PDA

View Full Version : Eagles extend Mike Vick's contract

V.I.P
08-29-2011, 06:45 PM
https://twitter.com/#!/AdamSchefter

Breaking: Michael Vick and the Philadelphia Eagles have agreed to a six-year, $100 million contract.

The guaranteed money on Michael Vick's brand-spanking-new, 6-year, $100 million contract is about $40 million guaranteed.

Discuss...

Raiderz4Life
08-29-2011, 06:49 PM
Is it just me or...is that a lot of money lol

NY+Giants=NYG
08-29-2011, 06:54 PM
Pay Jackson now..

Then Shady will need a new contract..

Anyone else on team going to get a big pay day?

niel89
08-29-2011, 06:54 PM
He's not going to be playing until he is 37 but its good to get him locked up. I'm sure that there are some dummy years at the end that he is never going to see.

M.O.T.H.
08-29-2011, 06:57 PM
Vick's second $100 million contract. Hot damn.

vidae
08-29-2011, 07:00 PM
It couldn't have gone to a more deserving fellow.

(that was sarcasm)

tjsunstein
08-29-2011, 07:05 PM
That's a lot of years and money. I don't think Vick even comes close to the production he had during that insane stretch last year. He turns the ball over too much, the league has figured him out. He's turned the ball over in every game since the Washington game. That's 10 interceptions since Week 10 of last year. Including the playoffs and preseason, of course. 6 of those in the regular season. He'll never see all of that money.

tjsunstein
08-29-2011, 07:08 PM
ESPN.com reports Vick would have gotten 200 million if he were white, though.Obviously, it's a joke...

jrdrylie
08-29-2011, 07:16 PM
I'll go ahead and predict that this will go down as one of the worst contracts in football. We have seen it before. Vick can be great. But the fact is he is injury prone and has never led his team to consecutive playoff appearances. He has a 2-4 playoff record. Outside of last season he has never completed more than 57% of his passes. He may be the most overrated player in the NFL EVER.

San Diego Chicken
08-29-2011, 07:17 PM
The Eagles will look foolish for this. Vick still can't read a blitz for crying out loud.

Splat
08-29-2011, 07:18 PM
Must be nice.

Signed,
DeSean Jackson

M.O.T.H.
08-29-2011, 07:30 PM
There is a movie script here somewhere, especially if he wins a Super Bowl. I just dont know if it's possible to paint Vick in a sympathetic light, which may be needed for such a film.

Splat
08-29-2011, 07:33 PM
There is a movie script here somewhere, especially if he wins a Super Bowl. I just dont know if it's possible to paint Vick in a sympathetic light, which may be needed for such a film.

If it's an ESPN Film he will be played by a white guy...

tjsunstein
08-29-2011, 07:34 PM
Definitely a 30 for 30 in the waiting.

tjsunstein
08-29-2011, 07:35 PM
Read Michael Vick's wikipedia page top to bottom. Tell me at any point where I should feel any sympathy for the guy.

descendency
08-29-2011, 07:36 PM
Highest paid QB in the NFL when you count it per game (because Vick isn't going to play more than 11 games per year)

JBCX
08-29-2011, 07:37 PM
Wow. That's awful for the Eagles because it's so much guaranteed money tied up in a 30+ year old player with an style of play that is conducive to injuries.

Trading away Kolb and giving money to Vick will be the biggest mistake in the history of this franchise. Watch what happens when Vick suffers a career-ending injury and Kevin Kolb becomes a perennial Pro Bowl QB in Arizona.

Vikes99ej
08-29-2011, 07:38 PM
What a stupidly large contract.

M.O.T.H.
08-29-2011, 07:41 PM
Read Michael Vick's wikipedia page top to bottom. Tell me at any point where I should feel any sympathy for the guy.

Oh I know, he's a scumbag. Just talking out loud. I doubt they would make a movie completely depicting him as some thug, dog killer, though. Pretty hard to do a rise and fall of him without the sympathy factory. I just dont see where that is.

It would at least be fun, seeing them re-enact some of his best plays. lol.

tjsunstein
08-29-2011, 07:42 PM
Wow. That's awful for the Eagles because it's so much guaranteed money tied up in a 30+ year old player with an style of play that is conducive to injuries.

Trading away Kolb and giving money to Vick will be the biggest mistake in the history of this franchise. Watch what happens when Vick suffers a career-ending injury and Kevin Kolb becomes a perennial Pro Bowl QB in Arizona.
The biggest mistake in the history of the franchise was neglecting McNabb of any sort of weapon outside of Westbrook. I fully agree with the first part of your post, but you lost me with the Kevin Kolb pro bowl talk.

Raiderz4Life
08-29-2011, 07:46 PM

I was actually agreeing with you until I started reading the 2nd paragraph. lol

Complex
08-29-2011, 07:50 PM
Good for him.

khorn
08-29-2011, 08:17 PM
Get money get paid.

ATLDirtyBirds
08-29-2011, 08:25 PM
You're my boy Mike.

TACKLE
08-29-2011, 08:28 PM
get paid ninja!

