PDA

View Full Version : Official 2011 Colts Regular Season Thread

MaxV
09-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Ok, let's get it started.

Looks like Peyton will miss this game.

I hope the rest of the team will step up and pull it off.

GO COLTS!

killxswitch
09-07-2011, 01:19 PM
I doubt they win this one. I hope we can go 2-2 or 2-3 to start and get Manning back.

At least we will see more running plays. Maybe the defense can work on some more aggressive looks and go for broke rather than playing scared with huge coverage cushions. Can't count on 18 winning by himself anymore.

RCAChainGang
09-11-2011, 12:05 AM
I think we will see some good football played on defense in response to Manning's absence. I think they will know they could very well lose by giving up 14 points.

I'm excited to see wether we can run the ball effectively. I won't be able to see the game. One of the negatives for being a freshman in college.

killxswitch
09-11-2011, 01:25 PM
Never seen the Colts play so badly. Defense played hard for the first two minutes then just rolled over. Offense looks completely inept except Wayne, Clark, Addai, and Carter.

falloutboy14
09-11-2011, 01:36 PM
Wayne's not having a bad game, considering what's happening around him.

We'll know more next week when we play the Browns, but got a feeling we might break some records for futility this season.

RCAChainGang
09-11-2011, 11:01 PM
Watching the post-game interviews and it is just pathetic.

Andrew Luck?

killxswitch
09-11-2011, 11:31 PM
Defense: soft, untalented, badly coached
Offense: can't run without Manning, badly coached
Special Teams: garbage, as always

Hard to believe one guy really held this team together. I mean these are 1st teamers on defense. No injury replacements. They looked absolutely pathetic.

RCAChainGang
09-11-2011, 11:36 PM
Defense: soft, untalented, badly coached
Offense: can run without Manning, badly coached
Special Teams: garbage, as always

Hard to believe one guy really held this team together. I mean these are 1st teamers on defense. No injury replacements. They looked absolutely pathetic.

You must spread more rep before giving it to killxswitch again.

falloutboy14
09-12-2011, 01:24 AM
Read somewhere that Polian was at the Stanford game. If there are two positives to come from this season:

1) We got at least a decent shot at Andrew Luck. If Manning is out for the season, we got a shot at winning vs Panthers, Bengals Browns, and maybe a division game. If we lose those games, I don't see us picking up a win elsewhere. Even if we don't get Luck, picking in the top 5 will make for a good rebuilding year.

2) The coaching staff will be exposed for what they are. Without Peyton to cover for them, it won't be long till the team is obviously unprepared & morale will take a hit. Realistically, it's time to clean house with the coaching staff.

MaxV
09-12-2011, 07:29 AM
The positives were the rookies.

Castonzo, Nevis and Carter are keepers.

Ijalana should start instead of Link, there is no doubt about it.

1. They don't have to worry about Manning getting hit from his side.
2. He can't possibly be worse.
3. He'll learn quicker while playing.

killxswitch
09-12-2011, 08:50 AM
The positives were the rookies.

Castonzo, Nevis and Carter are keepers.

Ijalana should start instead of Link, there is no doubt about it.

1. They don't have to worry about Manning getting hit from his side.
2. He can't possibly be worse.
3. He'll learn quicker while playing.

I agree with all of that. Can you imagine the D line if they'd gotten an actual NT to play next to Nevis like I kept saying they needed to do? As is I still expect them to look better than they did vs. Houston.

Castonzo looks like he's going to be good. If he turns out better than Carimi I will gladly eat crow.

I have been high on Carter since day one and I still say he'll get the most carries this year.

I completely agree with you about Ijalana. He can't be that much worse than Link and he has the potential to be much better. Get him in there now, let him make his mistakes and learn, and he'll be that much better when Manning returns.

MaxV
09-13-2011, 07:43 AM
Colts release Jamey Richard and sign Seth Olsen.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2009/profiles/seth-olsen?id=81859

killxswitch
09-13-2011, 10:32 AM
Rearrange those deck chairs!

MaxV
09-19-2011, 10:29 AM
Well another awful performance.

It's difficult to find positives in this situation. Perhaps one positive is the fact that the Front Office is now getting a clear view of this team's genuine problems that were being masked by the past success.

- It all starts with the coaching staff. It's just all around very poor. Clearly, the ability of Peyton to read the opposing defenses made this coaching staff look genius. Unfortunately, I think that Polians are too stubborn and we'll probably see the same staff next season.

- I'm glad that FO is making a commitment to improving the O-Line, but I'm afraid they aren't finished. Castonzo and Reitz are future starters. Ijalana might be also. But Saturday and Diem are finished and Link shouldn't even be a backup. We still need at least 2 more starters for next season.

- Our Secondary is a mess. Bethea is among the best, Powers is a solid #2 CB, Bullitt is a solid backup and Lacey isn't good enough to play in CFL. At what point do they realize that it's wise to give Thomas or Tryon a shot? Clearly, this area needs to be addressed in the off-season.

- We've dealt with the revolving door at OLB for several years now. I do believe that Angerer and Conner could play in the NFL, but I doubt that either will be a Pro-Bowler. I think Brackett has spoiled Colts' fans with his play at MLB over the years. There is no question that he has been a solid player for us for several years, but it looks like his time is coming to an end. I think we could really use a difference-maker at this position.

- I honestly thought that our D-Line would be one of the strengths of the team. Unfortunately, they too have been a disappointment. We've been hoping that Moala would develop into an every-down player, but it doesn't look like the case. I think we have a keeper in Nevis and perhaps he is a future starter, but we could still use a true NT.

- Did I miss something? Oh yeah ... AN EFFIN' BACKUP QB!!!

Clearly, there is A LOT of work to do with this team. I hope the FO recognizes that also and doesn't just blame everything on Peyton's injury.

killxswitch
09-19-2011, 10:47 AM
Max you hit on several things I want to talk about.

- I am no big fan of this coaching staff, but I disagree that it starts there. I think it starts will the front office. Specifically, Bill Polian. It is clear to me that Caldwell is Polian's yes man and has little real decision-making power outside of gameday (which is where he is probably weakest!).

What real coach is going to work for the Colts if he has to ask Polian for permission to implement his defense or change the OL strategy? Can you imagine a guy like Cowher or Fisher asking if it's ok to run the team as he sees fit?

I agree the coaching staff is a problem. I just don't think it is going to change as long as Bill Polian is still in charge.

- I like Castonzo and Reitz a lot. I would like to like Ijalana but the morons coaching that unit don't want to play him. My guess is because starting 2 rookie OTs would look bad and this front office makes decisions based on personal pride, not what is best for the team. Saturday has been over the hill for several seasons so this has to be his last year. Diem's done ok at guard, much better than at tackle. Probably need two starters at those positions, like you said.

- The secondary is really bad. IMO Powers is not living up to his potential. He is the best CB on the team but he is a great CB2 and an average CB1. Lacey should gain 30 lbs and play safety, he has straight line speed and tackling ability but can't cover. I like Bethea, the other 3 spots need upgrading.

- I didn't miss Brackett at all yesterday. I thought Angerer did a better job than GB has in a long time. He's no all-pro but Brackett is done. Time to get rid of that bloated contract and look for at least one impact LB to start. We don't have any.

- The offseason DT situation was so botched I can't stand it. I screamed to anyone that would listen that we needed a good NT to rotate with AJ. We never brought that in, but with some rotation of Harris, Ogbu, Nevis, Mathews, AJ, and Moala, I thought we'd at least see the best group in several seasons. Then the clowns running this team cut Harris, put Ogbu and Mathews on the practice squad, and made Eric Foster a full-time DT. What a freaking joke.

This roster just doesn't have very much talent. The talent it does have is getting old. Which really highlights the terrible drafts of 2007 - 2010.

Until Bill retires this team is going nowhere. Even if Manning were healthy they would struggle to make the playoffs with this roster and coaching staff.

MaxV
09-19-2011, 11:06 AM
Is it Bill or Chris?

The Polians aren't going anywhere, you know that.

It's funny, I'm a fan of the Colts and Penn State and both of them have the same problem. Big-Name fathers pushing their unqualified sons into important positions.

Bill Polian made Chris the Head of all personnel decisions and we have had the worst sequence of drafts ever since.

Joe Paterno made Jay the QB coach and Penn State has been one of the worst passing offenses in college football ever since.

Why couldn't these whiny brats just started their own businesses or something?

killxswitch
09-19-2011, 11:20 AM
If the bad drafts are Chris's fault then sure, get him out of there too. My impression though is that Chris only just got out from his father's shadow long enough to oversee the 2011 draft (which I liked), before Bill took back over and started making bad decisions again. I think Chris has worked for other teams prior to his time with the Colts.

MaxV
09-19-2011, 11:29 AM
Perhaps you're right. I assumed that '09 and '10 drafts were Chris' masterpieces.

I'm not sure who is truely in charge of the drafts. Whoever it was that made decisions of drafting Ugoh, Pollak, Brown and Hughes deserves a drop kick to the teeth.

falloutboy14
09-19-2011, 11:59 AM
I'm pretty sure Chris has followed Bill around since his Carolina days. I'm not aware of him working with a team outside of Bill being in charge.

Chris became GM in November of '09, which would put his first draft as GM being the Brown draft. And as I understood it, this year was his first one in charge.

In the Ugoh draft, I do remember something to the effect of Chris said, "Are you going to make the trade?" to Bill as Ugoh was falling into the middle of the 2nd round. Don't know who graded Ugoh as 1st round worthy, but Bill pulled the trigger.

killxswitch
09-19-2011, 12:18 PM
I don't blame Chris for Brown. Not when Bill had such personal comments like "He reminds me of Thurman Thomas". I'm sure Chris had a hand in the selection process, but it is impossible to know to what extent.

What I do know is that Bill was at one time a good drafter. He has lost it. My hope is that Chris took the good and saw the bad for what it was and has the vision to correct it and be a great GM on his own. That is what I saw in the 2011 draft. Two OTs and a DT in the first 3 rounds to me is not a Bill Polian draft. Of the 5 players taken, 4 look like they will be long-term starters and Rucker is an unknown 6th rounder. Looks like a good draft to me.

MaxV
09-19-2011, 12:27 PM
2011 absolutely looks like a good draft.

You guys might remember me saying before the draft that BP likes to devirsify his drafts and won't spend first 2 rounders on OLs or first 3 picks on 300 lbs players.

This draft certainly went against the trend.

killxswitch
09-19-2011, 12:42 PM
2011 absolutely looks like a good draft.

You guys might remember me saying before the draft that BP likes to devirsify his drafts and won't spend first 2 rounders on OLs or first 3 picks on 300 lbs players.

This draft certainly went against the trend.

I remember because I agreed. That's why I think that was truly Chris's work, not Bill's.

It's also why I think Bill has taken some power back. If Chris were actually the GM and running the day-to-day stuff I think Ijalana (the guy Chris traded up to get) would be starting.

RCAChainGang
09-20-2011, 12:59 AM
I am having trouble finding parts of this team to be proud of. I didn't think that would happen for a long while. At least I still love Collie...

killxswitch
09-20-2011, 09:06 AM
There are a few bright spots.

