PDA

View Full Version : Kenny Tate Moving to Linebacker

D-Unit
08-22-2011, 09:36 PM
OK sooo umm....

Tate was a first team all-ACC free safety in 2010, when he registered nine tackles for loss, three and a half sacks and three interceptions. His biggest contribution to the defense came when he mixed things up around the line of scrimmage, blowing up running plays on the edge and applying pressure to the quarterback.

But there were times, however infrequent they may be, where Tate had his problems. Most of the time, those struggles were in coverage, where he sometimes couldn't stay with receivers over the middle. That prompted Edsall to make a major -- and somewhat bold -- decision. Edsall moved his best defensive player from free safety to a hybrid linebacker/safety position known as the "Star," which will put Tate closer to the line of scrimmage when the ball is snapped.

http://dc.sbnation.com/maryland-terrapins/2011/8/22/2376377/kenny-tate-maryland-football-preview-randy-edsall

His coach thinks LB will be what will be his best pro position. Do you like this move?

no bare feet
08-23-2011, 06:53 AM
WLB will be his best pro position. Not only that, but this will be the best position for his current team to utilize his skillset.

Ozzy
08-23-2011, 10:09 AM
D-Unit His coach thinks LB will be what will be his best pro position. Do you like this move?I have not watched a ton of him at Maryland, but clearly the kid cannot cover much like Myron Rolle or back a few years with Cato June on Michigan. Tate was probably just playing safety to have a big safety, bit coverage has to be the issue there. So maybe moving him to linebacker is for the best.

But again if he could cover I see no reason to move him to linebacker, clearly that has to be an issue.

Which proves even more how great Sean Taylor really was, with that size, hitting ability and coverage skills.

Shane P. Hallam
08-23-2011, 12:48 PM
Yup, his skillset is best for LB anyway, might as well get experience there.

Matthew Jones
08-23-2011, 02:02 PM
This seems like a blessing in disguise for Tate - it's good that his coaching staff is actually trying to put him in the best position to succeed at the next level. NFL teams won't have to do as much guesswork when attempting to determine how well he projects to their defense. It seems like he's going to have to make the move at some point, so why not start the transition in college?

Big Bird
08-23-2011, 02:24 PM
This is very old news...

descendency
08-23-2011, 02:52 PM
There isn't a whole lot of difference between a star and a SS.

ellsy82
08-23-2011, 03:03 PM
This is very old news...

It is, and I'm still not a fan of it. But I don't know the whole story still. Did he gain weight? 220 is still a decent weight for a strong safety. He has the lateral quickness to play the position. Is it a lack of depth at LB? Someone who knows please fill me in.

mario
08-23-2011, 03:24 PM
It is, and I'm still not a fan of it. But I don't know the whole story still. Did he gain weight? 220 is still a decent weight for a strong safety.
Think he played at that weight (or close to it) last year.

BTW i don't buy too much the free safety thing the article mentioned. It's not like he was always the single-high safety in the defense. Don Brown (a DC i really like) moved him all over the field. Heck, he even played CB and rushed the passer with his hand in the dirt.

Ok, now he is listed as a LB. But he's gonna do the same thing he did a year ago. This conversion thing is getting way overhyped IMO.

He has the lateral quickness to play the position. Is it a lack of depth at LB? Someone who knows please fill me in.Not a Maryland fan, but they just lost Alex Wugciak and Adrian Moten, so...