PDA

View Full Version : Eight teams that have no shot at the Superbowl, according to Grantland

bearsfan_51
09-02-2011, 12:27 PM
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/6918507/part-i

I include this mostly because of the inclusion of the Bears. The other seven are less surprising, as only one other team made the playoffs, and that's only because somebody had to win the NFC West.

I can't argue with most of his logic, so if the Bears are going to miss the playoffs this year, I'd rather have a top 10 pick than finish 8-8 again and pick in the 15-20 range.

It would also mean no more Lovie and Jerry, and this team probably needs a fresh start.

I think the Titans could be competitive, actually.

J-Mike88
09-02-2011, 12:31 PM
The Bears defense gets no credit.
They contained the Packers offense not once, but twice last year.
Kind of a third time too (week 3 in Chicago... had a lot of help from the zebras).

The Bears have a chance. I don't agree with them being included on this list.

bearsfan_51
09-02-2011, 12:39 PM
The Bears have a short window. It could be as much as three more years or it could already be over.

The offense is young, but it's not good yet, so I'm not sure how much that matters. On defense, we're relying on Urlacher (33), Peppers (31), and Briggs (30). That doesn't mean those guys are going to shrivel up and die, but none of them are going to get better as they age, so if we're going to win a Superbowl, I think it's this year or bust. And it might be bust.

ShutDwn
09-02-2011, 01:06 PM
That guy is totally wrong about Locker so far. Locker has impressed me more than anyone this preseason. Definitely did not expect that type of explosiveness in the NFL from him.

I'm shocked that the Panthers aren't on the list. Our weak points are the worst ones to have...

- Can't stop the run. We are starting two rookies, although they are promising, they are rookies.

- You know your pass defense blows when Captain Munnerlyn is the 2nd corner and you consider Joselio Hanson to be a possible candidate to give you better CB play.

- Our QBs. Newton is a rookie, Clausen can only dumpoff and Anderson is balls.

- New coaching staff, playbooks etc combined with less practice before the season.

- The NFC south is one of the strongest divisions, I doubt we win one division game.

no bare feet
09-02-2011, 01:08 PM
If it's on Grantland then they must obscurely reference some championship Boston had in another sport and relate it to the article somehow

papa burgundy
09-02-2011, 01:12 PM
Worst-case scenario: The NFL actually tries to shift the Bengals-Cardinals game on Christmas Eve to a day of the week that doesn't actually exist in the hopes that the two confused 3-11 teams just stop showing up.

lolololol sooooo funny!!!!

but seriously .. why did they feel the need to make an entire website of Bill Simmons clones? one is enough ..

tjsunstein
09-02-2011, 01:16 PM
They only thought of 8 teams, and included a team that was in the NFC Championship last year? They suck. Jokes are funny when the content is pretty good too, but not when you sacrifice your content for a one liner.

Raiderz4Life
09-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Im actually a little surprised Oakland ain't on there

PoopSandwich
09-02-2011, 01:45 PM
The Browns aren't on this list.

What.

keylime_5
09-02-2011, 02:12 PM
so the bears - who won the division that the packers were in last year - with their great defense (what wins championships again?) have no shot - but the Browns and Raiders do?

SuperMcGee
09-02-2011, 02:33 PM
Worst-case scenario: Los Angeles OK's a stadium plan as the Bills win a meaningless Week 17 game against the Patriots to go 4-12, pushing them out of the first overall slot and giving Andrew Luck to somebody else.

No worst-case scenario could involve beating the Patriots for the first time in 16 tries.

descendency
09-02-2011, 02:41 PM
No worst-case scenario could involve beating the Patriots for the first time in 16 tries.

The Bills always manage to win enough games not to be top 5 and get an elite QB.

Rosebud
09-02-2011, 02:47 PM
I really think the authors are unfair in their critique of the Bills. JP Losman and Trent Edwards weren't low-end draft busts, Losman was a first round pick who just never learned how to use his gifted arm. And Edwards was a steal until he got the balls knocked out of him and turned him into a shell of himself. In recent years they've passed on Josh Freeman, but that was before they learned that Trent Edwards had been castrated during his concussion rehab. Other than that they've not used top 10 picks on Tebow, Clausen before this season and this draft they were again in a ****** situation where they would've had to pass on a future All-Pro dlineman to pair with Kyle Williams, to get to take the chance that Locker can play well with real NFL talent or that Gabbert continues to develop and doesn't fizzle in his development. Both have the potential to be quality NFL starters, but both are still really risky for a team that isn't exactly stacked at every position other than QB.

