PDA

View Full Version : Was it right for Goodell to suspend Pryor?

bucfan12
08-18-2011, 03:03 PM
He made him elligible, but claimed he dishonored what the supplemental draft is? I mean, if you get booted/suspended for the entire NCAA football season, your senior year, why not enter the supplemental draft. I bet if Robert Quinn and Marviin Austin knew they would be suspended the whole year back in June, 2010, they would have done the same thing.

I still don't think it's right he should be suspended 5 games. Even though he won't acutally see the field, he can't practice or attend the games either.

As much as I dislike Pryor's attitude and personal character, I still think Goodell is a terrible commisioner and doesn't know how to handle these types of situations.

Thoughts?

vidae
08-18-2011, 03:04 PM
I don't think it's right that a player can get in trouble in college and use the draft/NFL as a way to dodge his punishment.

V.I.P
08-18-2011, 03:05 PM
I don't think it's right that a player can get in trouble in college and use the draft/NFL as a way to dodge his punishment.

This.

/thread

Splat
08-18-2011, 03:06 PM
It's not like he was going to play in those five games any way he is sitting regardless.

CC.SD
08-18-2011, 03:08 PM
The NCAA is so ****** up right now. Is it a business? Then fine, punishments can carry over to the NFL. But if they are serious about pretending to be amateurs, this suspension makes no sense. Not like it matters, he will be on the bench forever anyways.

Raiderz4Life
08-18-2011, 03:10 PM
I think its completely stupid. I guess I can kinda see it though, you know the kid won't play much if at all those 5 games, and this way you sort of save face because you sided with the NCAA and punished him.

Still think its stupid and I agree with vidae(eeww)

bucfan12
08-18-2011, 03:17 PM
I think its completely stupid. I guess I can kinda see it though, you know the kid won't play much if at all those 5 games, and this way you sort of save face because you sided with the NCAA and punished him.

Yeah, but the point is, he loses practice time and experience of learning on the sidelines for 5 games. I believe when your suspended, you can;t practice nor attend games until it's over.

I can't wait to see if Goodell tries to suspend players that got into trouble over the lockout. I remember reading an article 2 months agao saying from the NFL PA that they can't violate a conduct policy if they are unemployed and there is no CBA in place. At that time these guys got into trouble, they technically didn't violate any conduct policy and said if he tried that, the NFL PA has the right ot appeal/sue.

Lets see how this moron handles that.

vidae
08-18-2011, 03:18 PM

Just admit it, you love me.

bucfan12
08-18-2011, 03:18 PM
Goodell has turned this league into a bunch of crap. I mean, kickoffs from the 35 yard line? I think thats High School football rules right?

vidae
08-18-2011, 03:21 PM
I don't think you can solely blame Gooddell for the 35 yard line rule, but people want to crucify him for everything so go ahead.

bucfan12
08-18-2011, 03:24 PM
I don't think you can solely blame Gooddell for the 35 yard line rule, but people want to crucify him for everything so go ahead.

Well, agree/disagree: If the hit Suh put on Andy Dalton, ever happened to Tom Brady or Peyton Manning, do you think he'd suffer the same or a worse penalty than $20K fine?

He's a hypocrite.

bantx
08-18-2011, 03:26 PM
hey now that its on the 35 Kaeding might actually get some touchbacks...doubt it though

Raiderz4Life
08-18-2011, 03:29 PM
Just admit it, you love me.
NEVER!! Least not publicly....

The kick off deal should be put more on Polian's shoulders I think because he pushed for the rule.

Shane P. Hallam
08-18-2011, 03:34 PM
The official reasoning from the NFL is that Pryor is getting suspended for not having his situation change and applying for supplemental draft, not for NCAA violations. So, they are trying to avoid setting a precedent I guess.

yo123
08-18-2011, 03:42 PM
Personally I don't think an NCAA suspension should be of any concern to the NFL, but it's not like it will make any difference in the long run.

WMD
08-18-2011, 03:42 PM
The NFL shouldn't be able to suspend someone when they aren't even in the league..

fear the elf
08-18-2011, 04:04 PM
The NFL shouldn't be able to suspend someone when they aren't even in the league..

Do you mean for things they do when they aren't in the league? Because he can avoid the suspension by not joining the league . . .

/smartass

PackerLegend
08-18-2011, 04:42 PM
Its pretty stupid... He is not a member of the NFL yet and already he is suspended for something he isnt in.

Anyways it doesnt matter because he wasnt going to play in those games no matter what.

