PDA

View Full Version : Best Players in Week 1

D-Unit
09-06-2011, 08:00 PM
Who did you identify as some of top performers of Week 1?

Unfortunately for me, the only full game I got to watch was the Hawaii vs Colorado game. Seeing as the Cowboys interior OL is a question mark this year, I tried to watch Colorado RG Ryan Miller a lot. While he looked big, agile and moved well, thought he got pushed back too much in pass protection. Colorado ended up giving up 7 sacks and only rushed for +17 yards the entire game. Can't blame it on Miller, but I thought there were some pluses and minuses.

So yeah, since I missed so much, who stood out to you guys?

princefielder28
09-06-2011, 09:46 PM
Ty Hilton had a nice game for Florida International...he reminds me alot of Titus Young; special teams potential, a game changer with the ball in his hands

Russell Wilson was a stud in his first game as a badger...did more damage with his legs than arm though

Brent
09-06-2011, 09:47 PM
Cyrus Gray

Raiderz4Life
09-06-2011, 10:01 PM
Robert Woods of USC beasted it.

Hurricanes25
09-06-2011, 10:16 PM
I wasn't able to watch as many games as I would have liked but here are some players that impressed me:

QB Matt Barkley, USC
QB Robert Griffin III, Baylor
RB Ray Graham, Pittsburgh
RB Lamar Miller, Miami
WR Kendall Wright, Baylor
WR Jordan White, Western Michigan
WR Robert Woods, USC
LB Ramon Buchanan, Miami

RufusMcDaniel
09-06-2011, 10:24 PM
Wasn't able to watch many games in full, and only saw a few games anyways, but the names that stood out for me was.

Tyrann Mathieu, Lamar Miller, Darrell Scott, Vaughn Telemaque, Danny O'brien, Brandon Herron :D!

YAYareaRB
09-06-2011, 10:24 PM
bryant moniz had quite a game

Babylon
09-06-2011, 10:30 PM
Robert Woods of USC beasted it.

Keeping with the Trojans Matt Kalil looked like he's head and shoulders over every other tackle out there. (it is early)

tjsunstein
09-06-2011, 11:25 PM
QB Robert Griffin
QB Danny O'Brien
QB Geno Smith
QB Taylor Martinez
QB Russell Wilson
RB Montee Ball
RB Ray Graham
RB David Wilson
RB Dominique Whaley
RB Lamar Miller
WR Robert Woods
WR Michael Floyd
WR Dwight Jones
WR Keenan Allen
WR Kendall Wright
WR Juron Criner
WR Marvin McNutt
DE David Mackall
DE Shane McClellin
LB Vontaze Burfict
DB Tyrann Mathieu

JHL6719
09-07-2011, 08:44 AM
Vick Ballard
Justin Hunter
Stephen Garcia
Luke Kuechly

Big Bird
09-07-2011, 12:06 PM
I'm going to start watching games I recorded over the weekend now. Starting with UCLA-Houston where Sammy Brown, a player I'm very high on, had 3.5 Tackles For Loss. I can't wait to see this.

gpngc
09-07-2011, 01:07 PM
I feel like Marvin McNutt has been at Iowa for 10 years. Drew Tate anyone?

iowatreat54
09-07-2011, 01:40 PM
I feel like Marvin McNutt has been at Iowa for 10 years. Drew Tate anyone?

Ya, probably because it's his 5th year, 3rd year starting/playing WR, and the fact he switched from QB during his first 2 years. Seriously, you probably can't watch an Iowa game/highlights without them mentioning McNutt played QB for his first 2 years. That's probably why it seems like every year he is there.

Also, he had 140 yards on 6 catches and 2 TDs. One on a perfectly thrown out pattern by Vandenberg 20 yards down field, which he turned, broke a tackle and took 88 yards. Then on a bubble screen, broke a couple tackles to go 19 yards for the score.

McNutt has been the team's best route runner and had the best hands since moving to WR. He may not have blazing speed, but he's huge and catches everything. He needs about 1000 yards and 4 TDs to become Iowa's all time leader in both categories.

CC.SD
09-07-2011, 02:11 PM
Easily Robert Woods

BamaFalcon59
09-07-2011, 03:04 PM
David Wilson <3

DeathbyStat
09-07-2011, 06:46 PM
Robert Griffin~!

Sharany
09-08-2011, 02:05 AM
wow.. it is hard to tell. i said all of them are good.

Big Bird
09-08-2011, 01:36 PM
For some reason, my recording of the UCLA-Houston game ended exactly at halftime. But, I got to see the first half and there was plenty to take away from that.

First of all, Case Keenum did absolutely nothing. He only threw past 10 yards twice, both falling incomplete. Keenum has control of the offense, that quick release, but after that, there isn't much. You can tell the knee injury affected him. He isn't the same athlete (not that he was special before) and looks awkward taking off. He doesn't properly step into his throws either, further hindering his arm strength. He is way too cautious as well. Graham Harrell was a better prospect than Keenum was. Case is a 7th Rounder in my book, and that's only because I think he is a good kid with a good head on his shoulders and could at least not get completely abused if he was a 3rd QB and had to take some snaps. No starting potential. Talking myself even more into thinking he isn't even worth a 7th Round pick...

