PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Draft Discussion

BUSTKUNTLAWL
09-03-2011, 08:12 PM
I just noticed Scott has us taking Cordy Glenn in the first round.

Glenn is a huge OG(6'5" 350lbs) from Georgia. Who I know nothing about.

I am watching Boise State vs Georgia right now and Glenn is playing LT.

rawdawg
09-04-2011, 05:41 PM
I don't like him. He's an NFL guard, but I don't think he's aggressive enough. I think he's more "fat" than big. If we're going really large OG, I'd hope we go Kelechi Osemele or Brandon Washington out of Miami. Hopefully, Williams and Louis work out at guard so Bears can go CB or WR early.

sorcerer
11-29-2011, 04:07 PM
A shut down corner is clearly #1. Tillman is 31 and the others are nothing special. If the Bears are to compete with Detroit (megatron) and Green Bay receivers for the next 3-4 years they need to invest a high pick on a big corner. They might have to package their #1 and one of their #3s to get in the top 15 to get someone however. #2 should go to a OLB who can blitz the QB for the same reason above. You can not count on a front 4 to get sufficient pressure on a good QB today. After that you can go offensive line and receiver with picks 3 thru 5.

regoob2
11-29-2011, 07:31 PM
DE is our biggest need imo even ahead of WR. Idonije and Wootton are garbage. Wootton may improve but is a backup now at best. Im starting the trade up for Quinton Coples bandwagon.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
12-07-2011, 12:27 PM
Apple of my eye, Tommy Streeter, just declared. Where he's not the best receiver in this class, he might be the most gifted, which gives him a shot to end up the best. Especially with Jays confidence to throw it up to his guys.

He's also a pretty sudden athlete which is much more important than size or speed at WR. But hes got that too.

demimo
12-07-2011, 09:15 PM
Dashon Goldson and Doucet fined for punching
?Dashon Goldson was fined by the league $25K for throwing punches at Cardinals WR Early Doucet.

According to the reports on Tuesday, Goldson avoided suspension, and he is active for the San Francisco 49ers (http://www.comjerseyscom.com/Sports-outdoors/Nfl-jerseys-Football-jersey-Jerseys-Wholesale/San-Francisco-49ers-Nfl-Jerseys/)' Thanksgiving contest in Baltimore. Goldson was penalized 15 yards and ejected for throwing punches at Doucet, who appeared to instigate the incident when he took a swipe at Goldson while he was on the ground.

The players got tangled early in the fourth quarter on a play on which Aldon Smith sacked Arizona Cardinals (http://www.comjerseyscom.com/Sports-outdoors/Nfl-jerseys-Football-jersey-Jerseys-Wholesale/Arizona-Cardinals-Nfl-Jerseys/) quarterback Richard Bartel.

While Doucet was also fined $10,000 for unnecessary roughness when he struck Goldson in the helmet area . Goldson then threw his punches.

Goldson was down away from the ball when he got blindsided and slapped on the back of the helmet by Doucet, at the end of a play early in the fourth quarter.

Goldson jumped up, confronted him and both began swinging wildly. Goldson then threw a series of punches to Doucet's facemask and received a 15-yard personal foul penalty before being ejected.

Bearsfan123
12-08-2011, 08:56 PM
Here's my predicted Bears draft:

1st rd: Andre Branch DE
2nd rd: Trumaine Johnson CB
3rd rd carolina: Tommy Streeter WR
3rd rd: Lucas Nix OG

regoob2
12-10-2011, 12:43 PM
Here's my predicted Bears draft:

1st rd: Andre Branch DE
2nd rd: Trumaine Johnson CB
3rd rd carolina: Tommy Streeter WR
3rd rd: Lucas Nix OG
That would be terrible. Branch isnt a 1st round pick and Johnson isnt a 2nd. Streeter is also horribly overrated. He's a late rounder imo.

IBleedNavyandOrange
01-06-2012, 10:00 AM
Been away for a while, but now that the season's over, I'm hungry for the future, and seeing what guys like Megatron and Green can do for QBs like Stafford and Dalton, I thought this would be the place to find out what WR the Bears would be taking in April.

First, my analysis of needs:
1) WR. Without a doubt, this is what will help Cutler the most (see Green Bay, Detroit, Cincinnati, and SF for what a good WR can do for a QB). And Cutler--more than Forte--is the key to the offense. Is there a true #1 WR prospect in the mid-1st round? 1st-round WRs tend to flop more often than they excel (see DT for a prime example on the Bears, or anyone with the last name of Williams on other teams), but I think it's high time the Bears drafted a WR in the 1st round again. And maybe with someone other than JA doing the evaluating, the right guy will get picked.

2) DE. Plain and simple, it all starts with the pass rush. Look at the games the Bears won this year, versus the ones they lost. The ones they won--with the exception of SD--the pass rush was present. The ones they lost, the pass rush was anemic. Izzy didn't have the mojo this year, and Wooton's injury/ineffectiveness hurt, too. If there's a better mid-1st round DE prospect than WR prospect, I'd be happy to see the guy drafted. But there needs to be a good DE opposite Pep. And, for those who think that DE is a lower priority than 1a/2, just remember that Pep is nearing the end of his career, and a young DE isn't just for "today" playing opposite Pep, but a good young DE is "tomorrow's" replacement for Pep.

3) LT. The reasons why I don't rank this higher are: Webb isn't total garbage; I hold out hope that Williams might someday move back to LT; there could be FAs available and the Bears look good on cap space; Cutler was playing the best football of his career mid-season with Webb protecting him (that's not to say that Cutler would've done even better with a better LT, but in the end, I think a 1st-round WR will improve the offense more than a 1st-round LT).

4) CB. This is a need, but people get too obsessed with the notion of a "shut-down" corner. I've noted this elsewhere, but will repeat it in a more concise manner here: the Bears' defensive scheme neither requires nor utilizes a "shut-down" CB. Tillman is a prototype Cover-2 CB. Get a Tillman-like guy who's a bit smaller & quicker, and the defense is good to go. Basically, get another Vasher--minus the injuries and the stunning collapse.

5a) LB. Either a long-term project to step in for #54 or a guy who might compete with Roach for the Mike position (or a guy who can do both).

5b) Safety. Conte--as long as he gets and stays healthy--might be the answer at FS. But despite every other Safety on the team being better suited to SS, I still don't like the personnel. Wright, in addition to being fragile, takes lousy angles, ducks his head, and misses too many tackles. Steltz looked decent when he was put on the spot in 2011, but I don't think he's the guy you want starting at SS. Meriweather needs to go. I'd rank this a bigger need than LB, but my understanding is that this is going to be a weak draft for Safeties), and the Bears need more LBs on the roster, period. If the CB situation were more settled, I'd be up for converting Peanut to Safety--but Peanut would be best used at FS, and there's no point in taking time/reps away from Conte.

7) QB. With someone other than JA evaluating talent, and someone other than what the Bears have had coaching/developing talent, invest a mid-to-late round pick in a sleeper/small-school guy as a potential backup/replacement for Cutler.

8) TE. I like the TEs the Bears have now, but Kellen Davis needs to live up to his hype (i.e., he needs to run better routes and soften up his hands). Also, the way the Patriots and the Saints use their TEs, I think it would be a good idea if the Bears had a guy like that. However, I make this a low-priority because it's very possible (and maybe this is just wishful thinking) that the Bears can eventually get Olsen back when he's a FA, and with a different set of coaches, they can utilize him.

stl705
01-14-2012, 09:47 AM
My number one priority is the secondary.

I would like to see us sign a good Corner in FA and then draft one with our 1/2nd rounder. We still need another solid Safety or two as well depending if Major Wright can step up.

Obviously, like others have said, WR should be a priority. I would love for the Bears to take Michael Floyd, or Blackmon, but I think he'll be gone by our pick.

3rd priority imo, is the O-line. We're making strides, but we still need to boster depth and quality of our starting line.

I also agree our pash rush needs work whether that be via OLB or a DE.

Finally Angelo is gone so we don't have to watch crappy safeties being drafted every year in the 2/3rd rounds while our O-line continues to get ignored... so i hope!

kBuc5
02-18-2012, 09:18 AM
Quick question Bears fan, likely hood of the Bears tyring to do what Atlanta did last year in trading up for Julio Jones with the Buc's this year at number 5 if Justin Blackmon is there? Or do you just have to many holes to fill to give up a 1st 2nd and 4th this year and next years first.

bearfan
02-18-2012, 03:37 PM
Quick question Bears fan, likely hood of the Bears tyring to do what Atlanta did last year in trading up for Julio Jones with the Buc's this year at number 5 if Justin Blackmon is there? Or do you just have to many holes to fill to give up a 1st 2nd and 4th this year and next years first.

Better be zero

regoob2
02-18-2012, 06:36 PM
Id shoot myself in the face if we were stupid enough to do that.

Docta
02-26-2012, 08:36 PM
With Adams getting released, I think they'll be aiming for a DT in the early rounds.

regoob2
02-26-2012, 08:59 PM
With Adams getting released, I think they'll be aiming for a DT in the early rounds.Why? Paea and Toe at NT. Melton and Okoye at UT. Unless someone really falls it's not happening.

Docta
02-27-2012, 04:21 PM
Why? Paea and Toe at NT. Melton and Okoye at UT. Unless someone really falls it's not happening.
Paea rarely played last year, so you don't know if he's ready, and Melton could switch back to DE if he wanted to.

regoob2
02-27-2012, 10:55 PM
Paea rarely played last year, so you don't know if he's ready, and Melton could switch back to DE if he wanted to.
Paea played a lot later in the season. He looked good. Melton isnt moving to DE.

gpngc
02-29-2012, 04:11 PM
Is Webb out of the dog house enough that the Bears would pass on a LT prospect like Martin? Assuming all the elite DEs and WRs are off the board.

regoob2
03-01-2012, 04:27 PM
Is Webb out of the dog house enough that the Bears would pass on a LT prospect like Martin? Assuming all the elite DEs and WRs are off the board.
I don't think so. If Floyd and Perry are gone I'd take him.

