PDA

View Full Version : Safety class overrated?

Matthew Jones
08-25-2011, 07:19 AM
Been watching some more of the safeties in this year's class, and I have to say that no one is really standing out to me this year. I generally end up liking a lot of the safety prospects each draft, but none of the guys I've looked at so far looks like a playmaker. T.J. McDonald is probably the best of what I've seen, and I'd give him a grade somewhere in the second round. Aside from that, from what I saw, Ray-Ray Armstrong takes a lot of questionable angles and whiffed on a few tackles too many for an in-the-box guy, and I had some concerns about Mark Barron's ability to cover wideouts as well. I'm still not sure what makes Robert Lester deserving of his first-round hype (seemed to be more of a third rounder to me), and Kenny Tate is an incredibly stiff player with almost no short-area quickness who has almost no shot at playing safety in the NFL. I have a little bit more work to do on Markelle Martin but so far it seems like he has the frame/athleticism to man center field, but shows poor awareness, takes bad angles, and doesn't like to mix it up and hit people. Usually the safeties are some of my favorite prospects, but this year I'm feeling a little disappointed in what's available. Anyone else have any thoughts on these guys?

RWills
08-25-2011, 07:49 AM
I find this whole draft excluding LB's is a very weak draft

princefielder28
08-25-2011, 08:08 AM
1. Markelle Martin : OKLAHOMA STATE
2. Ray Ray Armstrong : MIAMI(FL)*
3. Mark Barron : ALABAMA
4. George Iloka : BOISE STATE
5. Tony Dye : UCLA

I don't have McDonald or Lester in my rankings as of right now...it's a weak group for sure...I want to like Barron more but his performance against Auburn was laughable and there have been plenty of instances where he looks lost out there

TheFinisher
08-25-2011, 08:24 AM
Keep an eye on Lance Mitchell, I'd say he's fringe top 5 for me right now but could easily emerge as the top safety in this class.

princefielder28
08-25-2011, 08:38 AM
Keep an eye on Lance Mitchell, I'd say he's fringe top 5 for me right now but could easily emerge as the top safety in this class.

I agree with you there...he just missed out on my top 5, sitting as my 6th favorite safety

YAYareaRB
08-25-2011, 08:54 AM
im sure one of the safeties from oregon is gonna emerge this season, as usual.

look out for Jerico Nelson. 5-10 215 lbs out of Arkansas. classic in the box safety lining up at will on occasion. dudes a ball hawk

BufFan71
08-25-2011, 08:58 AM
Ray Ray Armstrong played quarterback in high school...
(i played with him in pop-warner)

that means this will only be his 3rd year playing safety. give him some time

tjsunstein
08-25-2011, 09:00 AM
I don't think this safety class is overrated at all, although I don't rate it very high. There's two or three safeties I can see being picked in the first three rounds. That's about par.

Unbiased
08-25-2011, 10:25 AM
I like Kelcie McCray and Trenton Robinson. It may not be loaded at the top, but there's some good players to be had later on.

cmarq83
08-25-2011, 01:55 PM

So it begins...

CashmoneyDrew
08-25-2011, 02:23 PM
If only Janzen Jackson could have laid off of the weed...

Really? Quarterback, Receiver, Tackle and Guard look great to me. Tightend looks pretty good despite a top flight guy.
On defense Linebacker and corner look solid.

Center, runningback, d-line and safety do seem sub-par.

bruschis4all
08-25-2011, 03:01 PM
A guy I'm looking at this year is D'Anton Lynn - PSU. He's been a 3yr starter at cb. Has the size 6'0" 208lb to move to safety. His dad coaches in the NFL Johnny Lynn. Good pedigree. Played HS in Texas yet wound up at PSU.I'm guessing because his family emphasize the importance of education and actually graduating from college.

D-Unit
08-25-2011, 03:13 PM
Time to start looking at Corners who can make the switch to safety.

jrdrylie
08-25-2011, 03:14 PM

Are you kidding? QB, WR, OL, DE, ILB, and CB are all extremely talented and deep groups. Compared to last year, the 2012 draft should be amazing.

Babylon
08-25-2011, 04:23 PM

Travis Lewis, lb out of Oklahoma looks like he might be able to convert to safety ala Roy Williams. Don't see him having the size to player linebacker.

keylime_5
08-25-2011, 04:33 PM
there is not one safety in this draft that i am confident will be taken before round three. however there always is guys who emerge, i'm sure maybe one will find his way into round one and a few more will go in the second frame. i think most of those guys this year will be off the radar types though or late bloomers.

shylo3716
08-25-2011, 05:11 PM

Jayron Hosley tops the list.

Rabscuttle
08-25-2011, 05:42 PM
Judging Barron for his performance in a game where he tore a pectoral and he couldn't lift his arms above his head is off. How had things gone up to that point in the game? Cam who?