The left side of the OL looks set. Castonzo and Reitz are only going to get better. If the coaches pull their heads out of... the sand, and start Ijalana instead of Linkenbach, by the end of the year that position might be locked down for several years too. It's a lot easier to protect your banged up 36 year old QB if at least 3 of your OL spots are solid. I don't know if Castonzo and Reitz are just that talented or if the new OL coach is figuring things out.

Addai and Carter have both looked good. As I've been saying, Carter is the future at RB. I also like Evans. All 3 will continue to look improved as the OL improves.

As for the defense, right now I agree there is not much to be proud of. Even our DEs are ineffective except in certain circumstances. It is time to restructure the defensive side of the ball. No I don't mean a 3-4. I mean make logical adjustments. Not all 4-3 schemes have to be cover 2.

MaxV
09-20-2011, 10:04 AM
The reason for opptimism might be an eventual return of Manning and a high draft pick.

Actually I'd like to know what you guys might think of possibly trading the 1st overall pick, if we get it.

It could land us several high picks that we might use to fill our holes.

killxswitch
09-20-2011, 10:40 AM
I've thought about that a lot. It depends on a few factors.

Compensation - If the Colts have the opportunity to draft Luck, it needs to be a massive trade offer. As in we get two 1sts, two 2nds, and two 3rds, or maybe three 1sts and this year's 2nd. And not weak picks either, they need to be top 10 picks in the round.

Available talent - will there be actual impact players available that will make it worth passing on Luck?

Manning's progress - April of next year the team should know if Manning can handle playing again, and to what extent. If his career has been significantly shortened, as in he will only play 2 more years, forget trading. Draft Luck. Franchise QBs are just too valuable.

MaxV
09-21-2011, 03:49 PM
Colts' signed former Raiders' safety Stevie Brown, cut Evans (might be headed to PS).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stevie_Brown

killxswitch
09-21-2011, 05:28 PM
Evans has been added to the PS. I doubt he'll last. He's too good.

Also, Brown was added because Bullitt is hurt. Shocker. Glad we gave him a 3 year contract.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
09-24-2011, 11:27 AM
Looking at the schedule i see 4 wins max and they are all home games. Chiefs, jags, titans and panthers.

MaxV
09-26-2011, 08:22 AM
An ecouraging game.

Who is this Terrence Johnson guy? He played well. He looks better then Lacey.

Nevis, Angerer and Conner played very well on D also.

Good to see Pollak with a nice game. I still think he is more of a OC and I think he should get the first crack at replacing Saturday next season.

Even Link played well, although I'm still not a fan.

killxswitch
09-26-2011, 09:56 AM
Best possible outcome IMO. Some real improvement on D and in the running game, but our draft position is still solid. I really wanted the win yesterday though.

Addai looked great, Carter looked good, and the OL blocked for the run much better than I've seen in a long time. Pollak was impressive. But I've seen him play well and then suck again so I'm not sold on him yet. and I would still rather have Ijalana in there at RT, but Link was also improved. I thought Woodley would destroy him.

Best game from the D line in a long time. Free and Mathis were at their best and they actually got help in the middle from Nevis, Mookie, and even Foster. Anderson had a nice fumble return for a TD and played stout. Still don't see much in Brayton.

Angerer needs to stay the starting MLB. Sorry Gary, thanks for everything, but you're not the best option there anymore. Angerer is mediocre at SLB but looks pretty good in the middle.

Our DBs still aren't playing well. The newbie Johnson does look good but Powers is inconsistent, Lacey is horrible in coverage, we don't have a viable starting SS, and even Bethea made some mistakes.

This will not be popular but I don't think Dallas Clark is that great. I think Tamme's performance last year is proof but so is this year. Clark is healthy and has the same matchups he's always had. But he's invisible. He can't block. He's making Garcon-like drops. And he isn't that fast anymore. Without Manning, he's not very good. I said at the time he got his contract that he was not worth that much cap space. The only year I thought he really earned it was 09. I think one of the newer power forward types at TE would give better production eventually.

I don't think Collins actually got a concussion. I think he sucked and they wanted to try Painter. Painter was a bit of a shot in the arm for the offense but they also just ran more and that helped. When a QB sucks the other guy always looks better, until he sucks too. I don't have any high hopes for Painter, he is still the guy that doesn't sense pressure in the pocket and over or underthrows the ball half the time. But I'm not so sure he's a worse option than Collins.

falloutboy14
09-26-2011, 01:06 PM
I'm not sure how much we can take from the O & D line from this game. Steelers have wins against us & Seattle. So they could be on the way to a 5-11 season. But winning/dominating the run game on both sides hasn't happened in forever even against bad teams. We'll see what they do against the Bucs.

Agree very much on Angerer.

On Clark, his contract numbers for the next two years are $4.5 & $5.3, which aren't that high imo. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing more formations with Eldridge in there. Anyone else catch the replay with him knocking Harrison on his back. Maybe we treat Clark like a slot WR more then a pass catching TE.

Also, wonder what they do at QB if Collins can't start. They're going to have to bring back Orlovsky or something. Caldwell did say that Collins may not start if he is healthy.

killxswitch
09-26-2011, 02:26 PM
$4.5M is a lot when you could pay Tamme less than $1M and get about 90% of the same production with fewer drops.

falloutboy14
09-28-2011, 04:18 PM
Well, Bullit & Bracket are on IR. If this were any other year, I bet we'd let them sit on the roster for a few weeks. Since we have no hope for this year, no harm in putting them on IR & getting young guys playtime. Plus it gives us an early opportunity to poach other teams practice squads.

BTW, seems Bullitt inherited whatever Bob Sanders had. Missed 12 games last year and I think he only got 1-2 games this year. Anyone got any info on Bullitt's contract? Hopefully Lefeged steps up this year.

Also, heard a rumor that Justin Tryon was released, but haven't seen any confirmed source with it.

killxswitch
09-28-2011, 10:23 PM
It's not a rumor. Tryon himself confirmed via Twitter. Look at a couple:

I thank the Colts die hard fans for the love they're showing me! I'M A STARTER yes.. Caldwell wanted to start me but it wasn't up to him!

Now done with that!! I'm def ready for the next chapter in this wonderful story!! IM BLESSED!! lay off of Caldwell he's a great coach! Peace

A few days ago Phil B and the Indy Star asked Coyer why Tryon wasn't starting. Coyer said he likes Tryon and that Phil would have to ask Caldwell why. Now Tryon says that Caldwell himself wanted to start him, but it wasn't even Caldwell's call.

I am really frustrated with the Colts. I love the players and they will always be my team. But I don't trust the front office anymore. I don't think they have a plan for the future. I hate the roster moves and I can't even stand the sound of Bill Polian's voice on the radio. I literally could not listen to his radio show earlier this week. He was once a great GM. Just like Michael Jordan was once a great basketball player, Brett Favre was once a great quarterback, and etc. But everyone eventually stops being great at what they do. Some, like John Elway or Tarik Glenn, retire before the decline really sets in. For Polian though the decline set in when Dungy left.

I look at this roster and the direction (if you can call it that) and I see very little that is positive. The front office dicked around with Bob at SS way too long, then when they finally cut him, they replace him with a guy with a known chronic shoulder injury and less than half the talent. In the offseason they cut several players that were superior to some that they kept. They ran off the two best coaches on the team, both of whom found jobs with other teams despite the spin (really let's just call them lies because that's what they are) put out by the team that they were retiring. This is all just recent, I could go back and talk about the failed draft picks (many of whom are still on the team!) or the release of Lilja, picking Lilja over Scott, signing Hayden to a ridiculous contract and then cutting him even though it only saved $1 million (in a year when we are already hurting for DB talent).

Now, most recently, they've released the 2nd best CB on the team while keeping the worst CB on the roster in a starting position. In the process we've learned that neither the defensive coordinator nor the head coach himself is allowed to start the players he wants to start. The head coach cannot make lineup decisions.

This is the crux of the problem. Bill Polian has lost it, but no one is stopping him. His son can't do anything and Jim Irsay won't do anything. The man is running this team into the ground. Bad drafts, bad personnel moves, bad explanations (or just no explanations), excuse-making. That is what this front office has come to. And Irsay is either too lost in a haze of drugs and tweets to notice, or is too scared to take a risk and show BP the door.

As I've been saying for weeks, Caldwell is not the problem, he is a symptom. He is Polian's puppet. Polian is the problem. Until he goes, this team is going nowhere and Manning's final years will be wasted. If Polian stays in charge Manning may as well retire.

I cannot believe, after all the improvements Irsay made when his dad left him the team, that he has allowed the Colts to degrade in this way.

MaxV
09-30-2011, 08:33 AM
Colts sign SS Jermale Hines.

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=68999&draftyear=2011&genpos=SS

Sloopy
09-30-2011, 11:03 AM
It's not a rumor. Tryon himself confirmed via Twitter. Look at a couple:

A few days ago Phil B and the Indy Star asked Coyer why Tryon wasn't starting. Coyer said he likes Tryon and that Phil would have to ask Caldwell why. Now Tryon says that Caldwell himself wanted to start him, but it wasn't even Caldwell's call.

I am really frustrated with the Colts. I love the players and they will always be my team. But I don't trust the front office anymore. I don't think they have a plan for the future. I hate the roster moves and I can't even stand the sound of Bill Polian's voice on the radio. I literally could not listen to his radio show earlier this week. He was once a great GM. Just like Michael Jordan was once a great basketball player, Brett Favre was once a great quarterback, and etc. But everyone eventually stops being great at what they do. Some, like John Elway or Tarik Glenn, retire before the decline really sets in. For Polian though the decline set in when Dungy left.

I look at this roster and the direction (if you can call it that) and I see very little that is positive. The front office dicked around with Bob at SS way too long, then when they finally cut him, they replace him with a guy with a known chronic shoulder injury and less than half the talent. In the offseason they cut several players that were superior to some that they kept. They ran off the two best coaches on the team, both of whom found jobs with other teams despite the spin (really let's just call them lies because that's what they are) put out by the team that they were retiring. This is all just recent, I could go back and talk about the failed draft picks (many of whom are still on the team!) or the release of Lilja, picking Lilja over Scott, signing Hayden to a ridiculous contract and then cutting him even though it only saved $1 million (in a year when we are already hurting for DB talent).

Now, most recently, they've released the 2nd best CB on the team while keeping the worst CB on the roster in a starting position. In the process we've learned that neither the defensive coordinator nor the head coach himself is allowed to start the players he wants to start. The head coach cannot make lineup decisions.

This is the crux of the problem. Bill Polian has lost it, but no one is stopping him. His son can't do anything and Jim Irsay won't do anything. The man is running this team into the ground. Bad drafts, bad personnel moves, bad explanations (or just no explanations), excuse-making. That is what this front office has come to. And Irsay is either too lost in a haze of drugs and tweets to notice, or is too scared to take a risk and show BP the door.

As I've been saying for weeks, Caldwell is not the problem, he is a symptom. He is Polian's puppet. Polian is the problem. Until he goes, this team is going nowhere and Manning's final years will be wasted. If Polian stays in charge Manning may as well retire.

I cannot believe, after all the improvements Irsay made when his dad left him the team, that he has allowed the Colts to degrade in this way.

I wish I could give you more rep right now, these are my sentiments exactly.

It is amazing how long BP has ridden the coat-tails of Manning. A supposed draft guru yet in recent years our draft day decisions have left me scratching my head.

