PDA

View Full Version : Any Love for Matt Barkley?

soybean
09-02-2011, 02:11 PM
USC homer here.

We all know Luck is the consensus top qb this coming draft and most likely the number 1 pick but any love for barkley?

Is he the consensus number 2 qb?

I will say though I see a difference between Barkley and Luck though. Someone mentioned it once too but Barkley seems more mechanical whereas Luck looks more natural.

Sometimes it seems that Barkley knows where he's going before the ball is snapped without going through his progressions.

He has good velocity and can fit the ball through a tight window though. Decent mobility and good arm strength. Been hearing Carson Palmer clone from analysts and maybe even better?

Where does he go and how high?

RaiderNation
09-02-2011, 02:50 PM
I have him and Jones basically as 2a and 2b right now, it's just too close to call right now.

descendency
09-02-2011, 02:58 PM
I think Barkley is closer to 1B then 2A. I'm not a Landry Jones guy (who I still think is a first rounder, but mid to late).

Matt Barkley is a talented player who could be the #1 overall pick given the right situation. If the Seahawks are picking #1... I think Barkley could be their guy.

Right now, a lot of people make big boards based on how they think people will mature. Sometimes that just doesn't happen.

tjsunstein
09-02-2011, 03:37 PM
Clear cut 2 for me. Could still be a top 5 pick, don't rule out him unseating Luck for first overall.

keylime_5
09-02-2011, 03:51 PM
I think he'll be the solid #2 QB and a top 5 pick. I'm not big on Landry Jones, For a guy who is supposedly a top 10 pick, I don't think he's played that well against good teams in big games. He benefits a lot from playing in Oklahoma's system. Coaches will be drooling over Barkley's potential and praying that he comes out this spring instead of staying 4 years at SC.

SolidGold
09-02-2011, 04:08 PM
Barkley is probably everyone's consensus number 2 QB behind Luck. I like him alot and the only "knock" against him will be his height. PAC 12 has some nice QBs all around. Should be a good competitive conference this year.

Caulibflower
09-02-2011, 04:13 PM
Matt Barkley is a talented player who could be the #1 overall pick given the right situation. If the Seahawks are picking #1... I think Barkley could be their guy.

If the Seahawks have a chance to pick Luck and pass on him for Barkley, I will fly down to Seattle to shank Pete Carroll myself.

holt_bruce81
09-03-2011, 04:08 AM
I have Barkley as my #2 Quarterback, just behind Andrew Luck. I actually think Landry Jones is a little overrated and is more of a mid-late 2nd round pick right now.

K Train
09-04-2011, 07:44 PM
so much better than sanchez who went 5....luck number 1 easily but barkley ceiling is #2 at this point

HoopsDemon12
09-05-2011, 02:26 PM
I don't think its possible to take him over Luck. He is the clear cut number two in my opinion though. He has the physicals tools and seems to have a good head for the game. If he has a good year this year he MAY push luck at number 1, the only reason i say that is because Luck will have a whole other year under the #1 microscope.

BuddyCHRIST
09-05-2011, 03:55 PM
As long as he's a legit 6'2" and continues to progress than he looks like a top 5 pick. He looks shorter, but that may just be cause he's stockier.

Raiderz4Life
09-05-2011, 04:25 PM
I want Barkley on the Raiders if we have no shot at Luck. He's clearly no. 2 in my book and as long as he doesn't spontaneously combust...he'll remain no. 2

Saints-Tigers
09-05-2011, 09:35 PM
I was never as high as others were on Barkley as a freshmen, but expectations seemed to have tempered, I do like him better than Sanchez by a fair amount.

I don't think he'll push for number 1, not on my board anyway, I'm sure plenty of people will out think themselves and start getting down on Luck though.

I'd definitely be happy if he was the QB I had to "settle" for if I didn't get the first pick.

jth1331
09-06-2011, 10:27 AM
I just don't understand the drooling over Barkley and the "hating" on Landry Jones by some.
The thing with both to me is how much both Barkley and Landry improved from their freshman year to sophomore year.
If both declare, barring any setbacks IMO, there will be a good run on QB's next year. Luck, Barkley and Jones will most likely be top 10 picks.

JHL6719
09-06-2011, 12:27 PM
I think he's just as good as Luck. I don't see a whole lot seperating them, if anything. Except Barkley has a stronger arm.

JBCX
09-06-2011, 12:34 PM
I like:

1. Andrew Luck
2. Robert Griffin III
3. Landry Jones
4. Matt Barkley

Barkley just doesn't have the upside of the other three guys ahead of him in my list.

Caulibflower
09-06-2011, 01:52 PM
Robert Griffin III bandwagon, leaving the station now.

SolidGold
09-06-2011, 02:17 PM
Robert Griffin III bandwagon, leaving the station now.

Yep, everyone seems to be coming out of the woodwork. I have already seen the Vick comparison. He was impressive, TCU lost 6 defensive starters. I need to see what he will do against Oklahoma, A&M and Texas this year. Barkley is still the number 2 qb in the draft.

TACKLE
09-06-2011, 02:22 PM
I like:

1. Andrew Luck
2. Robert Griffin III
3. Landry Jones
4. Matt Barkley

Barkley just doesn't have the upside of the other three guys ahead of him in my list.

Say what you want about Barkley, but to rank him 4th based off his lack of upside just doesn't make sense.

D-Unit
09-06-2011, 02:33 PM
I'm drafting Matt Barkley before I draft Peyton Manning in fantasy football next season. :D

Babylon
09-06-2011, 02:45 PM
Say what you want about Barkley, but to rank him 4th based off his lack of upside just doesn't make sense.

Agree. How is continuing to learn how to read defenses a negative. He already has the best arm in the draft.

Let him drop though...all the way to Seattle.

murdamal86
09-06-2011, 02:45 PM
I'm on the Matt "Hollywood" bandwagon. I think he's going to make an excellent pro

Question: is he leaving after this year?

DraftSavant
09-06-2011, 03:29 PM
In terms of skillset, he's much closer to Sanchez than to Palmer. Light on his feet, can move around, but his arm strength is definitely overstated - has been since HS. Not as much of a "game manager" as Sanchez was. Albeit, has a ton more experience than him already.

Whoever said he's mechanical is right. Tries to hard to "finesse" his throws - doesn't follow through all the way or tranfer his weight (throws flat footed). There are times when he should just let it rip, but he doesn't. Also looks bow-legged in the pocket. One of the most accurate redzone passers in recent memory, however.

Biggest concern with him thus far is performance in the 4th quarter and at the end of the season. Has all the tools to be a top pick and will have production to back it up, but I need to see better performance when facing adversity.

niel89
09-06-2011, 06:14 PM
I like him a fair amount. Looks the part overall. I think that he is mechanical at times but it works. He needs his height to check out also but it shouldn't be much of an issue.

