PDA

View Full Version : Belichick doesn’t see the point in extra points

Splat
08-23-2011, 01:54 PM
Bill Belichick doesn’t see the point in extra points (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/23/bill-belichick-doesnt-see-the-point-in-extra-points/)

“Philosophically, plays that are non-plays shouldn’t be in the game (http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4700690/belichick-why-bother-with-p-a-t),” Belichick said, via Mike Reiss of ESPNBoston.com. “I don’t think it is good for the game. Extra points, when you’re up to the 99 percent range in extra points it’s not a play. Let’s move the ball back to the 15-20 yard line and not make it a tap in. Make them kick it. Same thing with the kickoff return, if you’re just going to put the ball on the 20, put the ball on the 20.”He has a point. :)

Thoughts?

bucfan12
08-23-2011, 01:57 PM
Bill Belichick doesn’t see the point in extra points (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/23/bill-belichick-doesnt-see-the-point-in-extra-points/)

He has a point. :)

Thoughts?

Can't disagree there. 95% of the kicks are going to be touchbacks. I mean, seriously, high school football has the 35 yd line rules because most can't kick that far. THIS IS THE NFL, come on.

Not sure how I feel about the extra points. I mean, yeah, it's a tap in, but it's nothing that has bothered me.

JBCX
08-23-2011, 01:58 PM
He's right.

The best suggestion I saw to rectify this was to force the player who *scored* the touchdown to kick the extra point.

Can you imagine seeing Calvin Johnson, or Adrian Peterson trying to kick a chip-shot field goal? How awesome would that be?

Giantsfan1080
08-23-2011, 02:00 PM
I agree as well. I'm not sure how the Extra Point came into the game in the first place but it does seem outdated.

Jvig43
08-23-2011, 02:16 PM
Someone put this man on the rules committee.

Pat Sims 90
08-23-2011, 02:27 PM
I am surprised Belichick even kicks PAT the way he likes to run the score up.

Ness
08-23-2011, 02:33 PM
I don't mind the extra point. There is always a chance that it could be missed. Especially in a big game. If my team scores the final touchdown to tie a game and the game still has to be won by an extra point, as a fan I'm still a little bit nervous.

V.I.P
08-23-2011, 02:38 PM
I always thought that a TD should be worthe 7, extra points has to be the boringest (is that a word?) play all game.

I disagree with the ball on the 20, KRs should still get a chance to return.

CC.SD
08-23-2011, 02:39 PM
Stupid idea, has an effect on 2-point conversions, will never happen, Ocho already rubbing off on Belichick.

Brown Leader
08-23-2011, 02:40 PM
Extra points are routine until someone misses one and loses the game (Jags) eh, I like seeing 7pts up after a TD, moving it back might get all theses crazy scores.

One of the few for sure, but I don't have a problem with the new kick off rule. It makes it more of a gamble now to bring it out. Reduced number of returns might mean guys will be not as competent covering when one is brought out. It's now higher risk/higher reward. The best returners will still make big plays regardless of where they take it out. And personally, it always bothered me when a guy, especially a starter, got hurt on a kick off return.

V.I.P
08-23-2011, 02:40 PM
Stupid idea, has an effect on 2-point conversions, will never happen, Ocho already rubbing off on Belichick.

Very good point, forgot all about that.

bucfan12
08-23-2011, 03:06 PM
Or Ndmakung Suh kicking field goals.

Thecollegedropout
08-23-2011, 03:37 PM
Hey now...those XP give you a pretty valuable point per. That has saved my butt in quite a few fantasy football games so as a fantasy football geek, we gotta keep it.

But as a football fan, I do think there is some intrigue if you can keep the 2 point conversion at where its at now and push the XP back a bit. It makes teams with inconsistent kickers think a bit and that they maybe can place faith in their red zone offense to get them the 2 points.

badgerbacker
08-23-2011, 03:39 PM
Flag football extra point(s) rules: You can go for 1 by trying to score from the 5 yardline, go for 2 by trying to score from the 10, go for 3 by trying to score from the 15.

