PDA

View Full Version : Jags are releasing David Garrard

NY+Giants=NYG
09-06-2011, 02:06 PM
I'm reporting the Jaguars today have informed starting QB David Garrard they are releasing him! Luke McKown will start opener! Shocker!!!

http://twitter.com/#!/Jay_Glazer/status/111151706418585600

Thanks to DannyC on BBI for posting this.

SolidGold
09-06-2011, 02:08 PM
If that is true this is the second time in the last few years they have released the proclaimed starter a few days before the regular season. I wonder if he ends up in Seattle.

asdf1223
09-06-2011, 02:10 PM
He could go to a number of teams in the middle of the week and instantly upgrade their QB situations. San Fran makes a ton of sense as well.

killxswitch
09-06-2011, 02:12 PM
I'll be shocked if Kaepernick has a good year.

M.O.T.H.
09-06-2011, 02:12 PM
They're really thin at QB and WR, a release of Garrard pretty much signifies that they dont intend on winning much this year.

I like the idea of Garrard going to the Seahawks.

M.O.T.H.
09-06-2011, 02:13 PM
I'll be shocked if Kaepernick has a good year.

Alex Smith is the starter...but I agree that Kaepernick would probably get killed out there this season.

bucfan12
09-06-2011, 02:13 PM
WOW! A little late for this isn't it? Didn't he and Gabbert split reps with the 1st team the entire Training Camp, and yet they're releasing Garrard and starting McCown, who had no reps at all with the 1st team? I think the Jags are in for a rough year.

BmoreBlackByrdz
09-06-2011, 02:14 PM
whoa! surprised they didn't try and trade him. San Fran definitely looks like the best fit.

darkhorses - Cincinnati and Miami

TheFinisher
Looks like a healthy dose of MJD this year for the Jags..

My fantasy team gives thanks.

vidae
I'd loooove it if Pioli released Palko and signed Garrard to be a backup. That would make me feel a lot better about our QB situation. Get to it Pioli!

SolidGold
Jacksonville should be interesting to watch this year. I assume they will be very run heavy.

M.O.T.H.
09-06-2011, 02:15 PM
WOW! A little late for this isn't it? Didn't he and Gabbert split reps with the 1st team the entire Training Camp, and yet they're releasing Garrard and starting McCown, who had no reps at all with the 1st team? I think the Jags are in for a rough year.

Gabbert certainly isnt the type I'd want starting right away. But yeah, you arent winning many games with Mccown. He's still probably a better option than Gabbert now, though. I dont want to see much of Gabbert at all this year.

FuzzyGopher
Doesn't Del Rio pretty much need to win to save his job? And he's going all in with Luke ****** McCown?? His funeral I suppose.

NY+Giants=NYG
The question is why are they releasing him?

Why now?! He can't get on a team and play right away. He has to get down the offense while the season is starting, and not have mini camp, OTAs, or training camp with the new team. That's a tough situation. That's a shady situation as well. It's not like he was in bad standing with the team, and they let him go like that before the season?

Xiomera
09-06-2011, 02:16 PM
Who the hell is David D?

keylime_5
09-06-2011, 02:16 PM
stupid stupid decision. peyton manning is gonna miss some games, let's throw in the towel on trying to win the division. that makes sense :/

TACKLE
09-06-2011, 02:19 PM
So do they trade Gabby and take Luck or do they try to trade that pick?

asdf1223
09-06-2011, 02:19 PM
From whatever I heard he was a pretty standup guy as well. Absolute dick move IMO. He could have helped another team and they could have gotten a draft pick atleast. Also way to kill all the momentum from last year's ticket sales. They better get ready to cover all those seats again.

Please sign him Seahawks.

bucfan12
09-06-2011, 02:20 PM
This is writing on the wall for Del Rio. Garrard has been an average starter making top 10 money. What shocks me is why did it take this long to release him?

McCown is a solid player and think he was acutally better than Garrard at a point last year where they considered playing him, until he tore an ACL. The thing is, McCown had no reps with the 1st team offense. The Jags have no weapons at WR. Mike Thomas is decent for a 2/3 option.

