PDA

View Full Version : Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee (SO)

Leon Sandcastle
09-12-2011, 01:13 PM
Anyone want to educate me on Tyler Bray? I need education.

DoughBoy
09-12-2011, 01:29 PM
best 6'6 120 pound QB ever.

CashmoneyDrew
09-12-2011, 01:32 PM
He needs to add weight. Strong arm, not Mallett strong, but good enough to make every throw. His accuracy has improved since last season and he seems to be going through his reads better. Surprisingly mobile in the pocket.

If he keeps adding weight and staying on what seems to be a natural course of progression with his game, he should be a first round pick. Maybe even after his junior season.

ElectricEye
09-12-2011, 03:07 PM
Probably my favorite Sophomore QB in the country. He throws a real good ball. As mentioned, he does really need to put some weight on though. He seems to be a naturally skinny guy, but he'll need some extra mass to survive NFL hits.

shylo3716
09-12-2011, 05:19 PM
best 6'6 120 pound QB ever.

cough! cough! SOAKING WET!!!

shylo3716
09-12-2011, 05:19 PM
#1 QB candidate for 2013 is all I can say.

TitanHope
09-12-2011, 07:10 PM
Braysus is probably the greatest human being to ever exist, and we should all be thankful for him dieing for our football sins.

Oh, and those two WR's of his... They're kinda ok. :)

Brent
09-12-2011, 08:36 PM
wait, he's listed at 210? having watched that last Tenn. game, I don't buy that.

Scott Wright
09-12-2011, 08:52 PM
Tylerzzzzz?

TitanHope
09-12-2011, 08:55 PM
wait, he's listed at 210? having watched that last Tenn. game, I don't buy that.

I think he's really about 190 lbs.

Tylerzzzzz?

Don't belittle the Braymaker like that, Scott.

Brent
09-12-2011, 08:58 PM
Don't belittle the Braymaker like that, Scott.
Rider of Brayhan?

BRAVEHEART
09-12-2011, 09:01 PM
Sleeper recruit, showed out at elite 11, picked up by Kiffin when he missed out on Jesse Scroggin s& Chase Rettig, and will probably end up being better than both. I've been on the bandwagon for awhile, but Justin Hunter makes him look a lil better than what he really is (IMO).

TitanHope
09-12-2011, 09:04 PM
Rider of Brayhan?

Brayly legal!

Brent
09-12-2011, 09:41 PM
Brayly legal!
Brayhemian
Brayski
Braydeo
Braysicle
Braynnasaurs Rex
Brayseph
Brayfessor
Brayhammad
Abrayham Lincoln

Byrd430
09-12-2011, 11:55 PM
*Hates the talk of Volunteer prospects*

Bray has really impressed me since snatching Simms job as the QB. He's without a doubt, the best QB in UT, among the best in the SEC (is that saying much?), and will be a solid QB who can make some big plays.

With that being said, I just don't see him succeeding in the NFL at the moment. Can things change in two years? Sure. But, it will take a lot for him to change my mind.

SchizophrenicBatman
09-13-2011, 12:13 AM
http://kentuckysportsradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/tylerbray.jpg

Byrd430
09-13-2011, 12:13 AM
My nephew's name is BRAYlen.

ElectricEye
09-13-2011, 12:14 AM
http://kentuckysportsradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/tylerbray.jpg

Jesus. As much as I like Bray, that's pretty rough.

TitanHope
09-13-2011, 12:18 AM
That tattoo is awesome. You guys obviously don't know class when you see it.

With that being said, I just don't see him succeeding in the NFL at the moment. Can things change in two years? Sure. But, it will take a lot for him to change my mind.

Mind explaining why you think this? Because I'm not sure how you've reached this conclusion given Brayday's sample size.

ElectricEye
09-13-2011, 12:24 AM
Tom BRAYdy

Ok, that's mine. But yeah, I'm curious as well. There's still a lot left to determine about Bray, but the early goings are promising.