That would switch things up quite a bit.

tjsunstein
08-23-2011, 03:51 PM
They really need to move the ball back on kickoffs.

tjsunstein
08-23-2011, 03:52 PM
Extra points keep the human factor in it. The fact that they're not guaranteed is the best part.

yo123
08-23-2011, 03:52 PM
Why not just make the extra point a longer field goal? As it is right now he's right they're worthless and a waste of time.

Edit- I guess that's exactly what he's suggesting, that's what I get for just reading the thread title.

Jughead10
08-23-2011, 03:55 PM
You could do it like Rugby. Make the kick from weird angles depending upon where the ball downed in the end zone.

DeepThreat
08-23-2011, 03:57 PM
Just make teams go for 2. I agree with his point though; the extra point is useless.

DiG
08-23-2011, 04:00 PM
but that would really shake up fantasy. nothing like winning by 2 one week thanks to your kicker getting those extra points on monday night football

Bucs_Rule
08-23-2011, 04:10 PM

They could give you a choice, take 7 points or 6 with 2 point conversion attempt.

J-Mike88
08-23-2011, 04:17 PM
If I'm not mistaken, he doesn't have to kick the extra point if he doesn't want to.

And there will be plenty of tide-changing kick returns this year, even from the KO back at the 30. It will take more ballz to bring them out, but there will be plenty of returns. Not as many but still enough to alter many games.

When the weather gets colder, some kickers will still not get them into the end zone.

descendency
08-23-2011, 04:18 PM
The NFL should replace kickoffs from the 35 with kickoffs endzone line (the 0 yard line). 1 Kicker and 1 receiver. The receiver catches the ball and is automatically down. Yes, it removes the possibility of scoring on the play but it also removes any injury concerns.

The ball is downed when a player has control of the ball. If the catch is muffed, there will be some kind of penalty.

You could do it like Rugby. Make the kick from weird angles depending upon where the ball downed in the end zone.

Make the scoring player kick the ball from a weird angle :D

niel89
08-23-2011, 04:27 PM
I honestly have no problem with the XP as is. It's not the most exciting play, but there is nothing fundamentally wrong with. I don't think there needs to be any radical changes like those described in this thread.

Bigburt63
08-23-2011, 04:34 PM
I agree as well. I'm not sure how the Extra Point came into the game in the first place but it does seem outdated.

I would assume it came from rugby, where the conversion kick is worth 2 points and the try (or touchdown) is worth 5. The twist is that the kick is from wherever the player scored the try. So for instance, if a player scores in the right corner, the kick is from there, not the center.

Bengalsrocket
08-23-2011, 04:46 PM
I'm sure a man as smart as Belichick knows the point of extra points. He's just trying to say that it should be a more difficult kick.

I actually disagree though. The kick is suppose to be easy (though not free) so you are tempted to do it in any leading position. This allows the losing team to opt for 2 point conversations to help gain ground faster.

The extra point system is pretty good right now, and I wouldn't change it any time soon.

However, pushing kick offs back might not be a bad idea!

CC.SD
08-23-2011, 04:47 PM
They could give you a choice, take 7 points or 6 with 2 point conversion attempt.

Fake extra points are so much fun though!

AHungryWalrus
08-23-2011, 07:30 PM
Extra points are extremely necessary. Celebrations have just occurred or tables have just been flipped out of rage, so I need time to get my food and drinks back in order.

descendency
08-23-2011, 11:43 PM
I doubt belichick is actually talking about removing the PAT.

This seems more like he's saying they should remove kickoffs. The PAT talk was just to keep him from being fined for trashing the NFL.

PoopSandwich
08-24-2011, 11:56 AM
Extra point could be cool if it was you got to go for 1 point from the 5 yard line or 2 points from the 10, that would be interesting.

(no kicks that is)

EricCartmann
08-24-2011, 12:03 PM
I think the Offense should get the ball back after they score. Like 1 on 1 basketball =)

someone447
08-24-2011, 12:24 PM
I think the Offense should get the ball back after they score. Like 1 on 1 basketball =)

Or Rugby :)