PDA

View Full Version : Undrafted FA to make your roster

bearsfan_51
09-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Just curious how many non-draftees were able to make a squad this year. The Bears are currently sitting with a whopping 5, largely because they were able to convince a lot of guys they would have a shot at making the team.

They are:

Dane Sanzenbacher, WR (Ohio State)
Kyle Adams, TE/FB (Purdue)
Mario Addison, DE (Troy)
Dom DeCicco, LB (Pittsburgh)
Winston Venable, S (Boise State)

Conversely, what rookie draft picks were cut this year?

Giantsfan1080
09-03-2011, 06:10 PM
Giants had 3 UDFA's to make the team. Hynoski on offense and Herzlich and Paysinger for the defense.

Mr. Goosemahn
09-03-2011, 06:11 PM
Just curious how many non-draftees were able to make a squad this year. The Bears are currently sitting with a whopping 5, largely because they were able to convince a lot of guys they would have a shot at making the team.

They are:

Mario Addison, DE (Troy)

There's Kyle Adams!!!

I was wondering where he ended up. You're my boy, Kyle!

As for Pittsburgh:

Made it:
TE Weslye Saunders

Cut:
OG Keith Williams (6th rounder) - will probably be signed onto the PS

BloodBrother
09-03-2011, 06:13 PM
Packers had 3 UDFA make it

LB Vic So'oto
LB Jamari Lattimore
S M.D. Jennings

Draft picks from this year who got cut were

OL Caleb Schlauderaff(Traded) - drafted in 6th round. Showed little to nothing all camp
LB Ricky Elmore - drafted in 6th round, just wasn't made to play in the 3-4. Looked horrible out there in all phases, got outplayed by the 2 UDFA who ended up making the team. Again though, he just wasn't a good fit for the 3-4. Maybe he can stick on a 4-3 team at DE.

SuperMcGee
09-03-2011, 06:14 PM
OLB Robert Eddins (Ball State) and TE Zach Pianalto (North Carolina) were the only UDFA to crack our squad this year.

7th-round elephant Michael Jasper did not make the team after an attempted conversion to NT.

UKfan
09-03-2011, 06:15 PM
None of our rookies were cut this year, UDFA's to make it were:

Caldwell, David DB
Evans, Darren RB
Lefeged, Joe DB
McNeill, Mike TE
Moten, Adrian LB
Spann, Chad RB

I think that's all of them

Go_Eagles77
09-03-2011, 06:17 PM
Punter Chas Henry and DT Cedric Thornton made it for the eagles. Henry was a no-brainer considering he was the only punter on the team since the lockout ended, but Thornton was a surprise considering they let go of guys like Anthony Hargrove and Derek Landri who outplayed him throughout TC/Preseason. I'll be very surprised if he's still around once Brandon Graham gets off PUP.

DoughBoy
09-03-2011, 06:17 PM
Packers had 3 UDFA make it

LB Vic So'oto
LB Jamari Lattimore
S M.D. Jennings

Draft picks from this year who got cut were

OL Caleb Schlauderaff(Traded) - drafted in 6th round. Showed little to nothing all camp
LB Ricky Elmore - drafted in 6th round, just wasn't made to play in the 3-4. Looked horrible out there in all phases, got outplayed by the 2 UDFA who ended up making the team

I knew Jamari was going to make a team. He is alot like Eric Walden, just needs a couple of years to put on some weight.

bearsfan_51
09-03-2011, 06:20 PM
Giants had 3 UDFA's to make the team. Hynoski on offense and Herzlich and Paysinger for the defense.
First names, these are undrafted FAs.

BloodBrother
09-03-2011, 06:24 PM
I knew Jamari was going to make a team. He is alot like Eric Walden, just needs a couple of years to put on some weight.

Speaking of Walden, dude looks insanely jacked this year. Definitely added a good 10-15 lbs

as far as Lattimore goes, I liked what I saw, but I'm a little surprised he made it immediately. Figured they would have stashed him on the PS and had him use the year to bulk up, but I guess they didn't want to risk the chance at losing him.

Giantsfan1080
09-03-2011, 06:27 PM
First names, these are undrafted FAs.

Well I figured Hynoski and Herzlich were two of the bigger name UDFA's so everyone would have recognized them. Anyway it's FB Henry Hynoski(Pittsburgh), LB Mark Herzlich(Boston College), and LB Spencer Paysinger(Oregon).

