PDA

View Full Version : Jayron Hosley, CB, Virginia Tech

shylo3716
08-18-2011, 07:33 PM
Last season Hosley was by far the best CB prospect to slide up the radars heading into the 2012 Draft class. In 2010 he racked up on 39 tackles 34 solo with 9 interceptions on 110 yds. If you ask me that season he had was an Asante Samuel type season the way he played, because both players are known for being zone corners. As of right now you can make a case that Hosley is the #2 CB depending on who you ask, but come April of next year I can expect him to come off the board very quickly.

http://media.hamptonroads.com/cache/files/images/572561000.jpg

tjsunstein
08-18-2011, 07:45 PM
It's going to be interesting to see where he comes off the board. I think he'll have a big impact at the next level. He's very instinctual, and I think he's the most pro ready. Where he gets picked completely depends on the draft order, I know it may sound dumb but he would strive more in a zone than any other CB. Could be first or 5th CB taken, I like him closer to 1st.

shylo3716
08-18-2011, 07:50 PM
I can really see Al Davis going after this guy since Nnamdi is gone.

Razor
08-18-2011, 08:01 PM

How? Hosley isn't going to wow you with his forty and he's a zone corner. Raiders play man...

shylo3716
08-18-2011, 08:14 PM
How? Hosley isn't going to wow you with his forty and he's a zone corner. Raiders play man...

I was basing that off how the mocks been going on the forum with power rankings and how he is rated as a CB prospect. You don't think Hosley could convert over and play some FS? BTW isn't Huff's contract going to be up soon?

tjsunstein
08-18-2011, 08:18 PM
I was basing that off how the mocks been going on the forum with power rankins and how he is rated as a CB prospect. You don't think Hosley could convert over and play some FS? BTW isn't Huff's contract goint to be up soon?
Huff just re-upped.

Pat Sims 90
08-18-2011, 08:18 PM
I was basing that off how the mocks been going on the forum with power rankings and how he is rated as a CB prospect. You don't think Hosley could convert over and play some FS? BTW isn't Huff's contract going to be up soon?

They just re-signed Huff.

shylo3716
08-18-2011, 08:26 PM
Ideal landing spots for Hosley in the Top 15 who needs a "zone" CB?

Pat Sims 90
08-19-2011, 12:06 AM
Tampa Bay would be a good landing spot for him.

RaiderNation
08-19-2011, 01:55 AM
If Oakland goes CB in the first it will be Kirkpatrick or Gilmore

BamaFalcon59
08-23-2011, 01:32 PM
Yeah, I would compare him to Samuel.

Amazing ball skills and instincts, not amazing in run support but not afraid and can deliver the big hit. Needs to pack on some weight. His forty won't be amazing but he's not slow and has absolutely outstanding quickness.

FWIW Hosley will be playing a lot more man coverage this season, as he'll be the main guy at VT's boundary CB position, which is the more difficult CB spot in VT's defense and requires more man coverage.

ellsy82
08-23-2011, 02:56 PM
He's small isn't he? Sub 5'9"? Will be a mismatch against bigger WRs at the next level.

BamaFalcon59
08-23-2011, 06:42 PM
He's been listed at 5'10" and 5'11". But who knows.

keylime_5
08-23-2011, 06:45 PM

eh, I doubt that Al Davis will draft a cornerback who doesn't run 4.4 or better.

Ozzy
08-25-2011, 07:02 AM
Yeah I question Hosley and his tackling ability. Love his coverage skills and speed, but can he tackle at all, and yes he is very small for a corner in terms of just flat out weight.

Will be interesting, I would not be shocked if Kirkpatrick drops a little as well, he is a poor tackler, at least he was last year in my opinion, but he has size and should improve it. Hosley might not have the power or strength to tackle consistently in the NFL. Jamar Fletcher was sick in coverage, but he too was small and had tackling issues.

Deion is the exception where it was not a big deal, but with him his return ability was almost just as important, and maybe Hosley will be like that too.

BigBanger
08-25-2011, 01:54 PM
Great talent and ability, but I see him as a bit of a tweener. He has the ball skills, range and catching ability of a top end free safety. I still question his tackling ability, and when you move a CB to safety, the guy better be able to tackle. With that said he has great patience in off coverage and he has excellent feet. To me, with how deep he plays, safety looks like his natural position. Great instincts.

shylo3716
08-25-2011, 05:09 PM
Great talent and ability, but I see him as a bit of a tweener. He has the ball skills, range and catching ability of a top end free safety. I still question his tackling ability, and when you move a CB to safety, the guy better be able to tackle. With that said he has great patience in off coverage and he has excellent feet. To me, with how deep he plays, safety looks like his natural position. Great instincts.