Last year Ryan Fitzpatrick gave them an adequate starting QB performance behind a bad OL, with unspectacular weapons but it was a defense that couldn't stop a peewee squad from running on them lead them to a top 3 pick. None of the guys they've passed on could turn this team around quickly so criticizing them for not going for the "get-rich-quick way to rebuild" is idiotic. Fitzpatrick can let the team build up talent so that when they do find a franchise guy or a risky project that could be a franchise guy they've got a good environment for them to develop in. That said I do think that had they gotten the first pick or the 7th pick we'd be seeing Newton or Locker running Buffalo's second string offense onto the field.

Rosebud
09-02-2011, 03:10 PM
As for the Bears they were really healthy on D, which as a giants fan I'm really jealous of. If that D is healthy again they can still do great things as Peppers, Briggs and Urlacher are as talented as the top 3 players on any other defense in the league. But I've lived in Chicago a long time and I just know that there's clouds on the horizon. I think Urlacher misses some time this year, Peppers has a down year now that there's not that "overpaid" talk hanging around the media to keep him fired up, and the offense doesn't improve as much as one would hope with a semi-competent running game. I do still think they can nab a WC spot, but I just think the Giants and Falcons or Bucs will beat them out.

descendency
09-02-2011, 06:03 PM
I think the Bears are going to be one of the "surprise" teams to drop off.

The Lions are coming on strong and the Packers are going to be favorites for the Super Bowl. The Bears will get a tough schedule as a division winner. I don't really know much about their team, but I view it as an old defense with no offensive line. Cutler (like most QBs) struggles when he gets pressured. An injury or two, and I think they don't make the playoffs.

bearsfan_51
09-02-2011, 06:22 PM

The Lions are coming on strong and the Packers are going to be favorites for the Super Bowl. The Bears will get a tough schedule as a division winner. I don't really know much about their team, but I view it as an old defense with no offensive line. Cutler (like most QBs) struggles when he gets pressured. An injury or two, and I think they don't make the playoffs.
This is such a surprise that 99% of everyone is predicting it to happen, including the link that I just posted.

bearsfan_51
09-02-2011, 06:23 PM
My surprise team is the Colts. It's over guys. Nice run.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Jets and the Steelers miss the playoffs either.

Raiderz4Life
09-02-2011, 06:36 PM
Can't wait for the day the Colts no longer make the playoffs lol

descendency
09-02-2011, 06:39 PM
This is such a surprise that 99% of everyone is predicting it to happen, including the link that I just posted.

I think the average fan doesn't believe the Bears will regress.

The Colts missing the playoffs would be pretty interesting. Ultimately, I refuse to believe in the Texans... who have been the "next big thing" for like 5 consecutive seasons.

Rob S
09-02-2011, 07:36 PM

Perhaps this is blasphemy, but if I am voting for a win over the Pats or Andrew Luck, I'm taking Luck every time.

Brodeur
09-02-2011, 07:54 PM

The Colts are just as obvious of a pick as the Bears at this point.

SuperMcGee
09-02-2011, 08:43 PM
Perhaps this is blasphemy, but if I am voting for a win over the Pats or Andrew Luck, I'm taking Luck every time.

Oh I absolutely agree. But the Pats are obviously the team I would most want to beat.

TitanHope
09-02-2011, 11:04 PM
I think the Titans will absolutely compete next year. They may not end up with a great record, but I don't think they'll be an easy win. In WK 8 last year, they were 5-3 and leading the AFC South. Then VY and Britt got hurt, and it was all downhill. I think Hass can at least match what VY produced, and considering Britt won't be suspended and CJ has signed, he'll have a better surrounding cast than he had in Seattle. Especially when you factor in the OL keeping him clean. Secondary is the same, but McCourty and Verner have experience now under their belt and Finnegan is now being used to his potential and being put in the best position to make plays. Ruud is a downgrade from Tulloch, but Ayers upgrades SLB. The DL is very inexperienced, and that's my biggest worry at the moment, but I love the young core in Jason Jones, Derrick Morgan, Jurrell Casey, and Karl Klug.

Oh, and Jerry Gray >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Chuck Cecil. Munch is unproven, but he's constantly impressing me whether it's in preseason or fluff interviews. Palmer could disappoint (although him coaching Jake Locker could prove to be impactful) and it hurts to lose Washburn, but I rather like the new coaching staff. Munch is surrounded by a good bit of experience, which should help alleviate problems that his inexperience causes. Jerry Bush is a huge upgrade over Cecil (Oh, and this isn't me pumping up Gray. It's me saying how much Cecil sucked), and has experience with the Titans as a DB Coach under Gregg Williams and a DC under Williams when he went to Buffalo. Dave McGinnis, a former HC, stayed on as a Senior Assistant. Frank Bush, a former DC, is coaching LB's. Bruce Matthews is coaching OL, which is his first stint as OL Coach, so we'll see how he does, but Munch is still there to help. I loved the Tracy Rocker signing for DL Coach. I still think Dave Ragone, a former QB, as WR Coach is incredibly strange, but I like QB Coach Dowell Loggains, and would prefer him to coach QB's over Ragone. Would like to see improvement from DB Coach Marcus Robertson and ST Coach Alan Lowry.

