PDA

View Full Version : Chris Johnson signs extension

V.I.P
08-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Trade request may be next step for Chris Johnson (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/25/trade-request-could-be-next-step-for-chris-johnson/)

CJ2K wants to be paid like a top playmaker, Titans aren't budging. What do you think will happen? How long do you think he'll holdout? Will he get traded? Will he keep on Tweeting? Will he retire?

Pat Sims 90
08-25-2011, 03:46 PM
I think one of them will eventually cave in and get a deal done.

niel89
08-25-2011, 03:55 PM
He'll get his money eventually. He will probably be the top RB but it won't be crazy 'playmaker' cash like he wants. AD next deal will probably be more than his though.

vidae
08-25-2011, 05:41 PM
Pay the man. Just get it done.

bantx
08-25-2011, 06:34 PM
Similiar to a vjax season last year

CC.SD
08-25-2011, 06:49 PM
I was pretty sure we were heading towards a trade request when the owner came out and said 'We won't pay him with the way he's behaving.'

How's he misbehaving again? It's a holdout, there have literally been hundreds. Why would the owner go public against the player unless he was building a case to justify not paying him? Sad, and stupid, and it's been coming since the 2k season. Honestly asking CJ to keep playing on his rookie contract is not realistic and the Titans need to navigate very carefully here.

tjsunstein
08-25-2011, 06:52 PM
They're going to get a deal done but I think he misses time.

Shane P. Hallam
08-25-2011, 07:10 PM
They're going to get a deal done but I think he misses time.

I agree with this.

OzTitan
08-25-2011, 11:35 PM
What do people think is CJ's real world trade value?

I think it's too low for the Titans to consider it. Unless some team does something stupid and offers a lot, the Titans will play this hard I think and wait it out.

I think a deal gets done. Not sure about it being before week 1. However I think there is a decent chance - I think part of this is CJ being happy to avoid preseason. I mean he's taken it this far, why come back now. May as well wait until just before PS Week 4 where he probably won't be on the field until week 1.

BeerBaron
08-26-2011, 12:06 AM
I don't know that he'll get "his" deal, but he'll get a nice extension. DeAngelo's contract is probably his floor, and I think he'll make something between that and legit QB money.

holt_bruce81
08-26-2011, 12:48 AM
Like many have said, they work out a deal but he'll miss some time.

bucfan12
08-26-2011, 01:31 AM
I don't think the Titans nor any other team will pay his 13 million demands. You don't give that money to Running Backs anymore, especially since there prime is 22 to 28 years old anymore.

Nikolas
08-26-2011, 04:21 AM
Bud Adams is a notorious tightwad. He won't give CJ any real money.

OzTitan
08-26-2011, 06:38 AM
Yes, it must have been all that fake money that got the Titans into salary cap hell before - cause Bud doesn't spend real money.

Matthew Jones
08-26-2011, 08:06 AM
The Titans need to pay the man, although Larry Fitzgerald's new deal is going to make that a lot harder. If I were them, something around 6-$60 is as high as I'd go.

stephenson86
08-26-2011, 09:30 AM
The Titans need to pay the man, although Larry Fitzgerald's new deal is going to make that a lot harder. If I were them, something around 6-$60 is as high as I'd go.

Agree, 10 million a year is his ceiling.

BuckNaked
08-26-2011, 09:38 AM
My fantasy team will cease to exist with his absence so he better ******* agree to a deal.

jth1331
08-26-2011, 09:42 AM
Like others said, I wouldn't even come close to paying him top player in the NFL money. RB's are "easily" replaceable now and their careers are a lot shorter than any other player.
Look at Edgerrin James. He scored a massive deal and did crap with the Cardinals.

bucfan12
08-26-2011, 10:11 AM
Exactly. Don't expect the Titans to pull a trade off for him, unless they except a 2nd round pick. No team is willing to trade a 1st for RB and pay him his asking price of 13 million a year, for a guy going into his 4th season and plays the most brutal position in football. He's got about what, maybe 2 years left of being a feature back before needing to split carries?

Teams are going with a 2 back rotation anymore to help running backs extend there career past 5 years now a days. RBs don't get paid 13 million. Running Backs don't even get taken high in the 1st round anymore as well.

bucfan12
08-26-2011, 10:11 AM
Titans can thank the Panthers for vastly overpaying for Deangello Williams as well, making it impossible to sign the greedy Chris Johnson.

Rosebud
08-26-2011, 10:18 AM
I have a hard time calling Chris Johnson "greedy", or at least applying any negative connotation to that word when he's been remarkably underpaid in relation to his performance at a position with a very short period in which to cash in. If he plays out his deal and gets injured there's no way he ever makes the money a guy who dominated the NFL the way he has deserves.

Jvig43
08-26-2011, 10:20 AM
I actually think he wont miss anytime and a deal will get done before the first game. It's a big deal now but when gameday gets closer one side will give in.

bucfan12
08-26-2011, 10:58 AM
I have a hard time calling Chris Johnson "greedy", or at least applying any negative connotation to that word when he's been remarkably underpaid in relation to his performance at a position with a very short period in which to cash in. If he plays out his deal and gets injured there's no way he ever makes the money a guy who dominated the NFL the way he has deserves.

Yeah, but 13 million a year? No team will pay a RB that type of money. If he came down to about 8-10 mil a year range, then the Titans will easily get a deal done, but he's not backing down.

bucfan12
08-26-2011, 10:59 AM
That was like hearing those rumors that teams might have to pay Nnamdi Asomugah 19 million a year, but in the end it was 12.

a 5 year , 45 -50 million contract with 20-25 in gurantees seems reasonable and fair.

bantx
08-26-2011, 11:03 AM
you think agents aim high to get paid a little more then they were initially offered? I think so'ssssssss

descendency
08-26-2011, 11:10 AM
Sorry to say this titans fans, but looking at how far apart the two sides are, I say he holds out for the year.

killxswitch
08-26-2011, 11:19 AM
They will posture until the last second, someone will cave, they'll get a deal done, and he'll have a slow start to the season.

DoughBoy
08-26-2011, 12:42 PM
Sorry to say this titans fans, but looking at how far apart the two sides are, I say he holds out for the year.

It wouldn't make sense for him to holdout a whole year. Nobody will give pay a RB that's been gone a year top RB money, let alone top play maker money. I can see it going as far as week 4, anything past that and it becomes the most pointless holdout ever.

Saints-Tigers
08-26-2011, 01:14 PM
How often do guys just hold out hte whole season? Why do people still believe it will happen, EVERY time?

killxswitch
08-26-2011, 01:44 PM
How often do guys just hold out hte whole season? Why do people still believe it will happen, EVERY time?

VJax and Logan Mankins held out the majority of last season. I think that has to be the farthest this situation will go.

tjsunstein
08-26-2011, 01:48 PM
I think he's on the field and rushing for 100+ by Week 3 against Denver. But I will say that he's not on the active roster for the opener.

Complex
08-26-2011, 01:55 PM
VJax and Logan Mankins held out the majority of last season. I think that has to be the farthest this situation will go.

He will hold out longer then them because he already lost a year of free agency unlike Vjax and Mankins. The only way he comes back is with a new deal.

killxswitch
08-26-2011, 02:04 PM
He will hold out longer then them because he already lost a year of free agency unlike Vjax and Mankins. The only way he comes back is with a new deal.

The difference though is that I think Tennessee will cave and give him a new contract, whereas Pats and especially Chargers mgmt are more stubborn.