I do like him more that Landry at this point. I need to see more Landry though because I still have strong reservations about the system.

DeathbyStat
09-06-2011, 06:45 PM
Nick Foles~!

Halsey
09-06-2011, 11:51 PM
Matt "The Cliche" Barkley is a Heisman favorite and the favorite to go #2 overall in April.

CC.SD
09-07-2011, 02:10 PM
He's a junior, you never know, he could stay with USC coming off the bowl-ban finally. Wishful thinking, I know, but I could foresee a Leinart-type situation where he blanches at the team with the #2 pick.

niel89
09-07-2011, 04:18 PM
I could definitely see him possibly staying another year. If he feels like he could comeback with a strong team and compete at a high level in college and make a run for the postseason finally. If he has a poor year and feels like he has to fight to be the #3/4 QB in this class then he might want to come back to be the top guy the next year.

gpngc
09-07-2011, 04:30 PM
He's a junior, you never know, he could stay with USC coming off the bowl-ban finally. Wishful thinking, I know, but I could foresee a Leinart-type situation where he blanches at the team with the #2 pick.

Why wouldn't he want to play for Carroll?

soybean
09-19-2011, 05:11 PM
I know it's only against syracuse but this at least gives a glimpse to his playing style:

OI92Lr_YQZc

TACKLE
09-19-2011, 05:26 PM
Barkley has really grown on me as of late. He has really elevated his game this year and has taken his game to the next level. He's really improved his footwork this year and he still throws one of the prettiest balls in CFB. Personally, I don't really see much if anything that is separating he and Luck right now - but there's a lot of football left to be played and a lot more evaluation that needs to be done.

ElectricEye
09-19-2011, 05:46 PM
I don't think he's an Andrew Luck type prospect and disagree pretty strongly about their not being a separation between the two as prospects, but he's certainly not a bad silver medal by any means. Just really seems to have it all. Love the way he leads his receivers. There's some stuff to work on obviously, but he well could be in the mix as a top five guy and I would certainly prefer him to the next tier of guys.

Hurricanes25
09-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Matt Barkley is really growing on me. Honestly, coming into the year I thought he was overrated. But he has really made a believer in me. I still want to see more though.

In my rankings he is solidly #2, behind Luck and way ahead of Landry Jones.

keylime_5
09-19-2011, 06:28 PM
I like Barkley as the 2nd QB behind Luck as well (clearly behind Luck though of course), but I get the feeling that the NFL people will be split between Jones and Barkley as the #2. There won't be a consensus, but in the end I think Barkley goes top 10 or top 5, and so does Jones with Luck going #1 overall. Barkley is gonna go high, but he's not "way" ahead of Jones.

ATLDirtyBirds
09-19-2011, 08:11 PM
It's going to take a lot for me to move him from two. Behind Luck pretty clearly, but very much ahead of Jones.

SickwithIt1010
09-19-2011, 10:58 PM
Matt has been alot smoother this year and playing more fluid. At times his first 3 years he looked stiff at times and seemed to be too mechanical. Making a lot better throws this year and Kiffen has put the offense in his hands. I think Luck is definitely the number 1 QB in this class, but I think Matt is the clear number 2. I do not think Jones will be anywhere near him come draft day.

SolidGold
09-20-2011, 08:33 AM
I like him alot better than I did Sanchez when he came out. If a QB needy team was picking second I could see him going number 2 overall after Luck.

prock
09-20-2011, 10:13 AM
I know it's only against syracuse but this at least gives a glimpse to his playing style:

OI92Lr_YQZc

Barkley looked good in this, but I came away most impressed with McNeal, but it is just one game in one video.

TheMorningZoo
09-20-2011, 02:31 PM
Obviously Luck is the clearcut #1... But IF Barkley comes out he WILL be a top 10 pick, and should potentially go top 5 if he continues to have a big year. I think he could use more seasoning and another year at USC would help, but if the guy goes in the 1st like projected-he doesn't really have any reason to stay. Wouldn't want to see a Leinart scenario as mentioned.

Babylon
09-20-2011, 02:57 PM
I think he benefits from having a great WR in Robert Woods and a great LT in Matt Kalil. To me a cant miss top 5 pick, especially if teams like the Seahawks, Chiefs and Dolphins are part of that top 5.

ElectricEye
09-20-2011, 03:19 PM
Part of me wonders how much of the discussion of Barkley is colored by Luck. It seems like we're viewing him through a slightly different spectrum. Many of us view Luck as a generational prospect, and rightfully so seemingly....but I just wonder what we would be saying about Barkley without Luck involved. He reminds me a little of Matthew Stafford in that he's a guy who many have had pegged for the NFL since his junior season of high school and has gone out and made drastic improvements to his game every year(as well as gotten more talent around him) in an NFL offense. I think he would be viewed in a similar way if not for Luck being on another pedestal.

Not really important, just something I find kind of interesting. I agree about Barkley being a top ten pick and likely a top five guy. The "Suck for Luck" losers will really have a nice fallback plan.

Saints-Tigers
09-20-2011, 04:06 PM
I like him better than Sanchez, but not nearly as much as I liked Leinart.

F his life? lol

EE, I never liked Barkley that much, and thought his high school rating, his school, and his overall likeability raised his prospects as a Freshman, and I never really thought he looked elite.

Haven't watched a ton this year though, he definitely has all the tools you need, I don't think any of them are ground breaking, but he could definitely be a pro bowler I'd think.

I'd have no problem taking him top 10 if he continues his progression, but I don't think he's all THAT close to Stafford as a prospect.

JHL6719
09-20-2011, 04:29 PM
Barkley went on the road as a true freshman and defeated the Buckeyes in The Shoe... that was impressive. He continues to improve and get better, I like his steady learning curve.

It's not like Andrew Luck is surrounded by scrubs like Matt Ryan was at BC. Jonathan Martin, Chris Owusu, Coby Fleener, David DeCastro, Toby Gerhart, and many more are pretty good players themselves.

We've never seen Luck really be tested by a legitimate, elite college defense.

As for the Barkley/Stafford comparison, I don't ever remember Barkley having a game like Stafford did against Alabama where he went like 5 of 15 for 50 yards and 2 INT's in the first half before Saban called off the dogs in the second half.

Halsey
09-21-2011, 12:24 PM
Barkley looks more and more to me like a lock to go #2. I'm not sure I've seen a potential top two QBs in a Draft as good as Luck/Barkley.

FUNBUNCHER
09-21-2011, 12:35 PM
How do you guys compare Barkley's arm to Stafford's???

DraftSavant
09-21-2011, 04:19 PM

That's just downright laughable.