I see him getting converted over to FS also.

BamaFalcon59
08-25-2011, 11:06 PM
Hosley is definitely a corner.

BigBanger
08-26-2011, 03:29 AM
Hosley is definitely a corner.
Oh, I agree. He's the best CB they've had since Flowers. Probably more talented as well.

And since he's moving to the boundary corner, we'll see him more in press coverage this year. He has the footwork / smooth technique of a CB, no question, but his ball skills and confidence in deep zones ... it's pretty rare. Guy can close and cover a lot of ground. I haven't seen range and pursuit angles like that since Sean Taylor or Ed Reed. That's how impressive he was at times playing in those deep Cover 3 coverages. But like I said, his toughness and tackling up in the box against bigger, stronger running backs / tight ends ... that's a big projection. His strength and weight, we'll have to see what kind of frame he has, if he can add weight and strength and turn his already lanky CB frame into that of a FS. That's why I called him a bit of a tweener. His ballhawking skills are so impressive they'd look better at safety. But his CB frame may prohibit such a move. It may deter a team from moving him to safety if they think he has more potential there than at CB. I also didn't read any comments in this thread until just now. The guy is not a pure zone CB. That's just how VT used him last year. His technique shows that he has excellent man coverage skills. I don't know if he can jam, but the guy can play man coverage.

He's a better CB prospect than a lot of these other guys like Gilmore (He is vastly overrated and not going in the first round. He's been all hype and has nothing to show for it.) who have gotten more pub.

tjsunstein
08-26-2011, 07:13 AM
Hosley isn't getting converted. He's perfectly capable of playing CB in the NFL, in the right system. Just because his skill set matches up with the qualities of a safety, doesn't mean he can just flick a switch and make that change.

BigBanger
08-26-2011, 11:58 AM
Hosley isn't getting converted. He's perfectly capable of playing CB in the NFL, in the right system. Just because his skill set matches up with the qualities of a safety, doesn't mean he can just flick a switch and make that change.
What system is that?

Ozzy
08-30-2011, 05:36 PM
BigBanger Oh, I agree. He's the best CB they've had since Flowers. Probably more talented as well.What about his tackling ability, because no way is Hosley better at tackling than Brandon Flowers. What do you think of Hosley's tackling ability?

keylime_5
08-30-2011, 05:48 PM
you'll never see a 5-10/175 guy ever playing safety in the NFL these days. Small and slow doesn't cut it in the NFL. Now Hosley isn't slow, he's fast enough to play corner in the league, but he might not have the recovery speed or man coverage skills to fit in every system. One that has a lot of zone responsibility might be best for him.

tjsunstein
08-30-2011, 05:49 PM
What system is that?
He's cut out for zone and thrives in it, so any team that utilizes zone in their packages would be smart to grab him.

Big Bird
08-30-2011, 11:31 PM
What about his tackling ability, because no way is Hosley better at tackling than Brandon Flowers. What do you think of Hosley's tackling ability?
Did you read past that one snippet, or does your attention span not last that long?

You probably won't even read this second part, but he clearly stated that Hosley's tackling is a big problem as of now.

Ozzy
08-31-2011, 09:54 AM
Big Bird
Did you read past that one snippet, or does your attention span not last that long?

You probably won't even read this second part, but he clearly stated that Hosley's tackling is a big problem as of now.Hey when I see a statement like Hosley is the best corner you have seen since Flowers, I jump right on that. And sorry, I see you did say he has issues tackling, my bad.

So your idea is to move him to safety because of this? How is moving him to safety going to help his NFL career?

Like others have said his size would be a huge issue, and if he cannot well tackle great at corner, oh well, but you do not move him to safety because of that. He is and will be a corner, but next time one makes a comparison of Virgina Tech corners, try a smaller version of DeAngelo Hall, or a corner like Anthony Midget. Both ball hawk corners that played the pass well, and Hall especially being a special return guy as well like Hosley. Flowers physicality destroys the comparison instantly.

BamaFalcon59
08-31-2011, 10:16 AM
Hosley isn't like any corner VT has had in recent years.

And Flowers is the best CB in school history.

/Discussion.

Big Bird
08-31-2011, 10:26 AM
Hey when I see a statement like Hosley is the best corner you have seen since Flowers, I jump right on that. And sorry, I see you did say he has issues tackling, my bad.

So your idea is to move him to safety because of this? How is moving him to safety going to help his NFL career?