I came to this team as a Manning fan after my beloved Browns moved to Baltimore, however with the recent circus that is the Colts, I am left in doubt...

killxswitch
09-30-2011, 11:42 AM
I will always be a Colts fan. I've been in Indy since I was 5 and got hooked on them in '95, the year Harbaugh nearly willed them to the Super Bowl. I'm lucky, I've only had to endure a few years of really bad football as a fan.

For me though it is not the losing. If the team was playing hard, making the right moves, doing all it could to win and still coming up short, that's one thing. Hard to watch, but still not that hard to keep rooting for them.

What is hard is not being able to trust the people running my favorite team anymore. It is hard to see hope even for when Manning comes back. I am concerned everything will go back to almost how it was, with PM covering up weaknesses and making the team mostly successful until the post-season. Only a few more years of that though, and then the team is screwed when PM retires.

If someone smart were running the team they would use this year as a way to revamp the team, go in some new directions, and give Manning an Elway-like final 3 years where he doesn't have to win every game. The problem is, I am not convinced Bill Polian is capable of doing that. And no one is stepping in to do the job.

Sloopy
09-30-2011, 11:58 AM
I will always be a Colts fan. I've been in Indy since I was 5 and got hooked on them in '95, the year Harbaugh nearly willed them to the Super Bowl. I'm lucky, I've only had to endure a few years of really bad football as a fan.

For me though it is not the losing. If the team was playing hard, making the right moves, doing all it could to win and still coming up short, that's one thing. Hard to watch, but still not that hard to keep rooting for them.

What is hard is not being able to trust the people running my favorite team anymore. It is hard to see hope even for when Manning comes back. I am concerned everything will go back to almost how it was, with PM covering up weaknesses and making the team mostly successful until the post-season. Only a few more years of that though, and then the team is screwed when PM retires.

If someone smart were running the team they would use this year as a way to revamp the team, go in some new directions, and give Manning an Elway-like final 3 years where he doesn't have to win every game. The problem is, I am not convinced Bill Polian is capable of doing that. And no one is stepping in to do the job.

I think that it is indicative of how the team is run when 1 player going down causes them to go from playoff team/superbowl contenders to possible first round draft pick. Hell when TB went down the pats still won 11 games...

Now imagine if a real team had been put around manning all this time? How many more SB's would there be? How many records could PM have SHATTERED?

killxswitch
09-30-2011, 01:30 PM
I think that it is indicative of how the team is run when 1 player going down causes them to go from playoff team/superbowl contenders to possible first round draft pick. Hell when TB went down the pats still won 11 games...

Now imagine if a real team had been put around manning all this time? How many more SB's would there be? How many records could PM have SHATTERED?

I've had the same thoughts. It's frustrating but honestly I am pretty burned out on the Colts right now. Just kind of feeling numb to it.

falloutboy14
09-30-2011, 01:34 PM
The way I see it, having Manning has prevented us from picking top 5-10 the last few years. Picking so late in rounds has prevented us from getting the same quality of young talent that other teams who occasionally pick early can get. You simply can't get the same quality of player at 25 as you can from the top-10. I realize that with good drafting, you can build your team from any draft position, but it's a disadvantage we've been bearing for over a decade.

MaxV
09-30-2011, 01:43 PM
Well, I don't think we are THAT far from having an excellent all-around team (assuming Peyton comes back 100% of course), but we do need another impact player on defense.

That's what Bob Sanders did for us when he was healthy. He covered up weaknesses.

That's what I really want if we get a top 5 pick. Unfortunately, although this class has solid depth, there really isn't an elite defensive prospect there.

MaxV
09-30-2011, 01:50 PM
As a matter of fact, with an exception of Luck, I really don't see another prospect that I would be ultra excited to get with a top 5 pick.

killxswitch
09-30-2011, 01:52 PM
Well, I don't think we are THAT far from having an excellent all-around team (assuming Peyton comes back 100% of course), but we do need another impact player on defense.

That's what Bob Sanders did for us when he was healthy. He covered up weaknesses.

That's what I really want if we get a top 5 pick. Unfortunately, although this class has solid depth, there really isn't an elite defensive prospect there.

I agree. If we can't get Luck, and if neither Barkley nor Jones proves worth a top 5 pick, I'm guessing they'll take a WR (Jeffrey or Blackmon) or trade down. I don't think Coples is good enough to warrant that high of a pick, we don't really need Kalil, and I just can't see the team using a top 5 pick on a corner like Jenkins (and I'm not sure he's worth it anyway).

Top end talent at positions of need seems low this year. But, things can change a lot between now and April.

MaxV
09-30-2011, 01:56 PM
Trent Richardson intruiges me, but he is no Adrian Peterson.

Sloopy
09-30-2011, 02:11 PM
Trent Richardson intruiges me, but he is no Adrian Peterson.

Not commenting on Trent as a prospect or how good he will be but if we spend another 1st round pick on a running back please immediately call 911 and alert them that a man is in dire risk of bleeding out as I will have to take a razor blade to my wrist

Sloopy
09-30-2011, 02:15 PM
I agree. If we can't get Luck, and if neither Barkley nor Jones proves worth a top 5 pick, I'm guessing they'll take a WR (Jeffrey or Blackmon) or trade down. I don't think Coples is good enough to warrant that high of a pick, we don't really need Kalil, and I just can't see the team using a top 5 pick on a corner like Jenkins (and I'm not sure he's worth it anyway).

Top end talent at positions of need seems low this year. But, things can change a lot between now and April.

A top WR would help. As much as it would pain me to trade down we could always get a guy like Kuechly in the bottom of the first and maybe pick up some more picks in the draft to start working on our team. He's not my favorite LB prospect (taze) and he certainly wont bring the lumber like Sanders did (taze) or rip anyones head off (taze) but I believe he would be a good fit in our system (not taze :[ )

From there we might be able to pick up some other premium picks, especially if we can sell the rights to Luck, and start the rebuilding process... Then again I don't really trust the organization to make any smart choices

The way I see it, having Manning has prevented us from picking top 5-10 the last few years. Picking so late in rounds has prevented us from getting the same quality of young talent that other teams who occasionally pick early can get. You simply can't get the same quality of player at 25 as you can from the top-10. I realize that with good drafting, you can build your team from any draft position, but it's a disadvantage we've been bearing for over a decade.

The MAGNIFICENT BILL POLIAN should be able to build teams with low round picks and UDFAS *weeps with sarcasm*

MaxV
10-03-2011, 09:05 PM
Donald Brown is beyond useless.

Not only does he suck at running the ball, he also can't recognize the blitz. I was hoping he could be salvaged into a 3rd down back, but he isn't good in that role either.

killxswitch
10-03-2011, 10:32 PM
Nope he's a waste of a roster spot. Darren Evans should be promoted and they should cut Brown.

MaxV
10-03-2011, 10:38 PM
Killxswitch, I have A LOT of thoughts about this game. I know you do too (when don't you?).

killxswitch
10-03-2011, 10:57 PM
Max the best thing I can say is we are still in good position to get Luck. This defense is destroyed. Like, ALL our good big guys got hurt tonight!! On offense too!

RCAChainGang
10-03-2011, 11:17 PM
Well this sucks.

MaxV
10-03-2011, 11:21 PM
Rant away, my friends. I'll save my thoughts for tomorrow.

killxswitch
10-03-2011, 11:30 PM
I am mostly upset about the injuries we sustained.

I am pissed thinking about the DT depth that Polian cut. Tommie Harris and Rico Mathews would've been nice to have tonight.

Pollak went back to sucking. So did Linkenbach. Rietz looked stupid blocking the Bucs DTs. Ijalana was mediocre on the left side, but of course then he got hurt.

If Castonzo, Ijalana, Nevis, Foster all miss significant time then Suck for Luck will not even be a choice. It's just what will happen because we have nobody left to play the big boy spots. Jamal Anderson and Tyler Brayton were our DTs to end the game. Ugh.

The guys played hard. Again I am unimpressed with the coaching though. Bad offensive play calls. No defensive adjustments to cover the easy pass over the middle. Seriously, how many times did Freeman throw for 5-10 yards right in the middle with Angerer dropping back 30 yards in coverage? ADJUST!

Philliez01
10-03-2011, 11:38 PM
I like how the team plays. They aren't trying to lose but to be aware of a cliche, they did play their hearts out. I like that.

However, the coaches seem to only know how to coach one way and are just not even capable of adjusting to the smallest things.

Borderline frustrating. I can deal with bad players because **** (Manning's injury) happens but bad coaching is ridiculous.

falloutboy14
10-04-2011, 03:28 AM
Warning, I'm in a ranting mood:

Was nice to see the fire from Foster as he left the field. Guess that's the intensity one needs to play DT at his size. Hopefully he'll be ready to go next year.

I didn't even notice the Nevis injury, any premature estimates on that time-line? No clue how severe it was or even what happened. And wow, our DT rotation just got destroyed. Just googled it, and Mathews isn't on a roster, bet he'll get a call. Maybe we can release Brown to free up the roster spot. Feels like 2007 when we lost Simon, McFarland & Pitcock in like a week. Maybe we can put Keyunta Dawson into the NT rotation.

Our secondary looked like ... (is swearing allowed on this board)? On that TD that got called back (cause the guy stepped out of bounds) that was horrid tackling. I think every defender had a chance (Bethea included) and a fluke step saved us. Not sure who 23 & 30 are, but there's no need for them to be on the field. Just play with 9 on defense. Remember when we used to have Tryon on the roster? Also is Angerer a safety now?

The Bucs played like crap for the first 3 quarters, and if not for 2 lucky plays from Garcon we're getting blown out. BTW, if Garcon shows he can catch with some reliability, he might be in the $5-6m a year range in his next contract. Garcon giveth & Garcon taketh away.

Also, Diem inactive so practice squad guy can be active? C'mon Polian. You're putting me in a position to reflect on Diem favorably. That shouldn't happen.

It's a shame we didn't run the ball more. 18 carries for 62 yards is 3.5 yards a carry. After Ijalana got injured, no excuse not to bring Eldredge & Gronkowski in and pound the football. In the second half, we had 20 passing plays, 4 rushing. 3 of those 20 passing plays were sacks. So we took a sack on 15% of our dropbacks.

Also, I realize teams get injuries, and they're inevitable. That said, we seem t get more then our fair share. Is there an institutional process that the Colts don't do? Or are we just sullied with 3-4 injury ridden guys (Marlin, Bob, Bullitt) Last year Hayden & Powers ended on IR. Did the cover-2 wear on them?

Also, maybe we could blitz when Freeney/Mathis aren't in. And stop stunting them around the O-line when they are in. Remember when we played Wheeler at D-line during the preseason? What happened to that. Oh, and welcome to the world of being a productive football player Jerry Hughes. Sadly due to a penalty, you weren't awarded with a sack. Maybe next year.

With the year going as it is, I'm fully behind the suck for luck movement. It would be nice if we could either show progress to build upon for next year with the O-line/running game/defense. Or to fail so horribly as to cause a significant portion of our coaching staff and front office *cough* *cough* Bill to be re-evaluated. Maybe we'll be able to do both.

Aside from Chris Polian, who do people have any shred of confidence in? I think John Teerlinck is the only coach I have any respect for. Clyde Christenson & Ron Turner? I reminisce for the days where we complained about Ron Meeks & that ST coach I can't remember.

