PDA

View Full Version : Cam Newton is a SUPASTAR!!!

Pages : [1] 2

FUNBUNCHER
09-11-2011, 05:33 PM
3 TDs, 13/19 288 yards.

Cam Newton = THE REVOLUTION.

vidae
09-11-2011, 05:34 PM
Ugh I just knew these threads were coming. Ugh!

Vikes99ej
09-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Talk to me about how good the Cardinals defense is.

descendency
09-11-2011, 05:38 PM
Talk to me about how good the Cardinals defense is.

They're horrible. However, you can watch the game and see things that only a great player can do.

Even bad teams do good things right occasionally. Newton is just making them pay.

ChiFan24
09-11-2011, 05:44 PM
It's way too early to say. But I think Cam is making me (and other Cam fans) look pretty smart right now.

thenewfeature06
09-11-2011, 05:46 PM
Killlllllllllllllllllllllllla Cam threw some nice balls today.. yes AZ has a defense that isn't that good but the 2nd TD to Smith was just a pearl.

FUNBUNCHER
09-11-2011, 05:46 PM
Newton just broke the record for most yards by a rookie QB in Week 1.

descendency
09-11-2011, 05:47 PM
I was just about to make a topic titled "Cam Newton + Panthers = Super Bowl" but then you see their defense lol.

bucfan12
09-11-2011, 05:48 PM
Great game so far by Cam Newton, but I believe Vince Young was considered a super star for his rookie year? He's now a back up. Let's see how he handles himself the rest of the way.

FUNBUNCHER
09-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Great game so far by Cam Newton, but I believe Vince Young was considered a super star for his rookie year? He's now a back up. Let's see how he handles himself the rest of the way.

Get real.
VY/Aikman/Vick/Elway/Staubach/Peyton Manning/Rivers/Roethlisberger/Marino/Steve Young NEVER played like Cam is today in their FIRST NFL GAME as a rookie.

bucfan12
09-11-2011, 05:52 PM
Ryan Leaf put up one heck of a game in his 1st start.

Let's be real. They're playing the Cardinals defense here. He's a rookie yes. And he's playing great for it being his 1st NFL start. But it is 1 start. Let's not call him a superstar yet.

V.I.P
09-11-2011, 05:54 PM
Cam newton resurrected Steve Smith's career.

FUNBUNCHER
09-11-2011, 05:55 PM
So if Newton plays like **** his first game out, he's in over his head.

If Cam looks like a three year vet out the box, it's too early to say how good he looks for a rookie?

Got it.
Hate everlasting.

ElectricEye
09-11-2011, 05:56 PM

If Cam looks like a three year vet out the box, it's too early to say how good he looks for a rookie?

Got it.
Hate everlasting.

Because that's cool and everything. Way to invalidate any objectively discussion you can possibly have by turning it into some kind of divisive internet dick measuring contest. Totally not obnoxious.

vidae
09-11-2011, 05:58 PM
EE, it sounds like you're being sarcastic but I can't tell!

bucfan12
09-11-2011, 06:00 PM
Because that's cool and everything. Way to invalidate any objectively discussion you can possibly have by turning it into some kind of divisive internet dick measuring contest. Totally not obnoxious.

Agreed. You don't become an NFL super star after one game. This guy needs to relax. Did Ryan Leaf become a super star after his 1st start?

I'm very impressed with Cam Newton today, really I am, especially after he struggled pre-season. But he's going to go through growing pains man. You can't label him a super-star after one game.

descendency
09-11-2011, 06:02 PM
If you are watching the game, Newton is clearly still a rough, unfinished product...

But Every couple of plays, he makes a throw only a few QBs in the NFL can make.

descendency
09-11-2011, 06:04 PM
Newton has mastered the 15 yard out route. 3-4 in a row to a TE where only he could catch it.

edit: Lol. Right when people start talking good about him, he gets happy feet.

Basileus777
09-11-2011, 06:04 PM
But his smile looks phony.

Jvig43
09-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Dude how old are you? Why do people around here always jump to **** like this when something like this happens? It's one ******* game.

Raiderz4Life
09-11-2011, 06:06 PM

If you go by funbuncher's history. He is serious lol

oops...missed the EE part lol

ElectricEye
09-11-2011, 06:06 PM

I think we collectively need to find a way as a society to give anyone that uses the word "hater" in any sort discussion some kind of physical punishment. Not much. I'll settle for an unexpected papercut or something like that, but something would be nice.

ATLDirtyBirds
09-11-2011, 06:07 PM
I don't even think the Freeman stuff got started this early last year. Christ.

FUNBUNCHER
09-11-2011, 06:07 PM
Hey, I'm just giving Cam his props. COnsidering he was THE most polarizing prospect on this board this offseason, it's nice to see him come out like this and perform.

One game isn't a career but it shows the kid is heading in the right direction.

Nikolas
09-11-2011, 06:08 PM
I'm fairly sure you have to WIN games to be considered a Superstar.

vidae
09-11-2011, 06:08 PM
I think we collectively need to find a way as a society to give anyone that uses the word "hater" in any sort discussion some kind of physical punishment. Not much. I'll settle for an unexpected papercut or something like that, but something would be nice.

Seconded sir!

Raiderz4Life
09-11-2011, 06:10 PM
Hey, I'm just giving Cam his props. COnsidering he was THE most polarizing prospect on this board this offseason, it's nice to see him come out like this and perform.

Dude...you're practically having his child right now. He's a SUPASTA!!

Jvig43
09-11-2011, 06:12 PM
Dude...you're practically having his child right now. He's a SUPASTA!!

I know, seriously dont come out sucking his dick, and then when everyone calls you out on it pretend like it's no big deal.

Basileus777
09-11-2011, 06:12 PM
I'm fairly sure you have to WIN games to be considered a Superstar.

If only Cam was a winner like Andy Dalton.

ChiFan24
09-11-2011, 06:16 PM
I just want to stress how good he looks to those that aren't watching him. Beyond anything I would have expected. I thought he'd be good this year in a Vince Young as a rookie sort of way. Not a young Daunte Culpepper sort of way (though I did think that's what he'll become).

Again, this thread might be going overboard. But a lot of of the people that didn't like him coming out need to watch a replay of this game; I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

bucfan12
09-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Well, Cam's track=record in college and high school is that he is a winner.

He just made one heck of a throw. There's no denying the arm strength and athleticism is there. It's just you don't label a guy a super star after one game. The Cardinals do have 1 of the worst secondary and defenses in this league. But for a rookie, I'm giving him his props and he's playing amazing.

But the word "Super-star" is early, TOO EARLY!!!

Mr. Goosemahn
09-11-2011, 06:17 PM

It's all good.

Just remember to zip him up and wash your mouth when you're done.

ElectricEye
09-11-2011, 06:22 PM
The crappy thing is I think he absolutely deserves some credit for doing what he's doing right now. There's a very good possibility people were wrong about him, specifically how it would take some time for him to adjust to the NFL. But being confrontational and self congratulatory about it is not going to help anyone see things differently.

It is a pretty awful secondary he's lighting up right now...but 418 yards with accuracy in your debut is good no matter what way you slant it. But yeah, mentioning that in the interest of full disclosure total is just hating on Cam.

Basileus777
09-11-2011, 06:24 PM
The most impressive thing about Newton has been how comfortable he's looked in the pocket. Arizona has blitzed him a bunch, and he handled it pretty well for a rookie.

FUNBUNCHER
09-11-2011, 06:33 PM
Yes you can be a SUPASTAR on a bad team.

Come on, what he's doing is the equivalent of Barry Sanders rushing for 250 yards and 5 TDs in his first rookie start. The score is almost irrelevant.
You have to get good as a player before you can win collectively as a team.

I don't remember the last time a rookie had this kind of debut in the NFL. And I bet none of you can either.

JoeJoeBrown
09-11-2011, 06:36 PM
Yes you can be a SUPASTAR on a bad team.

Come on, what he's doing is the equivalent of Barry Sanders rushing for 250 yards and 5 TDs in his first rookie start. The score is almost irrelevant.
You have to get good as a player before you can win collectively as a team.

I don't remember the last time a rookie had this kind of debut in the NFL. And I bet none of you can either.

As a matter of fact he broke Peyton's first game rookie yardage record.

He's a stud.

Saints-Tigers
09-11-2011, 06:37 PM
Eating tons of crow for now.

Is it kinda funny that the NEXT BIG THANG, PEYTON MANNING + BRADY (Matt Ryan) already looks like the 4th best QB in the division?

Flyboy
09-11-2011, 06:38 PM

Is it kinda funny that the NEXT BIG THANG, PEYTON MANNING + BRADY (Matt Ryan) already looks like the 4th best QB in the division?

Lawlz. Ouch.

Ness
09-11-2011, 06:40 PM
Okay who the hell were the idiots comparing him to Jamarcus Russell?

Complex
09-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Cam Newton played amazing, he is doing it with the same offense and that made Jimmy Clausen(the most pro ready QB ever according to Scott and many on this board) look awful. Vince Young did not look this good his rookie year, he was a game manager that made clutch plays.

I liked to add that I was on Cam Newton band wagon but I also liked Jake Locker.

niel89
09-11-2011, 06:43 PM
Congrats on him having an amazing day. I'll reserve judgement until I've seen him play and see how his rookie year plays out. He isn't a superstar yet.

Raiderz4Life
09-11-2011, 06:45 PM

I'm going to withhold judgement until he plays more than 1 game and against a competent team.

He balled it up but I'm not about to anoint him the 2nd coming.

I compared him to Russell.

mqtirishfan
09-11-2011, 06:46 PM
Ryan Leaf put up one heck of a game in his 1st start.

Stop saying this in every ******* thread, it's 100% false. 16/31 for 191 yards with 1 TD and 2 INTs is not very good.

Complex
09-11-2011, 06:49 PM
I guarantee that if Andrew Luck does the same thing in his 1st game next people are going to be all over him. I want the same people to say the same thing and say its one game blah blah, the defense sucks and he got lucky.

ElectricEye
09-11-2011, 06:49 PM

People who never watched him play. I wasn't a big fan of Cam Newton because of the off the field stuff and the offense, but that never made sense. The world is a cold place.

ShutDwn
09-11-2011, 06:51 PM
He is a superstar compared to Jimmy Clausen. He looked really poised for a rookie under a lot of pressure. The Cardinal corners aren't good, but outside Smith and the tight ends neither are the Panther receivers. The run game gave him very little help which I hope changes fast because we will win more when he throws less.

I can't wait till he learns to use his ability to extend plays more.

FUNBUNCHER
09-11-2011, 06:55 PM
Future SB champ or NFL backup, we'll always have Arizona, Cam!!lol
'Cause today you were golden.

D-Unit
09-11-2011, 06:56 PM
422 passing yards.... Not even his biggest supporters could've predicted that.

Dude is off to a spectacular start.

SolidGold
09-11-2011, 07:02 PM
He's going to be like Tebow in term's of criticism/praise. Just a polarizing figure.