Can't just run MJD into the ground. I see the Jags doing what Tampa did with Freeman. Have McCown serve as the starter the first 6- 8 weeks or so, then go with Gabbert. Let him watch for a bit. This is a learning year for the Jags, who will then clean house with the coaching staff and go with Derek Koeter, there Offensive Coordinator, as there next head coach. I think he's got a future there.

Roddoliver
09-06-2011, 02:21 PM
New head coach and 1st overall pick in 2012. What a classless organization.

JBCX
09-06-2011, 02:22 PM
Somebody has decided to enter the "Suck for Luck" sweepstakes!

The Quest for Andrew Luck: Contestant #5 has arrived!

NY+Giants=NYG
09-06-2011, 02:22 PM
Who the hell is David D?

Opps, I meant G.

M.O.T.H.
09-06-2011, 02:26 PM

Except they just drafted Gabbert in the 1st round. They're just trying to secure him a number one receiver, named Alshon Jeffery. :)

papa burgundy
wayne weaver = rachel phelps?

hawkeye123
No way he signs with the 49ers...We're pretty much set at QB with Alex Smith, Kapernick, and Tolzien.

DraftSavant
09-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Teflon Jack waves his magic wand, hoping to catch lightning in a bottle again with a QB change right before the season starts.

I hate that organization so much. So directionless it's laughable.

SolidGold
09-06-2011, 02:27 PM
Sounds like the Jags didn't view him as worth the money they were paying him and did not see much of a gap between him and McCown.

Unbiased
09-06-2011, 02:28 PM
Doesn't Del Rio pretty much need to win to save his job? And he's going all in with Luke ****** McCown?? His funeral I suppose.

Del Rio doesn't make roster decisions, and no, the playoffs or bust ultimatum was taken away a long time ago.

And no, McCown didn't get any 1st team reps in the preseason but Garrard was just atrocious. They're probably sick of his BS every damn year.

Unbiased
09-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Teflon Jack waves his magic wand, hoping to catch lightning in a bottle again with a QB change right before the season starts.

I hate that organization so much. So directionless it's laughable.

Del Rio doesn't make roster decisions. Learn something before you speak.

DraftSavant
09-06-2011, 02:29 PM
Sounds like the Jags didn't view him as worth the money they were paying him and did not see much of a gap between him and McCown.

It's 2007 all over again.

As crappy as their offensive line has been, they probably didn't expect him to make it through the season anyways: either due to injury or poor play. At that point, it doesn't make sense to pay his guaranteed $8 million pricetag.

Timing still makes no sense, though. They wasted McCown/Gabbert reps by giving them to Garrard AND they killed any trade value they could have gotten had they made it known he was available at the start of training camp.

Plus, they screw over any chance he had at going to another place and competing for a job.

jrdrylie
09-06-2011, 02:30 PM

No. If they get the top pick, they will not take Luck. You don't take a QB in the top-15 one year and then take another QB the next. They could trade the pick, but there is no way they would draft Luck. A guy like Couples or Kirkpatrick would be much more likely.

RufusMcDaniel
09-06-2011, 02:30 PM
http://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb146/__Pixiex/Animated%20Gifs/evilsmile.gif

Well, I hope that this means 1-0 for the Titans.

JBCX
09-06-2011, 02:31 PM
No. If they get the top pick, they will not take Luck. You don't take a QB in the top-15 one year and then take another QB the next. They could trade the pick, but there is no way they would draft Luck. A guy like Couples or Kirkpatrick would be much more likely.

Yeah, if they decide to stick with Gabbert as their QB. But maybe you just don't pass up a once-in-a-generation talent such as Luck?

Or maybe the Jags are going to try to ransom the pick off to the team that can give them the most draft picks in exchange for the ability to select Luck?

jrdrylie
09-06-2011, 02:32 PM
No way he signs with the 49ers...We're pretty much set at QB with Alex Smith, Kapernick, and Tolzien.

No team that has the QB rotation of Alex Smith, Colin Kaepernick, and Scott Tolzien should ever say they are pretty much set at QB.

DraftSavant

I'm well aware of how personnel decisions in the Jags' front office are made.

GM GENEIUS STRIKES AGAIN LOLZ HE CAN DO NO WRONG OMG BEST GM EVERRZZZZ SMALL SCHOOOLZZZZ

SolidGold

As crappy as their offensive line has been, they probably didn't expect him to make it through the season anyways: either due to injury or poor play. At that point, it doesn't make sense to pay his guaranteed $8 million pricetag.

