PDA

View Full Version : Trading Tim Tebow

Caulibflower
08-23-2011, 05:44 PM
If the Broncos should, what might he be worth to them, possible landing spots, etc. Obviously he was a controversial prospect before he was drafted, and Josh McDaniels liked him more than anyone else did.

I happen to like Tim Tebow, and hope he gets a real shot to lead a team, not just a few garbage starts at the end of a season. I want to see what he can do starting from the beginning. I've said it before; the Seahawks don't have **** at QB, and if we can give a 3rd for Charlie Whitehurst, I don't see why not for a guy who actually has some balls.

But my own homerism aside, maybe Miami? Close to home, Chad Henne's no sure thing, he basically was running the wildcat in college. He'd have some good weapons. It'd be an interesting landing spot. Having Reggie Bush would be a lot like having Percy Harvin again; Bess and Marshall are about as good a 1 and 2 you're going to find in the NFL. They've got a decent line. IF he can't be the QB Denver's been looking for since Elway retired, maybe he can try being the guy Miami's been missing since Marino.

BufFan71
08-23-2011, 05:48 PM
Buffalo would be an interesting situation

Chan Gailey is trying to run a Spread offense up in buffalo

Unbiased
08-23-2011, 05:49 PM
Buffalo would have made a lot of sense if they didn't sign Brad Smith. Miami is the only other team that would do some wildcat, right?

keylime_5
08-23-2011, 05:49 PM
I know the Bills loved him last year and really wanted to draft him before McDaneils did stupidness. But I don't think the Broncos will trade him this year after paying him the $6M bonus unless they get a really good offer.

Caulibflower
08-23-2011, 05:53 PM
I wonder what it'd be like if they basically had him running the ball out of the wildcat primarily, and handing it off (super run-heavy, in other words) and used him less like a sometimes-running QB and more like a fullback who threw the ball 250-300 times a season along with a couple hundred carries. That'd be pretty wild, but... That's kind of what Time Tebow is to me. It's really all about whether he'd be able to avoid injuries doing that. I have to think if Michael Vick can carry 200 times, the much bigger Tebow could, too. But then again, Vick is making people miss, and Tebow... hits people.

bucfan12
08-23-2011, 05:55 PM
Why not Oakland or Miami?

I kid.

But seriously, what would Denver's asking price be for a former 2010 1st round pick? Suffer a huge loss and take a late rounder? I don't think teams will spend a 2 or 3, or even 4th rounder for him. Still a HUGE project.

Caulibflower
08-23-2011, 06:01 PM
With Pryor going for a 3rd, I think the Broncos can get similar compensation for Tebow. Pryor needs a lot more work, honestly, and doesn't have nearly the reputation for being clutch, hard-working and tough. If the Broncos don't think he's their guy, I can pretty easily see them trading him away for a second, or maybe a third and another player or something. I think he's got plenty of value around the league, I'm just getting the vibe that he's simply not the type of player the new brass wants in Denver.

descendency
08-23-2011, 06:04 PM
I doubt you'd get anything for him. I like Tebow, but a guy who is struggling to pick up a pro-style offense is basically worthless.

Caulibflower
08-23-2011, 06:06 PM
Is that what it is? I haven't been reading that he's having problems with the playbook. The demotion seemed pretty arbitrary, and really didn't make much sense to me given how badly Orton regressed last year without McDaniels.

descendency
08-23-2011, 06:10 PM
There was a quote from an "unnamed broncos executive" saying his problems with accuracy and throwing were not nearly as important as him learning the playbook. I forgot how he said it, but it was on PFT.

I think he said "Tim needs to learn where to go with the ball" which is basically "he doesn't understand the playbook"

bucfan12
08-23-2011, 06:16 PM
With Pryor going for a 3rd, I think the Broncos can get similar compensation for Tebow. Pryor needs a lot more work, honestly, and doesn't have nearly the reputation for being clutch, hard-working and tough. If the Broncos don't think he's their guy, I can pretty easily see them trading him away for a second, or maybe a third and another player or something. I think he's got plenty of value around the league, I'm just getting the vibe that he's simply not the type of player the new brass wants in Denver.

