PDA

View Full Version : Hey Let's all start claiming people super stars/super champs after week 1...

bucfan12
09-14-2011, 12:22 AM
Have at it.

Rosebud
09-14-2011, 12:23 AM
JPP is a superstar and Linval Joseph might be on his way. Hakeem Nicks is to, but we already knew that.

V.I.P
09-14-2011, 12:23 AM
Ben Tate..

Raiderz4Life
09-14-2011, 12:24 AM
Raiders D-line

NotRickJames
09-14-2011, 12:24 AM
Raiders Finna Win The Super Bowl Omg.

yo123
09-14-2011, 12:25 AM
Ummmmm......uhhhh.........Adrian Peterson?

Notredameleo
09-14-2011, 12:37 AM
Calvin, Stafford, Suh, Tulloch......all hall of famers, obviously.

Complex
09-14-2011, 12:44 AM
U mad there wasn't a Josh Freeman thread the 1st week of the NFL season?

Hurricanes25
09-14-2011, 12:45 AM
Obviously Cam Newton and the Washington Redskins.

vidae
09-14-2011, 01:05 AM
DaQuan Bowers was the steal of the 2011 draft omgsies

bantx
09-14-2011, 02:35 AM
Jacob the white horse Hester is a stud

bantx
09-14-2011, 02:35 AM
dubbbleeee

Razor
09-14-2011, 04:09 AM
Matt Slater...

Wait what?

Anyways, Nate Solder will be a top OT in the league.

DoughBoy
09-14-2011, 06:51 AM
Calvin, Stafford, Suh, Tulloch......all hall of famers, obviously.

Tulluch is god awful. Just give him a few more games.

OzTitan
09-14-2011, 07:14 AM
Grossman = the new Brees.

Bengalsrocket
09-14-2011, 07:33 AM

^^. Wasn't it the Bucs fans who went nuts over Freeman after less than a season when he started getting good?

tjsunstein
09-14-2011, 08:30 AM
The Buffalo Bills.

Shane P. Hallam
09-14-2011, 08:35 AM
Grossman = the new Brees.

Please. Grossman= the new Montana.

Canadian_draft_fan
09-14-2011, 08:47 AM
Just letting you know that I have been hired to plan the SB parade route through Washington, D.C.

killxswitch
09-14-2011, 08:52 AM
I don't have much to say but I do think Drake Nevis will be a good player.

ImBrotherCain
09-14-2011, 08:54 AM
Aaron Rodgers is the SEX

Jvig43
09-14-2011, 08:55 AM
Romo is a superstar.

General Zod
09-14-2011, 09:21 AM
I want to do the opposite....

You know that one player who is a stud but had one quiet game....

"Well, I've been saying all along how he is overrated"

But really you never said any such thing.

Da-Phins
09-14-2011, 09:23 AM
The opposing QB's against the Dolphins defense will end the season combined for 60,000 yards.

Jvig43
09-14-2011, 09:24 AM
The opposing QB's against the Dolphins defense will end the season combined for 60,000 yards.

Pffft not with the best secondary in the league.

tjsunstein
09-14-2011, 09:41 AM
Aaron Rodgers is the SEX
Aaron Rodgers is pedestrian compared to Canton Newton.

AntoinCD
09-14-2011, 09:50 AM
Tom Brady is one of the best QBs in the AFC East!!!! FACT

Shane P. Hallam
09-14-2011, 09:52 AM
Tom Brady is one of the best QBs in the AFC East!!!! FACT

I'll say this, he is one of the four best in the AFC East.

papa burgundy
09-14-2011, 10:05 AM
NaVorro Bowman and Ray McDonald are the best ILB and DE on the 49ers!!!!!

Complex
09-14-2011, 11:20 AM
^^. Wasn't it the Bucs fans who went nuts over Freeman after less than a season when he started getting good?

I think it might have been after his first good game of that season.