From charting his games, I can tell that the USC staff doesn't really trust his arm strength. Next time you watch a USC game, pay attention to a) how many throws are designed to go to the boundary (short side of the field) and b) how often they roll him out or waggle him to the field side.

Most people ignorantly and incorrectly think that deep ball success=arm strength (even though his deep balls tend to float, but I digress). One of the biggest giveaways there is with arm strength is the field/boundary split. If a staff is going out of there way to emphasize boundary throws and concurrently tend to roll him out to the field side to make the throws easier, that's a big, big red flag.

I don't understand why people say they like him more than Sanchez or that he's clearly a better prospect than Sanchez. Put Sanchez in that offense for three years instead of one and their results are similar. They're nearly identical as prospects.

PS: I'm not a hater, nor do I dislike Barkley. I think he's clearly a first rounder. However, his arm talent has been overstated since his high school days. The arm strength comparisons to Palmer when he was a freshman were just absurd.

BigBanger
09-21-2011, 04:29 PM
You don't compare them.

ElectricEye
09-21-2011, 04:37 PM
Yeah, I think I started moving the discussion in that direction with comparing the direction of their college careers, but from an arm strength perspective Barkley isn't Stafford. I think people underrate Barkley's arm strength a bit, but he doesn't have have the kind of velocity on his throws that guys with a top grade arm do.

TACKLE
09-21-2011, 04:42 PM
From charting his games, I can tell that the USC staff doesn't really trust his arm strength. Next time you watch a USC game, pay attention to a) how many throws are designed to go to the boundary (short side of the field) and b) how often they roll him out or waggle him to the field side.

I would encourage people to do the same thing with Stanford as I think you'll find the offense demands even less from an arm strength perspective.

Ness
09-24-2011, 02:22 PM

From the small sample size I've seen of Barkley he can't throw it as far as a lot of other guys around. May not have that same velocity on his throws as Stafford does either. Still a fairly accurate guy though.

By the way I would love it if Barkley came to San Francisco.

ninerfan
09-24-2011, 03:37 PM
From the small sample size I've seen of Barkley he can't throw it as far as a lot of other guys around. May not have that same velocity on his throws as Stafford does either. Still a fairly accurate guy though.

By the way I would love it if Barkley came to San Francisco.

Going to need a top 5 pick to get it done

Babylon
09-24-2011, 04:38 PM

Not as good but closer than most people in here seem to think. He can make all the throws so using a jugs gun to try to find a differance to me doesnt make sense.

soybean
09-24-2011, 10:45 PM
I would like to sincerely apologize for the creation of this thread.

I am so utterly sorry.

SolidGold
09-24-2011, 11:13 PM
I would like to sincerely apologize for the creation of this thread.

I am so utterly sorry.

He has had one bad half..doesn't blow up his body of work over his career.

Woody56
09-25-2011, 12:35 AM
He kinda sucks. Not even 10% as good as Luck.

Halsey
09-25-2011, 12:38 AM
OMGZ he threw 2 ints in a loss! Worst QB ever!

BRAVEHEART
09-25-2011, 01:00 AM
As a USC fan and a Bark fan, He's a lil overrated as an NFL prospect (just his arm strength really, cause it's barely above average). With that being said, 1st INT Burfict roamed and got him. 2nd INT, game was over, and Bark threw while he was halfway falling down in desperation.

He was off in the 1st half, but came out strong in the 2nd. I've never been on the Barkely top 5 pick bandwagon. Has no elite measerables. Has all the intangibles though. He's a legit 1st round QB this year or next, but I don't think he should warrant a top 5 pick.

DraftSavant
09-25-2011, 04:39 AM
He has had one bad half..doesn't blow up his body of work over his career.

The body of work really isn't that impressive to begin with. His 4th quarter struggles aren't anything new.

He puts up nice stats against creampuffs at the beginning of the season. Doesn't really do anything against good defenses, and struggles down the stretch, too. His games against UCLA and Notre Dame last year were downright pitiful.

Halsey
09-25-2011, 06:40 PM
Those are just stale, overused criticisms:

If a QB prospect you don't like has a good game, say he did it against a bad defense and try to minimize the performance. When he doesn't have a good game, it's just because he's bad.

Read the same logic used against many other big name prospects.

Oh, and Barkley didn't play last year vs Notre Dame...

keylime_5
09-25-2011, 06:46 PM
As a USC fan and a Bark fan, He's a lil overrated as an NFL prospect (just his arm strength really, cause it's barely above average). With that being said, 1st INT Burfict roamed and got him. 2nd INT, game was over, and Bark threw while he was halfway falling down in desperation.

He was off in the 1st half, but came out strong in the 2nd. I've never been on the Barkely top 5 pick bandwagon. Has no elite measerables. Has all the intangibles though. He's a legit 1st round QB this year or next, but I don't think he should warrant a top 5 pick.

He has a great arm. That won't be a problem. He has the pedigree of a franchise QB and has improved with each year. I don't doubt he'll be a top 5 pick, there have been worse college QBs to go in the top 5 of the draft. Teams are starving for potential franchise QBs, which is why passers who aren't exactly perfect end up going very high in the draft every year. I mean if Gabbert and Locker and Ponder can go top 12, then Barkley can certainly go top 5

BRAVEHEART
09-25-2011, 07:14 PM
He has a great arm. That won't be a problem. He has the pedigree of a franchise QB and has improved with each year. I don't doubt he'll be a top 5 pick, there have been worse college QBs to go in the top 5 of the draft. Teams are starving for potential franchise QBs, which is why passers who aren't exactly perfect end up going very high in the draft every year. I mean if Gabbert and Locker and Ponder can go top 12, then Barkley can certainly go top 5

True. I disagree about his arm though (...it's a good arm).

soybean
10-14-2011, 12:32 AM
I think Barkley is clearly far behind Luck.

I really wish he would stay another year though, I think if he works on a couple nuances he can be the #1 pick next year. Maybe battling RGIII. Potentially also be in the hunt for a NC?

I really like Barkley's ability to zip it accurately and far even when on the run. He's also pretty accurate with his deep ball.

I don't think he goes through all his reads though before he makes his throws. I would like to see him be a little patient with the ball.

RaiderNation
10-14-2011, 01:09 AM
I really do think Barkley will stay for his Senior year, he will have the same thoughts Locker had. He wants to at least win something for the program and I'm sure USC will atleast be in a bowl game next year with the talent they get. The promise of a top 5 pick is hard to pass up, but many have before.

descendency
10-14-2011, 01:32 AM
He's also pretty accurate with his deep ball.

The game against Cal says otherwise.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
10-14-2011, 01:53 AM
I was at the game today and Barkley was very unimpressive. His mid-range and deep-ball accuracy is very inconsistent and his arm is average to below average. Most of his passes are short, but today Cal was looking to shut down the underneath stuff, so he didn't have much success. I think his ceiling is Matt Hasselbeck, but he has a lot to do to get there.

