PDA

View Full Version : First CB Off The Board in 2012 Draft

shylo3716
08-17-2011, 08:02 PM
Which CB will be lucky #1?

Pat Sims 90
08-17-2011, 08:23 PM
If Jenkins was not a dumbass i would have said him but i went with Kirkpatrick.

princefielder28
08-17-2011, 08:23 PM
If I had to guess what NFL teams will be thinking come April, my guess would be Kirkpatrick...if it was me making the pick my #1 CB would be Minnifield

thenewfeature06
08-17-2011, 08:53 PM
Harris all day.

Prolly will be Kirkpatrick.

dannyz
08-17-2011, 09:09 PM
Dennard is going to be out for awhile. He suffered a Leg Injury in Practice.

keylime_5
08-17-2011, 09:35 PM
Kirkpatrick. Harris is too small. Minnifield is the darkhorse, he has legit top 10-15 potential.

Woody56
08-18-2011, 04:19 AM
Minnifield should be.

Razor
08-18-2011, 05:31 AM
It all depends on where which team will draft naturally. I went with my #1 corner, Jayron Hosley. I think he's a zone corner first and foremost, so I have to see how he fares this year where he'll see more man coverage. But if he gets drafted by the right team he could be very, very good.

JBCX
08-18-2011, 09:14 AM
Greg Reid of FSU. He's going to have a monster year and open up some eyes.

K Train
08-18-2011, 09:21 AM
i think rhodes is the most talented, but i dont know if he declares.

i LOVE dennard and minnifield and im not shy about expressing my man love for them lol

i dont like kirkpatrick at all, but i think theres a chance hes the first one

Razor
08-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Greg Reid of FSU. He's going to have a monster year and open up some eyes.

You just don't take a 5'8" corner in the top ten, let alone the first round. I love Reid, but he's not a first rounder.

tjsunstein
08-18-2011, 07:09 PM
Went with Hosley, Kirkpatrick second, and Gilmore third.

D-Unit
08-18-2011, 07:26 PM
Morris Claiborne, CB LSU

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0810/ncf_a_MorrisClaiborne_cmg_300.jpg

A lot of the times I was watching LSU last year, I got confused thinking Claiborne was Peterson. Watch out... he's a baller.

tjsunstein
08-18-2011, 07:32 PM
First Tier:
1. Jayron Hosley, Virginia Tech
2. Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama
3. Stephon Gilmore, South Carolina
4. Chase Minnifield, Virginia
5. Alfonzo Denard, Nebraska
6. Cliff Harris, Oregon

Second Tier:
7. Desmond Trufant, Washington
8. Coryell Judie, Texas A&M
9. Morris Caliborne, LSU
10. Casey Heyward, Vanderbilt

Razor
08-18-2011, 07:39 PM
First Tier:
6. Cliff Harris, Oregon

Second Tier:
9. Morris Caliborne, LSU

Pretty similar to my CB rankings:

5. Xavier Rhodes, Florida State
6. Alfonzo Dennard, Nebraska
7. Cliff Harris, Oregon
9. Morris Claiborne, LSU
10. Greg Reid, Florida State
11. Janoris Jenkins, North Alabama

princefielder28
08-18-2011, 08:32 PM
First Tier:
6. Cliff Harris, Oregon

Second Tier:
9. Morris Caliborne, LSU

Pretty similar to my CB rankings:

5. Xavier Rhodes, Florida State
6. Alfonzo Dennard, Nebraska
7. Cliff Harris, Oregon
9. Morris Claiborne, LSU
10. Greg Reid, Florida State
11. Janoris Jenkins, North Alabama