MaxV
10-04-2011, 07:50 AM
I knew I shouldn't have waited to make this post. You guys pretty much covered what I wanted to say.

- Coaching ... you know it's a problem when EVERYONE, that is watching the game, knows exactly what will happen on the next play. Freeman will drop back, Angerer will drop 50 yards, wide open WR in the middle, First Down. At what point do you realize that what you are doing isn't working?

- After solid efforts last week, Linkenbach and Pollak are back to their usual selves.

- Reitz didn't have a good game, but he is still clearly the best interior OL on the team.

- I thought Ijalana actually played ok at LT until the injury. I hope he isn't out for long. Same with Castonzo.

- Speedy recovery to Foster. He gets treated unfairly by Colts' fans sometimes. No, he isn't the most talented DT, but you gotta admire his determination.

- Hopefully Nevis isn't out for long. He played well.

- I know he was under pressure often, but Painter missed wide open WRs several times yesterday. Face it guys, no matter who it is, we have the worst starting QB in NFL.

- First rounder or not, it's time for Polian to admit, Donald Brown is completely useless.

MaxV
10-05-2011, 04:15 PM
Foster and Ijalana are out for the rest of the season. Also Triplett was released.

In their place Colts bring Rico Mathews, Michael Toudouze and a new name OG Quinn Ojinnaka.

http://www.indystar.com/article/20111005/SPORTS03/111005007/Colts-DT-Eric-Foster-OT-Ben-Ijalana-out-rest-season

MaxV
10-05-2011, 04:21 PM
Also Castonzo will probably miss next week's game.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/15691363

Tamba Hali will have 3+ sacks.

killxswitch
10-06-2011, 08:26 AM
Also Castonzo will probably miss next week's game.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/15691363

Tamba Hali will have 3+ sacks.

I thought the same about Woodley. However the line appears significantly worse-off than it was just two weeks ago.

With all these injuries it kind of takes the sting out of Manning not being here. I'd hate to see the hits he'd take this week behind this line.

vidae
10-10-2011, 12:08 AM
Good game guys. Good luck (or bad luck?) the rest of the way.

Look at the bright side.. Peyton will be replaced by the next Peyton. It's almost unfair. :)

falloutboy14
10-10-2011, 01:19 AM
Hopefully we'll end up with Luck, not getting my hopes up till we get a lot closer. That said, perhaps this organization just needs a season where it gets a kick in the pants repeatedly. I hate to watch it and feel for the players, but continuing with Caldwell is unsustainable. Peyton has covered the weaknesses in this organization since Dungy left. Hopefully the axe will fall swiftly and often in our front office/coaching staff. I think it'd be a challenge to find a weaker coaching staff since the afl merger. I'm ok with Bill remaining as long as 1) the coaching staff is replaced with qualified coaches & 2) he continues/maintains a back-seat role in draft/personnel decisions

Looking at the team now, I'm amazed we went to the super bowl a few years back, with more or less the same guys.

killxswitch
10-10-2011, 09:32 AM
I don't see how a real coach would ever come here. He won't want to answer to Bill Polian. Getting rid of Caldwell and Coyer and Christiansen is the right idea but if they're just replaced with more yes-men it's not going to help.

MaxV
10-10-2011, 10:55 AM
Damn, another winnable game down the drain. I REALLY hope we won't go 0-16. The rest of the schedule looks very tough. Only home games vs. Jags and Panthers are realistic possibilities.

I didn't see the whole game, what did you guys think about individual players? I've read the new OT played well. But Reitz didn't play well for the 2nd week in a row.

Honestly, this team still has several needs. Secondary, OL, OLB and NT.

killxswitch
10-10-2011, 01:15 PM
Ojinaka (sp?) did look solid. Not just for a new player, he looked like he knew how to block. Better than Link, better than Diem last two years. It was just one game so who knows. But the first try was a good one. No, Reitz didn't look great. But overall the OL looked better than I expected. I don't think Reitz really has a future as a starter.

I don't see the Carolina game as winnable. Cam Newton and Steve Smith will carve up our pathetic DBs. Williams and Stewart will pound our midget defense and keep the ball away from the offense in the 2nd half. There is no win there.

Yes, there are lots of needs. How about a TE that can catch the ****ing ball?

RCAChainGang
10-11-2011, 01:44 AM
I wasn't able to see the game. Such a bummer cause I am actually interested to see how well Curtis Painter is going to do this season. He doesn't look completely useless, but then again it was KC. Maybe if he takes off some more we could trade him for a late late pick. Is that possible?

Also, Pierre Garcon. I started him on my fantasy team. What happened. Are the stats lying or can he be a legitimate #1? Was it the fact that Reggie was covered? This is why I hate missing games.

I'm touring around with this choir to different churches so I will most likely miss almost every game this year. I wish I could contribute to the conversation.

killxswitch
10-11-2011, 08:47 AM
RCA, Garcon and Painter both had a great first half. Some really well-thrown passes deep that Garcon caught and ran with. The Chiefs made adjustments, especially on offense, and hogged the ball the entire 2nd half. The Colts offense couldn't get going and didn't get enough possessions. The defense is beat up and worn down and couldn't deal with 4 quarters of football.

falloutboy14
10-11-2011, 10:02 AM
I was actually thinking to myself, maybe we don't take a QB in the first round (assuming Peyton has 2-3 years left) and see where Painter is in 3 years. As in maybe he can be our starter with a few more years of preparation. Then I remembered it was KC and a number of other things. As of now, I'm content to have him as our backup QB. We didn't lose because Painter played poorly. He put the rest of the team in a position to win, which is exactly what you ask a backup QB to do. If Clark catches the ball & we had our full compliment of DTs, we don't leave Bowe and Lacey alone together the entire game (things normal teams do) we win that game.

Everything we know about contract years is happening to Garcon. He'll have an interesting off-season. Garcon's stats are better then Wayne's due to the long TD play. That was actually a good pump-fake/looking at another receiver.

I think Garcon is playing well because at any point he can break a tackle and take it to the house. With Manning out, sustaining drives is more difficult, so we're swinging for the fences so to speak. Aside from the first TD against the Chiefs, the rest of our TDs the last two games have come from Garcon directly or Garcon making a long play to get us in scoring position.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
10-13-2011, 02:10 PM
Angerer and Connor are 1-2 in the league for tackles. I dont know how to feel about this.

MaxV
10-13-2011, 02:26 PM
Angerer has played well. He definitely looks more comfortable in the middle.

Conner has made a lot of his tackles after 10+ yard gains.

killxswitch
10-14-2011, 08:24 AM
Also take tackle stats with a grain of salt. They are turned in to the league by the team.

RCAChainGang
10-16-2011, 11:58 AM
I'm really struggling to hope for a win. I almost just wanna see us tank. Anyone feel the same way? I'm divided amongst myself.

killxswitch
10-16-2011, 12:17 PM
Against Cincy (which at one point looked like one of the few winnable games) I doubt they have to try to tank. They will just not be good enough.

I've said this before I think but Monday-Saturday I am fine with losing, and even might want them to lose so we can get Luck. But watching on Sunday I just want to win.

Have you guys heard that the Colts are trying to trade Hughes? ESPN seems to think so. http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7110891/denver-broncos-gauging-interest-eddie-royal-sources-say

MaxV
10-16-2011, 08:46 PM
I want a first overall pick, but not at 0-16.

We GOTTA get one.

We've already blew several games.

killxswitch
10-16-2011, 11:15 PM
I want Miami to win one first. It for sure wont be next week.

falloutboy14
10-16-2011, 11:53 PM
Yeah, getting the first pick trumps just about everything.

FYI, Miami still has Denver, KC, & Oakland (they just lost Campbell so who knows).

Haven't actually watched a Miami game yet so now sure how bad they are. I've got a sinking feeling that we're good enough to win 2-3 games this year.

killxswitch
10-17-2011, 08:54 AM
Yeah, getting the first pick trumps just about everything.

FYI, Miami still has Denver, KC, & Oakland (they just lost Campbell so who knows).

Haven't actually watched a Miami game yet so now sure how bad they are. I've got a sinking feeling that we're good enough to win 2-3 games this year.

I'm just glad that Tennessee and Houston are probably going to have to keep playing even at the end of the season to fight for the division. No gimme wins for the Colts because they're resting starters.

I don't really see a winnable game on the schedule. The Browns, Chiefs, and Bengals were supposed to be the winnable games. I guess Jacksonville playing here in Indy is the best shot at a win.

The good news is, even if both teams go 0-16, the Colts have an easier schedule which means we win the tiebreaker.

I can't believe we're talking about this ****.

falloutboy14
10-17-2011, 09:30 AM
The way I see it, we've been close in all of these games. And any given sunday the string of mistakes that cause us to lose games might reverse. If we were getting blown out like KC was early in the season, I'd be more willing to declare victory.
I had assumed we'd get a win vs Jacksonville, but I guess I haven't watched one of their games yet either. Though Jacksonville does have a tendency to beat us in close games. Maybe that'll hold true.

killxswitch
10-17-2011, 10:03 AM
The way I see it, we've been close in all of these games. And any given sunday the string of mistakes that cause us to lose games might reverse. If we were getting blown out like KC was early in the season, I'd be more willing to declare victory.
I had assumed we'd get a win vs Jacksonville, but I guess I haven't watched one of their games yet either. Though Jacksonville does have a tendency to beat us in close games. Maybe that'll hold true.

We'll lose on a 60 yard FG from Scobee.

falloutboy14
10-17-2011, 11:39 AM
With Caldwell calling the timeout with 5 seconds left. So we'd have a chance to block the field-goal and return it for a TD.

MaxV
10-23-2011, 10:05 PM
Wow, this is really embarassing.

falloutboy14
10-23-2011, 10:27 PM
I stopped watching at half-time. Then looked online and we were down 62-7. Hopefully everyone just gave up when it was 14-0. I'd hate to think that on our best day we're 50 points worse then the Saints.

killxswitch
10-24-2011, 12:34 AM
Time for change. There's no shining this turd. 62-7. That is just ******* embarrassing. Worst game I've ever watched. And I've watched some really, really bad 90s Colts games.

Ok, here are the guys you keep.

Manning.
Addai
Carter
Garcon
Collie
Tamme
Castonzo
Reitz
Ijalana
Ojinnaka

Nevis
Freeney
Mathis
Anderson
Angerer
Bethea
Powers

The rest, **** em. They suck. The coaching staff isn't getting the best from them because they suck too, but even the best from these clowns is still garbage. The secondary, the DTs, the LBs, the OL (******* Mike Pollak, **** you Pollak, you too Linkenbach)

Fire the whole coaching staff. Nobody survives a winless season, especially one that includes a 62-7 loss. No more Caldwell or Coyer or Christiansen or Teerlinck. No more position coaches.

No more Bill Polian. This roster is your responsibility. This coaching staff, this team, this franchise. It's all on you and uou ****** it up worse than anybody Bill. You've driven my team into the ground Bill. You need to gtfo of the front office. Retire, get fired, whatever. Get out. The game has passed you by and the Colts are a laughing stock again. Manning would not have helped. This team is too terrible. **** you Bill. You ruined my team.

MaxV
10-24-2011, 07:33 AM
I'm not sure Ojinnaka, Reitz and Anderson are worth keeping.