ShutDwn
09-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Cam Newton played amazing, he is doing it with the same offense and that made Jimmy Clausen(the most pro ready QB ever according to Scott and many on this board) look awful. Vince Young did not look this good his rookie year, he was a game manager that made clutch plays.

I liked to add that I was on Cam Newton band wagon but I also liked Jake Locker.

It isn't really the same offense strategically. the Panthers have basically the same offense as the Chargers now. Clausen is the worst guy to be in an offense that is all about throwing down the field.

FUNBUNCHER
09-11-2011, 07:10 PM
422 passing yards.... Not even his biggest supporters could've predicted that.

Dude is off to a spectacular start.

For real.

I'm drooling because after watching him in the preseason, I would have thought if Cam could have completed more than 50% of his passes and throw for over 150 yards, that would be a great first game for Newton.

Most of the yards Cam had running at Auburn were DESIGNED runs, he wasn't scrambling because once he dropped back to throw he was confused with all those different color jerseys running around downfield.

Cam was a pass first QB as a prep, but once he got to college his OCs built half their offenses around his athletic ability and not his pure QB skills.

It's doubtful he reproduces these stats against the NFCS, but at least we can already see that Cam..OMG..is a CEREBRAL QB. He consciously tries to be smart with the football and avoid turnovers.

Nothing but upside.

Can't believe that Bradshaw said he would have taken EVERY 1st round QB drafted ahead of Newton at 1/1.

SolidGold
09-11-2011, 07:12 PM
What exactly is the revolution though? He played well but the revolution is just going over the top. He did his damage in the pocket just like all other good NFL QBs do.

ShutDwn
09-11-2011, 07:16 PM
What exactly is the revolution though? He played well but the revolution is just going over the top. He did his damage in the pocket just like all other good NFL QBs do.

He is just exaggerating to stir up the people who refuse to credit Cam.

descendency
09-11-2011, 07:17 PM
Irony: Most pro-ready QB ever busts and the least pro-ready QB ever looks like a super star.

Sure, he'll probably be awful next week - but at least for a moment, he has looked like a huge win for a team that needed it.

gpngc
09-11-2011, 07:21 PM
I watched most of the game and he looked awesome. Forget the long TDs to Smith - he threw the deep out better than any rookie I've ever seen. He made very few bad decisions AND did all this under duress - the Cardinals pass rush wasn't bad at all today.

And as someone else mentioned, he did all of this with NO help in the running game.

Yes, the Cardinals secondary wasn't great and yes, they usually had a safety up in the box - but his intermediate game was STELLAR for a rookie. Shockey, Olsen, posts, crosses, curls - he was dynamite and way more accurate than I thought he'd be.

One more thing that surprised me was that he chose to try to make a stick throw in a tight window or on the sideline DOWN THE FIELD waaaaaaaaaay more than he looked to check down or use his legs. It wasn't particularly good or bad either way but just something I found crazy. His RBs had maybe 2 catches and his rushes were mostly designed runs. Weird.

dj825
09-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Sure, he'll probably be awful next week - but at least for a moment, he has looked like a huge win for a team that needed it.

exactly this, Panther fans have something to look forward to finally, yeah against the Packers next week he might not play as well but seriously this week makes an otherwise dissapointing loss something to cheer for and be hopeful about.

i will say this though, he isnt a superstar yet but as Tony Dungy said rookie QBs dont do what he did today, and when you factor in the fact that he didnt have a running game backing him up, was constantly being under pressure and the fact he didnt have much of an offseason it makes it that much more impressive.

descendency
09-11-2011, 07:32 PM
he threw the deep out better than any rookie I've ever seen.

His 15-20 yard out was unstoppable. It's always a hard pass to stop, but usually it's also hard to execute.

Raiderz4Life
09-11-2011, 07:48 PM
The amount of Newton nut hugging/sucking is amazing in here.

gpngc
09-11-2011, 07:53 PM

He threw for 400 yards in his first NFL game on the road. 400. 200 would have been impressive.

Halsey
09-11-2011, 07:59 PM
My response to the "2011 Offensive Rookie of the Year?" thread

By week 2 it'll be clear Newton is gonna win it.

An awesome thread I made on May 2nd: http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47381&highlight=Newton

I'm a message board genius!

Brown Leader
09-11-2011, 08:01 PM

Arguably the best rookie debut ever combined with the degree of pre draft Newton criticism in here tends to do that. :/

But I do hate the thread title @funbunch. ;)

ShutDwn
09-11-2011, 08:01 PM
He threw for 400 yards in his first NFL game on the road. 400. 200 would have been impressive.

Here is the response I bet you get: "he was good, but ________ "

ElectricEye
09-11-2011, 08:22 PM
...but Arizona's secondary is mostly garbage and has zero experience.

Still, great game. He gets credit for it. You can't really say it wasn't objectively.

You guys do have to admit that based on what we saw out of him as a college player, it's surprising he did it THAT early. Talent eventual wins out, but Gus Malzahn did not prepare him for making NFL reads.

ATLDirtyBirds
09-11-2011, 08:25 PM
He was good but.... it was one ******* game.

FUNBUNCHER
09-11-2011, 08:29 PM
Maybe I wouldn't have started a thread gushing over them, but I'd be blown away if any of these top rookies performed like Cam did at their respective positions in their first NFL game. if Julio Jones/AJ Green/Mark Ingram/Andy Dalton had similar games, I'd be hyped for them too.

SchizophrenicBatman
09-11-2011, 08:33 PM
that was probably the best game a carolina panther QB has ever had

also it looks like im going to be right about peterson ending up at safety

Miaoww
09-11-2011, 08:36 PM

No he's not. Clausen didn't have Shockey or Olsen. Nor did he have an OC that knew how to call an NFL game.

Saints-Tigers
09-11-2011, 08:48 PM
We should probably just gtfo when we deem someone pro ready, or needing seasoning, and just take the best prospect... lol

Raiderz4Life
09-11-2011, 08:49 PM
I'm not a Newton fan. I admit that no problem. I can give credit where credit is due and Cam had an absolutely monstrous game.

But some ppl in here make it hard to give him some credit because they're already making him the chosen one. Its 1 game against a putrid secondary. When he starts playing like that against competent defenses I'll eat crow.

BlindSite
09-11-2011, 08:52 PM
No he's not. Clausen didn't have Shockey or Olsen. Nor did he have an OC that knew how to call an NFL game.

Newton looked like Ben Roethlisberger out there today, stood tall in the pocket, shifted enough to avoid pressure and open up routes and delivered deep. I'm not saying he was or is as good as so lets not sperg out, but the way he played was similar.

Clausen never looked this composed the two are completely different players at this point and the comparison isn't fair to either because of the situations they find themselves in.

That being said, his numbers were nice, but what I liked even more was the number of different receivers he hit. He hit 8 different receivers today which says to me the offensive staff are smart about disguising who they want to get the ball and Newton is at least adequately able to find the open guy.

The cool thing to is that even though the Cardinals secondary struggled today, they mixed things up quite a bit, different coverages and blitzes which could have caused a lesser player to struggle but he did ok, there were some issues and I expect there to be in the future but they threw everything at him and he came through.

The greatest thing though, Newton by all definitions was brilliant today and he looked like someone killed his dog after the game, he was legitimately annoyed and disappointed the team couldn't win. That says a lot to me about how much of a team player he's going to be.

ElectricEye
09-11-2011, 08:53 PM
We should probably just gtfo when we deem someone pro ready, or needing seasoning, and just take the best prospect... lol

We've seen it work both ways. Plenty of better "prospects" have busted out because they didn't have the kind of coaching it takes to adapt to the pro game. Akili Smith, Kyle Bolller, Jamarcus Russell, ect. We've also seen guys get in with early advantages and just roll from there, Peyton Manning(not a great physical specimen) being the most prominent example of that. To me, how quickly you project to translate and how well you can see a guys game working at the pro level figures in to what kind of prospect a guy is. Otherwise you're just aiming for the ceiling like the Raiders.

descendency
09-11-2011, 08:55 PM
Clausen looked like total **** this off-season. Even with all of the above.

JBCX
09-11-2011, 08:57 PM
Everyone is going nuts about Newton but it's ONE GAME against a BAD PASSING DEFENSE.

How about we hold our horses a bit until we see how he looks next week against, um, a good defense (GB)?

ShutDwn
09-11-2011, 09:01 PM
Newton looked like Ben Roethlisberger out there today, stood tall in the pocket, shifted enough to avoid pressure and open up routes and delivered deep. I'm not saying he was or is as good as so lets not sperg out, but the way he played was similar.

The throws were nice, some I don't think he could expect to get away with consistently but he made them nonetheless. But like you said, I was impressed most by his poise in the pocket and his eyes staying downfield. The Cardinals' corners may not be that good, but Cam was under a lot of pressure throughout the game. I think he could have avoided some of the sacks but he will get a better clock in his head as he goes. His speed isn't good enough to pull it down and run at the last possible moment, he needs to make that decision a little bit sooner. I really liked that he never looked lost out there.

SchizophrenicBatman
09-11-2011, 09:08 PM
cam is so good that I dont even care how much of a turd clausen is anymore to troll miaoww about him

the only thing I'm pissed about now is that cam is going to have single-handedly carry this roster because he just saved marty hurney's job

Caulibflower
09-11-2011, 09:09 PM
My response to the "2011 Offensive Rookie of the Year?" thread

An awesome thread I made on May 2nd: http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47381&highlight=Newton

I'm a message board genius!

If we're gonna play that game, I compared him to Roethlisberger and put him on-tier with Andrew Luck and Jake Locker last October. ;-)

http://draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43490&highlight=newton

Halsey
09-11-2011, 09:10 PM
"Everyone praising Newton is basing it off one game! Waaaaaahhh"

Yeah, it has nothing to do with the fact that he's loaded with talent and had arguably the most dominant season of any college football player ever last year. It's all based on one game!

SchizophrenicBatman
09-11-2011, 09:14 PM
the best part is going to be when they pull the "i told you so" card when he has a bad game next week or struggles for a stretch later this year

just face it. anyone who has a game that good right out of the gate is legit.

Raiderz4Life
09-11-2011, 09:16 PM
lol idk why I keep looking in this thread. Its full of so much fail.

FUNBUNCHER
09-11-2011, 09:26 PM

The greatest thing though, Newton by all definitions was brilliant today and he looked like someone killed his dog after the game, he was legitimately annoyed and disappointed the team couldn't win. That says a lot to me about how much of a team player he's going to be.

I noticed that too. The guy hasn't lost a football game in two friggin' YEARS. I imagine it was a shock to his system to walk off a football field not on the winning side.
Aikman said going 1-15 as a rookie helped him learn to appreciate how difficult it is to win in the NFL and never to take any victory for granted. Hopefully the same applies to Newton and his record breaking game doesn't go to his head.