Go_Eagles77
08-29-2011, 08:36 PM
I don't see him getting to the 5th year of that contract.

dolphinfan2k5
08-29-2011, 08:41 PM
Oh I know, he's a scumbag. Just talking out loud. I doubt they would make a movie completely depicting him as some thug, dog killer, though. Pretty hard to do a rise and fall of him without the sympathy factory. I just dont see where that is.

It would at least be fun, seeing them re-enact some of his best plays. lol.

They could make it about him being a bad person and still being rewarded so that the audience is just rooting against him throughout the movie. They would need some sort of other storyline to go along with it though.

descendency
08-29-2011, 08:48 PM
Michael Irvin says it's 50 million too little.

yodabear
08-29-2011, 08:50 PM
Thats a lot of dogs........uncomfortable?

jrdrylie
08-29-2011, 09:35 PM
I don't see him getting to the 5th year of that contract.

I don't see him getting to the third year.

Philliez01
08-29-2011, 10:15 PM
Joke is on Mike Vick, government gets $98 million of that.

Ness
08-29-2011, 10:41 PM
The Eagles should have waited a little bit until they gave him another contract. Just to make sure this isn't a one year wonder.

Scotty D
08-29-2011, 10:46 PM
Vick was basically getting 20 million guaranteed this year on the franchise tag. If the Eagles had done this move earlier they could have had even more cap flexibility. I don't know how much bogus money at the end is involved but because of the 20 million they were prepared to pay him this I don't think this contract is that outrageous.

Monomach
08-30-2011, 02:53 AM
This is even worse than the Fitzgerald contract.

Eagles are really going to regret this one.

prock
08-30-2011, 04:34 AM
Well, I don't see why this is that bad. We don't know any of the details of it. I'm sure there are PLENTY of outs. They locked up their guy. Good for them. If it doesn't work out, I'm sure they can bail in a few years.

descendency
08-30-2011, 08:31 AM
Well, I don't see why this is that bad. We don't know any of the details of it. I'm sure there are PLENTY of outs. They locked up their guy. Good for them. If it doesn't work out, I'm sure they can bail in a few years.

I don't like it because:
1) Vick isn't a good passer and teams will figure out how to keep him in the pocket and force him to read a defense, something else he struggles with.
2) Vick style isn't good for a QB because it causes him to take extra hits and his OL sucks pretty badly, so he's already taking an abnormally high amount.
3) Vick is pretty injury prone as it is.
4) Maybe he's changed, but Vick wasn't exactly the hardest worker out there. I want my QB to be my team leader and I want my team leader to be my hardest worker.
5) I really don't think his playing style is conducive to playing for more than maybe 3 years as a starter. He'll lose his legs and he might tear it up early in the year, but when it gets cold and the hits have been coming it, he'll slow up dramatically as the season rolls into the playoffs.

I like it because:
1) He's by far the best QB they can get. Unless they wanted to play Mike Kafka soon. . . they had to do this. (and if the Eagles didn't, the Redskins would)
2) The contract could be a lot of fluff to motivate Vick into earning big bonuses.
3) Vick is still a dynamic weapon. If he figures out the rest of the game, he could be unstoppable.

BigBanger
08-30-2011, 09:04 AM
Shots fired *****. Shots are gonna be fired.

AHungryWalrus
08-30-2011, 09:13 AM
Holy crap the Vick hate is ridiculous. Like, serious.

This is a man who passed for 3000 yards and 21 touchdowns in 12 games. 12. Not to mention RAN for another 675 and 9. IN 12 GAMES. And one of those he didn't even start (against Green Bay), and another he only got to attempt 7 passes. So he essentially put those stats up in 11.

All of that without even coming into the season as a projected starter, or getting much work with the ones.

This whole "DEFENSES HAVE FIGURED VICKZZZ ZOUTZZZ" crap is ridiculous, too. I mean, he didn't have record setting games against Dallas, New York, and Minnesota to end the season, put he still passed for 775 yards at 60% completion rate, with 6 TD to 4 INT, and added another 200+ yards rushing and 3 rushing TD's.

That's averaging over 300 yards of offense and 3 TD's a game. If that's figured out, by all means, sign me up.

People are too quick to bash the guy for his past, instead of seeing how good he truly was last year. I mean, he was only on pace for a year of 4300 passing yards, 30 passing TD's, 980 rushing yards, and another 13 rushing TD's. So, if he takes a step back from that, despite being given a full training camp as a starter to work with the number one unit and get used to being the man, he may only pass for 3700 yards, 26 TD's, and rush for another 700 and 8.

DAMN the Eagles got screwed.

tjsunstein
08-30-2011, 09:32 AM
It's not the bashing of Vick so much as it is the contract. How quick do you think Vick will be in 3 years yet alone 6? Granted, I know he won't see every year of the contract. His passing wasn't as terrible as it's been but soon that's all he will have. Time isn't going to slow down for him. He's one hit away from being a quarter of the player he is now.