When the time came for Fisher to be let go, I wanted the team to make it worth it with the next hire. Don't fire Fisher and replace him with just whoever was the best available at the time. I wanted an upgrade, and I didn't think an upgrade over Fisher would be easy to find. Even if they had to keep Fisher for a year longer than they'd prefer, that would be fine with me since I think a great HC candidate is worth being patient for. So when they fired him so late, I thought the worst. No great candidates left, it was so late in the process that that itself could deter candidates, and the team didn't have a franchise QB. But I think they nailed it with Munchak, and I think he's put together a good staff. I'm expecting a .500 team this year.

The Colts missing the playoffs would be pretty interesting. Ultimately, I refuse to believe in the Texans... who have been the "next big thing" for like 5 consecutive seasons.

The thing that's different now is it's not just that the Texans have improved. The Colts will most likely regress, due to Peyton's injury, an already suspect defense that wasn't upgraded, and a few seasons of poor drafting. In years past, the Colts didn't look this mortal, and as long as Peyton was balling, the offense produced and got by with the defense because the offense could score and the defense was built to play with a lead. People hopped on Houston's bandwagon when the Texans's progression arrow was pointing forward and the Colts's arrow staying neutral. Even with the yearly turnover, it's difficult for an 8-8 team to overtake a 12-4 team in a year's time, no matter if the 12-4 stayed put. But now since the Texans are still pointing in the positive direction, and the Colts's arrow is pointing negative, there's a legitimate chance the Texans could overtake them.

There's a chance Peyton could actually miss time, and the team as a whole has no way to cope due to their dependence on him. With Manning there, the OL was bad (although promising after adding Castonzo and Ilijana), the run game was nonexistant, and the defense was soft, yet they still won 10 games because Manning provided a handicap. Without a 100% Manning, that handicap is gone and their weaknesses could be easily exploited. If Collins starts, they'll lose. I can tell you that right now. He was good as a game manager on an amazing team in 2008, but when the team got bad enough that it forced him to have a more important role, the W/L record was abysmal. So they'll be behind there if Peyton isn't ready, and when the time comes that Manning returns, they'll have to start off hot - and they've had slow starts in years prior.

bearsfan_51
09-03-2011, 12:10 AM
The Colts are just as obvious of a pick as the Bears at this point.
Obvious, maybe, but certainly not as popular. Everyone thinks the Bears will miss the playoffs this year.

Brent
09-03-2011, 12:32 AM
Obvious, maybe, but certainly not as popular. Everyone thinks the Bears will miss the playoffs this year.
yeah, but we'll all enjoy the Colts falling apart as their golden era comes to an end. whereas, if the bears return to their early 2000s form, no one outside of Chicago will care.

bearsfan_51
09-03-2011, 12:41 AM
Iowa will care.

yo123
09-03-2011, 12:46 AM
So Brent was right.

tjsunstein
09-03-2011, 01:02 AM
Iowa will care.
Depends how the Hawkeyes do.

bearsfan_51
09-03-2011, 08:04 AM
I will care. :(

wordofi
09-03-2011, 09:41 AM

It depends on whether or not Stafford is healthy.

Matthew Jones
09-03-2011, 09:45 AM
This looks like a pretty good read. I'll have to check it out when I'm wasting time at school next week.

bigbluedefense
09-03-2011, 02:12 PM

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Jets and the Steelers miss the playoffs either.

I have the Colts and Steelers missing the playoffs too. The Colts have 2 talented defenders and a bunch of bums, and their offense is Peyton or bust.

The Steelers have a mediocre secondary. Their oline has sucked for awhile. They're just a hunch on my end.

BeerBaron
09-03-2011, 02:16 PM
The Bears and Colts are not "surprises" not to make it. Everyone is picking them not to make it.

Just like the Lions aren"t a "sleeper" team because every ******* body is picking them to make the playoffs.

bigbluedefense
09-03-2011, 02:19 PM
I think the Vikings could be a sleeper team. That oline and secondary sucks something awful though.

BeerBaron
09-03-2011, 02:22 PM
I think the Vikings could be a sleeper team. That oline and secondary sucks something awful though.