BigBanger
08-18-2011, 04:43 PM
Pryor has no NFL future as a QB. He needs a reality check like a lot of these big time High School players that are treated like Pros in college. That's the first thing that makes this a worthless story. He will be a nobody.

It's not Pryor's right to play in the NFL. The NFL is a business. If I did something in college, and it was brought up in my job interview, and I didn't get hired, I wouldn't expect to be hired. If there were reasonable grounds for a business not wanting to hire me and they didn't, oh well, that's life. It's called accountability and responsibility. You learn to learn it.

This is the only thing I like about Roger. He tries to make immature men who think they're owed everything and give them a slice of humble pie. Suspend him. Why not? Because he did this in college? Is that like the same rule as cheating on your girlfriend? As long as you do it in a different state, then it doesn't count? He tried to skip out on his punishment. Make him learn a lesson.

Do I like to see Big Ben out for 4 games? No, but there comes a point in your life where you say to yourself, "I'm going to stop putting myself in a position for women to cry rape." Pulling a girl into a bathroom at a club and having a guard wait out front while you bang her. Probably not the best idea. Maybe the multiple allegations will finally make him learn how to handle fame. Maybe the suspension will make him realize that he's that close to losing his job. If you don't discipline someone, then they'll never know they did something wrong. They'll never realize what they have, and what they stand to lose.

SolidGold
08-18-2011, 05:35 PM
Pryor has no NFL future as a QB. He needs a reality check like a lot of these big time High School players that are treated like Pros in college. That's the first thing that makes this a worthless story. He will be a nobody.

It's not Pryor's right to play in the NFL. The NFL is a business. If I did something in college, and it was brought up in my job interview, and I didn't get hired, I wouldn't expect to be hired. If there were reasonable grounds for a business not wanting to hire me and they didn't, oh well, that's life. It's called accountability and responsibility. You learn to learn it.

This is the only thing I like about Roger. He tries to make immature men who think they're owed everything and give them a slice of humble pie. Suspend him. Why not? Because he did this in college? Is that like the same rule as cheating on your girlfriend? As long as you do it in a different state, then it doesn't count? He tried to skip out on his punishment. Make him learn a lesson.

Do I like to see Big Ben out for 4 games? No, but there comes a point in your life where you say to yourself, "I'm going to stop putting myself in a position for women to cry rape." Pulling a girl into a bathroom at a club and having a guard wait out front while you bang her. Probably not the best idea. Maybe the multiple allegations will finally make him learn how to handle fame. Maybe the suspension will make him realize that he's that close to losing his job. If you don't discipline someone, then they'll never know they did something wrong. They'll never realize what they have, and what they stand to lose.

Couldn't agree more with this. Goodell is basically HR for the NFL.

ElectricEye
08-18-2011, 05:48 PM
The NCAA is so ****** up right now. Is it a business? Then fine, punishments can carry over to the NFL. But if they are serious about pretending to be amateurs, this suspension makes no sense. Not like it matters, he will be on the bench forever anyways.

This is pretty much my view here as well....even though I think that even if the NCAA dropped the charade it shouldn't have **** to do with the NFL.

Pryor's not a very good player or a good person, but still, this doesn't make any sense.

keylime_5
08-18-2011, 06:13 PM
so a guy being kicked off the team is okay to go to the supplemental draft with no suspension, but a guy who was only suspended 5 games and not kicked off the team is worse? this makes no sense. Pryor was gonna be ineligible for the entire 2011 season, that is why he left school. If he was only gonna be suspended for 5 games he probably would've stayed in school. If Tressel didn't get fired he would've anyway. The whole Pryor is eligible with a suspension nonsense doesn't fall in line with past troubled players who've gone in the supplemental draft.

Raiderz4Life
08-18-2011, 06:15 PM
Iirc he got suspended after he declared

ElectricEye
08-18-2011, 06:24 PM
so a guy being kicked off the team is okay to go to the supplemental draft with no suspension, but a guy who was only suspended 5 games and not kicked off the team is worse? this makes no sense. Pryor was gonna be ineligible for the entire 2011 season, that is why he left school. If he was only gonna be suspended for 5 games he probably would've stayed in school. If Tressel didn't get fired he would've anyway. The whole Pryor is eligible with a suspension nonsense doesn't fall in line with past troubled players who've gone in the supplemental draft.