You can't look at it that way. Not everyone is dumb as Oakland, and Arizona for trading a 2nd and DRC for projects/risky QBs.

I honestly don't see any team giving up a high round pick, like a 2nd or 3rd for Tebow. Miami wouldn't surrender that for Orton, so doubt they would for Tebow.

The QB class next year is supposed to be very good, so I think Buffalo likes Fitzpatrick to hold it down this year as well.

Honestly, I think he needs to switch positions. No one really wants him.

Caulibflower
08-23-2011, 06:46 PM
If I can't look at it that way, then give me an example of any other QB deal in the last 5 years involving picks in the top 3 rounds that you thought was a good trade.

Cutler, maybe, but I think the Bears gave up too much for him.

princefielder28
08-23-2011, 06:53 PM
There was a quote from an "unnamed broncos executive" saying his problems with accuracy and throwing were not nearly as important as him learning the playbook. I forgot how he said it, but it was on PFT.

I think he said "Tim needs to learn where to go with the ball" which is basically "he doesn't understand the playbook"

that quote could also signify that he doesn't understand defenses and how to breakdown what he's looking at; not necessarily the Broncos' playbook but rather the opponent

I think Detroit would be an interesting landing spot as the 3rd QB...obviously the price to acquire him would be the most significant factor but he could serve as an emergency QB with the injury plagued pasts of Stafford and Hill and he could also serve as a goalline back, which I'm pretty sure they're lacking

Brothgar
08-23-2011, 06:53 PM
If Peyton misses games in indy can Tebow be any worse than Painter and Danny O?

Caulibflower
08-23-2011, 06:55 PM
http://deadspin.com/5833752/go-forth-and-spread-the-good-word-that-tim-tebow-is-essentially-the-broncos-fourth+string-qb

"Source" saying Tebow looks like the 4th-best QB in Denver's camp. I certainly haven't been watching them, so that's better than my opinion. I dunno. Guess there's gotta be something to it if everyone who'd be in the know agrees, "Tebow looks like **** in practice."

yo123
08-23-2011, 07:11 PM
I find that hard to believe considering Adam Weber wasn't even good in college.

Bucs_Rule
08-23-2011, 07:21 PM
So at the beginning of training camp the Broncos wanted to trade Orton and make Tebow the starter. At the end of camp they want to do the complete opposite?

Cudders
08-23-2011, 07:22 PM
Buffalo is by far the most intriguing trade partner to me.

Chan Gailey supposedly wants to run a wide-open, spread-based offensive scheme. While every team incorporates certain spread concepts, Gailey seems pretty set on featuring it as his base. If the rumors about Tebow struggling to adapt to a pro-style offense are true, it might be in his best interest to be in a more "unconventional" system that is tailored to his specific skill set. I mean, Gailey made Tyler Thigpen look serviceable in Kansas City in late 2008 and Ryan Fitzpatrick could still be a capable bridge quarterback while Tebow got accustomed with the nomenclature.

(Disclaimer: An inability to digest a playbook is a serious red flag no matter what. If Tebow's prospects are tied to playing in a system similar to the one he ran at Florida, it doesn't speak much for his chances of succeeding in pro football. If we're to trust that the Broncos coaching staff is competent and justified in their relegation of Tebow to third-string, then being passed over for Brady Quinn is a bad omen. That said, Tebow's stock is at an all-time low and the Broncos would likely have to incur a huge loss in value if they traded him right now. Normally, I would say patience is a virtue in these kind of developmental matters, but Tebow is a victim of regime turnover. John Fox and John Elway aren't married to Tim Tebow in the slightest.)

shylo3716
08-23-2011, 08:28 PM
Tebow is officially a WASTED Draft pick. Me personally I don't like him as a QB, but he is one helluva LEADER by far. I think his situation is kind of messed up due to the fact he was a starter last year and brought in as a 1st Rounder. You just don't draft a guy in the 1st especially a QB, just to sit him unless you have an ELITE guy ahead of him. I understand they have Quinn who was a 1st Rounder also, but what message is being sent to Tebow who came into the season thinking positive outcomes?

bucfan12
08-23-2011, 09:33 PM
Buffalo is by far the most intriguing trade partner to me.

