PDA

View Full Version : Skip Bayless - What's his deal?

mellojello
09-09-2011, 10:22 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDFdfX4EVFg

BeerBaron
09-09-2011, 10:23 PM
ESPN pays him to be a troll, and that is what he does.

vidae
09-09-2011, 10:58 PM
Pretty much what BB said. I'd be surprised if he believed 50% of the stuff he spews out of his mouth.

SolidGold
09-09-2011, 11:02 PM
closet queen

Shane P. Hallam
09-09-2011, 11:05 PM
Dude is one of the best guys at his job. Hs job isn't to be right, it's to be controversial. He makes decent arguments for ridiculous things and everyone hates him/watches him to hate him. It works. As a football fan and actor, I'd LOVE to play that role on national TV, haha.

bam bam
09-09-2011, 11:06 PM
closet queen

closet????

General Zod
09-09-2011, 11:16 PM
Sorry, Im a fan of the guy. I dont always agree with him(like in the case above). But on basketball matters, somehow he turns out to be right more often then not.

BeerBaron
09-09-2011, 11:25 PM
Sorry, Im a fan of the guy. I dont always agree with him(like in the case above). But on basketball matters, somehow he turns out to be right more often then not.

You are correct in that he tends to be right a lot. Before becoming the troll caricature he is now on First Take, he was actually a hell of a writer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skip_Bayless#Writing_career

descendency
09-09-2011, 11:28 PM
has anyone ever read any of his pre-ESPN stuff? I mean, was he a troll before this?

He might actually just be a guy with a really weird life perspective.

Halsey
09-09-2011, 11:57 PM
Hate on, haters. Bayless is awesome. He knows how to make good arguments, be controversial, and get people's attention. He's very good at his job.

yo123
09-09-2011, 11:59 PM
It's fitting that the guy with crazy opinions just for the sake of being different likes the guy on ESPN with crazy opinions just for the sake of being different.

Bengalsrocket
09-10-2011, 12:00 AM
This whole thing was sparked because Aaron Rodgers didn't run off season camps? lol.

Hurricanes25
Bayless is refreshing. Everyone else on ESPN are always "politically correct". I disagree with him on most things but I always enjoy hearing his arguments.

Complex
closet????

He has come out?

yo123
09-10-2011, 12:01 AM
Bayless is refreshing. Everyone else on ESPN are always "politically correct". I disagree with him on most things but I always enjoy hearing his arguments.

This I can agree with. ESPN is too concerned with maintaining relationships to maintain reliability.

Pat Sims 90
09-10-2011, 12:04 AM
I could stand Bayless if he was not sucking Tom Brady's dick everytime he spoke.

General Zod
09-10-2011, 12:18 AM
I could stand Bayless if he was not sucking Tom Brady's dick everytime he spoke.

I dont think thats been anytime recently. These days its Tim Tebow and Vince Young. lol

yo123
09-10-2011, 12:19 AM
I dont think thats been anytime recently. These days its Tim Tebow and Vince Young. lol

Well...ummm... they do win gamez you know....

niel89
09-10-2011, 12:29 AM
Bayless is so god damn terrible, which means he is fantastic at his job. He plays the devils advocate very well but I just find him waaaay too irritating to watch him for more than 2 min.

How Bayless views himself:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/archive/7/73/20110128203738!Trollface.png

Saints-Tigers
09-10-2011, 01:50 AM
I don't watch any analysis on ESPN. I make sure to not even leave the TV on the station if it's anything other than Sportscenter.

I know that one person won't make that big of a difference, but I refuse to give ratings to anything other than highlights and scores.

Ness
09-10-2011, 01:51 AM
Hate on, haters. Bayless is awesome. He knows how to make good arguments, be controversial, and get people's attention. He's very good at his job.

Bayless didn't make a good case in this argument. He failed hard nitpicking at certain aspects of last night's game to try and prove that Rodgers isn't that good of a quarterback. Which really makes it seem like he has an agenda. If Bayless just admitted he was wrong he wouldn't look as stupid. Jon Ritchie schooled him.

nobodyinparticular
09-10-2011, 01:54 AM
Bayless plowed Ochocinco twice, eh? You learn something new everyday!

papa burgundy
09-10-2011, 02:01 AM
It's easy for Skip to troll because ESPN always throws at him their plain jane chalk analysis... or Rob Parker who I'm pretty much convinced has some sort of mental defect. I'd love to see Chuck Barkley go on that show once and just smack the hell out of him.

