PDA

View Full Version : McKay's approach to the draft?

Chris30277
03-25-2007, 10:06 AM
The way I see the first round going is actually pretty simple. At 8 I think we have 2 guys targeted who can come in and impact our team right away. LaRon Landry is #1, and Jamaal Anderson is number 2. Who we pick is going to be heavily affected by what Minnesota does, and if Adrian Peterson is still on the board. If Landry makes it to us then I believe we will take him, no question about it; however, If Minnesota does indeed select Landry at 7, and Adrian Peterson is off the board, I believe we will select Anderson. I do not think we are targeting Peterson, but if Landry is gone, and he is on the board at 8, I think we will entertain offers from Green Bay and trade down for #16 overall and an extra second round pick.

I realize that this would be a somewhat unpopular move; however, moving down to 16 opens the door to 3 new prospects we wouldn't consider drafting at 8, and it allows us to stockpile even more draft picks. At 16, I believe the three guys on our board would be Levi Brown, Patrick Willis, and Reggie Nelson. Brown would be ideal, because there is a drop off in talent for offensive tackles after him; however, he might not make it past Houston. Willis would be the BPA there, and he has the potential to be a terror for years to come, but he might not make it past San Fransisco. Nelson would be the best bet at being on the board at 16, and he would fill an immediate need.

In the second round we could then target starting caliber Guard (Blalock or Grubbs) with Houston's #39 pick. Depending on who we get in the first, we could target a FS (Brandon Merriweather or Eric Weddle), WR (Rice or someone that falls), or even an OT (Sears) with our pick at #44. Finally with the pick we recieve from GB we could select a starting caliber DE (Crowder, or Johnson).

If we actually did trade down, we would have the potential to fill all the holes that we need to fill in the first two rounds alone. It is risky, and it might not be the most popular thing, especially if we give up on Adrian Peterson to do it, but doing this will fill holes, and help us to solidify depth at certain positions for this upcoming season. If this actually happened, We could use the rest of the draft to fill in the rest of the things (H-Back and Power RB) that are required in Petrino's scheme.

I posted this on the official message board, but I didn't get any responses, what do you guys think. It sounds solid to me.

Iamcanadian
03-25-2007, 10:21 AM
The way I see the first round going is actually pretty simple. At 8 I think we have 2 guys targeted who can come in and impact our team right away. LaRon Landry is #1, and Jamaal Anderson is number 2. Who we pick is going to be heavily affected by what Minnesota does, and if Adrian Peterson is still on the board. If Landry makes it to us then I believe we will take him, no question about it; however, If Minnesota does indeed select Landry at 7, and Adrian Peterson is off the board, I believe we will select Anderson. I do not think we are targeting Peterson, but if Landry is gone, and he is on the board at 8, I think we will entertain offers from Green Bay and trade down for #16 overall and an extra second round pick.

I realize that this would be a somewhat unpopular move; however, moving down to 16 opens the door to 3 new prospects we wouldn't consider drafting at 8, and it allows us to stockpile even more draft picks. At 16, I believe the three guys on our board would be Levi Brown, Patrick Willis, and Reggie Nelson. Brown would be ideal, because there is a drop off in talent for offensive tackles after him; however, he might not make it past Houston. Willis would be the BPA there, and he has the potential to be a terror for years to come, but he might not make it past San Fransisco. Nelson would be the best bet at being on the board at 16, and he would fill an immediate need.

In the second round we could then target starting caliber Guard (Blalock or Grubbs) with Houston's #39 pick. Depending on who we get in the first, we could target a FS (Brandon Merriweather or Eric Weddle), WR (Rice or someone that falls), or even an OT (Sears) with our pick at #44. Finally with the pick we recieve from GB we could select a starting caliber DE (Crowder, or Johnson).

If we actually did trade down, we would have the potential to fill all the holes that we need to fill in the first two rounds alone. It is risky, and it might not be the most popular thing, especially if we give up on Adrian Peterson to do it, but doing this will fill holes, and help us to solidify depth at certain positions for this upcoming season. If this actually happened, We could use the rest of the draft to fill in the rest of the things (H-Back and Power RB) that are required in Petrino's scheme.

I posted this on the official message board, but I didn't get any responses, what do you guys think. It sounds solid to me.

As long as Atlanta has Vick at QB with his escapability, I doubt they will ever draft an OLman on day 1. They feel that they can get by with average pass protecters on the OL because Vick can escape any pass rushers who get by them. So I would be extremely suprised if Atlanta took any OLmen before day 2.
I think it is a tossup between Landry and Anderson with Anderson the likely winner. A DE is simply a far more important position on a football team than a safety and Kerney must be replaced.