TitanHope
09-13-2011, 12:30 AM
Tom BRAYdy

Ok, that's mine. But yeah, I'm curious as well. There's still a lot left to determine about Bray, but the early goings are promising.

Bray doesn't deserve to be put in the same sentence as Tom Brady... He deserves to be put in his actual name!

We need to make a database for these. A Braytabase, if you will.

Byrd430
09-13-2011, 12:46 AM
That tattoo is awesome. You guys obviously don't know class when you see it.

Mind explaining why you think this? Because I'm not sure how you've reached this conclusion given Brayday's sample size.

I agree with the extremely small sample size, and I am a Bray fan (as much as I can be a fan of a Vol player).

He looked great so far this season (Montana, Cincy) and he threw for 300+ last season against Memphis, Ole Miss, and Kentucky. He's yet to face a true top team as a full-time starter. The toughest team he's faced, UNC, he looked good in throwing 300+ and 4 TD's, but he also threw 3 picks and they lost the game.

He also threw 7 INT's in his last three games last season, against....Vandy, Kentucky, and UNC.

Those kind of stats don't exactly invigorate me. Yes, he has given this team a spark and he's one of the best QB's in the SEC at the moment, but I need to see an explosive game against good competition with limited mistakes.

JHL6719
09-13-2011, 02:32 AM
I don't think it's a stretch to say that the Gators defense should probably be abraid of him Saturday.

Best young passer I've seen in Knoxville since Brayton Manning.

ellsy82
09-13-2011, 02:33 AM
Anyone want to educate me on Tyler Bray? I need education.

Pfft. Really?

TitanHope
09-13-2011, 05:14 AM
I agree with the extremely small sample size, and I am a Bray fan (as much as I can be a fan of a Vol player).

He looked great so far this season (Montana, Cincy) and he threw for 300+ last season against Memphis, Ole Miss, and Kentucky. He's yet to face a true top team as a full-time starter. The toughest team he's faced, UNC, he looked good in throwing 300+ and 4 TD's, but he also threw 3 picks and they lost the game.

He also threw 7 INT's in his last three games last season, against....Vandy, Kentucky, and UNC.

Those kind of stats don't exactly invigorate me. Yes, he has given this team a spark and he's one of the best QB's in the SEC at the moment, but I need to see an explosive game against good competition with limited mistakes.

True, but many of those mistakes can be attributed to him being a true freshmen playing on a bad team. And I think that's the vein this needs to be seen through. The guy was a freshmen and got shoved out of the nest, and not only stayed afloat, but went 4-1 as a starter. Yeah, the teams weren't world beaters, but this is a team that earlier in the season had to beat UAB in double overtime...in Neyland. His first start was on the road at Memphis, and he threw 5 TD's and the offense puts up half a hundred. The next week, he has 3 TD's and helps put up half a hundred again. To beat poor competition is one thing, but to dominate them despite being so inexperienced was impressive.

The UNC game was a good barometer. Before then, he played garbage minutes against Bama and thrown to the wolves against South Carolina (and while he struggled against Bama, he actually did ok against SCAR), so this was the first upper tier defense he got to really prepare for. And I thought he was great passing. He was making long, accurate passes all game, and had a 50+ yard TD pass to Da'Rick - all through the air. They should have won that game but UNC was allowed to tie it up despite committing a foul at :01 left on the clock - from now on there will be a 10 second runoff in order to not allow that to happen. But he kinda has a gunslinger attitude, and threw 3 bad picks trying to force it in, including the pick at the end. But to be honest, I like the aggressiveness.

But I think having more to prove isn't enough to rule him out as a successful NFL QB, and holding the fact that he hasn't already dominated an elite defense against him is kinda unfair considering he's a true sophomore who's only had 7 starts, in my opinion. Especially so early in his career when he's shown so much promise already and has the prototypical tools for an NFL QB.

This Florida game is huge, but as Tyler said in an interview earlier this week, "Please remember that I am the punishment of Godů If the Gators had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon them." He then led the room of reporters in Brayer.