AHungryWalrus
08-30-2011, 09:36 AM
It's not the bashing of Vick so much as it is the contract. How quick do you think Vick will be in 3 years yet alone 6? Granted, I know he won't see every year of the contract. His passing wasn't as terrible as it's been but soon that's all he will have. Time isn't going to slow down for him. He's one hit away from being a quarter of the player he is now.

*sigh*

Has NO ONE seen the contracts given out this season? Veterans are simply getting more than they used to because of the rookie salary system. That's the way it is. Vick at 34 is still going to be more athletic than a vast majority of players in the NFL. He won't be rushing for a thousand yards, but he will still easily be a threat. He won't instantly fall off to a Peyton Manning level.

FUNBUNCHER
08-30-2011, 09:45 AM
http://punchup.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/saddog.jpg

One HUndred MiLliON DOllARs!!???

Rilly???

http://madmikesamerica.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/dogfights.jpg

Dog-fighting ain't for sissies, punk.

AHungryWalrus
08-30-2011, 09:47 AM
Charles Johnson - 6 for 76
Deangelo Williams - 5 for 43
Nnamdi - 5 for 60
Fitzgerald - 8 for 120
Manning - 5 for 90

ETC. He's making less than Manning, Brady, a little more than Nnamdi and Fitz (due to being a QB). Is he slightly overpaid? Sure. But how this contract is such a huge surprise to anyone is beyond me.

I would have guess 6 for 90, or so, and would have definitely been surprised if he signed for LESS than that.

cmarq83
08-30-2011, 09:51 AM
Holy crap the Vick hate is ridiculous. Like, serious.

This is a man who passed for 3000 yards and 21 touchdowns in 12 games. 12. Not to mention RAN for another 675 and 9. IN 12 GAMES. And one of those he didn't even start (against Green Bay), and another he only got to attempt 7 passes. So he essentially put those stats up in 11.

All of that without even coming into the season as a projected starter, or getting much work with the ones.

This whole "DEFENSES HAVE FIGURED VICKZZZ ZOUTZZZ" crap is ridiculous, too. I mean, he didn't have record setting games against Dallas, New York, and Minnesota to end the season, put he still passed for 775 yards at 60% completion rate, with 6 TD to 4 INT, and added another 200+ yards rushing and 3 rushing TD's.

That's averaging over 300 yards of offense and 3 TD's a game. If that's figured out, by all means, sign me up.

People are too quick to bash the guy for his past, instead of seeing how good he truly was last year. I mean, he was only on pace for a year of 4300 passing yards, 30 passing TD's, 980 rushing yards, and another 13 rushing TD's. So, if he takes a step back from that, despite being given a full training camp as a starter to work with the number one unit and get used to being the man, he may only pass for 3700 yards, 26 TD's, and rush for another 700 and 8.

DAMN the Eagles got screwed.

You can't say he was on pace for x,y,z because with the way Mike Vick plays he is going to get injuries. He's able to put up stats because he can do things that other QB's can't, but in doing so he makes himself open to more injuries. I think the amount of games he played last year will probably be the norm for the average season of that contract.

As for teams adjusting to Mike Vick I'm certain they will in time. I can't remember where I saw it, but somebody charted the types of passes, amount of checkdowns, and types of reads he was making in Phili vs. what he did one season Atlanta and it was virtually identical. In reality even though Vick had a great season his playing style was exactly the same as his Atlanta days. So most of the crap saying he had matured as a passer is mostly BS. I think the truth of the matter is he is a completely different animal from what most of the NFL sees on a weekly basis, and has playmakers around him that fit his style perfectly. I think he will still be successful because he has so much god given talent, and because he, McCoy, Jackson, and Maclin are perfect for each other, but I don't expect him to be in the top 5 QB discussion again. I think over the length of that contract Vick will decline.

The market price was set for the Eagles and unfortunately every team with a good QB will have to pay $15+million to keep them. However, Mike Vick isn't a guy who will be what he was last year for 6 seasons. Eventually they're going to get bad Mike Vick (character & football player).

jrdrylie
08-30-2011, 09:53 AM
*sigh*

Has NO ONE seen the contracts given out this season? Veterans are simply getting more than they used to because of the rookie salary system. That's the way it is. Vick at 34 is still going to be more athletic than a vast majority of players in the NFL. He won't be rushing for a thousand yards, but he will still easily be a threat. He won't instantly fall off to a Peyton Manning level.

At 34, he might have the athleticism of Aaron Rodgers, or Tony Romo. Decent but not great. The problem? He doesn't have the passing ability of those guys. He doesn't pick up the blitz. He doesn't read defenses well. When he becomes a slightly above average runner (which will probably start late this year or early next year), he'll have nothing.

prock
08-30-2011, 10:00 AM
You can't say he was on pace for x,y,z because with the way Mike Vick plays he is going to get injuries. He's able to put up stats because he can do things that other QB's can't, but in doing so he makes himself open to more injuries. I think the amount of games he played last year will probably be the norm for the average season of that contract.