And you prefer to keep Garcon over Wayne?

killxswitch
10-24-2011, 09:24 AM
Ojinnaka stepped in off the street and with almost no preparation has played RT better than anyone else has this year (Linkenbach, Diem, Tepper, Ijalana). He is a good enough starter and can be a depth guy for the future. I like him. His listed weight is 295. My ass.

Reitz looks raw but when Castonzo was playing next to him he looked good. I think he'll be a fine depth guy and maybe a solid starter. He is cheap.

Anderson is (or rather, was) playing the Raheem Brock role better than Brock. With good (or even average, which would be 10x better than what we have) coaching he'd be a good rotational player for cheap.

Garcon has stepped up this year and played hard. He's 25 and on pace for over 1000 yards and 10 TDs this season, with Curtis Painter throwing the ball. Imagine what he'd be doing with Manning throwing the ball. I think he'd be a top 6 or 7 receiver this year. He makes some dumb mistakes but look at Reggie. Same number of receptions (30), 426 yards, 1 TD. He's 32 and will want to get paid. This team has too many holes on the roster to pay a short, slow 32 year old possession receiver big money. I love Reggie but this team can't afford to be sentimental anymore. No more Hayden/Brackett type contracts that rewards vets for past performance.

MaxV
10-25-2011, 03:21 PM
And this is a terrible year to suck also. It's really a mediocre draft after Luck.

I might even say that the top 3 players on my personal board are all QBs (Luck, Barkley and Jones).

- I love how hard Ruchardson runs, but I'm not sure he is explosive enough to be a top 5 pick. Plus these types of runners don't last long.

- Kalil and Martin both seem more like future solid starters at OT rather then future Pro-Bowlers you expect out of a top 5 pick.

- Couples is an interesting talent, but he isn't dominant enough to be a "can't miss".

- There are some very talented CBs in this draft and it is a need for us but, in our system, picking a CB in the top of the draft is a COMPLETE waste.

- Jeffery and Blackmon are interesting WR prospects and that could become a need, but I don't know if I would call them "can't miss" either.

I think it would be great if we could trade down, get a nice collection of picks and draft Vontaze Burfict or Dontari Poe, both of whom would be big difference makers for our Ds.

killxswitch
10-26-2011, 08:26 AM
I agree this is not a great draft for top 10 picks. I think Kalil will be a good player so if the team is forced to just draft him at like #3 I won't be too upset. That would give us a starting OL of Kalil and Castonzo on the edges and Ijalana at the guard spot. Pretty good OL for the future.

I'd also be ok with one of the other top QBs though it would be pretty disappointing to not get Luck. No RBs, no Coples (he's so overrated IMO), definitely no Jeffrey.

If we could trade down farther for multiple picks it'd be nice to get one of the big DTs (Poe, Ta'amu, Thompson), a SS (Mark Barron?), etc.

Ugh there are just so many holes on this roster. One draft is not going to do it.

Sloopy
10-26-2011, 07:01 PM
Do you think that Burfict would be a good fit in our system? I mean Burfict is my man crush in this draft but I think a guy like Kuechly would be a better fit and we could get him later in the round. We might even be able to trade down twice and still get him and get a lot of late round picks.(and maybe another slew for next year... we'll need em).

As you say, this doesn't seem like a stellar draft for top picks. If we don't get Luck, I'd like to see us stockpile some picks too help in the rebuilding process this year and next year.

MaxV
10-26-2011, 07:09 PM
I love Burfict. I do think he would make a difference.

Among the top, non-QB prospects in this draft that I have the biggest man-crush on is Richardson. He reminds me a lot of what healthy Steven Jackson was. He is a very good RB prospect. But again, guys with his running style don't last long.

MaxV
10-26-2011, 07:11 PM
Regarding Kalil, well, if he can be the next Joe Thomas then I would love to get him, but I don't see it.

Sloopy
10-26-2011, 10:10 PM
I love Burfict. I do think he would make a difference.

Among the top, non-QB prospects in this draft that I have the biggest man-crush on is Richardson. He reminds me a lot of what healthy Steven Jackson was. He is a very good RB prospect. But again, guys with his running style don't last long.

I know but I've said it time and again, we've already invested two 1st round draft picks into the RB position recently and while it certainly hasn't been addressed, maybe its time to spend some love on other positions before we try to go back to the well for RB, or at the very least not a first rounder, I mean guys like Rice, MJD, and Arian foster recently have been available in later rounds (arian foster UDFA, Polians supposed strong suite...).

Again I love Burfict and he is definitely a difference maker, I just don't see him in a Tampa 2, more a Thumper in an odd front or at the very least not a guy who has to back peddle into a deep zone.

killxswitch
10-26-2011, 11:42 PM
I like Carter a lot, I don't think spending a 1st rounder on a RB is a good idea at all. Actually I think I'd lose my mind a little if they picked a RB in the 1st.

RCAChainGang
10-27-2011, 01:18 AM
Just address the offensive and defensive line. For pete's sake. I'm tired of watching us get pushed around.

Also I want to see a safety get selected.

Sloopy
10-28-2011, 12:33 PM
i agree with u about adressing the line. however, as stated, i dont see any cant miss prospects at tackle and there are no gaurds/centers worth taking in round one. the same is true about the safeties in this draft.

overall its a pretty weak class in general.

Sloopy
10-28-2011, 01:01 PM
I stand corrected. Decastro of stanford is eligable for the draft this year and would be a solid gaurd for us.

However, I would prefer a left tackle so we could kick Castonzo to the right side and slide Ijalana inside to gaurd. unfortunatly as i stated, noone seems to be a cant miss prospect at the position.

I would like to however give a bump to my boy Michael Brewster (center). I doubt he ends up going in the first but he is definitely a guy who should be on our radar. Solid all around guy in the pivot with tons of experience against top competition (4 year starter in the big ten). Has been overpowering in what has been a disappointing season to say the least. Neutralized the likes of Jarred Crick and Jerel Worthy (both should go in the first round this year) as well as a solid pro prospect in Miami's Marcus Foston.

I don't know about anyone else but I'm getting pretty sick of watching Saturday getting blown up on game day and Brewster would be an awesome replacement.

Sloopy
10-30-2011, 11:12 PM
I don't even know what to say after these games anymore...

killxswitch
10-31-2011, 10:52 AM
I don't even know what to say after these games anymore...

I was actually going to post something similar. I'm not even upset anymore. I feel kind of numb to football this season.

I think the worst part is that I have zero faith in the front office to make the right moves to fix everything.

MaxV
10-31-2011, 10:55 AM
Perhaps a good news is that Rams won. Dolphins should, perhaps, hold on to one of these leads.

Just one team that looks completely hopeless out there. :)

killxswitch
10-31-2011, 11:00 AM
Even then, what about the rest of the team? What about the completely directionless defense? Andrew Luck would of course be a great pick but it's going to take more than him, or Manning returning, to make this team the best it can be.

MaxV
10-31-2011, 11:06 AM
BTW, regarding Luck, I have a very bad feeling that his camp is going to demand a trade if we get the 1st overall.

I mean, Colts might actually be the worst case scenario for him.

Too bad we didn't try to get "Captain Comeback" as our coach.

killxswitch
10-31-2011, 11:10 AM
I have the same concern. If Manning is healthy, he'd have to sit. If he's not, then this front office is still not looking like the most competent bunch of people to ever run a football team.

RagingColt
10-31-2011, 12:49 PM
For the first time in a dozen years, I intentionally skipped watching the Colts play at noon on Sunday. When I finally turned it on it was late in the 4th quarter and they failed on 4th down with a pass to Clark. The entire coaching staff are lame ducks. John Teerlinck might be the only one worthy of keeping a spot. I think without ditching everyone named Polian, the entire makeup of the team will continue to flounder. Our special teams have sucked the entire time Polian has been here. Peyton covered up nearly all of Polians flaws in building this team that it's sickening to think about.

We need an entire new regime, NEW GM & Pres, to come in with a new coaching staff. I wonder how much Irsay would be willing to do this. Nearly every part of the team needs rebuilt with new players. The D line and Secondary being the most urgent in my view. Would be really nice to have interior D-Line be a standout position for the Colts on a consistent basis.

MaxV
11-01-2011, 11:00 AM
Not to sound like a Penn State homer, but DT Devon Still has been VERY impressive this season.

Might be a great pick early in the 2nd round.

killxswitch
11-01-2011, 11:26 AM
Not to sound like a Penn State homer, but DT Devon Still has been VERY impressive this season.

Might be a great pick early in the 2nd round.

I don't know much about Still but I do like his size. What is his playing style? Does he push blockers into the pocket or knife between them? How does his play affect the Penn State LBs? Does he have room to put on weight? At 6'5 I would think so.

killxswitch
11-01-2011, 11:58 AM
Guys I was past this, but reading this article just infuriates me all over again. **** Bill Polian. Seriously.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204528204577010412151745858.html

MaxV
11-01-2011, 12:17 PM
I don't know much about Still but I do like his size. What is his playing style? Does he push blockers into the pocket or knife between them? How does his play affect the Penn State LBs? Does he have room to put on weight? At 6'5 I would think so.

He has the ability to do both. He is big, strong and athletic. Despite being 6'-5", he plays with low pad level and gets very good leverage. He constantly faces double-teams and still gets a lot of tackles for loss.

As far as how his play affects the LBs, a lot of times he doesn't let them make plays as he makes a lot of tackles himself (10 vs. Illinois last week).

The biggest knock on him is his injury history. This is really the first season that he has made it this far injury-free in his college career.

I'm not sure how he'll project as a pass-rusher, but he makes a lot of plays behind the line of scrimmage.

RCAChainGang
11-01-2011, 10:38 PM
Guys I was past this, but reading this article just infuriates me all over again. **** Bill Polian. Seriously.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204528204577010412151745858.html

Why the hell did he get let go?
I just don't understand. It seems like Polian is trying to tear the franchise apart.
Tryon seemed to have such a great attitude about things...

MaxV
11-06-2011, 08:42 PM
And then there was one...

RCAChainGang
11-06-2011, 11:46 PM
From the last team to get beat in the regular season,

To the last team to win in the regular season.

R.I.P. Colts

killxswitch
11-06-2011, 11:47 PM
The #1 pick is now ours and only the Colts themselves can mess it up now.

The question is, with this front office and coaching staff, will it matter?

MaxV
11-07-2011, 07:02 AM
BTW, for those that will compare this team to the 2008 Lions, there is no comparison.

That Detroit team was awful but it atleast was trying to avoid making history, this Colts team has completely given up.

The 2 best players on the team, Mathis and Freeney, have been completely useless in the last few weeks.

I'm hoping that they'll at least try once more before the end.

killxswitch
11-07-2011, 08:05 AM
The true end to trying I think will come if/when the Jags beat us at home. If that happens guys will start missing games with "injuries" things will get even more out of hand.

Polian (Chris, Bill, whoever) has let this team fall to depths I didn't think were possible. The idea of him keeping his job next year makes me sick.

MaxV
11-09-2011, 04:06 PM
We should start a "Pat McAfee to the Pro Bowl" campaign.

falloutboy14
11-13-2011, 03:47 PM
If it wasn't a sure thing already, it is now. Rams & Dolphins just got wins, so there's no one-win teams left. Don't think the Colts could get 1 of the next 6, let alone win 2 & tie-breakers.