Chan Gailey supposedly wants to run a wide-open, spread-based offensive scheme. While every team incorporates certain spread concepts, Gailey seems pretty set on featuring it as his base. If the rumors about Tebow struggling to adapt to a pro-style offense are true, it might be in his best interest to be in a more "unconventional" system that is tailored to his specific skill set. I mean, Gailey made Tyler Thigpen look serviceable in Kansas City in late 2008 and Ryan Fitzpatrick could still be a capable bridge quarterback while Tebow got accustomed with the nomenclature.

(Disclaimer: An inability to digest a playbook is a serious red flag no matter what. If Tebow's prospects are tied to playing in a system similar to the one he ran at Florida, it doesn't speak much for his chances of succeeding in pro football. If we're to trust that the Broncos coaching staff is competent and justified in their relegation of Tebow to third-string, then being passed over for Brady Quinn is a bad omen. That said, Tebow's stock is at an all-time low and the Broncos would likely have to incur a huge loss in value if they traded him right now. Normally, I would say patience is a virtue in these kind of developmental matters, but Tebow is a victim of regime turnover. John Fox and John Elway aren't married to Tim Tebow in the slightest.)

And that is why Chan Gailey isn't going to last long in Buffalo. The 'Spread' option doesn't work.

I like the defense he's building, but seriously, they have no threat at RB, CJ Spiller at 9 in 2010 was a terrible pick, almost as bad as the Dolphins taking Ted Ginn Jr that early.

Fitzpatrick is a good QB, but he can't carry that offense on his back.

I don't think they trade for Tebow, unless it's for a 5th round pick.

Drebell25
08-23-2011, 09:56 PM
You guys are giving up on Tebow to soon I can bet by the end of this season he will be starting for the Broncos. I can predict the same thing that happened last year is gonna happen again. Yea Orton is more accurate and reads defenses better but honestly me being a Bronco fan Orton isnt really gonna do it for us. I seen a play during the preseason where Orton just literary sat down when the pocket collapsed. I was like WTF i would have Tebow over Orton anyday. Yea Tebow cant throw a good spiral or hes not accurate but he can win a ball game he showed that through college and the ending half of last year. Last year he brought the team back a few times its just that the defense wasnt that good to hold them off. I really disagree with the firing of Josh McDaniels and the hiring of John Fox. I can understand him being hired as a defensive coach but not the head coach

49erNation85
08-23-2011, 11:29 PM
I have to agree with debrell on this one.They said Tebow wasn't going to be ready in 2 seasons at the earliest.He still has some time between his end contract.Just because Elway doesn't like , still he is better then Orton not in accuracy but is just game skill.His accuracy should improve and I think that is due to the fact of the lock out.Once he starts back up in practices he should be able to pick things hopefully.I'm a big tebow fan and supporter, waatched all if not most of his games in Florida .The kid has the IT factor.Just because he having a terrible pre season ( everyone does) Doesn't mean he can bounce back.Just watch as the OP said Denver will switch their minds by half way point since Orton can't lead the team to wins.

Rosebud
08-24-2011, 01:08 AM
And that is why Chan Gailey isn't going to last long in Buffalo. The 'Spread' option doesn't work.

I like the defense he's building, but seriously, they have no threat at RB, CJ Spiller at 9 in 2010 was a terrible pick, almost as bad as the Dolphins taking Ted Ginn Jr that early.

Fitzpatrick is a good QB, but he can't carry that offense on his back.

I don't think they trade for Tebow, unless it's for a 5th round pick.

Fred Jackson? Add Spiller as the home run hitter and a big goal line back and that's an excellent RB committee.

wordofi
08-24-2011, 01:22 AM
The guy is NOT an NFL quarterback. His release is terrible. His footwork sucks. Accuracy is atrocious. Do you really expect him to change from what he's been doing since he was a kid at age 24? He should really consider changing positions. He could make a good fullback or tight end.