As for teams adjusting to Mike Vick I'm certain they will in time. I can't remember where I saw it, but somebody charted the types of passes, amount of checkdowns, and types of reads he was making in Phili vs. what he did one season Atlanta and it was virtually identical. In reality even though Vick had a great season his playing style was exactly the same as his Atlanta days. So most of the crap saying he had matured as a passer is mostly BS. I think the truth of the matter is he is a completely different animal from what most of the NFL sees on a weekly basis, and has playmakers around him that fit his style perfectly. I think he will still be successful because he has so much god given talent, and because he, McCoy, Jackson, and Maclin are perfect for each other, but I don't expect him to be in the top 5 QB discussion again. I think over the length of that contract Vick will decline.

The market price was set for the Eagles and unfortunately every team with a good QB will have to pay $15+million to keep them. However, Mike Vick isn't a guy who will be what he was last year for 6 seasons. Eventually they're going to get bad Mike Vick (character & football player).

Mike Vick character concerns yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Just because he is more susceptible to getting injured doesn't mean he will. Teams can try and adjust to Mike Vick all they want. He will still be successful with his skillset. He's just too explosive to ever be completely stopped, so you can't just assume teams will stop him all of a sudden.

AHungryWalrus
08-30-2011, 10:03 AM

He started on the bench for the first game, and sat the last one due to having their spot clinched. Is Vick's style conducive to injury? Sure it is. It's a risk to own the most electrifying quarterback in the game. But what you gain clearly outweighs the risk.

The rest of what you said is ridiculous. Is Nnamdi or Peyton going to be performing as well at the end of their contracts? What about Fitzgerald in his 8th year? Or Deangelo? Hmm... ALL of those teams signed horrible horrible contracts. OR, wait. You can cut players? Renegotiate contracts? HOLY CRAP.

His completion percentage bumped 6% over his previous career best, and his YPA actually went UP over a yard over his previous career best, as well. And once again, this is without a legit offseason, and without actually PLAYING in an NFL game in three years. Sure he came in and ran the year before, but he didn't PLAY.

Could he step back? Sure. But are there any legitimate signs pointing to it? Not really. Just vague accusations of how "defenses have figured him out" which I've already shown isn't really true. Only, the fact he had a year equal Manning and Brady's career years (other than his 3 games missed due to injury), and it's kind of impossible to replicate that.

The injury argument is much more legitimate, but, I mean, the man is worth it to their team and their franchises money earning ability.

AHungryWalrus
08-30-2011, 10:06 AM
At 34, he might have the athleticism of Aaron Rodgers, or Tony Romo. Decent but not great. The problem? He doesn't have the passing ability of those guys. He doesn't pick up the blitz. He doesn't read defenses well. When he becomes a slightly above average runner (which will probably start late this year or early next year), he'll have nothing.

Well, I'm gonna say in 3 years he will be better at picking up blitzes and reading defenses.

How do I know that? The same way you know where his athleticism will be, and where he'll be as a quarterback. AKA, making crap up, passing it off as real.

I'm not defending 35 and 36 year old Vick. Who knows what that QB will look like. But for everyone surprised by this contract, you clearly have not been following football the past month.

cmarq83
08-30-2011, 10:10 AM
Mike Vick character concerns yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy. Just because he is more susceptible to getting injured doesn't mean he will. Teams can try and adjust to Mike Vick all they want. He will still be successful with his skillset. He's just too explosive to ever be completely stopped, so you can't just assume teams will stop him all of a sudden.

I don't doubt at all that Vick will be good, I just don't think he will be AS good as last year. He has a fantastic skillset, but i expect him to be far more streaky than last year. And yes he will be injured, I don't really think there is any doubt that O-line sucks, he's undersized, has a history of injury, has a playing style conducive to taking big hits, and is going to be in his mid-30's for the majority of that contract.

Mike Vick is also a bad guy. He may have seen how prison cost him, and he might change his lifestyle, but his history is long enough that I would expect him to get in trouble again in the next 6 years.

I don't really hate Mike Vick like a lot of people do, I actually thought he should have been MVP until Brady went into beast mode last year, but there is now way I would have signed him to a 6 year deal. I would have franchised him again if I had to.

prock
08-30-2011, 10:14 AM
I don't doubt at all that Vick will be good, I just don't think he will be AS good as last year. He has a fantastic skillset, but i expect him to be far more streaky than last year. And yes he will be injured, I don't really think there is any doubt that O-line sucks, he's undersized, has a history of injury, has a playing style conducive to taking big hits, and is going to be in his mid-30's for the majority of that contract.

Mike Vick is also a bad guy. He may have seen how prison cost him, and he might change his lifestyle, but his history is long enough that I would expect him to get in trouble again in the next 6 years.

I don't really hate Mike Vick like a lot of people do, I actually thought he should have been MVP until Brady went into beast mode last year, but there is now way I would have signed him to a 6 year deal. I would have franchised him again if I had to.