BRAVEHEART
10-14-2011, 02:24 AM
I was at the game today and Barkley was very unimpressive. His mid-range and deep-ball accuracy is very inconsistent and his arm is average to below average. Most of his passes are short, but today Cal was looking to shut down the underneath stuff, so he didn't have much success. I think his ceiling is Matt Hasselbeck, but he has a lot to do to get there.

I wasn't at the game, but his passes were actually going over the recievers heads, not short. I agree about his arm being average though (slightly above maybe, but nothing close to a strong arm).

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
10-14-2011, 04:04 AM
I wasn't at the game, but his passes were actually going over the recievers heads, not short. I agree about his arm being average though (slightly above maybe, but nothing close to a strong arm).

I meant short as in 3-5 yard passes -- but yes, he overshot his receivers a lot on the deep ball.

nepg
10-14-2011, 04:57 AM
I think Barkley is above average in most areas. Not really great at anything. If you asked me why I like him as a potential Franchise QB, I'd have a really hard time selling it. He's not like the QBs from 2011 who had elite measurables and could throw the ball a mile through a tire from their knees. He's more along the lines of Mark Sanchez. Intangibles are SO key with this guy.

ElectricEye
10-14-2011, 05:51 AM
He was JUST missing some of these passes down the field. We're talking half a step here. I know that's important in the NFL, but I'll take a guy who isn't off by much over a guy who is flat out missing and it's worth noting at the very least.

descendency
10-14-2011, 06:02 AM
He was JUST missing some of these passes down the field. We're talking half a step here. I know that's important in the NFL, but I'll take a guy who isn't off by much over a guy who is flat out missing and it's worth noting at the very least.

IMO, some of them were 5 yards too deep.

nepg
10-14-2011, 06:25 AM
Oh, I love Barkley... I'd just have a hard time telling you why if you asked me.

jth1331
10-14-2011, 09:11 AM
I'm starting to think more and more Landry and Barkley might stay for their senior years.

SolidGold
10-14-2011, 09:35 AM
I tend to agree with the sentiment that Barkley will end up staying. Next year they will be bowl eligible again, I think he would like to help lead this team back to a meaningful bowl game his last year at USC.

WCH
10-14-2011, 10:10 AM
He's more along the lines of Mark Sanchez.
Not trying to be "that guy" when I say this, but Mark Sanchez isn't a franchise quarterback. He's an average starting QB who happens to play for a pretty good team.

I like Barkley, but if this is the highest praise we can come up with, then he doesn't even belong in the top-ten discussion.

keylime_5
10-14-2011, 11:32 AM
True. I disagree about his arm though (...it's a good arm).

yeah, i like to say great when i mean good pretty much all the time. for me there's great and then there's not great, hehe.

keylime_5
10-14-2011, 11:36 AM
most of the internet draft gurus seem to have Jones ahead of Barkley, and maybe even are debating Griffin vs Barkley for the 3rd QB. This includes Kiper and Rang and Reuter I think and NFP. They pretty much get a lot of info from what real scouts think. I know it's a mixed bag like any opinion of good QB prospects is - there's guys who love some prospects and guys who hate the same one. Seems like at this point Jones is farther along than Barkley though and if Barkley stays for a 4th year it would be better for him. I think Barkley could potentially have a drop if he came out this year due to things like his size and the shortcomings he's shown of being a good franchise QB at the next level as well as having to compete with at least 2 other top QB prospects who are having better years.

vidae
10-14-2011, 11:46 AM
From what I've seen Barkley is a legit 6'2 while RG3 is more of a 5'11 6'2.. not sure why size would hurt Barkley in this case.

bucfan12
10-14-2011, 11:51 AM
After watching Barkely last night and earlier games this year, he reminds me more and more of Mark Sanchez. I don't think he'll be an elite prospect. He'll be a 1st round QB to a team that's already built for success.

keylime_5
10-14-2011, 12:09 PM
I'm not too worried about Griffin's size considering the type of player he is with his ability to scramble and run. I've heard that people are concerned Barkley is more likely 6'0" or 6'1" which is more of a problem for a true pocket passer. Not a huge deal, but guys who aren't over the 6'2" threshold typically don't go in the top 10, that would cause him to drop IMO.

ElectricEye
10-14-2011, 12:22 PM
Griffin is easily over 6 feet. Easily. Baylor has traditionally been honest about their height/weights too as opposed to places like Florida State a few years back. Few half inches here and there, but a 3 inch disparity would outright shock me and would be 4 inches off his listed high school height. Those always come down...but hardly ever THAT much. Only one or two examples I can think of off the top of my head that have reached that level before.

bucfan12
10-14-2011, 12:22 PM
I'm starting to warm up to Landry Jones a little bit. Honestly, I think both Barkley, Griffith, and Jones stay for there Senior Seasons. Teams have done a much better job of evaluating QBs in the past few years, that I can see Barkely taking a free fall.

Barkely compares to Mark Sanchez very very well. That's not a terrible thing, as I think he'll be a 1st rounder, but he wont go in the top 15 as an elite prospect.

Right now:

1. Luck
2. Jones
3. Foles
4. Barkely
5. Griffin.

nepg
10-14-2011, 12:42 PM
Not trying to be "that guy" when I say this, but Mark Sanchez isn't a franchise quarterback. He's an average starting QB who happens to play for a pretty good team.

I like Barkley, but if this is the highest praise we can come up with, then he doesn't even belong in the top-ten discussion.
I'm talking Sanchez as a prospect....

bucfan12
10-14-2011, 12:54 PM

He was overrated as a prospect. Wasn't worthy of a top 5 selection. Teams are seeing that now and scouts see similarities that compare to Mark Sanchez's game, he won't be a top 5 pick, nor 10 pick.

Babylon
10-14-2011, 01:22 PM

Me too. Even knowing what we know now he's still a top 15 pick. As for Barkely i think he's as big as Sanchez and has a better arm. Cant believe i just said something good about a Jet.

FUNBUNCHER
10-14-2011, 01:49 PM
What happened to the opinion that the 2012 QB class was way better than the top 2011 prospects??

Man I so bought the hype from So Cal draftniks when Barkley graduated Mater Dei that he was the BEST QB prospect from the state since Elway!!lol

Now people are saying his arm isn't even that special.

Do people consider Barkley a prospect who's ceiling is being a capable starter in the NFL, or is there anything potentially exceptional about Barkley's game that might foreshadow his becoming an elite QB??

What's the best thing about Barkley as a prospect??

Last year all the top guys had something about their game that stood out to me as unique. Even Gabbert had elite physical tools although I was underwhelmed by his actual game tape.

I can't get psyched about a guy who's sort of good at everything, but not great.