Donkey Punch
03-04-2012, 09:04 PM
If Floyd is there, he'll be a Bear. I doubt he lasts until #19, however, and I doubt the Bears move up for him. I don't see any other receiver having value at #19 so I expect Emery to turn to defense and grab a cornerback, another pass rusher or a young linebacker to groom behind Urlacher and/or Briggs.

Sloopy
03-07-2012, 08:03 AM
I encourage you all to check out my latest 4 round mock draft :)

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51453

SFbear
03-07-2012, 04:49 PM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-bears-smith-dines-with-wr-prospect-hill-20120307,0,2184034.story

Probably smoke screen but I wouldn't completely object to trading down a few spots and taking Hill depending on FA and if Floyd is not there.

shady00
03-08-2012, 02:34 AM
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-bears-smith-dines-with-wr-prospect-hill-20120307,0,2184034.story

Probably smoke screen but I wouldn't completely object to trading down a few spots and taking Hill depending on FA and if Floyd is not there.

Two reasons Stephen Hill will be a stud in the pros:

1. He's clearly a height-weight-speed guy, running that 4.36 at 6'4. He also appears to have the frame to add some bulk without sacrificing agility. Possessing these elite physical attributes is imperative to becoming a #1 target in today's NFL.

2. Georgia Tech's triple-option offense is anything but wide receiver friendly. This really limited Hill's opportunity to contribute, and he was never in the proper situation to display the level he's capable of performing at.

The opportunities he he was given, however, were absolutely encouraging:

Jay Cutler and I fully endorse drafting this kid at 19 (as well as pursuing Vincent Jackson.)

k0ng
03-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Think this mock offseason is possible?

FA
Ben Grubbs
Brandon Carr
Robert Meachem
Eddie Royal
John Carlson

I think Royal and Carlson will be dirt cheap.

Draft
1 = Whitney Mercilus
1a = Stephen Hill (trade 2nd and early 3rd to move up into late first)
3 - 7 = BPA

Bearsfan123
03-08-2012, 06:05 PM
How do people feel about Marcus Trufant and Kamerion Wimbley? As for yours Kong, I don't see us giving out that many big contracts. Out of that list, Carlson, Meachem we could probably afford (Im not big on Royal) the other two Grubbs and Carr are going to be expensive in my opinion. I think we can get Trufant for less and Wimbley can be our big name acquisition for the FA period. If he fits like this article suggests http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1096167-2012-nfl-free-agents-chicago-bears-to-look-at-kamerion-wimbley-if-released

But im not against going after Hill IF Floyd isn't there.

k0ng
03-08-2012, 07:38 PM
Wimbley would be nice, but Trufant would just be a bandaide. What about Aaron Ross? He is a few years younger and there were rumors the Bears were interested in him coming out of Texas.

shady00
03-18-2012, 09:00 PM
Now that the #Bears have Marshall, where should they look in round 1? I don't think it will be cornerback, since Jennings was re-signed and our cover-2 doesn't demand absolute studs at that position.

A defensive-end like Mercilus would be great. I think he's being greatly underrated, and reminds me a little bit of Pierre-Paul when he was a prospect.

bearsfan_51
03-19-2012, 01:45 PM
I'd like to trade down a little bit and get a future pick for next year to recoup the one we lost for Marshall. We could trade down to 26 and get a future 2nd and from there still target guys like Mike Adams, Cordy Glenn, Nick Perry, or Whitney Mercilus.

Of course, that presumes someone wants to trade up a bit, but even if not I'd probably still target the same four guys. We still need to build our trenches.

regoob2
03-19-2012, 02:38 PM
I'd like to trade down a little bit and get a future pick for next year to recoup the one we lost for Marshall. We could trade down to 26 and get a future 2nd and from there still target guys like Mike Adams, Cordy Glenn, Nick Perry, or Whitney Mercilus.

Of course, that presumes someone wants to trade up a bit, but even if not I'd probably still target the same four guys. We still need to build our trenches.

That would be ideal but like you said it's finding someone who wants to trade up.

Bearsfan123
03-19-2012, 06:33 PM
Still wouldnt mind Floyd if he fell or Hill. Remember B-Marshall isn't a spry pup, he's a vet who has some miles on him. I'd like to have at least a solid receiver next to him, learning how to play.

But I do agree in the sense that DE and OL are both still huge needs.

My realistic mock:
1st round: Stephen Hill WR- Not the glamor pick, but an insurance policy for Marshall if his antics get the better of him. A quiet warning that he'd better keep his head on straight, and his eventual replacement in a few years.

2nd round: Kelechi Osemele OG/OT: A lineman that will be to Tice's liking. I have him projected as a Guard in our power running game.

3rd rd: Chandler Jones DE: I've seen his stock in the 2nd or 3rd round. He can come in and rotate with Izzy opposite Peppers. He could hopefully develop into the guy opposite of Pep.

4th rd: Shaun Prater CB: We need secondary help. We are almost to the point of just needing warm bodies at the position.

bearsfan_51
03-19-2012, 07:21 PM
Hill at 19 is a desperation pick we no longer need to make. I'm sure someone will take him in the 1st round, but I'd prefer it not be us.

MidwayMonster31
03-19-2012, 10:02 PM
Hill at 19 is a desperation pick we no longer need to make. I'm sure someone will take him in the 1st round, but I'd prefer it not be us.I agree. Now we can sit back and choose whatever talent (that fits) falls to us. I still think Mercilus is the best option (if Floyd is gone), but I also wouldn't have a problem with trading down. I'm not sold on Martin or Adams as left tackles.

Y2Jimmy0
03-20-2012, 10:04 AM
Mercilus is my ideal pick in the first round unless the Bears somehow get Freeney. I think there's still a strong possibility that he gets cut and the Bears are the best system fit for him.

Bearsfan123
03-22-2012, 06:34 PM
After much deliberation, and spending the day reading scouting reports lol, I have come over to your guys' side. I've generally have seen 3 DE's that have been around (either slightly before) or after our pick. Melvin Igram, Whitney Mercilus, and Nick Perry. Andre Branch I've also seen picked in the late first. Mercilus sounds like the best fit IMO, ive even seen him compared to JPP. Which would be perfect for us.

Another factor that changed my mind was the depth of the WR class. Some prospects I like will probably be available in the third or fourth round. I would like Ryan Broyles or Marvin McNutt in the third. Either one would make a great complimentary receiver. I think I really like these two because most of our receivers dont have a clue on how to run routes. lol

I am worried though. Unlike with OL, the prospect list that really fits with what we desire in DE isn't very large (for first round prospects). So I'm worried those guys won't make it to us. But here's hoping!!

villagewarrior
03-23-2012, 08:39 AM
I wish I would've seen this Mercilus love (interesting phrase, btw) a couple days ago when I was constructing my first round. What would you guys think if the Bears took Janoris Jenkins? My limited studies indicated the Bears may need youth at corner, and Jenkins is a tremendous talent if you can overlook the personal stuff. Thoughts?

Bearsfan123
03-24-2012, 01:32 PM
I thought he was more of a man corner? Regardless, it is true that we need youth at corner. The one big thing is that our system, even though we don't play the tampa-2 as much as we used to, still isn't corner reliant heavy. We rely much more upon our front four putting pressure on the opposing QB and letting him make a mistake rather then putting our CBs on islands against receivers. So I know that a lot of us (bears fans on this board) feel that corner isn't a first round pick worthy position unless we are all but out of options.

We CAN overlook the personal stuff, but I doubt Lovie would. After the Sam Hurd problem, I severely doubt that Lovie would support an off the field problem player, unless he really cleared his name in interviews.

Y2Jimmy0
03-24-2012, 02:33 PM
After much deliberation, and spending the day reading scouting reports lol, I have come over to your guys' side. I've generally have seen 3 DE's that have been around (either slightly before) or after our pick. Melvin Igram, Whitney Mercilus, and Nick Perry. Andre Branch I've also seen picked in the late first. Mercilus sounds like the best fit IMO, ive even seen him compared to JPP. Which would be perfect for us.

Another factor that changed my mind was the depth of the WR class. Some prospects I like will probably be available in the third or fourth round. I would like Ryan Broyles or Marvin McNutt in the third. Either one would make a great complimentary receiver. I think I really like these two because most of our receivers dont have a clue on how to run routes. lol

I am worried though. Unlike with OL, the prospect list that really fits with what we desire in DE isn't very large (for first round prospects). So I'm worried those guys won't make it to us. But here's hoping!!

Lovie seems to be really interested in Bruce Irvin. I think he is more of a 3-4 OLB and it could be a smokescreen. He has had issues in the past, but Lovie went to his Pro Day and went to dinner with him, and he will be visiting Halas Hall in April for a visit. If they went WR in round one still, would anyone object to Irvin in round 2?

stl705
03-27-2012, 06:39 PM
I have no clue where the Bears will go... CB? OT? OG? DE? LB? S? lol, could be anyone for all we know. Emory has: traded for Marshall, a posterboy non-chemistry that Angelo and Lovie preached against; reportedly went after Mario Williams (really? whoa...); signed the best backup QB we've had since...Matthews? Does Miller count? (Now all he has to do is pay Forte!)

I've got trust in Emory, I hope he can get a stud in the draft. My gut feeling is CB, probably Janoris Jenkins of North Alabama via Florida. Early 1st round talent slipping because of a change in schools. One thing that has stood out so far: Emory is willing to gamble, but get good odds on his bets. I like it so far. But still way too early.

Who Da Bears gonna draft?

pellepelle_10
04-04-2012, 03:46 AM
What do you guys think of a Bear draft that went this way?

1. Jonathan Martin OT - Stanford
2. Jerel Worthy DT - Michigan State
3. Trumaine Johnson FS/CB - Montana
4. Nick Toon WR - Wisconsin
5. Tim Fugger DE - Vanderbilt
6. Jordan Morris-Bernstine CB - Iowa
7. Dale Moss WR - South Dakota State

bearsfan_51
04-04-2012, 09:36 AM
I like Worthy but DE is a much bigger need.

MidwayMonster31
04-04-2012, 12:09 PM
I don't really like Martin that much, but I'm good with the rest of that draft.

