PDA

View Full Version : Cam Newton vs Former #1 QBs

dregolll
08-22-2011, 09:42 AM
Let me start by saying that this thread will be solely based on “physical gifts” only. That said, watching Cam Newton in his first two preseason games has been a real treat. The first thing that stands out to me is how “huge” he is in the huddle. He seems taller than his OL, he just looks like the “prototypical” physical specimen that you will draw up for a QB prospect. His right arm is a true rocket launcher that will probably become the stuff of legends. His skillset and physical presence I think exceeds all former #1 overall picks including Michael Vick. Michael does not have the sheer size and strength of Newton, so advantage Newton.
Lets take a look, his height is up there with some of the taller QBs that went #1 overall,Testeverde, Bledsoe, and Peyton Manning. His actual weight is greater than all with the exception of Jamarcus Russell, but make no mistake, Newton is built like a tank and Russell was fat and out of shape. His speed is greater than all with the only exception being Michael Vick. That “rocket launcher” that is strapped to his right shoulder takes a back seat to no one. So with this said, is Cam Newton the most “physically gifted #1 overall QB pick? Again, this has nothing to do with his NFL career, albeit a very young career, or how you may view him as a person. We are dealing facts.
In my honest opinion, Cam is #1 in my book because he has all the attributes from the past #1 overall QB picks, not matter how you look at. I think he will set the standard for how QB prospects are suppose to look in the future. Your thougths!

bam bam
08-22-2011, 09:43 AM
who cares?

A Perfect Score
08-22-2011, 10:22 AM
Everything about this thread is just terrible.

Giantsfan1080
08-22-2011, 10:24 AM
Everything about this thread is just terrible.

Not anymore with this post.

SolidGold
08-22-2011, 10:26 AM
Let me start by saying that this thread will be solely based on “physical gifts” only. That said, watching Cam Newton in his first two preseason games has been a real treat. The first thing that stands out to me is how “huge” he is in the huddle. He seems taller than his OL, he just looks like the “prototypical” physical specimen that you will draw up for a QB prospect. His right arm is a true rocket launcher that will probably become the stuff of legends. His skillset and physical presence I think exceeds all former #1 overall picks including Michael Vick. Michael does not have the sheer size and strength of Newton, so advantage Newton.
Lets take a look, his height is up there with some of the taller QBs that went #1 overall,Testeverde, Bledsoe, and Peyton Manning. His actual weight is greater than all with the exception of Jamarcus Russell, but make no mistake, Newton is built like a tank and Russell was fat and out of shape. His speed is greater than all with the only exception being Michael Vick. That “rocket launcher” that is strapped to his right shoulder takes a back seat to no one. So with this said, is Cam Newton the most “physically gifted #1 overall QB pick? Again, this has nothing to do with his NFL career, albeit a very young career, or how you may view him as a person. We are dealing facts.
In my honest opinion, Cam is #1 in my book because he has all the attributes from the past #1 overall QB picks, not matter how you look at. I think he will set the standard for how QB prospects are suppose to look in the future. Your thougths!

That "rocket launcher" would be alot more accurate if he didn't throw off his backfoot.

Raiderz4Life
08-22-2011, 10:36 AM
His rocket launcher would take a backseat to JaMarcus' missle launcher lol

descendency
08-22-2011, 11:51 AM
Are we talking pre-1990?

Because John Elway > Cam Newton as a physical talent.

FUNBUNCHER
08-22-2011, 12:21 PM
Better to be a great QB than a great physical prospect at QB.

SolidGold
08-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Better to be a great QB than a great physical prospect at QB.

This_______

dregolll
08-22-2011, 12:35 PM
Are we talking pre-1990?

Because John Elway > Cam Newton as a physical talent.

Can you tell me how that is the case when Newton exceeds Elway in every physical attribute.

A Perfect Score
08-22-2011, 12:42 PM
Can you tell me how that is the case when Newton exceeds Elway in every physical attribute.

So did Kyle Boller. Are we ready to anoint him as the second coming as well?

FUNBUNCHER
08-22-2011, 01:25 PM
Elway's arm arguably was maybe a little stronger, but not in any real significant way.

I agree that Cam as a physical prospect exceeds Elway, but the overall QB prospect evaluation, leadership/intelligence/work ethic, etc., IMO goes in Elway's favor.

If Cam comes anywhere close to realizing his near unlimited potential, this opinion might change however.

dregolll
08-22-2011, 01:40 PM
No, Newton without a doubt has a stronger arm than Elway. Guy does not even have to step into his throws and he still throws rockets. Newton, in terms of pure arm strength wins out in my opinion.