Timing still makes no sense, though. They wasted McCown/Gabbert reps by giving them to Garrard AND they killed any trade value they could have gotten had they made it known he was available at the start of training camp.

Plus, they screw over any chance he had at going to another place and competing for a job.

Yea I am surprised that they did not try to trade him. Although the ceiling for him would probably have been a 4th round pick.

ShutDwn
I wonder if they sprung this on him or if he knew it was coming. Do you think Garrard can hold a grudge as long as he holds the ball?

He always looks like he is running on the tip of his toes.

Well, the Jags will definitely suck now so they're one step closer to Luck and if they get him it would be better to put him in a big market. I couldn't imagine where that market might be.

bucfan12
09-06-2011, 02:33 PM
Yea, but what is so classless was they waited 5 days before the start of the regular season to make this move. This move could have been done once the lockout ended. Yes, I understand why the move was made. He wasn;t performing to the amount of his contract, in which he was getting paid almost million a year.

I think Seattle is the front runner for his services. Miami is a darkhorse, but those are the only 2 viable options in my opinion. If either aren't interested, he's probably going to have to settle being a back up somewhere. A team like Carolina would be a good place. Garrard is a standup guy when it comes to character. He could mentor Cam.

WMD
Seeing as how I have Sidney Rice on my fantasy team, I'd like to see him go to Seattle. I know Garrard isn't amazing but he's better than Tarvaris and Whitehurst.

Unbiased

There's no reason to believe they were planning it since July. They probably didn't expect him to be awful in preseason.

SolidGold

GM GENEIUS STRIKES AGAIN LOLZ HE CAN DO NO WRONG OMG BEST GM EVERRZZZZ SMALL SCHOOOLZZZZ

In all fairness Gene Smith ha had to clean up Shaq Harris' mess in Jacksonville...bust galore.

FlyingElvis
09-06-2011, 02:34 PM
As others have said - it's bizarre that they'd give McCown no reps and then make this move with half a week left before game number 1.

Unbiased

You were clearly wrong and I corrected you. I said absolutely nothing about Gene Smith's drafting.

DraftSavant

Gene Smith said Roethlisberger was the top rated player for the Jags and should have been their pick in the 2004 draft, and they passed on him because they (meaning scapegoat Shack Harris) were committed to the development of Byron Leftwich.

Will Gene Smith make the same mistake twice? That's the interesting question. He'll spend the next five years trying to surround Gabbert with talent and wondering why it's blowing up in his face, not realizing he's no different than his predecessor (minus Smith's over-reliance on small school prospects).

murdamal86
09-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Best news of the day and week for me!!!

Ness
09-06-2011, 02:35 PM
Dumb move by Jacksonville. This might the closest to tanking the season I've seen in recent memory. It really just doesn't make sense to release Garrard at this point in the season who has been sharing a lot of the first team reps with Gabbert and then start Luke McCown, who I think is probably a worse player anyways. Now you have a quarterback that hasn't practiced the much the entire summer which was already shortened by the lockout headed your offense week one. Even if you have a bad situation, never give up. I'm surprised Wayne Weaver "okayed" this decision. And for Del Rio trying to save his job, this is probably the stupidest thing you can do. If you aren't committed to the quarterback fine, but don't trade him with days away from the season opener. I'm sure that sends a great message to the locker room.

JoeJoeBrown
09-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Opps, I meant G.

Do you mean, "Oops"?

Thecollegedropout
09-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Seems like Miami is a good bet to sign him....but boy Chan Gailey would work wonders with Garrard at the helm(They got the white David Garrard already in Fitzpatrick however though)

Sparano is just desperate for anyone with past success which Garrard has. Sparano doesn't do well this season with Miami, he gone.

Unbiased
09-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Yea, but what is so classless was they waited 5 days before the start of the regular season to make this move. This move could have been done once the lockout ended. Yes, I understand why the move was made. He wasn;t performing to the amount of his contract, in which he was getting paid almost million a year.

I think Seattle is the front runner for his services. Miami is a darkhorse, but those are the only 2 viable options in my opinion. If either aren't interested, he's probably going to have to settle being a back up somewhere. A team like Carolina would be a good place. Garrard is a standup guy when it comes to character. He could mentor Cam.