ElectricEye
09-11-2011, 09:28 PM
the best part is going to be when they pull the "i told you so" card when he has a bad game next week or struggles for a stretch later this year

Why set the stage for such a divisive, black/white thing? If Cam has a good game next week, he has a good game. If he doesn't, he doesn't. It hardly makes or breaks him as a player either way. You really can't even talk absolutes about a guy until at least his third year, especially for a quarterback. The "I told you so thing" is absolutely ******** on both sides considering that this is a subjective, imprecise science. Generally, you can only hope to be right more often than you are wrong if you do your due diligence on a guy...and even then it's not for sure.

I just don't understand why people are interested in doing stuff like this. I guess it's more fun than actually calling things like they are/were and as they happen for some people.

Miaoww
09-11-2011, 09:33 PM
Clausen looked like total **** this off-season. Even with all of the above.

Also not true.

JRTPlaya21
09-11-2011, 09:37 PM

Yeah, it has nothing to do with the fact that he's loaded with talent and had arguably the most dominant season of any college football player ever last year. It's all based on one game!

Barry Sanders 1988......but anyways Cam is okay.

Caulibflower
09-11-2011, 09:45 PM
I just don't understand why people are interested in doing stuff like this. I guess it's more fun than actually calling things like they are/were and as they happen for some people.

Draft forums are all about predictions. He was a polarizing prospect, so the people who'd been optimistic about him are excited that he's looking good right off the bat. You just didn't like him, and you just can't help but insist your grapes are sour because you can't say he had a bad game. He had a ridiculous first game. It was fun to watch, and there's not really any reason to moan about people commending him other than that you'd rather be saying, "See, I told you he was going to suck."

BlindSite
09-11-2011, 09:54 PM
lol idk why I keep looking in this thread. Its full of so much fail.

Cam Newton breaking records in his first outing is a fail?

Also not true.

100% Clausen looked bad and got dropped to third on the depth chart, he wasn't even activated today. He's not improved at all from last year. Rivera was pretty open with the fact it was an open competition and Clausen came into camp the starter, he failed to prove he could handle it and was dropped down the depth chart.

Here's a good measuring stick. If you get beat out by Derek Anderson, you look terrible.

Everyone is going nuts about Newton but it's ONE GAME against a BAD PASSING DEFENSE.

How about we hold our horses a bit until we see how he looks next week against, um, a good defense (GB)?

It's a fair point, but if you watched the game you'd know that this wasn't the preseason vanilla anyone could tear up, there were mixed coverages, mixed defensive calls and a lot of blitzing. The run game wasn't a whole lot of help either. Granted what he did today may not translate against other defenses, but lets consider too that he blew up the arizona defense with numbers that Tom Brady would be proud of, let alone did so as a rookie in his first ever start. What he did today was impressive regardless of who it was against.

ElectricEye
09-11-2011, 09:56 PM
Draft forums are all about predictions. He was a polarizing prospect, so the people who'd been optimistic about him are excited that he's looking good right off the bat. You just didn't like him, and you just can't help but insist your grapes are sour because you can't say he had a bad game. He had a ridiculous first game. It was fun to watch, and there's not really any reason to moan about people commending him other than that you'd rather be saying, "See, I told you he was going to suck."
Why? I have no vested interest in Cam Newton not being any good. I really don't care if I'm wrong. I didn't like Newton coming out, but at the end of the day I made that decision based on the perspective I had from seeing him...just as the people who thought he was better did. I've seen some of the same people that praise Newton be very wrong on other things and right on others. No, I'm hardly moaning about people commending him, no issue with that whatsoever. What I don't like is people saying "TAKE THAT CAM HATERS" and "IF HE HAS A BAD GAME NEXT WEEK JUST WAIT FOR YOU PEOPLE WHO THOUGHT HE WASNT A PERFECT PROSPECT TO COME OUT OF THE WOODWORK". It's a cheap way to set up an environment where nothing of value can come out of saying things either way and valid points can be ignored and dismissed based on ad hominem ********, like being a "hater".

If that's the way draft forums work(and they don't when they're good), they're kind of stupid. No better than the idiots screaming on the radio or TV to try to get people to pay attention to them. I like to think that some of us come to places like this to try to get away from that crap, but I guess not.

SchizophrenicBatman
09-11-2011, 09:57 PM
Why set the stage for such a divisive, black/white thing? If Cam has a good game next week, he has a good game. If he doesn't, he doesn't. It hardly makes or breaks him as a player either way. You really can't even talk absolutes about a guy until at least his third year, especially for a quarterback. The "I told you so thing" is absolutely ******** on both sides considering that this is a subjective, imprecise science. Generally, you can only hope to be right more often than you are wrong if you do your due diligence on a guy...and even then it's not for sure.

if he has a bad game ill come on here and say he sucked. hell, his preseason was not very inspiring - i imagine miaoww will say clausen's was better, i would not agree with that but the fact that you can even put them in the same stratosphere should tell you all you need to know about it. if i was the coach i probably wouldve been 50/50 on starting derek ****ing anderson this week instead of cam (i wouldve cut clausens ass months ago). now we know why im not

all i was saying was that if a guy is legit you know it pretty quick. saw the same thing with josh freeman last year. it was diametrically against my interests as a panthers fan for him to be good but I saw him destroy teams (even if they werent the best teams in the league) and he was just legit. and i backed up the bucs fans who went crazy about it because he really was that good. maybe he wont replicate that season this year and the bucs might take a step back (MIGHT) but he's still a great QB going forward

Raiderz4Life
09-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Cam Newton breaking records in his first outing is a fail?

No. I never said that, I said this thread, which it is. I have no problem with giving Cam his credit, what I do think is absolutely stupid is ppl starting to blow him after 4 quarters. This is worse than Freeman.

Caulibflower
09-11-2011, 10:02 PM
What I don't like is people saying "TAKE THAT CAM HATERS" and "IF HE HAS A BAD GAME NEXT WEEK JUST WAIT FOR YOU PEOPLE WHO THOUGHT HE WASNT A PERFECT PROSPECT TO COME OUT OF THE WOODWORK". It's a cheap way to set up an environment where nothing of value can come out of saying things either way and valid points can be ignored and dismissed based on ad hominem ********, like being a "hater".

I haven't really seen any posts like that. Funbuncher is pretty giddy, but it was about Cam "being a 'Supasta' ," not, "I told the haters so." You said yourself, "I don't know why I'm even posting in this thread." Well, why are you? To remind everyone you thought he wouldn't have a good career? I don't see the point of playing the killjoy here.

ElectricEye
09-11-2011, 10:07 PM
I haven't really seen any posts like that. Funbuncher is pretty giddy, but it was about Cam "being a 'Supasta' ," not, "I told the haters so." You said yourself, "I don't know why I'm even posting in this thread." Well, why are you? To remind everyone you thought he wouldn't have a good career? Why do you hafta play the killjoy?

Nah, I'm posting in this thread because I'm interested in discussing what kind of game Newton had and the circumstances surrounding it and what we can learn from it, seeing what we can determine about his future going forward. We have done a little bit of that, but it's been detracted from several times.
If you haven't read that stuff...try actually reading the thread.

Got it.
Hate everlasting.

Yup. Nothing like that going on at all sir.

ShutDwn
09-11-2011, 10:20 PM
He isn't a superstar, that talk is silly after one game. He had a great game, but I'm more excited about what it means for the future. Is he proven? No. But, he he has done things throughout the offseason that has almost completely disproven accusations outside of his playing ability.

This is one of the worst reviews I've seen of him:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/28/pfw-draft-guide-clobbers-cam-newton/

Everything I've heard out of camp is to the contrary. Especially this:

does not command respect from teammates and will always struggle to win a locker room

Basically everyone (reporters or fans attending practice) has noted his energy in camp and how players gravitate toward him from the start. He has to have the locker room on his side now after that game.

So far, he has been a pretty team oriented guy. The adversity he faced in college (be it his fault or not) molded him a bit and was one of the reasons Rivera thought he was worth the number one pick.

Brent
09-11-2011, 10:21 PM
what the **** was with his cleats? they looked like wrestling shoes.

BlindSite
09-11-2011, 10:25 PM
He isn't a superstar, that talk is silly after one game. He had a great game, but I'm more excited about what it means for the future. Is he proven? No. But, he he has done things throughout the offseason that has almost completely disproven accusations outside of his playing ability.

This is one of the worst reviews I've seen of him:
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/28/pfw-draft-guide-clobbers-cam-newton/

Everything I've heard out of camp is to the contrary. Especially this:

Basically everyone (reporters or fans attending practice) has noted his energy in camp and how players gravitate toward him from the start. He has to have the locker room on his side now after that game.

So far, he has been a pretty team oriented guy. The adversity he faced in college (be it his fault or not) molded him a bit and was one of the reasons Rivera thought he was worth the number one pick.

You couldn't ask for a better arrival, from the time he spent at IMG pre-training camp to the way he conducted himself in the locker room, in interviews regarding Clausen and looking for guidance from the coaches he's done everything properly.

descendency
09-11-2011, 11:59 PM
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/6469/trollfacecj.jpg

FUNBUNCHER
09-12-2011, 12:11 AM
Hilarious!!!

The interwebz flows at the speed of thought.

Ness
09-12-2011, 12:36 AM
Cam Newton managed to look like a megastar in the first start of his career. He had a bigger game than Alex Smith has ever had in seven years. Shame.

wogitalia
09-12-2011, 04:45 AM
Newton loves to throw the ball as hard as possible, not sure how I feel about that but it sure looks cool!

prock
09-12-2011, 06:10 AM
I'm not a Newton fan. I admit that no problem. I can give credit where credit is due and Cam had an absolutely monstrous game.

But some ppl in here make it hard to give him some credit because they're already making him the chosen one. Its 1 game against a putrid secondary. When he starts playing like that against competent defenses I'll eat crow.

It is more unbelievable to me how everyone says it was onyl one game against a bad secondary. So if Brady throws for 400 yards against the Cards would you be saying the same or would you be giving him lots of credit? He isn't a superstar yet obviously, but some people just can't give credit where it is due. He had the best first game of any rookie QB ever. He looked like a Pro Bowler yesterday. Especially given that everyone said he wouldn't be pro ready and needed to sit. This was an absolutely monster performance and everyone is stunned that he pulled this off.

Ness
09-12-2011, 06:36 AM
Throwing for 400 yards against any team in the amount of attempts he had is a phenomenal feat.

vidae
09-12-2011, 09:18 AM
It is more unbelievable to me how everyone says it was onyl one game against a bad secondary. So if Brady throws for 400 yards against the Cards would you be saying the same or would you be giving him lots of credit? He isn't a superstar yet obviously, but some people just can't give credit where it is due. He had the best first game of any rookie QB ever. He looked like a Pro Bowler yesterday. Especially given that everyone said he wouldn't be pro ready and needed to sit. This was an absolutely monster performance and everyone is stunned that he pulled this off.

Brady has been doing it for his entire career and Cam did it in one game. Not taking anything away from Cam at all, because that was a moooonster game, but that is exactly what he was talking about. When Cam does it more than once then more people will get on board.

I was not a Cam fan coming into the draft, but if he keeps playing like that I'll gladly eat crow.

metafour
09-12-2011, 09:42 AM
Another crack scouting evaluation brought to you by internet's Scott Wright folks.