Brayton Manning

THIS GUY!

ElectricEye
09-13-2011, 12:37 PM
Yeah, I get that Bray still has a lot to prove...but it's still so damn early. Maybe people are getting carried away a bit(I myself am not above that), but I'll take what he did as a true freshmen every day of the week. The vast majority of first round quarterbacks in years past have done the same or worse than Bray in their first year starting....or weren't even able to crack the starting lineup at all.

Basically, you have to give the guy a little bit of a brayk.

Ok, I'm done, I promise.

TitanHope
09-13-2011, 08:17 PM
Maybe people are getting carried away a bit(I myself am not above that), but I'll take what he did as a true freshmen every day of the week.

I don't think we're being brayzen at all here.

I SHALL NEVER BE DONE!

descendency
09-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Braytorade, anyone?

BamaFalcon59
09-14-2011, 10:33 AM
Early second round pick. Doubt he puts on enough weight for round one. GMs will be scared he'll brayk in the pros.

But by round three he'll be gone. Gone brayby, gone.

Getting a little ahead of myself, maybe I (and everybody else for that matter) should tap the braykes a little bit.

BamaFalcon59
09-14-2011, 10:34 AM
Braytorade, anyone?

I've heard he prefers coffee with his braykfast.

Ozzy
09-14-2011, 10:51 AM
So as of right now the knock on him is that he needs to add weight? Really? The guy is not 180 pounds he is around 205 to 210. In time he will put on 5-10 pounds and this is a completely non issue I feel. The fact he is so tall makes him look skinnier than he actually is. No all 6-6 QBs are 250 pounds.

Giantsfan1080
09-14-2011, 11:09 AM
McBray is already hyping him up over on ESPN.

descendency
09-14-2011, 05:44 PM
So as of right now the knock on him is that he needs to add weight? Really? The guy is not 180 pounds he is around 205 to 210. In time he will put on 5-10 pounds and this is a completely non issue I feel. The fact he is so tall makes him look skinnier than he actually is. No all 6-6 QBs are 250 pounds.

at 6'6, you should be 235-240, not 205. 230 at the absolute lightest. He's 6'6", not 6'2".

edit: That is what makes it an issue.

tjsunstein
09-14-2011, 05:55 PM
He has a year to put on weight, maybe more depending on when he comes out plus an NFL training camp. There's no bray he's not a 1st rounder, maybe even first QB taken when he declares.

If you're knocking him for his weight and not his skillset, you're bray out of line.

TACKLE
09-14-2011, 06:01 PM
i heard bradford is too skinny to play qb in the nfl....

ElectricEye
09-14-2011, 06:46 PM
Let's see...

Matt Stafford entered college football at 210, left at 230.

Joe Flacco entered college football at 190, left at 240.

Matt Ryan entered college football at 200, left at 225.

Jay Cutler entered college football at 200, left at 225.

Josh Freemen entered college football at 225, left at 250.

Sam Bradford entered college football at 190, left at 238.

Christian Ponder entered college football at 200, left at 230.

Jake Locker entered college football at 210, left at 230.

Cam Newton entered college football at 225, left at 250.

Andrew Luck entered college football at 215, will leave at 235.

Those are just fairly recent examples too. I feel pretty confident in saying the kid can add 20 pounds in two full seasons. He has three to do so if he chooses as well. Especially with a frame like that. He's a naturally skinny guy by the look of it, but it's kind of hard not to grow into being 6'6 over time. Again, SUPER early to evaluate Bray, so you can only do it in context....but you sort of can't anticipate he won't put on some weight given the track record of guys doing so. If he doesn't when the time comes, yeah, it's a legitimate concern...but projection counts for something.

vidae
09-14-2011, 07:21 PM
Eric Berry is probably the greatest human being to ever exist, and we should all be thankful for him dieing for our football sins.

Trying to make this accurate!

He has a year to put on weight, maybe more depending on when he comes out plus an NFL training camp. There's no bray he's not a 1st rounder, maybe even first QB taken when he declares.