1. Chase Minnifield : VIRGINIA
2. Alfonzo Dennard : NEBRASKA
3. Stephon Gilmore : SOUTH CAROLINA*
4. Morris Claiborne : LOUISIANA STATE*
5. Jayron Hosley : VIRGINIA TECH*
6. Dre Kirkpatrick : ALABAMA*
7. Cliff Harris : OREGON*
8. Trumaine Johnson : MONTANA
9. Brandon Boykin : GEORGIA
10. Coryell Judie : TEXAS A&M
11. Leonard Johnson : IOWA STATE
12. Janoris Jenkins : NORTH ALABAMA

I don't have all eligible underclassmen in my rankings

BaLLiN
08-18-2011, 08:59 PM
I like Gilmore alot because of his versatility and being an athlete (has been used on offense) but looking over all that i have to go with Minnifield. He's been pretty damn good, Hosley and Rhodes are both up there.

Im not real high on Kirkpatrick, but not saying my evaluations are better or even on par with anyone elses, just my opinion.

tjsunstein
08-18-2011, 11:37 PM
I don't trust Rhodes' coverage at the next level.

Ozzy
08-19-2011, 07:32 AM
In terms of flat out ability Stephon Gilmore is the #1 corner by far. But last year he had a down year, and was not the playmaker he should be. If he improves his on the field play I think he could be the first corner taken.

If he has an average year like last year, I agree Rhodes is a flat out stud and could be one of the most talented corners in the country. So fluid in coverage, and Kirkpatrick is talented as well but needs to improve his toughness and tackling I feel.

Why no one is talking about Donnie Fletcher from Boston College I have no idea! The kid can play and is one heck of a tackling. Don't sleep on him, he should be in the top 10 for corners in the 2012 draft.
http://www.draftnasty.com/files/9212/9471/3499/4_Donnie_Fletcher_vs_15_Rishard_Matthews.jpg

steelcrew43
08-19-2011, 04:19 PM
Harris all day.

Prolly will be Kirkpatrick.

im pretty sure i heard harris runs like 4.7

princefielder28
08-19-2011, 04:30 PM

he's more of a 4.5 guy

thenewfeature06
08-20-2011, 09:11 AM

Lol if any corner runs a 4.7 they will be no good.

Edit-----Maybe 4.8..actually I feel like really good ball skill players could get away with running a 4.7.

I wonder what Woodson would run atm.

bigbenn
08-22-2011, 12:42 PM
Other. Terry Hawthorne. He will be a top 2-3 CB at minimum if he decides to come out. Watch Tavon Wilson (A senior) and Justin Green (A junior) as well. All 3 are high round NFL CB's at the very least, and all have 1st round potential. Hawthorne is the guy I'm betting will make that but after this season both Wilson and Green will have a lot of fans.

princefielder28
08-22-2011, 08:06 PM
Other. Terry Hawthorne. He will be a top 2-3 CB at minimum if he decides to come out. Watch Tavon Wilson (A senior) and Justin Green (A junior) as well. All 3 are high round NFL CB's at the very least, and all have 1st round potential. Hawthorne is the guy I'm betting will make that but after this season both Wilson and Green will have a lot of fans.

so a guy with limited experience (thus little production) and has a chronic foot issue making it hard for him to see the field on a consistent basis is going to skyrocket into the first round conversation? Odds are against it, sorry Illinois fan

Don Vito
08-22-2011, 08:34 PM
Donnie Fletcher is a beast. He will be a first round pick.

BuddyCHRIST
08-22-2011, 11:56 PM
I don't trust Rhodes' coverage at the next level.

What does this even mean? His cover ability is maybe his biggest strength.

Hopefully Rhodes doesn't declare, but I think he will be the best CB regardless of class. He's big, fast with great quickness and instincts for the ball. And he's only getting better as he only recently switched to corner.

K Train
08-23-2011, 08:30 AM
anyone else think hosley might be a little small to be a high pick?

AntoinCD
08-23-2011, 05:29 PM
My top 2 guys are Kirkpatrick and Gilmore, but I'm not sure on the order.

Kirkpatrick has NFL size and athleticism. Plus he played in a very complex NFL style defense.

