PDA

View Full Version : Fred Taylor will retire a Jaguar on Friday

Splat
09-01-2011, 12:31 PM
Fred Taylor will retire a Jaguar on Friday (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/01/fred-taylor-will-retire-a-jaguar-on-friday/)

Running back Fred Taylorís underrated career will officially end on Friday, when he signs a ceremonial one-day contract to retire a Jaguar.Taylor ranks 15th all-time in rushing yards.

killxswitch
09-01-2011, 12:45 PM
Good ol Glass Fred. When healthy he was a pain in the ass. I will never forget the day he and MJD rushed for 375 yards vs. the Colts in 2006.

tjsunstein
09-01-2011, 01:18 PM
I remember the Mark Brunell, Fred Taylor, Jimmy Smith days. It was right when I first kind of followed football. Taylor had a nice career, could have been better had he stayed healthy.

CC.SD
09-01-2011, 02:03 PM
Props, a million props to Fred Taylor. Pro Bowl running back!

DoughBoy
09-01-2011, 02:06 PM
One of the most talented RB's of his era.

WMD
09-01-2011, 02:07 PM
I thought he was already retired..

Matthew Jones
09-01-2011, 02:29 PM
It sucks that he came within 600 or so yards of passing Jim Brown and then couldn't stick around long enough to actually succeed.

FUNBUNCHER
09-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Man, if Taylor could have avoided injuries, he had flat out HOF tools and IMO would have challenged the alltime NFL rushing numbers.

6 foot, 230# and 4.3 speed.
With all the time he missed throughout his career, he still had almost 12000 yards rushing.

bucfan12
09-01-2011, 04:06 PM
Great player and one of the few RBs that actually had a long and successful career in the most recent history of the NFL.

May not be a HOF, but you never know. Still, best player in Jags history.

Rosebud
09-01-2011, 04:18 PM
Great player and one of the few RBs that actually had a long and successful career in the most recent history of the NFL.

May not be a HOF, but you never know. Still, best player in Jags history.

...not sure if serious...

I've always been disappointed that we never got to see Fred stay healthy during his prime. He was such a dynamic back that seeing him go down for the season every year brought a tear to your eye. I am impressed with how well he was able to finish his career, but when he started staying healthy he wasn't the same anymore.

bucfan12
09-01-2011, 04:25 PM
...not sure if serious...

I've always been disappointed that we never got to see Fred stay healthy during his prime. He was such a dynamic back that seeing him go down for the season every year brought a tear to your eye. I am impressed with how well he was able to finish his career, but when he started staying healthy he wasn't the same anymore.

What I meant was he's 1 of the few RBs as of late to have success into his 30's despite the injuries.

What could have been if he stayed healthy.

Rosebud
09-01-2011, 04:30 PM
What I meant was he's 1 of the few RBs as of late to have success into his 30's despite the injuries.

I dunno, there have been a number of guys who've managed to stick around once they've lost their elite talents and while his ability to stick around accumulate some really impressive career totals is impressive...I know, I know, redundant sentence is redundant...but to me the story of Fred Taylor will always be unrealized potential, which, given what he did manage to accomplish, is yet again extremely impressive.

A Perfect Score
09-01-2011, 04:30 PM

Well I think the reason he still had fresh legs late into his 30's was because he spent so much time off with injuries. He didn't have the same type of wear he would have if he'd been healthy and running all that time. That said, I agree with what everyone has said so far; an extremely talented RB who was a fan favorite and had HoF talent, even if he doesn't have HoF numbers.

V.I.P
09-01-2011, 06:24 PM
So does Freddy make it in the HOF?

JRTPlaya21
09-01-2011, 06:29 PM
I remember the Mark Brunell, Fred Taylor, Jimmy Smith days. It was right when I first kind of followed football. Taylor had a nice career, could have been better had he stayed healthy.

Don't forget Keenan McCardell. What a squad.

FUNBUNCHER
09-01-2011, 06:32 PM

Does Edgerrin James get in?? Better stats and production.

If a modern RB doesn't rush for 13,000 yards and 100 TDs, IMO it's hard to make a solid case for them.

Ness
09-01-2011, 09:44 PM
I really loved watching Fred Taylor play. The Jaguars of the late 1990's were a really fun team to watch. Like others have said it's too bad he didn't stay healthy a good amount of the time, but he stayed healthy enough to leave his mark on the game. Great player and a class act.

tjsunstein
09-02-2011, 12:47 AM
The same hall with Donovan McNabb and Kurt Warner. The Hall of Very Good Careers.

TitanHope
09-02-2011, 02:51 AM
I remember a reporter asking Jeff Fisher which opponent he thought highest of (or someting to that extent), and his answer was Fred Taylor. Congrats to him on a great career, and hopefully he'll have his number retired by J'Ville sooner rather than later.