If you're knocking him for his weight and not his skillset, you're bray out of line.

You are better than that.

JHL6719
09-14-2011, 08:28 PM
I find some of the content in this thread rather abraysive. He'll most likely add wayte to his frayme as his body matures.

BRAVEHEART
09-14-2011, 08:32 PM
He reminds of Derek Anderson bray back in his bray-day.

CashmoneyDrew
09-14-2011, 08:57 PM
Erik Ainge already took that comparison.

ElectricEye
09-14-2011, 09:05 PM
Erik Ainge already took that comparison.

...and pissed it. Seriously, I feel bad for the guy, but he wasted a lot of potential with all his personal issues.

CashmoneyDrew
09-14-2011, 09:11 PM
Exactly. Which is why Tyler Bray shall get a different comparison.

MetSox17
09-15-2011, 03:07 AM
Didn't Erik Ainge fall in love with one of the whores they hooked him up with on his recruiting visit to Tennessee? lulz

descendency
09-15-2011, 08:48 AM
Didn't Erik Ainge fall in love with one of the whores they hooked him up with on his recruiting visit to Tennessee? lulz

You'll always remember your first. . .

Ozzy
09-15-2011, 09:40 AM
ElectricEye Let's see...

Matt Stafford entered college football at 210, left at 230.

Joe Flacco entered college football at 190, left at 240.

Matt Ryan entered college football at 200, left at 225.

Jay Cutler entered college football at 200, left at 225.

Josh Freemen entered college football at 225, left at 250.

Sam Bradford entered college football at 190, left at 238.

Christian Ponder entered college football at 200, left at 230.

Jake Locker entered college football at 210, left at 230.

Cam Newton entered college football at 225, left at 250.

Andrew Luck entered college football at 215, will leave at 235.

Those are just fairly recent examples too. I feel pretty confident in saying the kid can add 20 pounds in two full seasons. He has three to do so if he chooses as well. Especially with a frame like that. He's a naturally skinny guy by the look of it, but it's kind of hard not to grow into being 6'6 over time. Again, SUPER early to evaluate Bray, so you can only do it in context....but you sort of can't anticipate he won't put on some weight given the track record of guys doing so. If he doesn't when the time comes, yeah, it's a legitimate concern...but projection counts for something.Where did you get these numbers at? Anyway I agree completely, this is a total non issue, the fact he is skinny, it is not that hard to put on weight, and even if he doesn't it is not the end of the world. Hit the gym a little bit and done.

If you do not like him as a prospect one should say that they think Bray is over hyped or you do not like his pocket presence or his touch on short passes. Not his flipping weight, I really doubt you have a Ken Dorsey on your hands, but regardless Bray has the arm and the arm strength, Dorsey failed not because of his weight but because of his weak arm....

ElectricEye
09-15-2011, 09:50 AM
I got them from recruiting sites. I admit, imprecise stuff, but it gives you a ballpark idea that weight really isn't a static thing.

bucfan12
09-15-2011, 01:57 PM
THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO WAY SAM BRADFORD IS 238 LBs. I'd say he's around 225-230 at the most.

Anyways, this kid has potential, but we're two games in. Let's see how he does against the better part of the SEC schedule before we declare him the top QB in 2013. He'll add weight. At 6'6, he has room to get to 240-245. Haven't watched much of him, but I'll see the important/bigger games.

ElectricEye
09-15-2011, 02:19 PM
Bradford has slimmed down some since entering the league. Most recent weight has him in the mid 220's. He got up to 238 for the combine though, the NFL has zero incentive to fudge that measurement either.

CashmoneyDrew
09-15-2011, 02:52 PM

Never heard that. Bryce Brown though...

tjsunstein
09-15-2011, 02:55 PM
THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO WAY SAM BRADFORD IS 238 LBs. I'd say he's around 225-230 at the most.