See, that is a "sleeper" pick. One that no one would predict. I don't think so though. McNabb is done and while that Vikings defense isn't the worst thing ever, they aren't the Jim Johnson defenses that used to carry his fat inaccurate ass deep into the playoffs.

bigbluedefense
09-03-2011, 02:23 PM
See, that is a "sleeper" pick. One that no one would predict. I don't think so though. McNabb is done and while that Vikings defense isn't the worst thing ever, they aren't the Jim Johnson defenses that used to carry his fat inaccurate ass deep into the playoffs.

So I take it McNabb won't get a christmas card from you?

BeerBaron
09-03-2011, 02:38 PM
So I take it McNabb won't get a christmas card from you?

I'm still bitter from years of hearing about how McNabb should be in the Brady/Manning category.

Brodeur
09-03-2011, 02:40 PM
I'm still bitter from years of hearing about how McNabb should be in the Brady/Manning category.

Rush, is that you?

Iamcanadian
09-04-2011, 03:18 PM
Any team without a franchise QB belongs on this list and any team with a franchise QB doesn't and is only there(the Bears) because the writer wants to create controversy.

Raiderz4Life
09-04-2011, 03:20 PM
Any team without a franchise QB belongs on this list and any team with a franchise QB doesn't and is only there(the Bears) because the writer wants to create controversy.

I'm going to disagree with this.

You can have a game-manager and make the playoffs and have a franchise caliber QB and miss out.

Having a franchise QB is a very big boost no doubt but it doesn't make a team a lock to make the playoffs.

Bucs_Rule
09-04-2011, 06:53 PM
The Titans could be a sleeper. They were actually pretty good before VY self imploded last year and then the team gave up. Hasselbeck, well not that good won't do that.

The Colts are expected to struggled. Texans have continuously disappointed. I don't think the Jags are that good and struggled down the stretch last 2 seasons while in playoff contention.

For the record I think the Texans will win the division, at some point they have to, right? Just don't think it would be too much of a surprise if the Titans do.

Unbiased
09-04-2011, 08:46 PM
Writer needs to do his research. Roth or Mincey will start at DE, not Austen Lane. It's like he picked out Lane because he could say one of our DEs doesn;t have any sacks.

tjsunstein
09-04-2011, 08:56 PM
I'm going to disagree with this.

You can have a game-manager and make the playoffs and have a franchise caliber QB and miss out.

Having a franchise QB is a very big boost no doubt but it doesn't make a team a lock to make the playoffs.

Game managers that make the playoffs:
Mark Sanchez

Franchise QBs that don't:
Josh Freeman
Matthew Stafford

Just to make the point. There are many others.

bearsfan_51
09-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Matthew Stafford is a paper doll, hardly a franchise QB at this point.

Brodeur
09-04-2011, 09:13 PM
Matthew Stafford is a paper doll, hardly a franchise QB at this point.

http://img830.imageshack.us/img830/5827/1314420874868.jpg

BeerBaron
09-04-2011, 09:19 PM
More career picks than TDs, more games spent hurt than started, 61 QB rating...

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/me-gusta-original1-200x160.png

Brodeur
09-04-2011, 09:24 PM
More career picks than TDs, more games spent hurt than started, 61 QB rating...

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/me-gusta-original1-200x160.png

He struggled in his rookie season where he had Bryant Johnson as his number 2 receiver, a worse line, and Kevin Smith as his main back? UNHEARD OF.

bearsfan_51
09-04-2011, 09:26 PM
My favorite Matthew Stafford moments:

http://www.customauthenticjerseys.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/stafford-hurt.jpg

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/065/942/106617707_crop_340x234.jpg

http://www.lionsgab.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/stafford.jpg

http://www.sportsofboston.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/100609_stafford.jpg

http://sidelionreport.com/files/2011/04/matthew-stafford-0cbaa37ec1bf9c42.jpg

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/extra_points/matthew-stafford.jpg

What a career.

Brodeur
09-04-2011, 09:28 PM
His only injury right now is his shoulder, and it physically cannot be separated anymore so he's not going to get hurt this year. You two will see, since Shaun Hill was two horrible officiating calls away from beating the Bears twice last season.

BeerBaron
09-04-2011, 09:29 PM
He struggled in his rookie season where he had Bryant Johnson as his number 2 receiver, a worse line, and Kevin Smith as his main back? UNHEARD OF.

Sam Bradford WISHES he had someone as good as Bryant Johnson at WR last year. I mean, forget #2 receivers, his #1 was who? Brandon Gibson?

Vince Young had to throw to Justin Gage and Roydell Williams as a rookie. 10 wins.