A Perfect Score
08-26-2011, 02:31 PM
It's really, really simple. The Titans, as an organization, will fail miserably without Chris Johnson, and he knows it. Pay the man his money and move on. Don't get me wrong, I applaud the Titans for their belief in their stance so far. I wouldn't pay an employee who wasn't showing up for work either, but at this point, he's far too valuable to the organization to keep this going. And you people who are saying he'd get a second rounder in a trade are absolutely insane. If teams thought they could get him for a first, there'd be a ******* waiting line to get a call in to the Titans. RB position value may be down, but there are absolutely exceptions. CJ has a legitimate shot to hit 2K sometime again in his career, and there are teams out there who would pay heavily to have him in their backfield. I mean hell, if Deangelo Williams can get $43 million WITH John Stewart and Mike Goodson behind him, there's no reason CJ2K can't get 6 years for 70 mill with 30 guaranteed, which is what he'll want.

J-Mike88
08-26-2011, 02:35 PM
I chose holdout... but the poll only had for the whole season.
I think that's possible because I have the ***** in a keeper league.

I would bet he misses some time for sure, perhaps the whole damn year.

descendency
08-26-2011, 04:25 PM

Except they held out to the last day they could. That date has already passed now for CJ. It was moved way back to avoid what Mankins and VJ did.

OzTitan
08-26-2011, 06:54 PM

It seems about how far away the CBA talks were heading into preseason IMO. Things can change quickly if either side is just holding out to a set deadline.

OzTitan
08-26-2011, 06:57 PM
Except they held out to the last day they could. That date has already passed now for CJ. It was moved way back to avoid what Mankins and VJ did.

Well one line of thinking is CJ at least has a fall back offer of the top paid RB in the NFL assuming the Titans weren't lying about that, so losing a season accured towards your current contract means nothing if he is prepared to choose the fall back.

CJ doesn't really have *much* leverage. There's the skill thing - sure. But he is now stuck at 2 years left on his rookie deal thanks to that CBA change to holdouts. Unless he is threatening to retire, what is he going to do, never accept the Titans offer? that's effectively the same thing, and I don't think he wants to retire.

A Perfect Score
08-26-2011, 09:59 PM
Well one line of thinking is CJ at least has a fall back offer of the top paid RB in the NFL assuming the Titans weren't lying about that, so losing a season accured towards your current contract means nothing if he is prepared to choose the fall back.

CJ doesn't really have *much* leverage. There's the skill thing - sure. But he is now stuck at 2 years left on his rookie deal thanks to that CBA change to holdouts. Unless he is threatening to retire, what is he going to do, never accept the Titans offer? that's effectively the same thing, and I don't think he wants to retire.

His leverage stems from the fact that your franchise is absolutely ****** without him. What are they going to do, go into a season with Hasslebeck at QB with Britt suspended and Javon Ringer in the backfield? Come on now. That is CJ2K's team, and he's gone above and beyond what was expected of him when he signed that rookie salary.

TitanHope
08-26-2011, 10:51 PM
His leverage stems from the fact that your franchise is absolutely ****** without him. What are they going to do, go into a season with Hasslebeck at QB with Britt suspended and Javon Ringer in the backfield? Come on now. That is CJ2K's team, and he's gone above and beyond what was expected of him when he signed that rookie salary.

The year CJ rushed for 2,000 yards and broke Faulk's YFS record, the Titans went 8-8. In the game against NE, one of the worst defeats in NFL history, CJ ran for 125 yards. In the first game against Houston, he rushed for 197 yards and they still lost. He's breaking records and the Titans aren't winning, so where's the value? He was healthy all last year and was 4th in rushing, yet the Titans went 6-10. So pay him between $50-$70 million so the loss doesn't look as bad?

This is my opinion: If the Titans are going to be bad without CJ, then they'll be bad no matter if they're with or without CJ. If they are going to be average without CJ, then adding CJ will be immensely important as his homeruns could single handedly help win games. If the Titans are going to be good without CJ, then adding CJ could put them over the top playoffs wise, but his value isn't as much as his value for the average team since the team can win without him.

CJ is special, and he absolutely deserves the money. But elite RB's aren't conducive to winning if the team is bad, and you said yourself that outside of CJ, the Titans don't have anyone. It's tough to shell out an immense amount of money for a guy that has less importance towards winning than solid QB and defensive play. I think the Titans do have leverage, even if CJ is by far the best player. They can simply look at him and say, "You've rushed for more yards than any other RB since you entered the leauge. Yet, the team is 27-21 in that span (Or if you exclude the 13-3 year, and only use CJ's two most recent seasons, both of which were his best statistically, the Titans are 14-18), with only one playoff appearance which was a loss."

Now, this is not to say I disagree that CJ deserves a massive contract. In the Titans forum, I suggested 5 yrs/$50 million/$30 million gtd. He absolutely gives the Titans a better chance to win, and once the team reaches the average status or good status, his value skyrockets, so as a building block for the future, it's worth extending him if the current team is poor. But as of yet and currently, CJ2K doesn't juzt winz gamezzzzzz. And I think that gives the Titans good leverage, since winning is what ultimately matters to them.

V.I.P
08-26-2011, 11:20 PM
The year CJ rushed for 2,000 yards and broke Faulk's YFS record, the Titans went 8-8. In the game against NE, one of the worst defeats in NFL history, CJ ran for 125 yards. In the first game against Houston, he rushed for 197 yards and they still lost. He's breaking records and the Titans aren't winning, so where's the value? He was healthy all last year and was 4th in rushing, yet the Titans went 6-10. So pay him between $50-$70 million so the loss doesn't look as bad?

This is my opinion: If the Titans are going to be bad without CJ, then they'll be bad no matter if they're with or without CJ. If they are going to be average without CJ, then adding CJ will be immensely important as his homeruns could single handedly help win games. If the Titans are going to be good without CJ, then adding CJ could put them over the top playoffs wise, but his value isn't as much as his value for the average team since the team can win without him.

CJ is special, and he absolutely deserves the money. But elite RB's aren't conducive to winning if the team is bad, and you said yourself that outside of CJ, the Titans don't have anyone. It's tough to shell out an immense amount of money for a guy that has less importance towards winning than solid QB and defensive play. I think the Titans do have leverage, even if CJ is by far the best player. They can simply look at him and say, "You've rushed for more yards than any other RB since you entered the leauge. Yet, the team is 27-21 in that span (Or if you exclude the 13-3 year, and only use CJ's two most recent seasons, both of which were his best statistically, the Titans are 14-18), with only one playoff appearance which was a loss."

Now, this is not to say I disagree that CJ deserves a massive contract. In the Titans forum, I suggested 5 yrs/$50 million/$30 million gtd. He absolutely gives the Titans a better chance to win, and once the team reaches the average status or good status, his value skyrockets, so as a building block for the future, it's worth extending him if the current team is poor. But as of yet and currently, CJ2K doesn't juzt winz gamezzzzzz. And I think that gives the Titans good leverage, since winning is what ultimately matters to them.

Phillip Rivers

101.8 QB RTG, 4710 yds 30 TDs 13 INTs 66% completion rate

Chargers go 9-7....So does the same apply, that elite QBs aren't conducive to winning?

phlysac
08-26-2011, 11:36 PM
This is relating to Frank Gore as well. His situation (final year of contract) has been described as tenuous..

CC.SD
08-26-2011, 11:50 PM
Phillip Rivers

Chargers go 9-7....So does the same apply, that elite QBs aren't conducive to winning?

Come on really, this is your example....at least go with the same position, there are so many reasons the Chargers missed the playoffs last year that don't involve Rivers, it is ridiculous. very different situation than any RB period including CJ the best rb in the game right now.

TitanHope
08-27-2011, 12:13 AM
Phillip Rivers

Um, the Chargers went 9-7. That's a winning record. CJ doesn't have a winning seasonal record save his rookie year when the team went 13-3 because the defense was amazing with Haynesworth, but that Titans team had the "good status" and CJ put them over the top, so his value was probably higher here than his better seasons.