Bearsfan123
04-05-2012, 08:13 AM
So what about the option of trading down with someone like Houston? They want a receiver, there should be Stephen Hill and Kendal Wright on board. We could gain their 3rd round pick next year and a 4th rounder this year. I would only do it if a lot of the guys we like were still on board, but no one seems to be talking about it as an option.

regoob2
04-05-2012, 06:10 PM
So what about the option of trading down with someone like Houston? They want a receiver, there should be Stephen Hill and Kendal Wright on board. We could gain their 3rd round pick next year and a 4th rounder this year. I would only do it if a lot of the guys we like were still on board, but no one seems to be talking about it as an option.

I'm always a fan of trading down. I'd definitely do it for a reasonable offer.

pellepelle_10
04-05-2012, 09:51 PM
I think a trade down would be best. Go after someone like Wright, or Hill. Try to get an addtl 3rd this yr and use that for an olb, te, or db. The question is who would be wiling to trade down?

stl705
04-05-2012, 11:12 PM
I've been thinking Bears might go Janoris Jenkis or Floyd if they are there.

I do like Martin the tackle from Stanford, but him being tied to Luck, and playing next to the best guard prospect in the draft definitely scares me... Still, this could actually turn out to be the opposite and Martin is overlooked because of these things.

I'm not a big fan of the WR - Hill. Good measurables, but is the kid a dominant enough football player to make an impact in the NFL? Scares me too much to risk a 1st round pick.

MidwayMonster31
04-05-2012, 11:37 PM
I think a trade down would be best. Go after someone like Wright, or Hill. Try to get an addtl 3rd this yr and use that for an olb, te, or db. The question is who would be wiling to trade down?Perhaps a good 3-4 linebacker, or a D-lineman that we don't want that somebody else does (Devon Still?) might be available. Trading back into the mid/late 20s is acceptable.

jackalope
04-07-2012, 05:00 PM
So, I'm trying to get a sense of the Bears plans at 19. Obviously defensive end is a big need. Is a corner a strong possibility there as well?

Having brought in Marshall, would they still seriously considering a receiver in the first?

Should any weight be given to the comments about them being happy with their current offensive line, or are they still likely to take a tackle there?

Bearsfan123
04-07-2012, 05:16 PM
We don't believe so about the offensive line. Or at least we hope not. Sadly, the Bears could go any number of ways. In this forum, many feel like DE is the way to go. And there is a lot of information to make that assumption. If Floyd fell to us, I think we would still grab him. And as it seems right now, no tackle that should be there will be worth the 19th overall pick. As for corner, *shrug* I dunno. We still need some talent at the position, but is it 1st round worthy?

jackalope
04-07-2012, 05:29 PM
We don't believe so about the offensive line. Or at least we hope not. Sadly, the Bears could go any number of ways. In this forum, many feel like DE is the way to go. And there is a lot of information to make that assumption. If Floyd fell to us, I think we would still grab him. And as it seems right now, no tackle that should be there will be worth the 19th overall pick. As for corner, *shrug* I dunno. We still need some talent at the position, but is it 1st round worthy?

Floyd would be good enough value to make them go receiver. Do you think Gilmore (or another corner for that matter) would be good enough value to make them take a corner over an end like Mercilus, or a tackle like Adams or Martin?

CameronCropper
04-07-2012, 06:17 PM
I refuse to believe the comments about the Bears being content with their offensive line are in any way genuine.

I refuse it.

Monomach
04-07-2012, 07:21 PM
So, I'm trying to get a sense of the Bears plans at 19. Obviously defensive end is a big need. Is a corner a strong possibility there as well?

Having brought in Marshall, would they still seriously considering a receiver in the first?

Should any weight be given to the comments about them being happy with their current offensive line, or are they still likely to take a tackle there?

I don't believe Phil Emery is dumb enough to be content with the O-line. Lovie and Tice may be happy, but no way on the guy calling the shots.

I could see Michael Floyd being the pick if he's there, but I'm betting DE or OL.

I have a hard time seeing a corner being picked in the first. We mostly run zone. That'd just be a huge waste of a first round talent.

Bearsfan123
04-08-2012, 01:01 AM
Floyd would be good enough value to make them go receiver. Do you think Gilmore (or another corner for that matter) would be good enough value to make them take a corner over an end like Mercilus, or a tackle like Adams or Martin?
Maybe Kirkpatrick, but I doubt it. Both Adams and Martin seem like late first guys at this point, and I don't see the Bears reaching for one of them. But Cordy Glenn is a legit possibility.

Bearsfan123
04-10-2012, 10:16 AM
I just saw an interesting mock to the bears:

1st: Quentin Coples DE: He scares me, he has excellent talent but his motor is hot and cold.

2nd: Jayron Hosley CB: He should be a good CB for our scheme, and possibly a real player in general.

3rd: Vinny Curry DE: They had him sliding, and I can definitely appreciate the dual pick up of two pass rushers. JPep wont play forever and this league requires you to rush the pass rusher. So I approve.

4th: Philip Blake Center: We need a Center prospect and Blake's a decent one.

5th: Tank Carder LB: A little youth to our LB corps. And with a name like Tank he should make a fine LB for us.

I really kind of liked this draft. It didn't exactly fix the offense, but the youth it brought to our Defense should keep us in the top ten for a while longer.

bearsfan_51
04-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Maybe Kirkpatrick, but I doubt it. Both Adams and Martin seem like late first guys at this point, and I don't see the Bears reaching for one of them. But Cordy Glenn is a legit possibility.
Picking a late 1st guy at 19 isn't really a reach.

If I were to guess right now I think Konz will be the pick.

jackalope
04-10-2012, 02:38 PM

So, say Merciulus, Perry, Adams, Martin, and Konz are all on the board. Your hunch would be Konz?

SFbear
04-10-2012, 06:35 PM

That would surprise me but I wouldn't hate it. I think if they wanted to slide Garza back to guard they would just plug Spencer in at C.

Supposedly Reiff is falling but it's most likely because no one wants him at LT. Rumor is Bills love Cordy Glenn and DeCastro won't get past Arizona. Don't think Martin is a Tice guy.

I think we're just too bare at Dline right now to go any other direction. I hate that we weren't more aggressive for Okoye.

pellepelle_10
04-12-2012, 01:38 PM
New Bear Mock. Tell me what you guys think.

1. Kendall Wright - WR - Baylor
2. Vinny Curry - DE - Marshall
3. Mike Martin - DT - Michigan
4. DeQuan Menzie - CB - Alabama
5. Demario Davis - OLB - Arkansas State
6. Donald Stephenson - OT - Oklahoma
7. Dale Moss - WR - South Dakota State

regoob2
04-12-2012, 11:16 PM
New Bear Mock. Tell me what you guys think.

1. Kendall Wright - WR - Baylor
2. Vinny Curry - DE - Marshall
3. Mike Martin - DT - Michigan
4. DeQuan Menzie - CB - Alabama
5. Demario Davis - OLB - Arkansas State
6. Donald Stephenson - OT - Oklahoma
7. Dale Moss - WR - South Dakota State

I really like the first 2 picks. Id prefer we go UT over NT.

regoob2
04-12-2012, 11:19 PM
That would surprise me but I wouldn't hate it. I think if they wanted to slide Garza back to guard they would just plug Spencer in at C.

Supposedly Reiff is falling but it's most likely because no one wants him at LT. Rumor is Bills love Cordy Glenn and DeCastro won't get past Arizona. Don't think Martin is a Tice guy.

I think we're just too bare at Dline right now to go any other direction. I hate that we weren't more aggressive for Okoye.

Garza played better at C last year then he ever did at OG. He was pretty terrible his last season at OG. I doubt he ever moves back there.

pellepelle_10
04-13-2012, 07:55 PM
I really like the first 2 picks. Id prefer we go UT over NT.

Any reason why? I think Martin is an underrated DT in this draft.

Y2Jimmy0
04-17-2012, 11:25 AM
I think the only way the Bears don't take a DL in the 1st round is if Floyd or Reiff is available. Reiff is the only OL worth taking there. Martin and Adams are worth the 19th pick. The Bears will be going defense. Mercilus, Chandler Jones, someone like that. I would be perfectly fine with Mercilus in the 1st, but I would love to snatch up Fletcher Cox if he fell somehow. The people that want OL just because really need to do some research. Gabe Carimi is the starting RT. Garza is at C. I am pretty sure the Bears will have Eric Steinbach starting at OG next to Chris Spencer. I would agree that the Bears need a LT. The problem is that Reiff will most likely be gone and Martin and Adams are not worth the pick. I want a DE, and a DT in the first 2 rounds that will contribute right away. I think the Bears agree.

regoob2
04-17-2012, 03:42 PM
Any reason why? I think Martin is an underrated DT in this draft.

I think we need depth at UT. I feel Paea can move over to UT but I'd prefer another UT. I think Martin can help the team and I like him as a player though.

princefielder28
04-19-2012, 11:08 AM
I got the Bears in the last forum mock and I only have a 7th rounder left at this point so I thought I'd get your guys evaluation of how I've done

19th :: Chandler Jones : DE : Syracuse
50th :: Mychal Kendricks : LB : California
80th :: Chris Givens : WR : Wake Forest
111th :: Billy Winn : DT : Boise State
124th :: Taylor Thompson : TE/DE : SMU

bearsfan_51
04-19-2012, 11:47 AM
Is this for the 2013 draft? I have no idea who those people are.

princefielder28
04-19-2012, 11:53 AM
Is this for the 2013 draft? I have no idea who those people are.

nope, it's for this year's draft

regoob2
04-19-2012, 01:06 PM
That would be pretty terrible. Jones would be a massive reach and isnt a great fit for our scheme. Kendricks is a reach too and we dont need to reach on a LB. I'd take one if it was great value though. Givens is an ok pick as is Winn.

princefielder28
04-19-2012, 01:20 PM
That would be pretty terrible. Jones would be a massive reach and isnt a great fit for our scheme. Kendricks is a reach too and we dont need to reach on a LB. I'd take one if it was great value though. Givens is an ok pick as is Winn.