A Perfect Score
09-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Yeah, I'll be the very first person to admit I was wrong if Cam Newton does turn out to be a successful NFL quarterback, but it's threads like this, most appropriately labelled "SUPASTAR", that really only reinforce the facts that A) 90% of this board is incapable of complex thought and are extremely prone to overreacting to one game (You know who you are, and kudos to the rest of you for keeping your heads) and B) The Cardinals do not know how to play defense. These are two things we already knew, but are worth reiterating since they seem to be forgotten in the aftermath of the Cam circus.

That said, he played much much better then I thought he was capable of playing. I wasn't really expecting him to go 6-19 like in the preseason, but I was expecting sub 300 and more picks then TDs. I didn't get to watch the game, only highlights, but how did he look in his drop and working through his progressions? The stats would suggest he fed Smith the ball and his footwork was downright ugly in the preseason, I'd like to hear some detailed analysis of his progress that isn't "ZOMGZ, HE TOTALLY BROKE THE ROOKIE RECORD/JESUS".

scpanther22
09-12-2011, 10:01 AM
He had a great game..but I know there will be bad games becasue he is a rookie..I hope as a Panthers fan he will grow into a great QB

FUNBUNCHER
09-12-2011, 10:56 AM
Just having fun. Some of you take your 'analysis' about all things football a little too seriously.
Was the title of this thread over the top?? Of course. I was just hyping the kid for having a great first game. Everyone who said one game doesn't make a career obviously is correct, again I was having fun. Jeez.

Just heard Jon Ritchie on ESPN say that he thought Cam had a 'lucky game' against the Cards. He then said he betted against Cam continuing to win games when Ritchie saw him play at Auburn last year, all the way up until the NC game. No way he felt Newton could be that good or effective.

I don't know how you watch a player do the same thing over and over in college and think it's a fluke, or see a rookie QB pass for 400+ yards and 64.9% completions and believe it's 'lucky.'

Ritchie wasn't a jerk about it, it came across more that he simply couldn't process what Newton did in his first career NFL game.

Hell, I couldn't process it. That's why I pulled out the pom poms.;)
But for Ritchie to halfway argue Cam was the beneficiary of blown coverages and his WRs jumping out of the stadium to catch the ball is ridiculous IMO.

At least Mangini countered with the point if a player causes other players around him to play harder, that's a guy you want on your football team.

Saints-Tigers
09-12-2011, 10:58 AM
It's pretty hard NOT to overreact to this. People might not like him personally, but it's hard to knock his talent, and his work ethic, I can't see him getting worse.

Sure takes away the sting of Luck going back by a LOT. NFC South is gonna be so loaded :(

J-Mike88
09-12-2011, 11:01 AM
This fits here as well, regarding Cam.

Week One had 11 QBs who passed well enough to have a 100+ passer rating:

1 Ryan Fitzpatrick 133.0
2 Aaron Rodgers 132.1
3 Kevin Kolb 130.0
4 Matthew Stafford 118.9
5 Joe Flacco 117.6
6 Drew Brees 112.5
7 Rex Grossman 110.5
8 Cam Newton 110.4
9 Jay Cutler 107.8
10 Andy Dalton 102.4
11 Tony Romo 101.9

All won their games except Brees, Romo, and Newton, FWIW.

RaiderNation
09-12-2011, 11:02 AM
I am a huge supporter and believe in Cam, but even I was surprised about his game yesterday. There was a lot to like about his performance, but he still has a lot of growing to do before I'd say he is a superstar. I do really like th offense they have around him at this point, with the exception of a bigger WR(Alshon Jeffery?). The oline is solid, 2 good RBs, a veteran down the field threat, 2 good vet TEs and some younger WRs that should develop. They just need to become deeper and more talented on defense and this team could be a contender

J-Mike88
09-12-2011, 11:05 AM
Just heard Jon Ritchie on ESPN say that he thought Cam had a 'lucky game' against the Cards. He then said he betted against Cam continuing to win games when Ritchie saw him play at Auburn last year, all the way up until the NC game. No way he felt Newton could be that good or effective.

But for Ritchie to halfway argue Cam was the beneficiary of blown coverages and his WRs jumping out of the stadium to catch the ball is ridiculous IMO.

At least Mangini countered with the point if a player causes other players around him to play harder, that's a guy you want on your football team.
Mangini is right. That's a big thing.
Ritchie was right too. I also am watching First Take.

There was a brutal coverage blow by Arizona against Steve Smith. Remember, Arizona's CBs are all brand new. If he can do that to Woodson/Tramon/Shields next week, that's a different story.
Nonetheless, A+ to Newton for what he did. Not everyone rips apart poor secondaries. He did.

Iamcanadian
09-12-2011, 11:10 AM
Newton just broke the record for most yards by a rookie QB in Week 1.

Look I like Newton and believe he will be a solid NFL starting QB. However, most of the guys who were in the top 10 QB's for most yards by a rookie QB in week 1, turned out to be flops, so any rush to judgment is way too early.
But he sure put the haters to bed.

FUNBUNCHER
09-12-2011, 11:22 AM
Look I like Newton and believe he will be a solid NFL starting QB. However, most of the guys who were in the top 10 QB's for most yards by a rookie QB in week 1, turned out to be flops, so any rush to judgment is way too early.
But he sure put the haters to bed.

What's funny is that Tony Dungy recalled coaching against Elway his rookie year and in his first game, Elway only completed ONE PASS.
Cam will be lucky to put up half the numbers he threw for against Arizona when the Panthers play GB, I'm guessing.

CashmoneyDrew
09-12-2011, 11:29 AM
Vince Young had some impressive games as a rookie too...

I still think Newton will be an average QB. Somewhere between 12-15 rankings-wise.

Halsey
09-12-2011, 11:52 AM
I don't know if Newton will develop into a consistent starting quality QB who can win playoff games, but I do know that he's clearly the right guy to be starting at QB for the Carolina Panthers right now. I can't believe I'm still hearing and reading people who think the Panthers should be starting Anderson or Clausen. If you think that, you are completely clueless and need to be quiet and learn something about football.

Shane P. Hallam
09-12-2011, 11:55 AM
I don't know if Newton will develop into a consistent starting quality QB who can win playoff games, but I do know that he's clearly the right guy to be starting at QB for the Carolina Panthers right now. I can't believe I'm still hearing and reading people who think the Panthers should be starting Anderson or Clausen. If you think that, you are completely clueless and need to be quiet and learn something about football.

There are people saying that after Week 1?

Halsey
09-12-2011, 12:03 PM
There are people saying that after Week 1?

Yes, I've seen at least one person that seems to be arguing for Clausen in this thread and heard a guy on my local radio station this morning. Newton only looked good because Arizona sucks and Steve Smith is super human. Clausen and Anderson apparently only played good pass defenses last year, and Steve Smith and Larry Fitzgerald must have been injured for every game they started.

SolidGold
09-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Newton played excellent yesterday, I did not expect that after his so/so preseason. His penchant for throwing his back foot and throwing down the middle of the field completing most of his passes to tight ends was prevalent in preseason. I did not see the game but it looks like AZ made more of an effort to play the run and make Newton hurt them with his arm, which he did. Newton did make the players around him better, Steve Smith dropped his attitude from last year. I hope Tebow gets a shot this year as well, he has the same type of impact on his teammates as well, lifting their level of play.

descendency
09-12-2011, 12:34 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/Cam-Newton-breaks-Peyton-Manning-8217-s-first-g?urn=nfl-wp6932

On Sept. 6, 1998, the Indianapolis Colts welcomed the Miami Dolphins to what was then the RCA Dome to see their new quarterback, first overall pick Peyton Manning. At the end of the game, Manning had thrown 21 completions in 37 attempts for 302 yards, one touchdown, and three interceptions.

It wasn't the most auspicious debut, but Manning threw for more than 300 yards in his first pro game, something no other rookie quarterback had done before. The Colts lost the game — they would win just three that season — but it was certainly a sign of things to come. And as we now know, Manning played in every game from then to now as Sunday marked the end of his 208-consecutive-games-started streak.

There was a first-game passing-yardage record that exceeded Manning's, but it comes with a pretty heavy asterisk. Otto Graham of the 1950 Cleveland Browns threw for 346 yards in his NFL debut against the Philadelphia Eagles on Sept. 16 of that year, but he spent the four previous seasons in the All-America Football Conference, which merged three teams (Cleveland Browns, San Francisco 49ers, and an earlier version of the Baltimore Colts) with the NFL before the 1950 season.

Surprisingly, Sunday also marked the end of whichever yardage record you care to recognize. Another first overall pick, Cam Newton of the Carolina Panthers, broke that mark going away by passing for 422 yards. Not only did Newton obliterate Manning's record for the first game of any rookie career, he did it on the road (versus the Arizona Cardinals) and with a truncated preseason due to the lockout. Unfortunately for Newton, the Panthers fell short, 28-21, but that's not what will be remembered about this game.

Newton's yardage total actually tied him for the most passing yards any rookie has thrown in any first-year performance, a mark that was previously held by Detroit's Matthew Stafford(notes) in Week 10 of his 2009 season. Stafford threw for his 422 yards against the Cleveland Browns in a 38-37 win. Of course, Stafford has an edge over anyone else in this discussion — he did his thing against the Browns with a shoulder injury sustained late in the game

Brothgar
09-12-2011, 01:15 PM
Next week is the packers he did great in this game. If he does well against the packers then he will have already arrived in the NFL. As to the Vince Young comments Young's failure came between the ears not his football ability.

FUNBUNCHER
09-12-2011, 01:27 PM
Man if Stafford plays all 16 games, the Lions are a lock for the playoffs.
I forget that talent-wise Matt Stafford is kind of a big deal.

SolidGold
09-12-2011, 01:48 PM
I hope Stafford stays healthy all season. He is fun to watch, I forget he is only 23 years old since he has been in the league for 2 years now.

nobodyinparticular
09-12-2011, 02:14 PM

I wouldn't expect a poster with his name in ALL CAPS to be obnoxious or anything.

TACKLE
09-12-2011, 02:15 PM
I wouldn't expect a poster with his name in ALL CAPS to be obnoxious or anything.

ouch. 10char

nobodyinparticular
09-12-2011, 02:17 PM
ouch. 10char

Haha. Some posters are able to overcome such a first impression, however. Others just live right up to the expectations.

Brown Leader
09-12-2011, 03:26 PM
That said, he played much much better then I thought he was capable of playing. I wasn't really expecting him to go 6-19 like in the preseason, but I was expecting sub 300 and more picks then TDs. I didn't get to watch the game, only highlights, but how did he look in his drop and working through his progressions? The stats would suggest he fed Smith the ball and his footwork was downright ugly in the preseason, I'd like to hear some detailed analysis of his progress that isn't "ZOMGZ, HE TOTALLY BROKE THE ROOKIE RECORD/JESUS".

