PDA

View Full Version : Who is the Better Athlete? Denard Robinson or Robert Griffin

Ozzy
08-25-2011, 10:32 PM
Robert Griffin III- JR, 6-2 220 Baylor
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/506976/rob_griffin_3_medium.jpg

Denard Robinson- JR, 5-11- 190 Michigan
http://www.annarbor.com/assets_c/2010/01/DENARD-ROBINSON-thumb-320x295-23723.jpg

I know a lot of people will vote Robinson just because of how impressive he was last season running the ball. However, I say it has a lot to do with that offensive system he was in which is created for the quarterback to be able to run the ball. And when I say athlete, I mean an athlete that will be able to most likely step out of the quarterback role in the NFL and become a productive receiver. Sure both maybe could become quarterbacks, but really I think best bet is for them to move to receiver, sure Tyrod Taylor is doing it currently on the Ravens, but not sure Robinson or Griffin will be able to improve their game that much to stay a quarterback, we will see.

At this point I am leaning towards Griffin III being the better and more explosive athlete potential in the NFL. He is bigger than Denard and is arguably just as fast if not faster than him. His size allows him to potentially be a bigger threat as a receiver. Robinson is great but what makes him so much better than Randle El, a very successful receiver in the NFL but never a star.

Two very interesting prospects and we will see how they have developed as quarterbacks and what position they will end up playing in the NFL.

tjsunstein
08-25-2011, 10:55 PM
Denard as a better athlete.
Griffin more likely to adapt to the next level.
Make sense?

ElectricEye
08-25-2011, 11:04 PM
Denard might be faster, but I'll take Griffin in terms of overall athletic ability. If he had really wanted to, he probably could have made it to the Olympics as a hurdler if he had decided to go that route full time.

MidwayMonster31
08-26-2011, 12:26 AM
Robinson might be able to catch on as a return man, but I think Griffin is the better pure athlete (running, throwing, jumping, etc).

hawkeye123
08-26-2011, 12:36 AM
Good question.

Gotta go with Denard, what he did against Notre Dame last year was freaking spectacular.

holt_bruce81
08-26-2011, 12:54 AM
I think Griffin is the better athlete, but Robinson could be the perfect wildcat player at the next level. He should be talking to Brad Smith right now.

tjsunstein
08-26-2011, 01:22 AM
I think Griffin is the better athlete, but Robinson could be the perfect wildcat player at the next level. He should be talking to Brad Smith right now.
The Wildcat is dead. So help me god if I see another team invest in a player solely for the purpose of running the wildcat. Randall Cobb is the perfect player for the system, but he is a legitimate WR too. Denard Robinson has no real position at the next level. Robert Griffin could, just maybe, catch on at QB. But they will never find themselves a secure year to year roster spot as a Wildcat player. No one will.

MI_Buckeye
08-28-2011, 01:11 PM
Denard has world class speed and is not just a track star in cleats. I will be surprised if he doesn't become a studly multi-dimensional weapon at the next level. I think he has a leigitimate chance to go round one.

Ozzy
08-28-2011, 01:39 PM
Denard has world class speed and is not just a track star in cleats. I will be surprised if he doesn't become a studly multi-dimensional weapon at the next level. I think he has a leigitimate chance to go round one.That is possible, but only as a situational guy and return man that a team runs trick plays with. Griffin has a chance to become a legit every down wide receiver if quarterback does not work out, and he is much larger than Robinson. Robinson being listed at 6-1 is a strength, I bet he is 5-11 or shorter.

Think all can agree they switch to receiver in the NFL, but if not, I think Griffin would have the better shot at quarterback over Robinson and again because of his size with the athletic ability.

billybeejr
08-28-2011, 02:31 PM
If I'm looking for a experimental home run threat type I'm drafting Robinson.

Griffin's tools are more relevant to playing quarterback in the NFL. I don't even see Robinson as a prospect at qb yet.

keylime_5
08-28-2011, 03:12 PM
this is tough. Robinson has elite sprinter speed. Griffin was doing college hurdles when he was in high school. I think Robinson is an Antwaan Randle El or Devin Hester type in the NFL, KR/PR/WR. Griffin might actually get a shot at QB, though he can be another Brad Smith as well with his size and speed and dynamic playmaking ability.

FUNBUNCHER
08-28-2011, 03:52 PM
Denard Robinson = Devin Hester 2.0.

Can Griffin play QB??

I think Denard has a chance to win the Heisman this fall, but he's a WR/3rd down back at the next level. His athletic ability and 4.3 speed tells me he has star potential in the pros.