Time to start looking at what we do with pick 33.

killxswitch
11-14-2011, 12:21 AM
Now that we have breathing room I might not mind winning a game. For example maybe Manning gets healthy in time to win the last game of the season.

However an 0-16 season makes for a stronger case against the Polians and against retaining any of the coaches currently on-staff. So it is hard to decide.

falloutboy14
11-14-2011, 01:19 AM
FWIW, if we manage to lose by an average of 16.3 for the rest of the season, we'll break the Tampa Bay Bucs record for lowest point differential in a season. With New England, Carolina, Baltimore & round 2 vs the AFC South remaining, it seems doable.

MaxV
11-14-2011, 07:36 AM
I definitely want to avoid history.

BTW, don't be so certain that Luck is a Colt next season. There are some rumors that his camp might try to force a trade to a more desirable situation.

Sloopy
11-14-2011, 07:53 AM
I definitely want to avoid history.

BTW, don't be so certain that Luck is a Colt next season. There are some rumors that his camp might try to force a trade to a more desirable situation.

This would be devistating. I could be happy if the team decided to go with luck or trade him. However, if Luck forced a trade it would essentially take away all of our leverage in a trade and might even have to settle for a 1-1 deal with one of the other top teams.

killxswitch
11-14-2011, 09:10 AM
This would be devistating. I could be happy if the team decided to go with luck or trade him. However, if Luck forced a trade it would essentially take away all of our leverage in a trade and might even have to settle for a 1-1 deal with one of the other top teams.

My hope is that the team would discuss this with Luck and his people first in pre-draft interviews. If he doesn't want to go to the Colts they need to find out early on and trade the pick.

RagingColt
11-14-2011, 09:13 AM
I don't see how Irsay in his right mind would keep anyone named Polian into 2012. They should all go now. Regardless of what BP says, I think Peyton is done. My 'dream' scenario would be for Peyton to retire, the entire coaching staff retire and for the Polians to be fired. Irsay hires a new GM after the end of the season and together they pick a new coach. Prefer a defensive minded guy more than offensive. The new coach would install an attacking style of defense and not run the 'retreating' Cover-2. I would hire Peyton on to be our offensive coordinator and the team would draft Luck with the 1st pick. We'd run a similar style offense as to what we have now with a hurry up/no huddle. In the draft we need help in the secondary, LB, DT and add some quality depth on the O-Line. I think we need to start drafting one or two players each year for just special teams too. Our coverage and return units have sucked for far too long with scrubs.

Our core weaknesses were never successfully addressed under the Polian regime through the drafts - DT play and Special teams continued to suck for 10+ years.

Sloopy
11-14-2011, 09:52 AM
My hope is that the team would discuss this with Luck and his people first in pre-draft interviews. If he doesn't want to go to the Colts they need to find out early on and trade the pick.

I would hope so too, I just hope that he doesn't come out with it before we can discuss it with him.

Sloopy
11-14-2011, 09:54 AM
I don't see how Irsay in his right mind would keep anyone named Polian into 2012. They should all go now. Regardless of what BP says, I think Peyton is done. My 'dream' scenario would be for Peyton to retire, the entire coaching staff retire and for the Polians to be fired. Irsay hires a new GM after the end of the season and together they pick a new coach. Prefer a defensive minded guy more than offensive. The new coach would install an attacking style of defense and not run the 'retreating' Cover-2. I would hire Peyton on to be our offensive coordinator and the team would draft Luck with the 1st pick. We'd run a similar style offense as to what we have now with a hurry up/no huddle. In the draft we need help in the secondary, LB, DT and add some quality depth on the O-Line. I think we need to start drafting one or two players each year for just special teams too. Our coverage and return units have sucked for far too long with scrubs.

Our core weaknesses were never successfully addressed under the Polian regime through the drafts - DT play and Special teams continued to suck for 10+ years.

If we were to do a complete rebuild, It would probably involve trading the Luck pick. Even though it would seem like starting with a new franchise QB would be the way to rebuild, it might be better to get a # of pieces this year and let peyton run the show for a year or two while you rebuild the team.

I mean there is a very good chance Barkley stays this year if Luck comes out, has a shot at a NC and being the #1 overall QB selected in next years draft

falloutboy14
11-14-2011, 10:35 AM
So your plan is to go another year with Painter? Yuck.

As of now my preferred HC candidates are Greg Williams (DC of New Orleans) & Mike Zimmer (DC of Cincy).

Regarding Luck, I think that Stafford, Bradford, & Newton showed the point that if you add good QB play to bad teams, things can turn around remarkably. Even if Luck says he's not playing for the Colts, that doesn't reduce our leverage that much. Miami, Washington, etc, still have to out-compete for him. If Luck doesn't want to sit behind Manning long-term like Rodgers did, then Manning becomes trade-able after a year.

killxswitch
11-14-2011, 11:52 AM
I don't want Williams but I would take Mike Zimmer for sure. Assuming he would be allowed to actually coach. Which assumes Bill Polian is gone.

MaxV
11-14-2011, 12:12 PM
It's nice to dream.

Sorry guys, Polians aren't going anywhere.

killxswitch
11-14-2011, 12:26 PM
I think Bill will go. Chris will stay. I'm not against that yet.

falloutboy14
11-14-2011, 04:01 PM
I think Bill will go. Chris will stay. I'm not against that yet.

I think this is in the very near future. Bill's gotta be like a thousand years old. Chris has a draft or two of grace before I'd call for his removal, assuming he doesn't crap the bed

killxswitch
11-15-2011, 12:19 AM
After his radio show tonight I am convinced he is either senile or a great actor. He actually said the team isn't good enough right now to take risks, and that "McAfee is a weapon. Use him." He also said Painter wasn't that bad, Caldwell's doing great as a coach, and a bunch of other happy horseshit that no one with a brain will believe. There's no way this ass pimple can stay in charge of our team.

RagingColt
11-17-2011, 10:02 PM
Finally an upcoming Sunday in which we won't lose a game. If there's a good side to this lousy season, I look forward to the SNF and other prime time games that much more.

Sloopy
11-18-2011, 05:33 PM
So your plan is to go another year with Painter? Yuck.

As of now my preferred HC candidates are Greg Williams (DC of New Orleans) & Mike Zimmer (DC of Cincy).

Regarding Luck, I think that Stafford, Bradford, & Newton showed the point that if you add good QB play to bad teams, things can turn around remarkably. Even if Luck says he's not playing for the Colts, that doesn't reduce our leverage that much. Miami, Washington, etc, still have to out-compete for him. If Luck doesn't want to sit behind Manning long-term like Rodgers did, then Manning becomes trade-able after a year.

No I would assume that the team we would make a deal with wouldn't be THAT far away from ours, prob top 10, so we would still draft a top QB just not Luck, and we'd gain more picks

killxswitch
11-28-2011, 01:11 AM
I actually thought we might see a win vs. the Panthers. The team had chances to win but Painter is terrible and the team as a whole needs new vision. The next two weeks will be hard to watch.

RCAChainGang
11-28-2011, 01:14 AM
I actually thought we might see a win vs. the Panthers. The team had chances to win but Painter is terrible and the team as a whole needs new vision. The next two weeks will be hard to watch.

I couldn't see it. I kept up with it but nothing is like watching it. Sounds like we had a legitimate shot. You think we go winless?

MaxV
11-28-2011, 07:39 AM
I couldn't see it. I kept up with it but nothing is like watching it. Sounds like we had a legitimate shot. You think we go winless?

There is absolutely no doubt about it now.

This was the last chance.

falloutboy14
11-28-2011, 11:00 AM
There's still round 2 vs the Jags. Lots of things can happen between now and whenever that game is. Don't think we'll be favored, but whatever.
Had they run it once at the end, I think they would've gotten a TD. Donald Brown was running well. He's turning into not an absolute bust. Maybe we just need to give Hughes another year.

killxswitch
11-28-2011, 11:29 PM
I think Hughes will go somewhere else and do well. He has talent but not as a down lineman, and his effort sucks. As a 3-4 rush LB with the right coaching he could turn it around.

RCAChainGang
11-29-2011, 12:42 PM
The Indianapolis Colts fired defensive coordinator Larry Coyer on Tuesday and promoted linebackers coach Mike Murphy to take over the defense.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82494ea1/article/winless-colts-fire-dc-coyer-tab-murphy-to-run-defense?module=HP11_headline_stack

What do you guys think?

killxswitch
11-29-2011, 12:45 PM
I don't think Coyer was the main problem so it solves nothing. I think it is just to appease fans so it appears they are doing something.

They also benched Painter which should've been done a few games ago.

It is a step in the right direction but until BillPo is gone none of this will matter.

MaxV
11-29-2011, 12:49 PM
A few weeks too late.

killxswitch
11-29-2011, 01:07 PM
Have you guys looked back at page 1 of this thread lately? Look at us all, so full of optimism even when we heard Manning wouldn't be ready to start the season. What a bunch of suckers.

RagingColt
11-29-2011, 10:46 PM
I'm ready to write this year off. I've watched far less football this year than any other year since about 1998. I think Petyon should retire, the entire Polian regime fired and the puppet Caldwell sent packing as well. We need a full on new GM to hire a new coach. We gotta draft a QB with our first pick and then start rebuilding our O and D lines. Our run game this year actually looks like an NFL caliber one for the first time since Edge was here. The entire mentality has to change. Feel like if we built the team from the lines first and then to the skill positions, we'd be much better off in fighting for a playoff berths and deeper runs. We've got a few decent talented guys from this year's draft class to build around.

Still see light at the end of the tunnel but it's a dark year. It's not impossible for this team with a new coach, gm, and direction to be competing for a division title in two to three years after next year. Jacksonville canned Del Rio, Tennesee looks to be about average until Locker starts playing more and Houston is well . . . Houston. It's not like we're competing vs Baltimore or the Pats every year to win our division.

However, if Irsay chooses to keep anyone named Polian, my optimism will drown in sorrow.

dannyz
11-30-2011, 01:11 AM
http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/6920957/1024/Swaps/Luck-IND-copy.png
Sorry Real Big but I want to see that for the Next 15 Years.

killxswitch
11-30-2011, 08:07 AM
For some reason he looks like a little kid in that helmet.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
11-30-2011, 09:04 AM
Firing Coyer was a scapegoat move and does nothing. I fail to see how promoting Murphy will make anything even slightly better. Oh and it has been a while since i have said it but Jerry Hughes ******* sucks.

killxswitch
11-30-2011, 11:22 AM
Murphy isn't going to do anything special and isn't expected to. He is a placeholder. Firing Coyer isn't even close to enough. I doubt he is the last to go. Though they may wait til the end of the season for more.

falloutboy14
11-30-2011, 03:42 PM
If Caldwell were fired now, I can't even imagine who the HC would be. Jim Tressel?

killxswitch
11-30-2011, 09:27 PM
If Caldwell were fired now, I can't even imagine who the HC would be. Jim Tressel?

I still think there's a chance they do this.

RCAChainGang
12-08-2011, 01:25 PM
I realize he had a lot of garbage points, but I liked Orlovsky. I'm still holding out for a win this season.

killxswitch
12-08-2011, 01:41 PM
I think we'll beat Jacksonville now. Especially if we're 0-15 by then. Orlovsky will be rabid about not being on another 0-16 team and Jacksonville is beyond terrible.