Haha ok, Mike Vick is 100% getting hurt every year and going to jail in the next six years. Got it. Signing an almost MVP to a 6-year, 100M deal with only like 40M guaranteed at the most important position in football is not a surprising deal. But when you factor in the fact he will get hurt every year and get himself suspended in the next 6 it seems a little more outlandish.

stephenson86
08-30-2011, 10:17 AM
The guy got a $100 million contract, went to prison, filed for bankruptcy, then gets a shiny new $100 million contract, crazy career.

SickwithIt1010
08-30-2011, 12:16 PM
The thing people are forgetting is even if Vick got a bad contract blah blah blah, the Eagles are doing everything in their power to make sure he is successful. Putting the right pieces around him and what not is what they are doing, as well as putting two of the best offensive minds in the game on his side with Reid and Marty.

Is he injury prone? Sure is. Last year was the best passing season of his career but that has been the case with every QB that has ever played for Reid. He will continue to grow and he will continue to develop as a passer. He didnt have **** to work with in Atlanta....hes still learning how to play the Quarterback position.

Like many of you, I dont see him getting to this contract. I DO feel that he will be just fine in the first 3-4 years of this contract though.

Monomach
08-30-2011, 12:20 PM
He's 31 and he's a one(well, 3/4 of one)-year-wonder. 40 million guaranteed is a horrible idea.

Soooooo many people buying into the hype.

Go ahead and sig quote me if you like:

Michael Vick will be universally considered a huge bust by the end of the 2012-2013 season.

Halsey
08-30-2011, 12:22 PM
Don't give the Eagles too much credit. You're gonna need to blame them when Vick doesn't win a Super Bowl in Philly.

Ness
08-30-2011, 12:49 PM
Even beyond 30, Vick can still have a great career. Steve Young played until he was 37 and in his last full season ran for over 400 yards, threw for over 4,000 yards and 36 touchdowns. And he was fairly injury prone in his career. It will just depend on how tough Vick is going forward.

Babylon
08-30-2011, 01:32 PM
He's 31 and he's a one(well, 3/4 of one)-year-wonder. 40 million guaranteed is a horrible idea.

Soooooo many people buying into the hype.

Go ahead and sig quote me if you like:

Michael Vick will be universally considered a huge bust by the end of the 2012-2013 season.

I think the contract will look to be a bad one more from the injury standpoint. If he's healthy he's always put up good numbers but when you cross that 30 year old line and your best work comes from using your legs it usually doesnt end well.

cmarq83
08-30-2011, 01:37 PM
He started on the bench for the first game, and sat the last one due to having their spot clinched. Is Vick's style conducive to injury? Sure it is. It's a risk to own the most electrifying quarterback in the game. But what you gain clearly outweighs the risk.

The rest of what you said is ridiculous. Is Nnamdi or Peyton going to be performing as well at the end of their contracts? What about Fitzgerald in his 8th year? Or Deangelo? Hmm... ALL of those teams signed horrible horrible contracts. OR, wait. You can cut players? Renegotiate contracts? HOLY CRAP.

His completion percentage bumped 6% over his previous career best, and his YPA actually went UP over a yard over his previous career best, as well. And once again, this is without a legit offseason, and without actually PLAYING in an NFL game in three years. Sure he came in and ran the year before, but he didn't PLAY.

Could he step back? Sure. But are there any legitimate signs pointing to it? Not really. Just vague accusations of how "defenses have figured him out" which I've already shown isn't really true. Only, the fact he had a year equal Manning and Brady's career years (other than his 3 games missed due to injury), and it's kind of impossible to replicate that.

The injury argument is much more legitimate, but, I mean, the man is worth it to their team and their franchises money earning ability.

I just think the contract is too long. Who knows what the opt out situation is, but I'd venture a guess that Vick was able to secure for himself a pretty solid deal which will at least guarantee him 70% of the total money in that package. It's a huge risk to make a guy one of the highest paid players in the game when he's played a total of 12 games worth of football at the level you are expecting him to play at over the length of that contract. Hell Derek Anderson made himself look like a future pro-bowl QB for a season too! In those 12 games Vick feasted on some of the worst defenses in the league (Jacksonville, Indianapolis, Houston, Dallas, Washington x2, Detroit).

As it stands right now Vick is still a flawed player at 31 years old, and is going to see his god given ability decline over the length of that contract. I don't know why you would assume that he's going to understand blitz pickup and know how to read defenses in 3 years when he hasn't figured it out after his first 8 years in the league. He is not Rivers, Brady, Brees, Manning, or Rodgers. He relies on the fact that when he steps on the field he is a better athlete than everyone else, and that he has one of the better arms in the league. Is that still going to be true in 3 years let alone 6?

Now on to your point about other bad contracts. It's interesting you should bring up the Deangelo Williams contract because it is essentially bad for most of the reasons the Vick contract is bad. He is an inconsistent, injury-prone player who locked into a contract which will likely extend well into his decline years.