Chandler Jones is a bit of a developmental prospect but he's not a reach at 19. He possesses great size with long arms, is physically strong, and has shown a good burst off the line. He doesn't have a wide array of pass rush moves at this point, but his skill set compares favorably with someone like Justin Tuck.

I actually view Kendricks as good value at pick 50 and that's the reason I took him. He's coming off a tremendous year at California where he took home Pac 12 defensive player of the year honors. He is slightly undersized but the tape wouldn't suggest that. He can play sideline-to-sideline, is an explosive athlete, and appears to be pretty comfortable in pass coverage.

regoob2
04-19-2012, 01:26 PM
Chandler Jones is a bit of a developmental prospect but he's not a reach at 19. He possesses great size with long arms, is physically strong, and has shown a good burst off the line. He doesn't have a wide array of pass rush moves at this point, but his skill set compares favorably with someone like Justin Tuck.

I actually view Kendricks as good value at pick 50 and that's the reason I took him. He's coming off a tremendous year at California where he took home Pac 12 defensive player of the year honors. He is slightly undersized but the tape wouldn't suggest that. He can play sideline-to-sideline, is an explosive athlete, and appears to be pretty comfortable in pass coverage.

He's no where near the athlete that Tuck is. Jones isnt quick off the line, he is stiff and doesnt have closing speed. He tested far better then the tape shows. He's not a pass rusher. He'd be a better fit at UT for us. Look at the mold of DEs that are successful in our scheme and Jones is the opposite.

I dont dislike Kendricks but I dont see him as what we need in round 2. I think he would be a really good player for us but I'm not sold on us taking a LB that early.

MidwayMonster31
04-20-2012, 01:40 AM
With the Geno Hayes signing, we might not even take a linebacker in this draft until the later rounds.
From what I hear, they love Michael Brockers, but he might not be there, so Mercilus might be the first pick. I wouldn't be surprised if we also picked Trumaine Johnson in the 2nd.

shady00
04-22-2012, 04:46 PM
Bears will go Brockers at 19, then take the highest rated WR, CB or OT available in 2nd-round (Think Alshon Jeffery/Rueben Randle, Jayron Hosley, Kevin Zeitler)

Monomach
04-26-2012, 09:15 PM
**** Phil Emery.

jrdrylie
04-26-2012, 10:00 PM
This draft can eat my ****. Can't believe we passed on Decastro.

regoob2
04-26-2012, 10:01 PM
That was definitely a head scratcher. I wouldnt have drafted him until round 3.

At least we dont have to watch Idonije.

Monomach
04-26-2012, 10:03 PM
http://oi45.tinypic.com/2d8ozz6.jpg

Still going to be seeing a lot of this.

dabears10
04-26-2012, 10:12 PM

Meh at least two of those guy won't be on the team next year.

I'm not happy with passing on DeCastro but his main weakness, trouble with size, is the strength of the interior lines in the division.

jackalope
04-26-2012, 10:14 PM
At least you guys aren't happy for stealing our guy like last year.

Monomach
04-26-2012, 10:32 PM
Meh at least two of those guy won't be on the team next year.

I'm not happy with passing on DeCastro but his main weakness, trouble with size, is the strength of the interior lines in the division.

If you're not a fan of DeCastro, take Reilly Reiff (who is now on one of our biggest rivals for a wild card spot, btw). The biggest problem on our line is still here. He led the league in sacks allowed and penalties. Don't spend the pick on a 3-4 OLB who's had three concussions before his first pro snap.

bearsfan_51
04-26-2012, 11:15 PM
Reiff can't play LT, so I don't really think the value was there for him. Do you move him to guard? If so, is he a first round guard? I don't see it. I wasn't expecting us to draft Reiff or Decastro (who is too small for Tice).

I don't like the McClellan pick. I can understand why he was the pick, but I would have preferred Mercilus. I don't hate it, however.

bearsfan_51
04-26-2012, 11:16 PM

I'm really confused why you expected us to draft Reiff. Even though you are a pathological complainer, you at least seem like someone who understands football, so I don't see the logic for a Reiff pick.

Monomach
04-26-2012, 11:27 PM
Reiff can't play LT, so I don't really think the value was there for him. Do you move him to guard? If so, is he a first round guard? I don't see it. I wasn't expecting us to draft Reiff or Decastro (who is too small for Tice).

I don't like the McClellan pick. I can understand why he was the pick, but I would have preferred Mercilus. I don't hate it, however.

No, I play him at LT and thank my lucky stars that J'Marcus Webb is gone. Webb was outperformed by every tackle in the league last year. Reiff is better than that whether you think he belongs on the right or left side.

...and the logic is that I think he can play on the left side. I also think Carimi can play on the left side. Tice is just an idiot who has unnatural feelings for Webb.

As far as I'm concerned, if DeCastro isn't good enough for your O line coach, fire your idiot O line coach.

Monomach
04-26-2012, 11:30 PM
The only reasoning I can come up with for this is that Emery is hedging his bets. If he fires Lovie next year, he's got one OLB spot set if he hires a 3-4 coach.

:facepalm:

bearsfan_51
04-26-2012, 11:32 PM
The reason is that Reiff can't play LT. Ask an Iowa fan. It would make more sense to move Carimi to LT, and Carimi isn't a great LT either.

You are taking illogically out of J'Marcus Webb hate (which is understandable). Reiff is, at best, a 2nd round LT. We don't need another RT.

Sportsfan486
04-26-2012, 11:53 PM
Stumped by the McClellin pick. I don't see how he fits into your 4-3. I don't think he's a guy that will line up and beat a tackle with his hand in the ground; I thought he had a chance to be okay as a 3-4 OLB due to scheming and motor but I don't see his upside as a 4-3 DE.

What do you guys think about him? Also, just bizarre you guys passed on DeCastro. He'd be better at TACKLE than anyone you had last year, let alone guard.

bearsfan_51
04-26-2012, 11:56 PM
The biggest knocks on Decastro is that he's a little slight for a guard and not overpowering, focusing more on technique and pulling ability. Mike Tice prefers giant maulers.

Anyone that thought we would pick Decastro doesn't follow the team very closely.

bearsfan_51
04-26-2012, 11:59 PM
Stumped by the McClellin pick. I don't see how he fits into your 4-3. I don't think he's a guy that will line up and beat a tackle with his hand in the ground; I thought he had a chance to be okay as a 3-4 OLB due to scheming and motor but I don't see his upside as a 4-3 DE.

From the GM

"He showed us some natural things that the other ends did not show us to as high a level," Emery said. "His ability to bend, his pad level, to get from blocker to ball, to close the gap as quickly as possible … we felt was better than most of the rest of the class."

I only heard about him a few weeks ago, so I can't claim to have much insights into this. I wanted Mercilus, and I'm a little stumped why someone with all of these instincts had such underwhelming stats in the MWC, but whatever.

And, who knows, we may be putting in some 3-4 fronts. Everyone does that versatility **** nowadays.

Bearsfan123
04-27-2012, 12:23 AM
I dislike this pick a lot. Three concussions before the NFL, underwhelming stats in an inferior conference, positional question marks, all with other good talent on board at the same pass rusher position desired. Ugh. What's the silver lining here? Cuz unless this guy turns out to be beast mode, this pick sucks.

bearsfan_51
04-27-2012, 12:27 AM
I guess the silver lining would be that they took McClellan over a bunch of other options that made sense. There are two ways of looking at that. This is clearly a guy the Bears were hoping would be there.

Why they hoped that, I'm still not sure, but I also trust that Emery isn't a complete moron. And I remain an Angelo stalwart.

MidwayMonster31
04-27-2012, 12:29 AM
I can live with this pick. McClellin probably won't be a star, but he can at least be a solid starter, which is a hell of a lot better than what we've gotten from Angelo's first round picks. The defense is predictable, and by adding McClellin, you can line him up in different spots and do a lot of different things with him. They can use him at end and move Peppers inside on 3rd down, they can blitz him from linebacker, they can zone blitz and probably some other stuff that I'm forgetting.
I don't take college stats too seriously for defensive players since coaches know who the best players are and do their darndest not to let those guys beat them. Also, the Broncos were usually up by plenty during the second half, so there wasn't much opportunity to do much.
For that second rounder, I wouldn't mind Kelechi Osemele, Dwayne Allen or a corner.

bearsfan_51
04-27-2012, 12:34 AM
If they were up in the second half, that would be more pass attempts, which means more opportunities for sacks.

His numbers aren't terrible, but I'm skeptical of first round guys taken outside of the BCS who don't have massive stats.

Bearsfan123
04-27-2012, 12:40 AM
Im not gonna make judgments until these guys play, its only one pick. I cant pretend to like it, but he's a Bear now. And all da Bears are to be rooted for. Im more disappointed that this team damn near refuses to pick an Illini player, even if he would be a perfect fit for them. >_<

Sportsfan486
04-27-2012, 12:45 AM
If they were up in the second half, that would be more pass attempts, which means more opportunities for sacks.

His numbers aren't terrible, but I'm skeptical of first round guys taken outside of the BCS who don't have massive stats.

I've watched a lot of tape on him as he was a rather popular mock pick for the Packers and I didn't love him but thought he'd be a solid but unspectacular 3-4 OLB. His best attributes were his ability to operate in space and give you a potentially good cover guy with decent marks in run stopping and pass rushing, mostly due to a high motor.

His primary weakness was his ability to shed or take on blockers, which is one of the main attributes I value in a 4-3 DE.

Such an odd pick. But he should be a decent player, I just wouldn't expect anything spectacular.

Bearsfan123
04-27-2012, 12:47 AM
I've watched a lot of tape on him as he was a rather popular mock pick for the Packers and I didn't love him but thought he'd be a solid but unspectacular 3-4 OLB. His best attributes were his ability to operate in space and give you a potentially good cover guy with decent marks in run stopping and pass rushing, mostly due to a high motor.

His primary weakness was his ability to shed or take on blockers, which is one of the main attributes I value in a 4-3 DE.

Such an odd pick. But he should be a decent player, I just wouldn't expect anything spectacular.

Here's my problem, a first round pick should be looked at TO BE SPECTACULAR. Frustrating.....