I really don't understand it either. As far as the NFL should be concerned, he decided he didn't want to be in college anymore in time for the supplemental draft. Anything else just shouldn't be relevant. The rules even state that the supplemental draft is intended for players that either changed their mind and didn't get their paperwork in by the deadline or for issues that developed with college eligibility. Harvey Unga decided to leave BYU last year after the deadline on his own volition before being kicked out and was allowed in without an issue or a suspension. I really think if this was any school other than Ohio State or a team that didn't play in a nationally televised BCS Bowl game last year this wouldn't have been anywhere near as drawn out of a process or as big of a deal.

jrdrylie
08-18-2011, 08:37 PM
The official reasoning from the NFL is that Pryor is getting suspended for not having his situation change and applying for supplemental draft, not for NCAA violations. So, they are trying to avoid setting a precedent I guess.

If he didn't have a situation change, they shouldn't have let him in the draft. Either don't let him in the draft or say the real reason they are suspending him. Goodell's suspension excuse was basically "Hey, we let you break the rule but we're going to suspend you for it even though we said you could break it."

nobodyinparticular
08-19-2011, 12:06 AM
Wow. This has been burning me up all day.

Is it just for Pryor to be able to skip out on the NCAA right when he was supposed to take a punishment from them? Not in the least bit. Pryor absolutely broke the rules, and he should have been punished for it. He deserved the 5 game suspension he received from the NCAA. Well, he deserved to be suspended for the bowl game, so in essence the NCAA can only blame themselves for allowing the punishment to carry over the offseason when they had the ability to hand down a punishment immediately. To a large extent, the NCAA created this problem because they showed Pryor preferential treatment to begin with.

However, there is no way the NFL should be exacting this suspension on Pryor when this is the NCAA's problem. This suspension is nothing short of collusion on the part of the two largest, most influential football leagues in the world.

For comparison, imagine if you received a punishment working for Apple, but decided you didn't want to stick around to serve out that punishment. So you head to Microsoft, but they say they will only negotiate a job with you if you complete your full punishment with them. You think that would stand in the courts?

Where does this stop? Is Goodell forming a committee to discuss the punishment for Pete Carroll or Reggie Bush for their improprieties at USC? How about figuring out what to do with the hordes of U of Miami players who likely took improper benefits? After all, isn't that the job of the NFL? To punish those players for NCAA infractions when the NCAA is unable to do so?

Oh wait, that's not what the NFL is supposed to do? So then why the hell is Pryor suspended for 5 games this coming NFL season?

Thecollegedropout
08-19-2011, 12:42 AM

The problem is he is inconsistent with this. Pete Carroll bolts a sinking ship in USC and takes the job of Seattle. Where was this punishment? Marvin Austin and Robert Quinn messed up similarly like Prior and sat out but weren't reprehended by the NFL. Bobby Petrino bolts from Atlanta to Arkansas and does it under no one's notice and Goodell just whistles along like its nothing.

Pryor is losing money and the right to go back to Ohio St and to be apart of the combines and that should be enough of a punishment. The NFL now putting this slap on him a few days prior to the Supp. Draft is a great way to scare off teams from taking him, especially when he won't be allowed to practice with teammates and to build chemistry on a team. Its a joke.

Regardless of if Pryor will be a good NFL player or not, its a joke to suddenly bring up his past NCAA violation against him when applying for an NFL job. Pryor will have missed out on a valuable 2 weeks of preseason time and the 2 or so weeks of training camp and will sign for chump change basically, adding this stupid suspension does absolutely nothing.

Thecollegedropout
08-19-2011, 12:49 AM
The only good that will come out of this for Pryor is that he will be viewed as a victim and will have a fanbase who will be in support of him for this, which I don't think is necessarily right since he did a stupid offense in the 1st place.

Maybe Goodell and the NFL are somehow trying to portray Pryor as a victim rather than an offender to try and build his persona as a possible star/money maker for the league down the road....but why should I even bother reading Goodell's mind at this point.

vidae
08-19-2011, 01:47 AM
Wow. This has been burning me up all day.

Is it just for Pryor to be able to skip out on the NCAA right when he was supposed to take a punishment from them? Not in the least bit. Pryor absolutely broke the rules, and he should have been punished for it. He deserved the 5 game suspension he received from the NCAA. Well, he deserved to be suspended for the bowl game, so in essence the NCAA can only blame themselves for allowing the punishment to carry over the offseason when they had the ability to hand down a punishment immediately. To a large extent, the NCAA created this problem because they showed Pryor preferential treatment to begin with.

However, there is no way the NFL should be exacting this suspension on Pryor when this is the NCAA's problem. This suspension is nothing short of collusion on the part of the two largest, most influential football leagues in the world.