Babylon
10-14-2011, 01:58 PM
What happened to the opinion that the 2012 QB class was way better than the top 2011 prospects??

Man I so bought the hype from So Cal draftniks when Barkley graduated Mater Dei that he was the BEST QB prospect from the state since Elway!!lol

Do people consider Barkley a prospect who's ceiling is being a capable starter in the NFL, or is there anything potentially exceptional about Barkley's game that might foreshadow his becoming an elite QB??

Last year all the top guys had something about their game that stood out to me as unique. Even Gabbert had elite physical tools although I was underwhelmed by his actual game tape.

I can't get psyched about a guy who's sort of good at everything, but not great.

I like his poise, his accuracy and his arm. It's almost not fair when you're playing with a future all-pro LT and WR but that's not his fault.

DeepThreat
10-14-2011, 02:11 PM
I'm not sure why so many people are down on Barkley. He has above average arm strength, great poise and intelligence, and excellent accuracy. I'm not saying he's Luck, but he's damn good.

SickwithIt1010
10-14-2011, 02:32 PM
Barkley is better than Jones.

Jones is another product of the system at OU. People want to compare him Bradford and what not, but hes not even in the same league as Sam. Barkley has started in a pro style system since the day he got to SC. Hes only gotten better.

His height? hes 6'2" ive stood next to him and I could definitely back him up on that. His arm is above average, he can make all the throws he needs too.

BRAVEHEART
10-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Anybody who's comparing Barkley to Sanchez is just lazy.
Sanchez is clearly more athletic, has a stronger arm, throws better on the run, has more of a gun-slinger mentality, and is better at improvising on broken plays.

Why I like Barkley as a prospect more than Sanchez. More mature on and off the field. Better pocket awareness, better decision maker, way more starting experience, and experience as a leader. He plays at the same level as Sanchez without a good run game, good defense, or experienced play-makers on offense (Woody is the ****, but even he is just a true soph). He's just as competitive as Mark, without being emotional and fiery (can be good or bad depending on how you see it). When Bark has a bad game, he doesn't pout or get down on himself. He's always on to the next play,drive,qtr,game, etc... Barkely avoids the pressure without having the need to scramble (if you watched the game last night, you know what I mean) with an array of evasive moves in the pocket.

While Mark has the edge in measurables, I usually like the QB's with the better mix of intangibles. It's not like rating a Corner or Runningback.

FUNBUNCHER
10-14-2011, 05:17 PM
Sanchez has a stronger arm than Barkley??

Ugh. That's not good, since arm strength isn't one of Mark Sanchez's calling cards in the NFL.

keylime_5
10-14-2011, 06:03 PM
I'm no expert, but from just watching the two of them, Barkley seems to put more zip on his throws with less effort than Sanchez. Biggest difference between Sanchez and Barkley is that Barkley has started since game one as a true freshman while Sanchez only had one full season as starter.

RealityCheck
10-14-2011, 07:27 PM
Stop comparing random QBs just because they played at the same school, please. Let's go ahead and compare Tom Brady and Denard Robinson, or Joey Harrington and Darron Thomas. Doesn't make much sense, does it?

Woody56
10-14-2011, 08:34 PM
Sanchez has a stronger arm than Barkley??

Ugh. That's not good, since arm strength isn't one of Mark Sanchez's calling cards in the NFL.

I've watched every throw Sanchez has had in the NFL and never have I seen or thought a ball was thrown to weakly to get where it has to go. His arm strength is pretty good.

53 on the run

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-playoffs/09000d5d81ddf735

nepg
10-14-2011, 08:37 PM
Sanchez has NFL arm strength, but not much more than that. Nothing wrong with that. He's got a solid arm for a starting QB.

nepg
10-14-2011, 08:38 PM
Stop comparing random QBs just because they played at the same school, please. Let's go ahead and compare Tom Brady and Denard Robinson, or Joey Harrington and Darron Thomas. Doesn't make much sense, does it?
It has nothing to do with their school, for me. It's their skill set and physical attributes.

BRAVEHEART
10-14-2011, 09:04 PM
It has nothing to do with their school, for me. It's their skill set and physical attributes.

Besides for their height, and the offense they play for, what's so similar about them?

SickwithIt1010
10-14-2011, 09:14 PM
Besides for their height, and the offense they play for, what's so similar about them?

not much...

Halsey
10-14-2011, 11:01 PM
Meaningless comparisons of prospects, based heavily on school, are for Draft noobs. School doesn't mean much when a player reaches the NFL. Does playing at Cal make Aaron Rodgers the same as Kyle Boller? It did in the minds of some people back in 2005.

49erNation85
10-14-2011, 11:13 PM
But Tebow and Rex Grossmen went to the same college.What are similar to those guys?

niel89
10-15-2011, 03:34 AM
But Tebow and Rex Grossmen went to the same college.What are similar to those guys?

They know that the long ball is sexy.

DcmRulz
10-15-2011, 05:59 AM
Watching that Cal game has renewed my love for Barkley. I think he's about the closest any team holding #2 is gonna get to a franchise QB. But I think he will need some time to develop in the NFL. He has average NFL arm strength, and he has really good accuracy, location wise. Power-wise...either too light on some throws, or too much zip. He could make them all, but he might need some coaching to get a better grip on how much is needed to make the throws. Reminds me a bit of Eli Manning.

I really think this could be like the 2004 draft on how many QBs have real talent here between Luck, Barkley, Jones, and Griffin (he does do everything there)

TACKLE
10-15-2011, 08:21 PM

can i retract this statement? barkley now sits at #3 on my qb board for that very reason - upside or lack there of.

WCH
10-15-2011, 11:21 PM

Every year, "next years QB class is better." This is possibly the leading meme among draftniks.

jth1331
10-16-2011, 12:24 AM
Barkley is better than Jones.

Jones is another product of the system at OU. People want to compare him Bradford and what not, but hes not even in the same league as Sam. Barkley has started in a pro style system since the day he got to SC. Hes only gotten better.

His height? hes 6'2" ive stood next to him and I could definitely back him up on that. His arm is above average, he can make all the throws he needs too.

lolol Mr. USC and Barkley homer.
Landry has gotten better each year starting at OU, same thing you state about Barkley.
And yeah, lets just say "Landry is another product of OU's system."
Can I say the same thing about Barkley apparently? The same "system" that produced Sanchez and Leinart, 1st round picks?

bored of education
10-16-2011, 09:15 AM
Landry has gotten better each year starting at OU, same thing you state about Barkley.
Can I say the same thing about Barkley apparently? The same "system" that produced Sanchez and Leinart, 1st round picks?