Gay Ork Wang
04-27-2012, 05:31 AM
Shea was a target for the Steelers, packers and Pats. once we picked him NE had to trade up.

I hope he can be a suggs type of player. He might be groomed to be the next urlacher

regoob2
04-27-2012, 07:45 AM
I'm hoping for a SLB/DE type role for him. I think that could make our D a bit more unpredictable.

I'm hoping for a blue collar Osi. Either way he's a good football player.

bearfan
04-27-2012, 07:46 AM
Shea was a target for the Steelers, packers and Pats. once we picked him NE had to trade up.

I hope he can be a suggs type of player. He might be groomed to be the next urlacher

Lol two completely different players.

I disliked the pick, still not thrilled with it. What scares me the most is the concussions and the fact that he didn't dominate against lower competition.

If this (260) is pushing his playing weight, does he play OLB?

regoob2
04-27-2012, 09:20 AM
Lol two completely different players.

I disliked the pick, still not thrilled with it. What scares me the most is the concussions and the fact that he didn't dominate against lower competition.

If this (260) is pushing his playing weight, does he play OLB?
He's a very lean 260. He can get bigger.

bearsfan_51
04-27-2012, 10:45 AM
Yeah, you can look at his body type and tell that he could easily push 275. I'm not sure that's what they want, but he could.

I'm at least encouraged by the low bust rate for Boise State players. I'd say that's his main selling point.

regoob2
04-27-2012, 11:21 AM
Yeah, you can look at his body type and tell that he could easily push 275. I'm not sure that's what they want, but he could.

I'm at least encouraged by the low bust rate for Boise State players. I'd say that's his main selling point.
I'd be happy with a better looking 260 or 265. I dont hate the pick. I would have preferred someone else but I can live with this.

Monomach
04-27-2012, 12:28 PM
Shea was a target for the Steelers, packers and Pats. once we picked him NE had to trade up.None of whom were going to use him as a 4-3 LE.

I hope he can be a suggs type of player. He might be groomed to be the next urlacherNever in his college career did he show even half of the range necessary to do that. That's just not what he is. Apples and oranges.

I'm hoping for a SLB/DE type role for him. I think that could make our D a bit more unpredictable.

I'm hoping for a blue collar Osi. Either way he's a good football player.Emery said he's playing exclusively left end.

If Webb is replaced in the second round and if McClellin gets to 270 and can move while carrying it before camp, I'll probably be a happy camper. I have my doubts on both counts, as I'm sure you do.

I had no clue what Boise State players have done in the NFL (other than Clady), so I went and looked at it. McClellin and Doug Martin bring them up to 47 players drafted in their history. So we throw out the two who were just drafted, all of them from a decade ago or longer ago, and any from the too-new-to-judge 2010-2011 drafts. We're left with 7 guys. The breakdown is as follows:

R1- 1
R2- 1
R3- 0
R4- 0
R5- 2
R6- 2
R7- 1

The first rounder is Ryan Clady. Clady looked like a HOF tackle as a rookie. He hasn't showed that since then, but he's been for the most part above average since. An above average left tackle in any round is a great success, so they're 1 for 1.

In round two, we have Gerald Alexander to the Lions in 2007. He's on his fifth team in five years. 'Nuff said. 1 for 2.

In round five, it's Legedu Naanee and Orlando Scandrick. Naanee has a saying made for him. It's "Nothing good happens when you throw it to Naanee." Ok. 1 for 3. Orlando Scandrick is an average slot corner. Pretty good value to get out of a fifth round pick. 2 for 4.

In round six, Korey Hall (2007) and Brock Forsey (2003). Hall hasn't touched a football field since 2010, so 2 for 5. Forsey was a running back for us back in the day. Out of the league after two seasons as a third back. 2 for 6.

In round seven, Derek Schouman in 2007. Never did anything, hasn't seen a field since 2009. 2 for 7.

Realistically, you don't expect anyone after the fourth round to do anything, though. That's where you take long shots and special teams players, so we can really throw them out, too. So we're 1 for 2. 50% successes, 50% huge busts.

I went into this mini-research campaign hoping the result would be an amazing revelation that made me feel better. You tricked me. :crying:

bearsfan_51
04-27-2012, 12:40 PM
I don't care at all about rounds 4-7. Those are picks that only draftnicks think have serious value.

I was just talking about Clady and the Jets cornerback.

Monomach
04-27-2012, 12:48 PM
I don't care at all about rounds 4-7. Those are picks that only draftnicks think have serious value.

I was just talking about Clady and the Jets cornerback.

We're still at 50%. Wilson's a first round nickel corner who struggles in coverage. I know everyone was excited about him in November, but he got torched pretty severely later on.

:confuse:

bearsfan_51
04-27-2012, 02:29 PM
There should be some good offensive linemen and wide receivers available at 50. I'm not sure about defensive tackles. I'm a Devon Still fan at 50, where there is less risk, but I'm guessing everyone else with a 2nd round grade will be gone by then. Mike Martin would be a good pick in the 3rd.

regoob2
04-27-2012, 03:26 PM
There should be some good offensive linemen and wide receivers available at 50. I'm not sure about defensive tackles. I'm a Devon Still fan at 50, where there is less risk, but I'm guessing everyone else with a 2nd round grade will be gone by then. Mike Martin would be a good pick in the 3rd.
I'm scared of who we'll take. I really hope we go BPA.

Monomach
04-27-2012, 03:38 PM
Alameda Ta’amu.

MidwayMonster31
04-27-2012, 03:39 PM
Wide receiver and corner seem like likely options tonight.

SFbear
04-27-2012, 06:23 PM
I'd be excited about the McClellin pick if we were a 3-4 team. Just do not see the fit for us. I think he's going to get swallowed up at LE.

bearsfan_51
04-27-2012, 07:01 PM
I like the Jeffrey pick. I'm not sure we needed to trade up for him, but it's a 5th round pick, and I don't care about those.

Monomach
04-27-2012, 07:09 PM
I love Jeffery if we can keep him slim. Fat Jeffery would bust hard. Slim Jeffery could be a hell of a compliment to Marshall.

http://s17.postimage.org/rw20lbdv1/alshonfatpic.jpg

bearsfan_51
04-27-2012, 07:10 PM
I wonder what they thought about Reuban Randle and why they felt there was a threat that Jeffrey would be drafted in the next five picks.

Again, I don't care about 5th round picks, but you'd think Emery would.

Monomach
04-27-2012, 07:18 PM
I wonder what they thought about Reuban Randle and why they felt there was a threat that Jeffrey would be drafted in the next five picks.

Again, I don't care about 5th round picks, but you'd think Emery would.

Don't care about fifth round picks, either, but I'd have just stayed at 50 if I had flat-out decided that I absolutely must get a second round receiver.

-Jeffery
-Randle
-Sanu

One of the big-bodied jump ballers would have been there. I'd have chosen Sanu, for what it's worth.

Jay Cutler is going to look stupid good if he can just start Matt Staffording balls in the general direction of a giant ball-fighter. So glad we're not going to be seeing any more Hester/Knox nonsense on the outside. Now all of our slot receivers can just play in the slot.

regoob2
04-27-2012, 07:18 PM
I love the pick. I had Randle ahead of Jeffery but I love me some Jeffery.

regoob2
04-27-2012, 07:21 PM
Don't care about fifth round picks, either, but I'd have just stayed at 50 if I had flat-out decided that I absolutely must get a second round receiver.

-Jeffery
-Randle
-Sanu

One of the big-bodied jump ballers would have been there. I'd have chosen Sanu, for what it's worth.

Jay Cutler is going to look stupid good if he can just start Matt Staffording balls in the general direction of a giant ball-fighter. So glad we're not going to be seeing any more Hester/Knox nonsense on the outside. Now all of our slot receivers can just play in the slot.
I didnt have Sanu in there class. I had Randle and Jeffery as late 1st / early 2nds. Sanu as a 3rd.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
04-27-2012, 07:24 PM
This one is perfect for us.

Monomach
04-27-2012, 07:25 PM
****. Packers got Jurrell Worthy. He's good. :(

regoob2
04-27-2012, 07:26 PM
****. Packers got Jurrell Worthy. He's good. :(
Ya the problem is they get picks too. ;)

Monomach
04-27-2012, 07:31 PM
Ya the problem is they get picks too. ;)

I'm cool with them having picks. I just wish they had a Jerry Angelo using them. Instead, they keep drafting guys I want on the Bears.

bearfan
04-27-2012, 07:35 PM
I'm cool with them having picks. I just wish they had a Jerry Angelo using them. Instead, they keep drafting guys I want on the Bears.

It's only fair, we did it to them in round 1...

bearsfan_51
04-27-2012, 07:51 PM
Worthy has a motor problem. I don't think we would have picked him.

bearfan
04-27-2012, 09:09 PM
What the ****

Monomach
04-27-2012, 09:12 PM
Brandon Hardin is a decent pick. I think he'll send Major Wright on his merry way sooner or later.

But oh my god does our O line suck hard.

Monomach
04-27-2012, 09:18 PM
Anyway, day two beat the crap out of day one, I think.

But we're not going to win it all with our O line. Amazing how we can ignore it when it was by far the primary weakness of the team. Better sign Montrae Holland and Jake Scott or something.

bearsfan_51
04-27-2012, 09:20 PM
Carimi coming back is sort of like getting someone, since he didn't do poo last year.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
04-27-2012, 09:21 PM
3rd Safety in the 3rd round in 3 straight ******* years. STer only. ******* stupid.

Bobby Massie at 79 would've been succulent. This is just sucky.

Monomach
04-27-2012, 09:24 PM
3rd Safety in the 3rd round in 3 straight ******* years. STer only. ******* stupid.

Bobby Massie at 79 would've been succulent. This is just sucky.

I agree Massie would have been the obvious pick, and the one that would help the team the most, but I don't think Hardin is ST only. I think he can develop into a really good safety.

Since Major Wright can't cover, that would be pretty helpful.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
04-27-2012, 09:29 PM
Okie dokie, maybe. But, **** me, he didn't play last year cuz he broke his shoulder. Didn't Emery just say we won't take guys with injury histories?