For comparison, imagine if you received a punishment working for Apple, but decided you didn't want to stick around to serve out that punishment. So you head to Microsoft, but they say they will only negotiate a job with you if you complete your full punishment with them. You think that would stand in the courts?

Where does this stop? Is Goodell forming a committee to discuss the punishment for Pete Carroll or Reggie Bush for their improprieties at USC? How about figuring out what to do with the hordes of U of Miami players who likely took improper benefits? After all, isn't that the job of the NFL? To punish those players for NCAA infractions when the NCAA is unable to do so?

Oh wait, that's not what the NFL is supposed to do? So then why the hell is Pryor suspended for 5 games this coming NFL season?

I have no problems at all with Reggie Bush/Pete Carrol/The U players not having a punishment handed down. There is a key difference here.. they were caught after they were in the NFL, and it seemed like Pryor is declaring to GET OUT OF PUNISHMENT.

That is a big difference. I don't think the Supplemental Draft or the NFL Draft itself should be used to escape an existing punishment from the NCAA. It just rubs me the wrong way.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about his reasons for declaring as I haven't seen OSU football (because who in their right mind would want to watch that?) but I don't know. I just don't like it.

nobodyinparticular
08-19-2011, 02:07 AM
I have no problems at all with Reggie Bush/Pete Carrol/The U players not having a punishment handed down. There is a key difference here.. they were caught after they were in the NFL, and it seemed like Pryor is declaring to GET OUT OF PUNISHMENT.

That is a big difference. I don't think the Supplemental Draft or the NFL Draft itself should be used to escape an existing punishment from the NCAA. It just rubs me the wrong way.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about his reasons for declaring as I haven't seen OSU football (because who in their right mind would want to watch that?) but I don't know. I just don't like it.

As I stated in my very first sentence, I don't feel it is "just" or "right" for Pryor to be able to split and skip put of his punishment. He absolutely deserves a punishment. But from the NCAA, not the NFL. In my mind it isn't just for the NFL to be able to hand down a punishment for a crime committed against another entity. This blurs the lines far too much in my opinion. The NFL and NCAA need to remain separate entities or formally an agreement as a minor league system.

As an employee of a financial institution, if I get in trouble at work and get stuck processing ATM deposits for the next week, it is well within my rights to choose not to show up the following day and turn in my keys. It is not at all right for me to then go to work for Wells Fargo only to have my former boss tell my new boss they have to make me process the ATM for the first week in my new job.

This type of interaction is collusion.

BigBanger
08-19-2011, 09:22 AM
He absolutely deserves a punishment. But from the NCAA, not the NFL.
He has no ties to NCAA anymore. They can't punish him. So the NFL did.

I don't know if it's right that the NFL is doing this, but at the same time, I just don't care. I know that I don't mind seeing people get punished for doing things, knowingly and intentionally, that violates laws or rules of an institution. Your response sounded like you were saying, "Poor Terrell."

The problem is he is inconsistent with this. Pete Carroll bolts a sinking ship in USC and takes the job of Seattle. Where was this punishment? Marvin Austin and Robert Quinn messed up similarly like Prior and sat out but weren't reprehended by the NFL.
These kind of responses sound like finger pointing that attempts to remove Pryor from the conversation. "Well everyone else is doing it." But I will address the uninvolved, completely different players / scenarios that you brought up.

Pete Carroll is a coward. I just had to say it. The NCAA punished the school, which is almost the same thing as punishing him. If he stayed he probably would have resigned. Could the NFL have tried to suspend him? Maybe, but they didn't.

Austin and Quinn were suspended for a year. That is punishment. Pryor had none. Pryor should have been suspended for a Bowl game, but since he was a marketable figure, the NCAA put the suspension off, let him play and then attempted to carry this punishment out in 2012. Basically, the NCAA tried to shove this under the rug. They didn't do that with Quinn and Austin. You're talking about double jeopardy with those guys. All these scenarios are different. These guys either faced punishment, or in the instance of the head coach, they went after the school, and punishment was levied down by the NCAA. Pryor broke rules, lied about them and then left the NCAA before being punished. Very different from any of the aforementioned people.

descendency
08-19-2011, 09:24 AM
The NFL has to protect itself from people doing whatever they want in college and then bolting to the NFL.

It's bad for the image of the game.

Nalej
08-19-2011, 09:33 AM
Aren't all the players in the supp draft dodging ineligibility/suspensions?