Rob S
09-10-2011, 07:59 AM
One of my life goals is to get on that new audibles show and destroy every one of their stupid arguments. Another is to kick Trey Wingo in the nuts during NFL Live.

LonghornsLegend
09-10-2011, 10:20 AM

Dude is one of the best guys at his job. Hs job isn't to be right, it's to be controversial. He makes decent arguments for ridiculous things and everyone hates him/watches him to hate him. It works. As a football fan and actor, I'd LOVE to play that role on national TV, haha.

Which still means this....

I mean come on, I can't respect a guy who is throwing stuff out he doesn't even believe. Oh yea, let's trash Rodgers on a few throws he made because he didn't go 34/34 and throw 5 TD's right? Let's call his performance a B and point out how many points they scored in the 2nd half like this is Arena League football and they should score 50 points.

He wants all the credit in the world when he's right on something and will bring it up show after show years after the fact, and when he's wrong he finds a way to turn it around to where he was still right after all. Then he has to say something incorrect, that's obviously controversial to get attention. Cool.

It's not about just being "politically correct". At least with Charles Barkley he says outlandish controversial things but he believes them, majority of them make sense and he's more then once owned up to what he was wrong about. Skip says and does things to be different, and he lets his emotion get in the way too often on topics when he doesn't personally like a player.

OzTitan
09-10-2011, 12:52 PM
Argumentative is probably the "nice" way to describe him. Some people are addicted to arguing and will take whatever side or angle they can to get one going, within reason. Combine that with being emotionally charged, and you have someone who likes to argue who starts to have a personal attachment to a particular side in an argument - the side originally taken being influenced by a whole range of factors.

They then find whatever ways they can to be "right" as much as they can on this side - tiny battles here and there. Often the outcome is the argument (in the case of the OP, the real base argument is about Rodgers in general) keeps getting more and more specific each time and there is no real right or wrong - sorta like how it's impossible to truly measure distance exactly because there is always going to be a more accurate unit, so you can keep going deeper and deeper, more and more magnified, and never stop.

If the opposing arguer really stood back and realized what he was arguing against, it would often be too silly to waste time on, but it's an easy trap to fall into.

BeerBaron
09-10-2011, 12:56 PM
If the opposing arguer really stood back and realized what he was arguing against, it would often be too silly to waste time on, but it's an easy trap to fall into.

And in this case, the opposing side is paid to keep egging Skip on, so they willing walk into the trap.

Halsey
09-10-2011, 12:57 PM
Yeah, who would think a TV personality would try to say things to get you to stop changing the channel and watch. There's a lot of 'trolls' on TV. ;)

Raiderz4Life
09-10-2011, 01:20 PM
Love Skip...if I was arguing with him though...i'd prolly stab him before it ended lmao he's just so funny to watch.

Ness
09-10-2011, 01:24 PM
I mean come on, I can't respect a guy who is throwing stuff out he doesn't even believe. Oh yea, let's trash Rodgers on a few throws he made because he didn't go 34/34 and throw 5 TD's right? Let's call his performance a B and point out how many points they scored in the 2nd half like this is Arena League football and they should score 50 points.

He wants all the credit in the world when he's right on something and will bring it up show after show years after the fact, and when he's wrong he finds a way to turn it around to where he was still right after all. Then he has to say something incorrect, that's obviously controversial to get attention. Cool.

It's not about just being "politically correct". At least with Charles Barkley he says outlandish controversial things but he believes them, majority of them make sense and he's more then once owned up to what he was wrong about. Skip says and does things to be different, and he lets his emotion get in the way too often on topics when he doesn't personally like a player.

Yes. This. Bravo sir.

nepg
09-10-2011, 01:29 PM
has anyone ever read any of his pre-ESPN stuff? I mean, was he a troll before this?

He might actually just be a guy with a really weird life perspective.
Yes. He's always been a troll. Guys like him and Jason Whitlock say stupid **** to draw a reaction - which sells papers and draws audiences.

