PDA

View Full Version : AP signs a 7 year deal for $100 million with the Vikings

Complex
09-10-2011, 02:41 PM
$36 million guaranteed. (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/10/vikings-give-adrian-peterson-36-million-guarantee-on-new-deal/)

And he has now traded in the car for a deal that will pay him a whopping $40 million in the first three years.

In contrast, Titans running back Chris Johnson will receive $31 million over the next three seasons. Panthers running back DeAngelo Williams will be paid $30 million in that same period of time.

The seven-year deal (technically, six-year extension) will pay $52 million over four years and $65 million over five years. Johnson will get $39 million and $47 million, respectively, over that same period of time.

Link (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/10/more-details-on-adrian-petersons-deal/)

Can a mod change the title for AP to AD?

Splat
09-10-2011, 02:43 PM
A RB getting 100 million HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Complex
09-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Good thing Chris Johnson signed before AD, I remember a bunch of people on this forum giving the titans flack for signing CJ to his deal, what do you guys thinks of Vikings and AD deal?

Raiderz4Life
09-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Its a ******** of money lol I thought he'd get more than Williams and Johnson...but he just blew em out of the water lol

PACKmanN
09-10-2011, 02:51 PM
this is what has been the downfall for the Vikings...they always overpay. The contract never matches the talent or position in which they paid for

V.I.P
09-10-2011, 02:52 PM
All Hail Purple Jesus.

http://rlv.zcache.com/jersey_purple_jesus_tshirt-p235617408052151358y6r0_400.jpg

BloodBrother
09-10-2011, 02:58 PM
AP is a great talent, but I'm one who thinks you don't pay that kind of coin to WR or RB's, especially RB's who have such a short shelf life. His running style and current age(26) tells me that this won't bode well for the Vikings. They had to keep him as he is their franchise, but still....

Vikes99ej
09-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Knew it was coming, he was going to get his money from us regardless.

FuzzyGopher
09-10-2011, 03:09 PM
I want to see the real numbers not the puffed up ones that were probably released by his agent. Also, there is no way he plays out the whole 7 year contract.

Edit: Or makes anywhere near $100m

Shane P. Hallam
09-10-2011, 03:18 PM
I want to see the real numbers not the puffed up ones that were probably released by his agent. Also, there is no way he plays out the whole 7 year contract.

He gets 40 million of it over the next 3 seasons.

FuzzyGopher
09-10-2011, 03:25 PM
I hate paying running backs and that's a ton of money but I guess we didn't really have a choice. He's basically our whole offense and he will help out Ponder immensely when he becomes the starter. He won't see all of that money. Ever. Once he starts to decline he will either be forced to restructure or be cut.

bigbluedefense
09-10-2011, 03:28 PM
modern day slavery is hard work.

Vikes99ej
09-10-2011, 03:35 PM

Yeah, keep laughing. Just wait until JC starts bitching for a bigger contract one he has another 1500 yard season.

Rabscuttle
09-10-2011, 03:37 PM
By the time management gets serious about rebuilding that roster and having to pay new talent Peterson will be on his way out so things should work out well. It's not like they had anyone else to give money to and the money has to be spent. Besides, what attractions do the Vikings have for free agents now that the party boat has been shut down? We might move to LA...

Giantsfan1080
09-10-2011, 03:51 PM
So this leaves Ray Rice as the only top tier RB that hasn't got paid.

Hurricanes25
09-10-2011, 03:53 PM
So this leaves Ray Rice as the only top tier RB that hasn't got paid.

And that will change after this year. I think he's in store for a HUGE year.

nepg
09-10-2011, 03:54 PM
AD is amazing. Probably the most impressive athlete to come into the NFL at RB since Bo Jackson or Herschel Walker... But that's just dumb on the Vikings' part.

How can a team that was sooo close to being the best team in the NFL (by far) have ****** up this bad?

nepg
09-10-2011, 04:01 PM
Yeah, keep laughing. Just wait until JC starts bitching for a bigger contract one he has another 1500 yard season.
He'll be walking... Pioli's smarter than that, and won't be strong-armed.