I usually agree with the idea that more time with first team reps and a season under your belt is a good thing, but I think in this case Vick was the exception to the rule. He is so much different from every other QB in the league that it takes a little while for coordinators and players to adjust to his playing style. It had been 3 years since he had played in the NFL and many coaches and players had yet to face Vick. Combine this with the fact that he was with an entirely different offense and that coaches basically had 2 days and a couple of tapes of him destroying defenses to scout Vick, and it's an incredibly tall task. Now coaches are going to have a full year to adjust. They can go back and see what worked and what didn't work. Green Bay struggled against Vick the first time around, but handled him quite nicely in the playoff game. He is a guy with a lot of flaws and a there are lot of ways to exploit those flaws. I think next year we will see a couple of those WTF stat lines from Vick like 12-28 130yds. 3Ints.

Now with all this being said I don't think Vick will flop. I just think that he'll never come anywhere close to what he was last year. I'm just surprised the team would commit to a 6 year pact with a guy who is a former felon, has a history of destroying a franchise, is heading for a decline, has an injury history, and has a very small sample size of good tape. He should have been kept on the franchise tag for the year, and the Eagles should have seen how he performed in year 2 as a starter before locking him up.

FUNBUNCHER
08-30-2011, 01:40 PM
I kinda feel sorry for Vick.

His first year salary under his new contract is approximately $17 mil, and he only gets to pocket 11% of that money after paying off his creditors, lawyers, management, baby momma, etc.

tjsunstein
08-30-2011, 01:42 PM
What we're all trying to say is that the money should have gone to Jackson and the Eagles should have used the wait and see approach before committing 6 years 100 million.

tjsunstein
08-30-2011, 01:45 PM

His first year salary under his new contract is approximately $17 mil, and he only gets to pocket 11% of that money after paying off his creditors, lawyers, management, baby momma, etc.
Someone feels sympathy for him? That is mind blowing. I really can't find an ounce in me. He did it to himself...

FUNBUNCHER
08-30-2011, 01:51 PM
Vick is a FORMER dog-fighter.

I forgive him. God commands me to do so.

tjsunstein
08-30-2011, 01:56 PM
Vick is a FORMER dog-fighter.

I forgive him. God commands me to do so.
It wasn't a self imposed change.
He's just sorry he got caught.

San Diego Chicken
08-30-2011, 02:06 PM
Someone should ask the last guy who gave Vick $100M if he regrets it.

killxswitch
08-30-2011, 02:53 PM
It wasn't a self imposed change.
He's just sorry he got caught.

If he is not sorry in his mind, but in his actions he appears to be sorry, never does it again, campaigns against dogfighting, and does and says all the right things, does it matter that he doesn't really believe it was wrong?

AHungryWalrus
08-30-2011, 06:56 PM
Annnnd the contract looks even better now:

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/08/30/more-details-on-vicks-contract/?module=HP11_hot_topics

You guys are forgetting the man was due 16+ million GUARANTEED this year. They only gave him 36 million guaranteed in this contract.

AHungryWalrus
08-30-2011, 07:07 PM
I just think the contract is too long. Who knows what the opt out situation is, but I'd venture a guess that Vick was able to secure for himself a pretty solid deal which will at least guarantee him 70% of the total money in that package. It's a huge risk to make a guy one of the highest paid players in the game when he's played a total of 12 games worth of football at the level you are expecting him to play at over the length of that contract. Hell Derek Anderson made himself look like a future pro-bowl QB for a season too! In those 12 games Vick feasted on some of the worst defenses in the league (Jacksonville, Indianapolis, Houston, Dallas, Washington x2, Detroit).

As it stands right now Vick is still a flawed player at 31 years old, and is going to see his god given ability decline over the length of that contract. I don't know why you would assume that he's going to understand blitz pickup and know how to read defenses in 3 years when he hasn't figured it out after his first 8 years in the league. He is not Rivers, Brady, Brees, Manning, or Rodgers. He relies on the fact that when he steps on the field he is a better athlete than everyone else, and that he has one of the better arms in the league. Is that still going to be true in 3 years let alone 6?

Now on to your point about other bad contracts. It's interesting you should bring up the Deangelo Williams contract because it is essentially bad for most of the reasons the Vick contract is bad. He is an inconsistent, injury-prone player who locked into a contract which will likely extend well into his decline years.

I usually agree with the idea that more time with first team reps and a season under your belt is a good thing, but I think in this case Vick was the exception to the rule. He is so much different from every other QB in the league that it takes a little while for coordinators and players to adjust to his playing style. It had been 3 years since he had played in the NFL and many coaches and players had yet to face Vick. Combine this with the fact that he was with an entirely different offense and that coaches basically had 2 days and a couple of tapes of him destroying defenses to scout Vick, and it's an incredibly tall task. Now coaches are going to have a full year to adjust. They can go back and see what worked and what didn't work. Green Bay struggled against Vick the first time around, but handled him quite nicely in the playoff game. He is a guy with a lot of flaws and a there are lot of ways to exploit those flaws. I think next year we will see a couple of those WTF stat lines from Vick like 12-28 130yds. 3Ints.