Gilmore is a thoroughbred, plain and simple. Like Kirkpatrick he has elite NFL size but is a far better athlete. He is actually a better athlete than CB at the moment but a team with a chance at getting a 6 foot plus CB with his agility and ball skills will pounce on him early.

A lot of the times teams will take the big, athlete at CB over solid coverage guys who are a few inches shorter. Both Kirkpatrick and Gilmore are potential #1 CBs in the NFL who can play both man coverage or zone.

Unbiased
08-23-2011, 05:57 PM
Kirkpatrick is not impressive to me on tape. Gilmore may not be quite as tall or quite as fast, but he's a gamer who knows how to play the position.

But of course, someone could reach for Kirkpatrick making him the first CB taken, but I can't make a prediction like that yet.

HakeemtheMachine
08-23-2011, 06:24 PM
Hosley to me is the most impressive but he doesnt fit everyone.

check ut my Youtube page got vids of all these guys up

SEC http://www.youtube.com/user/JPDraftJedi
http://www.youtube.com/user/Jmpasq

TACKLE
08-23-2011, 06:56 PM
Do people actually think Kirkpatrick is that good based off his play or are people just assuming he's good because he was a very highly rated recruit who plays for Nick Saban. I get the feeling it's much more of the latter.

mario
08-23-2011, 07:05 PM
Do people actually think Kirkpatrick is that good based off his play or are people just assuming he's good because he was a very highly rated recruit who plays for Nick Saban. I get the feeling it's much more of the latter.
From an Alabama fan: Yes.

shylo3716
08-23-2011, 08:07 PM
Since it's very obvious that Oakland needs a replacement for Nnamdi, which CB is most likely the pick for the Raiders?

HakeemtheMachine
08-24-2011, 08:17 AM

I think there assuming he will grow into that player based on flashes but mostly on the recruting status.

I think the same thing about Donte Paige Moss.

princefielder28
08-24-2011, 09:21 AM
Since it's very obvious that Oakland needs a replacement for Nnamdi, which CB is most likely the pick for the Raiders?

I think Asa Jackson of Cal Poly is one of the few cornerbacks that will stick out to Al with his straight line speed but obviously they wouldn't take him in round one

K Train
08-24-2011, 09:33 AM
Kirkpatrick has NFL size and athleticism. Plus he played in a very complex NFL style defense.

hasnt really helped kareem jackson so far

BamaFalcon59
08-24-2011, 10:03 AM
Dre Kirk or Gilmore will be first, Hosley will be the best :)

TheFinisher
08-24-2011, 11:35 AM
Gilmore has been NFL ready since the day he stepped on the field at SCAR, he's the total package and unlike Kirkpatrick he actually makes plays on the field.

My 2nd favorite CB is a toss up between Harris and Hosley. They're both on the smaller side but you can't deny their playmaking ability. Harris might get the edge because of his kick return ability.

Haven't really seen enough of Minnifield or Dennard, but a lot of people on these boards seem to like them.

Ozzy
08-26-2011, 07:51 AM
Morris Claiborne could be in the mix, but I bet he would be drafted higher in 2013 potentially.

As for Kirkpatrick the #1 guy right now, that is all on potential, because is it just me or is his tackling and toughness a major question. If you compare the tackling ability of Claiborne and him, it is not even close who is better and most physical. Hopefully for Bama Kirkpatrick has improved his overall toughness and ability to tackle on a consistent basis. Supposedly he got Bama's most improved player award during this spring, so that is a good sign, and with Saban no doubt it is for improved tackling I bet. His coverage was never the real issue.

bigbenn
09-02-2011, 02:35 PM
so a guy with limited experience (thus little production) and has a chronic foot issue making it hard for him to see the field on a consistent basis is going to skyrocket into the first round conversation? Odds are against it, sorry Illinois fan

You will see very soon. And don't forget Tavon Wilson or Justin Green. Remember, last year nobody was really high on Liuget in the beginning and look where he is now (Going to be a dominant NFL DL, one of the very best).