Vickissick07
03-25-2007, 11:07 AM
As long as Atlanta has Vick at QB with his escapability, I doubt they will ever draft an OLman on day 1. They feel that they can get by with average pass protecters on the OL because Vick can escape any pass rushers who get by them. So I would be extremely suprised if Atlanta took any OLmen before day 2.
I think it is a tossup between Landry and Anderson with Anderson the likely winner. A DE is simply a far more important position on a football team than a safety and Kerney must be replaced.

You obviously haven't been reading any of Petrino's reports on how he wants to build the team.

I like the idea of trading down to the middle of the 1st and picking up possibly another 2nd round pick. I don't know if we would take Nelson or not though. I think we are considering moving JWill to safety honestly.

Chris30277
03-25-2007, 11:28 AM
You obviously haven't been reading any of Petrino's reports on how he wants to build the team.

I like the idea of trading down to the middle of the 1st and picking up possibly another 2nd round pick. I don't know if we would take Nelson or not though. I think we are considering moving JWill to safety honestly.

Well if that were the case Leon Hall would be a good candidate for that #16.

scar988
03-25-2007, 11:31 AM
Atlanta doesn't need a WR anymore unless it is Calvin. other than Calvin nothing woudl be an upgrade. what we need is OL and we will be getting OL i nthis draft. despite Vick's escapability we have long needed to being in some OL./

Vickissick07
03-25-2007, 11:32 AM
Well if that were the case Leon Hall would be a good candidate for that #16.

Eww, no. Leon might be the most overrated player in the draft. I would much rather trade back up into the bottom of the 1st with our 2nds and take Houston or Revis.

Vickissick07
03-25-2007, 11:33 AM
Atlanta doesn't need a WR anymore unless it is Calvin. other than Calvin nothing woudl be an upgrade. what we need is OL and we will be getting OL i nthis draft. despite Vick's escapability we have long needed to being in some OL./

Imagine Vick's escapability behind an elite OL....10+ seconds to throw lol. I hope we pick bpa @ 8 or trade down. Then in the 2nd take a couple of OL. I do think we need to take a CB with a high pick though.

scar988
03-25-2007, 11:37 AM
why? we have Jimmy and DeAngelo. we need a S more than a CB. CB is not a need IMO between Williams, Hall, Webster and Sanders.

Chris30277
03-25-2007, 12:13 PM
why? we have Jimmy and DeAngelo. we need a S more than a CB. CB is not a need IMO between Williams, Hall, Webster and Sanders.

I think Jimmy can handle CB for this year. We need to at least see what he can do before he changes positions. But both Webster and Sanders have a history of injuries and we need to find someone in the draft who can come in and be better depth then what we had last year. I am thinking that McKay will use an early day 2 pick to secure someone for that role.

iloxygenil
03-25-2007, 03:16 PM
IF the team decides to move Jimmy to FS which is possible, then I believe that trading down to 16 and selecting Houston or Revis would be the best answer for this team.

Shiver
03-25-2007, 05:44 PM

You are way off. It had nothing to do with Vick. It was Alex Gibbs, who believed that average talents can be molded. Bobby Petrino scrapped Gibbs' system, and plans on bringing in talented, big, lineman. In fact; I guarantee you Atlanta takes a lineman on day-1, maybe two.

bearsfan_51
03-25-2007, 05:48 PM
The more I think about it, the more I think Adrian Peterson would be their guy if he fell to #8.

iloxygenil
03-25-2007, 06:10 PM
McKay does BPA. If AP is there, we'll pick him or trade down.

Shiver
03-25-2007, 08:02 PM
McKay does BPA. If AP is there, we'll pick him or trade down.

The only problem is "B.P.A" is highly subjective. Technically speaking, Houston went "B.P.A" according to their board, last year. Who knows, if Grady Jackson really is cut, then Amobi Okoye could be the pick.

iloxygenil
03-26-2007, 09:31 AM
I think so too Shiver, even if we sign Ian Scott, I think Okoye would be the pick because of his ties with Petrino, and to be honest, it wouldn't hurt my feelings that much to see us pick him, I think he's going to be a great NT in this league.

I just hope we don't pass up a DE who can get pressure on the QB for him...I like him a lot, but if Gaines or Anderson are on the board, they would be really hard to pass on.