Over the last three seasons, Rivers is 30-18, with two playoff births, compared to CJ's 27-21, with one playoff birth. Pretty close, huh? But if you go to the 2 most recent seasons, it becomes 22-10 for Rivers, with one playoff birth, and 14-18 for CJ, with no playoff births. That stretch of 14-18 are CJ's most productive seasons. It's because of his performance in those two seasons that he's holding out.

I'm sure there are some players that disprove my opinion. But my opinion on CJ is based on the demonstrable results over the past few years. He feels he's outperformed his contract, which he has. But the team was a loser while he was doing so over the most recent and his most productive seasons.

And yes, elite QB's are conducive to winning. But Rivers has never had a losing season. Not once. And the only time he didn't have a winning record was in 2008 when the Chargers went 8-8 - and they still made the playoffs! Rivers is an elite QB, and he's been a winner. I wouldn't use him as an example.

OzTitan
08-27-2011, 12:56 AM

There is no doubt he deserve a new deal but that's beyond the scope of this discussion and mostly irrelevant - the Titans already agree with this statement and are prepared to make him the richest RB in the NFL.

It's not like the Titans are on the verge of a Superbowl run quite yet. His talents are welcome but he simply hasn't impacted enough over the past few seasons from a raw W/L perspective to have a massive amount of leverage - just the nature of the position he plays.

At some point CJ is going to have to consider what happens if the Titans decide to retract the offer they made and simply let him sit there doing nothing. He is screwed then. Make no mistake, he wants to play football. Realistically I don't think that will happen because of what it might do to the moral of the players but CJ and his agent have to start considering at what point they decide to come down from their requirements unless he is prepared to never play again, because if the Titans are serious about their limits then that is exactly what will happen - there is no other way out of it. As the days go by, that biggest RB deal has got to be looking better and better for CJ, but I don't think, as the days go by, the deal he wants is looking better and better for the Titans.

jrdrylie
08-31-2011, 01:54 PM
Johnson just bumped up the ugliness of the situation by stating this in a tweet.

"Can these fake Titans fans **** on my timeline I don't have a regular job so don't compare me to you and I can care less if uthink I'm greedy"

Terrible grammar and punctuation aside, Chris Johnson is an idiot. It is never smart to tell your fans to shut up. It is never smart to bring up how you don't have a regular job because of how much harm you put your body through. Last time I checked, police officers, firemen, and soldiers put themselves in harms way a hell of a lot more than a running back and they get paid in one year what he gets paid per half (and that is on a rookie contract).

And Titan's fans have every right to call him greedy. The Titans will make him the highest paid running back in the league. He is going to get 10-11 million a year and he is holding out for more? I guess he doesn't realize that RBs are a dime a dozen. 31 different backs have rushed for 1000 yards in the last three seasons. Arian Foster was an UDFA. Jamaal Charles, who I think is just as good (and dare I say maybe even a bit better), was a third round pick. Any running back who holds out is an idiot because backs can be found easily.

Raiderz4Life
08-31-2011, 02:08 PM
I'm gonna agree. Its nice if you have a CJ2k or an AD kinda 'back but really a solid Arian Foster, Michael Turner, or Matt Forte will more than get it done. The Pats won SBs without a featured start back, until they got Dillon. The Colts won one with Addai and Rhodes, who had a great game.

cmarq83
08-31-2011, 02:32 PM
I'm gonna agree. Its nice if you have a CJ2k or an AD kinda 'back but really a solid Arian Foster, Michael Turner, or Matt Forte will more than get it done. The Pats won SBs without a featured start back, until they got Dillon. The Colts won one with Addai and Rhodes, who had a great game.

I don't think you can put those teams up as comparisons because they had feature players at the QB position. For the forseeable future Johnson is the Titans best and most exciting player. One season ago the man had 2500 yards from scrimmage so I don't see how he is just another guy. He is so much of that offense and without him there really isn't a whole lot else to get excited about.

You can't win without a QB, but that doesn't mean that having a great vs. a good RB means nothing. His ability to take it the distance because of his unreal speed is a huge part of taking the Titans to the next level in the future. The team has a good line, and the in the transition years before Locker is ready Johnson is the key to everything they do offensively. His value to the Titans is worth every bit as much as Nnamdi is to the Eagles or Charles Johnson is to the Panthers so why shouldn't he be paid accordingly to his value to his team?

yo123
08-31-2011, 02:41 PM
"Can these fake Titans fans **** on my timeline I don't have a regular job so don't compare me to you and I can care less if uthink I'm greedy"

Judging from this sentence all of those "regular jobs" are jobs that he couldn't do if his life depended on it.

And it's sounding like this is going well into the season if not the whole season. They're so far apart and there's no sign of anyone budging. Grab Javon Ringer in all your fantasy leagues.

V.I.P
08-31-2011, 02:43 PM
Bet they're wishing they kept that 'Blount" fellow

mwuahahahaha (evil mad scientist laugh)

SolidGold
08-31-2011, 02:51 PM
They should just keep their eye on the waiver wire after final cuts, a couple pretty decent RBs will most likely be cut.

jrdrylie
08-31-2011, 03:07 PM
I don't think you can put those teams up as comparisons because they had feature players at the QB position. For the forseeable future Johnson is the Titans best and most exciting player. One season ago the man had 2500 yards from scrimmage so I don't see how he is just another guy. He is so much of that offense and without him there really isn't a whole lot else to get excited about.

You can't win without a QB, but that doesn't mean that having a great vs. a good RB means nothing. His ability to take it the distance because of his unreal speed is a huge part of taking the Titans to the next level in the future. The team has a good line, and the in the transition years before Locker is ready Johnson is the key to everything they do offensively. His value to the Titans is worth every bit as much as Nnamdi is to the Eagles or Charles Johnson is to the Panthers so why shouldn't he be paid accordingly to his value to his team?

I'll say having a good vs. a great running back means nothing. The top-five running backs going into last season were Chris Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Michael Turner, Steven Jackson, and maybe Frank Gore. One of those guys made the playoffs. Meanwhile, Indianapolis, New England, Green Bay, New Orleans, and Seattle all made the playoffs with nothing too great at running back. I would never pay a running back more than $5 million a year. The $13 million that Johnson wants is outrageous!

yo123
08-31-2011, 03:12 PM
I'll say having a good vs. a great running back means nothing. The top-five running backs going into last season were Chris Johnson, Adrian Peterson, Michael Turner, Steven Jackson, and maybe Frank Gore. One of those guys made the playoffs. Meanwhile, Indianapolis, New England, Green Bay, New Orleans, and Seattle all made the playoffs with nothing too great at running back. I would never pay a running back more than $5 million a year. The $13 million that Johnson wants is outrageous!

This can be taken too far. Just because they can't singlehandedly put a team on their back doesn't mean they don't deserve to be paid. Who are some of the top LT's in the league? Joe Thomas, Jake Long, Ryan Clady, Michael Roos....etc. How many of them made the playoffs? Do left tackles deserve over 5 million a year? Of course.

jrdrylie
08-31-2011, 03:19 PM
This can be taken too far. Just because they can't singlehandedly put a team on their back doesn't mean they don't deserve to be paid. Who are some of the top LT's in the league? Joe Thomas, Jake Long, Ryan Clady, Michael Roos....etc. How many of them made the playoffs? Do left tackles deserve over 5 million a year? Of course.