What a weird smokescreen.

Monomach
04-27-2012, 09:40 PM
Okie dokie, maybe. But, **** me, he didn't play last year cuz he broke his shoulder. Didn't Emery just say we won't take guys with injury histories?

What a weird smokescreen.

His shoulder must be better. I just looked at his pro day. He put 225lbs up 24 times.

Incidentally, that makes him stronger than our first round 3-4 OLB. :facepalm:

Runs in the 4.4s. Pretty good cover skills for a guy his size. I remember him looking legit in the one game I saw him in. The only thing I can remember hearing about him that was bad is his hands. He's a swatter rather than a picker.

Monomach
04-27-2012, 09:41 PM
Also, did I mention that our O line is still trash? I have a sad.

Docta
04-27-2012, 11:01 PM
Also, did I mention that our O line is still trash? I have a sad.
Our line looked much better before Cutler's injury. Most of the issues with them were due to Martz' system. Look at how they played the Lions in the first game, and then how they pretty much shut them down in the 2nd. They've definitely showed improvement.

MidwayMonster31
04-27-2012, 11:48 PM
I think Tice and Bates will make the offensive line look much better than Martz made it look like. I think they will want to move the pocket to keep Cutler out of danger. 3-5 step drops will also make things easier for him.
As for the picks, Jeffrey is somebody I would have hated at 19, but at 45, it's not too bad. Hardin might be able to do things in our scheme, but his fairly thorough injury history might be difficult to deal with. Unfortunately, I don't know too much about him, so I can't comment.

Gay Ork Wang
04-28-2012, 04:27 AM
In Emery i trust

bearsfan_51
04-28-2012, 10:11 AM
Hardin's injury history is only breaks, which are much less likely to re-occur than tears. If anyone has had an ACL or MCL tear, I would totally walk away. A broken shoulder? Those typically tend to heal 100%

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
04-28-2012, 11:39 AM
Any desired picks for 111? I'm thinking it'll be Keenan Robinson, though I don't see the value after signing Geno Hayes.

Ta'amu would be cool but doesn't fit us, Charles maybe?

bearsfan_51
04-28-2012, 11:50 AM
That's another player that I like (very usable FB/H-back which we need).

But, again, is this a guy we couldn't have traded back for? I like Hardin and this pick, but I just don't think they are playing the value game very well at all.

bearfan
04-28-2012, 11:54 AM
With Massie on the board again :(

We needed another TE, but come on. Value on the board at T and we don't snag him!

Edit: surprised Charles is still on the board too

bearsfan_51
04-28-2012, 11:55 AM
Ugh....get off the Massie stuff.

This happens all the damn time. Players drop, and because some draft guy said they were valuable, everyone believes it. There's a reason that every single NFL GM has passed on the guy multiple times.

bearfan
04-28-2012, 12:03 PM
I'm ok missing a guy who everyone says is "valuable" in round 2, and to some extent in round three. I understand that there is a reason they fall. At the same time, I would like to see the Bears pull the trigger in round 4 on a guy who was valued at round 2, especially at a position of need. The TE fills a hole, but I feel the value was more with T.

But, Emery knows what he is doing better than I do.

Gay Ork Wang
04-28-2012, 12:42 PM
obviously he didnt grade out to be a 2nd round talent with the bears

Bearsfan123
04-28-2012, 12:46 PM
These players had better turn out, otherwise Emery will be roasted for the value game....

Gay Ork Wang
04-28-2012, 12:54 PM
if shea is a great starter, the rest i think will not be such a big deal

bearsfan_51
04-28-2012, 12:55 PM
Exactly. Drafts are judged by the first two rounds. If you get two starters out of a draft, you win. If you don't, you lose.

Monomach
04-28-2012, 02:10 PM
My question is: How bad do Andre Smith, Kyle Adams, and Draylen Ross suck that they don't look like they can be used in a FB/H-back role? We know Tyler Clutts can make 19 terrible blocks and one highlight reel block. Surely they can beat that?

I'm fine with the Rodriguez pick, I suppose. I even understand taking him in the fourth. He fits into my personal pick value philosophy. I want first and second rounders to be capable of starting in season one, third rounders to be capable of rotational use in season one with an eye on future of full-time starting, fourth rounders to be boom or bust guys, and round 5-7 to be special teams.

I don't know him, but after reading about a dozen scouting reports it looks like:

Pros:
-Big catch radius
-Excellent run blocking
-Leading receiver on his crappy team
-Capable of some YAC
-Good hands
-Good route running
-Regularly beats linebackers

Cons:
-Too small to be a traditional TE
-Gets overpowered easily when pass blocking
-Plays a little slower than his timed speed
-Was often too slow to beat safeties
-Has 3 misdemeanors on his record

The reports varied on his position. Some think he's a full-time FB. Most think he's an H-back and is going to require some serious creativity to make him productive.

Measurables [bold numbers are NE Patriot Aaron Hernandez for comparison]:
6'1" , 239 lbs [6'2", 245]
32" arms, 9.5" hands [32.25"" , 9.75"]
4.58 forty [4.64]
18 bench [30]
36" vertical , 9'11" broad [33' , 9'3"]
4.28 shuttle [4.18]
6.94 cone [6.83]

I included the numbers for Hernandez because everyone pretty much says he's a poor man's Hernandez.

So he looks like he's got the potential to be moved around and work the middle for mismatches, but do we have an OC good enough to pull it off? Who knows? At this point, Tice is a complete mystery. He could be a bumbling moron or an offensive genius for all we know.

I wish everyone would stop trying to copy the Patriots tight ends and just focus on scheming to stop them. I must admit, though...it is a little exciting that we appear to be tooling up for a high-octane passing attack like everyone else.

Now if we just had an O line...

bearfan
04-28-2012, 03:13 PM
Please go BPA at our next pick...there is still some value on the board

Gay Ork Wang
04-28-2012, 03:21 PM
Isiah Frey it is

bearsfan_51
04-28-2012, 03:23 PM
4 year starter at Nevada. Had 5 picks last season. 1st team all-WAC. Ran a 4.45 at his pro day. That's nice.

Monomach
04-28-2012, 03:41 PM
16 passes broken up last season, too. Either he got thrown at a lot or he really knows how to play the ball. Had the same number of bench press reps as our new first round 3-4 OLB (yeah, still not over that). Solid agility numbers.

I guess he gets burned pretty badly when he has to move laterally, so that's why he's a sixth rounder.

Seems solid for what it is.

jrdrylie
04-28-2012, 03:56 PM
Most people had him as a stretch to get drafted. I've haven't seen much of him so I can't really say much about him, but I would think corners such as Ryan Steed, Leonard Johnson, and Chase Minnifield would have been better picks.

Monomach
04-28-2012, 04:03 PM
Hoping we take a shot Dennard in the seventh. Maybe he doesn't go to jail. Who knows?

bearsfan_51
04-28-2012, 04:05 PM
Most people had him as a stretch to get drafted. I've haven't seen much of him so I can't really say much about him, but I would think corners such as Ryan Steed, Leonard Johnson, and Chase Minnifield would have been better picks.
I wouldn't put much stock into anything that people on the internet say, particularly when it comes to the later rounds.

Monomach
04-28-2012, 04:58 PM
CB Greg McCoy in the 7th. Special teams only. Good returner. Will never play defense because he is truly putrid.

bearfan
04-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Cannot say that I am happy with the end of the draft. I know, 51, it doesn't really matter. My opinion on the end of the draft is that you may as well take guys who have a pretty good track record in college. IE Dennard, Burfict, some of the other guys who had a higher rating. There is a good chance that the 7th rounder gets cut, so why not take a shot on a guy who slid down?

Overall, not a terrible draft, but one that reminds me a lot of what we would see from JA...so not as enthusiastic as I thought I would be.

Classic TCU pick lol

Monomach
04-28-2012, 05:02 PM
You know...it really does look a lot like a JA draft.

Huh.

bearsfan_51
04-28-2012, 05:04 PM
I actually agree with the "take a guy who has a good track record in college" which is why I like the Frey pick. The fact that he's a 4-year productive starter says a lot to me.

Dennard and Burfict are criminal tards. No thanks. I wasn't happy about the Rodriguez pick after I read about his criminal record.

bearsfan_51
04-28-2012, 05:07 PM
You know...it really does look a lot like a JA draft.

Huh.
Sort of. JA would always go chalk in the early rounds (particularly the first). JA never drafted a 1st round guy who didn't come from a BCS school (Boston College, Penn State, Florida, Oklahoma, Texas, Miami, Vanderbilt, Wisconsin). I can't see Angelo taking a risk on McCllelan in the 1st because of the small conference and lack of elite physical talents.

Monomach
04-28-2012, 05:09 PM
Well, Belicheck had the right idea in the seventh. They're at least going to sit on the rights to Dennard to see what happens there.

Monomach
04-28-2012, 06:03 PM
Round 1- Shea McClellin (theoretically a LE)
Good motor, good pad level. Undersized for a 4-3 DE, especially on the left where we'll be playing him. Got pushed around by NFL-sized tackles in college. Very weak upper body. He's never going to get through a double team, but he won't have to while we have Peppers. What happens when Peppers is gone? I give it a D because he only fits the scheme as a situational pass rusher right now, and you can't spend first round pick on those. If he can put on 15 pounds of upper body muscle and can still move smoothly, I'll change the grade.

Round 2- Alshon Jeffery, WR
Great flanker when he's in shape, not so great when he's fat. Has Mike Williams-itis. Should be a nice possession target with YAC ability across from Marshall. Though I don't understand why we're playing Marshall, the prototypical flanker, at split end, anyway...? Grade of B, but only because of the weight issues.

Round 3- Brandon Hardin, SS
Giant college corner who actually moved like a corner. Borderline linebacker size. Workout warrior. I like him a lot more than most, but I see a lot of potential for him to be an excellent coverage strong safety. Injury issues are overblown. All breaks, with none to the neck, back, or foot, so who cares? As far as I know, breaking his shoulder once doesn't make him any more likely to break it in the future. Probably would have been there a round later, so it was a mild reach. I think he'll see the field in his first season in an under-fire audition with how bad Major Wright is against the pass. C+.