This is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen on this board. You're saying there's no way he's 8 pounds more than what you pin him at? With pads and everything, you have the eye test down to a science? No, s t f u. You're coming off stupid.

bucfan12
09-15-2011, 04:59 PM
This is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen on this board. You're saying there's no way he's 8 pounds more than what you pin him at? With pads and everything, you have the eye test down to a science? No, s t f u. You're coming off stupid.

He doesn't look that bulky. He looks more of a Mark Sanchez type who's 220-225. I think it'd be noticable if he were pushing 240. Stafford is what, 230-235 and he looks a lot more bulk than Bradford.

descendency
09-15-2011, 06:47 PM
Sanchez is 6'2".

Stafford is 6'2"

Sam Bradford is 6'4"

Roethlisberger (6'5"): 240.
Newton (6'5"): 245.
Joe Flacco (6'6"): 245
Ryan Mallett (6'6"): 240
Derek Anderson (6'6"): 235

ElectricEye
09-15-2011, 07:13 PM
Sanchez is 6'2".

Stafford is 6'2"

Sam Bradford is 6'4"

Roethlisberger (6'5"): 240.
Newton (6'5"): 245.
Joe Flacco (6'6"): 245
Ryan Mallett (6'6"): 240
Derek Anderson (6'6"): 235

We're not talking about height, we're talking about weight. All those guys, tall guys included, gained a significant amount of weight. The ones with the bigger frames gained much more, usually. We're talking about a 210 pound true sophomore. Chances are he'll follow a similar path to a lot of those guys. Shoot, he's already starting to. Gained 20 pounds since high school.

Plus...do we really know Bray is all of 6'6? You can usually skim an inch off listed heights. Much more common for a guy to measure a bit below their college listing than it is for them to measure up to it. I would be pretty surprised if he didn't measure closer to 6'5.

But yeah, time has taught me that when you are talking about an inch and five pounds, you're usually over analyzing haha. If he has the ability to play quarterback at a high level in the NFL, stuff like that isn't going to hold him back.

descendency
09-15-2011, 08:32 PM
All I'm saying is that it's delusional to think a guy as tall as Bray to think that he should weigh as much as a guy who is 4 inches shorter.

If he stays 2 years, I have no doubt he can weigh the 230-240 lbs he needs to.

ElectricEye
09-15-2011, 08:50 PM
I must have missed the part where anyone proposed that....

If you were responding to what I said, I wasn't saying that he should weigh the same as those guys, merely providing examples of quarterbacks who grew into their respective(and different) frames over the course of their college career.

I think 230 is the absolute floor for weight to be something you don't need to worry about. 225 is OK, but it's something that would be talked about for sure.

ElectricEye
09-17-2011, 07:38 PM
Final numbers versus Florida:

26/48, 288 yards, 3 TD's 2 INT's

Up and down game for Bray in his first start outside of the friendly confines of the Tennessee state line. I don't think he played as good as the numbers indicated. Florida committed a whopping 8 illegal contact penalties throughout the course of the game that kept the Vols on the field and kept giving Bray more opportunities to throw the ball. He threw two interceptions but very well could have thrown more as Florida defensive backs were not able to keep the ball in their hands on more than one occasion.

However, he didn't play as poorly as the numbers could have indicated either. Right off the bat, circumstances were stacked against Tennessee with one of college football's premier big play threats going down on the first completed pass of the game. The absence of Justin Hunter completely changed the complexion of the game and the way the Gators were able to approach the defense. A good deep threat can really cover up for some of the inadequacies of an offense in the running game and the receivers playing around it....and that brings me to the running game. It was AWFUL today. Vols finished with 21 rushes for -9 yards today. The worst part was they really didn't realize it wasn't working until near the middle of the second quarter, when the score was 16-0 and should have been even higher in Florida's favor. So when Bray finally did star throwing (I think he had 8 attempts at this point), everyone in the building knew it was coming and had no incentive to respect anything else.