The Cardinals defense is not exactly 10' Texans-their defense is being stressed too much as rationale for what Newton did. They put heavy pressure on Cam sporadically and defended the run decently.

What's interesting about his footwork is it seemed not really to matter-he was just rising to the moment imo. A good amount of his throws were pretty much undefendable-pin point accuracy, whether off the wrong foot or not and with great velocity or touch. Decision making and poise/progression reads looked solid for a rookie. He spread it around and didn't lock on Smith. Kept waiting for him to make a horrible rookie mistake, especially as it got tense late in the game, and he never did. For the most part he ran only at the last moment-in fact he probably could have had more rush yards if he looked for it-that's probably next week with a quarter of those passing yards.

Only game 1, but damn, I'm stunned. Most impressive rookie debut ever, from a guy supposed to be too raw and with as much scrutiny as Newton deserves a little overreaction. Of course he'll come down next week, but if this is a glimpse of what he's capable of, then...wow.

soybean
09-12-2011, 03:27 PM
I'm going to pre-order my Cam Newton - Andrew Luck Superbowl tickets :D

Raiderz4Life
09-12-2011, 03:41 PM

Statements like that are exactly what I'm talking about. Brady has done it year in and year out. He's proven he's a superstar. But if it had been his very 1st game...yea i'd probably be saying what I'm saying now.

prock
09-12-2011, 04:32 PM
Statements like that are exactly what I'm talking about. Brady has done it year in and year out. He's proven he's a superstar. But if it had been his very 1st game...yea i'd probably be saying what I'm saying now.

It's a similar concept though. The guy had an awesome game and everyone is super excited about it. He was phenomenal and deserves the attention as a #1 pick and being as polarizing as he is. There is nothing surprising about everyone's reactions. And no one is saying he is a future hall of famer, everyone is just hyping him up to be a young stud with mad potential.

niel89
09-12-2011, 05:30 PM
I just finished downloading this game so I'm pretty excited to see how he actually did. I personally don't really like him, but you can't write off 400 yard.

SchizophrenicBatman
09-12-2011, 10:54 PM
Yes, I've seen at least one person that seems to be arguing for Clausen in this thread and heard a guy on my local radio station this morning. Newton only looked good because Arizona sucks and Steve Smith is super human. Clausen and Anderson apparently only played good pass defenses last year, and Steve Smith and Larry Fitzgerald must have been injured for every game they started.

there isnt a single person in carolina who wants clausen to ever play again. i dont know where miaoww is from or if he's even a real person because his thoughts on the subject put him in a minority smaller than the idiots who wanted jake delhomme back

and fwiw, the local radio I listened to on my commute to charlotte (station is in Greensboro tho) had some guy claiming Newton was a top 5 QB in the league today (he justified it with future value argument, peyton doesnt count cuz hes injured, etc but still a ridiculous opinion) so let's just say this board isnt the only place jumping to conclusions

Ness
09-12-2011, 10:58 PM
I can't remember the last time a team was glorified for losing a game so much. Or rather, talked about. I obviously know why, but it's a shame how the media likes to pick favorites. No one is talking the ball club that actually won the game. But of course Cam Newton throwing for 400 yards is a better story, which is what the media will jump on.

ShutDwn
09-13-2011, 12:46 AM
I can't remember the last time a team was glorified for losing a game so much. Or rather, talked about. I obviously know why, but it's a shame how the media likes to pick favorites. No one is talking the ball club that actually won the game. But of course Cam Newton throwing for 400 yards is a better story, which is what the media will jump on.

The Cardinals won the game on three huge plays. The Panthers really blew the game, they controlled most of it. I didn't really see their offense do much in terms of consistently moving the ball but Kolb made the big plays so kudos for that.

Ness
09-13-2011, 12:59 AM
The Cardinals won the game on three huge plays. The Panthers really blew the game, they controlled most of it. I didn't really see their offense do much in terms of consistently moving the ball but Kolb made the big plays so kudos for that.

Still though they won the game. Really, if it was the Jaguars Arizona played and McNown threw for the same amount of yards and had the same game Newton had, I doubt there would be such a hoopla.

Rosebud
09-13-2011, 01:07 AM
Still though they won the game. Really, if it was the Jaguars Arizona played and McNown threw for the same amount of yards and had the same game Newton had, I doubt there would be such a hoopla.

Well Cam Newton was a controversial first overall pick doing that in a record breaking rookie debut while McNown is a journey man who'd be doing that in what is likely a fluke game whereas with Newton there's much more mystery over how much this game proves a harbinger of things to come or whether it would to prove a fluke game. So you can't really blame the media for giving more attention to a more interesting story that more people would care about.

fenikz
09-13-2011, 01:21 AM
I like how everyone is just brushing it off because its against the Cardinals. Cam was making some amazing throws and any normal QB ends up with about 9 sacks on the day but he was just throwing guys off him. His throws on deep outs are simply unstoppable

Ness
09-13-2011, 01:50 AM
Well Cam Newton was a controversial first overall pick doing that in a record breaking rookie debut while McNown is a journey man who'd be doing that in what is likely a fluke game whereas with Newton there's much more mystery over how much this game proves a harbinger of things to come or whether it would to prove a fluke game. So you can't really blame the media for giving more attention to a more interesting story that more people would care about.

Right, it's just the media has no respect for the integrity of the game sometimes. Obviously money makes the world go round, but at the same time showing highlights of Newton throwing for 400 yards in a loss is kind of disrespectful to the Arizona Cardinals.

bucfan12
09-13-2011, 01:58 AM
Listen, no disrespect to Newton. He played great for a rookie making his first start. But honestly, if we're too base this on him "being a Super-STar", then we might as well start saying the Steelers have no shot at the playoffs or division because of that blowout.

Come on people. It's week 1. Some teams were hurt by the lockout. Some teams weren't. Some teams don't have much tape to go on for certain QBs (Cam), and some matchups weren't great. I mean, come on. Any one watch that SF/Seattle game? THat might have been the worst showing by two offenses and teams overall I've seen this week. Besides the ridiculous returns from Ginn late in the game, there was no quality play at all in that game.

ellsy82
09-13-2011, 02:04 AM
Listen...I don't know how the kids gonna do the rest of the season. But he looked damn good in that game. I'd be pretty confident going forward as a Carolina Panther fan. Its certainly a sense of hope for a struggling franchise.

Caulibflower
09-13-2011, 06:47 PM
Any one watch that SF/Seattle game?

Yes... barf.

37 total yards of offense in the first half for Seattle? I don't care if it's week one- fire somebody for that. I don't even care who. Bates would do.

FUNBUNCHER
09-13-2011, 08:18 PM
Well....I don't have the stat, but if there is one I'd bet there is a super-high correlation between rookies who break positive statistical records in their first NFL game who then go on to become very good/elite NFL players.

People here for the most part are giving Cam credit for doing something unprecedented in his first NFL contest, but the mediots as a whole it seems are kinda brushing it off, like Newton had a really 'nice' game but no big deal.

Is 422 yards passing, 64% completions 2 TDs/ 1 INT on 37 attempts for a guy many thought was beyond raw as a passer coming into the league a run of the mill event??

Is 400 yards passing the 'new' 300 yard game??lol

Maybe it's because we've seen guys with his skillset come into the NFL but who ultimately struggled to become elite QBs.

IMO Cam is so far ahead where any of them were as passers at this stage, that comparison to other recent dual threat QBs no longer applies.

I think it's time to stop comparing NEwton to VIck/Russell/Culpepper/VY/McNabb and start wondering aloud if he has more in common with Steve Young/Staubach/Elway/Roethlisberger.

I'm really curious to see how Newton follows up against GB.

Caulibflower
09-13-2011, 08:51 PM
I think it's time to stop comparing NEwton to VIck/Russell/Culpepper/VY/McNabb and start wondering aloud if he has more in common with Steve Young/Staubach/Elway/Roethlisberger.

Guffaw. You mean, if he's more like a white quarterback?

BlindSite
09-13-2011, 09:24 PM
Not to reach for lofty comparisons, and he's still a world away, but he looked a heck of a lot like Roethlisberger is terms of how he shifted in the pocket away from blitzers and stood tall to deliver passes under pressure.

He had moments of issues but for the most part, he was every bit as hard to rattle and bring down in the pocket as big ben is. He even drilled a deep out to LaFell off his back foot at one stage and it was on a rope, that's hard for anyone to do.

I'm looking forward to the next couple of weeks. Rather than the GB game, though they'll blitz the ba-jesus out of him, I think the Chicago game is going to be the real test, especially after what they did to atlanta this past week.

FUNBUNCHER
09-13-2011, 09:51 PM
Guffaw. You mean, if he's more like a white quarterback?

The race angle was incidental on my part, just an attempt to highlight the dual threat guys who figured it out on the next level, and those who still struggled to make the transition.

Actually I should have included McNabb and probably Randall Cunningham in the 2nd group. They didn't win SBs, but they both were among the top 10 at their position at different points during their careers.

Caulibflower
09-13-2011, 10:13 PM
The race angle was incidental on my part, just an attempt to highlight the dual threat guys who figured it out on the next level, and those who still struggled to make the transition.

Actually I should have included McNabb and probably Randall Cunningham in the 2nd group. They didn't win SBs, but they both were among the top 10 at their position at different points during their careers.

Yeah, I didn't think you meant to do that. I don't really see a McNabb comparison, though. Throughout his career McNabb was generally thought of as an athlete playing quarterback, (albeit well), who did most of his damage improvising and extending plays while struggling with his accuracy and composure in clutch situations. That's just never what we've seen from Newton, in college or last week. Newton is decisive with the ball and consistently improves with pressure. I see some Randall Cunningham in his game, but Randall was much more slippery and whippier than Newton. Physically, I think he's an improved version of Daunte Culpepper, as far as his raw skill set goes; Culpepper, though, greatly benefitted from the talent he had around him. Newton doesn't have that in Carolina, and he was basically his entire offense at Auburn. Don't really see Steve Young, either. Scrambler, yeah, but a totally different kind. The size difference between the two is enormous, and you have to factor that into the way they play. Cam's going to make more throws with guys hanging off of them than Steve Young did; Young was more about having an uncanny sense of pressure, balance, and a cat-like ability to be in one place one moment and another the next, in addition to the yards he got running the ball. I still think the best comparison is Ben Roethlisberger, with the added dimension of his running ability. The huge size, the athleticism and strength in the pocket, the consistency while being pressured, the big arm, accuracy while rolling out, keeping cool and making plays when the called one fails... lots of similarities there. Lots of room to improve, of course, but he's a more dangerous Roethlisberger-type. And I say that meaning there's more ways he could potentially hurt you, not that he's "arrived" as an NFL QB. He may just continue the way he started, but we all know that's unlikely. Wouldn't surprise me as much as some people, but that's because I've liked him as a pro QB since I first saw him playing at Auburn. I don't think the Roethlisberger comparisons are going to be meaningful for very much longer, though. That's the closest one, but Newton's going to be doing his own thing.

FUNBUNCHER
09-13-2011, 10:21 PM
Yup. Agreed.