That's wrong for a few reasons:

1). Left tackles protect the QB, which is the most important (and most expensive) member of the team.
2). There are a lot fewer good tackles than there are good running backs. Like I said, 31 different running backs have run for 1000 yards the last three seasons.
3). Running backs have much shorter careers. Chris Johnson has maybe 5 good years left in him. Guys like Joe Thomas and Jake Long have twice that long.

yo123
08-31-2011, 03:22 PM
That's wrong for a few reasons:

1). Left tackles protect the QB, which is the most important (and most expensive) member of the team.
2). There are a lot fewer good tackles than there are good running backs. Like I said, 31 different running backs have run for 1000 yards the last three seasons.
3). Running backs have much shorter careers. Chris Johnson has maybe 5 good years left in him. Guys like Joe Thomas and Jake Long have twice that long.

But none of them protected their QB well enough to make the playoffs so what's the big deal right? That was your argument in the first place.

And I would argue that running for 1000 yards is really no big deal anymore. When guys like Derrick Ward get there it loses it's luster. Make that number something like 1300 and see how it changes, there's a difference from a Ryan Grant type who runs for 1000 yards without making a big impact on the game, and Chris Johnson.

And I'm aware that it was an extreme example, I'm just saying there are exceptions to your rule. I'm not saying CJ deserves what he wants, but saying guys like AD, CJ, Jamaal Charles, etc. don't deserve more than 5 mill a year is ridiculous.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-31-2011, 03:26 PM
Is he looking for elite RB money or Elite play maker money which means WR, QB, and so on? If he is looking for elite play maker money and doesn't budge then I can see him holding out all season. If he is just posturing for a huge contract specifically in the RB position, then I can see him accepting an extension.

The question is, what high level of money is he looking for? Elite play maker or RB?

yo123
08-31-2011, 03:29 PM
Is he looking for elite RB money or Elite play maker money which means WR, QB, and so on? If he is looking for elite play maker money and doesn't budge then I can see him holding out all season. If he is just posturing for a huge contract specifically in the RB position, then I can see him accepting an extension.

The question is, what high level of money is he looking for? Elite play maker or RB?

Elite playmaker. Which is why I don't understand why people are so confident in something getting done anytime soon. The chances of him sitting out all year or most of it are a lot higher than most people think.

cmarq83
08-31-2011, 03:46 PM

I think the positional value thing goes way to far sometimes. It doesn't make much sense to me not to pay a huge component of your team because they don't pay a supposed premium position. Does it make more sense to pay an average player like Stanford Routt $10million per vs. playing one of the single biggest mismatches in the NFL and someone who touches the ball 40% of the time on offense $13 million per just because they play a premium position like CB. Value is in the beholder and Chris Johnson is the most valuable player on the Titans. Without Johnson that team has no direction on offense, and it will be pretty hard to put fans in the stands with Matt Hasselbeck missing Kenny Britt all season. A guy like Mark Sanchez or Matt Cassel certainly aren't taking their teams any closer to a title, yet are being paid like Johnson wants.

If the Titans get a QB they'll be a playoff contender, but until then they Johnson is that offense. As I see it over the next 3 years they'll be better off overpaying Johnson than playing without him.

Smooth Criminal
08-31-2011, 03:48 PM
I usually have a lot of faith in these types of things getting done, but after Jackson and Mankins last year I'm not nearly as confident.

Raiderz4Life
08-31-2011, 04:11 PM

Think that's a little extreme but, imho the gap between an elite RB and good RB isn't very wide. Give me good/elite QB and a serviceable back maybe 2 over an average QB and elite RB.

Rosebud
08-31-2011, 04:25 PM
Think that's a little extreme but, imho the gap between an elite RB and good RB isn't very wide. Give me good/elite QB and a serviceable back maybe 2 over an average QB and elite RB.

That implies that paying Johnson makes it harder for Tennessee to get a good/elite QB, which I find ridiculous since Johnson will make it easier for a young QB to develop into a good/elite QB.

Raiderz4Life
08-31-2011, 04:37 PM
That implies that paying Johnson makes it harder for Tennessee to get a good/elite QB, which I find ridiculous since Johnson will make it easier for a young QB to develop into a good/elite QB.

Never implied giving Johnson money means they can't get an elite QB. I'm just saying if I had my choice I would take a situation of a good QB and a serviceable RB over good RB and serviceable QB.

If you have an elite RB that's great. Doesn't mean you're so much better than a team with a good RB.

Bringing a rookie QB to a team with Chris Johnson is great, he'll definitely help the progress. But bringing in a young QB to a team with a good RB would be just as good imo, specially if the defence is good.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-31-2011, 04:46 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/Tennessee-Titans-RB-Chris-Johnson-lashes-out-at-fake-fans-over-criticism-083111?GT1=39002

Johnson lashes out at 'fake' NFL fans

bearsfan_51
08-31-2011, 05:00 PM
Judging from this sentence all of those "regular jobs" are jobs that he couldn't do if his life depended on it.

And it's sounding like this is going well into the season if not the whole season. They're so far apart and there's no sign of anyone budging. Grab Javon Ringer in all your fantasy leagues.
Where are you getting this? Recent reports indicate it should get done before week 1.

yo123
08-31-2011, 05:10 PM
Where are you getting this? Recent reports indicate it should get done before week 1.

I've just heard that they're really far apart, I might be wrong though I might have missed something recently. Where did you see that?

bearsfan_51
08-31-2011, 05:12 PM
Rotoworld posted that Jason LaCanfora and a local beat writer both said a deal could be done this weekend.

He's on my fantasy team, so I'm putting positive vibes out there.

Rosebud
08-31-2011, 05:28 PM
Never implied giving Johnson money means they can't get an elite QB. I'm just saying if I had my choice I would take a situation of a good QB and a serviceable RB over good RB and serviceable QB.

If you have an elite RB that's great. Doesn't mean you're so much better than a team with a good RB.

Bringing a rookie QB to a team with Chris Johnson is great, he'll definitely help the progress. But bringing in a young QB to a team with a good RB would be just as good imo, specially if the defence is good.

I disagree strongly with the bolded statement.

billybeejr
08-31-2011, 05:35 PM
I'll never really understand the sentiment on this board that EVERY position besides qb isn't important. There are 22 players on the damn field. Players don't just put the team on their back out there. Not everyone can be Greg Jennings out there. The rivers example is a perfect example. Johnson is the best player in that division besides Manning and maybe Mario Williams. The man is turning 26 in 3 weeks. Give him a 4 year deal. Get him into camp.

And about the "regular job" thing, what he means is he knows he only has a few years left. He has to cash in when he can. It's called capitalism. Buy low sell high. And he's only human. If people are on your jock constantly you're gonna get frustrated eventually. He's just looking out for him and his. His comment isn't worse than Adams dissing him in public.

If I was the titans I'd offer 4 years 60 mil with like 25-30 guaranteed( or whatever they're willing to pay, we have no way of knowing their ceiling) and say take it or leave it. If he says no, just trade the guy and move on and try to win football games.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-31-2011, 06:18 PM
Elite playmaker. Which is why I don't understand why people are so confident in something getting done anytime soon. The chances of him sitting out all year or most of it are a lot higher than most people think.

I assumed play maker and voted for sitting out the whole year. I am not sure any team plays elite player maker money for someone who plays RB.

bucfan12
08-31-2011, 11:02 PM
Don't really care if Johnson sits or plays. He's a greedy POS. Really, 13 Million a year for a running back?

I'd take Adrian Peterson any day over this fool.

bearsfan_51
08-31-2011, 11:18 PM
Don't really care if Johnson sits or plays. He's a greedy POS. Really, 13 Million a year for a running back?

I'd take Adrian Peterson any day over this fool.
Peterson is going to want 13 million a year too. Why wouldn't he be greedy? If I could get more at my job, I'd ask for it too. That's capitalism.

bucfan12
08-31-2011, 11:32 PM
Peterson is going to want 13 million a year too. Why wouldn't he be greedy? If I could get more at my job, I'd ask for it too. That's capitalism.