Now with all this being said I don't think Vick will flop. I just think that he'll never come anywhere close to what he was last year. I'm just surprised the team would commit to a 6 year pact with a guy who is a former felon, has a history of destroying a franchise, is heading for a decline, has an injury history, and has a very small sample size of good tape. He should have been kept on the franchise tag for the year, and the Eagles should have seen how he performed in year 2 as a starter before locking him up.

The length of the contract doesn't matter. Same thing with Manning signing a 5 year deal now. It's the guaranteed money/money in the first 2 to 3 years that is important. Because that's what Vick will get.

HOW this is a "huge" risk is beyond me, when he only gets 20 million more guaranteed on this contract then he would from his one year under the franchise tag. And, assuming he even has a mediocre year, what the hell deal are they signing him to next year where he only gets $20 million guaranteed? He walks, and they have no one.

Like. Que?

cmarq83
08-30-2011, 07:10 PM
Annnnd the contract looks even better now:

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/08/30/more-details-on-vicks-contract/?module=HP11_hot_topics

You guys are forgetting the man was due 16+ million GUARANTEED this year. They only gave him 36 million guaranteed in this contract.

The contract looks a lot better now. I didn't figure it would be structured that way.

bucfan12
08-30-2011, 10:48 PM
Hmmm, question, how do they resign Desean Jackson and pay him like a top 6-8 WR in this league and still be under the cap? This team is going to fall apart very soon due to the salary cap, so they better win a super bowl this year.

Raiderz4Life
08-31-2011, 01:26 PM
Hmmm, question, how do they resign Desean Jackson and pay him like a top 6-8 WR in this league and still be under the cap? This team is going to fall apart very soon due to the salary cap, so they better win a super bowl this year.

a lot of their signings are only 1 year.

jrdrylie
08-31-2011, 02:06 PM

Oh poor guy! Because he viciously murdered dogs, illegally gambled, didn't pay his debts, pissed away tens of millions of dollars, knocked up random women, and didn't pay all his taxes he ONLY gets to keep 11% of his salary (which amounts to a paltry 1.87 million). Oh the humanity. And I thought I had it bad because, despite doing none of those things, i am only able to put a few hundred dollars into my savings every week. But thanks to you, I now realize how lucky I am compared to QB Dog Killer.

bucfan12
08-31-2011, 11:08 PM

Yeah, poor Mike Vick, who's journey back to the NFL is so heartwarming and incredible.

Who the heck cares how much he ONLY gets. Please. He's a damn fool, just like all of these athletes who get these big contracts and do stupid things with spending there money. Try living like the struggling middle class in this economy or finding a job like most of these recent college grads, yet most of them are greedy saying "I'm underpaid" at a 7 figure salary or 6 figure salary (Chris Johnson).

Saints-Tigers
08-31-2011, 11:31 PM
Oh poor guy! Because he viciously murdered dogs, illegally gambled, didn't pay his debts, pissed away tens of millions of dollars, knocked up random women, and didn't pay all his taxes he ONLY gets to keep 11% of his salary (which amounts to a paltry 1.87 million). Oh the humanity. And I thought I had it bad because, despite doing none of those things, i am only able to put a few hundred dollars into my savings every week. But thanks to you, I now realize how lucky I am compared to QB Dog Killer.

That's what you get for not being good at anything.

jrdrylie
09-01-2011, 08:24 AM
That's what you get for not being good at anything.

No, that what I get for having a family, paying off student loans, a **** economy, and high gas prices. I'm not complaining. Compared to most, I live a good life and have a good job. But anyone who feels sorry that Vick, because of his idiotic and vile decisions, only gets to keep 11% of a massive salary is a moron.

Rosebud
09-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Yeah, poor Mike Vick, who's journey back to the NFL is so heartwarming and incredible.

Who the heck cares how much he ONLY gets. Please. He's a damn fool, just like all of these athletes who get these big contracts and do stupid things with spending there money. Try living like the struggling middle class in this economy or finding a job like most of these recent college grads, yet most of them are greedy saying "I'm underpaid" at a 7 figure salary or 6 figure salary (Chris Johnson).

Quit being so whiny. These athletes make more money than you for a very simple reason. The talents that they're getting paid for are worth that much, if there talents weren't so rare and so profitable to owners they wouldn't be able to get that much. It's not greedy to get the fair value for what you provide your employers, at least not greedy with the negative connotation you seem to be implying. Athletes make their owners a lot of money, especially in the NFL, while putting their bodies through quite a bit of harm that severely restricts their time period to make money off of those talents. It's childish to call them greedy for wanting a fair piece of the profits they're generating for the businesses that employee them.

I do agree though that a lot of athletes are tragically incompetent at managing their finances, but for a lot of these guys that's cause they're not prepared for the money they're worth. A lot of these guys don't have a source of guidance on how to manage that much money and that is something that the NFLPA and veteran team-mates should be focusing on more.

Rosebud
09-01-2011, 11:41 AM
No, that what I get for having a family, paying off student loans, a **** economy, and high gas prices. I'm not complaining. Compared to most, I live a good life and have a good job. But anyone who feels sorry that Vick, because of his idiotic and vile decisions, only gets to keep 11% of a massive salary is a moron.