Except he was coming off a good year. They probably didn't expect him to fall flat on his face in the preseason. David's play is the reason for this.

Thecollegedropout
09-06-2011, 02:39 PM
Del Rio doesn't make roster decisions, and no, the playoffs or bust ultimatum was taken away a long time ago.

And no, McCown didn't get any 1st team reps in the preseason but Garrard was just atrocious. They're probably sick of his BS every damn year.
If the GM isn't even asking or discussing the head coach about any personnel changes, especially when it comes to a QB change 5 days heading into week 1, then there are some serious problems in Jacksonville that need to be addressed and questioned by fans.

The coach has to have a say in the matter, even if overruled.

Ness
09-06-2011, 02:40 PM
Garrard will be picked up quickly I'm sure. I wouldn't mind having him on the 49ers as a backup. If we had him at the beginning of training camp he may have beaten out Alex as the starter. Harbaugh was high on him when he came out of college apparently.

Unbiased
09-06-2011, 02:41 PM
Dumb move by Jacksonville. This might the closest to tanking the season I've seen in recent memory. It really just doesn't make sense to release Garrard at this point in the season who has been sharing a lot of the first team reps with Gabbert and then start Luke McCown, who I think is probably a worse player anyways. Now you have a quarterback that hasn't practiced the much the entire summer which was already shortened by the lockout headed your offense week one. Even if you have a bad situation, never give up. I'm surprised Wayne Weaver "okayed" this decision. And for Del Rio trying to save his job, this is probably the stupidest thing you can do. If you aren't committed to the quarterback fine, but don't trade him with days away from the season opener. I'm sure that sends a great message to the locker room.

That locker room decided Garrard should no longer be a captain this year, so I'm not sure why you're saying that. They feel McCown is playing better than Garrard right now and whoever would have one the starting job only had a year. It's not like they're saying McCown is better than Garrard long term, they're saying McCown is better than Garrard for 2011. Gabbert will probably start in 2012.

Ness
09-06-2011, 02:42 PM
Except he was coming off a good year. They probably didn't expect him to fall flat on his face in the preseason. David's play is the reason for this.

Yeah, but is McCown really going to give the franchise a better chance to win games than Garrard. Really, that entire team is awful except for Jones-Drew and maybe Mercedes Lewis. I didn't see Garrard play in the preseason, but was it really all on his shoulders?

killxswitch
09-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Alex Smith is the starter...but I agree that Kaepernick would probably get killed out there this season.

Dammit I meant Gabbert.

Unbiased
09-06-2011, 02:44 PM
Yeah, but is McCown really going to give the franchise a better chance to win games than Garrard. Really, that entire team is awful except for Jones-Drew and maybe Mercedes Lewis. I didn't see Garrard play in the preseason, but was it really all on his shoulders?

I don't understand why you're admitting you haven't watched yet you have such strong conviction that this is a stupid move.

Ness
09-06-2011, 02:45 PM
That locker room decided Garrard should no longer be a captain this year, so I'm not sure why you're saying that. They feel McCown is playing better than Garrard right now and whoever would have one the starting job only had a year. It's not like they're saying McCown is better than Garrard long term, they're saying McCown is better than Garrard for 2011. Gabbert will probably start in 2012.
McCown looking better than Garrard in the preseason doesn't really mean too much to me. It's not like McCown lit it up in the preseason across the NFL. At this point it would have better to have just kept him. And he really wasn't coming off a great season. They could have released him a long time ago. Maybe even before last season.

Unbiased
09-06-2011, 02:46 PM
If anyone sees this move as tanking the season, you're simply wrong. McCown is a better QB right now than David Garrard. That's all there is to it.

Thecollegedropout
Any chance Wayne Weaver and Gene Smith try and make a ploy on Denver in regards to acquiring Tim Tebow for the cheap to generate a buzz or no shot?

I don't think so with Gabbert in town but you know that Tebow with the Jags would get some of the Tebow fans very giddy about the team.

Ness
I don't understand why you're admitting you haven't watched yet you have such strong conviction that this is a stupid move.

I don't have to have watched much because the timing of it automatically makes it stupid.

SolidGold
The Jags defense improved this off season. I do not think they will be terrible. I just think they are going to run the hell out of the ball.