I agree with you about the system. Some game notes i had on Landry vs. Texas

Landry Jones impressed me yesterday. He has a very good arm but is sometimes inconsistent in using it with some floaters on shorter/intermediate routes. He can make that 25 yard dig throw from opposite hash, the back shoulder fade, slants, deep seem. Very good release and throwing motion. He has quiet feet which is a good thing. The offensive system brings out the best in him, but when he needs to make throws he delivered almost all the time yesterday. I only saw 3-4 bad throws, but I also saw 5-7 drops. So his game could have been near flawless with a few catches by his receivers. I liked Landry a lot in the 12-15 yard range going into this year. If he continues this success and improves on this performance through the game vs. Okie St then I could easily see him working his way in to the top 5-7 range.

DeepThreat
10-16-2011, 10:48 AM
Every year, "next years QB class is better." This is possibly the leading meme among draftniks.

I like this QB class a lot more than last year's.

SolidGold
10-16-2011, 11:22 AM

I don't think this is true. Every class has its strength's and weaknesses. At this time last year I think the consensus was the 2011 QB class was weak. No one really expected 4 QBs to go in the first round. It ebbs and flows.

Babylon
10-16-2011, 11:49 AM
I don't think this is true. Every class has its strength's and weaknesses. At this time last year I think the consensus was the 2011 QB class was weak. No one really expected 4 QBs to go in the first round. It ebbs and flows.

I was a little surprised that there weren't 5 or 6 in the first last year but equally surprised at 4 in the top 12.

Not sure i like this year's group as well as last. After Luck i think there is a pretty significant dropoff. I would add that you better shore up that position this year because next year looks rather sad.

onejayhawk
10-16-2011, 12:41 PM

It will take some doing to top the 2011 class, and it was not well regarded. Still, I think 2012 may be a landmark draft, like the Elway/Kelley/Marino draft in the 80s. Luck is the Elway. We will not know for years who the Marino is, if there is one. But RG III, Barkley, Tannehill, Lindley, will all go top 30 picks, and at least one top 10.

J

jth1331
10-17-2011, 10:11 AM
I seriously think the 2011 class will be more remembered as the 1999 class than anything else.
I honestly like any of the top 3 QB's for 2012 IF Barkley and Jones declare more than any QB from this past years draft, although Newton is close.
Locker, Gabbert and Ponder never even remotely impressed me as prospects to be picked so high.

FUNBUNCHER
10-17-2011, 11:11 AM
It will take some doing to top the 2011 class, and it was not well regarded. Still, I think 2012 may be a landmark draft, like the Elway/Kelley/Marino draft in the 80s. Luck is the Elway. We will not know for years who the Marino is, if there is one. But RG III, Barkley, Tannehill, Lindley, will all go top 30 picks, and at least one top 10.

J

Don't know if you realized it, but you basically just said you see three prospects who are potential HOFers in the 2012 class and among the best ever to play their position.

Outside of Luck which is a huge maybe, IMO you'd be reaching to call any of these guys potential HOFers.

This class isn't even up to the standard of the 2004 QB class which gave us Eli Manning/Philip Rivers/Roethlisberger and Matt Schaub in the 3rd round.

That's two lock HOFers in Big Ben and Rivers, and a strong candidate in Eli with Schaub having an outside chance if he can lead the Texans on a run in the playoffs.

vidae
10-17-2011, 12:03 PM
That's two lock HOFers in Big Ben and Rivers, and a strong candidate in Eli with Schaub having an outside chance if he can lead the Texans on a run in the playoffs.

Wait, what is going on here?

DraftSavant
10-17-2011, 12:03 PM

So you're starting to see what I've noticed for three years? ;)

Been saying for awhile now, he's Sanchez all over again. Same skillset, same strengths, same weaknesses. Doesn't have the physical skillset to be a top tier NFL quarterback and will get way overdrafted based on unquantifiables.

He can be a contributing piece to an offense, but he'll never be a foundation player. Doesn't have the physical tools. He's a great touch thrower, but he cannot make stick throws on a consistent basis.

And if anybody says "he plays in a pro style offense," I will punch you in the face.

ATLDirtyBirds
10-17-2011, 12:50 PM
So you're starting to see what I've noticed for three years? ;)

Been saying for awhile now, he's Sanchez all over again. Same skillset, same strengths, same weaknesses. Doesn't have the physical skillset to be a top tier NFL quarterback and will get way overdrafted based on unquantifiables.

He can be a contributing piece to an offense, but he'll never be a foundation player. Doesn't have the physical tools. He's a great touch thrower, but he cannot make stick throws on a consistent basis.

And if anybody says "he plays in a pro style offense," I will punch you in the face.

How about if I say he doesn't play in a spread offense?

Basileus777
10-17-2011, 02:59 PM

Oh, my....

onejayhawk
10-17-2011, 09:59 PM
Don't know if you realized it, but you basically just said you see three prospects who are potential HOFers in the 2012 class and among the best ever to play their position.

Outside of Luck which is a huge maybe, IMO you'd be reaching to call any of these guys potential HOFers.

This class isn't even up to the standard of the 2004 QB class which gave us Eli Manning/Philip Rivers/Roethlisberger and Matt Schaub in the 3rd round.

Valid point. It is remembered as the QB class, so I grabbed it. However, your choice of 2004 is more appropos, because I do see 3 - 4 Pro Bowl level performers as likely.

BTW I would not ahve called Jim Kelley or Dan Marino potential HoF players either. If pressed, I would have gone with Eason.

J

onejayhawk
10-17-2011, 10:04 PM
Oh, my....

+1

Big Ben is a lock no go. River will have to do this for ten more years.

J

tjsunstein
10-17-2011, 10:22 PM
What did I just click into?

nobodyinparticular
10-17-2011, 10:40 PM
What did I just click into?

You summarized my thoughts so well...

SickwithIt1010
10-17-2011, 11:35 PM

Jones is in a gimmick system which tends to produce huge number from its quarterbacks. Barkley has progressed each and every year in a pro style offense.

onejayhawk
10-18-2011, 05:57 AM
Jones is in a gimmick system which tends to produce huge number from its quarterbacks. Barkley has progressed each and every year in a pro style offense.

Barkley has not progressed each year. That is the big argument against him. If you want to see progression, look to RG III. It is a vast difference from 2010. Tannehill and Lindley have also progressed significantly. The most you can say about Barkley is that he polished it a little.

Jones is not in a more gimmicky offense than most college QBs. The number of QBs under center is is dwindling.

J

SolidGold
10-18-2011, 06:49 AM
Barkley has not progressed each year. That is the big argument against him. If you want to see progression, look to RG III. It is a vast difference from 2010. Tannehill and Lindley have also progressed significantly. The most you can say about Barkley is that he polished it a little.

Jones is not in a more gimmicky offense than most college QBs. The number of QBs under center is is dwindling.