Jvig43
09-14-2011, 11:25 AM
I'll say this, he is one of the four best in the AFC East.

That's only because Newton isn't in the division.

A Perfect Score
09-14-2011, 11:29 AM
http://www.panhistoria.com/Stacks/Novels/Character_Homes/HomeImages/S536.jpg

Oh wait, I'm pretty sure I meant...

http://www.nflpassers.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/large_FLACCOOO.jpg

Leon Sandcastle
09-14-2011, 11:33 AM
What's up with Keannu Reeves playing OSU QB's though? He blew the Sugar Bowl in The Replacements and he was a ex OSU QB who flamed out and turned into an FBI Agent in Point Break.

Leon Sandcastle
09-14-2011, 11:34 AM
Jairus Byrd is the 2nd best Safety in the NFL behind Ed Reed. Troy Polamalu suckzzz!

A Perfect Score
09-14-2011, 11:43 AM
Jairus Byrd is the 2nd best Safety in the NFL behind Ed Reed. Troy Polamalu suckzzz!

Truer words, never been spoken. He was horrid on Sunday against the Ravens. Got burned several times and missed a slew of tackles. Every time it happened I couldn't help but think to myself "Ladies and gentlemen, there's your NFL Defensive Player of the Year." What a terrifically overrated player.

Leon Sandcastle
09-14-2011, 11:44 AM
Truer words, never been spoken. He was horrid on Sunday against the Ravens. Got burned several times and missed a slew of tackles. Every time it happened I couldn't help but think to myself "Ladies and gentlemen, there's your NFL Defensive Player of the Year." What a terrifically overrated player.

And the Steelers are old.

killxswitch
09-14-2011, 11:48 AM

Overrated is over the top. Getting older, for sure. We'll see how he does the rest of the year.

A Perfect Score
09-14-2011, 12:18 PM
Overrated is over the top. Getting older, for sure. We'll see how he does the rest of the year.

I've been maintaining he's been overrated for years. For all the terrific plays he makes, the guy sure ***** up more then any other top tier player I've seen.

vidae
09-14-2011, 12:36 PM
I can confirm that APS has been saying Polamalu has been overrated for a long time. He has said it more than once in IRC over the years.

Of course, he's a Ravens fan, so he's full of ****!

A Perfect Score
09-14-2011, 12:44 PM
I can confirm that APS has been saying Polamalu has been overrated for a long time. He has said it more than once in IRC over the years.

Of course, he's a Ravens fan, so he's full of ****!

HEY VIDAE, WHERE IS ERIC BERRY RIGHT NOW?!?!?!

...sorry, that was uncalled for.

vidae
09-14-2011, 12:45 PM
HEY VIDAE, WHERE IS ERIC BERRY RIGHT NOW?!?!?!

...sorry, that was uncalled for.

Now I'm just really sad. :( :(

A Perfect Score
09-14-2011, 12:47 PM
Now I'm just really sad. :( :(

I tried to plus rep you after I said that cause it was mean, but it says I have to spread some around before giving it to you again. Still friends? Remember when you were right about Jamaal Charles and Ray Rice? That will cheer you up.

Da-Phins
09-14-2011, 01:01 PM
Chad Henne is the white Mike Vick.

Watchman
09-14-2011, 02:46 PM
All I know is that it will be interesting to see who wins the Luck sweepstakes between ATL and PIT.

niel89
09-14-2011, 02:50 PM
Ravens are going to force 112 turnovers this year!

Complex
09-14-2011, 02:58 PM
The Titans have 4 shut down corners in Alterraun Verner,Jason McCourty,Cortland Finnegan and Tommie Campbell. We will win a championship by running a dime defense 100% of the time in 2012.

Razor
09-14-2011, 03:02 PM
NaVorro Bowman and Ray McDonald are the best ILB and DE on the 49ers!!!!!