How do you know he'll want that? He isn't doing what Johnson is doing at all.

yo123
08-31-2011, 11:34 PM

He's just waiting until his contract is up. If CJ gets what he wants Peterson will not accept less than what Johnson got, as he shouldn't.

bearsfan_51
08-31-2011, 11:47 PM
Because he's not playing for charity. Peterson already makes about 7 mil a year, and he's going to want to be paid like the top back he is.

Did you honestly start watching sports like five minutes ago? It's all about money.

AHungryWalrus
09-01-2011, 12:06 AM
Because he's not playing for charity. Peterson already makes about 7 mil a year, and he's going to want to be paid like the top back he is.

Did you honestly start watching sports like five minutes ago? It's all about money.

Wait, WTF? Boycott.

Complex
09-01-2011, 12:24 AM
CJ is the 32nd highest paid RB or starting running back, forget. AD and CJ are in two different situations, AD has been paid like top 5-10 back his whole career, CJ has not. IDK why some of you guys are blaming CJ for not carrying his team to the playoff. Phillip Rivers didn't and his team team just had crappy ST players, Matt Schuab didn't and he just has a bad defense. The titans defense was not that good and the titans passing offense sucked after Britt and Vince got injured in week 5 before that we were leading our division(If I remember right) .

Chris Johnson is so underrated on this board, I can't believe people think he is not on AD level now people think Jamal Charles is better than him.

killxswitch
09-01-2011, 08:59 AM
By NFL standards Chris Johnson is severely underpaid. However, he does not deserve anything more than to be the highest-paid RB. The position is just not valued that highly anymore.

bucfan12
09-01-2011, 09:09 AM

Peterson is a high class character guy as well. Chris Johnson? Not so much. I understand Johnson's contract is the worst amongst starting RBs in the league or close to that, but his demands are at the rate of a Franchise QB.

9-10 Million a year and a deal will get done like that. However, he wants 13-14 million, which isn't worth it for a RB.

killxswitch
09-01-2011, 09:11 AM
God dammit Complex. Seriously. How am I supposed to read anything on this page?

bucfan12
09-01-2011, 09:19 AM
And, also, it's not just Tennesee, it's every team in the leauge that won't pay that price for him, well maybe Oakland.

JBCX
09-01-2011, 11:11 AM
Chris Johnson is definitely one of the top 3 RBs in the league, and maybe the best depending on your perspective.

But what it boils down to is that if successful organizations simply do not tie up alot of money in their RBs. It's fiscally irresponsible to pay Chris Johnson like one of the highest paid players in the league. RBs, even the best ones, are simply not that important to a team's success and they are the most fragile and short-lived players in the game. If the Titans had a good defense and a good QB, they could win a Super Bowl without Chris Johnson.

Rosebud
09-01-2011, 11:22 AM
Chris Johnson is definitely one of the top 3 RBs in the league, and maybe the best depending on your perspective.

But what it boils down to is that if successful organizations simply do not tie up alot of money in their RBs. It's fiscally irresponsible to pay Chris Johnson like one of the highest paid players in the league. RBs, even the best ones, are simply not that important to a team's success and they are the most fragile and short-lived players in the game. If the Titans had a good defense and a good QB, they could win a Super Bowl without Chris Johnson.

That statement has absolutely nothing to do with the situation at hand as at present they have no good QB and there defense isn't strong enough to make up for that. I mean if the Patriots had a better defense and stud young QB they could win a superbowl without Brady...you're talking about a vague hypothetical that has absolutely no basis in what the situation at hand is.

Moving forward CJ is a huge piece to that team, one of the very best backs in the NFL and simply put he is one of the biggest play makers in the league. That sort of ability to single-handedly put 6 points on the board on any given play is worth that much money to the Titans, especially if Hasselback breaks down and they need to turn to their QB OTF, Jake Locker. I'm a big Locker fan and he's also a huge part of that teams' future but I'm not sure he's a bigger part than CJ, even if he lives up to expectations, that's how important CJ is to them and that's why he's worth that extra 3 mil a year.

bearsfan_51
09-01-2011, 11:24 AM
Also, what the hell else is there to watch on the Titans other than Johnson? If I lived in Tennessee I probably wouldn't pay 100 bucks to see a Titans game either way, but I sure as hell wouldn't pay to see Matt Hasselbeck hand off to Javon Ringer.

bearsfan_51
09-01-2011, 12:10 PM
Woooo!!!! I won my fantasy league!!!!

NY+Giants=NYG
09-01-2011, 12:13 PM
The Titans agreed to a 4-year 53.5 million deal with Chris Johnson. 30 million will be guaranteed.

http://www.rotoinfo.com/read_comment.php?commentId=93258

bearsfan_51
09-01-2011, 12:16 PM
I'm surprised he got that much guaranteed, but good for him. Better him than Bud Adams, who is a piece of ****.

killxswitch
09-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Damn, over $13M/year. For a runningback.

bearsfan_51
09-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Only the guaranteed money really matters.

tjsunstein
09-01-2011, 12:22 PM
Chris Johnson got what he wanted.

jrdrylie
09-01-2011, 12:26 PM
Not worth the money, but since he is only 26, he should be able to maintain a high level of play through it. After the 2014 season, he'll be expecting another big contract and will surely be disappointed when no one gives it to him.

bearsfan_51
09-01-2011, 12:28 PM
For those of you saying he's not worth the money (and I'm not saying you're wrong), which would you rather have:

Chris Johnson for 30 million

or

Deangelo Williams for 21 million

I don't think it's even close.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-01-2011, 12:30 PM
I would not have paid him or Fitz that much money. Now that's not reflective of their talent, but the position they play. I wouldn't tie that much money at the RB or WR position.

bearsfan_51
09-01-2011, 12:35 PM
I would not have paid him or Fitz that much money. Now that's not reflective of their talent, but the position they play. I wouldn't tie that much money at the RB or WR position.
Yes, quarterbacks and defensive ends and pass-rushing defensive ends are, all things being equal, more valuable.

But how many times do one of those three actually hit the free agent market at an elite level? Julius Peppers two years ago and Drew Brees like five years ago. Is there ANYONE else? The Cardinals gave up a ton for Kolb and got criticized for that too. These teams HAVE to spend money now. If you don't have a quarterback or pass-rusher to spend it on, I don't really see the problem with rewarding the guy who is your best player.

Monomach
09-01-2011, 12:35 PM
For those of you saying he's not worth the money (and I'm not saying you're wrong), which would you rather have:

or

The answer is obviously Johnson, but I wouldn't give Jim Brown 30 mil guaranteed over 4 years. You know how I feel about paying running backs.

Soooooooo Bud Adams just screwed the Bears and the Vikings right in their manholes. Now they can't laugh off DeAngelo's contract as a crazy outlier during negotiations.

killxswitch
09-01-2011, 12:42 PM

or

It would depend largely on DWill's perceived health. Both were bad contracts IMO but if I owned a team and felt confident that both players would be healthy I would prefer Williams.

NY+Giants=NYG
09-01-2011, 12:43 PM
Yes, quarterbacks and defensive ends and pass-rushing defensive ends are, all things being equal, more valuable.

But how many times do one of those three actually hit the free agent market at an elite level? Julius Peppers two years ago and Drew Brees like five years ago. Is there ANYONE else? The Cardinals gave up a ton for Kolb and got criticized for that too. These teams HAVE to spend money now. If you don't have a quarterback or pass-rusher to spend it on, I don't really see the problem with rewarding the guy who is your best player.