Caulibflower
08-24-2011, 01:42 AM
... Do you really expect him to change from what he's been doing since he was a kid at age 24? He should really consider changing positions ...

I would like to draw attention to the hilarious nature of this statement.

Shane P. Hallam
08-24-2011, 01:43 AM
The guy is NOT an NFL quarterback. His release is terrible. His footwork sucks. Accuracy is atrocious. Do you really expect him to change from what he's been doing since he was a kid at age 24?

Yes, I do..

Rosebud
08-24-2011, 01:44 AM
The guy is NOT an NFL quarterback. His release is terrible. His footwork sucks. Accuracy is atrocious. Do you really expect him to change from what he's been doing since he was a kid at age 24? He should really consider changing positions. He could make a good fullback or tight end.

Tebow was not Denver's biggest problem last year as a rookie, a rookie whose own fans, like myself, thought that Ideal development path for him didn't see him throw a regular season passes until the end of this coming season. He certainly has a lot to improve upon but he showed flashes of being a guy who can win you games and I wouldn't really want to bet against him doing everything within his power to learn how to be a successful NFL starter.

Edit:

Trading him now would be stupid. You've given him a taste of NFL action and now you send him back to development with that new knowledge. This also gives him extra time to learn a new playbook in a shortened offseason. Tebow now knows what he needs to improve much more precisely, which will focus and accelerate his further development. Then when It gets too cold for Orton to keep playing you see how Timmy looks and hopefully you see more progress and more flashes of his potential.

yo123
08-24-2011, 01:49 AM
For a guy who played passably as a rookie last year Tebow is really getting ****** over here I think. I'm not even super high on the guy but he's not being put in a situation to succeed.

Rosebud
08-24-2011, 01:55 AM
For a guy who played passably as a rookie last year Tebow is really getting ****** over here I think. I'm not even super high on the guy but he's not being put in a situation to succeed.

He's a high upside project who did what you want high upside projects to do when they get on the field, show flashes of their potential amidst the mistakes that they're working to address...what a dick...

FUNBUNCHER
08-24-2011, 02:20 AM
Yeah, Buffalo would be a dream situation for Tebow.
Denver has essentially made Tebow's trade value ZERO unless he makes the final 53.

I saw a lot of positives from Tebow at the end of last season, and I think his problems now are possibly learning a new playbook in a shortened offseason, and not fully understanding the offensive concepts in the passing game the new coaching staff is attempting to implement.

I can't believe how quick people have been to write this guy off after ONE SEASON!! Merril Hoge is really getting under my skin with his constant bashing of the guy.

How many years did Rich Gannon grind in obscurity before he became a quality NFL starter? Steve McNair sat for two years before he was given the reins in Tennessee.
It's unfortunate there's no organizational commitment in Denver to develop Tebow, but I don't think all NFL coaches view his pro prospects the same as Elway and Fox.

elway=goat
08-24-2011, 02:29 AM
This situation is annoying to me as a fan. Going into this season, I am not looking at us to perform very well anyway. With out current team I do not see us making the playoffs. We have too many holes right now. The bigger problems is we have nobody upfront to stop the run(that is reliable and consistent) in a division that likes to run the ball.

I am looking for us to have around a top 5 pick next year. No matter who starts, and no Orton is not the answer, Orton is not going to lead us to anywhere promising.

The difference to me between starting Tebow vs. Orton is winning 3-4 games vs. winning 5-6 games IMO.

You might as well see what Tebow can do through a full season, see what you got if he can make any progress through the year and go from there.

ShyneQuasiOG22
08-24-2011, 11:54 AM
Trade him to the Eagles for a 5th. Two years from now we'll trade him back for a 1st.

descendency
08-24-2011, 11:57 AM
that quote could also signify that he doesn't understand defenses and how to breakdown what he's looking at; not necessarily the Broncos' playbook but rather the opponent

You're splitting hairs at that point. Part of understanding the playbook is more than just being able to draw it on the board. It's about being able to say "If the team is in cover 2... this is my progression" and more importantly do that on the field.