BeerBaron
09-10-2011, 01:34 PM
Yes. He's always been a troll. Guys like him and Jason Whitlock say stupid **** to draw a reaction - which sells papers and draws audiences.

Whitlock is legitimately ******** though. Skip is actually really intelligent and, while he's always been a troll, he has become an uber-troll because ESPN pays him to be that.

nepg
09-10-2011, 01:36 PM
I'd agree with that. Whitlock probably really does mean what he says. He is an idiot. Skip is just a really good troll. And I hate both.

BeerBaron
09-10-2011, 01:39 PM
I'd agree with that. Whitlock probably really does mean what he says. He is an idiot. Skip is just a really good troll. And I hate both.

And that is why most people watch. It's like the Yankees in baseball. There is no one indifferent towards the Yankees, everyone either hates them or loves them. And in either case, you watch them, even if it is to see them lose.

ElectricEye
09-10-2011, 01:52 PM
Whitlock is FAR worse than Bayless. The Whitlock flowchart eventually comes down to the race card no matter what....even if it doesn't make sense for it to. He's very creative with the ways he manages to sneak it in though, points for that.

I would pay money to see them on the same show.

MetSox17
09-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Oh god Jason Whitlock is terrible. That fat **** should burn in hell for the garbage he has been writing the past few years. Ya know, after he takes Jeff George's dick out of his mouth.

bucfan12
09-10-2011, 08:14 PM
I can't stand Skip Bayless. I'll never forget the time when an employee that worked in the front office in the Philadelphia Eagles tweeted how displeased he was to see the Eagles let Brian Dawkins go a few years ago and got fired for it.

Then, on 1st and 10, Bayless said it's because he was a "nobody". Like come on. Little ruthless there huh?

ViperVisor
09-10-2011, 08:24 PM
He is a troll and exaggerates his views for TV.

'Owens isn't a hall of famer' LOL
He blew up in SF and they got rid of him. No, he was a FA. And Baltimore wanted him but Philly got him. He blew up Philly. Dallas wanted him. Then Dallas bet on the 20 something Roy Williams over 30 something TO. Didn't work out. 2 more teams and was their most productive WR.

Would take Irvin over Rice.
And Irvin was as much a ME ME ME guy as Owens ever was. He sat down and told Jim Rome about demanding balls in the Pro Bowl to help him get him a contract.

Giantsfan1080
09-10-2011, 08:25 PM
At least his brother is a great chef.

Notredameleo
09-11-2011, 12:27 AM
idk whats wrong with what he said? He did come across as an arrogant prick.

General Zod
09-11-2011, 12:40 AM
At least his brother is a great chef.

I've ate at Rick Bayless's restaurant in Chicago, it was pretty incredible.

bearsfan_51
09-11-2011, 12:41 AM
Oh god Jason Whitlock is terrible. That fat **** should burn in hell for the garbage he has been writing the past few years. Ya know, after he takes Jeff George's dick out of his mouth.
Ok, but to be fair, George had an incredible arm.

eMT3DHlmvy0

I mean, look at that ****. Into the wind, flicking the ball like it's nothing.

bearsfan_51
09-11-2011, 12:48 AM
Also, Jason Whitlock played on the same high school team as Jeff George.

Rabscuttle
09-11-2011, 09:27 AM
Also, Jason Whitlock played on the same high school team as Jeff George.

Whitlock ran to something other than the fridge?

bearsfan_51
09-11-2011, 09:29 AM
Whitlock was a D1 offensive lineman. What do you think happens to most lineman when they stop playing? They either lose 100 pounds (Mark Schlereth, Mike Golic) or they get even fatter.

Rabscuttle
09-11-2011, 09:34 AM
It's so hard to picture him as an athlete. He looks like he's going to have a heart attack and the scrawny combover Kornheiser is about to die from AIDS/scurvy.

Rosebud
09-12-2011, 11:50 AM

And he's freaking good at it to.

Agreed. I think he has more fun talking about sports than anyone else in america.

Rosebud
09-12-2011, 11:55 AM
And that is why most people watch. It's like the Yankees in baseball. There is no one indifferent towards the Yankees, everyone either hates them or loves them. And in either case, you watch them, even if it is to see them lose.

Or you just say "**** Baseball, Go Cards (because **** cubs fans)" and just not give a **** about the Yankees?