FUNBUNCHER
08-22-2011, 01:47 PM
No QB 'without a doubt' has a stronger arm than Elway.lol

It doesn't help that most modern NFL fans are watching Elway highlights on NFLN and NFL films in slo-mo.

dregolll
08-22-2011, 01:54 PM
Well, can we agree that both have "elite" armstrength.

SolidGold
08-22-2011, 01:55 PM
I'd have to say out of this year's draft class both Mallet and Kaepernick have stronger arms than Newton. One can go on and on listing QBs with equal or greater arm strength than Newton. It isn't the key asset that makes a QB great.

FUNBUNCHER
08-22-2011, 01:57 PM
Well, can we agree that both have "elite" armstrength.

Truth.

Peyton Manning would love to have Cam's arm.

Raiderz4Life
08-22-2011, 01:58 PM

It doesn't help that most modern NFL fans are watching Elway highlights on NFLN and NFL films in slo-mo.

Again.....Russell would pwn em both in pure arm strength. That's about it though

Ness
08-22-2011, 02:16 PM
Guys like Josh Freeman, Dante Culpepper, Steve McNair, Ben Roethlisberger, and Vince Young were just as impressive when they were drafted. I wouldn't say that Cam Newton is hands down the most physically impressive quarterback to come out of the NFL draft in the first round.

BigBanger
08-22-2011, 02:47 PM
Cam Newton is a HALL. OF. FAMER.

With a gray wenis and white teeth. Can never go wrong there.

tjsunstein
08-22-2011, 02:57 PM
Forget starting a regular season game, send him to Canton.

Ness
08-22-2011, 03:01 PM

Favre? He loves to throw himself some rocket balls.

niel89
08-22-2011, 03:04 PM
Cam Newton is big and has a strong arm. It's not like we've never seen that before. He has good running ability but its not all that sudden and I don't see him running on NFL defenses consistently.

You can have the physical freak, I'll take the guy who is a QB.

Heres some Elway highlights to make this tread fun.

EXIt_9l023o

His passes are just on a frozen rope when he wants. The ball just explodes out of his hand, very quick release. Even on the long balls, you can just tell he was laying in to the receiver instead of just throwing it will full strength. A lot of this passes are later in his career too. I remember hearing stories about his receivers complaining because it hurt to catch his passes in practice.

tjsunstein
08-22-2011, 03:32 PM
I can't believe Newton is seriously being compared to Elway even as a prospect.

A Perfect Score
08-22-2011, 03:33 PM

This is what happens when a lack of age meets a lack of intelligence.

dregolll
08-22-2011, 03:44 PM
No one is comparing Newton to Elway, in fact, I compared Newton to other #1 overall prospects. Nowhere in my post did I mention Elway. Also, Just because Elway is a HOF QB doesn't mean Newton can't be compared to him "physically".

bearsfan_51
08-22-2011, 03:48 PM
Jeff George might have had a stronger arm than Elway. That's probably about it.

dunagan15
08-22-2011, 03:48 PM

Do your knees hurt?

niel89
08-22-2011, 03:50 PM
Elway was a #1 overall so he would absolutely be included. I don't think that Newton does compare with Elway physically. I think that Newton is bigger, but Elway had a better arm in terms of strength, release, accuracy, and Elway had better footwork. Newton is a great athlete but I think that Elway's quarterback physical abilities are better.

Raiderz4Life
08-22-2011, 04:02 PM
Do your knees hurt?

lmao i was gonna something in the like...but walked into class and forgot.

FUNBUNCHER
08-22-2011, 04:42 PM
Actually I think Elway has the most in common with Ben Roethlisberger.

Mobile guys with big arms who didn't put up overwhelming stats, but when the game is on the line in the 4th quarter, both QBs are clutch.

Cam has a bigger arm than VY, he's more mobile than Big Ben and Josh Freeman, he's way bigger than Steve McNair and a better QB outside the pocket than Culpepper.

Just based on physical tools, IMO Cam for the most part is in his own category.

Too bad those clips of Elway are from the end of his career, and not when he went on those SB runs with Dan Reeves.

The Alex
08-22-2011, 04:43 PM

First of all, put a line break in between your paragraphs. Secondly, it's straight up laughable to state Newton's skillset exceeds those of previous number one overall quarterbacks. While size is a factor in a quarterback prospects and Newton fits the bill of an ideal one, it's hardly the most crucial aspect of a quarterback's potential. I could think of at least ten other factors I would put ahead of size. As long as you're not below 6 feet tall and weigh less than 200 pounds, you should be okay.

