PDA

View Full Version : RavenOfProphecy's Opening Day Mock Draft!

Matthew Jones
09-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Just finished putting together my opening day mock draft! In order to best match the teams with good fits and values, I used a draft order I made myself instead of translating a site's power rankings into a draft order, so don't think too much about where your team is picking, I used a general range. If your team is picking a couple spots ahead of a team you think they're better than, I might have agreed and just used this order because I felt it better represented where people would go. There's one wild card in there (the Raiders, of course!) I tried to use a little bit of projection with a few guys who I thought would have higher draft stocks come April than they do now for various reasons (play this year, combine, fit, etc.) Constructive criticism is appreciated!

1. Buffalo Bills - QB Andrew Luck, Stanford*

2. Carolina Panthers - DE Quinton Coples, North Carolina

3. Cincinnati Bengals - WR Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina*

4. Seattle Seahawks - QB Matt Barkley, Southern California*

5. San Francisco 49ers - OT Jonathan Martin, Stanford*

6. Denver Broncos - CB Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama*

7. Washington Redskins - QB Landry Jones, Oklahoma*

8. Cleveland Browns - WR Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma St.*

9. Minnesota Vikings - OT Matt Kalil, Southern California*

10. Jacksonville Jaguars - DE Donte Paige-Moss, North Carolina*

11. Miami Dolphins - RB Trent Richardson, Alabama*

12. Tennessee Titans - DT Jerel Worthy, Michigan St.*

13. Oakland Raiders - LB Bruce Irvin, West Virginia

14. Arizona Cardinals - OT Riley Reiff, Iowa*

15. Chicago Bears - WR Michael Floyd, Notre Dame

16. Kansas City Chiefs - DT Jared Crick, Nebraska

17. Detroit Lions - LB Manti Te'o, Notre Dame*

18. New York Giants - LB Luke Kuechly, Boston College*

19. Indianapolis Colts - OG David DeCastro, Stanford*

20. Tampa Bay Buccaneers - CB Alfonzo Dennard, Nebraska

21. St. Louis Rams - LB Vontaze Burfict, Arizona St.*

22. Dallas Cowboys - CB Stephon Gilmore, South Carolina*

23. New York Jets - DE Devin Taylor, South Carolina*

24. Houston Texans - WR Jeff Fuller, Texas A&M

25. Green Bay Packers - OT Matt Reynolds, Brigham Young

26. Philadelphia Eagles - OT Andrew Datko, Florida St.

27. Baltimore Ravens - C Michael Brewster, Ohio St.

28. San Diego Chargers - LB Courtney Upshaw, Alabama

29. Cleveland Browns (from Falcons) - DE Brandon Jenkins, Florida St.*

30. Pittsburgh Steelers - OG Cordy Glenn, Georgia

31. New England Patriots (from Saints) - WR Ryan Broyles, Oklahoma

32. New England Patriots - DT Marcus Forston, Miami (FL)*

Pat Sims 90
09-08-2011, 11:28 AM
Would be hard to see the Bengals taking another top 5 WR. Kirkpatrick, Barkley, or Richardson would be more likely.

Poz51
09-08-2011, 11:38 AM
1. Buffalo Bills - QB Andrew Luck, Stanford*

Well thank you for making my day! Love it, as hard as I have been on this team recently, I think they are moving in the right direction and unfortunately will not be picking this high. But who knows and if it ends up this way I will not shed a tear of sadness... Nice pick.

Matthew Jones
09-08-2011, 11:49 AM
Well thank you for making my day! Love it, as hard as I have been on this team recently, I think they are moving in the right direction and unfortunately will not be picking this high. But who knows and if it ends up this way I will not shed a tear of sadness... Nice pick.

I agree - I don't think the Bills are the worst team in the league, but they're certainly one of the shallowest, and with a couple key injuries could easily end up at the top of the draft. The offensive line is a mess and aside from Johnson, the wide receivers look terrible too.

FlyingElvis
09-08-2011, 12:15 PM
New England at 32 . . . you cheeky ******* homer you!

Would be hard to see the Bengals taking another top 5 WR. Kirkpatrick, Barkley, or Richardson would be more likely.

Especially with Benson on a show-me contract this year and a decent mix of receivers w/Green, Shipley, Simpson & Gresham. Richardson would have to be a top target.

Don Vito
09-08-2011, 12:16 PM
I like both Broyles and Forston a lot. Broyles might be small but he is a great receiver and would be a nice fit. Forston is extremely talented and would be a nice addition on the DL, I like it. We still need a pass rusher though.