Rosebud
08-24-2011, 12:04 PM
This situation is annoying to me as a fan. Going into this season, I am not looking at us to perform very well anyway. With out current team I do not see us making the playoffs. We have too many holes right now. The bigger problems is we have nobody upfront to stop the run(that is reliable and consistent) in a division that likes to run the ball.

I am looking for us to have around a top 5 pick next year. No matter who starts, and no Orton is not the answer, Orton is not going to lead us to anywhere promising.

The difference to me between starting Tebow vs. Orton is winning 3-4 games vs. winning 5-6 games IMO.

You might as well see what Tebow can do through a full season, see what you got if he can make any progress through the year and go from there.

I dunno. I think it's good for timmy, starting Orton gives him not only some extra time to absorb the playbook better, but also let's him focus on some of those fundamental issues that he needs to correct to reach his potential. Plus with Orton running them into the ground early will give Denver a top 5 pick with it being up to Timmy to play them out of the luck sweepstakes and prove himself to the new management team.

yodabear
08-24-2011, 01:41 PM
Haha according to Michael Silver this dude is ahead on the depth chart....

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/66/663760.jpg

AKA............the dude with the most interception in Big Ten History.

AKA............the dude who lead a team to a 1-11 record with Minnesota when Tebow was 12-1 with Florida.

Babylon
08-24-2011, 02:30 PM
Saw a comment where Boomer Esiason said Tebow didnt have the arm to be an NFL QB. First reaction was you didnt have a canon for an arm either Boomer but that didnt stop you from cobbling out a nice career. Second, stick to doing game commentary and let a second year QB work his way through things, he mentioned the extra stuff that comes with Tebow (religion) and pointed out that shouldnt cloud people's judgement. My guess is that's exactly where Esiason is coming from.

Unbiased
08-24-2011, 02:35 PM
Saw a comment where Boomer Esiason said Tebow didnt have the arm to be an NFL QB. First reaction was you didnt have a canon for an arm either Boomer but that didnt stop you from cobbling out a nice career. Second, stick to doing game commentary and let a second year QB work his way through things, he mentioned the extra stuff that comes with Tebow (religion) and pointed out that shouldnt cloud people's judgement. My guess is that's exactly where Esiason is coming from.

I don't even know why every analyst is talking about him. He's a 3rd string QB. let him fall into oblivion. No one's coming out with reports about Max Hall or Tyler Palko never being a franchise QB. Just let Tebow fall of the face of the earth.

Babylon
08-24-2011, 03:16 PM
I don't even know why every analyst is talking about him. He's a 3rd string QB. let him fall into oblivion. No one's coming out with reports about Max Hall or Tyler Palko never being a franchise QB. Just let Tebow fall of the face of the earth.

I think he gets the press no matter what he does because he was arguably one of the top college QBs of alltime. I'd actually like to see him in
Seattle over the two boobs they have there.

Shane P. Hallam
08-24-2011, 03:17 PM

Neither of them were first round picks a year and a half ago...

wordofi
08-24-2011, 04:41 PM
Yes, I do..

He spent hour upon hour upon hour before the 2010 draft working on his release. He actually looked good in the drills at the combine and pro day. However, as expected, he's reverts to his ****** wind-up release in games because it's what he's been doing since he was a kid. It's just simply not natural to expect him to pull a complete 180 in his throwing motion when he is 24 years old.

I've seen the tape. He requires an impeccably clean pocket just to make a good pass and step into his throws. He needs a good 5 yards of space to make his throws, or else he's screwed.

tjsunstein
08-24-2011, 04:45 PM
I hope he finds a way out of Denver.

tjsunstein
08-24-2011, 05:29 PM
It's not the place for him. The system isn't his strength, and the coaching staff and front office have no ties to him. He was an old regime's pick so this one can basically do as they will with him without being held responsible for his lack of production. Isn't how it works in the NFL?

niel89
08-24-2011, 05:35 PM
I'm glad he is the 3rd QB right now. He is supposed to be a minimum 3 year project and now people are complaining because he isn't a starter after his rookie season and a lockout shortened offseason.