Matt Stafford can be called a franchise QB when his shoulder stays in one piece for longer than 3 games.

bearsfan_51
09-04-2011, 09:30 PM
His only injury right now is his shoulder, and it physically cannot be separated anymore so he's not going to get hurt this year. You two will see, since Shaun Hill was two horrible officiating calls away from beating the Bears twice last season.
If by "you'll see", do you mean that we'll see Shaun Hill twice again?

BeerBaron
09-04-2011, 09:33 PM
If by "you'll see", do you mean that we'll see Shaun Hill twice again?

We don't play them until week 5. I'd say the likelihood of Stafford going uninjured for 4 weeks is somewhere in the "slim-to-nil" range.

Especially when Stafford still has this turnstyle protecting his blindside:
_CkORRd1I6k

Even saying "turnstyle" is generous because at least a turnstyle requires a small amount of effort to get past.

Brodeur
09-04-2011, 09:37 PM
Better than any Bears lineman.

BeerBaron
09-04-2011, 09:38 PM
Better than any Bears lineman.

The Bears line is rather awful, but I wouldn't take Jeff Backus. Anyone else would be a fine upgrade however.

Brodeur
09-04-2011, 09:41 PM
The Bears line is rather awful, but I wouldn't take Jeff Backus. Anyone else would be a fine upgrade however.

You wouldn't take a well above average left tackle? I overestimated your football intelligence.

BeerBaron
09-04-2011, 09:43 PM
Season ending injuries to a starting QB caused by:

J'Marcus Webb - 0
Jeff Backus - 1

Jvig43
09-04-2011, 09:44 PM
A bears fan talking about having a franchise quarterback, HA.

bearsfan_51
09-04-2011, 09:46 PM
Please explain your statement further, I'm fascinated.

Brodeur
09-04-2011, 09:49 PM
Season ending injuries to a starting QB caused by:

J'Marcus Webb - 0
Jeff Backus - 1

Haha, good point.

Raiderz4Life
09-04-2011, 09:49 PM

cutler's not a franchise qb?? when did this happen?

Jvig43
09-04-2011, 10:08 PM
I have always maintained that Cutler blows.

Brodeur
09-04-2011, 10:13 PM
Ah well, Stafford threw a TD pass without being able to move his left arm to win a game while Cutler sat like a baby on the sidelines after an MCL tear. Stafford wins.

Jvig43
09-04-2011, 10:15 PM
And talking anything about interceptions when Cutler is your QB is kind of silly. I recall Cutler getting a long pass on criticism when he first came into the league as well.

bearsfan_51
09-04-2011, 10:20 PM
I have always maintained that Cutler blows.
That's great. No Bears fan in this thread said anything about Cutler.

bearsfan_51
09-04-2011, 10:21 PM
Ah well, Stafford threw a TD pass without being able to move his left arm to win a game while Cutler sat like a baby on the sidelines after an MCL tear. Stafford wins.
Stafford sat on his couch while the Bears were in the playoffs.

Jvig43
09-04-2011, 10:22 PM
I was making a joke about a Bears fan commenting about a team not having a franchise QB. Was it really that hard to read?

tjsunstein
09-04-2011, 11:14 PM
What's it like to not have a franchise QB?

Sincerely,
A 21 year old Packers fan.

Ness
09-04-2011, 11:19 PM

Sincerely,

Oh you'll find out one day just like I did. It sucks big time.

BeerBaron
09-04-2011, 11:19 PM
At least half the teams in this league would take Cutler if they could. He was a pro bowler in Denver where he got protection and even in Chicago, when he has time to throw, shows that. And I maintain that there are very few QBs who could have done as well as he did manage to do last year with that bad of an o-line and midget receivers.

If Matt Stafford survived long enough to take that many hits, he wouldn't have an unbroken bone left in his body.

Ness
09-04-2011, 11:21 PM
At least half the teams in this league would take Cutler if they could. He was a pro bowler in Denver where he got protection and even in Chicago, when he has time to throw, shows that. And I maintain that there are very few QBs who could have done as well as he did manage to do last year with that bad of an o-line and midget receivers.

Cutler is decent to me. There are a lot of quarterbacks that are a lot worse. He'll have his games where he'll throw a bunch of interceptions, but he also has his games where he gets his fair share of glory. I'd probably take him over Alex Smith under Jim Harbaugh's tutelage. He looked really promising when he was with Denver. Really, it's too bad he has Martz as his current coordinator.

BeerBaron
09-04-2011, 11:37 PM
Cutler is decent to me. There are a lot of quarterbacks that are a lot worse. He'll have his games where he'll throw a bunch of interceptions, but he also has his games where he gets his fair share of glory. I'd probably take him over Alex Smith under Jim Harbaugh's tutelage. He looked really promising when he was with Denver. Really, it's too bad he has Martz as his current coordinator.