Unbiased
09-06-2011, 02:47 PM
McCown looking better than Garrard in the preseason doesn't really mean too much to me. It's not like McCown lit it up in the preseason across the NFL. At this point it would have better to have just kept him. And he really wasn't coming off a great season. They could have released him a long time ago. Maybe even before last season.

I didn't say he was coming off a great season.

jrdrylie
09-06-2011, 02:49 PM
Gene Smith said Roethlisberger was the top rated player for the Jags and should have been their pick in the 2004 draft, and they passed on him because they (meaning scapegoat Shack Harris) were committed to the development of Byron Leftwich.

Will Gene Smith make the same mistake twice? That's the interesting question. He'll spend the next five years trying to surround Gabbert with talent and wondering why it's blowing up in his face, not realizing he's no different than his predecessor (minus Smith's over-reliance on small school prospects).

You are ignoring two points here. First, Gene Smith said this years later. It was after Leftwich busted and Roethlisberger was a Super Bowl winner. Of course, with hindsight, Roethlisberger should have been the pick. But had Gene Smith been the GM back then, they would not have picked Roethlisberger. Second, Smith obviously likes Gabbert. He traded his first and second round pick to move up six spots to get him. If you give up valuable picks, you better like the guy a lot. And if you like a guy a lot, you don't give up on him after one year.

Ness
09-06-2011, 02:49 PM
I didn't say he was coming off a great season.

I know you didn't.

bucfan12
09-06-2011, 02:51 PM
He wasn't coming off a great season or good for that matter. He was an average starter making the money of a franchise QB. Do I fault the Jags front office in not getting him WR help? Absolutely and that will hurt McCown and Gabbert as well. There WR situation is at the bottom of the league, worse than St. Louis. However, Garrard still didn't impress me. Erratic and inaccurate and only had that 1 good year when he took the Jags to the playoffs.

niel89
09-06-2011, 02:55 PM
First off, I'd love the guy to come to Baltimore to be the back up for the year. It gives him time to find somewhere next offseason to identify his best opportunity moving forward.

Second, if they do suck bad enough to be picking #1 then I'd assume that there is a new coach in town also. New coaches often want to go out and get their guy at QB. Its silly to just toss Gabbert aside, but a new coach shouldn't feel bound to him.

M.O.T.H.
09-06-2011, 02:55 PM
Dammit I meant Gabbert.

I agree with this one too. Personally, I dont want him to see the field. I just get that bust type vibe from the guy, if he's thrown out there real early. He's really rough, I'd like to see him sit.

Ness
09-06-2011, 02:57 PM
He wasn't coming off a great season or good for that matter. He was an average starter making the money of a franchise QB. Do I fault the Jags front office in not getting him WR help? Absolutely and that will hurt McCown and Gabbert as well. There WR situation is at the bottom of the league, worse than St. Louis. However, Garrard still didn't impress me. Erratic and inaccurate and only had that 1 good year when he took the Jags to the playoffs.

True he's not the best starter around, but really that offensive line just degraded after 2007. Jacksonville could have done a better job trying to help David. Granted their defense (especially their pass rush) has been terrible for years and they've tried to address that a couple of times early in the draft and in free agency and it still hasn't worked out. That being said there were reports in the past of David just being lazy at times to learn the playbook and such a la Aaron Brooks. So while it's not all of David's fault for what has gone down in Jacksonville, he does take some of the blame. That being said, I'm sure he'll find another home quickly. Right now he's probably the best quarterback on the market.

RaiderNation
09-06-2011, 03:00 PM
I'd think both Seattle and Miami should look into bringing him in. He is an upgrade over Jackson/Henne and with the talent surrounding Garrard they could atleast be competitive.

bucfan12
09-06-2011, 03:11 PM
I'd think both Seattle and Miami should look into bringing him in. He is an upgrade over Jackson/Henne and with the talent surrounding Garrard they could atleast be competitive.

I think it'll be Miami. Seattle has a 3rd round pick invested in Whitehurst, who will probably be the starter soon. Jackson wwas just given 4-5 million a year to be the starter.

Ness
09-06-2011, 03:13 PM
I think it'll be Miami. Seattle has a 3rd round pick invested in Whitehurst, who will probably be the starter soon. Jackson wwas just given 4-5 million a year to be the starter.