V.I.P
09-10-2011, 04:16 PM
I find it funny that Chris Johnson held out wanting "top playmaker" money and ended up accepting a deal slightly better than Deangelo freakin' Williams. AP, meanwhile, never expresses any discontent, never threatens to hold out or demand a trade or anything like that, and winds up getting a better deal.

Complex
09-10-2011, 04:24 PM
I find it funny that Chris Johnson held out wanting "top playmaker" money and ended up accepting a deal slightly better than Deangelo freakin' Williams. AP, meanwhile, never expresses any discontent, never threatens to hold out or demand a trade or anything like that, and winds up getting a better deal.

Cause he was already the highest paid running back.....

yo123
09-10-2011, 04:28 PM
I like how everyone is shocked every time someone gets a big contract. Signing Peterson wasn't an option, it had to be done. We're trying to get a stadium deal done. 13 mill a year is about what I expected, although I would have preferred a 5 year deal.

Crazy_Chris
09-10-2011, 04:38 PM
Its a ******** of money lol I thought he'd get more than Williams and Johnson...but he just blew em out of the water lol

He didn't really blow CJ out of the water he just got way more years on his deal.

CJ = 13.375 mil a year
AD= 14.286 mil a year

However he does make 9 more million over the first 3 years than CJ.

yo123
09-10-2011, 04:39 PM

So you think Jamaal Charles is going to play on his rookie contract his whole career? Cute.

Splat
09-10-2011, 04:41 PM
So you think Jamaal Charles is going to play on his rookie contract his whole career? Cute.

He is not playing on his rookie deal now. Cute.

yo123
09-10-2011, 04:42 PM

That changes absolutely nothing. He's going to get paid. A lot.

nepg
09-10-2011, 04:47 PM
That changes absolutely nothing. He's going to get paid. A lot.
He'll be 29 when his contract is up. If someone pays him anything of note, it won't be the Chiefs.

yo123
09-10-2011, 04:48 PM
He'll be 29 when his contract is up. If someone pays him anything of note, it won't be the Chiefs.

Didn't he sign a 5 year deal? Making him 28, only two years older than Peterson. I could be wrong. Not to mention if he continues his production he's not going to finish that deal.

I really don't care though, the guaranteed money isn't that much more than CJ's deal.

Vikes99ej
09-10-2011, 04:50 PM

Peterson's contract bonus is worth Charles' entire contract. If he has two more years like last year, I can imagine he'll imagine he will want a new deal. I don't know much about his personality though, so I'm not sure if he's some greedy hood rat like Chris Johnson.

Crazy_Chris
09-10-2011, 04:50 PM
I don't think it's too likely that Jamaal is going to want to continue playing on a 6 year 27.97 million dollar deal... That is if continues his current production, and solidifies his status as one of the truly elite RBs in the NFL

V.I.P
09-10-2011, 04:57 PM
Peterson's contract bonus is worth Charles' entire contract. If he has two more years like last year, I can imagine he'll imagine he will want a new deal. I don't know much about his personality though, so I'm not sure if he's some greedy hood rat like Chris Johnson.

http://troll.me/images/futurama-fry/not-sure-if-serious-or-just-trolling.jpg.pagespeed.ce.m6cxtl-JYe.jpg

Urban Dictionary:
HoodRat definition.
A ghetto female from the hood who is trashy, and sleeps with all homies to get whatever she needs.

Splat
09-10-2011, 05:06 PM
Peterson's contract bonus is worth Charles' entire contract. If he has two more years like last year, I can imagine he'll imagine he will want a new deal.

I don't disagree with any of that.

That said if he wants a deal like Peterson just got it will have to be with another team.

niel89
09-10-2011, 07:28 PM
If they don't give him the cash, some other team will. The man is worth some good cash, especially for a team that relies on him so much. Its not like he is going to finish that deal or get all that money.

bucfan12
09-10-2011, 07:56 PM
Not saying Peterson is worth that much money. I'm sure it's heavily backloaded. Does he deserve to be the highest paid RB? Definately. But at that price, no.

I do find it funny though that Chris Johnson cried about a new contract when the organization told CJ2K that they would give him a deal if he didn't hold out.