Rosebud
09-13-2011, 11:55 PM
Right, it's just the media has no respect for the integrity of the game sometimes. Obviously money makes the world go round, but at the same time showing highlights of Newton throwing for 400 yards in a loss is kind of disrespectful to the Arizona Cardinals.

Really? This is a game played by grown ass men who paid millions of dollars a year because people pay to watch them play. This is entertainment, if the Cards are a less entertaining story can't really fault the media for focusing more on the first overall pick's play in a loss.

BlindSite
09-14-2011, 12:31 AM
Really? This is a game played by grown ass men who paid millions of dollars a year because people pay to watch them play. This is entertainment, if the Cards are a less entertaining story can't really fault the media for focusing more on the first overall pick's play in a loss.

Call me a homer, but the Cards weren't that much better than Carolina. There were two big, big mistakes in the secondary you wouldn't get with the proper training camp and a punt return that was just ****** coverage where two guys literally just watched peterson run by.

The Cards did well to win and deserved the W but showing cams highlights isn't that much disrespect Kolb aside from 2 long touchdowns didn't exactly wow anyone watching the game.

Ness
09-14-2011, 02:59 AM

Since when was it the players fault of the how the financial evolution of the game has progressed? Players didn't demand that the NFL start making more money. That was par for the course as the years have gone by. Just like with everything else in America over the course of the 20th century. The business has just evolved that way. Money has nothing to do with it. Especially the amount. For the players that is in terms of how the business has grown.

It would be interesting to see Trey Wingo's response to someone like Darnell Dockett if he were to ask why ESPN is talking more about Cam Newton.

"Sorry Darnell, your team just isn't that interesting as 1st overall pick Cam Newton even though you won the game."

billybeejr
09-14-2011, 06:03 AM
I'm a big Cam Newton fan. I was expecting that he would struggle in his first week after seeing him in the preseason. I don't think even his biggest supportes could have predicted this. Now let's see how he does with the nfl's worst team from last year against the best (granted neither team is the same a year later). If Newton doesn't look pathetic against GB it will be a win for his supporters. Caper is gonna blitz the hell out of him. I think a good ass kicking the next couple of weeks is exactly what Cam needs going into the future. He'll be more motivated to get to the level of a guy like Rodgers or even Cutler. The next few years will be interesting, to say the least, with Cam Newton. One of the most fun to follow prospects ever imo.

tjsunstein
09-14-2011, 08:35 AM
Six pages in one week. Can't wait to look back on this thread for some sig quotes.

FUNBUNCHER
09-14-2011, 09:41 AM
Six pages in one week. Can't wait to look back on this thread for some sig quotes.

The only thing over-the-top about this thread is the title IMO.

If Newton and the Panthers manage to BEAT GB, expect a thread a week about how Cam is the greatest pro QB prospect EVA!!lol

tjsunstein
09-14-2011, 09:45 AM
The only thing over-the-top about this thread is the title IMO.

If Newton and the Panthers manage to BEAT GB, expect a thread a week about how Cam is the greatest pro QB prospect EVA!!lol
There are plenty over the top comments in this thread, and you were the one who started it.

Cam Newton = The Revolution.... You wrote that.

There is no difference between this thread and the hypothetical one you mentioned. They're one in the same.

Cam Newton will finish Sunday's game with a completion percentage under 60%, and more INTs than TDs.

FUNBUNCHER
09-14-2011, 10:04 AM
If Newton beats GB, he deserves a thread a week.

Bengalsrocket
09-14-2011, 10:10 AM

If he has better stats than Rodgers, I'm going to send a letter to the NFL asking for them to stop wasting time with this season and just crown the Panthers champions.

LonghornsLegend
09-14-2011, 07:59 PM
I actually think their should be way less talk of how bad the secondary is for Arizona, and alot more talk about how ridiculous this game was with a lack of an off-season, coming from a spread offense, as a very raw QB. Who cares what defense it was? It was NFL teams throwing the kitchen sink at him, with very little time to master the playbook, and 400+ passing yards.

No way I'm gonna discredit that performance by talking about the defense being bad. Of course he'll have an up and down rookie season, but for me, some things like looking to throw instead of run, going through progressions, and making the difficult out throws, those aren't going anywhere. They will only get better with time.

It would be completely different if he was running half the time for 1st downs where you could say he was just using his athleticism, but it's just unreal how bad he had looked throwing the ball in the pre-season at times, to when the lights came on he could throw it so well.

fenikz
09-14-2011, 08:26 PM
NFL admitted the ref blew the call on his 2nd INT(technically the 1st he threw), Marshall's hit wasn't illegal or late. So truly Newton should have about 330 yards 1 TD 2 INT

Sucks for Daryl Washington 2 INT in the 1st game of year would of been nice

mau5
09-14-2011, 08:38 PM
NFL admitted the ref blew the call on his 2nd INT(technically the 1st he threw), Marshall's hit wasn't illegal or late. So truly Newton should have about 330 yards 1 TD 2 INT

Sucks for Daryl Washington 2 INT in the 1st game of year would of been nice

meh, who cares. Still would have been impressive. People aren't impressed just because of his stats(even though they were awesome) they are more impressed by how he actually played.

And this thread isn't about Daryl Washington. Who cares

fenikz
09-14-2011, 08:39 PM
hating on d-wash how dare you

A Perfect Score
09-14-2011, 08:40 PM
I'd still love to hear any sort of analysis on how his footwork, progressions, etc. looked. So far, all I've found anywhere is ZOMGZ CAM NEWTONZZZ

fenikz
09-14-2011, 08:41 PM
I have no clue about footwork but he seemed fine going through progressions didn't force many passes and if he did they were to a spot only his WR could get it

ShutDwn
09-14-2011, 10:09 PM
I'd still love to hear any sort of analysis on how his footwork, progressions, etc. looked. So far, all I've found anywhere is ZOMGZ CAM NEWTONZZZ

The numbers aren't what give me the most optimism about his future, it was how he looked on those things you listed. He was strong in the pocket and calm. He was on the road in a loud stadium and he basically shut the place up before the defense failed and got their energy going. He had some pressure to avoid and he made tough throws.

If I remember right, the play-byplay announcer said that before the end of the last drive when he missed 3 straight passes, he hadn't thrown consecutive incompletions.

gpngc
09-15-2011, 01:01 AM

Watched the whole game. His fundamentals were phenomenal. He read the defense and went through his reads like a ten-year vet. Sure his footwork isn't the best but he always kept his eyes down field and made the right decision about 80% of the time. He didn't run for some reason.

He threw the deep out and and deep crosses and deep curls like ******* Kurt Warner. It was unreal.

EDIT: And he did this without any running game. And the Cards were getting pressure on him.

Saints-Tigers
09-15-2011, 01:46 AM
His footwork came apart on quite a few plays and he was still right on target... which is extra scary but could be good and bad. Might lead to more bad habits because good things came from it, but the dude drilled some hard passes off his back foot.

Ness
09-15-2011, 01:48 AM
His throwing motion was really quick and impressive. I didn't notice it in the preseason, but watching highlights it looked really nice and quick. Went over his shoulder in a very vertical fashion like Warren Moon used to do.

D-Unit
09-15-2011, 01:54 AM
I think people still doubt Cam Newton because they didn't believe in him during the draft process. ...now after his amazing debut... it must be burnin' pretty bad.

Anxious for this GB game. He could get ripped apart and all this love could go down the drain. Love the way he plays the game though. SUPASTAH!!!

Ness
09-15-2011, 01:56 AM
Mvp! Mvp! Mvp!

Caulibflower
09-15-2011, 02:36 PM
I need for Rich Eisen to always call him "The Iconic Cam Netwon."

tjsunstein
09-15-2011, 02:53 PM
This thread needs Sunday's game to be over.

Jvig43
09-15-2011, 04:21 PM
This thread needs this season to be over.

Fixed it for truth.

DraftSavant
09-15-2011, 04:48 PM

As far as footwork is concerned, it's sloppy, awkward, and looks robotic because he's trying too hard instead of using muscle memory. Not unlike watching someone learn to try and dance for the first time.

Scary thing is, though, is that it didn't really effect his accuracy.

descendency
09-15-2011, 07:03 PM

If he even plays well enough to be competitive with GB, everyone should be required to buy Newton jerseys.

FUNBUNCHER
09-18-2011, 12:23 PM
BUMP.

You know the rest!!lol

First drive - 6/6, 90 yards, TD. Nice first drive rookie.

descendency
09-18-2011, 12:35 PM
6/7*

*Jeremy Shockey dropped a wide open out...

LonghornsLegend
09-18-2011, 12:51 PM
As far as footwork is concerned, it's sloppy, awkward

Haven't seen this, but hey, maybe people see games differently.

Caulibflower
09-18-2011, 01:05 PM
I wish my quarterback could shrug off Clay Matthews.

FUNBUNCHER
09-18-2011, 01:16 PM
Stop throwing picks to Charles Woodson, rookie.

tjsunstein
09-18-2011, 01:32 PM
13/21 181 yards 1 TD 1 INT

Superstar.

FUNBUNCHER
09-18-2011, 01:40 PM
13/21 181 yards 1 TD 1 INT

Superstar.

Yup. Those are stats for a HALF, not the game.

He's going to end up passing for 300+ yards and at least 2 TDs against GB.

Jvig43
09-18-2011, 02:13 PM
Youre boy is looking like a superstar right now.

Da-Phins
09-18-2011, 02:15 PM
15/27 215 yards 1 TD 3 INT

Cam is in God mode today folks. He's money with the Packers secondary today.

FUNBUNCHER
09-18-2011, 02:18 PM
3 INTs. Ouch.

Jvig43
09-18-2011, 02:20 PM
3 INTs. Ouch.

Yeah ouch. Now you know why we don't jump onto someone's dick after a few good plays.

FUNBUNCHER
09-18-2011, 02:23 PM
Cam is still a SUPASTAR rookie. NFL superstar?? NOt yet.

What's the big deal about talking up a player??? We're dealing in opinions at best anyway.

Any player you think is the 'best' at his respective position, there are at least 50 posters willing to argue that you couldn't be more wrong.

I like what Cam has shown so far, even with the turnovers. But I really do hate INTs more than anything by a QB.

niel89
09-18-2011, 02:30 PM
Cam Newton = The Revolution. He quickly turns his offense around with another INT.

From SUPASTAR to Rookie SUPASTAR to Rookie eventually.

Hate everlasting.

:p I'm just giving you a hard time.

Complex
09-18-2011, 02:32 PM
He hasn't been playing great but he is not playing awful. He just needs to learn that its okay to check down or throw it away instead of going for the big play.Not having a running game doesn't help.

FUNBUNCHER
09-18-2011, 02:39 PM
Cam Newton = The Revolution. He quickly turns his offense around with another INT.

From SUPASTAR to Rookie SUPASTAR to Rookie eventually.

Hate everlasting.

:p I'm just giving you a hard time.