I agree. I think Miami would be a nice fit.

Caulibflower
09-06-2011, 03:17 PM
...Indianapolis? What would it cost the Colts to cut Collins?

DraftSavant
09-06-2011, 03:20 PM

Remember, the Jags were second to last in the league in terms of passing attempts last year. They already have to manipulate the offense around their QB's shortcomings, so it's not like this changes a whole lot for them.

M.O.T.H.
09-06-2011, 03:24 PM
The team is in a rough spot regardless, it's not going to be easy being successful when you start Mike Thomas and Jason Hill on the outside.

I actuallly do like both guys...but not as a starting tandem at all. Mike Thomas is all of a 5'8ish #1 receiver. Good luck with that.

Ness
09-06-2011, 03:27 PM
Can't believe Del Rio has served more time than Coughlin did as head coach.

Shane P. Hallam
09-06-2011, 03:27 PM
First off, I'd love the guy to come to Baltimore to be the back up for the year. It gives him time to find somewhere next offseason to identify his best opportunity moving forward.

Ding ding ding! Would make sense to sign Garrard as a back-up in Baltimore.

This is just crappy timing. Why not release him earlier? I'm sure there is some reason, but it will be so hard for a team to bring him in and him to learn the system. Had he been released a month ago, he could compete for a starting spot somewhere IMO.

stephenson86
09-06-2011, 03:37 PM
Good to know the Titans will start 1-0.

DoughBoy
09-06-2011, 03:50 PM
I guess I'm one of the few that thinks it was a good move to drop him. Granted, they should have done it earlier, but that team is going nowhere with him at QB. I don't even think he is average anymore and probably shouldn't be anything more than a back-up at this stage of his career.

nepg
09-06-2011, 03:57 PM
I think it's a wash between Garrard and McCown, and I think McCown gives them a better situation to bring Gabbert along under.

They've never been happy with Garrard, and it's silly that it took this long to just dump him.

tjsunstein
09-06-2011, 04:09 PM
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p316/sjonathan02/smh.gif

Babylon
09-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Good to know the Titans will start 1-0.

Yeah but if McNown gets hurt early then Gabbert will be in there, on second thought congrats on being 1-0.

OzTitan
09-06-2011, 06:08 PM
lol, they better be 1-0.

Although in the past the Titans had a nasty habbit of making backup QBs look great. Rosenfels still gives me nightmares. Munchak will be tested very early on whether his team inherited this trait from Fisher.

V.I.P
09-06-2011, 06:12 PM
Yesss Luke McKown starter !!!!!

Always liked him, disappointed the Bucs never gave him a chance.

Cool Hand Luke Lives.... (:

CC.SD
09-06-2011, 06:15 PM

Ugh, why would anyone listen to you with this kind of condescension. Anything on this topic that doesn't come directly from a player or the organization is speculation anyway.

That said, I don't believe there is any way the presumed starting QB gets released 2 days before the season without the head coach's input. That stretches the bounds of believability for me, if it's true you're veering into Al Davis territory, and that's not exactly the Occam's razor solution.

Sucks for Garrard, he's not exactly high on my list but never seemed like a bad guy and is now once again in a tricky situation. Del Rio was already all in with Gabbert so might as well bring him on.

Unbiased
09-06-2011, 08:24 PM
AP writer Mark Long tweeted that he asked a player if the team had lost confidence in David and the player said, "There was no confidence to be lost."

So there's more evidence to throw that "It will cause a problem in the locker room" that Niners fan was saying.

Unbiased
09-06-2011, 08:27 PM
Ugh, why would anyone listen to you with this kind of condescension. Anything on this topic that doesn't come directly from a player or the organization is speculation anyway.

That said, I don't believe there is any way the presumed starting QB gets released 2 days before the season without the head coach's input. That stretches the bounds of believability for me, if it's true you're veering into Al Davis territory, and that's not exactly the Occam's razor solution.

Sucks for Garrard, he's not exactly high on my list but never seemed like a bad guy and is now once again in a tricky situation. Del Rio was already all in with Gabbert so might as well bring him on.
It's condescension because I was frustrated that everyone who doesn't know a thing about the Jags or follow them at all becomes an expert. That guy then responded with condescension that wasn't even related to the topic so if you're the internet police, do it for everyone.