Adrain Peterson didn't hold out and he got paid. It's all about character and leadership and class. Chris Johnson, doesn't have that attitude. He's a "Me First" type of player.

Crazy_Chris
09-10-2011, 08:01 PM
Not saying Peterson is worth that much money. I'm sure it's heavily backloaded. Does he deserve to be the highest paid RB? Definately. But at that price, no.

I do find it funny though that Chris Johnson cried about a new contract when the organization told CJ2K that they would give him a deal if he didn't hold out.

Adrain Peterson didn't hold out and he got paid. It's all about character and leadership and class. Chris Johnson, doesn't have that attitude. He's a "Me First" type of player.

To be fair I think most NFL players would have held out aswell, if they were put the in same situation as Chris Johnson.

bucfan12
09-10-2011, 08:10 PM
To be fair I think most NFL players would have held out aswell, if they were put the in same situation as Chris Johnson.

I'm pretty sure he would have gotten his money if he didn't hold out, and a lot sooner too.

Crazy_Chris
09-10-2011, 08:18 PM
I'm pretty sure he would have gotten his money if he didn't hold out, and a lot sooner too.

That could be true, but I can't blame him for holding out.

Complex
09-10-2011, 08:22 PM
AD was the highest paid RB already and Chris Johnson was the 32nd highest paid RB, there is a big difference.

bucfan12
09-10-2011, 08:47 PM
AD was the highest paid RB already and Chris Johnson was the 32nd highest paid RB, there is a big difference.

I highly doubt it was that low. I mean, he was a 1st round selection, meaning he's paid more than guys like Lagarrett Blount and Arian Foster, two guys who were UDFAs who don't have new contracts.

prock
09-10-2011, 10:01 PM
Laugh as much as you want, but we just locked up the best RB in the league for 36 mil in guarantees. Doesn't sound like too bad of a deal to me.

gpngc
09-10-2011, 11:29 PM
I don't value running backs much either. Even great ones. With a hard cap, paying one tons of money would not be wise. However, Adrian Peterson is not a great running back. He's beyond great. He's beyond a running back. He's arguably the best non-QB in the entire league. CJ2K's contract deserves to be laughed at much more than this one. I never thought any back was close to Peterson in terms of talent, even when CJ did 2K.

And the Vikings had to do this. There was no alternative. What are they gonna do - let him test the market? lol

gpngc
09-10-2011, 11:31 PM
Laugh as much as you want, but we just locked up the best RB in the league for 36 mil in guarantees. Doesn't sound like too bad of a deal to me.

You just locked up the best running back of this generation. From a standpoint of pure physical talent - I'm not sure there are 3 or 4 backs in history you can even say in the same sentence as him...

FUNBUNCHER
09-11-2011, 12:48 AM
AD is special, but CJ is severely, or somewhat underrated. Chris Johnson is one tough smallish RB and is arguably the fastest player in the league.

If the Titans had a legit passing game, his numbers would be untouchable.
Chris can do things after a handoff that I doubt AD can.
I'll rate the guy with the 2K season under his belt a little higher than the perfect specimen at RB.

That said, I think the Vikings had no choice but to lock up their most valuable player, even if he does play RB.

bucfan12
09-11-2011, 10:14 AM
AD is special, but CJ is severely, or somewhat underrated. Chris Johnson is one tough smallish RB and is arguably the fastest player in the league.

If the Titans had a legit passing game, his numbers would be untouchable.
Chris can do things after a handoff that I doubt AD can.
I'll rate the guy with the 2K season under his belt a little higher than the perfect specimen at RB.

That said, I think the Vikings had no choice but to lock up their most valuable player, even if he does play RB.

Not taking away from Chris Johnson's accomplishments and abilities, but Adrian Peterson is by far the best RB in the league and possibly in this generation. He's just a beast with 4.4 speed that will run people over.

Rosebud
09-12-2011, 11:19 AM
Good thing Chris Johnson signed before AD, I remember a bunch of people on this forum giving the titans flack for signing CJ to his deal, what do you guys thinks of Vikings and AD deal?

He's so overpaid...