J

I would have to argue your wrong about Barkley. So you are saying he is playing at the exact same level he did his freshmen year? Lindley has regressed this year. And we get it, your a Griffin fanboy.

DraftSavant
10-18-2011, 11:06 AM

The USC offense is just as gimmick-y as any spread system. I'd say their WR screen percentage is as high as any team in college football.

I would have to argue your wrong about Barkley. So you are saying he is playing at the exact same level he did his freshmen year? Lindley has regressed this year. And we get it, your a Griffin fanboy.

He's not the same level as he is as a true freshman, but he's about the same as he was last year. Beats up on bad teams, decent arm-strength, touch thrower who struggles with stick throws, uncomfortable with bodies around him. Major concerns about 4th quarter production, performance down the stretch of the season and against better defenses. He is what he is.

I will say, though, that Andy Dalton's early success has me re-thinking my Barkley evaluation. Similar players, IMO.

soybean
10-18-2011, 08:57 PM
Andrew Luck vs. Washington State
yDYoNqVUwnA

Matt Barkley vs. Cal
CvZjvjqcMdE

The biggest difference I can see is how Luck goes through his reads before making his throws, where as Barkley's are more predetermined. I hope that he'll learn via practice and experience, but I don't know.

WCH
10-18-2011, 09:49 PM

If Eli or Schaub make it in before Ken Anderson, I might just kick a puppy.

NotRickJames
10-18-2011, 09:51 PM
He's not coming out this year. I know this is the type of comment that people roll their eyes at but, I have a very, very legitimate source. Guarantee

SickwithIt1010
10-18-2011, 10:26 PM
The USC offense is just as gimmick-y as any spread system. I'd say their WR screen percentage is as high as any team in college football.

Its a pro style offense. There is nothing gimmicky about USC's offense lol. They run screens because Woods is their best playmaker.

J

Youre high if you dont think hes progressed every year. Ive watched every game hes played in while hes been at USC...I have seen a significant difference each year hes been there.

onejayhawk
10-19-2011, 09:16 AM
If Eli or Schaub make it in before Ken Anderson, I might just kick a puppy.

There is a name. Compare RG III to Ken Anderson.

J

DraftSavant
10-19-2011, 10:39 AM
Its a pro style offense. There is nothing gimmicky about USC's offense lol. They run screens because Woods is their best playmaker.

Youre high if you dont think hes progressed every year. Ive watched every game hes played in while hes been at USC...I have seen a significant difference each year hes been there.

Just because it is a primarily two back offense out of traditional formations does not mean it's a pro style offense. The term "pro style offense" doesn't even ******* mean anything. It's an empty cliche used by people who don't know how to describe what they're seeing.

No college team runs a pro style offense. I promise you.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
10-19-2011, 01:31 PM
He's not coming out this year. I know this is the type of comment that people roll their eyes at but, I have a very, very legitimate source. Guarantee

Is this the same guarantee that Jordan Todman wouldn't go pro?

niel89
10-19-2011, 01:34 PM
Just because it is a primarily two back offense out of traditional formations does not mean it's a pro style offense. The term "pro style offense" doesn't even ******* mean anything. It's an empty cliche used by people who don't know how to describe what they're seeing.

I agree man. It's getting increasingly difficult to even distinguish because teams are using so many concepts and formations now days. It's not crazy to see a 'pro style team' go 5 wide shotgun for a drive and attack like a spread offense. Its foolish for teams to not have the option of using these different attacks. WR bubble screens are apart of almost every teams playbook by now.

In college why try to force a QB to do 4 reads when a predetermined to man read using only half the field works just fine at this level?

CC.SD
10-19-2011, 01:43 PM
I don't understand how anyone could think the USC offense is gimmicky, or how they could miss Barkley's progression year-to-year, if they were watching the games. Barkely's got all the talent in the world, not a perfect prospect but better than quite a few NFL quarterbacks right now and will be a first round pick. Probably a high one.

Leon Sandcastle
10-22-2011, 07:21 PM
Looks good so far against the Irish. 2 TD's early.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
10-22-2011, 08:04 PM
It's hard for me to evaluate Barkley because all of his throws look so easy. Either he throws a checkdown, a screen, or his WR is wide open 8 yards downfield. His arm is average, solid athleticism, looks like he makes good reads, but what separates that from Matt Leinart?

BRAVEHEART
10-22-2011, 08:11 PM
It's hard for me to evaluate Barkley because all of his throws look so easy. Either he throws a checkdown, a screen, or his WR is wide open 8 yards downfield. His arm is average, solid athleticism, looks like he makes good reads, but what separates that from Matt Leinart?

Maturity.

(10 Char).

Halsey
10-22-2011, 08:15 PM
The Barkley to Leinart comparisons are totally legit, because they went to the same school. Going to the same school makes two players just alike.

Aaron Rodgers = Kyle Boller

BRAVEHEART
10-22-2011, 08:25 PM
The Barkley to Leinart comparisons are totally legit, because they went to the same school. Going to the same school makes two players just alike.

But Barkley and Leinart also went to the same High School too. lol

Also, what separates Barkley from the other prospects can't be measured. It's intangibles.

FUNBUNCHER
10-22-2011, 09:47 PM

Maybe I'm not being fair, but I'd like to see Barkley and USC play a clearly superior team like Alabama or LSU and see how he performs under serious adversity.
Barkley never really seems like he's experiencing much pressure under center and is never really required to take his game up a notch.

djp
10-22-2011, 09:50 PM
Maybe I'm not being fair, but I'd like to see Barkley and USC play a clearly superior team like Alabama or LSU and see how he performs under serious adversity.
Barkley never really seems like he's experiencing much pressure under center and is never really required to take his game up a notch.

I saw him get pressured a couple times and have some nice scrambles and throws on the run tonight. I echo your sentiment somewhat, especially wanting to see him play an absolute top defense. Hopefully we can get that this year, whether it be a Pac 12 squad or someone in a bowl ga.... wait... that sucks. (getting in my USC dig before Miami's sanctions are revealed)

BRAVEHEART
10-22-2011, 09:54 PM

Oh, he does, that's part of his game I love. He's smart under pressure. Doesn't allow to be sacked, and doesn't force the ball. He's not a moblie QB, but has great moves to evade pressure.

SchizophrenicBatman
10-23-2011, 12:03 PM
I don't know why people run down Barkley's arm. He has a good arm. It's a plus just like Gabbert's was last year. You don't have to be Jamarcus Russell for people to say you have a good arm

DraftSavant
10-24-2011, 11:01 AM

I don't think he's like Leinart at all. Closest comparison for me would probably be Clausen.

Still waiting to see how he performs down the stretch of the season, too.

keylime_5
10-24-2011, 11:06 AM

when people call it a pro style offense, it means it has 2 backs, and the QB takes snaps under center. It's not the triple option, it's not the spread. It doesn't imply that it is a pro offense, just a pro style one. You can run a pro style in high school. It doesn't mean you have pro terminology and presnap reads and motion, etc. It's just a term for how the plays are set.