Unbiased
09-06-2011, 08:28 PM

And what do you mean "all in with Gabbert?"

gpngc
09-06-2011, 08:56 PM
Where's he going? Seattle? San Fran?

Caddy
09-06-2011, 09:05 PM
So glad McCown is getting a start. I really thought he could be a serviceable guy in the NFL when he was in Tampa, he just never got a chance due to injury and Gruden's QB carousel.

DraftSavant
09-06-2011, 10:01 PM
It's condescension because I was frustrated that everyone who doesn't know a thing about the Jags or follow them at all becomes an expert. That guy then responded with condescension that wasn't even related to the topic so if you're the internet police, do it for everyone.

The problem is that Jag fans think their front office works in special ways. Other than wasting a gluttony of draft picks on small school guys who should mostly be UDFA's, they aren't any different. Most NFL teams have a personnel guy with final say on roster moves. To think that personnel man wouldn't be relying significantly on the input of the head coach is, quite frankly, stupid.

So I "know" how the Jags' front office works because I know how most NFL teams work.

Rosebud
09-06-2011, 10:50 PM
The problem is that Jag fans think their front office works in special ways. Other than wasting a gluttony of draft picks on small school guys who should mostly be UDFA's, they aren't any different. Most NFL teams have a personnel guy with final say on roster moves. To think that personnel man wouldn't be relying significantly on the input of the head coach is, quite frankly, stupid.

So I "know" how the Jags' front office works because I know how most NFL teams work.

Given how well a number of those picks have worked out I would have to say that that statement is completely false and moronic.

Ness
09-07-2011, 12:36 AM
AP writer Mark Long tweeted that he asked a player if the team had lost confidence in David and the player said, "There was no confidence to be lost."

So there's more evidence to throw that "It will cause a problem in the locker room" that Niners fan was saying.

So one anonymous player speaks for the Jaguars entire team?

DraftSavant
09-07-2011, 01:02 AM
Given how well a number of those picks have worked out I would have to say that that statement is completely false and moronic.

Terrance Knighton (who went to Temple - small school still FCS), Rashad Jennings, Deji Karim...and that's about it.

Larry Hart and Scotty McGee got cut. Zach Miller sucks at blocking and can't stay off the training table. Austen Lane has yet to do anything. Ditto for Dillard. We'll see about Shorts...could be a decent pick. Derek Cox has been downright terrible at times, we'll see if he can bounce back with improved safety play.

Not exactly completely false or moronic.

murdamal86
09-07-2011, 07:46 AM
Terrance Knighton (who went to Temple - small school still FCS), Rashad Jennings, Deji Karim...and that's about it.

Larry Hart and Scotty McGee got cut. Zach Miller sucks at blocking and can't stay off the training table. Austen Lane has yet to do anything. Ditto for Dillard. We'll see about Shorts...could be a decent pick. Derek Cox has been downright terrible at times, we'll see if he can bounce back with improved safety play.

Not exactly completely false or moronic.

Couldn't have said it better. His small school picks have not panned out.

bigbluedefense
09-07-2011, 12:30 PM
This could have been handled better.

Anyway, Gabbert sucks. I don't believe in Gabbert.

DraftSavant
09-07-2011, 03:37 PM

Numerous people covering the Jags are noting today that Garrard had a 3-interception practice on Monday, and Jack Del Rio told Smith that night that he couldn't win with Garrard.

So whose decision was it again?

DraftSavant
09-07-2011, 03:41 PM
@priscoCBS It was Del Rio initially -- but signed off on by powers that be. That's the facts.

What do I know, though? I'm just some person who knows nothing about the Jags pretending to be an expert.

diabsoule
09-07-2011, 03:51 PM
Big question is now: who will pick up Garrard? 49ers? Panthers? Colts? Vikings? Seattle?

DraftSavant
09-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Big question is now: who will pick up Garrard? 49ers? Panthers? Colts? Vikings? Seattle?

Word is that he's considering retirement.

M.O.T.H.
09-07-2011, 04:00 PM
I havent heard that. hmm.

All I know is Seattle isnt interested.

niel89
09-07-2011, 04:19 PM
I still would love him as a back up in Baltimore for a year.