Matthew Jones
09-08-2011, 01:04 PM
I like both Broyles and Forston a lot. Broyles might be small but he is a great receiver and would be a nice fit. Forston is extremely talented and would be a nice addition on the DL, I like it. We still need a pass rusher though.

You and I both know better than to try and project New England to take a pass rusher though.

:(

RaiderNation
09-08-2011, 01:35 PM
Depending on how Irvin tests it could happen. Idk if he is a good fit at WLB, and after this year Al will realize we need more of a LB than a pass rusher at the position. A guy like Zach Brown who likely will run in the 4.4's as a LB could get a look for us. Also don't rule out a CB or DT

vidae
09-08-2011, 02:09 PM
Crick is a weird pick for KC. A better pick would be one of the LBs or OTs (to play RT) you have going after us.

Rabscuttle
09-08-2011, 03:24 PM
We should trade our first rounder for a necromancer to bring Bob McKittrick back. So far investing investing first and second rounders on the o-line has just caused Niner fans 'roids to act up.

shylo3716
09-08-2011, 03:45 PM
Just finished putting together my opening day mock draft! In order to best match the teams with good fits and values, I used a draft order I made myself instead of translating a site's power rankings into a draft order, so don't think too much about where your team is picking, I used a general range. If your team is picking a couple spots ahead of a team you think they're better than, I might have agreed and just used this order because I felt it better represented where people would go. There's one wild card in there (the Raiders, of course!) I tried to use a little bit of projection with a few guys who I thought would have higher draft stocks come April than they do now for various reasons (play this year, combine, fit, etc.) Constructive criticism is appreciated!

6. Denver Broncos - CB Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama*

11. Miami Dolphins - RB Trent Richardson, Alabama*

15. Chicago Bears - WR Michael Floyd, Notre Dame

21. St. Louis Rams - LB Vontaze Burfict, Arizona St.*

Denver- I know CB is a much needed area but you don't think Xavier Rhodes warrants consideration?

Miami- We all know Bush is not an every down back, but they also drafted Daniel Thomas who looked pretty good during preseason burn.

Chicago- Roy is not the answer, but do you really think they take another BIG physical guy unless they plan on releasing Williams?

St. Louis- MILLER TIME!!!!! Lamar Miller should most definitely be a candidate for that spot especially if they are picking in that range. They will not lose a beat with him backing up Jackson.

Matthew Jones
09-08-2011, 03:56 PM
Denver- I know CB is a much needed area but you don't think Xavier Rhodes warrants consideration?

Miami- We all know Bush is not an every down back, but they also drafted Daniel Thomas who looked pretty good during preseason burn.

Chicago- Roy is not the answer, but do you really think they take another BIG physical guy unless they plan on releasing Williams?

St. Louis- MILLER TIME!!!!! Lamar Miller should most definitely be a candidate for that spot especially if they are picking in that range. They will not lose a beat with him backing up Jackson.

I don't project Rhodes to declare, and Kirkpatrick is a better prospect regardless. Daniel Thomas has been in the doghouse since he got to the team for fumbling, dancing, and whiffing in pass protection. They are not pleased with him at all so far. Running backs have a hard time going in the first round these days, look at Mark Ingram last season. I know you're a big Lamar Miller fan and while I do like him, that's not a reasonable spot to project him at this time. You don't spend a first-round pick on a backup to a 28-year old Pro Bowl caliber RB due $21 million over the next three years when you have a glaring weakness at linebacker, and a linebacker available represents a much better value.

shylo3716
09-08-2011, 04:02 PM
I know you're a big Lamar Miller fan and while I do like him, that's not a reasonable spot to project him at this time. You don't spend a first-round pick on a backup to a 28-year old Pro Bowl caliber RB due $21 million over the next three years when you have a glaring weakness at linebacker, and a linebacker available represents a much better value.

Kenny Tate is the guy then!!!

shylo3716
09-08-2011, 04:04 PM

Again^^^^^^

Matthew Jones
09-08-2011, 04:16 PM
Kenny Tate is the guy then!!!

Kenny Tate is another Aaron Rouse, a third/fourth rounder at best. Not nearly the prospect people are making him out to be. I didn't consider him for a second for any pick in this mock.

shylo3716
09-08-2011, 05:15 PM
Kenny Tate is another Aaron Rouse, a third/fourth rounder at best. Not nearly the prospect people are making him out to be. I didn't consider him for a second for any pick in this mock.

WOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW!!!!! (Flava Flav voice)

Razor
09-09-2011, 05:44 AM
I like the fits of Broyles and Forston, but here's my thing: Broyles is a very nice player and a perfect fit for us. But we're pretty deep with his type of receiver on the team with Branch, Edelman, Price and Welker if we re-sign him (which I think we will). Forston is another Miami player that is a big talent, but I fear he might be another Meri-type of player. Also, he doesn't have much scheme versatility. I don't know who I'd rather want, maybe Peter Konz if you have him declaring.

Any way, I think it's a decent Patriots draft and I'd probably be happy about it should it happen. Just nitpicking here...

thebow305
09-10-2011, 01:46 PM
Richardson? Yes PLEASE! :)

cmarq83
09-10-2011, 01:58 PM
I like the fits of Broyles and Forston, but here's my thing: Broyles is a very nice player and a perfect fit for us. But we're pretty deep with his type of receiver on the team with Branch, Edelman, Price and Welker if we re-sign him (which I think we will).

I personally love Broyles, and I see him as a young Deion Branch with a little more speed. I think BB will enter next year with some decisions to make at Wide receiver. If Edelman and Price show enough then I could see the Pats letting both Welker and Branch go. They'd still have another year of Ocho to bridge the gap before guys like Broyles and Price are ready to be #1 and #2 type wide receivers, but I think the ability to save ~$10 million by drafting Broyles and having Edelman replace Welker and Branch would be too tempting for Belichick to pass on. Especially with large contracts coming to guys like Mayo, Vollmer, and Chung whom Belichick absolutely needs to keep.

prock
09-10-2011, 10:33 PM
Diggin Kalil. Nice mock.

Razor
09-11-2011, 02:23 AM
I personally love Broyles, and I see him as a young Deion Branch with a little more speed. I think BB will enter next year with some decisions to make at Wide receiver. If Edelman and Price show enough then I could see the Pats letting both Welker and Branch go. They'd still have another year of Ocho to bridge the gap before guys like Broyles and Price are ready to be #1 and #2 type wide receivers, but I think the ability to save ~$10 million by drafting Broyles and having Edelman replace Welker and Branch would be too tempting for Belichick to pass on. Especially with large contracts coming to guys like Mayo, Vollmer, and Chung whom Belichick absolutely needs to keep.

That is a very valid argument. I think, however, that BB will be more inclined to draft a player in the third or late second instead just based on how many receivers don't pan out in the NFL. I know it's early, but looking at the receivers I see quite a lot that would fit in nicely in NE. If Broyles drop to the second, which I think will happen, he would be a great pick for us. Just not in the first please...

ChicagoBearsVet23
09-11-2011, 11:48 AM
Great Bears Pick. Floyd would really help jay out.

DiG
09-12-2011, 01:50 PM
I'd be happy with Landry, Blackmon, or Kalil.

TimmG6376
09-13-2011, 03:28 PM
Curious as to the rationale behind the Packers picking Reynolds. They have Bulaga at RT and just drafted Sherrod to play LT in the future. Are you projecting Reynolds to LG? I'd be surprised if TT invested a 1st on a guard.

Matthew Jones
09-13-2011, 07:01 PM
Curious as to the rationale behind the Packers picking Reynolds. They have Bulaga at RT and just drafted Sherrod to play LT in the future. Are you projecting Reynolds to LG? I'd be surprised if TT invested a 1st on a guard.

You raise a good point, but I've heard Sherrod is being groomed as a left guard after not showing anything at tackle so far. Maybe the plan is still to move him there, but they might jump at the chance to add a quality offensive tackle.

tjsunstein
09-13-2011, 07:49 PM
So you're telling me we would draft Bulaga, Sherrod, and Reynolds all in the first round in consecutive years?

I don't buy it.

TimmG6376
09-13-2011, 09:13 PM
You raise a good point, but I've heard Sherrod is being groomed as a left guard after not showing anything at tackle so far. Maybe the plan is still to move him there, but they might jump at the chance to add a quality offensive tackle.

It is actually the other way around. They tried him at LG in training camp in an effort to get their "best five" on the field, however, he looked like a tackle playing guard and has been moved back to tackle full time. He has looked better at OT where his agility is an asset than OG where he has trouble anchoring against big DTs.

Other people who also follow the Pack closely can correct me if I'm wrong, but that is my understanding.