Like others have said his size would be a huge issue, and if he cannot well tackle great at corner, oh well, but you do not move him to safety because of that. He is and will be a corner, but next time one makes a comparison of Virgina Tech corners, try a smaller version of DeAngelo Hall, or a corner like Anthony Midget. Both ball hawk corners that played the pass well, and Hall especially being a special return guy as well like Hosley. Flowers physicality destroys the comparison instantly.
What are you even talking about now? You have serious reading comprehension issues.

First of all, BigBanger was the post you first cited. And again, if you bothered to read, he said the only reason he'd consider moving Hosley to Free Safety is because his range and ball-hawking abilities are so good they are on the same level as Sean Taylor or Ed Reed.

Maybe you should try reading before replying to other posts.

Ozzy
08-31-2011, 10:33 AM
Big Bird What are you even talking about now? You have serious reading comprehension issues.

First of all, BigBanger was the post you first cited. And again, if you bothered to read, he said the only reason he'd consider moving Hosley to Free Safety is because his range and ball-hawking abilities are so good they are on the same level as Sean Taylor or Ed Reed.

Maybe you should try reading before replying to other posts.Other than complaining about my 'comprehension', do you have anything of value to add to this discussion, or just insult me on issues not dealing with Jayron Hosley as a football player?

Do you have an actual opinion on this matter? That would be preferred.

Big Bird
08-31-2011, 12:07 PM
Other than complaining about my 'comprehension', do you have anything of value to add to this discussion, or just insult me on issues not dealing with Jayron Hosley as a football player?

Do you have an actual opinion on this matter? That would be preferred.
Good way to attempt to back out on how stupid you look right now.

There isn't nothing that hasn't already been said about Hosley. The guy has good enough athletic ability and ridiculous instincts. He has good footwork and breaks on the ball extremely well. He belongs in the 1st Round.

BigBanger
09-04-2011, 06:41 PM
Hey when I see a statement like Hosley is the best corner you have seen since Flowers, I jump right on that. And sorry, I see you did say he has issues tackling, my bad.
lol, you are very confused and you have a short attention span ... you quoted me. Not BigBird, but both our names start with BIG. You apparently suffer from some form of dyslexia / ADD where you wont be bothered to read more than 9 words before you blindly respond to the 9 words that you read.

Hosley is the best CB Virginia Tech has had since Brandon Flowers. I did not say I haven't seen a CB prospect as good as Flowers since Flowers entered. I have not called Hosley the undisputed best CB in this draft. He's at the top and one of my favorites going into the season. Are you still reading? So your quote where you're saying I called Hosley the best CB the draft has seen since Flowers ... it is inaccurate and that's not what I said.

But in reality -- calling Hosley the best CB VT has had since Flowers -- that's not saying a whole lot. Saying he's more talented than Flowers (who was a terrific player and a really good pro), also probably not much of a limb I stood on since Flowers physical abilities (height, weight, speed) and disturbing Facebook pictures were what made him drop in the draft. pig fart. Did you catch that?

Since Brandon Flowers ... I would say Malcolm Jenkins has been the the only CB I liked as much as him. Really, Flowers is probably my second favorite CB prospect of the last 8-10 years or so, only to Darrelle Revis (my only elite CB prospect of that time). All the other guys I really liked (Joe Haden, Kyle Wilson, Patrick Peterson, Prince Amukamara and Jimmy Smith) all had something about them that might have put me off just a little. Flowers and Jenkins were pretty much perfect players in my eyes. Both had questionable speed, but I never once doubted Flowers ability to play CB and I always said Jenkins would make a great FS if CB didn't work (he played there in spots and looked great while at Ohio St.). I'm wasting my time aren't I? Hosley can't tackle. Did that answer your question? He's also nothing like Flowers. I never compared the two, but I did just dismiss any comparison between the two.

My 10 favorite CB prospects since 2000

1. Darrelle Revis, Pittsburgh
2. Terrence Newman, Kansas St.
3. Brandon Flowers, Virginia Tech
4. Malcolm Jenkins, Ohio St.
5. Aqib Talib, Kansas
6. Patrick Peterson, LSU
7. Prince Amukamara, Nebraska
8. Joe Haden, Florida
9. Corey Webster, LSU
10. Jonathan Joseph, South Carolina

Jimmy Smith, Colorado / Kyle Wilson, Boise St. / Leon Hall, Michigan / Darius Butler, Connecticut / Carlos Rogers, Auburn / Antonio Cromartie, Florida St. / Eric Wright, UNLV / Mike Jenkins, South Florida / Charles Godfrey, Iowa / Jonathan Wade, Tennessee / Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Tennessee St. / Patrick Lee, Auburn / Leodis McKelvin, Troy -- would be guys in my 10-20 bracket.

