at the end of his prime or maybe even in the middle of his decline. His productivity had really slipped.

As for Spikes, he is not what he was pre-Achilles tear. His contract his huge, and I'm not sure I want him as an Eagle now. 3 years ago, absolutely. Now, he's almost 30 and is owed a ton of money. Why make that move now?

30 is YOUNG dude. But I know what you mean because of his Achilles tear.

eaglesalltheway
03-25-2007, 12:42 PM
But it isn't young either. He has probably two or three solid years left in him, that is it.

SuperMcGee
03-25-2007, 12:52 PM

Fletch had statistically one of the best seasons of his career. But no, he is not a game dominator and probably shouldn't be expected to be a "great" player. A good leader and a solid player. I'll agree that we let him loose at the end of his prime.
Spikes showed flashes of his dominance last year, but they were few and far between. A recurring hamstring problem hurt him last year. I think he can have a great year if used correctly. He has the same mindset and intensity, and could have the same ability even. Buffalo was not the best place for him anymore. He didn't like our little rebuilding mode and wasn't great in our scheme. He could defintiely be good for you. Not sure what would happen contract-wise, but Spikes is the one seeking out this trade and looking to be a winner, so maybe he'll be content with a new contract.

eaglesalltheway
03-25-2007, 01:27 PM
I hope so, because the Eagles don't exactly have a load of money to spend right now.

SportzFreak
03-25-2007, 03:45 PM
I like this deal if Takeo Spikes passes a thorough physical examination (nobody wants a former pro-bowler who is still lingering from a serious injury two years ago.) As mentioned before, Takeo has a large contract that would have to be signifcantly smaller to minimize the risk-factor. If those things work out, the Eagles can then focus on drafting somebody like Michael Griffin, to fill our "need" at the SS spot. Considine is decent but is more suited to play FS, also, Griffin could play FS if needed when Dawkins retires in a couple of years.

I must mention that I would love to Puz in an Eagles uniform, but I would not trade up to ensure his selection. I would not however mind if the Eagles trade up for Griffin.

Dwayne Bowe, Robert Meachem, Chris Houston, Griffin, Puz, Timmons, Beason would all be excellent selections at 26.

drmoyer421
03-25-2007, 04:25 PM
I came to respond to my opening post with that buffalo news site, but saw someone already posted it.

SPIKES IS PERFECT FOR THE EAGLES!!

To comment on Spikes and the Bills moves.

First that Achilles injury has slowed his speed down a tad, BUT NOT HIS INTENSITY. The Bills are getting younger faster team and are rebuilding for the future. With one year left on his contract, its better to get something for him than let him go next year.

For a blitzing team like the Eagles, Spikes is PERFECT for, and if you think his achilles injury still bothering him.. LOOK AT CULPEPPERS FIRST PLAY ON THE FIRST GAME THIS YEAR AGAINST THE BILLS! Where Spikes blitzed in and caused a fumble that turned into a TD.

For a team like Buffalo who is in the midst of rebuilding they are trying to build a team that can grow together. The Eagles have had thier leadership grwon from the inside already on their team with Donovan McNabb and Brian Westbrook on the offense and someone like Jerimiah Trotter and Biran Dawkins on the defense. They were grown within the system and are the rock of the team no matter who is added or lost in free agency. Levy is trying to build a team like that, and like his old Superbowl teams. He has Losman and Lee Evans and now needs some fresh new faces to take over the defense and he started last year with Whitner and Ko Simpson. He will add a top LB like Patrick Willis this year along with a up and coming Angelo Crowell who will take a new role as a leader.

This is a win win for both teams!!

cunningham06
03-25-2007, 04:25 PM
I like this deal if Takeo Spikes passes a thorough physical examination (nobody wants a former pro-bowler who is still lingering from a serious injury two years ago.) As mentioned before, Takeo has a large contract that would have to be signifcantly smaller to minimize the risk-factor. If those things work out, the Eagles can then focus on drafting somebody like Michael Griffin, to fill our "need" at the SS spot. Considine is decent but is more suited to play FS, also, Griffin could play FS if needed when Dawkins retires in a couple of years.

I must mention that I would love to Puz in an Eagles uniform, but I would not trade up to ensure his selection. I would not however mind if the Eagles trade up for Griffin.

Dwayne Bowe, Robert Meachem, Chris Houston, Griffin, Puz, Timmons, Beason would all be excellent selections at 26.

