PDA

View Full Version : Who is one player from the pre-modern era you'd like to see play today?

Ness
08-21-2011, 02:01 AM
I think the modern era of football is usually considered before 1970. For me it's Johnny Unitas. He played until 1973, but the majority of his career took place before 1970. I would have liked to have seen how he would have fit in today's game and if he could be as successful as he was back then. I'm guessing he would have been. Just seemed like a really dominant player for his time.

Complex
08-21-2011, 02:06 AM
Jim Brown or Paul Hornung

General Zod
08-21-2011, 02:08 AM
Thats easy, Jim Brown. Id like to see if he would be as dominant in todays NFL as he was during the 60's.

Shane P. Hallam
08-21-2011, 02:26 AM
I kind of want to see Steve Largent go out there and play...

America
08-21-2011, 02:34 AM
Jim Thorpe. He was a freak athlete, playing football, baseball, basketball and won Olympic golds in the pentathlon and decathlon. I don't know if he'd stack up against the athletes today, but he dominated everybody back in his day.

Ness
08-21-2011, 03:16 AM
Jim Thorpe. He was a freak athlete, playing football, baseball, basketball and won Olympic golds in the pentathlon and decathlon. I don't know if he'd stack up against the athletes today, but he dominated everybody back in his day.

That would be interesting. If he was born in today's era he'd also have the advantages that today's athletes do in terms of training and education. Which is kind of why I believe a lot of the players in the pre-modern era that were dominant may have just as good of a chance to be dominant now or at least really good.

TitanHope
08-21-2011, 03:28 AM
Mel Blount for me, but he enters the NFL right at your cutoff date.

FUNBUNCHER
08-21-2011, 03:29 AM
Gayle Sayers and Fran Tarkenton.

Give me those two in their prime playing in the 21st century, and my team beats yours!!

Bengalsrocket
08-21-2011, 03:50 AM
Sammy Baugh always sounded like a true gamer to me. Being skilled enough to play quarterback and tough enough to play defense (along with the coordination it takes to be a punter). I don't even care what position he would play in today's game, I just imaging with this era's equipment and knowledge he would be great no matter where / when he played.

Go ahead and read his wikipedia article, it makes him seem like a man amongst children when it comes to playing in the NFL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sammy_Baugh

CJSchneider
08-21-2011, 09:18 AM
I kind of want to see Steve Largent go out there and play...

Thanks for making me feel old. I have seen Steve Largent play.

Nalej
08-21-2011, 09:21 AM

Haha

J. Brown for me

Shane P. Hallam
08-21-2011, 09:45 AM

My goal is complete :D He retired when I was 3, so I missed out.

JoeJoeBrown
08-21-2011, 10:16 AM
After Jim brown I'd say Otto Graham.

Halsey
08-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Your mom.

Ok, not really...I'd like to see Walter Camp. He invented the game, so it'd be funny to see Ray Lewis blow him up.

Babylon
08-21-2011, 12:26 PM
John Mackey, the great Baltimore TE.

John Hannah, guard, N.E. Patiots

Dick Butus, Bears.

yo123
08-21-2011, 04:17 PM
Surprised no one has mentioned Don Hutson yet, but I'd go with Jim Brown.

UKfan
08-21-2011, 04:39 PM
I'd have to say Raymond Berry of the Baltimore Colts. Probably a weird choice, but from reading books about the 1958 "Greatest Game Ever Played" and such, it seems he relied solely on studying and precise route running to get open rather than physical attributes, and would love to see if that carried over against todays better athlete.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Berry

scottyboy
08-21-2011, 04:44 PM
Your mom.

Ok, not really...I'd like to see Walter Camp. He invented the game, so it'd be funny to see Ray Lewis blow him up.

you are quite possibly the worst poster in the history of the world.

also, Hutson, without a doubt.

BRAVEHEART
08-21-2011, 04:52 PM
vPm-6ZlTM5o

Arguably the greatest cb ever. This guy is like the Jim Brown of cornerbacks.

dannyz
08-21-2011, 04:53 PM
Mel Blount for me, but he enters the NFL right at your cutoff date.

I think he would be out of the League and in the Poor house in like Three Seasons. He would get fined for so many hits. I would Love to see Gale Sayers Play Today. The Medicine we have today would make sure he would play for at least twice as long as his career.