His speed isn't even close to Vick's. In fact, his 40 time wasn't even in the top three for this quarterback class. So that takes his speed out of the equation. Further more, speed, just like size, not a crucial factor in quarterbacks. Go look at the top quarterbacks of the last ten years, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Neither of them are what you would call fast.

Newton has a rocket launcher but it's hardly the most powerful of fellow number one overall quarterbacks. JaMarcus Russell was able to throw ball 60+ yards while sitting on his knees. It hardly got him anywhere. Which is why arm strength doesn't mean a thing if you can't hit receivers accurately or make multiple reads. Newton played in a loony tunes offense at Auburn that didn't require him to play like an NFL quarterback at all. I'll take a quarterback that understands the game on multiple levels over a physical specimen any day of the week.

Lastly, next year's number one overall pick, Andrew Luck, is ten times the quarterback prospect Cam Newton was this past draft.

Saints-Tigers
08-22-2011, 04:43 PM
Vastly overrating his arm and speed.

His arm and legs aren't in the same area code as Mike Vick, and plenty ofguys are so much more talented in terms of velocity/accuracy, that his running ability doesn't come close to making up to it.

#1's is misleading anyway, because someone like Culpepper is similar, but Culpepper was stronger and had a better arm, pretty easily if you ask me.

FUNBUNCHER
08-22-2011, 04:54 PM
Let's chill about arm strength for a minute. I don't think anyone dwarfs Cam Newton in terms of pure arm strength, nor will football fans ever see Cam throw the football and think, 'if only his arm was more powerful, he would have completed that pass.'

Is his arm as strong as Jamarcus Russell/Vick/Elway/Favre?? If it isn't, it still belongs in that group of QBs with elite arm strength.

Not many QBs come in a package 6'5, 250#, sub 4.6 speed with legit open field run skills.
I don't really like focusing on Cam's tools anyway because if he busts or becomes a pro bowler, it all starts and ends for Newton from the neck up.

dregolll
08-22-2011, 05:01 PM
Well, I don't what player you are watching, but to say that he is not in the same zipcode is asenine. I think he arm strength exceeds Michael Vick.

Raiderz4Life
08-22-2011, 05:26 PM
Well, I don't what player you are watching, but to say that he is not in the same zipcode is asenine. I think he arm strength exceeds Michael Vick.

Vick has an absolute canon too. His problem, just as Cam's, was his accuracy. Wasn't the most accurate QB but he was electrifying, insane athlete. I don't think we'll ever see Cam juke and break ppl's ankles like Vick did. So all in all

Vick>>Cam

Jvig43
08-22-2011, 05:28 PM
This is what happens when a lack of age meets a lack of intelligence.

Which sadly plagues a lot of these threads. If you aren't old enough to have watched alot of these other guys play don't sit there and try to ******* compare other players with them, let alone ones who have only played two pre season games.

JHL6719
08-22-2011, 05:34 PM

This.

God Elway was good.

descendency
08-22-2011, 05:45 PM
His arm and legs aren't in the same area code as Mike Vick, and plenty ofguys are so much more talented in terms of velocity/accuracy, that his running ability doesn't come close to making up to it.

Vick's legs don't move a 6'5", 250 LB athlete either.

BamaFalcon59
08-23-2011, 01:29 PM
Vick's legs don't move a 6'5", 250 LB athlete either.

Vick's quickness and athleticism have been much more useful in avoiding sacks and picking up yards than Newton's strangth will be.

Vick making a LB miss results in 20 yards. Newton trucking into a LB results in 2-4 extra yards.

Also, Newton does not have Vick's arm. To go along with the ability to throw the ball far, Vick has a lightening quick release and can put more velocity on the ball than anybody in the league.

Saints-Tigers
08-23-2011, 01:53 PM
Let's chill about arm strength for a minute. I don't think anyone dwarfs Cam Newton in terms of pure arm strength, nor will football fans ever see Cam throw the football and think, 'if only his arm was more powerful, he would have completed that pass.'

Is his arm as strong as Jamarcus Russell/Vick/Elway/Favre?? If it isn't, it still belongs in that group of QBs with elite arm strength.

Not many QBs come in a package 6'5, 250#, sub 4.6 speed with legit open field run skills.
I don't really like focusing on Cam's tools anyway because if he busts or becomes a pro bowler, it all starts and ends for Newton from the neck up.