Well for our team, we pride ourselves on running the ball and attacking the QB. So OL is a huge thing, and then investing in the DL. Hence our love for drafting DEs.

Strahan
Osi
Kiwi
JPP

I'd rather spend on them if they deserve it than WR or RB. I can settle for a group of RBs like Jacobs, Bradshaw and Ward back in the 2007 and 2008 seasons. Not a famous group, but our OL made our running game very productive. I wouldn't want to invest that much money on a skill position, such as WR or RB.

Splat
09-01-2011, 12:49 PM

or

Jamaal Charles for 13 million.

Scott Pioli FTW!

bearsfan_51
09-01-2011, 12:51 PM
Jamaal Charles for 13 million.

Scott Pioli FTW!
http://packerchatters.com/userfiles/image/Tundra_Tyson%20Jackson.jpg

31 million guaranteed.

cmarq83
09-01-2011, 12:51 PM
I find this positional value argument absurd. People overlook certain positions way too much on this board sometimes. You can still win games in the NFL by running the football. Chris Johnson is one of the elite physical talents in the NFL whose skills have translated marvelously to the NFL. The last 3 years he has had touches on 33% of plays in 2010, 41% of plays in 2009, and 37% of plays in 2008. Despite having very little help from the passing game he's been sensational and consistently productive.

Not every team has a Tom Brady, Joe Thomas, or a Julius Peppers, yet they all have to spend close to the cap floor. Would it have made more sense for the Titans to shell out huge bucks to Cortland Finnegan, Jason Babin, Michael Roos, or Jake Locker because they play the big money positions? The Titans need to pay the players that will win them football games, and for the moment while everything else is settling into place that player is CJ.

Complex
09-01-2011, 12:57 PM
It would depend largely on DWill's perceived health. Both were bad contracts IMO but if I owned a team and felt confident that both players would be healthy I would prefer Williams.

You think Williams is better than Chris Johnson? Am I reading this right?

RufusMcDaniel
09-01-2011, 12:57 PM
http://www.rotoinfo.com/read_comment.php?commentId=93258

http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/happy/grand/carlton_happy.gif

Monomach
09-01-2011, 12:59 PM
I find this positional value argument absurd.
It's all fun and games until one day he wakes up and he's Larry Johnson, Shaun Alexander, or any number of other running backs whose play dropped off the face of the earth with no warning.

Running backs are not safe to dedicate cap space to and it's extraordinarily easy to get one that is at least average.

Splat
09-01-2011, 01:06 PM
http://packerchatters.com/userfiles/image/Tundra_Tyson%20Jackson.jpg

31 million guaranteed.

Why there is a rookie cap now.

Giantsfan1080
09-01-2011, 01:13 PM
So I guess this makes Ray Rice the best RB out there now with a terrible contract. He's a FA after this year so he'll be getting paid soon as well.

Splat
09-01-2011, 01:17 PM
So I guess this makes Ray Rice the best RB out there now with a terrible contract. He's a FA after this year so he'll be getting paid soon as well.

Also Arian Foster $525,000.

Complex
09-01-2011, 01:17 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lill0imKjK1qdpno2.gif

Giantsfan1080
09-01-2011, 01:21 PM
Also Arian Foster $525,000.

Rice has done it for more than 1 year so I gave him the edge.

tjsunstein
09-01-2011, 01:22 PM
The best stat I saw was he led the league in carries resulting in zero or negative yards since '08 with 228. He also leads the league in rushing yards since then...

killxswitch
09-01-2011, 01:33 PM
You think Williams is better than Chris Johnson? Am I reading this right?

I don't think he's better. But, assuming Williams is going to be healthy (big assumption, but critical) I don't think CJ2K is an extra $9M guaranteed better.

Like I said I don't think either is worth the contract they got. Good for them for banking some serious cash. But I'd rather spend that money elsewhere.

DoughBoy
09-01-2011, 01:43 PM
The best stat I saw was he led the league in carries resulting in zero or negative yards since '08 with 228. He also leads the league in rushing yards since then...

And then there was this...

From the first game at oakland this year.

Here’s the latest Chris Johnson stat of note: With his 76-yard touchdown run against Oakland, Johnson has now posted eight touchdown runs of 50 yards or more in 32 games played.

The next fastest to get to that total: Lenny Moore (71 games) and Jim Brown (77).

I don't care if CJ's ACL rips in 40 pieces, I would give hime 30 mil just because of what he has done as a Titan... 2000 yards, Season leader of all purpose yards on offense, and the only Titan RB to have back to back 10 TD seasons since Earl Campbel.

V.I.P
09-01-2011, 01:43 PM

Another great year, and I expect him to get a huge pay day. We need more guys to respect their contracts, even if they're out performing it.

bearsfan_51
09-01-2011, 01:44 PM
Another great year, and I expect him to get a huge pay day. We need more guys to respect their contracts, even if they're out performing it.
Why? What do you care?

WMD
09-01-2011, 01:47 PM
You know who holds the NFL record for most carries for negative yardage?

http://thefootballgirl.com/assets/images/barry-sanders.jpg

336 negative yardage carries totaling -952 yards

V.I.P
09-01-2011, 01:50 PM
Why? What do you care?

Because i am Bud Adams?

killxswitch
09-01-2011, 01:51 PM

That's silly. If guys underperform relative to their contracts, they get cut. Can't have it both ways.

bearsfan_51
09-01-2011, 01:54 PM
Because i am Bud Adams?
Well that makes sense, thanks.

Saints-Tigers
09-01-2011, 02:11 PM
Told you that him missing the season and all that nonsense was way overdramatic.

killxswitch
09-01-2011, 02:20 PM
So how many weeks will he be out with a hamstring injury since he missed all of training camp and preseason?

Thunder&Lightning
09-01-2011, 02:20 PM
how much will AP get now?

WMD
09-01-2011, 02:34 PM
I don't know who this AP character is, but AD will probably get a pretty nice sized contract.

yo123
09-01-2011, 02:46 PM
I don't know who this AP character is, but AD will probably get a pretty nice sized contract.

Thank you. You would be shocked how many actual Vikings fans don't even know his real nickname.

yo123
09-01-2011, 02:51 PM
Some of you are to the point of undervaluing running backs. If Johnson goes back to his 2009 form he's absolutely worth that. He's an offensive playmaker just like Fitzgerald and this contract is getting more backlash than Fitz's for some reason. Neither of them will still be in their primes at the end, and Fitz's is way more money.

yo123
09-01-2011, 02:54 PM
I find this positional value argument absurd. People overlook certain positions way too much on this board sometimes. You can still win games in the NFL by running the football. Chris Johnson is one of the elite physical talents in the NFL whose skills have translated marvelously to the NFL. The last 3 years he has had touches on 33% of plays in 2010, 41% of plays in 2009, and 37% of plays in 2008. Despite having very little help from the passing game he's been sensational and consistently productive.

Not every team has a Tom Brady, Joe Thomas, or a Julius Peppers, yet they all have to spend close to the cap floor. Would it have made more sense for the Titans to shell out huge bucks to Cortland Finnegan, Jason Babin, Michael Roos, or Jake Locker because they play the big money positions? The Titans need to pay the players that will win them football games, and for the moment while everything else is settling into place that player is CJ.

Yes. The overall balance of the league is undoubtedly shifting towards the passing game, but you can still be successful with a running oriented offense. Have people completely missed the Jets making it to two consecutive AFC title games?

Rosebud
09-01-2011, 03:32 PM
It's all fun and games until one day he wakes up and he's Larry Johnson, Shaun Alexander, or any number of other running backs whose play dropped off the face of the earth with no warning.

Running backs are not safe to dedicate cap space to and it's extraordinarily easy to get one that is at least average.