There shouldn't be a "probably" about it. Anyone should want Cutler over Smith.

Ness
09-04-2011, 11:42 PM
There shouldn't be a "probably" about it. Anyone should want Cutler over Smith.

I'll just say I think he's marginally better. I wouldn't call it night and day.

Jvig43
09-04-2011, 11:46 PM
One joke was made about Cutler and it was a joke at that no reason to turn this into a Cutler debate.

Raiderz4Life
09-04-2011, 11:59 PM

no...it is night and day. On one hand...you got a guy who's a franchise or a potential franchise QB, on the other....a former no. 1 pick who is a totall and massive bust.

bearsfan_51
09-05-2011, 12:04 AM
I was making a joke about a Bears fan commenting about a team not having a franchise QB. Was it really that hard to read?
No, it wasn't. I just wanted you to explain it because it was lame.

bearsfan_51
09-05-2011, 12:06 AM
Alex Smith is awful. Gimme a break.

yodabear
09-05-2011, 12:12 AM

Sincerely,

It really, really sucks. I mean like Jamie Martin starting a game for your team sucking. But its all good, MY TEAM HAS ONE! I love you Sam! I just wish you had someone better than Brandon ******* Gibson to throw it to.

Ness
09-05-2011, 12:15 AM
Alex Smith is awful. Gimme a break.

I think I hit a nerve towards the bias Bears fan.

no...it is night and day. On one hand...you got a guy who's a franchise or a potential franchise QB, on the other....a former no. 1 pick who is a totall and massive bust.

No, it's not night and day. For me night and day is like Alex Smith compared to Drew Brees or Peyton Manning. Smith and Cutler is like high noon towards twilight.

Brodeur
09-05-2011, 12:16 AM

No, Jay Cutler with a torn MCL and having low blood sugar is better than Alex Smith.

bearsfan_51
09-05-2011, 12:17 AM
The word is biased, and the only nerve you hit was the disappointed nerve in thinking that anyone could hold that opinion. Cutler is considerably better than Alex Smith. So are about 30-40 other quarterbacks in the NFL.

Ness
09-05-2011, 12:20 AM
The word is biased, and the only nerve you hit was the disappointed nerve in thinking that anyone could hold that opinion. Cutler is considerably better than Alex Smith. So are about 30-40 other quarterbacks in the NFL.

LOL correcting typos to try and save face.

Anyways, I don't share that same opinion that it's vastly different. Nor do I think that 30-40 quarterbacks are better than Alex. This would mean Alex is the worst starter in the NFL and I don't think this is the case. Nor do I think the majority of NFL fans feel this is the case either.

Ness
09-05-2011, 12:22 AM
No, Jay Cutler with a torn MCL and having low blood sugar is better than Alex Smith.

Really? Jay Cutler with a torn MCL? The same one that didn't play with a sprained MCL?

bearsfan_51
Save face for what? Put this up anywhere and the vast majority would agree with me.

hawkeye123
I'm not defending Alex but let's see how he does with a competent coach.

I mean seriously, he couldn't even check out of a run with 9 guys in the box in the last few years.

Brodeur
Really? Jay Cutler with a torn MCL? The same one that didn't play with a sprained MCL?

Still better than Alex Smith. Jay Cutler is an above average QB stuck in a lousy situation, Alex Smith just sucks.

bearsfan_51
09-05-2011, 12:24 AM

Anyways, I don't share that same opinion that it's vastly different. Nor do I think that 30-40 quarterbacks are better than Alex. This would mean Alex is the worst starter in the NFL and I don't think this is the case. Nor do I think the majority of NFL fans feel this is the case either.
He's one of the worst. It's a crapfest between Beck, Henne, and Smith. There are backups better than those three.

Also, I'm counting retired guys, like a 50 year old John Elway, or a dead Y.A. Tittle.

Ness
09-05-2011, 12:24 AM
Still better than Alex Smith. Jay Cutler is an above average QB stuck in a lousy situation, Alex Smith just sucks.

Right, because Smith hasn't been in a lousy situation the majority of his career. San Francisco has always had a playoff defense like Chicago.

And your torn MCL statement is garbage seeing as Cutler wouldn't be on the field rending it a comment that makes no sense.

bearsfan_51
09-05-2011, 12:25 AM
I'm not defending Alex but let's see how he does with a competent coach.

I mean seriously, he couldn't even check out of a run with 9 guys in the box in the last few years.
He's been in the league for six years. Let it go.

Brodeur
09-05-2011, 12:25 AM
He's one of the worst. It's a crapfest between Beck, Henne, and Smith. There are backups better than those three.