As far as it being better for setting guys up for the next level...well taking snaps under center, turning your back to the defense before you throw and using dropback play action is a lot better experience for the NFL than any other offense in college.

Halsey
10-24-2011, 11:36 AM
I don't think he's like Leinart at all. Closest comparison for me would probably be Clausen.

Still waiting to see how he performs down the stretch of the season, too.

Aren't you the guy who said Barkley played terribly last year vs Notre Dame, even though Barkley didn't play vs Notre Dame last season? Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was you.

Clausen and Barkley are just alike, except that Barkley shows significantly better leadership qualities, is a better passer, and wins more.

DraftSavant
10-24-2011, 11:45 AM
Aren't you the guy who said Barkley played terribly last year vs Notre Dame, even though Barkley didn't play vs Notre Dame last season? Yeah, I'm pretty sure that was you.

Clausen and Barkley are just alike, except that Barkley shows significantly better leadership qualities, is a better passer, and wins more.

Yes, I said Notre Dame even though he didn't play. Meant the Oregon State game. And the overall point stood - the last two games he played in last season were absolute dog crap.

The comparison to Clausen comes from the two's skillset. Maybe you know both of them personally and can expound on the leadership stuff, but I don't and won't pretend to.

vidae
10-24-2011, 11:54 AM
I don't know why people run down Barkley's arm. He has a good arm. It's a plus just like Gabbert's was last year. You don't have to be Jamarcus Russell for people to say you have a good arm

You do around these parts!

Chris
10-24-2011, 12:03 PM
Under the right coach and scenario, preferably a West Coast Offense, Matt Barkley would shine. I think that Seattle or Washington would be absolutely tremendous opportunities for Matt.

Halsey
10-24-2011, 12:08 PM
If you're a Draft savant, you should know that Clausen got into some trouble off the field at Notre Dame, and had a reputation for rubbing people the wrong way, including teammates. Barkley has a reputation for being a choir boy who is active in charities and church related events in his free time.

Also, if you objectively observe the two of them, you should just be able to tell that Barkley shows more signs of having what it takes between the ears. If you can't see that, you're missing the obvious.

SickwithIt1010
10-24-2011, 09:11 PM
Barkley and Clausen? Yucky comparison.

BRAVEHEART
10-24-2011, 09:35 PM
Didn't this Draft Savant guy say Barkley=Sanchez, now he's saying Barkley=Clausen?

They're all the same height, good touch throwers, but they all differ after that.

soybean
10-26-2011, 05:20 PM
Matt Barkley vs. Notre Dame
hbj81hIK4W0

Andrew Luck vs. Washington
VWOMTBp5M-Q

SickwithIt1010
10-27-2011, 02:31 PM
Barkley and Luck square off saturday night in LA. Will be an awesome game to watch. I have Luck as my top QB by a distance, but it will be cool to see how Barkley compares saturday night, hes been playing great football.

soybean
10-30-2011, 06:35 PM
Loved Barkley's game last night. Just to keep this thread alive here's some of highlights from yesterday.

I really liked his throw on 2:14 (just the awareness and his ability to make the read)

WBb941M0R48

DiG
10-30-2011, 09:37 PM
the first half was tough for barkley. i think usc had like 4 yards rushing in the first half. even so, i thought he played well considering there was no balance until the second half. quick release on the first td to lee and nice touch on the first overtime td.

DraftSavant
10-31-2011, 11:10 AM
Very good game for him, and he's starting to answer questions I've had about him.

This is nitpicky, but the one area I saw him struggle in was making stick throws into tight windows when Stanford when into man coverage. He was very good at throwing his receivers open on fade routes against man, though. Once he cleans up his footwork, ball placement shouldn't really be an issue for him. Kinda inconsistent right now, but that's fixable.

If he can make it through the back end of the schedule without any letdowns (which he's been prone to do in his freshman and sophomore seasons), I'll be a believer.

SolidGold
10-31-2011, 12:25 PM
As the NFL season as progressed I would argue that QB play has declined this season (after a fast start). I think once again QBs will be at a premium come draft day. I think Barkley has played well and developed as a passer, I have argued his case for staying in school for his senior year just so he would get to play for a bowl eligible team and be a potential number 1 overall pick. With the way things are looking with QBs in the NFL, I think it might be better for him to just go ahead and move onto the next level. In my mind he has entrenched himself as the second best QB prospect behind Luck. He will be a top 5 pick.

The Browns, Dolphins, Broncos (yea I am a Tebow supporter but fully admit he isn't an NFL QB at this point and may never be so I eat crow on him), Redskins and Seahawks are the most QB needy teams. The Colts are a wildcard depending on Manning's health. All the teams I just listed have potential of picking Top 10. I wouldn't be surprised if their were four QBs picked in the top 10 next season, similar to last season.

FUNBUNCHER
10-31-2011, 12:44 PM
Just based on physical tools, are Dalton and Barkley almost exact clones??

Punisher
10-31-2011, 12:46 PM

They are absolutely nothing alike.

Babylon
10-31-2011, 01:40 PM

They're close in size but i think Barkely is a little more soldly built. Armwise i think Barkely is much superior.

whatadai
10-31-2011, 04:21 PM
I think Barkley solidified himself as the #2 QB on Saturday. I can't believe I paid for a seat in the Coliseum since I barely sat in it all game. FUCKEN AMAZING GAME...too bad they lost.

Punisher
11-01-2011, 12:59 PM
When I watch Barkley play I see a real comparison between him and Eli Manning. Barkley doesn't have the same arm strength, but the way they move in the pocket and the decision making is pretty similar.

Edit: Yes I know Eli is bigger than Matt

RaiderNation
11-01-2011, 01:02 PM
When I watch Barkley play I see a real comparison between him and Eli Manning. Barkley doesn't have the same arm strength, but the way they move in the pocket and the decision making is pretty similar.

I think thats a decent comparison, even though Barkley doesn't have the height. They play similar and I think that Manning and Barkley have similar ceilings.

RaiderNation
11-05-2011, 03:53 AM
Barkley threw a USC record 6 TDs with 318 yards passing and 1 int. Very impressive game and he is the clear cut #2 QB if he declares this year.

DcmRulz
11-05-2011, 05:32 PM

Edit: Yes I know Eli is bigger than Matt

I thought the same thing.

Leon Sandcastle
11-05-2011, 06:54 PM
Barkley threw a USC record 6 TDs with 318 yards passing and 1 int. Very impressive game and he is the clear cut #2 QB if he declares this year.

Yeah but that INT was horrifying. LOL! He's easily the #2nd rated QB for me.