SeanTaylorRIP
08-28-2011, 03:52 PM
Denard has him in straight line sprint speed but you can argue Griffin is the better athlete. If he spent time on it he's an olympic level 400 M hurdler and that event is the ultimate test of athleticism and Stamina. Griffin is the smoother athlete and obvbiously has the size+skill advantage. I wouldn't put it past Denard though to become a dangerous 3rd down RB/WR hybrid.

YAYareaRB
08-28-2011, 04:33 PM
i know this thread is about athleticism but does anyone else see the resemblance of Tebow's release and that of RGIII? or i might be mistaken

TACKLE
08-28-2011, 04:46 PM
i know this thread is about athleticism but does anyone else see the resemblance of Tebow's release and that of RGIII? or i might be mistaken

i don't really see it.

YAYareaRB
08-28-2011, 04:54 PM
i don't really see it.

i must be mistaken. it just reminded me of it how he drops the ball down and chucks it. almost like a swinging motion.

Ozzy
08-28-2011, 05:05 PM
SeanTaylorRIP Denard has him in straight line sprint speed but you can argue Griffin is the better athlete. If he spent time on it he's an olympic level 400 M hurdler and that event is the ultimate test of athleticism and Stamina. Griffin is the smoother athlete and obvbiously has the size+skill advantage. I wouldn't put it past Denard though to become a dangerous 3rd down RB/WR hybrid.I completely agree. Griffin is a much more smooth athlete, Denard with his little frame and short legs, has a very compact running style, where Griffin seems to get there quicker with less effort put forth.

FUNBUNCHER Denard Robinson = Devin Hester 2.0.

Can Griffin play QB??

I think Denard has a chance to win the Heisman this fall, but he's a WR/3rd down back at the next level. His athletic ability and 4.3 speed tells me he has star potential in the pros.I am not so sure about that, Hester had sick return abilities, Denard has he ever return a kick or punt in college? I cannot remember, but for sure has not had any touchdowns if he ever did. Just because one can scramble around or run fast straight line does not instantly mean they are a kick return or punt return star.

Not comparing the two, but I remember last year when some though Derrell Johnson Koulianos was a big speed guy and a star kick return man. But just because he was ok in college, does not mean he can do it in the NFL and the dude when undrafted right... Robinson is very straight line in his running, not much make you miss- Barry Sanders- in there, Randle El was the complete opposite of that, he was all about making others miss quickly which was why he was such a good return man I feel. Hester had more shake to him and proved it in college, but will see how Denard does this year in an offense that is not made to make him great.

keylime_5
08-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Well Joshua Cribbs and Percy Harvin never returned kicks in college either. I'm not sure if Randle El or Brad Smith did either, idr. Robinson has every single trait that an elite return man requires with the ball in hands. He has blazing 4.3 speed and can cut and make people miss.

YAYareaRB
08-28-2011, 05:19 PM
Randle El and Brad Smith did not. I dont know for sure but i think it would be dumb to have.. you know.. your starting qb back there returning kicks lol

Ozzy
08-28-2011, 05:46 PM
Randle El and Brad Smith did not. I dont know for sure but i think it would be dumb to have.. you know.. your starting qb back there returning kicks lolThat is incorrect, I am quite positive Randle El returned punts for Indiana and did so quite often, and possibly kicks, but for sure he was a punt returner.

keylime_5
08-28-2011, 06:35 PM
yeah, I recall Randle El returning at least sometimes if memory serves me correct.

Of course no one would have their starting QB returning kicks, but early in their careers sometimes those athletic dual threat QBs might get in on kick returns. Troy Smith was a backup kick returner early in his career at Ohio State.

ericzedwards
08-29-2011, 07:59 AM
Okay, granted, I haven't looked at this board for a couple of months, but what happened to everyone's opinions of Robert Griffin? I feel like just after the 2011 Draft, Griffin was being mentioned as one of the better quarterback prospects available next year. And now suddenly everyone thinks he's a marginal QB prospect? And most of you see him needing to switch to receiver?

I'm just not buying that. The kid is 6'2", 220 lbs., so he's built like an NFL QB. And while he's a great athlete, he's always maintained that he'd rather be a pass-first guy and he proved that last season at Baylor (3500 passing yards). His completion percentage last season was 67%. He's a smart, disciplined kid. What in the world has everyone started looking at in the past few months? Give me RG3 over most quarterbacks in next year's class!