Also, I'm counting retired guys, like a 50 year old John Elway, or a dead Y.A. Tittle.

Henne is a lot better than Beck and Smith, come on now.

hawkeye123
09-05-2011, 12:27 AM
He's been in the league for six years. Let it go.

Going into his seventh year, with his third different head coach, and his seventh different offensive coordinator.

No one has had more ****** luck then Alex Smith.

bearsfan_51
09-05-2011, 12:28 AM
That excuse made sense about four years ago. At a certain point, you just suck.

Ness

Okay "count retired guys" to try and push your agenda after I rendered it ridiculous.

Tavaris Jackson is a better option than Alex Smith? If there were 30 - 40 better options, Smith wouldn't be starting. If Alex Smith became a free agent last offseason I bet he would have been picked up pretty quickly and even been in some sort of competition for a starting job unless it's a team with an unquestioned starter.

yodabear
49ers fans with Alex Smith and his bad luck are like the Packer fans last year with their injuriezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Brodeur
09-05-2011, 12:29 AM
Going into his seventh year, with his third different head coach, and his seventh different offensive coordinator.

No one has had more ****** luck then Alex Smith.

Joey Harrington had two coaches who didn't want him, tried to force him into a system he didn't fit into, had horrible running backs all but one year in Detroit, a lousy offensive line, and one good receiver during half of his years. You know what happened when he left? He still sucked, because he wasn't a good QB. The situation is the same with Alex Smith.

bearsfan_51
09-05-2011, 12:30 AM
Okay "count retired guys" to try and push your agenda after I rendered it ridiculous.
Have you noticed how nobody here is agreeing with you? I suppose not, since you're really just talking to yourself.

And yes, Tarvaris Jackson is better than Alex Smith.

yo123
09-05-2011, 12:31 AM
I think there is still something to be said for the Alex Smith has been horribly unlucky argument (no T-jack is not better) but Jay Cutler is just simply much, much better.

bearsfan_51
09-05-2011, 12:31 AM
49ers fans with Alex Smith and his bad luck are like the Packer fans last year with their injuriezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
I guess it's been so long since I've even noticed they existed.

tjsunstein
09-05-2011, 12:32 AM
The real Alex Smith will come out at the end of the 2011-2012 season. That would be (assuming nothing drastic occurs, or he's benched) two consecutive years with a competent HC that develops QBs very well. If he isn't good by then, well, the writing is on the wall. I think Kaerpernick will prevent any and all of that from happening, though.

hawkeye123
09-05-2011, 12:33 AM
Have you noticed how nobody here is agreeing with you? I suppose not, since you're really just talking to yourself.

You have lost all credibility.

yodabear
09-05-2011, 12:34 AM
Alex Smith just ******* sucks. Good day! Yeah, he has had a billion coaches. Maybe, he is a huge part of the reason he has had that many coaches.

Ness
09-05-2011, 12:34 AM

And I'm supposed to care that no one is agreeing with me? What you are doing is now called Argumentum ad populum, a ridiculous form of reasoning to assume that I'm incorrect because the majority may not agree with what I have to say.

And Jackson isn't better than Smith. You're just trolling now.

Brodeur
09-05-2011, 12:35 AM

I'm on your side here, but T-Jax is not better than Alex Smith.

tjsunstein
09-05-2011, 12:35 AM
The only similarity I see here is that the fans defend their player and teams. Although neither are ridiculous, I could see how it can be annoying to other fans. I have a feeling a similar argument is going to come up sooner than later with Rams fans and Bradford's WR situation...

bearsfan_51
09-05-2011, 12:36 AM
You have lost all credibility.
Jackson has a higher completion %, a higher YPA, a better TD/INT ratio, a higher quarterback rating, he runs better, and he takes less sacks.

Namely, by any category by which a quarterback is judged, Jackson is better than Smith.

The only reason one might think Smith is better is because casual NFL fans forgot the Niners existed about 5 years ago.

yodabear
I'm with BF too, but yeah, they both suck, but Smith is better than Jackson. Smith sucks, Jackson epically sucks.

Ness
Alex Smith just ******* sucks. Good day! Yeah, he has had a billion coaches. Maybe, he is a huge part of the reason he has had that many coaches.

You can't really believe Mike Singletary was head coaching material.

Ness
09-05-2011, 12:37 AM
Jackson has a higher completion %, a higher YPA, a better TD/INT ratio, a higher quarterback rating, he runs better, and he takes less sacks.

Namely, by any category by which a quarterback is judged, Jackson is better than Smith.

The only reason one might think Smith is better is because casual NFL fans forgot the Niners existed about 5 years ago.