I would be surprised to see the Eagles trade up in round one this year, but I do see it very likely that we trade up in the second or third rounds. I doubt we will need to trade up for Griffin because the team that was most likely to get him before us was the Cowboys, but since they just got Hamlin they will probably go in a different direction.

SuperMcGee
03-25-2007, 05:30 PM
I
For a blitzing team like the Eagles, Spikes is PERFECT for, and if you think his achilles injury still bothering him.. LOOK AT CULPEPPERS FIRST PLAY ON THE FIRST GAME THIS YEAR AGAINST THE BILLS! Where Spikes blitzed in and caused a fumble that turned into a TD.

That was Tom Brady that Spikes demolished on the first play of the year. And yes, it was amazing.

drmoyer421
03-25-2007, 05:39 PM
That was Tom Brady that Spikes demolished on the first play of the year. And yes, it was amazing.

my bad, I was thinking about the hit and kept seeing the game in my head where they lit up Culpepper with all those sacks and turnovers.

SuperMcGee
03-25-2007, 05:47 PM
my bad, I was thinking about the hit and kept seeing the game in my head where they lit up Culpepper with all those sacks and turnovers.

Ryan Denney owns Culpepper

eaglesalltheway
03-25-2007, 06:24 PM
I am hopeful we get a guy like Spikes, but where would we use him? We already have Trotter and Gaither. Could Spikes play SAM? Is that where he played in Buffalo? Or would Trotter get cut and Spikes Take over and MIKE. Or would Gaither take over at MIKE and the two OLB positions be up for grabs this off-season?

jonbrodo17
03-25-2007, 08:17 PM
i haven't heard it at all. I wouldn't mind Spikes, but I dont buy it, hes basically the player that the eagles stay away. 30 years old, injury history and LB. so I don't buy it but i guess the eagles know what they're doing

drmoyer421
03-25-2007, 09:37 PM
I am hopeful we get a guy like Spikes, but where would we use him? We already have Trotter and Gaither. Could Spikes play SAM? Is that where he played in Buffalo? Or would Trotter get cut and Spikes Take over and MIKE. Or would Gaither take over at MIKE and the two OLB positions be up for grabs this off-season?

Spikes played Sam and Will for the Bills

bills_red
03-25-2007, 09:41 PM
Ryan Denney owns Culpepper

agree with that

brat316
03-25-2007, 09:42 PM
i think the eagles are trying to find an experinced or veteran player at lb, becuase i also heard they were interested in Al Wilson before he failed his physical so u nver know

BuffaloDraftGeek
03-25-2007, 10:53 PM
Bills are getting rid of spikes because he's a shell of his former self. He got drasticaly outplayed by a 6th round pick last year. Could he rebound? Sure, but he will never be the same.

eaglesalltheway
03-26-2007, 06:24 AM
If this trade were to happen, I hope he would be able to rebound.

cunningham06
03-26-2007, 08:25 PM
With a guy like Takeo's work ethic and drive, I expect him to do well for us. He's not lazy like Lavar Arrington so I expect he will be a good player for us.

eaglesalltheway
03-26-2007, 08:59 PM
With a guy like Takeo's work ethic and drive, I expect him to do well for us. He's not lazy like Lavar Arrington so I expect he will be a good player for us.

He is certainly an upgrade over Dhani.

brat316
03-26-2007, 09:00 PM
If Gocong isnt capable of playing that spot and we all know Dhani isnt any chance they might try McCoy at that spot

eaglesalltheway
03-26-2007, 09:03 PM
You mean SAM? Spikes could play either of our OLB spots, but I see our starting LBs on week one as Trotter at MIKE, Gaither at WILL, and Spikes at SAM.

camp_eagles
03-27-2007, 04:57 PM
It is amazing how biased WGR550 (buffalo sports radio station) is all they did today was trash Spikes over nothing. And they called Darwin Walker more of a play maker than Takeo Spikes. The least they could do is thank him for his services.

SuperMcGee
03-27-2007, 07:26 PM
It is amazing how biased WGR550 (buffalo sports radio station) is all they did today was trash Spikes over nothing. And they called Darwin Walker more of a play maker than Takeo Spikes. The least they could do is thank him for his services.

I didn't hear it, but depending on who it was, I might not doubt it. Some of the guys they have are total idiots.

eaglesalltheway
03-28-2007, 06:30 AM

Hah!! Wlker a bigger playmaker than Spike? Those guys muzt be idiots.