I deserve that!!lol

Gotta know you're going to get called on it when you talk much rainbow ******** about a player.

niel89
09-18-2011, 02:41 PM
In all honesty he is still playing pretty damn well considering how raw he was supposed to be. Its only his second game for a player that was supposed to be considered a semi-project. To come in and cement himself as the starter is big.

ChiFan24
09-18-2011, 02:56 PM
This board is completely ******* incapable of having a rational conversation about this guy.

FUNBUNCHER
09-18-2011, 03:05 PM
No miracle today for Cam!:(

SolidGold
09-18-2011, 03:06 PM
back to life...back to reality

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB54dZkzZOY&ob=av3e

LonghornsLegend
09-18-2011, 03:12 PM
This board is completely ******* incapable of having a rational conversation about this guy.

Pretty much. Fun isn't it? Here let me join in....

Cam Newton is gonna throw for 6000 yards this season. Book it. Yall mad???

Breed
09-18-2011, 03:13 PM
No miracle today for Cam!:(

Kinda like last week, he can't win in the NFL.

FUNBUNCHER
09-18-2011, 03:13 PM
28/46, 432 yds, 1 TD/3 INTs, one rushing TD late.

That's still impressive, two consecutive 400+ passing yard games.

Breed
09-18-2011, 03:15 PM
What is impressive about throwing 3 ints?

FUNBUNCHER
09-18-2011, 03:19 PM

You tell me.
I don't think anyone was saying that.

San Diego Chicken
09-18-2011, 03:22 PM
Yeah he threw 3 picks, but at least he has the gumption to make those throws. Clausen was curling up into a ball last season and still throwing picks because he had no competitive spirit.

He looks great, just needs to work on the accuracy, footwork and to get that running instinct out of his head in the red-zone. But the guy is a competitor and the team believes in him, you can tell.

nobodyinparticular
09-18-2011, 03:48 PM
Yeah he threw 3 picks, but at least he has the gumption to make those throws. Clausen was curling up into a ball last season and still throwing picks because he had no competitive spirit.

He looks great, just needs to work on the accuracy, footwork and to get that running instinct out of his head in the red-zone. But the guy is a competitor and the team believes in him, you can tell.

Gumption that leads to 3 picks and 2 losses? Sure kid, have all the gumption you want. Just don't expect to win many games.

The good QBs in the league and the winning teams in the league take care of the football.

Splat
09-18-2011, 03:48 PM
This board is completely ******* incapable of having a rational conversation about any player.

Fixed for you.

nobodyinparticular
09-18-2011, 03:49 PM
Fixed for you.

I can agree with this to a certain extent. Remember the epic Peppers-Osi flame wars 4 years ago?

FUNBUNCHER
09-18-2011, 03:56 PM
Gumption that leads to 3 picks and 2 losses? Sure kid, have all the gumption you want. Just don't expect to win many games.

The good QBs in the league and the winning teams in the league take care of the football.

Go take a look at Peyton's stats his rookie season.
Manning threw 100 INTs his first 5 seasons in the NFL.
Learning when/when not to throw the football is all a part of the process.

Cam is a two game NFL vet, he's right on track for where he needs to be IMO.

No QB in NFL history has started their pro career with two back to back 400+ yard passing games.
Nice.

San Diego Chicken
09-18-2011, 04:08 PM

What exactly are you trying to say? Nobody goes into the game saying 'I want to throw interceptions'. But you can't play scared either. Newton isn't tossing the ball up into triple coverage, he's not careless with the football. Was that your point?

The stage isn't too big for Newton and he'll accept the responsibility on his shoulders. If I'm his head coach I'll live with the interceptions if he's giving our team a chance to win, and for 3 1/2 quarters they were in the game with arguably the best team in the league.

LonghornsLegend
09-18-2011, 04:21 PM
Redundant thread is redundant.

nepg
09-18-2011, 04:23 PM
I love how the haters are actually overreacting more than the huggers, and chastising the huggers for overreacting.

ElectricEye
09-18-2011, 04:23 PM
I love how we break down the discourse of this conversation into haters and huggers and don't have anything of value to talk about in the end.

yo123
09-18-2011, 04:24 PM
Thank you. I ******* hate that you can't have an opinion on anything anymore.

ChiFan24
09-18-2011, 04:27 PM
Fixed for you.

Well yeah, but Cam especially. Pro-Cam people have to make ridiculous hyperbolic statements about his greatness and anti-Cam people won't even hear of discussing the 900 passing yards in two close losses. Everyone's so concerned with looking smart about their pre-draft evaluation of the guy that they can't have a rational conversation. It's REALLY ******* annoying.

FUNBUNCHER
09-18-2011, 04:27 PM
When is someone gonna start a Detroit Lions thread about them being a 'TEAM OF DESTINY' this season??
Or am I gonna have to get that jumpoff started too??lol

Seriously I like the Lions a lot this year.

nepg
09-18-2011, 04:30 PM
I love how we break down the discourse of this conversation into haters and huggers and don't have anything of value to talk about in the end.
Because there's nothing to talk about. Newton plays on a ****** team and put up big yards in 2 games while making both games close, but also making mistakes a young QB is going to make. That's cool.

nepg
09-18-2011, 04:32 PM
Thank you. I ******* hate that you can't have an opinion on anything anymore.
Opinion? Meh... The thread is clearly mostly divided between people who want him to fail and people who want him to succeed - mostly based on whatever strange and most likely unfounded opinion they had of Newton going into the draft. Doesn't sound like healthy opinions to me.

ElectricEye
09-18-2011, 04:33 PM
Because there's nothing to talk about. Newton plays on a ****** team and put up big yards in 2 games while making both games close, but also making mistakes a young QB is going to make. That's cool.

It's also totally cool to violate the principals of objective discussion with ad-hominem ******** and instantly discredit anything that can be said.

I really don't care what your thoughts on Cam Newton are in this case. I'm not concerned with that strawman right now, but nice try with that. I'm directly referencing your "haters and huggers" just pure and unadulterated ********.

nepg
09-18-2011, 04:37 PM
It's not. When two sides of a debate are overreacting so horribly, I'm going to go ahead and label the sides as such. My opinion of Newton was that he was a potentially transcendent talent, but also had a lot of work to do. My opinion of him so far this season is that he's played really well and put a crappy team in position to win games, while also showing his youth at times. I actually give a lot more credit to the OC for putting Newton in a position to succeed.

tjsunstein
09-18-2011, 04:41 PM
28/46, 432 yds, 1 TD/3 INTs, one rushing TD late.

That's still impressive, two consecutive 400+ passing yard games.
The reason he gets so many yards are because not holding a lead. Garbage time, if you will.

There are plenty over the top comments in this thread, and you were the one who started it.

Cam Newton = The Revolution.... You wrote that.

There is no difference between this thread and the hypothetical one you mentioned. They're one in the same.

Cam Newton will finish Sunday's game with a completion percentage under 60%, and more INTs than TDs.
Page 6, written four days ago.
His completion percentage was 60.8%

ElectricEye
09-18-2011, 04:44 PM
Right.

That's completely fair. What isn't fair at all is not reading through the past few pages and seeing that sentiment almost echoed word for word aside from some jiving at FUNBUNCHER, which in all honesty, is probably deserved(admitted it himself).

The word "hater" is a blight on society. It sets the entire thing up for reactionary, divisive ********. You are doing no one any favors by using that word and the implications it brings on a discussion. We've already had that problem in this thread and advanced past it.

Breed
09-18-2011, 04:51 PM
So now a days if you're not all over a players jock strap you're qualified as a hater?

vidae
09-18-2011, 04:52 PM
I wasn't all that high on Cam before the draft but he has had two solid to good weeks. He's a rookie, but he's showing promise. I don't think I could be in either camp, so I'll be the guy who enjoys watching Cam play and leave it at that.

CJSchneider
09-18-2011, 05:37 PM
I hear crow tastes better with ketchup.

http://www.sogoodblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/ketchup.gif

I'm going to admit, Newton has done better than I thought(hoped) he would.

BigBanger
09-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Cam has been shockingly good. The Panthers play calling (refusing to even try and run the football despite giving one of their RBs 30 million guaranteed) is pretty stupid though. The INTs were pretty bad this week though, and the series inside the 10 yard line was terrible decision making, but that kind of play was expected.

FUNBUNCHER
09-18-2011, 05:58 PM
The reason he gets so many yards are because not holding a lead. Garbage time, if you will.

Those weren't garbage time yards accumulated in a blowout. Carolina was competing to win that game going into the 4th quarter. You talk as if GB was playing prevent D the entire 2nd half.

The reason Newton has to throw for so many yards is because they can't get their running game on track.

Give that dog a bone, tjsunstein.
Cam is not the QB any of us thought he was, even his biggest cheerleaders.

BTW, I think most fans aren't really emotionally invested in Cam one way or the other, they're just watching to see how the 1/1 pick in the draft performs game to game.

J-Mike88
09-18-2011, 06:31 PM
I watched every play of Newton this week, unlike last week.

He started the day today carving the Packers up like Brees did last week, or Brady did to the Minnows last week.

But what I noticed on the early drives, and the rest of the game, was that Newton was phenomenal when he had all day to pass.
But anytime there was some pressure, or he thought there was pressure and he hurried his throw, that's when Cam looked like the rookie that he is.

LonghornsLegend
09-18-2011, 06:44 PM
Anyone catch the Under Armour jacket in the post game interview? Haha. Advertising at it's finest. It works though, and that's the world we live in, but you can see it's already in motion and watch the sales start to blow up as he becomes a more popular and successful player.

ChiFan24
09-18-2011, 06:56 PM
I thought Andy Dalton would suck coming out of TCU. He's played well so far.

See how easy it is to admit when you might be wrong instead of denying things that are clearly happening right in front of you? It makes you look like less of an idiot in the long run.

Ness
09-18-2011, 06:57 PM
Newton looked great in another loss. Wish we had his ass. The funny thing is that Carolina was the worst team in the NFL last season, but look how much better Newton has made their offense. It's like night and day.

LonghornsLegend
09-18-2011, 06:58 PM

What you were saying wasn't anything bold. Most rookies throw for under a completion percentage of 60% and more INT's then TD's versus a very good defense. I don't get what you were trying to say.

bucfan12
09-18-2011, 07:37 PM
From one of those comments before, his yardage wasn't "garbage time " stats. They were still in the game when he had 365 yards or so?

I'll admit, when he was drafted, I didn't think he had the mental aspect of the game to be a great passer in the NFL. I thought at first he'd have success like a Vince Young and give defenses problems with his legs.

However, I am impressed at the poise he's showed and the throws he's made. He's a better passer than I gave him credit for. Yes, the INTs are going to build up. He's a rookie who really didn't have a full off-season. He's going to have good games, and he'll mos likely have other bad games as well. But he's showing promise. If he keeps hitting the film room, the mental aspects will click with his phyical talent, which can make him a super star in this league.

gpngc
09-18-2011, 07:40 PM
1000 yards of offense in two games (1 against the defending champs)?