His arm definitely doesn't belong in the group with the guys you mentioned.

descendency
08-23-2011, 02:49 PM
Vick's quickness and athleticism have been much more useful in avoiding sacks and picking up yards than Newton's strangth will be.

Vick making a LB miss results in 20 yards. Newton trucking into a LB results in 2-4 extra yards.

Also, Newton does not have Vick's arm. To go along with the ability to throw the ball far, Vick has a lightening quick release and can put more velocity on the ball than anybody in the league.

Newton is a hell of a lot harder to tackle though if you can get to him. Vick was hard to catch, but if you did, he went down. Newton is far more likely to last in the NFL for 16 games than Vick.

edit: I still think people (because of their age) are under-estimating Elway's athleticism.

San Diego Chicken
08-23-2011, 03:03 PM
Newton is a hell of a lot harder to tackle though if you can get to him. Vick was hard to catch, but if you did, he went down. Newton is far more likely to last in the NFL for 16 games than Vick.

edit: I still think people (because of their age) are under-estimating Elway's athleticism.

I think so too. To be perfectly honest, if a prime Elway raced Newton, I think Elway would win. In the 80's, the only QB who was faster was Randall Cunningham. I don't even think Steve Young was as fast as Elway was, but he liked scrambling more.

FUNBUNCHER
08-23-2011, 03:44 PM
Elway ran a 4.6. Steve Young ran a 4.5.

It was the combination of Elway's athleticism, arm strength, football IQ, leadership and competitiveness that made so many veteran scouts consider Elway the greatest pro QB prospect ever.

What Vick has over Newton throwing the ball as BamaFalcon59 already stated, is that lightening quick release and the amount of RPMs he puts on the football coming out of his hand. That's why it looks like when Vick throws the ball on certain passes, it's exploding off his fingertips.

No way was Elway as elusive scrambling as Cam Newton should be in the pros, but again that's not the issue for him anyway.

After Vick and Randall Cunningham/young D Mac, I expect Newton to be the third/4th best QB past the LOS to ever play the game.

Ness
08-23-2011, 04:32 PM
After Vick and Randall Cunningham/young D Mac, I expect Newton to be the third/4th best QB past the LOS to ever play the game.

Really? He's going to have to knockdown the legacies of guys like Steve Young, Steve McNair, and Frank Tarkenton first. We don't even know yet how Newton is going to handle scrambling and running in the open field yet in the pros.

CC.SD
08-23-2011, 04:41 PM

Really? He's going to have to knockdown the legacies of guys like Steve Young, Steve McNair, and Frank Tarkenton first. We don't even know yet how Newton is going to handle scrambling and running in the open field yet in the pros.

'Frank' Tarkenton aside, legit refutation here :) . Newton has to play some snaps before being lumped in with the Hall of Famers.

FUNBUNCHER
08-23-2011, 05:39 PM
Run skills, I'm talking about elusiveness and the ability to make a tackler miss in the open field. Tarkenton didn't 'juke' guys, neither did Elway, although they were both considered great scrambling QBs.

Steve Young tried:) to juke defenders, but his best asset when scrambling was finding a clear running lane and scooting to daylight.

Very few of the great scrambling NFL QBs were laterally elusive, like Vick/Cunningham/McNabb.....and Newton.

Newton has great run skills, I'm not saying he's going to be more effective than his predecessors when he breaks from the pocket. Being a great scrambler in the NFL is IMO about knowing when to run as much as it is about simply being a talented runner.

Ness
08-23-2011, 07:26 PM
Run skills, I'm talking about elusiveness and the ability to make a tackler miss in the open field. Tarkenton didn't 'juke' guys, neither did Elway, although they were both considered great scrambling QBs.

Steve Young tried:) to juke defenders, but his best asset when scrambling was finding a clear running lane and scooting to daylight.

Very few of the great scrambling NFL QBs were laterally elusive, like Vick/Cunningham/McNabb.....and Newton.

Newton has great run skills, I'm not saying he's going to be more effective than his predecessors when he breaks from the pocket. Being a great scrambler in the NFL is IMO about knowing when to run as much as it is about simply being a talented runner.
Steve Young had elusiveness and the ability to make people miss in the open field. He was ridiculously good at making people miss while running. He wasn't like a Mark Brunell or John Elway that scrambled but wasn't that great at making people miss in the open field. Young had that trait just like Cunningham, McNair, McNabb, and Vick do/did. There is a reason why he has over 4,000 rushing yards for his career with a 5.9 average.

Saints-Tigers
08-23-2011, 07:39 PM
I thought Vince was a more dangerous and elusive scrambler, to be honest.