You're greatly under-estimating the difference been a back at CJ's level and the average back. Sure you can get Javon Ringer to give you an adequate performance, but he isn't going to be able to carry your offense for periods of time the way CJ can. He's also not going to excite the fans or make up for old man Hasselback being the man under center. Plus Shaun Alexander didn't fall apart until his 30's, if CJ lasts that long at this level he'll be well worth what they're going to pay him over that time, n worst case scenario that he really falls off of a cliff one day this is still the NFL and you can cut him to escape his salary. Larry Johnson is a better point in favor, but Johnson ran unbelievably hard, taking insane abuse, and got rode into oblivion which is why he fizzled so quickly, CJ doesn't take near that abuse.

I don't care if CJ's ACL rips in 40 pieces, I would give hime 30 mil just because of what he has done as a Titan... 2000 yards, Season leader of all purpose yards on offense, and the only Titan RB to have back to back 10 TD seasons since Earl Campbel.

And for a team needing to hit the cap floor this line of reasoning holds weight as well. He's been such a huge part of that franchise since he arrived that losing him because of a contract dispute might really piss of fans in a year where they're already going to have to deal with Matt Hasselback throwing the ball to guys not named Kenny Britt. Not exactly an extremely exciting prospect.

That's silly. If guys underperform relative to their contracts, they get cut. Can't have it both ways.

Ed Zachary.

or

You've also gotta look at the first 3 seasons' worth of salary cause that'll be around the time that they'll start talking about re-structuring, either throwing in some more bonuses or structuring it down to lower his cap hit if his game does decline.

Bucs_Rule
09-01-2011, 03:45 PM

A little bit more, that's usually how it works. An elite player signs a big contract, next elite guy at same position wants and gets a little more.

Giantsfan1080
09-01-2011, 03:55 PM
As of now Peterson and Rice are both UFA's going into next offseason. I wonder which one will get re-signed first.

bucfan12
09-01-2011, 03:57 PM
Chris Johnson better be the dynamic RB and take the league by storm with this deal. That means lead the league in rushing if he thinks he's earned that deal. He just got paid franchise QB money.

Rosebud
09-01-2011, 04:15 PM
Chris Johnson better be the dynamic RB and take the league by storm with this deal. That means lead the league in rushing if he thinks he's earned that deal. He just got paid franchise QB money.

So just keep doing what he's been doing for the past 3 seasons? This isn't some unproven guy getting paid for his potential. This is one of the very best runners in the league and one of the biggest TD threats at any position, if his play stays at the level it has been he's going to be taking the league by storm and if between a fading Matt H and a developing Jake Locker they can match him with a legitimately good QB this is a playoff caliber offense even without Kenny Britt.

bucfan12
09-01-2011, 04:23 PM
So just keep doing what he's been doing for the past 3 seasons? This isn't some unproven guy getting paid for his potential. This is one of the very best runners in the league and one of the biggest TD threats at any position, if his play stays at the level it has been he's going to be taking the league by storm and if between a fading Matt H and a developing Jake Locker they can match him with a legitimately good QB this is a playoff caliber offense even without Kenny Britt.

I think the Titans are going to be 1 of the worst teams in the league actually.

There defense is very suspect. They have suspect WRs on offense and there QB situation isn't a good 1. Matt Hasselback is fading and fragile.

Locker, just like every other rookie QB, hasn't had enough preperation due to the lockout, so he'd struggle more than likely if pushed into playing time. (However, I also don't think he's a franchise type of QB).

WR? Kenny Britt has yet to show he can be consistant and his play hasn't yet to match his talent. People are hyping Cook as the next best TE because of his athleticism, but I still don't know if he can perform on the field when it counts.

Johnson is going to be asked to carry the whole team on his back.

bucfan12
09-01-2011, 04:24 PM
Also, yes Chris Johnson is a great RB in this league, but hte amount of money he's getting paid, he better be the savior of this franchise and better yet, be considered a futre HOF for this type of deal.

Rosebud
09-01-2011, 04:41 PM
I think the Titans are going to be 1 of the worst teams in the league actually.

There defense is very suspect. They have suspect WRs on offense and there QB situation isn't a good 1. Matt Hasselback is fading and fragile.

Locker, just like every other rookie QB, hasn't had enough preperation due to the lockout, so he'd struggle more than likely if pushed into playing time. (However, I also don't think he's a franchise type of QB).

WR? Kenny Britt has yet to show he can be consistant and his play hasn't yet to match his talent. People are hyping Cook as the next best TE because of his athleticism, but I still don't know if he can perform on the field when it counts.

Johnson is going to be asked to carry the whole team on his back.

I agree that the team around him sucks right now, but that's even more leverage for Johnson in this negotiation. The Titans have very little to sell to their fans if Johnson weren't a part of that squad and he will be probably the single biggest thing keeping them from a top 5 pick. That makes him more valuable to the Titans, not less.

Plus that team has the young talent that they need to mature over the next couple years, and having a guy like Johnson there makes that a much easier process. Especially if he comes back now a good soldier, taking on the responsibility of the leadership role his salary regularly is connected to and can get a young troubled kid like Kenny Britt to get his head screwed on straight and play as well as he does occassionally regularly without getting into off the field trouble.

Either way Chris Johnson makes it so much easier for Locker to go out there and focus on learning from his mistakes because A) you can expand his role in the offense slowly, B) Johnson can pull scores out of his ass to cover up for some of Locker's mistakes and C) the attention CJ draws from defenses will make it easier for Locker to scan the field and find his receivers.

So that even if the Titans never win a superbowl before CJ's career takes a down turn he'll have been worth this money, for caring them through the bad times and helping them set up for the future, all while staying in position to make a run if Locker clicks early and gets Kenny Britt to stay focused on Football and not being an idiot.

bantx
09-01-2011, 04:45 PM
Chris Johnson is the only player to keep the titans relevant I don't know why people are complaining about his contract. He's proven.

bucfan12
09-01-2011, 04:47 PM
I agree that the team around him sucks right now, but that's even more leverage for Johnson in this negotiation. The Titans have very little to sell to their fans if Johnson weren't a part of that squad and he will be probably the single biggest thing keeping them from a top 5 pick. That makes him more valuable to the Titans, not less.

Plus that team has the young talent that they need to mature over the next couple years, and having a guy like Johnson there makes that a much easier process. Especially if he comes back now a good soldier, taking on the responsibility of the leadership role his salary regularly is connected to and can get a young troubled kid like Kenny Britt to get his head screwed on straight and play as well as he does occassionally regularly without getting into off the field trouble.

Either way Chris Johnson makes it so much easier for Locker to go out there and focus on learning from his mistakes because A) you can expand his role in the offense slowly, B) Johnson can pull scores out of his ass to cover up for some of Locker's mistakes and C) the attention CJ draws from defenses will make it easier for Locker to scan the field and find his receivers.

So that even if the Titans never win a superbowl before CJ's career takes a down turn he'll have been worth this money, for caring them through the bad times and helping them set up for the future, all while staying in position to make a run if Locker clicks early and gets Kenny Britt to stay focused on Football and not being an idiot.

A lot of this makes sense, but honestly, if you're in the lockerroom, how do you look up to Chris Johnson as a leader when he's missed the entire training camp practices nor even spent any time with new teammates?

That's not a leader. Especially since they told him from day 1 to show up to TC and a deal will get done. I don't care that the Titans folded eventually. Holding out is the dumbest thing you can do, character wise, and that doesn't show leadership traits at all. Did you see Arian Foster or Adrian Peterson hold out? No.

OzTitan
09-01-2011, 04:56 PM
I think a deal gets done. Not sure about it being before week 1. However I think there is a decent chance - I think part of this is CJ being happy to avoid preseason. I mean he's taken it this far, why come back now. May as well wait until just before PS Week 4 where he probably won't be on the field until week 1.