No one is agreeing with you about Jackson. Therefore you are factually wrong. See what I did there.

yodabear
09-05-2011, 12:37 AM
The only similarity I see here is that the fans defend their player and teams. Although neither are ridiculous, I could see how it can be annoying to other fans. I have a feeling a similar argument is going to come up sooner than later with Rams fans and Bradford's WR situation...

Well sadly, the Rams only have like three fans on here that post regualrly, so we can't get annoying :(.

hawkeye123
09-05-2011, 12:41 AM

It would take the effort to sit down and actually watch some a game or two to realize that Smith and Jackson are in universally different situations.

Jackson had the luxury of being able to sit and learn with the same offensive coordinator and head coach, and when he actually sees action he has had a much stronger supporting cast.

Oh ya and Alex Smith still looked better.

Roddoliver
09-05-2011, 12:42 AM
Wow, that site thinks the Broncos have a shot at the Super Bowl? A better shot than the Bears, who won their division?

Raiderz4Life
09-05-2011, 12:42 AM
Idk what it is like to have a competent QB ever since Gannon left but at this point....I'd rather have Campbell over Smith all day every day especially on Sunday.

Alex Smith is a bottom 5 QB.

bearsfan_51
09-05-2011, 12:44 AM
I live in Minnesota. I've seen tons of Jackson games. He sucks. He shouldn't be starting in the NFL. He's still better than Alex Smith.

Also, as I've said, the diapers should have come off Smith about 3-4 years ago. You can either play or you can't. He can't.

I would have figured you would all be sick of defending him by this point. Haven't you suffered enough? Wouldn't it be easier to move on with your lives?

Ness
09-05-2011, 12:46 AM
Idk what it is like to have a competent QB ever since Gannon left but at this point....I'd rather have Campbell over Smith all day every day especially on Sunday.

Campbell and Smith are neck and neck to me. Interestingly they've gone through a lot of the same problems in their career.

Ness
09-05-2011, 12:48 AM
I live in Minnesota. I've seen tons of Jackson games. He sucks. He shouldn't be starting in the NFL. He's still better than Alex Smith.

Also, as I've said, the diapers should have come off Smith about 3-4 years ago. You can either play or you can't. He can't.

I would have figured you would all be sick of defending him by this point. Haven't you suffered enough? Wouldn't it be easier to move on with your lives?

I guess we'll see when the season starts next week. I'm guessing Jackson plays worse week one and probably the entire season.

tjsunstein
09-05-2011, 12:48 AM

So is Tavaris Jackson.

Bottom 5 Starters in the NFL (in no order):
Andy Dalton
Alex Smith
Tavaris Jackson
Cam Newton
John Beck

Ness
09-05-2011, 12:50 AM
So is Tavaris Jackson.

Bottom 5 Starters in the NFL (in no order):
Andy Dalton
Alex Smith
Tavaris Jackson
Cam Newton
John Beck

Honestly I think Chad Henne and Jason Campbell are interchangeable in that grouping. I'd say Jackson is currently the worst starter in the NFL.

tjsunstein
09-05-2011, 12:51 AM
Honestly I think Chad Henne and Jason Campbell are interchangeable in that grouping. I'd say Jackson is currently the worst starter in the NFL.
If I went 7, they're the next two in there. So much suck.

hawkeye123
09-05-2011, 12:52 AM
The fact that Ness and I are even slightly defending Alex Smith (Ness bashes on Alex all the time) really is saying something...

yodabear
09-05-2011, 12:53 AM
Really tho, lets face it, this article should have mentioned the whole NFC West.

Raiderz4Life
09-05-2011, 12:54 AM
Campbell and Smith are neck and neck to me. Interestingly they've gone through a lot of the same problems in their career.

Not gonna say he is much better...not by any stretch....but Campbell is slightly better and will make things happen once in a while. Much to my dismay it may get worse though...if Al decided Pryor can be our QB. *sigh* fml

Ness
09-05-2011, 12:58 AM
The fact that Ness and I are even slightly defending Alex Smith (Ness bashes on Alex all the time) really is saying something...

Nice updated signature. Please keep that all season long.

bearsfan_51
09-05-2011, 01:09 AM
Yes, please do.

Raiderz4Life
09-05-2011, 01:15 AM
Will be interesting to see who has a better season. Even funnier they're division rivals haha

Ness
09-05-2011, 01:17 AM
Will be interesting to see who has a better season. Even funnier they're division rivals haha

I'll just say I like Smith's chances of playing against the Seattle defense than I do Jackson's chances of playing against the 49ers defense. All I'm sayin. Oh and good luck Seattle against the rest of last year's division winner's in the NFC.

killxswitch
09-05-2011, 01:24 AM
Add the Colts to this list if Manning is actually out indefinitely.