The Houston Running Backs was a different story than I anticipated. Most know about Bryce Beall, but I didn't see anything special from him. The Houston site says he runs in the 4.5's, and he seems just completely average across the board. Michael Hayes, however, is somebody to watch. He played JUCO with Cam Newton, and played pretty well. He had a solid season last year, as him and Beall basically split the carries. In this game though, Hayes was an animal. A bit undersized, but runs in the 4.4's and he had a very impressive TD run. I didn't even notice it was on the SportsCenter Top 10 until I looked up this clip (http://youtu.be/18odOCToaU4) to show everybody. Very good quickness, nice speed, impressive leg drive, displays very good vision, good feet, and a good receiver. I like this kid as a 3rd day prospect who could sneakily help a team out with a few touches a game. Keep a close eye on this kid.

Patrick Edwards did nothing in the 1st half. He was shadowed by Sheldon Price (whom I'll take about more later), and just couldn't separate. He doesn't belong in the NFL. Undersized and not quick enough. Product of the system.

Tyron Carrier, who is about to become Houston's all-time leader in all-purpose yards, has very impressive quickness. Anyone who has watched him before probably already knows the story. Product of the system while on Offense, excellent return man though. He's very undersized, reminds me a lot of Trindon Holliday. Track guy playing football.

The guy I was really looking forward to watching disappointed, at least in the 1st half. Sammy Brown, Outside Linebacker for Houston, looked good on the first drive, displaying a nice stutter step and a great swim move. He looked skinny though (more like 230, not his listed 240) and was constantly being pushed around on run plays. It looked like he started to give up, and on Jonathan Franklin's TD with 14:30 left in the 2nd, he basically let Franklin get away. Once Franklin got a step on him, he just gave up. Brown displayed poor play recognition as well and was constantly being fooled. He picked it up in the latter part of the half, picking up a big TFL where he came storming down the line to pop Franklin, and followed it up with two more nice plays where he put on a great spin move to slip between two blockers and then the following play, beat the tackle to the edge and was able to reach in and strip Brehaut. This game was mostly negative from my perspective, but did flash his potential and athletic ability, and still warrants a 4th-5th Round grade as of now and I'd peg him as a situational pass rusher. Really needs to pick up the hustle though.

Marcus McGraw of Houston couldn't put anymore effort in if he tried. He let Joseph Fauria get away for an easy score on the goalline, but that was the only time I ever saw him out of position. He is a bit undersized, probably around 5-11, 225-230, but has legit 4.6 speed and is very quick. His instincts are through the roof. McGraw diagnoses plays so well and takes very good angles. Nice wrap-up tackler, solid in coverage. On another catch by Fauria, McGraw stuck with him all the way downfield, but Fauria is 6-8 and it was a jump ball (pretty easy to guess who came down with it). McGraw is just simply all over the field and displays good athletic ability. Clint Session clone. McGraw has also been a captain since he was a Sophomore. Speaks volumes of his leadership. I could see him off the board early in Day 3.

I noticed D.J. Hayden, a Junior Corner for Houston. JUCO transfer, good size at 6-0, 190. They didn't test him much, but his quickness, specifically for his size, really jumps out at you. Willing tackler too as he is the one that knocked Kevin Prince out of the game. He's a kid I'm going to certainly keep an eye on throughout the season.

Onto UCLA now, I guess the first guy to talk about on Offense is Jonathan Franklin. To say he is quick would be an understatement. He displays good vision, nice cutback ability, very good speed, and is a good receiver out of the backfield (numbers don't show it, but he is a natural pass catcher). Obvious flaw on him is size. Other than that, he is a good back, and at least going to be a very good 3rd Down option for a team. May have Jamaal Charles-type potential, but I'm not going to go that far quite yet. Similar to Shane Vereen. He'll be gone by the 3rd Round. Can't teach this type of quickness and natural running ability.

I'm sure everybody saw Nelson Rosario's ridiculous catch from the second half, but he had another nice grab at about 7:54 in the 1st Quarter. One-handed, snagged a poorly thrown ball in on 3rd Down and Long and was almost able to get the 1st down. Later though, he dropped a very easy catch for a 1st down in the 2nd. He's certainly big at 6-5 and has a huge catching radius, and generally displays good hands. He lacks quickness though. More of a WR4 in the NFL and a redzone threat. Lacks the subtlety needed to shake defenders at the line. Like I said before, may have a roster spot in the NFL, but it's only as the 4th WR on a team. Nice college player.