What do I win? :)

RufusMcDaniel
09-01-2011, 05:45 PM
Chris Johnson is the only player to keep the titans relevant I don't know why people are complaining about his contract. He's proven.

Uhhhh....excuse me

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/r_bironas_071021_03_IA.jpg

CashmoneyDrew
09-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Also, what the hell else is there to watch on the Titans other than Johnson? If I lived in Tennessee I probably wouldn't pay 100 bucks to see a Titans game either way, but I sure as hell wouldn't pay to see Matt Hasselbeck hand off to Javon Ringer.

Damn, I don't think I've ever paid $100 for a ticket to a Titans game. Not even when they were good.

Scalping FTW!

bearsfan_51
09-01-2011, 06:07 PM
Damn, I don't think I've ever paid $100 for a ticket to a Titans game. Not even when they were good.

Scalping FTW!
I don't mingle with the plebs.

DoughBoy
09-01-2011, 06:07 PM
My end zone seats only go for $34. Occasionally have to sit by a fat black chick.. but its a 1 or 2 game thing.

CashmoneyDrew
09-01-2011, 06:10 PM
I don't mingle with the plebs.

It's not mingling so much as it is stealing candy from a baby.

yo123
09-01-2011, 06:12 PM
34 dollars for end zone seats? WTF. I paid 40 dollars last year to sit behind a pole at the very top row of a Vikings game.

bearsfan_51
09-01-2011, 06:12 PM
I meant in terms of sitting with them.

I used 100 because most people don't attend games by themselves. They bring a car, they park, they bring their wife and 2 kids. By the time you're done you've probably spent 200 bucks for a day at the game.

DoughBoy
09-01-2011, 06:13 PM
I was thinking of my grandparents nosebleeds...ours are 64$.

khorn
09-01-2011, 06:24 PM
hdtv and a case of beer > whatever crappy experience you may have at a football game. Dealing with high prices, mouth breathing fans and the difficulty to find tickets, i'd rather watch from home 99/100 times.

bearsfan_51
09-01-2011, 06:48 PM
I agree, but it's different if you have kids. Taking a kid to a game is different than watching it at home. I don't have kids of my own, mind you, but sometimes I abduct kids from the mall and take them to ballgames.

Raiderz4Life
09-01-2011, 06:49 PM
I agree, but it's different if you have kids. Taking a kid to a game is different than watching it at home. I don't have kids of my own, mind you, but sometimes I abduct kids from the mall and take them to ballgames.

They don't yell stranger danger? or do you swiftly knock them out from behind with a karate chop?

bearsfan_51
09-01-2011, 06:52 PM
Clown costume + chloroform

Rosebud
09-01-2011, 07:50 PM
A lot of this makes sense, but honestly, if you're in the lockerroom, how do you look up to Chris Johnson as a leader when he's missed the entire training camp practices nor even spent any time with new teammates?

That's not a leader. Especially since they told him from day 1 to show up to TC and a deal will get done. I don't care that the Titans folded eventually. Holding out is the dumbest thing you can do, character wise, and that doesn't show leadership traits at all. Did you see Arian Foster or Adrian Peterson hold out? No.

Players understand it's a business and that CJ holding out for a new contract was more than legit. If he comes back now that the team has stepped up and paid him with a complete focus and good mentality he can become a leader for that team. The players aren't as jealous of his contract as you.

Scorpion05
09-01-2011, 09:21 PM
Chris Johnson is the bread winner on this team. He deserves the money...period

TitanHope
09-02-2011, 04:52 AM
Also, yes Chris Johnson is a great RB in this league, but hte amount of money he's getting paid, he better be the savior of this franchise and better yet, be considered a futre HOF for this type of deal.

Why can't CJ be cosidered a future HoF'er?

He's already got the "best at your position at one point in your career" qualification down, only two other RB's in NFL history had more yards at this point in their respective careers than CJ (which shows how ahead he is), he's got the historic significance of the 2,000-yard season and breaking Marshall Faulk's YFS record, and he's already a candidate for being the best homerun RB of all time after it taking him less than half the time to hit eight 50-yard TD runs than it did Jim Brown and Lenny Moore.

He's at least on track, and the hard part's over. Assuming he stays healthy, he'll have an excellent argument to be put into the Hall once it's all said and done.

Caddy
09-02-2011, 04:58 AM
TH you fool. Don't listen to anything a Bucs fan (other than I) posts on this forum!

bucfan12
09-02-2011, 10:51 AM
Why can't CJ be cosidered a future HoF'er?

He's already got the "best at your position at one point in your career" qualification down, only two other RB's in NFL history had more yards at this point in their respective careers than CJ (which shows how ahead he is), he's got the historic significance of the 2,000-yard season and breaking Marshall Faulk's YFS record, and he's already a candidate for being the best homerun RB of all time after it taking him less than half the time to hit eight 50-yard TD runs than it did Jim Brown and Lenny Moore.

He's at least on track, and the hard part's over. Assuming he stays healthy, he'll have an excellent argument to be put into the Hall once it's all said and done.

If he can stay healthy and still keeps a pace he's at, then yes he's a future HOF. Right now, in todays current NFL, RBs prime is years 1-5 in the league pretty much and the majority, after 5 years, lose a step and start getting "beat up". And in my opinion, 5 years isn't enough to consider HOF worthy.

Saints-Tigers
09-02-2011, 11:05 AM
If Chris Johnson has 5 years at his current level, and some decent years after, he's better than a lot guys that will make the hall because of longevity.

prock
09-02-2011, 11:12 AM
Literally every contract anyone signed this summer there have been people saying they got paid too much. From Vick to Fitz to CJ to JT, I don't see anything wrong with any of them. They are all FRANCHISE players who just got locked up for long term for money they deserved. Rookies are getting less money and there will be a salary floor in a few years, veterans are going to get paid more. It isn't like these players aren't proven.

TitansCJftw
09-02-2011, 11:26 AM
After a read through of this thread bucfan12's comments are pure awesomeness all he did was spout idiotic bs and pointless false trash talk and when any point he made became invalid he just went back to more baseless trash talk :p quality stuff

The Alex
09-02-2011, 02:30 PM
If he can stay healthy and still keeps a pace he's at, then yes he's a future HOF. Right now, in todays current NFL, RBs prime is years 1-5 in the league pretty much and the majority, after 5 years, lose a step and start getting "beat up". And in my opinion, 5 years isn't enough to consider HOF worthy.

http://cache2.artprintimages.com/p/LRG/9/936/BVTX000Z/art-print/gale-sayers-close-up-sidelines.jpg

BigBanger
09-03-2011, 12:38 PM
I think every situation is different when dealing with player contracts. I would say that 13 million a year for a RB, in most cases, is too much. But looking at what the Titans have ... there really is no reason not to pay CJ and keep him as the face of the franchise. It's not like he's not worth it. It's not like he doesn't have a crucial role within the offense. I mean, he is the offense. They have an excellent offensive line (maybe the best bookend tackles in the game) and a great scheme that fits both the linemen they have and CJ himself. The guy is going to produce big numbers. The only thing I don't like is how both sides handled it. CJ should have been there, but at the same time, if the front office is gonna pay him, they should have paid him a lot sooner than this. Now you run the risk of having a Darrell Revis type start to the season where your premier player is playing at 75%, missing time because hamstring injuries or something to that effect because he isn't in football shape.

I've seen a lot worse players get paid money they shouldn't get paid. CJ is an elite player, plain and simple. I have no problem with elite players getting paid. Injuries have never been a concern, he doesn't have issues with the law, he produces and he's the best player on your franchise. I don't see the fuss.