You listed a number of things that are your own fault...

bearsfan_51
09-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Vick killed a bunch of innocent dogs. I think it's perfectly fine that he makes as much money as he can now that he served his time, but if he died in a ditch tomorrow I wouldn't care at all.

To compare him to Chris Johnson makes no sense, unless you think having a grill and dreads is a crime.

Bucs_Rule
09-01-2011, 03:39 PM
This is great news for Drew Brees. His contract expires this year. He should get a deal at least this big. Should be larger imo as he's won a SuperBowl and Vick hasn't reached one yet.

bucfan12
09-01-2011, 04:05 PM
This is great news for Drew Brees. His contract expires this year. He should get a deal at least this big. Should be larger imo as he's won a SuperBowl and Vick hasn't reached one yet.

He should be paid more money than Vick. I don't think Vick is even a top 5 QB in this league and he got paid like a top 3.

1. Brady
1. Manning
3. Brees
4. Rodgers
5. Rivers
6. Roethlisberger
7. Maybe Vick?

J-Mike88
09-26-2011, 08:51 AM
I wanted this in the Eagles "DREAM TEAM" thread I thought we had, but couldn't find one.

Don't look now, but the Dream Team Eagles are in last place in the NFC East, and now Vick won't be back until week 8, after the Eagles bye, sources say.

Vince Young time, or Mike Kafka?
Can they get them back on track?

bucfan12
09-26-2011, 09:12 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vXlulQDUdw

Like really? Mike Vick is whining about getting hit? It's football. Grow a set.

J-Mike88
09-26-2011, 11:49 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vXlulQDUdw

Like really? Mike Vick is whining about getting hit? It's football. Grow a set.
I hate to defend an Eagle, but he definitely took 2 late hits that didn't draw flags that I know for sure that Brady and Manning always get.

Now have those guys earned the right to get the flags and Vick hasn't? Some might subscribe to that. I don't. I think the rules should apply to all QBs.

Saints-Tigers
09-26-2011, 11:50 AM
Yea, he's not complaining about getting hit, he's complaining about getting hit where other QB's wouldn't be allowed to.

J-Mike88
09-26-2011, 12:09 PM
Yea, he's not complaining about getting hit, he's complaining about getting hit where other QB's wouldn't be allowed to.
Agreed. He knows he's gonna get hit, and doing all that running he knows he'll take more hits than other QBs.

I just heard ESPN (I know, I know.....) Rachel Nichols say Vick has gotten as many roughing calls as any other NFC East QB has the past 2 years.

I don't know what the stats are, but I saw him take 2, 1 obvious one, shot yesterday after the throw that should have been a 15-yard penalty.

That being said, refs make bad calls every game. They tend to be old, and have bad vision.

tjsunstein
09-26-2011, 12:23 PM
Now have those guys earned the right to get the flags and Vick hasn't? Some might subscribe to that. I don't. I think the rules should apply to all QBs.
They should but they won't and never will. Everyone knows this, it isn't a secret in the NFL either.

For every call that is missed on a QB, imagine all the time the defenders have been screwed by a 'helmet to helmet' or 'unnecessary roughness' call. No one feels bad for them when they get called for it and it's clean. Everything tends to even out in the NFL.

Jughead10
09-26-2011, 12:36 PM
Agreed. He knows he's gonna get hit, and doing all that running he knows he'll take more hits than other QBs.

I just heard ESPN (I know, I know.....) Rachel Nichols say Vick has gotten as many roughing calls as any other NFC East QB has the past 2 years.

I don't know what the stats are, but I saw him take 2, 1 obvious one, shot yesterday after the throw that should have been a 15-yard penalty.

That being said, refs make bad calls every game. They tend to be old, and have bad vision.

Which one was this? Mike needs to stop being a *****. He's tiny and getting older. He's going to get hurt.

Sloopy
09-26-2011, 01:27 PM
I don't know how anyone else feels but I believe that all of these hits Vick is taking are due to the fact that he has one of the quickest release times in the NFL.

Whereas other QB's from the start of their motion to the end would just be releasing the ball milliseconds before the hit, Vick has released the ball a half second before the hit. This difference in time from start of motion to the release makes it more difficult for defenders to judge and thus are hitting him late.

This would explain why he also has gotten more roughing the passer calls than anyone else, but every play can't end with a 15 yard penalty, thus leading to refs being somewhat more lenient (similar to the way refs used to allow people to play Shaq a little rougher because otherwise he would go to the whole on every play)

I'm not saying this is the case every time, as I'm sure coaches have also told their players the best way to deal with Vick is to hit him as much as possible, but may be at least a part of the problem.

Jughead10
09-26-2011, 01:38 PM
I think his quick release only negates his holding onto the ball longer.

bucfan12
09-26-2011, 03:06 PM
Yeah refs make bad calls, and we as fans get pissed when they don't see them. But when you're officiating a game at that speed and tempo, you're bound to miss some. Every defensive lineman have said theres holding on every play, it';s just a matter of whether or not you make it obvious and get caught.