CC.SD
08-25-2011, 06:58 PM
I'm not allowed to talk about safeties anymore because my top 5 prospect list since I started seriously following the draft (2002 or so) goes something like

Sean Taylor (Dead)
Laron Landry (why)
Troy Polamalu (Fight on Troy)
Kenny Phillips (I don't understand, Kenny)
Taylor Mays (...)

princefielder28
08-25-2011, 07:00 PM
Judging Barron for his performance in a game where he tore a pectoral and he couldn't lift his arms above his head is off. How had things gone up to that point in the game? Cam who?

Barron was brutal in that game before he left, try watching it again...Cam's struggles came from Alabama's front seven and his own inabilities as a quarterback

keylime_5
08-25-2011, 08:08 PM
Jayron Hosley tops the list.

neh, too small for an NFL safety.

tjsunstein
08-25-2011, 08:16 PM
I feel like this post will need it's own thread if we have more comments like this. This class isn't weak at all. Not even close, actually.

QB:
Andrew Luck
Matt Barkley
Landry Jones

RB:
Trent Richardson
Lamichael James
Lamar Miller
Cyrus Gray

WR:
Michael Floyd
Justin Blackmon
Alshon Jeffery
Jeff Fuller
Ryan Broyles

OL:
Jonathan Martin
Matt Kalil
Riley Reiff
DJ Fluker
Michael Brewster

DL/LB:
Donte Paige-Moss
Quinton Coples
Brandon Jenkins
Vinny Curry
Bruce Irvin
Jerel Worthy
Jared Crick
Zach Brown
Travis Lewis
Vontaze Burfict
Luke Kuechly
Manti Te'o
Donta Hightower

DB:
Dre Kirkpatrick
Jayron Hosley
Stephon Gilmore
Alonzo Dennard
Chase Minnifield
Robert Lester
Mark Barron
Ray Ray Armstrong

Which position is weak?

Hines
08-25-2011, 08:56 PM
No love for Eddie Whitley??

RWills
08-25-2011, 08:58 PM
If only Janzen Jackson could have laid off of the weed...

Really? Quarterback, Receiver, Tackle and Guard look great to me. Tightend looks pretty good despite a top flight guy.
On defense Linebacker and corner look solid.

Center, runningback, d-line and safety do seem sub-par.

This draft is really hoping formost Jr's to declare

QB could have 4 1st rounders IF Jr's declare and could be strong. WR....I see 2 elite and then many question marks. I'll agree I overlooked tackles but to me guards still remain weak. Glenn and Osemole are being touted but I find Osemole to be untested and Glenn overweight. RB and DE are extremely weak. I see 1 true 1st round DE with a couple who can break in round 1 but are seen as lightweight alomst nickell rushers...again...time will tell and this coversation will get more interesting I just see a lot of Sapp's and Maybin's in this draft

shylo3716
08-25-2011, 09:13 PM
neh, too small for an NFL safety.

GTFOH!!!! What is Bob Sanders then Papa Smurf?

Hines
08-25-2011, 09:22 PM
GTFOH!!!! What is Bob Sanders then Papa Smurf?

Sanders is like 200 pounds. Hosley weighs about 170.

shylo3716
08-25-2011, 09:25 PM

Since when has it been a prospect not be able to bulk up for the pros especially during the offseason?

shylo3716
08-25-2011, 09:26 PM

What do you say to a guy like FSU LaMarcus Joyner who is an undersized converted FS when it comes time for him to declare?

tjsunstein
08-25-2011, 10:10 PM
No love for Eddie Whitley??
I would list like 10-15 more guys if I didn't think I got my point across already.

Ozzy
08-25-2011, 10:39 PM
Who said this was a great safety class? Anyone? How is it overrated? I never heard hype about this class...it is clearly not really strong compared to the corners coming out potentially.

tjsunstein
08-26-2011, 01:26 AM
Who said this was a great safety class? Anyone? How is it overrated? I never heard hype about this class...it is clearly not really strong compared to the corners coming out potentially.
It's average, maybe slightly above. Then again, I was never too good determining how safeties translate to the next level.

Razor
08-26-2011, 05:42 AM
I don't think it's a great safety class, but I think there's some talent there. Ray Ray is pure upside at this point, but man... The potential alone could make him a late first rounder for a team that can afford to let him learn for a year or more. My guy i Robert Lester. I really like his value in the 25-32 range. Not a finished product of course, but I think he's pretty pro ready. TJ McDonald is another good looking safety. Barron is vastly overrated imo, I think he's a third rounder at best. Janzen Jackson is the wildcard here. I first rounder on talent alone, but the issues he has needs to go away for that to happen. Tony Dye and Markelle Martin are nice prospects as well. Of course, things always look better this time of year. But I don't think it's a terrible safety class at all.

keylime_5
08-27-2011, 12:28 AM
Since when has it been a prospect not be able to bulk up for the pros especially during the offseason?

well it's one thing to bulk up after you get in the pros...it's another thing to both change positions and change your body completely. tell the kid to learn how to play with the play in front of him instead of turning and running and also to gain 30 lbs. and not lose any speed. good luck with that.