Sloopy
12-16-2011, 12:33 PM
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-triangle/post/_/id/12477/the-collapse-of-the-colts-has-been-years-in-the-making

Not a bad write up here...

MaxV
12-16-2011, 01:41 PM
I can't believe we used to consider Rob Morris as the biggest bust in Polian's Colts career.

I would GLADLY take him over Hughes, Brown, Ugoh and Gonzo.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
12-16-2011, 04:46 PM
http://www.stampedeblue.com/2011/12/16/2640456/bill-polian-did-not-want-to-hire-tony-dungy-in-2002-might-want-norv

A lot of good meat in this article on some of other Polians failures and bad decisions. Good be saying high to Norv Turner next year. I wonder what Marty Schottenheimer is up to these days.

RCAChainGang
12-17-2011, 05:42 AM
Please never Norv Turner.... just, no.
No to Jim Caldwell.
Not to Bill Polian and Chris Polian.

Get rid of them and hire a legitimate coaching staff.
If Norv Turner is hired then it is my queue to keep playing fantasy football to keep things interesting because nothing good will come in Indy.

RCAChainGang
12-18-2011, 02:26 PM
Could this be it?
I don't want this season to be one of the winless seasons for everyone to look back on.

redviper311
12-18-2011, 04:13 PM
What a win today! Donald Brown had a good game today. Well thank you Santa for making my Christmas wish come true!

MaxV
12-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Great job. Now lets not do anything crazy like lose 1st overall pick.

killxswitch
12-18-2011, 09:20 PM
Brown has really improved this year. I think the RB coach and Pete Metzellars the OL coach are the only two I would keep out of the whole staff.

I guess it is nice to get a win but I am worried now because I've thought for a while our only chance to win anything was against Jacksonville. I still think the Texans will beat us but if we beat Jax now we will have 2 wins. STL and Minny probably aren't winning any more games this year. And STL's SOS will probably be terrible. So there's a good chance now that despite sucking so bad all year we will still not get the #1 pick. And possibly worse, Bill Polian might use a couple wins as a reason to keep the coaching staff intact.

RagingColt
12-18-2011, 10:04 PM
Good that we avoided joining the '08 Lions. I agree, Caldwell and Polians should still exit the picture at year's end. Time to start new.

falloutboy14
12-18-2011, 11:28 PM
As of now, the SoS stands:
Colts 120-103
Minn 127-97
STL 130-90

The NFC West isn't crap like usual, so STL isn't the sure-win you'd normally expect.

Someone over on ColtsFreakshttp://www.coltfreaks.com/forum/showthread.php?p=400778#post400778 crunched the numbers and established that SD's win over Baltimore locked up the SoS for us. If all 3 teams finish with 2 wins, Colts will get the tie-breaker.

Essentially almost all of the remaining games are division games. So there aren't enough remaining games that matter for changing the SoS. 26 of the 32 games are division games. If Jax beats Tenn next week, it counts equally for the colts as both wins and losses.

MaxV
12-19-2011, 07:52 AM
So a loss to Texans and we get 1st overall?

killxswitch
12-19-2011, 08:42 AM
So a loss to Texans and we get 1st overall?

That appears to be the case, yes. Hopefully they will fight for seeding and not just be content with winning the division. Then we're free to beat the Jags at Teal Tarp Stadium.

RCAChainGang
12-19-2011, 10:50 AM
Sounds good to me. 2-14 would be great.
I just hope we don't keep our current staff.

And how about Pat Angerer? Dude was a monster in the middle. This is only the second game this year I actually got to watch. Has he played well all year?

killxswitch
12-19-2011, 11:27 AM
Sounds good to me. 2-14 would be great.
I just hope we don't keep our current staff.

And how about Pat Angerer? Dude was a monster in the middle. This is only the second game this year I actually got to watch. Has he played well all year?

He's been injured some and at other times no, he hasn't played that well. He did have one game earlier this season, I forget which one, where he played on a similar level as last night.

A lot of it has to do with the DT play, which was a lot stronger last night than usual. They also played more tight man coverage until the end of the game (and unsurprisingly, they almost gave the game back as a result).

Better DL play means the LBs aren't getting blocked by OLmen so they're free to make lots of tackles and big Kavell Conner hits. Tighter coverage means the QB isn't so free to make easy completions that negate the pass rush. I dont' know where it's been all year. And I don't know why teams still go into prevent.

RCAChainGang
12-20-2011, 07:52 PM
So is "Peyton Manning not practicing this season" writing on the wall that he could be cut?

I've thought long and hard about it and I would rather have Peyton 3 more years than cutting him to make room for Luck. I realize the franchise would probably be better off with Luck, but I want Peyton to retire a Colt and finish his career here.

killxswitch
12-20-2011, 10:52 PM
Ha, I am sig quoted!

I think if Peyton is healthy, they'll keep him and draft Luck.

If he's iffy, they'll try to rework his contract and if they can't agree, they'll cut Manning. They'll draft Luck either way.

If he's done, he will retire and the Colts will draft Luck.

I think Polian is dead set on Luck and nothing is going to stop him from drafting the kid unless Irsay cans him.

RCAChainGang
12-21-2011, 03:08 AM
Well I hope he gets canned along with Chris and Caldwell and we can bring in a respectable coach.

Jeff Fisher is a good coach when he has a decent QB. Give him Peyton or a non-bust draft pick (hopefully Luck wouldn't bust) and I would be happy to see him here.

Even the notion of Norv Turner makes me want to quit rooting for the Colts.

killxswitch
12-21-2011, 08:28 AM
I would seriously be fine with Norv Turner as an OC. I think Luck will be fine but it will only help him to have a QB guru helping him learn the pro game. That said, I doubt it will happen. That isn't how Irsay hires people.

I do think based on Polian's interview with Adam Schein (of course, because he'd never give this kind of interview to local Indy media) that Caldwell will probably be fired. I don't think Polian or his son will be fired but I think there's a good chance Bill will retire. I just hope it's real retirement and none of this "special projects" ******** where he still has a hand in things.

I would love for 2012 to be the rebirth of the Colts, with or without Manning. Continuity is only a good thing if what you are continuing is good. What we have sucks. No point in continuing it.

killxswitch
12-22-2011, 09:10 AM
Per Will Caroll of SI Manning is at 85-90%. Here's the Tweet:

Peyton Manning is throwing at 85-90% and showing signs that the rest is conditioning, not nerve. Very positive.

MaxV
12-22-2011, 09:57 AM
Good sign.

But you know that Luck's camp is rooting against us getting 1st overall.

killxswitch
12-22-2011, 11:42 AM
Good sign.

But you know that Luck's camp is rooting against us getting 1st overall.

I don't see that Luck or his camp have any choice. If the Colts get the #1 pick Luck will be a Colt.

MaxV
12-22-2011, 01:18 PM
I don't see that Luck or his camp have any choice. If the Colts get the #1 pick Luck will be a Colt.

He might demand a trade.

killxswitch
12-22-2011, 01:26 PM
He might demand a trade.

And what will he do if he doesn't get it?

D-Unit
12-22-2011, 01:29 PM
Any chance the Colts win today?

RCAChainGang
12-22-2011, 04:15 PM
Yeah there is a shot. If we can get turnovers and somehow get a lead then Arian Foster will have limited carries.

Really though I think Arian Foster gets 100+ yards rushing with some receptions as well. That being said I think the Texans win by 13 points.

I give the Colts 10% chance at a win. Also If the Colts lose then they clinch the first pick in the draft and the Suck For Luck will be complete.

RCAChainGang
12-22-2011, 05:14 PM
Woah Reggie might be playing for the last time in Lucas Oil Stadium?

Did not know he was contemplating retiring...

killxswitch
12-22-2011, 05:33 PM
Woah Reggie might be playing for the last time in Lucas Oil Stadium?

Did not know he was contemplating retiring...

He's not. He thinks the Colts wont re-sign him.

RCAChainGang
12-22-2011, 06:13 PM
He's not. He thinks the Colts wont re-sign him.

That makes sense.

MaxV
12-22-2011, 10:24 PM
Noooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

killxswitch
12-22-2011, 10:27 PM
Bunch of ******* dumbasses. I know the players don't care about draft position. Ugh. This just sucks. I can't even enjoy a win over the Texans.

MaxV
12-22-2011, 10:28 PM
Go Jags!!!!!!!!

Now excuse me while I go vomit.

RCAChainGang
12-22-2011, 10:29 PM
Can we lose to the Jags?

RCAChainGang
12-22-2011, 10:29 PM
I'm happy for Reggie though.

MaxV
12-22-2011, 10:33 PM
Can we lose to the Jags?

We better.

Otherwise this season is even bigger of a disaster then we imagined.

RagingColt
12-22-2011, 11:08 PM
Win is a win. I'm happy to have something to cheer about again.

killxswitch
12-22-2011, 11:14 PM
A win is nice for like 10 minutes until you remember the Titans and Texans have popgun offenses because of injuries and we still suck. And if we miss out on a franchise QB so that we could win a meaningless game then somehow this season found a way to get even worse. There is no Barkley to fall back on now.

Smash28Dash34
12-22-2011, 11:14 PM
I hope Reggie dosen't re-sign. He would look great in Carolina blue.

MaxV
12-22-2011, 11:25 PM
Luck is the only true elite prospect in this draft. Missing out on him would be a disaster.

RG3 is a bit overrated imo and there are no great defensive prospects.

BTW, don't be surprised if Jags tank that last game to keep Colts from getting Luck.

falloutboy14
12-22-2011, 11:39 PM
Probably the most anxiety I've felt towards the Colts since the Super Bowl. We control our own destiny, we just need to make it happen.

killxswitch
12-22-2011, 11:46 PM
Problem is the players don't care about draft position. And I think Polian's voice is starting to get quieter and quieter. It would almost be worth losing the #1 pick just to know how much it must piss Polian off. Not quite, but almost.

CJSchneider
12-23-2011, 01:47 AM
I'm not sure whether I should congratulate you or console you. That could end up being a rather costly win.

redviper311
12-23-2011, 08:29 AM
Ok. I have been quite all year, but root for the Colts to lose to just to have the number one overall pick in the draft is ridiculousness. I for one am happy beyond belief that my Peyton Manningless Colts mustard a second win in a row and more importantly against a division foe.

We sent two messages to the Texans and the rest of the division last night. One, you aren't going to coming in to our home turf and win. They are now 0-10 in Indy and I would like to continue that trend. Two, we just let the Texans, Jags, and Titans that the Texans are just temporarily just the place holder of the division title for us till next season.

Back to tanking for a draft position. I for one disgusted to hear talks of sucking for a better draft position. First off most athletes are too competitive and have too much pride to lose on purpose. When I played ball up to college I would never throw a game because we where having a bad season. Secondly, they are playing for jobs next season. I understand from the fan prospective that suck for Luck is a great idea, but I for one would rather see my team end the season on a high note and end up with the 3rd-5th pick then throw games.

Should we get the 1st pick, who says the Luck signs with us. Does John Elway ring any bells? Colts drafted him, but where did he play? Oh, Denver that's right. More recently, Eli Manning. Draft by the Chargers and trade to the Giants on draft day for Phillip Rivers. I am not say that Luck would pull the same stunt, but it has to be in the back of your mind. Granted if Manning is healthy you have to keep him and let him play. If Luck is available to the Colts you have to draft him. If that would be the scenario I hope Luck is patiently waiting his turn and studies behind Manning for 2-4 seasons and ala Aaron Rogers (you hope). There are no promise that Luck will be the next Peyton Manning, but there is no way to know unless you take that gamble.