Round 4- Evan Rodriguez, TE, FB, H-back, somethingorother
Somewhere between a homeless man's and a poor man's Aaron Hernandez. Has some decent measureables, which I like. Has more than one thing on his criminal record...that's something I hate. Boom or bust, which is how I roll in the fourth round, myself. B-.

Rounds 5-7
Who cares? Eliminate these from the draft and let the special teams/depth fodder/project kids sign where they want.

Overall grade: C with the potential to be a failure of Millenesque proportion. You don't fix the worst line in the league with scheme changes and elimination of 7 step drops; you fix it with better players. What's the best case scenario right now? Firing Mike Martz takes us from 32nd to 26th or 25th? It's all fun and games until your QB storms into free agency in disgust or winds up on the PUP list. I hate having to watch the perennially-successful teams scoop up the linemen. A great example is the Steelers. They had the 25th ranked O line last season. They used their first two picks on the O line and got guys that other teams with worse front offices let fall. There's a reason they're always picking at the ass-end of the draft. Even worse are the Saints. #1 line in the league last season. They lose a single guard, so they restructure multiple guys to free up cap space to get a decent replacement to ensure Drew Brees' continued safety.

Disappointing choice by the Bears, to say the least. We've finally got a franchise QB. Let's keep him on his feet and healthy before he signs with someone who will in 2014.

bearsfan_51
04-28-2012, 06:09 PM
D is a little harsh for McClellan. He's a guy with a late 1st/early 2nd grade, and we needed someone who could rush the passer, which he can do.

I don't like the pick either, but I would reserve a D grade for picks that simply don't make sense or are huge reaches.

I'd give this draft a C+/B-

dabears10
04-28-2012, 06:37 PM
D is a little harsh for McClellan. He's a guy with a late 1st/early 2nd grade, and we needed someone who could rush the passer, which he can do.

I don't like the pick either, but I would reserve a D grade for picks that simply don't make sense or are huge reaches.

Monomach hates the fit. I think it will be fine but he believes he is only a 3-4 OLB.

Bearsfan123
04-28-2012, 06:38 PM

See I agree with Monomarch. I dont think you take a guy who is incapable of playing in your scheme. On top of that I heard he has concussion issues. So you took a mid first round pick to get a guy who wasn't scouted to be able to play the position you wanna play him at, and on top of that he has injury concerns. If he turns out great so be it, but as reaction I don't think you can grade it higher than a C.

bearsfan_51
04-28-2012, 06:38 PM
We'll see what they plan on doing with him. If he's nothing but a hand-in-the-ground DE, then I agree.

bearsfan_51
04-28-2012, 06:39 PM
The concussion issues are reportedly not true. He had one concussion in high school.

Monomach
04-28-2012, 07:23 PM
We'll see what they plan on doing with him. If he's nothing but a hand-in-the-ground DE, then I agree.

Emery says he's a left end.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/27/bears-plan-to-play-shea-mcclellin-at-defensive-end/

That's why I stand by the D grade. He's not a left end unless they can fix his body and teach him to play with more bulk. At least they're not listening to Sean Jensen when he talked about going full-****** and trying to groom him for 4-3 MLB because "he and Urlacher are both tweeners." :njx:

The concussion issues are reportedly not true. He had one concussion in high school.Sounds like spin for the media.

He cops to two of them in college for a pre-draft interview in his hometown paper here:
http://www.idahostatesman.com/2012/04/26/2092362/rushing-the-nfl.html

If you saw somewhere where he said he had one in high school, that's three.

I like how he tries to brush them off by saying that he didn't miss a game, as if that were the point. I didn't take the concussions into consideration for the grade, since we don't know whether it was 2 or 3. Really, though, I probably should have given the pick an F based on that.

Monomach
04-28-2012, 07:32 PM
Bears have picked up two UDFA so far.

Ronnie Cameron, DT, Old Dominion
Scott Wedige, OL, Northern Illinois

Never heard of Wedige. Have seen Cameron's name before as a rotation pass-rusher, though.

edit: I guess Wedige is a center. Was first team All-MAC in 2010 and 2011.

edit #2: The Wedige report was full of crap. He's a Cardinal now.

Iamcanadian
04-28-2012, 08:17 PM
Ugh....get off the Massie stuff.

This happens all the damn time. Players drop, and because some draft guy said they were valuable, everyone believes it. There's a reason that every single NFL GM has passed on the guy multiple times.

If only people understood this principal. There are at least 10 special GM's who truly know what they are doing and can size up talent pretty well and if everyone of them passes on a prospect, you just know they are likely overhyped by a lot or have serious injury concerns which surfaced late. .

Sometimes it is injury problems that only surface at the last minute when the medical records from the combine and private workouts come out. That alone can send a prospect tumbling on draft day and we may not even be aware of it till post draft. Most GM's go strictly by what their doctors tell them.

Iamcanadian
04-28-2012, 08:22 PM

I hate the Bears but I love McClellin. He a perfect fit in a cover 2 scheme as a DE. I won't be at all shocked if he turns out to be a star for the Bears.
By the way, why are we discussing the Bear picks on the Lions forum with Bear fans???

Ooops, I'm clicked on the wrong forum, sorry guys.

Bearsfan123
04-28-2012, 10:54 PM
Some UDFAs id like to see: DaJohn Harris DT USC, Chase Minnifield CB.

Monomach
04-28-2012, 11:00 PM
Some UDFAs id like to see: DaJohn Harris DT USC, Chase Minnifield CB.

Harris signed with the Titans. Minnifield signed with the Redskins.

this is who the bears have so far:

Alvester Alexander, RB, Wyoming
James Brown, G, Troy
Ronnie Cameron, DT, Old Dominion
Adrien Cole, LB, Louisiana Tech
Trevor Coston, DB, Maine
David Mosley, WR, NW Missouri (camp invite)
Ronnie Thornton, LB, Southern Miss

James Brown is the only significant name, I think.

bearsfan_51
04-28-2012, 11:18 PM
I'd rather our UDFAs come from small schools anyway. It's pretty hard to go under the radar at Ohio State, but a kid from Maine is much more likely to be a diamond in the ruff.

regoob2
04-29-2012, 06:21 PM
Good motor, good pad level. Undersized for a 4-3 DE, especially on the left where we'll be playing him. Got pushed around by NFL-sized tackles in college. Very weak upper body. He's never going to get through a double team, but he won't have to while we have Peppers. What happens when Peppers is gone? I give it a D because he only fits the scheme as a situational pass rusher right now, and you can't spend first round pick on those. If he can put on 15 pounds of upper body muscle and can still move smoothly, I'll change the grade.

Round 2- Alshon Jeffery, WR
Great flanker when he's in shape, not so great when he's fat. Has Mike Williams-itis. Should be a nice possession target with YAC ability across from Marshall. Though I don't understand why we're playing Marshall, the prototypical flanker, at split end, anyway...? Grade of B, but only because of the weight issues.

Round 3- Brandon Hardin, SS
Giant college corner who actually moved like a corner. Borderline linebacker size. Workout warrior. I like him a lot more than most, but I see a lot of potential for him to be an excellent coverage strong safety. Injury issues are overblown. All breaks, with none to the neck, back, or foot, so who cares? As far as I know, breaking his shoulder once doesn't make him any more likely to break it in the future. Probably would have been there a round later, so it was a mild reach. I think he'll see the field in his first season in an under-fire audition with how bad Major Wright is against the pass. C+.

Round 4- Evan Rodriguez, TE, FB, H-back, somethingorother
Somewhere between a homeless man's and a poor man's Aaron Hernandez. Has some decent measureables, which I like. Has more than one thing on his criminal record...that's something I hate. Boom or bust, which is how I roll in the fourth round, myself. B-.

Rounds 5-7
Who cares? Eliminate these from the draft and let the special teams/depth fodder/project kids sign where they want.

Overall grade: C with the potential to be a failure of Millenesque proportion. You don't fix the worst line in the league with scheme changes and elimination of 7 step drops; you fix it with better players. What's the best case scenario right now? Firing Mike Martz takes us from 32nd to 26th or 25th? It's all fun and games until your QB storms into free agency in disgust or winds up on the PUP list. I hate having to watch the perennially-successful teams scoop up the linemen. A great example is the Steelers. They had the 25th ranked O line last season. They used their first two picks on the O line and got guys that other teams with worse front offices let fall. There's a reason they're always picking at the ass-end of the draft. Even worse are the Saints. #1 line in the league last season. They lose a single guard, so they restructure multiple guys to free up cap space to get a decent replacement to ensure Drew Brees' continued safety.

Disappointing choice by the Bears, to say the least. We've finally got a franchise QB. Let's keep him on his feet and healthy before he signs with someone who will in 2014.
If we drafted James Brown in the 3rd. Hardin in the 4th and Rodriguez in the 5th would you be happy?

Monomach
04-29-2012, 08:00 PM
If we drafted James Brown in the 3rd. Hardin in the 4th and Rodriguez in the 5th would you be happy?

No. James Brown alone is not going to get it done.

regoob2
04-30-2012, 01:46 PM
No. James Brown alone is not going to get it done.
McClellin and Jeffery were good pickups. There wasnt going to be a guy after that to come in and start at LT day one and improve the team.

I'm guessing Chris Williams will compete at LT with Webb. Hopefully Carimi can hold down RT. We should be fine with the scheme changes. We have a ton of bodies on the inside. Louis and Spencer are the likely starters there with Garza at C.

Monomach
04-30-2012, 07:05 PM
McClellin and Jeffery were good pickups. There wasnt going to be a guy after that to come in and start at LT day one and improve the team.

I'm guessing Chris Williams will compete at LT with Webb. Hopefully Carimi can hold down RT. We should be fine with the scheme changes. We have a ton of bodies on the inside. Louis and Spencer are the likely starters there with Garza at C.I'd go so far as to say that there were at least a dozen guys in the draft who could come in and do better than Webb's 38 pressures, 10 sacks, and 15 penalties resulting in 82 lost yards and 8 stalled drives.