With Hunter's absence, the majority of the attention went to the talented, but undeniably raw Da'Rick Rogers. He didn't really deliver. By my count, he dropped four passes on Bray. Most of them were closer to the line of scrimmage than you would prefer for a guy with that kind of size to speed ratio as he's not a guy who can generate good separation on corners in spite of his physical skills. We also had one of those rare situations where the play of the center greatly threw off the offense. He made a few nice plays with how physical he can be and after the catch, but he really should be much better than he hurt Tennessee as much as he helped them today.

James Stone consistently snapped the ball on the ground and really sabotaged plays before they even started. In particular, one of the series in the red zone early in the second half stood out like a sore thumb. With first and 10 inside the 25(correct me if I'm wrong, going from memory), stone snapped the ball about ten yards down the field and almost outside of the tackle box, drastically changing field position. He followed that up with another low snap to Bray's feet and really wasted two plays. Bray did a pretty good job coping with this, to his credit. On a play similar to the ones I mentioned early in the red zone right before half time, he scooped up a snap at his feet and got the ball out on a laser to Martin Lane with a quick release.

Bray's main problem in the game was inconsistent accuracy. His arm is as strong as advertised, if not stronger even. He can really put the ball wherever it needs to be and in a hurry with his quick release. But his accuracy and ball placement were on and off. He seems to have a pretty good overall feel for the passing game in the mold of most good quarterbacks. You can tell that he's not just a pure thrower already at this point....but he still has a ways to go accuracy wise. This was particularly evident when he had to rush through thing due to pressure. He made some curious decisions when he had to think quickly as well. Got the ball out on time and quickly, but he really tried to fit some balls into places where there just wasn't room.

He did some stuff very well too. As I've mentioned several times, his mechanics are pretty good. His footwork and delivery are very good. Not a guy who is going to need a mechanical overhaul. His delivery is a little unconventional as he throws down from the side a bit, but it's quick and compact and he can probably continue to get away with it at 6'5+, similar to the way Phillip Rivers is able to. As far as footwork goes, he's able to evade the rush from within the pocket and extend the play in spite of the fact he's not a gifted natural athlete. That's a big thing for me in today's NFL. He demonstrates the ability to get through his progressions quickly make good reads, especially when given the time to do so. His arm strength is exceptional. Wouldn't expect it from a guy quite that skinny, but he just throws a very, very good ball with good velocity. Bray knows when he needs to use a bit more finesse too. He needs to get better at that, but he recognizes when to take something off a ball, particularly within the first ten yards. He's getting coached in a pro style system where he needs to earn every single completion as opposed to one that piles up yardage on bubble screens and defensive ineptitude, so the adjustment to the pro game shouldn't really be quite the hurdle that it is for some.

So yeah, if I had to give him a grade for this game specifically, it would probably have to be in the C range. He kept Tennessee in the game the entire time, but he just wasn't able to overcome the loss of Justin Hunter. That's not all his fault, but he wasn't able to overcome to odds and elevate his level of play either. A large part of that seemed to be coaching. The Vols looked shell shocked after Hunter went down and really didn't seem to have anything in the gameplan to help them get pasted that. But going forward, you've got to feel pretty good about Tyler Bray assuming he continues to improve and develop. Singling one thing out, I would like to see him throw receivers open more and demonstrate command over the middle of the field. He can make the throws that require a high degree of difficulty, but he needs to do a better job of creating and finding easy ones.

TitanHope
09-17-2011, 09:04 PM
And early prognosis on Hunter is "there's no indication he's okay," per Dooley.

And now I am the dead. /wrist

ElectricEye
09-17-2011, 09:05 PM
And early prognosis on Hunter is "there's no indication he's okay," per Dooley.

And now I am the dead. /wrist

Hate to break it to you buddy, but that looked like a ligament :/

TitanHope
09-17-2011, 09:15 PM
Hate to break it to you buddy, but that looked like a ligament :/

Yeah, I've already been preparing myself since it happened. He went down grabbing his knee and not a soul touched him. I've been around long enough to know what I just saw, and my face turned white as a ghost.

What makes it worse is he's a star track athlete - possibly Olympic good. And he willingly risked his career in that to play football.