PFFF. Call me when you do something impressive.

tjsunstein
09-18-2011, 08:03 PM
What you were saying wasn't anything bold. Most rookies throw for under a completion percentage of 60% and more INT's then TD's versus a very good defense. I don't get what you were trying to say.
I was merely stating the obvious when everyone else was ready to put him in Canton.

tjsunstein
09-18-2011, 08:05 PM
1000 yards of offense in two games (1 against the defending champs)?

PFFF. Call me when you do something impressive.
Like win a game...

Stat champion of the world, but can't put a 1 in the win column. Not that it's been his fault but the object of the game is to win at the end of the day and his play today hindered that from happening today for Carolina.

He looks impressive, sometimes. Has his moments, and more than any other rookie usually does but I'm not ready to crown him anything yet.

Ness
09-18-2011, 08:06 PM
From one of those comments before, his yardage wasn't "garbage time " stats. They were still in the game when he had 365 yards or so?

I'll admit, when he was drafted, I didn't think he had the mental aspect of the game to be a great passer in the NFL. I thought at first he'd have success like a Vince Young and give defenses problems with his legs.

However, I am impressed at the poise he's showed and the throws he's made. He's a better passer than I gave him credit for. Yes, the INTs are going to build up. He's a rookie who really didn't have a full off-season. He's going to have good games, and he'll mos likely have other bad games as well. But he's showing promise. If he keeps hitting the film room, the mental aspects will click with his phyical talent, which can make him a super star in this league.
Newton is looking so much better than Vince Young ever did. This guy is putting up Dan Fouts numbers. They just need to build around Newton a little more as times goes on.

Ness
09-18-2011, 08:07 PM
Like win a game...

Stat champion of the world, but can't put a 1 in the win column. Not that it's been his fault but the object of the game is to win at the end of the day and his play today hindered that from happening today for Carolina.

He looks impressive, sometimes. Has his moments, and more than any other rookie usually does but I'm not ready to crown him anything yet.

Let's not forget the Panthers were the worst team in the NFL last year.

gpngc
09-18-2011, 08:15 PM
Like win a game...

I'm ready to crown him the most impressive rookie QB ever through two games.

And standard projection is that rookies usually get better as their careers go on.

And you can't play the "stat champion but not a winner card" with him because of his incredible college career (led two national titles with different teams).

You wrote "can't" put 1 win up. Yes, that'll last how long? He was on the road at Arizona and they lost because of a punt return (and he was a yard and a half away from tying that game), and to the ******* defending champs.

EDIT:

And he's the biggest addition to a team that was ATROCIOUS last season and has now been competitive for two consecutive weeks. The defense still sucks, they have 0000000000000000000 running game besides Newton.

LonghornsLegend
09-18-2011, 08:18 PM
Let's not forget the Panthers were the worst team in the NFL last year.

To some people that's all they bank on is wins. Probably because Peyton Manning won so many games as a rookie.

OzTitan
09-18-2011, 08:18 PM
Newton is looking so much better than Vince Young ever did. This guy is putting up Dan Fouts numbers. They just need to build around Newton a little more as times goes on.

Vince Young's deep accuracy is probably the only comparison between the two. But even then that wasn't on display in 06 as a rookie. There is no doubt Cam is showing an entirely different skillset than VY and honestly any rookie QB in recent memory.

The NFL is funny like this sometimes though. Maybe in time it will be clear he isn't quite this pass skilled a QB at all once the team he is on has a little bit less of a "nothing to lose" attitude. Once a team's D starts to sure up and a division crown starts to look realistic, what is asked of a young QB can change quick - protect the ball, be efficient, be smart, be clutch. But then maybe Cam will adjust without issue - it's why we watch!

Ness
09-18-2011, 08:22 PM
Why the hell is their running game sucking so much?

LonghornsLegend
09-18-2011, 08:29 PM

That's a good question, but I still think Deangelo only had like 5 carries. They abandoned it way too soon, your rookie QB doesn't need to be throwing it nearly 50 times a game and expecting to win. There was one time late in the 4th the Panthers were inside the 5, and it was 3rd and 1. Clearly 2 down territory. Yet they call a pass play that they lose 3 yards on only to make the 4th down that much harder.

That's an easy play you run Stewart there, good chance of punching it in there or making the 4th down a bit easier. Their relying on him like he's been in the offense for 5 years, now a half of an off-season. I think they have got to get the ground game going, hard to be all of a sudden they can't run after running the ball for years now.

M.O.T.H.
09-18-2011, 08:35 PM
I dont know how you can realistically hate on the guy right now. This is just unreal what he is doing. Expecting him to carry the team to wins even...you'd be placing a higher standard on the guy than other rookie QBs. He'll make some mistakes, but the dude looks like a veteran already. It's just insane. Its been two games, but if you're still expecting Cam to bust, that would sound silly at this point. He's doing some special things, unseen from a rookie QB. Sky is the limit. I'm sold.

descendency
09-18-2011, 08:47 PM
To some people that's all they bank on is wins. Probably because Peyton Manning won so many games as a rookie.

That was the best 3 win team ever@@@@@@@@@

the new jesus
09-18-2011, 09:05 PM
Aaron Rodgers on Cam Newton: "That's impressive, it really is. To think about what I was thinking as a 21-year old rookie. Back-to-back 400-yard games. I'm just really impressed. I think someone said in the locker room, 'I'm kind of glad we played him early in the season opener because when he figures it out fully, he's going to be even tougher to stop.'"

Brent
09-18-2011, 09:07 PM
I was wondering why they were throwing. It wasn't as if they were behind by 21 or something.

descendency
09-18-2011, 09:14 PM

The green bay packers have the best 3 man line in the NFL for stopping the run. Book that.

edit: Panthers not Cam Newton, 11 rushes for 18 yards. Newton was 10 for 53.

Newton is the best QB, RB, and WR3 on his team.

SchizophrenicBatman
09-18-2011, 09:19 PM

so you just bumped a prediction that you were wrong about? good job

I, too, will admit that I have been wrong about Andy Dalton so far. I thought he was back up material at best and would look barely better than Clausen if he played as a rookie

SchizophrenicBatman
09-18-2011, 09:22 PM
The reason the run game looks bad is that the entire offense is catered towards the pass right now and DeAngelo is clearly a step slower than in the past. Whether that's a temporary thing or not I don't know. But Stewart had 100 receiving yards today so the RBs can still make an impact

LonghornsLegend
09-18-2011, 09:25 PM
so you just bumped a prediction that you were wrong about? good job

I, too, will admit that I have been wrong about Andy Dalton so far. I thought he was back up material at best and would look barely better than Clausen if he played as a rookie

Clausen should have been better, but he was dreadful. Dalton will be solid, I don't think he'll ever turn into a top 10 QB and maybe it's not fair to label him with that but he's a very smart, efficient QB that should have some success as a starter.

He's similiar to Colt McCoy to me in those regards. But with both those guys, you have to see how they handle the games vs Pittsburgh & Baltimore, in December, in the snow. That's what their division boils down to.

If the Panthers get back to running the ball I think you'd see Newton make alot less mistakes. 3 INT's for a rookie means nothing to me when your going to ask him to throw 40+ times. That's ridiculous.

SchizophrenicBatman
09-18-2011, 09:36 PM
I really dont know why people are even talking about the 3 INTs other than to try and troll people going nuts over him (which is hilarious since his blind haters are way worse than his blind fans). If youre a rookie who doesnt throw picks you probably suck and are afraid to throw down field. Josh Freeman threw 5 picks as a rookie in a game against the Panthers and has turned out ok

The difference between Dalton and McCoy is that McCoy has some mobility and (appeared to me at least) to be a bit more accurate. Dalton has a little better arm but it's still nothing special in terms of the NFL. I thought he was looking at a Jay Fiedler/AJ Feeley type of career as his upside and that looks pretty foolish so far

Then again, maybe the NFL is just totally f'd up right now and with a true offseason next year and Bill Polian playing a season without Peyton Manning leading to the repeal of some rule changes we'll see some of these players exposed in the future

Brown Leader
09-18-2011, 09:56 PM
A week after throwing for 422 yards -- most in league history by a rookie in his professional debut -- Newton topped himself by setting an NFL rookie record for passing yardage in a game. He passed for one touchdown and also ran for a 4-yard score with 37 seconds left to bring Carolina (0-2) within seven, but the Packers (2-0) recovered the onside kick to seal the victory.

The NFL said Newton had also set a league record for most passing yards in the first two games of a career (854).

Yeah ouch. Now you know why we don't jump onto someone's dick after a few good plays.

Like win a game...

Don't be these guys.

Jvig43
09-18-2011, 10:04 PM
I'm curious as to your explanation of why not to be me? I would love to hear it.

Raiderz4Life
09-18-2011, 10:23 PM
I'm curious as to your explanation of why not to be me? I would love to hear it.

Because obvious his 800+ yds > winning

Saints-Tigers
09-18-2011, 11:11 PM
Ya'll can't be serious.

shinzo123
09-18-2011, 11:30 PM
Cam Newton threw 3 picks lets trade him he is obviously garbage.

My God the trolls in this thread....

nobodyinparticular
09-18-2011, 11:30 PM
Don't be these guys.

So you think throwing interceptions is a good thing? You think winning teams don't win the turnover battle?

I would love to see a stat of how many teams have won a game with their QB throwing 3 picks. I don't freaking give a damn about Cam Newton. I have a problem with people lauding Cam Newton or any QB for this fictional element called "gumption" or "gun slingerness" when it leads to interceptions.

If you're my QB, have all the swagger and courage you want, but in the end, I expect you to take care of the ball and make good throws. That throw for the last INT was absolutely horrible. I don't care if you're Cam Newton, Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf, you're going going to get reamed in the film room for that pass if I'm your coach.

FUNBUNCHER
09-18-2011, 11:46 PM
But he's a rookie. You can't 'ream' your rookie QB for throwing INTs.

It's not like he was throwing the ball into double and triple coverage, Cam was late on a couple of out throws and I believe one was a tipped ball.

Everyone wants their QB IMO to be intelligent AND aggressive, take chances but don't force plays that aren't there.

Harping on his INTs is kinda nit picky.
Relevant yes, but a little too myopic considering the entire 'big picture'.

Jvig43
09-18-2011, 11:59 PM
Hahaha you can't yell at Cam Newton for throwing interceptions. The interceptions are just nitpicking, whats really important are TEH YARDS!

Raiderz4Life
09-18-2011, 11:59 PM
But he's a rookie. You can't 'ream' your rookie QB for throwing INTs.

It's not like he was throwing the ball into double and triple coverage, Cam was late on a couple of out throws and I believe one was a tipped ball.

Everyone wants their QB IMO to be intelligent AND aggressive, take chances but don't force plays that aren't there.

Harping on his INTs is kinda nit picky.
Relevant yes, but a little too myopic considering the entire 'big picture'.

You want to ream him because he is a rookie. You have to get on him about it so he knows not to make a stupid throw like that again. You can't just say "Oh well, you're Cam Newton, superstar rookie QB, you threw 3 picks and 1 was an absolutely horrible throw, but we'll let you slide...keep it up"