I'll give you a conditional 6th rounder for Willis then.

bucfan12
09-14-2011, 04:47 PM
San Fransisco has the best defense in the NFL. . I mean, they shut down those mighty Seahawks offense, led by the great Travaris Jackson.

Oh, and BTW, there was no thread of "Josh Freeman=Super Star" after one game last year. Unlike some fans that put one about Cam Newton.

Not hating on Cam Newton, but I've seen so many fans on this board labeling him a super star after 1 game. He's got great potential, but it's too early. The best is people are saying Kevin Kolb was worth every penny. Really? I mean, not to be harsh, but Arizona and Carolina might both have the worst secondaries in this league.

Jvig43
09-14-2011, 04:50 PM
There was like all of two people saying he was a super star, not an entire fan base. Everyone else is just making fun of them, sort of like last years INJURIEZZZZ

nepg
09-14-2011, 04:54 PM
I see the Bucs fans are in mid-season form already.

tjsunstein
09-14-2011, 05:23 PM
There was like all of two people saying he was a super star, not an entire fan base. Everyone else is just making fun of them, sort of like last years INJURIEZZZZ
What happened to that team with the injuriez? Joke's on you suckers.

But seriously, it was only downplayed by other fans because the Packers kept winning gamesz. Therefore, the injuries, sorry, injuriez, didn't seem as significant as time went on.

TACKLE
09-14-2011, 05:25 PM
my team is better than your team....

seriously.

FUNBUNCHER
09-14-2011, 05:57 PM
Oh, and BTW, there was no thread of "Josh Freeman=Super Star" after one game last year. Unlike some fans that put one about Cam Newton.

Not hating on Cam Newton, but I've seen so many fans on this board labeling him a super star after 1 game. He's got great potential, but it's too early. The best is people are saying Kevin Kolb was worth every penny. Really? I mean, not to be harsh, but Arizona and Carolina might both have the worst secondaries in this league.

I think you are a little bit, but it's cool. Josh Freeman wasn't the #1 pick in the NFL draft. Josh Freeman won his first game as a starter, but it's impossible to compare what Freeman did statistically to Cam's first NFL game.

If Freeman performed the way Newton did in his first NFL game, I'm sure more than a few Bucs fans would have hyped him.

The thread title was facetious, not a literal declaration of fact.
Take it as you will.
Because if Michael Jordan and King James' momma had a baby, their child would be Cam Newton!!!!!

tjsunstein
09-14-2011, 06:02 PM
Because if Michael Jordan and King James' momma had a baby, their child would be Cam Newton!!!!!
I thought they already did and it was LeBron...

Edit: Post 11,111

bucfan12
09-14-2011, 06:06 PM
I think you are a little bit, but it's cool. Josh Freeman wasn't the #1 pick in the NFL draft. Josh Freeman won his first game as a starter, but it's impossible to compare what Freeman did statistically to Cam's first NFL game.

If Freeman performed the way Newton did in his first NFL game, I'm sure more than a few Bucs fans would have hyped him.

The thread title was facetious, not a literal declaration of fact.
Take it as you will.

Cam Newton has all the tools physically. What he needs to do is keep studying and keep making good/quick decisions and he'll be fine. This is a great start to his career, but the biggest thing is he's going to have to deal with his rough patches against better teams. We'll see how he handles it. Green bay should be a good observation this week.

Jvig43
09-14-2011, 06:32 PM
What happened to that team with the injuriez? Joke's on you suckers.

But seriously, it was only downplayed by other fans because the Packers kept winning gamesz. Therefore, the injuries, sorry, injuriez, didn't seem as significant as time went on.

No joke is on us, no one made the joke at the expense of the team, only the expense of the people continuously saying it in all seriousness. And the injuries werent as serious as packer fans made it out to be, you had like what, three actual big contributers out?

tjsunstein
09-14-2011, 07:08 PM
No joke is on us, no one made the joke at the expense of the team, only the expense of the people continuously saying it in all seriousness. And the injuries werent as serious as packer fans made it out to be, you had like what, three actual big contributers out?
I honestly don't know how big of contributors they really were if we won the Super Bowl without them, and there's no way to say.