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
08-19-2011, 09:42 AM

Isn't this the point of a Supplemental Draft? Caleb King -- kicked out of school, goes to supplemental draft. What's the difference? Terrelle Pryor -- banned from campus apparently, but it's not okay for him to go to the supplemental draft?

ElectricEye
08-19-2011, 10:46 AM
The NFL has to protect itself from people doing whatever they want in college and then bolting to the NFL.

It's bad for the image of the game.

Again, what did Pryor do that was against the law that the NFL should be concerned with? Not respecting the NCAA's antiquated, self serving definition of amateurism isn't exactly something that should concern anyone perception wise other than GM's evaluating his character and Ohio State fans. If he was suspended for some criminal action, I could get the league being concerned with it, but that was not the case.

JoeJoeBrown
08-19-2011, 11:03 AM
Again, what did Pryor do that was against the law that the NFL should be concerned with? Not respecting the NCAA's antiquated, self serving definition of amateurism isn't exactly something that should concern anyone perception wise other than GM's evaluating his character and Ohio State fans. If he was suspended for some criminal action, I could get the league being concerned with it, but that was not the case.

Well stated, sir!

vidae
08-19-2011, 11:36 AM
Isn't this the point of a Supplemental Draft? Caleb King -- kicked out of school, goes to supplemental draft. What's the difference? Terrelle Pryor -- banned from campus apparently, but it's not okay for him to go to the supplemental draft?

The difference in this case is that Caleb King was PUNISHED - he was kicked out of school - and Pryor hadn't been punished YET as he found a loophole to avoid it.

killxswitch
08-19-2011, 12:26 PM
Between this and Goodell steering Vick toward the Eagles (and away from two "bad situation" teams) I am a little pissed at him, sure. At least he can't single-handedly assign punishments and then be the one to judge the appeal.

YAYareaRB
08-19-2011, 12:31 PM

dont forget coaches too

my opinion. pay to play would solve all these problems. **** goodell and **** the ncaa

descendency
08-19-2011, 01:13 PM

I don't think the league is making exceptions, because once you start making exceptions, you get in a ton of trouble.

dont forget coaches too

Yeah, Pete Carroll should have been dealt with too.

ElectricEye
08-19-2011, 01:25 PM
The difference in this case is that Caleb King was PUNISHED - he was kicked out of school - and Pryor hadn't been punished YET as he found a loophole to avoid it.

I've still yet to see one person explain to me why that matters despite it being repeated ad nauseum. I don't see how he is ineligible to get into the supplemental draft because of some bizarre order of operations thing. Multiple supplemental draft entrants have left school on their own volition before and been allowed in. The NFL has no obligation to extract a pound of flesh from Pryor for the NCAA.

Whitlock is a tool, but he actually has a good take on this;

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/roger-goodell-crossing-the-line-again-with-terrelle-pryor-decision-081911

vidae
08-19-2011, 04:07 PM
I really have no dog in this fight either way, I was merely pointing out that I don't like that any prospect (or coach) can just bounce away from his responsibility or a punishment so easily.

This part, however, is downright hilarious. It's at the top of his page:

Jason Whitlock writes about the sports world from every angle, including those other writers can't imagine or muster courage to address. His columns are humorous, thought-provoking, agenda-free, honest and unpredictable.

Really? :D

TitanHope
08-20-2011, 12:40 AM
The NFL is punishing a player for something that he did when said player had zero affiliation with the NFL. I have a huge problem with that. I certainly don't feel sorry for Pryor. As far as I'm concerned, this a victimless crime.

But the NFL is a separate entity apart from the NCAA, and by suspending Pryor for the amount of time he dodged from his NCAA/OSU punishment, it looks like the NFL decided to partake in vigilante justice on the NCAA's behalf and decided to punish a guy before he was even a part of their league.

And yes, I do think this sets a precedent, unlike what the NFL is saying. Players now have a permanent record that the NFL can look at when the player is entering the NFL. If a player has a mark and wasn't punished enough, or even if they have a history of failed drug tests, DUI's, arrests, or whatever, can the NFL now make up the difference or for the guys who have a history, can they skip the lesser "first offense" punishment and skip to a more severe punishment considering the player is a repeat offender from something he did in college? This may be getting extreme, but in reality, I can totally see a case where a high profile player with a very sketchy history comes to the NFL, and after the first time the player repeats a past mistake, the NFL punishes him with a harsher than normal punishment that a lesser profile player with a clean history wouldn't have gotten, whether to send a message, make a stand on integrity, or whatever.