J-Mike88
08-21-2011, 04:55 PM
Thats easy, Jim Brown. Id like to see if he would be as dominant in todays NFL as he was during the 60's.
I've seen some television discussions about just that, with some recent players saying they believe Brown is "overrated" because he played against defenses that still had not implemented the "athletes" that today's NFL has.
More specifically, they said, was that there still weren't any brothers in the league, on defense. Maybe one.

Look at today's defenses.... cornerbacks for example. It's 100% the opposite of what it used to be. And today's safeties are as big as Brown's era's DE's, And fast.

Halsey
08-21-2011, 05:21 PM
you are quite possibly the worst poster in the history of the world.

also, Hutson, without a doubt.

Calm down, Walter Camp fanboy. I was joking.

ps Playing Princeton is a pretty weak opponent to start off college football with.

V.I.P
08-21-2011, 05:26 PM
Barry Sanders to split carries with LeGarrette Blount.

yo123
08-21-2011, 05:27 PM
Barry Sanders played like 10 years ago. That's the modern era.

V.I.P
08-21-2011, 05:31 PM
Barry Sanders played like 10 years ago. That's the modern era.

Your point? COD Modern Warfare came out like 2 years ago!

Raiderz4Life
08-21-2011, 06:15 PM
Your point? COD Modern Warfare came out like 2 years ago!

wtf you talkin bout??

The OP clearly stated pre-1970.

molenguinurtle
08-21-2011, 09:24 PM
Emlen Tunnel

CJSchneider
08-21-2011, 09:43 PM
Perhaps not just one player, but he Green Bay Packers of the early 60's.

phlysac
08-21-2011, 10:04 PM
WAAAAAY to many guys in this thread that I've seen play. Pre-1970 would make me feel better.

FUNBUNCHER
08-21-2011, 10:07 PM
I've seen some television discussions about just that, with some recent players saying they believe Brown is "overrated" because he played against defenses that still had not implemented the "athletes" that today's NFL has.
More specifically, they said, was that there still weren't any brothers in the league, on defense. Maybe one.

Look at today's defenses.... cornerbacks for example. It's 100% the opposite of what it used to be. And today's safeties are as big as Brown's era's DE's, And fast.
Not talking about you, but to call Jim Brown 'overrated' IMO is beyond disrespectful and shortsighted.

Sure the guy was playing football in the 1950s when he was bigger than several OL and Dlineman, but you have to consider the guy never really lifted weights, was 6'2, 230# and ran @ a 4.4.

Today he would be a 6'2, 245# RB with the ability to go the distance on any play.

Brown wasn't the only AA in the NFL. The ratio wasn't then what it is now, but when four, 5, six guys try to tackle you and you brush them off like gnats, I don't how he's 'overrated'.

If Barry Sanders and Walter Payton considered Jim Brown the best, that's enough for me.

scottyboy
08-21-2011, 10:09 PM
WAAAAAY to many guys in this thread that I've seen play. Pre-1970 would make me feel better.

and on the flip side, I would've killed to see LT play. hooray youth.
did that make you feel any better?

Pat Sims 90
08-21-2011, 10:10 PM
Deacon Jones and Dick "Nighttrain" Lane

phlysac
08-21-2011, 10:16 PM
Deacon Jones and Dick "Nighttrain" Lane

Wow! Those are definitely two of my top picks as well.

Ness
08-21-2011, 10:17 PM
Jones wouldn't be able to do his famous "head slap", so it would definitely be interesting.

phlysac
08-21-2011, 10:20 PM
Jones wouldn't be able to do his famous "head slap", so it would definitely be interesting.

None of the classic defenders would be allowed to play like they did. I want to see them play EXACTLY like they did.

CJSchneider
08-21-2011, 10:32 PM
and on the flip side, I would've killed to see LT play. hooray youth.
did that make you feel any better?

OK, now you are just rubbing it in.

Ness
08-21-2011, 10:51 PM
None of the classic defenders would be allowed to play like they did. I want to see them play EXACTLY like they did.

Well they wouldn't by today's standards, which in my opinion would be interesting. Because you'd really get to see if they could hang by today's rules and not rely on other tactics.

phlysac
08-21-2011, 10:55 PM
Well they wouldn't by today's standards, which in my opinion would be interesting. Because you'd really get to see if they could hang by today's rules and not rely on other tactics.