I'm not making this thread about Packers' Injuriez any more than it is now so I'll stop. But for the record, of course you're going to think losing who we did lose would hurt more at the time and throughout the course of the season more than it did. It's all speculation at the time, but when we kept winning, everyone took the next injury lightly because it didn't seem to have an effect on the W/L column. I don't see Giants injury jokes. My theory? Because they're negatively impacted so far whereas the Packers didn't seem to miss a beat. It's like making a cancer joke to someone that beat it opposed to someone who is losing the battle.

LonghornsLegend
09-14-2011, 07:11 PM

Obviously the irony between this, and who started the thread was ridiculously funny to me.

Job Reborn
09-15-2011, 06:56 AM
Irony....?

no bare feet
09-15-2011, 07:05 AM
The Kansas City Chiefs have injuries.

JHL6719
09-15-2011, 07:37 AM
Anyone notice the flash cards the Panthers were holding up for Cam last week?

A Perfect Score
09-15-2011, 08:31 AM

Hand signals are hard.

Actually I didn't see that, but it made me laugh regardless.

killxswitch
09-15-2011, 09:00 AM

Did they really?

I guess, if it looks stupid, but it works, it isn't stupid.

shinzo123
09-16-2011, 12:14 AM
Mike Tolbert Ssupppaahhsttarrrr

yodabear
09-16-2011, 12:33 AM
My team sucks!

FUNBUNCHER
09-16-2011, 12:45 AM

Somehow I think that would have been a story on ESPN.

Did you see flashcards??

Saints-Tigers
09-16-2011, 12:50 AM

I think your incessant whining about how bad/annoying everyone else is, is far more annoying than the fans bitching about injuries.

prock
09-16-2011, 02:04 AM
I think your incessant whining about how bad/annoying everyone else is, is far more annoying than the fans bitching about injuries.

There is some truth in this.

But when it comes to Packerz and injuriezzzz, they brought it all on themselves. Like a billion players on IR, I have no idea how they won without Morgan Burnett!

Breed
09-16-2011, 02:20 AM
My team sucks!

They do not, the Eagles are just Super Bowl bound. You guys will back against G-men.

tjsunstein
09-16-2011, 07:40 AM
They do not, the Eagles are just Super Bowl bound. You guys will back against G-men.
Eagles and Super Bowls don't really go hand in hand. Not exactly an easy year to get through the NFC.

JBCX
09-16-2011, 09:00 AM
Eagles and Super Bowls don't really go hand in hand. Not exactly an easy year to get through the NFC.

The Eagles were a shoestring tackle, or touchdown pass in the red zone, away from beating the Super Bowl champ Packers last year. And this year, the Eagles got a lot better, whilst the Packers got worse defensively (lost C.Jenkins and M.Neal) and slightly better offensively (J. Finley - R.Grant is no better than Starks).

tjsunstein
09-16-2011, 09:54 AM
The Eagles were a shoestring tackle, or touchdown pass in the red zone, away from beating the Super Bowl champ Packers last year. And this year, the Eagles got a lot better, whilst the Packers got worse defensively (lost C.Jenkins and M.Neal) and slightly better offensively (J. Finley - R.Grant is no better than Starks).
Hypotheticals are great right?

The Eagles are even more overrated than they were last year. They have no OL, LBs, or Safeties. I mean 3 CBs and an undersized D-Line is cool and all but it's not a complete defense by any stretch of the imagination. It's a couple of individuals.

JBCX
09-16-2011, 12:06 PM
Hypotheticals are great right?

The Eagles are even more overrated than they were last year. They have no OL, LBs, or Safeties. I mean 3 CBs and an undersized D-Line is cool and all but it's not a complete defense by any stretch of the imagination. It's a couple of individuals.