I think that not having an offseason with the coaches really set him back a fair amount. He is a guy who really needs the coaches to work with him and to show him what he needs to be doing to be successful. Him working out on his own is not nearly the same as working with coaches, especially with the mental part of the game. I guarantee that a full offseason with OTAs and mini camps the guy will show significant improvement. That first offseason is a huge part of young guys developing.

Last year his numbers weren't that bad, but the game plans were really safe. I broke down every play from the Houston game and he only had like 5 actual semi challenging throws. Possibly the most screens that I've seen in a game also, bubble and RBs screens all day. He also tucked the ball on a good amount of plays, including the go ahead score in the 4th. He just didn't do that much in the game, even against one of the worst secondaries.

I really wish he just wasn't popular. The media constantly talks about him because a ton of people want to hear about him, but to everyone else its just overbearing at times. The guy just needs to hold a clipboard for another 2 years and work on his craft. Throwing him in there to "see what you have with him" isn't going to work. He won't look that different than he did last year. He just isn't ready, physically (in his mechanics) or mentally. He has the physical tools in height, weight and arm strength ( I actually thought he had the best deep ball in his draft), but he still is a major project that really just needs to be forgotten about for another 2 year.

shinzo123
08-24-2011, 06:14 PM
He is a @#$@ing sophomore....

Mr. Goosemahn
08-24-2011, 06:23 PM
I'd take him in Pittsburgh for a late pick.

Everyone knew he was going to be a project player, in fact probably the biggest project player in a while, but apparently they've all forgotten this now.

One season and one lockout later, and everyone wants him gone. Sheesh. If he still sucks in three more years, then yeah, he completely failed, but saying he's not a great QB right now and wanting him gone is ignoring everything people said about him before the draft last year.

There's way too much pressure on him to perform in Denver right now, mainly because he was a first round QB and those guys are supposed to play well early on.

In any case, back to Pittsburgh, I'd take him and have him as the #3 QB while still using him in some special wildcat packages or something. There's no point in ignoring his ability to run, that translates with greater ease than passing. Have him learn from Roethlisberger, who also likes to run and take hits, and Leftwich, who also has a disgusting throwing motion, and see what happens.

Rosebud
08-24-2011, 06:34 PM
He spent hour upon hour upon hour before the 2010 draft working on his release. He actually looked good in the drills at the combine and pro day. However, as expected, he's reverts to his ****** wind-up release in games because it's what he's been doing since he was a kid. It's just simply not natural to expect him to pull a complete 180 in his throwing motion when he is 24 years old.

I've seen the tape. He requires an impeccably clean pocket just to make a good pass and step into his throws. He needs a good 5 yards of space to make his throws, or else he's screwed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_memory
...it takes time to develop...

Ness
08-24-2011, 06:38 PM
I don't think he should have been drafted that high, but at the same time I don't believe there is absolutely zero hope for him like a lot of people are saying. No one was criticizing his accuracy last season when he started a few games. And we've all seen much, much worse.

wordofi
08-24-2011, 07:26 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muscle_memory
...it takes time to develop...

Time he doesn't have. He's not going to be able to get enough reps during games to correct his throwing motion.

Rosebud
08-24-2011, 07:30 PM
Time he doesn't have. He's not going to be able to get enough reps during games to correct his throwing motion.

He doesn't need game time reps. He needs to rewire his instincts when throwing the ball. He just needs to spend hours throwing footballs with the more shortened deliver he showed at the combine without the pressure of everything else that goes into being an NFL QB distracting him and forcing him to revert to his old instincts. That's why the more he sits, the better a QB he'll be.