BamaFalcon59
09-03-2011, 11:39 PM
Gilmore got mossed at least twice today against East Carolina. VT plays them next week, we'll see how Hosley fairs.

TACKLE
09-04-2011, 12:46 AM
Claiborne looked very solid today.

M.O.T.H.
09-04-2011, 02:22 AM
Gilmore has been NFL ready since the day he stepped on the field at SCAR, he's the total package and unlike Kirkpatrick he actually makes plays on the field.

My 2nd favorite CB is a toss up between Harris and Hosley. They're both on the smaller side but you can't deny their playmaking ability. Harris might get the edge because of his kick return ability.

Haven't really seen enough of Minnifield or Dennard, but a lot of people on these boards seem to like them.

I actually do believe this...I've said it myself, many times. But as far as draft stock goes, he's kind of living off of his excellent Freshman campaign at this point. Like I said in that other thread, he did struggle last year. He wasnt a stranger to getting burned, either. And he starts this season with an up and down performance against ECU. Which actually saw him getting bent over by Lance Lewis. He's got an excellent skill set, but there is still a lot that he can sure up.

He's still a 1st/2nd round pick...and potentially very high in the 1st. But he still has a lot to prove, production wise. There's no denying his talent, but he can be inconsistent.

M.O.T.H.
Double post.

M.O.T.H.
Triple post.

TheFinisher
09-04-2011, 10:15 AM
Claiborne looked very solid today.

Yea I don't know why he wasn't included in this poll, he could easily be the 1st CB taken.

BamaFalcon59
09-04-2011, 05:25 PM
Jayron also had three punt returns for a little over 90 yards.

BamaFalcon59
09-18-2011, 10:57 AM
Hosley picked up his first two interceptions of the season yesterday. Had one called back for a bogus call in week two.

He has absolutely dominate the opposing teams' number one receiver thus far this season.

He's been lights-out.

In fact, our defense as a whole has dominated. Expect Kyle Fuller to be the next highly drafted CB out of VT after Hosley. Thus far this season, the true sophomore has 13 tackles (5.5 TFL), 1.5 sacks, 9 pass deflections, and and interception.

Has some BFlowers in him.

The VT defense as a whole is scary. Only one senior on the defense. Hosley will leave as well. That still means 9 starters on a top 10 (at the least...) defense will return.

Expect to hear a lot about James Gayle (6'5" 260 DE), Bruce Taylor (6'1" 240 MLB), Fuller (5'11" 190 CB) and Exum (6'0" 220 FS) as far as the draft is concerned in the future.

bucfan12
09-19-2011, 07:28 PM
Janoris Jenkins is the best CB of the senior class and better than most juniors.

He's had his problems with the legal system (weed), but I like the fact he stayed in school instead of running off the the NFL supplemental draft. Maybe the dismissal from the Florida team was a wake up call for Jenkins.

D-Unit
09-19-2011, 08:18 PM
Yea I don't know why he wasn't included in this poll, he could easily be the 1st CB taken.
My sole vote in the "Other" category was given to Claiborne. He's a Rob Ryan type corner who is physical, yet sounds and can be sent to blitz. That's partly why I wanted to give him the early love. I like him for the Boys.

Glad more people are mentioning him. I was wondering if I made too much of a mistake by naming him.

BamaFalcon59
09-19-2011, 08:26 PM
Janoris Jenkins is the best CB of the senior class and better than most juniors.

He's had his problems with the legal system (weed), but I like the fact he stayed in school instead of running off the the NFL supplemental draft. Maybe the dismissal from the Florida team was a wake up call for Jenkins.

You know, besides UNA being the transfer capital of the world for pothead football transfers.

Florence. They just smoke.

shylo3716
09-19-2011, 08:28 PM
I would not be surprised if Jenkins is the #2 CB taken off the board behind Kirkpatrick

BamaFalcon59
09-19-2011, 08:28 PM
Y'all ain't even ready for Hosley.