Undersized D-Line? Antonio Dixon is 6'2" 325+ lbs, and Cullen Jenkins is 6'3" 292lbs. Trent Cole is 6'3" 270lbs, and Jason Babin is 6'2" 265lbs. How is that undersized for a 4-3? Let's talk about the Packers' Defensive Line for a minute. Right now, with Cullen Jenkins playing on the Eagles and Mike Neal injured, they basically have big fat Ryan Pickett who is incapable of generating any pass rush and is purely a run-stuffing Big Body, and BJ Raji. Now, I like Raji as a player, but realistically speaking, right now he's the only above-average (in both phases - pass rush and run-stopping) defensive lineman the Packers can play. That's not good. The Eagles can rotate Cullen Jenkins, Mike Patterson, Antonio Dixon, and Trevor Laws on the interior of their defensive line. Every one of those DTs is capable of generating pass rush and Patterson and Dixon are both elite run-stopping DTs as well. Additionally, the Eagles rotate Jason Babin, Daryll Tapp, Trent Cole, Juqua Parker and Phillip Hunt on the ends. Each one of these is an above-average pass rusher, and Parker and Cole are both elite run-stopping DEs as well. The Packers, on the edges, because they play a 3-4, rely on the OLBs to fulfill this role and as of right now, the only above-average OLB the Packers have is um, Clay Matthews? Now, Matthews is a good player, but compare one good player to a rotation of 4 or more.

No OL? Did you watch the Eagles-Rams game? The OL played very well. The few times the Rams got pressure was when they blitzed with a CB, LB or S and an Eagles RB/TE failed to make a block or Vick failed to recognize the blitz. The OL consistently got push in the running game, and blocked the DL very well. Jason Peters is better than anything the Packers have at OT, and Todd Herremans, thus far, has played well at RT. The interior OL is athletic and great in the running game, and decent in the pass-blocking.

The safeties are adequate. Kurt Coleman and Jarret Page were not liabilities at all in the Rams game. What do the Packers have at this position? Nick Collins and a player who has made 1-2 starts in the NFL (Burnett)? Neither Page nor Coleman are elite players, but as long as they are not liabilities, it's not really a problem for the defense.

Sure, the LBs are an inexperienced group, but if you haven't noticed, the least important part of a 4-3 defense is the LBs. This is not a 3-4 in which the OLBs need to be skilled pass rushers and cover men. The 4-3 LBers only need to be adequate in run support and occasionally cover a TE or a RB in the flat. Everything else is gravy. The Eagles will play a nickel defense for most of the game anyway, as do the Packers, and in that formation, there are only two LBers on the field anyway.

tjsunstein
09-16-2011, 12:33 PM
Undersized D-Line? Antonio Dixon is 6'2" 325+ lbs, and Cullen Jenkins is 6'3" 292lbs. Trent Cole is 6'3" 270lbs, and Jason Babin is 6'2" 265lbs. How is that undersized for a 4-3? Let's talk about the Packers' Defensive Line for a minute. Right now, with Cullen Jenkins playing on the Eagles and Mike Neal injured, they basically have big fat Ryan Pickett who is incapable of generating any pass rush and is purely a run-stuffing Big Body, and BJ Raji. Now, I like Raji as a player, but realistically speaking, right now he's the only above-average (in both phases - pass rush and run-stopping) defensive lineman the Packers can play. That's not good. The Eagles can rotate Cullen Jenkins, Mike Patterson, Antonio Dixon, and Trevor Laws on the interior of their defensive line. Every one of those DTs is capable of generating pass rush and Patterson and Dixon are both elite run-stopping DTs as well. Additionally, the Eagles rotate Jason Babin, Daryll Tapp, Trent Cole, Juqua Parker and Phillip Hunt on the ends. Each one of these is an above-average pass rusher, and Parker and Cole are both elite run-stopping DEs as well. The Packers, on the edges, because they play a 3-4, rely on the OLBs to fulfill this role and as of right now, the only above-average OLB the Packers have is um, Clay Matthews? Now, Matthews is a good player, but compare one good player to a rotation of 4 or more.