The guy who I thought was by far the best prospect in this game, Tight End Joseph Fauria. I was excited about his potential when he went to Notre Dame, but he didn't play and then was kicked out of school. Some reports say it was for streaking. Whatever it is, he was kicked out, so you have to question his maturity. His uncle is ex-NFL tight end Christian Fauria, and Joseph has a much better skill-set. Listed at 6-8, I'd say at least 6-7, he is simply an animal. He dominated the first half. First catch was on a nice seam route up the middle that set-up the Franklin TD. He gave a nice head fake to the outside and continued up the middle and might have scored himself if he hadn't lost his footing. Later on, he had that play against McGraw I talked up, where he just used his freakish height and vert to go up and take the ball. Fauria's TD came on a Play Action where he slipped out across the line and was wide open. He showed a lot as a blocker too. Very aggressive and even dominant at times. He has the tools to be an excellent all-around Tight End. People need to seriously keep close tabs on him because he is a major talent. Late 1st-2nd Round.

I saw nothing from Kai Maiava that made me think he was draftable. Even had a high snap while in UCLA was in the pistol that killed the first drive of the game. He is off a major ankle injury, was academically ineligible for their 2009 bowl game, transferred from Colorado because he was apparently homesick (from Hawaii), and then to top it all off, he just get suspended for drugs today. I'm not touching this kid with a 10-foot pole, even if his brother (Kaluka) plays in the NFL and his uncle is Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. Major red flags and below average talent. Undersized too.

Datone Jones flashed some nice ability at Defensive End. He certainly has tools and played solid, but certainly wasn't anything special. Only a Junior and with the tools he has, is one to watch.

Sean Westgate is undraftable. Below average talent. Undersized, slow, struggles in space, and I caught him taking a few poor angles. Camp body at best.

Anybody who liked Ras-I Dowling should LOVE Sheldon Price. Tall, aggressive Corner with very good speed and just oozing of athletic ability. I think he is somewhere between Dowling and Antonio Cromartie. He has late 1st Round potential. Flips his hips well. Need to see better hand usage and he has absolutely no interest in stopping the run (another reason he is like Cro), but his coverage skills are very good. He's a Junior so he could declare, specifically if/when Rick Neuheisel gets canned.

I really have no idea how Tony Dye ever ran a 4.36, because he doesn't look like he could crack a 4.5 now. He played primarily in the box and he is a solid player. Finds the ball well, makes proper reads, good tackler. I thought he was a little stiff though and he is strictly a strong safety, maybe even a cover 2 outside linebacker. Struggles a bit to move laterally. He is a good football player with a high football IQ, but is going to be limited at the next level. Should be a solid 4th safety and special teamer.

Punter Jeff Locke has an absolute boot. Only a junior, but is has a great kickoff guy and an excellent punter. Locke will be drafted. He has a special leg.

gpngc
09-08-2011, 02:00 PM
Great write-up. Two things:

1) Please do write-ups for better matchups with teams that actually have pro prospects in the future.

2) Don't just say a guy's name - say his position as well. Is Marcus McGraw a LB or a SS?

Big Bird
09-08-2011, 11:07 PM
Great write-up. Two things:

1) Please do write-ups for better matchups with teams that actually have pro prospects in the future.

2) Don't just say a guy's name - say his position as well. Is Marcus McGraw a LB or a SS?
Sorry, and will be doing.

McGraw is a Linebacker.

I actually work for a school at the FCS level covering the games, so I won't be watching as much games as I use to live, which is going to delay when I can get reports up because I won't be able to watch certain games live and be able to have reports up soon. Week 1, I mainly just relaxed and took in all the games while recording them to re-watch them, hence why week 1 will be delayed. But I will still be recording games on my DVR and re-watching them. UCLA-Houston was just first on my agenda because of my interest in Sammy Brown (who disappointed me).

Would a thread work for these reports? They'll start getting more in-depth and actually have entire games, assuming my DVR decides not to stop recording at halftime like it did with UCLA-Houston...

GaMeTiMe
09-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Would a thread work for these reports? They'll start getting more in-depth and actually have entire games, assuming my DVR decides not to stop recording at halftime like it did with UCLA-Houston...

I'm sure that would be a welcomed addition. Then, you can maybe post thoughts on the fly while watching the game, rather than one huge post for each game where certain points may be missed. Also, if you could come away with a top-3 or top-5 players to watch the rest of the way from each game you've watched, this way we can really zero in on certain guys to keep an eye on in future games (other than just a below-average prospect who may have flashed in a game you watched).

Big Bird
09-09-2011, 12:21 PM
I'm sure that would be a welcomed addition. Then, you can maybe post thoughts on the fly while watching the game, rather than one huge post for each game where certain points may be missed. Also, if you could come away with a top-3 or top-5 players to watch the rest of the way from each game you've watched, this way we can really zero in on certain guys to keep an eye on in future games (other than just a below-average prospect who may have flashed in a game you watched).
Can do.

Thanks for the suggestions!

jerry0503222
09-13-2011, 03:54 AM
wow.. it is hard to tell. i said all of them are good.