The guy was literally the worst starting right tackle in the league one year and the worst starting left tackle in the league the next year. He was outperformed by the (rightly) reviled Frank Omiyale. You mention Williams getting a chance to compete at LT and I wish that were true, but I don't see it happening. For one thing, Tice has never said anything like that (incredibly, he's been saying that Webb was decent last year). For another, he's only had 414 career snaps there and didn't get a chance at all last year. Neither did Carimi, for that matter. J'Marcus was named the starter before last offseason's workouts, despite failing miserably on the right side. Williams would probably be an improvement. I don't know if he'd even be average (he wasn't in that small sample size), but anything less bad would be fantastic. Again, I don't see this happening. Any other O line coach would choose to develop Webb on the practice squad where he belongs right now...not as a starter. Unfortunately, Tice is absolutely unreasonable about it. He's like Lovie with Rashied Davis. Sometimes a coach just gets over-the-moon *** for a terrible player.

Our inside situation is not much better. Mike Tice liking big bodies is fine and all, but you can't just get yourself a collection of big seventh rounders and UDFAs expecting to find most of a starting line in it. That ton of bodies on the inside all performed pretty horribly last year other than Edwin Williams. Even Garza with that funny pro-bowl alternate nod he got.

I know people like to say that they were good in run blocking, but that's not true either. The Bears were stuffed at the line or ran for a loss on 24.1% of their rushes last season. Statistically, our best running was on the outside shoulder of the tight end, far away from any "holes" that the O line was attempting to create.

Way too many people are convinced that we have an excellent O line that was just being made to look bad by Mike Martz. It makes me think of all the Niners fans who have convinced themselves that AJ Jenkins was really the second or third-best wideout in the draft and grade the pick as an "A." Sometimes NFL teams really do make really, really bad decisions. Sometimes it's ignorance. Sometimes it's trying to look like a genius by plugging in nobodies and hoping they perform . Either way, bad is bad. There were a lot of legit O line upgrades available in free agency and the draft. We didn't try to get any of them, opting instead for Chilo Rachal, who fits right in with the bad group we have, and one UDFA with all of the tools to be groomed at tackle that they're calling a developmental guard.

ChiFan24
05-01-2012, 08:06 AM
Just read through the reactions to the Bears picks, and I gotta be honest, bearsfan_51 is the only one here that doesn't make me want to punch a baby. Either some of you have forgotten what Lovie's philosophy is (or you don't care because you don't like his defense) or you haven't watched enough McClellin. There is nothing wrong with his fit in this scheme. In theory, he's exactly what we want at that position. First and foremost, we need a guy that could consistently beat a RT and get pressure on the QB. I think we got the best pure pass rusher on the board. I do worry about him a bit as a strong side end vs. the run, but Lovie wants his linemen to quickly get off blocks and make plays on the ball carrier. I think he can do that, at least eventually, and if he struggles there early on we know Idonije can play on early downs. Most importantly, we needed somebody that can stay on the field against the Packers and Lions (and teams of that ilk) and put pressure on Aaron Rodgers and Matthew Stafford. I think we got that.

And if you do watch some videos of McClellin (there's plenty of stuff on Youtube -- obviously not coaches tape, granted, but enough to form a sound opinion), you can see why his numbers are what they are -- he played like 6 different positions per game, and dropped into coverage a lot more than you'd think. So on one hand, he's a little less experienced as a pass rusher, but on the other hand, when he DOES rush out of a 3point stance, he looks so natural and explosive off the line. I liked him a lot before the draft, had him in my top 20, but now that I've watched more I'm even more impressed. Really feeling good about the pick.

The pick I don't feel as great about as everyone else is Alshon, actually. First of all, I have my doubts he stays in shape. I just can't get over that photo. A guy that takes pride in being a great receiver shouldn't look like that. Obviously I don't know the guy, but I really question his motivation. Beyond that, I think he'll have trouble separating from NFL corners, and even if he's in great shape and he can separate better than I'm expecting, I don't think he's the explosive compliment to Marshall that our offense could have used. I don't hate the pick, I'm just not so quick to praise it.

The Hardin pick was all right. I don't love such an emphasis on special teams in the third round since that's the only place he's expected to contribute in the near future. Still, he's more impressive physically than any safety we've had since Lovie has been here. The upside is definitely worth a pick, though I probably would have tried to get him a little bit later - maybe trade down 10-15 spots, or trade up from the fourth rounder. I'm nitpicking though.

The Rodriguez pick was a little surprising. Again, probably would have tried to get him a little later, but I did like him coming into the draft. I like that the pick signals a move into the 21st century. No more terrible fullbacks that only exist to clog running lanes. E Rod will provide everything Clutts and McKie ever did (by default), and hopefully create some minor mismatches in the passing game.

The Frey pick was fine, the McCoy pick seemed incredibly redundant. I'd have liked to see a DT there. I'm past the point of caring about 5th and 7th rounders, though.

bearsfan_51
05-01-2012, 08:11 AM
You should totally punch a baby; they need acclimated to the harsh realities of the world.

ChiFan24
05-01-2012, 08:35 AM
Done and done.

Gay Ork Wang
05-02-2012, 03:45 AM
Hey, i liked Shea!

awfullyquiet
05-02-2012, 05:37 PM
Good motor, good pad level. Undersized for a 4-3 DE, especially on the left where we'll be playing him.

I'm only going to say this once, and then I'm outsies.

260lbs (which is what he was at the Combine) is exactly the size you want out of a pass rushing 4-3 DE that the bears want. Ogunleye was that size. Dwight Freeney is smaller. Robert Mathis is smaller. Alex Brown was that size. Jared Allen is between 265-270. Not everyone is ineffective at 260. It's a big mans league, but more than that, it's a leverage league. He plays with good leverage and balance, and that is more important than whatever number is on the scale.

He's probably not going to get much bigger than 265, and that's OK. Not everyone has to have a speed/height ratio like Peppers to be uber productive. They have to control their gaps and let the play flow to the LBs to rack up plenty of tackles. They don't have to be dominant in the run game, but they do have to play smart. That's everything that Emery says about McClellin in a nutshell.

I also think that Emery gifted this to Smith in order for him to cover the screen.

D-Unit
05-02-2012, 05:59 PM

260lbs (which is what he was at the Combine) is exactly the size you want out of a pass rushing 4-3 DE that the bears want. Ogunleye was that size. Dwight Freeney is smaller. Robert Mathis is smaller. Alex Brown was that size. Jared Allen is between 265-270. Not everyone is ineffective at 260. It's a big mans league, but more than that, it's a leverage league. He plays with good leverage and balance, and that is more important than whatever number is on the scale.

He's probably not going to get much bigger than 265, and that's OK. Not everyone has to have a speed/height ratio like Peppers to be uber productive. They have to control their gaps and let the play flow to the LBs to rack up plenty of tackles. They don't have to be dominant in the run game, but they do have to play smart. That's everything that Emery says about McClellin in a nutshell.

I also think that Emery gifted this to Smith in order for him to cover the screen.
Powerfully said.

bearsfan_51
05-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Girl power.

regoob2
05-03-2012, 09:56 AM

I agree he doesnt need to get bigger. I think if he gets stronger it will only help. He needs a bit of time in the weight room but his size isnt an issue.

Monomach
05-04-2012, 12:15 AM

260lbs (which is what he was at the Combine) is exactly the size you want out of a pass rushing 4-3 DE that the bears want. Ogunleye was that size. Dwight Freeney is smaller. Robert Mathis is smaller. Alex Brown was that size. Jared Allen is between 265-270. Not everyone is ineffective at 260. It's a big mans league, but more than that, it's a leverage league. He plays with good leverage and balance, and that is more important than whatever number is on the scale.260lbs is ok if you're strong. Shea just isn't. He's got the upper body strength of Alshon Jeffery. It shows both on tape and in his workout. Dwight Freeney and Jared Allen are both complete ends...but they're 270 and stronger than Shea while being just as fast.

Ogunleye was always inconsistent against the run. Alex Brown was the opposite, strong against the run but not great at rushing the passer. It took 6 years for Robert Mathis to stop being a detriment to the defense on running plays. Dumervil is a smaller guy you didn't mention that popped right into my head, and he was a liability against the run when the Broncos were 4-3. That's a lot of one-dimensional guys at that size.

He's probably not going to get much bigger than 265, and that's OK. Not everyone has to have a speed/height ratio like Peppers to be uber productive. No, they don't have to be like Peppers, but nearly all of the effective 4-down players at 4-3 DE are in the area of 6-5 and 270 lbs. The ones that aren't are the minority. In the top 20, you need to get people who are going to be on the field all of the time.

They have to control their gaps and let the play flow to the LBs to rack up plenty of tackles. They don't have to be dominant in the run game, but they do have to play smart. That's everything that Emery says about McClellin in a nutshell.Emery can say what he wants, but this doesn't show up on tape. In college, he was used in a variety of positions. Emery says we're just using him at LE, and that looked to be about where he was the worst on tape. He was ok against tackles when he had a running start and some space to maneuver and was ok head-on against slow guards, but when he lined up right on tackles for a one-on-one matchup, he was just swallowed up. He has no strength to move them and the straight-line speed he looked to rely on is largely negated when you're starting off inches from him.

I can see that, but we were good against the screen as we were.

Side note: It's almost shocking that the guy manages to be 260lbs with such short arms and not destroy the bench press. That kind of weight on his frame with short arms is usually the blueprint for success at that. My first thought was that he must have amazing leg muscles, but that doesn't show in the workout numbers that usually show lower-body explosion. It all comes together to scream "soft body" and "overachieving low-ceiling player."

Like I said, if he manages to put on 10lbs of muscle in his upper body and keep his speed, I'll see it differently, but right now he looks like a one-trick pony situational pass rusher a la Mark Anderson/Dumervil/Ogunleye/early Mathis.

MidwayMonster31
05-05-2012, 01:32 PM
Fortunately McClellin is a pretty hard worker, so he can be a solid player. I think right now, he might get looks at SLB or 3rd down edge rusher, with the ability to go down to every down player next year, once he gains the proper amount of strength. He is more of a pursuit player, which suits us pretty well since he can get after short passes and screens better.