No OL? Did you watch the Eagles-Rams game? The OL played very well. The few times the Rams got pressure was when they blitzed with a CB, LB or S and an Eagles RB/TE failed to make a block or Vick failed to recognize the blitz. The OL consistently got push in the running game, and blocked the DL very well. Jason Peters is better than anything the Packers have at OT, and Todd Herremans, thus far, has played well at RT. The interior OL is athletic and great in the running game, and decent in the pass-blocking.

The safeties are adequate. Kurt Coleman and Jarret Page were not liabilities at all in the Rams game. What do the Packers have at this position? Nick Collins and a player who has made 1-2 starts in the NFL (Burnett)? Neither Page nor Coleman are elite players, but as long as they are not liabilities, it's not really a problem for the defense.

Sure, the LBs are an inexperienced group, but if you haven't noticed, the least important part of a 4-3 defense is the LBs. This is not a 3-4 in which the OLBs need to be skilled pass rushers and cover men. The 4-3 LBers only need to be adequate in run support and occasionally cover a TE or a RB in the flat. Everything else is gravy. The Eagles will play a nickel defense for most of the game anyway, as do the Packers, and in that formation, there are only two LBers on the field anyway.
Basically, the Eagles are Super Bowl Champions. Pretty on par for this thread so well done, sir.

You're making all of your observations from a game against the Rams without Jackson for nearly all of it and Bradford threw the ball more than 10 yards how many times? That's why the Safeties weren't liabilities.

Your elite running stopping DTs over there let up an average of 6 yards per carry, to basically two Jackson runs and Cadillac thereafter. Pretty elite stuff.

Do you really think Jason Peters is good or was that a joke? He's one of, if not the most, overrated T in the league. For what it's worth, Rodgers was sacked twice and Vick three times since we're basing everything off of one game now. Attribute that to whatever you would like. That OL will be exposed.

You even named the Packers having an elite player at every level of the defense and countered with the Eagles above average players at DE. As long as the Safeties weren't liabilities against the high powered Rams then they must be good, right?

One of the biggest overreactions to one game I've ever seen. My opinion hasn't changed about the team or their fans.

yodabear
09-16-2011, 01:17 PM

I can hope my man, I can really hope. With Jackson being injured I do not like our chances.

niel89
09-16-2011, 02:56 PM
Would I rather have an elite guy like Clay Mathews, or a rotation of good players like the Eagles?

I'll take the elite player every time.

I have very little confidence that the Eagles DL will be able to stop the run consistently at this point.

Complex
09-16-2011, 03:06 PM
Trent Cole is not elite?

tjsunstein
09-16-2011, 03:19 PM
Trent Cole is not elite?
Depends how far you want to stretch the word elite to. There's Peppers, Abraham, Freeney, Allen, and Tuck.

Regardless, the Packers have an elite player at every level of their defense. Raji on the line, Matthews at LB, and Woodson/Collins in the secondary. You could argue that Tramon Williams is as elite as Trent Cole but that is beside the point. The Eagles have Cole (elite for the sake of the discussion) and Nnamdi, (DRC and Asante are no elite and I don't think anyone would argue that) every one of their LBs and S is average or below it. The D-Line is good but not good enough to mask the LBs. The Eagles will get run on and will continue to get beat that way. If the Rams had any kind of passing threat in their offense, a playaction would have killed the Eagles like it did in the preseason against the Steelers. Every team on the Eagles schedule watched that preseason game over and over again. That's the blueprint to beat them and it will continue to succeed until Casey Matthews plays more like Clay.

PoopSandwich
09-16-2011, 03:35 PM
Joe Haden IS GOOD.