Xiomera
09-03-2011, 06:31 PM
I could be mistaken, but I don't think a single UDFA is gonna make the Lions' roster.

bearsfan_51
09-03-2011, 06:31 PM
I could be mistaken, but I don't think a single UDFA is gonna make the Lions' roster.
The Lions are loaded. Superbowl.

yo123
09-03-2011, 06:34 PM
Pretty sure there was only two for the Vikes

Allen Reisner- TE from Iowa
Larry Dean- LB from Valdosta State

We cut 6th round LB Ross Homan and 7th round WR Stephen Burton.

Scotty D
09-03-2011, 06:40 PM

Donahue beat out Nic Harris. Lions cut safety Ricardo Silva but should have found a way to keep him. I wouldn't be surprised it he latches on somewhere else. Hopefully he makes it to the practice squad.

Caddy
09-03-2011, 07:09 PM
Devin Holland, S from McNeese St was the only UDFA to make the Bucs this year.

ElectricEye
09-03-2011, 07:22 PM
Jeff Tarpinian made the roster, which is a surprise. Should be a special teamer.

Will Yeatman looked like he was a lock after Lee Smith was waived(and in general, word is the team was really high on him), but he was cut today. Curious considering that leaves us without a true blocking tight end and with just two on the roster.

vidae
09-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Brandon Bair was the only UDFA rookie to make our 53 today.

ElectricEye
09-03-2011, 07:36 PM
Brandon Bair was the only UDFA rookie to make our 53 today.

That's nice to hear. Really liked him coming out. He was unblockable in the Shrine game. Really underrated.

VernonLawson89
09-03-2011, 08:59 PM
D-Lineman Ian Williams and Demarcus Dobbs both made the 49ers.

Woody56
09-03-2011, 09:05 PM
Only LB Nick Bellore made the Jets

Unbiased
09-03-2011, 09:09 PM
Jaguars kept Kevin Rutland, CB from Missouri, Jamar Newsome, WR from Central Florida, and Cameron Bradfield, OT from Grand Valley State.

Rutland was a very draftable prospect. Newsome was too impressive in the preseason at a position of need. Bradfield was a surprise to me.

keylime_5
09-03-2011, 09:13 PM
Browns kept:

DB James Dockery (Oregon State)
RB Armond Smith (Union College)
LB Benjamin Jacobs (Fresno State)

and though he's not a rookie, he was an UDFA in 2010, we kept Auston English.

Dockery looks like he's gonna stick around in a league for a while at DB. Potential gem.

Pat Sims 90
09-03-2011, 09:17 PM
Only UDFA to make it on the Bengals was TE Colin Cochart because Bo Scaife ended up on IR. Cochart will be used as a blocking TE.

7th RD RB Jay Finley and 7th RD CB Korey Lindsey both got cut. Both will prolly make it on PS.

49ersfan_87
09-03-2011, 09:57 PM
D-Lineman Ian Williams and Demarcus Dobbs both made the 49ers.

Yep, and the only rookie to not make the squad was 6th rounder Ronald Johnson, WR, USC.

Thecollegedropout
09-03-2011, 10:22 PM
Jets:
UDFA to make the team
ILB Nick Bellore, Central Michigan(Was real good this year in preseason. I think he can be something moving forward into the season)

UDFA to not make the team:
TE Josh Baker(Did good by all accounts and was one of the final cuts. Jets would like to sign him to the practice squad I would imagine)

LB Matt Berning(Was very good and well liked by the coaching staff but he was a victim of being in a crowded LB core. McIntyre, Maybin, Westerman, Bellore all got spots over him. Hoping he can stick to the Jets practice squad)

7th rounder WR Scotty McKnight got cut but will probably be signed onto the Jets practice squad. He hasn't fully lost though, he's still dating Hayden Panettiere. Had a TD in the last game of the preseason but he never stood out. Was drafted to make McKnight's childhood friend Mark Sanchez happy I would guess.

jsagan77
09-03-2011, 10:51 PM
Mario Addison was one of my favorite prospects in the draft. Reminded me of Von Miller quite a bit. Obviously not the top shelf talent he is, but he has potential to be really good. Glad he caught on somewhere.

Skins had UDFA OT Willie Smith make the team

They are:

Mario Addison, DE (Troy)

Brent
09-03-2011, 10:54 PM
for the Niners, Ian Williams and Demarcus Dobbs made the final 53.

niel89
09-04-2011, 03:02 AM
Baltimore had 2 guys make the team this year. Maryland WR LaQuan Williams and NC LB/DE Michael McAdoo. Interesting seeing McAdoo make the team after such a short period with the team after the supplemental draft. We really must have not wanted him to see waivers.

All the draft picks made the team this year, even 7th round RB Anthony Allen (GT).