FUNBUNCHER
08-29-2011, 11:28 AM
Okay, granted, I haven't looked at this board for a couple of months, but what happened to everyone's opinions of Robert Griffin? I feel like just after the 2011 Draft, Griffin was being mentioned as one of the better quarterback prospects available next year. And now suddenly everyone thinks he's a marginal QB prospect? And most of you see him needing to switch to receiver?

I'm just not buying that. The kid is 6'2", 220 lbs., so he's built like an NFL QB. And while he's a great athlete, he's always maintained that he'd rather be a pass-first guy and he proved that last season at Baylor (3500 passing yards). His completion percentage last season was 67%. He's a smart, disciplined kid. What in the world has everyone started looking at in the past few months? Give me RG3 over most quarterbacks in next year's class!

LOL!!

I haven't seen Griffin play enough, but based on his stats in the Big 12 on a bad team, it seems that Griffen can stay at QB in the pros.

If Griffen has the needed accuracy this season to satisfy NFL scouts, I could seen SHanny and Kyle picking Griffin as a slightly out-of-the-box prospect at QB.

I'd really like to see a comparison and contrast between Steve Young/Griffin III/Locker.

Raiderz4Life
08-29-2011, 03:31 PM
Damn it....I voted for the wrong person....I wanted Griffin....fml

Ozzy
08-29-2011, 10:09 PM
ericzedwards Okay, granted, I haven't looked at this board for a couple of months, but what happened to everyone's opinions of Robert Griffin? I feel like just after the 2011 Draft, Griffin was being mentioned as one of the better quarterback prospects available next year. And now suddenly everyone thinks he's a marginal QB prospect? And most of you see him needing to switch to receiver?

Dominique Davis threw for almost 4,000 yards last year....and Bryant Moniz a quarterback I like but he is a little small and would be honestly lucky to be drafted threw for 5,000+ yards...

So let us not be amazing by anyone getting large passing numbers in college football now a days. Even Brad Smith and Antwaan Randle El threw for well over 2,000 yards while rushing for 1000+ yards, that does not mean they could play quarterback, and that was back when offenses were not so athletic quarterback friendly...

Sure Griffin might be able to play quarterback, it is possible, we will see.

YAYareaRB
08-29-2011, 10:38 PM
That is incorrect, I am quite positive Randle El returned punts for Indiana and did so quite often, and possibly kicks, but for sure he was a punt returner.

alright i was definitely mistaken. i just said no because its almost unheard of that your starting QB would be a returner.

FUNBUNCHER
08-30-2011, 08:01 AM
What does Robert Griffin have to do to be a 1st round pick??

descendency
08-30-2011, 08:35 AM
What does Robert Griffin have to do to be a 1st round pick??

Transfer to Auburn and win a National Championship.

FUNBUNCHER
08-30-2011, 09:01 AM
Transfer to Auburn and win a National Championship.
LOL!!

But seriously, there's 32 picks in the first round. Griffin in your opinion has no shot to go in the first??

Statistically he was outstanding last year on a bad Baylor football team. I thought if he could duplicate last season's numbers and lead the Bears to a couple more wins, some team could fall in love with his overall tools.

cmarq83
08-30-2011, 09:13 AM
LOL!!

I haven't seen Griffin play enough, but based on his stats in the Big 12 on a bad team, it seems that Griffen can stay at QB in the pros.

If Griffen has the needed accuracy this season to satisfy NFL scouts, I could seen SHanny and Kyle picking Griffin as a slightly out-of-the-box prospect at QB.

I'd really like to see a comparison and contrast between Steve Young/Griffin III/Locker.

I'm sorry but I just don't see Robert Griffin as anywhere near a top quarterback prospect in next years class. He is an elite athlete and can toss a pretty good go route, but that alone doesn't make him a top prospect in my eyes. At this point in time, and I admit he has plenty of time to improve, he hasn't shown enough of an NFL arm in terms of accuracy on the difficult intermediate type routes that he'll need to be able to throw at the next level. I'm talking about 10yd curls, outs, drags, and corners. The elite NFL QB's can stand in the pocket and deliver the ball on time to those guys. From Griffin in the limited time I've seen him play his offense has been pretty simple at Baylor, it's mostly bubble screens, dump passes to the TE or WR, rolling out to hit a drag or corner, or chucking a deep fly. Plus he runs a ton of option plays where oftentimes look brutally ugly. I also have concerns about him stepping up in the pocket when there is pressure, like many option/running QB's when his pocket breaks down his mechanics disappear and he looks to run or throw a really awkward pass to his hot route. I'd like to see him hang tough and show the ability to buy an extra second for his offense while still looking down field.