I know this post will rub some of my fellow Colts fans wrong, but I am tried of hearing the talk of losing on purpose. I for one am trilled about the back to back wins and against division foes at that. Lets keep the train rolling and end the season with three wins.

Go Colts!!! Beat the Jags! And when the dust settles let the cards fall where they fall.

I hope you will join me in congratulating the Colts on their win last night!

MaxV
12-23-2011, 09:37 AM
I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with you on this.

What will another win acomplish exactly? Is it really that much better to be 3-13 then 2-14?

If we have learned anything this season, it's that this team is missing more pieces then we originally thought. And if there is one saving grace with having a terrible season, it's the high draft pick.

Even if Luck demands a trade, we could probably get a KING'S RANSOM, especially with Barkley staying.

No, 1st overall pick or bust.

redviper311
12-23-2011, 12:20 PM
Your entitled to your opinion (just have to agree to disagree), but they have to much pride to lose for the sake of losing. When your playing for a job they don't really care what the GM or the fans want. Sure there are a lot of needs, but I think they are more on the O-line and Defensive side of the ball. Truly I feel most of the problems are with the coaching staff and for that they need to go as well the Polians.

On a different note: I personal would like to see the Colts trade away the pick and stock pile picks.

RCAChainGang
12-23-2011, 01:44 PM
Your entitled to your opinion (just have to agree to disagree), but they have to much pride to lose for the sake of losing. When your playing for a job they don't really care what the GM or the fans want. Sure there are a lot of needs, but I think they are more on the O-line and Defensive side of the ball. Truly I feel most of the problems are with the coaching staff and for that they need to go as well the Polians.

On a different note: I personal would like to see the Colts trade away the pick and stock pile picks.

No player is sucking for Luck. They all want to win. It is ridiculous to think that the players have any reason to care for what pick they get.

With that being said, we just hope that our pathetic team loses so we can get the best prospect. No one is saying that the Colts are intentionally losing. That is what is so damn depressing about it all. 2-14 or 3-13? I'll definitely take 2-14. That win means nothing as most of our players that experience it are canned anyways.

killxswitch
12-23-2011, 01:58 PM
Whether the team is 3-13 or 0-16, it sucks. This season has sucked. Moral victories over teams with terrible offenses don't prove anything and don't improve the team at all.

The #1 pick is the only thing that would've made this ****** season worth it.

And now there is talk that because of these wins Caldwell might keep his job. Which means the Polians would stay in power too. Are you ******* kidding me? Because of three wins against popgun offenses? After a season of terrible game plans, 3 years of bad time management, and almost zero player development? No. That is not acceptable.

**** these wins. They do nothing but make the team worse. I don't care about your pride and if talk of "tanking" hurts your feelings. Winning these games is the worst thing this team can do so of course that is what they're going to do. ****.

redviper311
12-23-2011, 03:16 PM
I am sure you all our aware we are mathematically we are still in the hunt for the 1st overall pick. Colts, Rams, and Vikings are all sitting with two wins a piece.

I will present the three scenarios:

1. Should we lose to the Jags we clinch the 1st overall pick in April regardless what the Rams and Vikings do.

2. Should the Rams and the Vikings pick up 1 win each during their next two games and we beat the Jags we still clinch the 1st overall pick.

3. The only way the Colts lose the pick is the Colts beat the Jags and the Rams and Vikings lose both of their remaining games.

As it sits today we have a 66.67% shot of clinching the 1st overall pick.

killxswitch
12-23-2011, 03:58 PM
The Rams are not going to beat the 49ers or Steelers. If we beat the Jags, which is very likely, we will pick 2nd or 3rd.

RCAChainGang
12-24-2011, 05:45 PM
The Rams are not going to beat the 49ers or Steelers. If we beat the Jags, which is very likely, we will pick 2nd or 3rd.

Minnesota pretty much lost the pick by winning.

St. Louis plays San Fran next week.
It is possible that San Fran wins this week and the Saints lose against the Falcons and that means that the 49ers could potentially sit there starters.

Just a thought. I am increasingly optimistic.
The Jags are gonna pound the football. Blaine Gabbert sucks and we just can't stop the run. Look for MJD to destroy us and hopefully we won't be able to put up points against their decent defense.

redviper311
12-24-2011, 07:10 PM
With the Vikings win over the Redskins today we can't do no worse than the 2nd overall pick.

Three Scenarios:

S1: We beat the Jags and Rams beat the 49ers, we clinch the 1st over all pick.

S2: We lose to the Jags, we clinch the 1st over all pick.

S3: We beat the Jags and the Rams lose to the 49ers, we clinch the 2nd over all pick.

I would love it if scenario one plays out, but either or of the 1st two scenarios would be fine. But to be honest after seeing the Rams performance today against the Steelers, a loss to the Jags seems to be the most realistic option to attain the 1st pick in the draft. I don't foresee the Rams beating the 49ers unless the niners rest their starters.

killxswitch
12-26-2011, 12:59 AM
I understand that the players never were and never will tank. A bunch of those guys won't be on the roster next year so many are and should be trying to get noticed. They want to keep playing. I get that and don't begrudge them that.

What pisses me off is, in a general sense, the idea that we could have the season we've had, go so long without winning or really feeling like we could or deserve to win, and then have the one good thing about such a **** season be yanked away from us.

If Polian hadn't made a bunch of terrible roster decisions, if the Colts had played Orlovsky from the start, if they'd had coaches that could actually coach, this season might not have been a bust. Look at the way Lacey has been playing. Look at the safeties. Look at how big of a difference guys like Mookie Johnson and Pat Angerer and Rico Mathews have made the last couple of games. Look at how Reggie and Garcon have put up respectable numbers with mostly ****** QB play for the season.

If this front office hadn't put so many road blocks in place before football even started, this team could've won some games and even contended for the playoffs. Look at the South this year. Hell, look at the whole AFC. Pittsburgh and Balt are both vulnerable. NE's defense is dead last vs. the pass and not that good vs. the run. Houston is missing their 3 best football players. The West sucks more than usual. A 9 or 10 win season could've meant something.

I honestly do believe Bill Polian has tried all year to block this teams' success with dumbass roster moves and lots of coaching interference. I think he wants to gift Luck to his son and retire. And I think the players are tired of his ******** and are trying to stick it to him. No that's not the only reason. They beat 2 bad offenses and the Houston TD was a gift from the refs. But they're playing hard and it isn't for Caldwell. Not entirely, and I doubt it's even mostly that.

The worst part isn't even the idea of missing on Luck. It's the idea that we will continue on with the same losers in charge because somehow what hasn't worked all year somehow is, and now surely they deserve to keep their jobs.

I'm telling you, if Irsay keeps Caldwell and the Polians in place after this season, we'll know he is not making decisions based on wanting to win. The people calling the shots right now are not winners. They are coattail riders and snake oil salesmen and spineless yes men.

MaxV
12-26-2011, 12:00 PM
Mathews has stepped up?

It has just occurred to me that I have absolutely no idea who has played well and which positions are a need for us.

Perhaps you guys could enlighten me.

falloutboy14
12-27-2011, 12:48 AM
Grading a better part of the team would be a difficult task, since most had significant bouts of inconsistency. For weeks, Bethea was playing very below average. Yet last week he was everywhere. There were games where Saturday was our best O-linemen, yet, I want to get Pollak into center to see if he can figure that out before we cut him. Should be the most interesting off-season we've had it quite some time.

redviper311
01-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Well folks there you have it, the Colts have the number one overall pick in the 2012 draft.

killxswitch
01-01-2012, 06:25 PM
We're #1! We're #1!

Seamus2602
01-02-2012, 11:33 AM
Rumour has it that both Polians, Caldwell and the entire coaching staff have been fired.

RCAChainGang
01-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Rumour has it that both Polians, Caldwell and the entire coaching staff have been fired.

This would be a dream come true.

MaxV
01-02-2012, 01:03 PM
I'll wait until the official word to start celebrating.

Irsay and BP were best friends, that would surprise me.

Seamus2602
01-02-2012, 01:47 PM
I'll wait until the official word to start celebrating.

Irsay and BP were best friends, that would surprise me.

PFT have confirmed the Polians are out but not word yet on Caldwell and the coaches.

So have ESPN

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7414912/polians-relieved-duties-indianapolis-colts-source-says

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
01-02-2012, 01:52 PM
JUSTICE
http://cleverjustice.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Criminal-Justice.jpg

**** you for throwing the o-line under the bus then do nothing to improve it. **** you for drafting Jerry Hughes and Donald Brown. **** you for thinking Curtis Painter was a capable starter. I appreciate what you have done in the past but your power hungry ass needs to be gone.

DoughBoy
01-02-2012, 01:54 PM
**** you for giving the Colts a competitive advantage by changing the rules in their favor-

signed all other NFL teams.

:p

DI
01-02-2012, 02:16 PM
I know he's retired, but I think your first call should be to Ernie Accorsi. See if he has any interest in returning. Would be a great hire for GM/President.

MaxV
01-02-2012, 02:41 PM
This is great.

There is however one big drawback to Polian's removal.

It's now up to Jim Irsay to find a replacement.

Do we trust him to find the right guy?

redviper311
01-02-2012, 02:54 PM
Although needed, the firing of the Polian's really worry me. I am not sure who out there would be a good fit and would Jim Irsay be competent enough to find the best replacement.

As much as I don't feel it is the right move, but I believe after these firings the Manning era in Indy is over.

Philliez01
01-02-2012, 03:30 PM
I'll thank Mr. Polian since he was part of the teams in the early-2000s that I loved.

However, the Colts needed a change and this can only help us as fans.

Hello, Andrew Luck.

killxswitch
01-02-2012, 03:31 PM
Good riddance. I am thrilled. He was good for the first half of his time here but this is several years too late.

RagingColt
01-02-2012, 03:47 PM
It's a step in the right direction. Would it be safe to say Irsay hires someone for the GM job in the next 24 hours?

Sounds like from the Irsay press conference that a search will take a while for a new GM. Coaches stay in place until further notice.

MaxV
01-02-2012, 03:50 PM
24 hours?

I would think the search will take a week.

MaxV
01-02-2012, 04:08 PM
I don't know about the GM.

But as far as HC, I would LOVE Gruden.

Seamus2602
01-02-2012, 04:11 PM
I think he'll hire a new General Manager/President pretty quickly and then let him decide Jim Caldwell's fate. He did the same thing in 97 when he fired Bill Tobin the day the season ended, hired Bill Polian the day after the season ended and then let Polian decide whether or not to keep Lindy Infante.

MaxV
01-02-2012, 04:14 PM
Yeah, but hiring Polian was a no-brainer.

This situation might be VERY different.

MaxV
01-02-2012, 04:15 PM
BTW, despite this, I still think Bill Polian should be a first-ballot Hall of Famer.

MaxV
01-02-2012, 04:23 PM
I've started a new thread on Colts' Off-season/Free Agency.

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50361

I think we should try to distance ourselves from 2011 Season as much as possible, including ending this thread.