No way Hosley is a safety in the pros with his body. Sanders was 5'9"/200 at Iowa and was an all-american strong safety. Hosley is a 5'10"/170 cornerback who is all about making plays in coverage.

Ozzy
08-27-2011, 08:33 AM
Safety is one of the hardest positions to grade, a lot of very good college safeties go undrafted, just look at this past season. And it is not all about 40 time either, some players have very good forties but still drop in the draft or go undrafted.

I assume it is all coverage issues or injury issues that could be prolonged before they get to the NFL. It is really surprising how many safeties do not make it that are very good college players. From my lists back in the day here are the ones I came up with that were a surprise they did not work out.

One could argue it is the hardest position to scout, or at least for me, I am off on a lot of safety prospects for some reason. Guess I like big hitters too much, and those rarely translate in the NFL.

Deunta Williams- I assume it is an injury issue, but the kid was an absolute stud on UNC

Tejay Johnson- Good fast safety, do not believe he has a look as a free agent even.

DeAndre McDaniel- Undrafted, signed with Saints for a chance, crazy because year before he was lights out and is one of the more aggressive and consistent playmaking safeties in the country.

Justin Woodall- Few years ago, fine big safety for Bama, undrafted and never given a chance to play.

Taylor Mays- Still in the league but is not getting the time he should be getting, though some called him out even in college as a possible bust, still has a chance though.

Demetrice Morley- Legal issues kept him out probably, but still he could play and was very very talented.

Derek Pegues- Quick and fast safety, good return guy, made big plays, never given a chance as a free agent.

Michael Hamlin- Still around the league but is not playing much, was really elite and very good in college, not the same in the NFL.

Otis Wiley- Interception machine in his senior year, very productive, big kid, made plays, was undrafted and got a shot but not sure he is even around anymore.

Dominic Jones- Big time prospect, legal issues kept him out and being kicked off the team. Still a fast player and a great tackler, never made it.

Emanuel Cook- Still in the league but not doing so well, fine tackler in college but must have some character or work ethic issues.

Jamie Silva- Actually went undrafted, but has been kind of a productive pro but was odd he went undrafted.

Kelin Johnson- On rosters but does not play, was a very good safety with a lot of potential and size.

Jamar Adams- Bounces around, big kid but never really sticking on any roster.

Pig Brown- Good hitter, tough guy, undrafted I believe.

Eric Brock- Good player, undrafted but made a roster and is hanging around the league, not playing much.

Nehemiah Warrick- Good athlete, decent prospect, bounces around the league but no real playing time.

Tom Zibikowski- IS productive in the league some what, on the Ravens, but is not the star he showed in college.

Dajuan Morgan- Still in the league but has never broken out, close to the best safety in college at NC State but never has had that success in the league.

Reggie Smith- Really has not done much, still on the 49ers I believe, but never the star he was in college at all.

Simeon Castille- Great tackler on Alabama, good player, played with great effort, but bounces around the league and plays little.

Kevin Mitchell- Big time safety on Illinois, undrafted and never really got a shot I believe, surprise because he was a fine safety.

Brandon Everage- Good coverage guy, a lot of hype in college but undrafted I believe.

Ernest Shazor- Really big surprise, super prospect, huge kid, hit hard but went undrafted then bounced around the league for a really short time and done.

Jamaal Brimmer- Extremely productive in college, undrafted and never made the league despite showing a lot of talent.

Junior Rosegreen- Good athlete, tough, plays aggressive, never stuck around the league, I was surprised.

Jaxson Appel- Loved his tackling ability on A&M, was in the league for a little I feel but never got real playing time.

Matt Grootegoed- Star in college, never stuck on a roster or played much at all in the NFL.

Darnell Bing- Star safety prospect, huge kid, but was moved to linebacker I believe, never really stuck on a roster or played much real time.

Guss Scott- Good tackler, small but productive and never really stuck round the league that long.

Dakarai Pearson- Good athlete, good in deep coverage, never got a chance in the league for long I believe.

Greg Blue- Huge hitting, like big time hitter in college, but got drafted and on a roster but was soon let go and never stuck on anywhere else for long, was a surprise.

Dwayne Slay- Big kid, good hitter, undrafted and got signed later but did not stick around long.

Jamaal Fudge- Really liked him, he actually went undrafted but then got a shot on a team and did well but did not stick around for more than a few seasons.

Ko Simpson- Absolute star in college, really hyped up and a very good athlete, got on a roster and was drafted but never turned out at all.

Gary Berry- Super star on Ohio State, very good player and very productive, but never really played well in the league, was drafted but did not stick around long.

Robert Carswell- Barely got drafted, was a star on Clemson but did not stick around in the NFL long.