CJSchneider
09-04-2011, 09:16 AM
Saints

Isa Abdul-Quddus, Safety, Fordham
Joseph Morgan, WR, Walsh
Jeremiah Hunter, LB, Iowa

Unbiased
09-04-2011, 10:24 AM
Nick Bellore of the Jets and Joe Morgan of the Saints were very impressive in the preseason. Glad to see them get rewarded like that.

CC.SD
09-04-2011, 11:14 AM
We snag an UDFA or two every year, this time it's Brian Walters WR and Darryl Gamble OLB, both of whom made a bunch of plays in the preseason. Not a lot of PT available but happy they made the squad.

asdf1223
09-04-2011, 11:37 AM
QB Josh Portis , WR Doug Baldwin and SS Jeron Johnson made the Seahawks as UDFA's. Mark Legree our 5th round pick got cut. Talented guy but got caught in the roster crunch. Should get a shot elsewhere or at worst stick in our PS.

lowlife
09-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Devin Holland, S from McNeese St was the only UDFA to make the Bucs this year.
You forgot the legend of Christian Yount, LS UCLA.
Also Raymond Webber, WR Arkansas-Pine Bluff made the team... on IR.
Expecting a few more to be added before/throughout the season.

5th round pick Ahmad Black didn't make the team, got a high ankle sprain at the wrong time while other safeties on the team played well. Don't really get why he couldn't be PUPed though.

7th round pick Daniel Hardy didn't make it either. Weird considering there's only 2 TEs on the roster now, one with mush for a knee and the other missed the majority of preseason/camp due to injury.

Saints-Tigers
09-04-2011, 11:48 AM
Saints

Isa Abdul-Quddus, Safety, Fordham
Joseph Morgan, WR, Walsh
Jeremiah Hunter, LB, Iowa

All and all, the Saints have 19 guys on the roster who weren't drafted.

49ersfan_87
09-04-2011, 04:34 PM
Add Scott Tolzien to the 49ers. He was claimed off waivers after being released by the Chargers.

Go_Eagles77
09-04-2011, 04:43 PM
Punter Chas Henry and DT Cedric Thornton made it for the eagles. Henry was a no-brainer considering he was the only punter on the team since the lockout ended, but Thornton was a surprise considering they let go of guys like Anthony Hargrove and Derek Landri who outplayed him throughout TC/Preseason. I'll be very surprised if he's still around once Brandon Graham gets off PUP.
Looks like I gave him too much credit, Thornton cut today after signing Colts G Kyle DeVan off waivers.

xnhd12
09-04-2011, 04:48 PM
Ravens:
LaQuan Williams, WR, Maryland
Michael McAdoo, DE, North Carolina

Caddy
09-04-2011, 06:29 PM
You forgot the legend of Christian Yount, LS UCLA.
Also Raymond Webber, WR Arkansas-Pine Bluff made the team... on IR.
Expecting a few more to be added before/throughout the season.

5th round pick Ahmad Black didn't make the team, got a high ankle sprain at the wrong time while other safeties on the team played well. Don't really get why he couldn't be PUPed though.

7th round pick Daniel Hardy didn't make it either. Weird considering there's only 2 TEs on the roster now, one with mush for a knee and the other missed the majority of preseason/camp due to injury.

:\

Nobody cares about long snappers! And making the IR list doesn't count!!

ATLDirtyBirds
09-04-2011, 09:17 PM
CB Darrin Walls (Notre Dame). He's looked very, very good this preseason and reportedly in camp as well.

Purely a ST guy at this point after the signing of Hayden though.

tjsunstein
09-05-2011, 01:42 PM
No one updated this for the Packers as far as I can tell, who I thought had some interesting names.

M.D. Jennings, S, Arkansas State
Jammari Lattimore, LB, Middle Tennessee State
Vic So'oto, LB, BYU

NY+Giants=NYG
09-05-2011, 02:04 PM
Giants:

LB Mark Herzlich
LB Spencer Paysinger
FB Henry Hynoski

keylime_5
09-05-2011, 02:23 PM
well after waiver wire additions, Browns cut Benjamin Jacobs but added Quinton Spears and Emmanuel Stephens.

ATLDirtyBirds
09-05-2011, 05:19 PM
well after waiver wire additions, Browns cut Benjamin Jacobs but added Quinton Spears and Emmanuel Stephens.

Emmanuel Stephens played quite well during the pre season. We gave him a lot of looks. We probably wanted him on the practice squad.

M.O.T.H.
09-05-2011, 06:24 PM
We kept:

C Kevin Kowalski
HB Phillip Tanner
OLB Alex Albright
K Dan Bailey

We cut:

CB Josh Thomas (one of only five, 5th rounders to be cut around the league)
FB Shaun Chapas (made his way to our PS)

Of our current 53 man roster...19 of the guys wents undrafted. 6 are starters.