"Hang by today's rules" isn't even the bigggest issue in my opinion. Although "the game" is essentially the same, the players simply are not. Many of the NFL's starting QBs are the size that the Linemen were back-in-the-day. Skill doesn't translate seemlessly. What Deacon Jones did against a 6'2" 260lb 5.0 40 O-Linemen won't have exact results against 6"5" 330lb 4.8 40 O-Linemen.

This dilemma exists at nearly every position.

EricCartmann
08-21-2011, 11:34 PM
Jim Brown is easily #1.

Bengalsrocket
08-21-2011, 11:39 PM
The only concern about Jim Brown I would have is if his speed would be up to par with current players. I don't know why people think size is an issue for this guy, he's still bigger than Adrian Peterson (who runs a pretty aggressive style in today's league).

Being a running back isn't 100% about being athletic. He must have had the same instincts, courage and desire back then as any great running back since his time.

Also, weights were not invented in the 1970's. I'm almost positive Jim Brown would have lifted weights through out his career. The equipment definitely wasn't as good, but it still existed. The more important factor is the information we have now. How to use said equipment the most efficiently.

It also doesn't hurt that people grew up wanting to be Jim Brown, a goal which would drive them to strive longer, a luxury Jim Brown didn't have :P

Borat
08-22-2011, 12:03 AM
Marion Motley. He was like Brandon Jacobs, but with heart.

FUNBUNCHER
08-22-2011, 12:16 AM
Off season strength training wasn't as sophisticated or performance specific in the '50s and '60s the way it is now.

IMO pro athletes when Brown played 'lifted' weights the way I did when I was 14 years old and rolled into the weight room with a couple of my boys.

You do a few sets of whatever, never close to max with jacked up form, then you grab the dumb bells to pump the arms, then jet.

The reason I speculate Jim Brown didn't really lift weights as a pro is because I doubt the Browns had a strength and conditioning coach back then, and when you look at JB's physique, he looks like a naturally lean, muscular dude, but not a heavily weight trained athlete.

Babylon
08-22-2011, 12:35 AM
Bubba Smith would be dominant in today's game. He'd tackle 2 or 3 guys if he wasnt sure who had the ball and let the referee sort out who had the ball.

Ness
08-22-2011, 12:53 AM
Bubba Smith would be dominant in today's game. He'd tackle 2 or 3 guys if he wasnt sure who had the ball and let the referee sort out who had the ball.

"Yo?"

"Yo sir!"

TheBoyWonder22
08-22-2011, 12:53 AM
I'd have to go with Dick Lane too.

katnip
08-22-2011, 12:47 PM
would it be accurate to say jim brown was what bo jackson was supposed to be in browns era?

J-Mike88
08-22-2011, 01:03 PM
would it be accurate to say jim brown was what bo jackson was supposed to be in browns era?
Well remember this, Bo played against the best-of-the-best.
Brown was playing in an era when there were still few African-American's integrated into the league.

If you don't think that makes a difference, you've not looked at the Pro Bowl CBs, safeties, OLBers, and DE's over the past 20 years.

Nothing against anyone, but Brown was not going against defenses that Emmitt or Tomlinson or AD28 are.

FUNBUNCHER
08-22-2011, 01:27 PM
That's a good comparison, Bo Jackson and Jim Brown, strictly based on physical tools.

Bo was faster though, rumored to have 4.2 speed(hand timed).

Brothgar
08-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Bobby Lane The Last Great QB in Detroit. I'd love to see Bobby half drunk on the field and punch a linebacker.

boknows34
08-22-2011, 04:10 PM
That's a good comparison, Bo Jackson and Jim Brown, strictly based on physical tools.

Bo was faster though, rumored to have 4.2 speed(hand timed).

I've always said Bo was 'Jim Brown with 4.2 speed'. One of the greatest 'What Ifs' in sport never mind football. A 5.4 career ypc against modern day NFL defenders in what was just a hobby after 6 months of Major League Baseball. Bo also said in his book he never lifted weights as he thought it was boring.

''He played 8-9 games per year, was never really in shape for football. Bo Jackson had he played football would have set standards that even today would be unmatched.'' - Ron Wolf

''Bo Jackson is the greatest athlete of all-time'' - Paul Hornung.

Back on topic:

Unitas
Brown
Baugh
Hutson
Thorpe
Grange
Lane
Motley
Bednarik
Deacon Jones