Asante!

D-Unit
09-19-2011, 08:37 PM
I would not be surprised if Jenkins is the #2 CB taken off the board behind Rhodes.
Fixed it for you.

shylo3716
09-19-2011, 08:57 PM
Fixed it for you.

Indeed! But if Rhodes does not come out it will be Kirkpatrick unfortunately :'/

As you can see in the poll I am all for Rhodes being the #1 guy.

bucfan12
09-20-2011, 07:10 AM
Yeah Rhodes is probably, talent and potential wise, the top CB prospect, but he will not declare. He is a redshirt Sophomore, so I think he'll play a 3rd year.

Jenkins is possibly number 2, in my opinion.

bigbenn
09-23-2011, 08:31 PM
Bump. Like I said people need to watch Hawthorne. He had a great game against ASU and the best is yet to come as he has big matchups ahead with Toon, Posey and other very good B10 WR's.

JaxJag_1
09-23-2011, 09:31 PM
My favorite CBs are Dennard and Morris Claiborne. Whether either one of them goes over Dre Kirkpatrick, I doubt it.

shylo3716
09-24-2011, 10:50 PM
I'm officially on the Morris Claiborne wagon after 99 yards of excitement!

tjsunstein
09-26-2011, 03:50 PM
LSU's defensive backs are scary and both corners will be stars at the next level.

I'm going with Claiborne at this point of the season as the first off the board, and Tyrann Mathieu will be a first when he declares. I had him pegged as one of my breakout stars of this season but I honestly can say I didn't expect what he has done. He makes plays in every game.

shylo3716
09-26-2011, 07:03 PM
LSU's defensive backs are scary and both corners will be stars at the next level.

I'm going with Claiborne at this point of the season as the first off the board, and Tyrann Mathieu will be a first when he declares. I had him pegged as one of my breakout stars of this season but I honestly can say I didn't expect what he has done. He makes plays in every game.

I'm still hoping to be the 1st to Mock him there after week 4 of the NFL schedule.

D-Unit
10-25-2011, 02:23 PM
Morris Claiborne, CB LSU

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0810/ncf_a_MorrisClaiborne_cmg_300.jpg

A lot of the times I was watching LSU last year, I got confused thinking Claiborne was Peterson. Watch out... he's a baller.
I know this was taken back in August, but do you think Claiborne can get more than 1 vote from the "Other" category now? :D

RaiderNation
10-25-2011, 03:01 PM
Claiborne is by far my #1 CB, and could turn out to be the top defensive player in this draft. Kirkpatrick is another top CB prospect that could be drafted in the 10-15 area.

onejayhawk
10-25-2011, 07:14 PM
Gotta go with Dre at this point. The real question is, who is the second CB? The rest of the poll is flat as a table.

J

JBCX
10-25-2011, 07:20 PM
What happened to Jayron Hosely everyone was talking about?

Ozzy
10-25-2011, 08:13 PM
I change my vote to Morris Claiborne, and so should everyone else ;o)

rawdawg
10-25-2011, 09:10 PM
I change my vote to Morris Claiborne, and so should everyone else ;o)

Seconded. In fact, I think everyone should just assume a CB from LSU is the #1 CB in every draft from here on out.

Peterson
Claiborne
Matthieu

Razor
10-26-2011, 11:08 AM
I think that this has already been discussed, but there's no way that Matthieu will be the first CB taken in any draft. He's just to short to be considered an elite player in a pre-draft evaluation. The kid is a baller, and will be a day one or day two pick. But the first CB of the board? I really doubt that. He should fall into the lap of Bill Belichick and the New England Patriots. :)

Cardinal96
10-27-2011, 11:01 AM
Morris Claiborne gets my vote.

shylo3716
10-27-2011, 07:54 PM
Mo Claiborne = Other for this forum