J-Mike88
08-24-2011, 07:42 PM
Why such a rush to judge & crucify this kid?
He's got one season under his belt, and his stats were no worse than rookie stats of:
-Aikman
-Elway
-Young
-Favre
-Manning

Now each was a different situation, as they all are. Again, those 5 weren't judged so soon -as many are with Tebow (actually Favre was as Atlanta traded him after his rookie year, feeling he didn't have an NFL future).

wordofi
08-24-2011, 10:35 PM
He doesn't need game time reps. He needs to rewire his instincts when throwing the ball. He just needs to spend hours throwing footballs with the more shortened deliver he showed at the combine without the pressure of everything else that goes into being an NFL QB distracting him and forcing him to revert to his old instincts. That's why the more he sits, the better a QB he'll be.

The Broncos are simply wasting a roster spot if they want him to be a quarterback. He's never going to be Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, or Tom Brady. He's not going to get the time to practice his shortened delivery. Teams are not that patient.

bucfan12
08-24-2011, 10:38 PM
I think Tebow is loving all this "He can't do this. He can't do that. He'll never be an NFL QB."

As much as I agree with all the analysis and watching most his game tape on him, you also can't doubt Tebows heart and determination.

Rosebud
08-25-2011, 11:49 AM
The Broncos are simply wasting a roster spot if they want him to be a quarterback. He's never going to be Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers, or Tom Brady. He's not going to get the time to practice his shortened delivery. Teams are not that patient.

I don't think anyone expects him to be Peyton or Brady, but he can certainly become a Steve McNair or pre-injury Daunte Culpepper. The kid played well for a project when he got on the field, but he's not a guy who needs to be rushed onto the field. He'll get time to work on his mechanics and really get a grip of the playbook as the third string guy. Then around the half way point of the season they'll probably bench Orton and Tebow will likely get his shot to play them out of the Luck sweepstakes. If he can make some progress and the few good players they have on that team haven't been decimated by injuries by that point he might play them out of the Luck sweepstakes and give himself a year to show what he can do. If he can't play them out of the Luck sweepstakes you're right that he'll be replaced as the QB OTF and traded if he can't win the starting spot and hold it until Luck's ready.

fear the elf
08-25-2011, 12:35 PM
I don't think anyone expects him to be Peyton or Brady, but he can certainly become a Steve McNair or pre-injury Daunte Culpepper.

Agreed. It's a little unfair to ask him to be as good as two sure-fire HoF'ers.

CC.SD
08-25-2011, 07:13 PM
I don't think anyone expects him to be Peyton or Brady, but he can certainly become a Steve McNair or pre-injury Daunte Culpepper.

Honestly I should let this go, it's so nitpicky, but this is a pretty big stretch. McNair was an MVP and there's a case there for Canton, even if it's not foolproof. Culpepper, even without Moss, spent a few seasons as a gamebreaker at QB and deserves more than this comparison. Tebow is not up there with those guys either.

I could see him getting to the Kordell Stewart echelon with a lot of work.

Rosebud
08-25-2011, 07:28 PM
Honestly I should let this go, it's so nitpicky, but this is a pretty big stretch. McNair was an MVP and there's a case there for Canton, even if it's not foolproof. Culpepper, even without Moss, spent a few seasons as a gamebreaker at QB and deserves more than this comparison. Tebow is not up there with those guys either.

I could see him getting to the Kordell Stewart echelon with a lot of work.

*shrug* McNair made huge strides as a passer during his career before getting to that MVP level. If Tebow is given that much time and consistently improves I do think he can become that good but to me that's his ceiling and why I liked him as a prospect. I think that's his potential if he gets to work out his mechanics the way McNair did. And I always thought C-pep was over-rated while he played and was just a good QB in an era that was not nearly as deep as the position is now.

I didn't mean for that post to imply that Steve McNair isn't a near hall of famer and wasn't a great QB, but meant to focus more on his ability to be such an effective QB without being the pocket passer that Peyton and Brady are. And while it would take a long time and a lot of work I do think Tebow could be as good as McNair when he reaches his prime. That's why I'm a tebow fan and think he's a good project for a team as talentless as the Broncos. In the time it'll take for him to reach their full potential they'll have had enough top 5 and top 10 picks to actually have a talented team around him, provided he keeps them out of position for a can't pass up guy like Luck.