I like his skills and I think athletic ability and arm might translate to an NFL QB, but right now what he does in college isn't what he'll be asked to do in the NFL so he is a huge unknown. I wouldn't risk a top 3 round pick on the guy because he reminds me of Vince Young without the supposed intangibles we thought Vince had coming out.

Caulibflower
08-30-2011, 01:33 PM
I think of Percy Harvin when I watch Denard Robinson. Robinson is more important to his college team, but I think Robinson's NFL role is going to be very similar to Harvin's; not purely a receiver, but a guy who's going to make a few catches a game, take a couple handoffs, and run back some kicks. Not a "number one" at any position, but a player who can contribute multiple ways- you get him the ball several times each game and hope for a big play.

JHL6719
09-02-2011, 03:47 PM
This is a great question. When I think of the best athletes in college, I immediately think of both these guys.

I think both are spectacular athletes, hard to say really, but I went with Griffin.

SolidGold
09-02-2011, 04:17 PM
Griffin plays TCU tonight...should be a good test for him

ElectricEye
09-02-2011, 09:31 PM
Griffin plays TCU tonight...should be a good test for him

I'm fairly certain he passed.

Griffin is absolutely a legit quarterback prospect and it doesn't have anything to do with his athleticism...although god damn does it help.

SolidGold
09-02-2011, 09:32 PM
Yea he looks good. TCUs CBs both got beat bad tonight.

SchizophrenicBatman
09-02-2011, 09:37 PM
He's murderballing TCU but not in a way that really makes me feel any different about him.

Still, hard to hate on a guy with the night he's having. Even if it's basically the same ****ing play over and over

HakeemtheMachine
09-02-2011, 09:38 PM
He's murderballing TCU but not in a way that really makes me feel any different about him.

Still, hard to hate on a guy with the night he's having. Even if it's basically the same ****ing play over and over
why doesnt TCU switch up the coverage

SolidGold
09-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Griffin has been going with the Rex Grossman philosophy - F*ck it I'm going deep

Caulibflower
09-03-2011, 02:15 AM
If there's one thing we've learned about Griffin, it's that he can make clutch receptions over the middle while getting hammered.

MetSox17
09-03-2011, 05:52 AM

He wasn't having to make any complicated reads or anything of the sort since they were manning up the WRs for a good portion of the night, but god damn those were some impressive throws he made. The touch on some of those passes was definitely NFL caliber.

ElectricEye
09-03-2011, 09:55 AM
He wasn't having to make any complicated reads or anything of the sort since they were manning up the WRs for a good portion of the night, but god damn those were some impressive throws he made. The touch on some of those passes was definitely NFL caliber.

Yeah, that's the thing that's inciting to be about Griffin. He's got every physical tool at an at least adequate level, most of them being better to much better than that....but he's also got a very good feel for the overall passing game. The offense he plays is not a pro-style system at all, but it does require him to go through progressions. It's not the dreaded one read spread option that we typically see guys like Griffin play in. It's very similar to the system that Kevin Kolb played at during his years in Houston....with much different results based what Griffin brings to the table.

FUNBUNCHER
09-03-2011, 09:08 PM
I like Griffin a lot.
If he avoids injuries, I think Baylor could make a bowl game.

Ozzy
09-04-2011, 07:28 AM
Wow, I might have been wrong about him, he clearly looked more than comfortable at quarterback. Originally his freshman year all he threw were tying short passes, and quick passes. Now he throws deep and accurately. Maybe he could play QB at the next level, we will see.

Still regardless, I think he is a better athlete than Robinson overall, but it is surprising he does not take off and run more often than he does, which really is a good thing if he is going to become a solid quarterback.

Flyboy
09-04-2011, 10:02 AM
As I watched him against TCU, I thought in my head..he could at LEAST go Round Two - just too much talent for him not to IMO. Andy Dalton goes near the top of round two, I think Griffin has a shot.

Master Exploder
09-06-2011, 02:11 AM
I honestly don't see why RG3 shouldn't be a candidate for the 1st round as a QB. If he keeps it up, like he has been doing his entire career at Baylor then I have no doubt in my mind that he won't blow up the combine and land himself as a top 10 selection as a QB.

onejayhawk
09-06-2011, 05:48 AM
This is close. I will go with RGIII. Watching him torture a good TCU defense was impressive. You could see the layering of the containment, and he was still having to force himself not to run.

Great arm too. He reminds me more of Kordell Stewart than Donovan McNabb.

J

billybeejr
09-06-2011, 03:35 PM
What are Griffin's ratings on NCAA?