Old dirty bastard. Are you down with ODB? Yeah, you know me.

Have I lost you? I'm spewing random poo now and trying to avoid any asterisk's, which may cause you to look at one single response. Why did I just think of ODB? That's kind of facked up that I would think of that. What made me think of that? Do I have ADD like you? Now, I'm freaking out.

It might not help Hosley's NFL career by moving to FS. Like I said, it's a projection. But his ballhawking ability indicates that he could possibly make that transition since he has the range, pursuit angles and ball skills of a ball hawking free safety. Still reading? He's so good in deep coverage that he may have more potential at free safety than at CB. Like I already said, his size and tackling ability may even prevent such a move. It may be just something to ponder if he were to surprise people, and struggle at CB. Now, hopefully, if you're still reading, we're all on the same page.

Like others have said his size would be a huge issue, and if he cannot well tackle great at corner, oh well, but you do not move him to safety because of that.
Right. And by "others" you mean me, the guy you quoted and asked what about his tackling ability? What about his tackling ability?

I'm not saying he needs to play FS because he can't play CB. I think he's the right there with Kirkpatrick among the best CBs prospects in this draft. I'm merely saying he has a lot of potential at safety as well, maybe even more since he's so natural dropping into zones and making plays on the ball 30, 40, and 50 down field. Great free safeties are much harder to find than good CBs and his value could go up if a team fell in love with his ball skills as a FS.

He is and will be a corner, but next time one makes a comparison of Virgina Tech corners, try a smaller version of DeAngelo Hall, or a corner like Anthony Midget. Both ball hawk corners that played the pass well, and Hall especially being a special return guy as well like Hosley. Flowers physicality destroys the comparison instantly.
I never compared them as players. I mentioned the two in the same sentence. That's the closet I have come to comparing them, which is not all that farking close. You are the only person comparing them in this entire thread, and now your getting mad about it. Still reading?

This was a huge wall o' text for you to attempt to absorb, or look at then try to read a different post (in this thread or another) that might contain one or two sentences. Or that top 10 list will catch your eye to the point that it's all you'll read. Or you'll keep confusing BigBird with me and act as if he had anything to do with this, hell, if you do respond to this response you'll probably think I'm BigBird when I'm not and you think that you've been corresponding with one person this entire time. We'll see how you managed and if located some hidden comments, not meant trip you up, but just to see if you made it past the first 6 words of this post. If you have gotten this far, don't take this response as any other way than me just breaking your balls. Because thats all this really is. I intentionally made this reply so much longer than it needed to be, just to see if you actually would read it. I've talked about "O.D.B.," made an absurdly random comment about pig farts and now, I'm talking about the random comments that I made just so that I can continue this post and make it long than necessary, but some people will read this, and when they do, I'll wonder if they're more facked up than me for reading this worthless poo. Now, I'm going to stare at a fly puking on a wall. That was another weird comment that you may or may not get to, but if you do, I owe you a big apology, or you owe BigBird, not to be confused with BigBanger, an apology for correcting your bad attention span habits where you comment on posts you haven't even read because you're too lazy to read them. Then you wont look foolish by asking me about tackling ability when I had just got done talking about tackling ability. Did you notice the part where I talked about tackling ability? Tackles.

BamaFalcon59
09-04-2011, 08:56 PM
Far too much effort in that post IMO.

But saying he's the best CB at VT since Flowers is pretty impressive IMO. Rock Carmichael and Macho Harris weren't great prospects, but both were terrific college players, particularly Harris.

But yeah, second to Flowers for VT in this decade ahead of guys like DeAngelo Hall, Macho, and Jimmy Williams IMO.

Actually, Jimmy Williams might have been better all around as a junior, but they are vastly different corners.

shylo3716
10-27-2011, 08:09 PM
Has Hosley fallen off the radar?

RaiderNation
10-28-2011, 03:28 AM
I still have him as a top 5 eligible CB

BamaFalcon59
10-28-2011, 09:09 AM
Has Hosley fallen off the radar?

No, he's been out two weeks with a hamstring injury.

He's Asante Samuel. His run defense needs to improve, although he's plenty physical on screens and the like.

1funguy
10-29-2011, 06:02 AM
Hosley's only "tackling issues" are due to his size. There's no issue at all with effort or technique & his tackling ability in general is good. Yes,you see him get washed out or even trucked at times, but again .... not a big guy.

He's a better tackler than some supposedly hot-**** NFL corners (I'm looking at you, Cromartie).