Rosebud
09-16-2011, 04:41 PM
Would I rather have an elite guy like Clay Mathews, or a rotation of good players like the Eagles?

I'll take the elite player every time.

I have very little confidence that the Eagles DL will be able to stop the run consistently at this point.

Clay was a monster last year, but if he slows down I think it's really close. Trent Cole is an excellent top pass rusher who can put up a huge season himself, especially if the depth steps up in keeping him fresh and clean.

Trent Cole is not elite?

He is an excellent DE, but that doesn't mean that guys like Peppers, Clay, Allen, Tuck when healthy, Ware, Woodley and a couple others aren't even better than him. Still the rest of their rotation isn't exceptional although it's good and deep. I certainly wouldn't sneeze at that DE rotation since there's plenty of teams who'd be much better if the could trade DE corps, that said I'd still take a more dominant elite guy with less impressive complimentary guys like Dallas' rushers, the Bears Ends and the Packers pass rushers.

Not to be cocky, but this isn't the same type of rotation as the giants would have if our guys where healthy, where we wouldn't have just the one elite DE (Tuck), we'd also have a second elite pass rusher (Osi), a young monster who's making big plays despite still learning how to play (JPP) and Kiwi who can still be better than either Tuck and Osi if he settles in at LB without screwing with his ability to put his hand in the dirt on passing downs. That's a different kind of great depth than the Eagles crew.

Depends how far you want to stretch the word elite to. There's Peppers, Abraham, Freeney, Allen, and Tuck.

Regardless, the Packers have an elite player at every level of their defense. Raji on the line, Matthews at LB, and Woodson/Collins in the secondary. You could argue that Tramon Williams is as elite as Trent Cole but that is beside the point. The Eagles have Cole (elite for the sake of the discussion) and Nnamdi, (DRC and Asante are no elite and I don't think anyone would argue that) every one of their LBs and S is average or below it. The D-Line is good but not good enough to mask the LBs. The Eagles will get run on and will continue to get beat that way. If the Rams had any kind of passing threat in their offense, a playaction would have killed the Eagles like it did in the preseason against the Steelers. Every team on the Eagles schedule watched that preseason game over and over again. That's the blueprint to beat them and it will continue to succeed until Casey Matthews plays more like Clay.

Here's the issue with the NFL, while I'd certainly agree that Asante is not an elite CB, his performance last year was elite. If he manages to be as success(or lucky if you prefer) this next year than his impact would be elite. Now I don't think that'll happen, but if Aso can blanketing one guy, DRC can avoid getting burned and the pass rush delivers he could have another great year.

I do agree that the Eagles Run D will be their undoing, especially with that explosive offense I could see dominating the run and controlling the clock being the key to beating the eagles by limiting their opportunities to make plays on offense and thereby putting more pressure on them to make big plays when they do get on the field which could lead to a surprising amount of turnovers if a team can also keep from falling behind early.

JBCX
09-16-2011, 07:45 PM
To everyone citing the Eagles' run defense as a fatal flaw that will prevent them from being a good team... behold, the Packers of 2010 and number of rushing yards given up per game:

Week 1, @ Philadelphia: 149 yards, Win
Week 2, Buffalo: 124 yards, Win
Week 3, @ Chicago: 77 yards, Loss
Week 4, Detroit: 123 yards, Win
Week 5, @ Washington: 51 yards, Loss
Week 6, Miami: 150 yards, Loss
Week 7, Minnesota: 196 yards, Win
Week 8, @ New York Jets: 119 yards, Win
Week 9, Dallas: 39 yards, Win
Week 11, @ Minnesota: 93 yards, Win
Week 12, @ Atlanta: 117 yards, Loss
Week 13, San Francisco: 97 yards, Win
Week 14, @ Detroit: 190 yards, Loss
Week 15, @ New England: 113 yards, Loss
Week 16, New York: 90 yards, Win
Week 17, Chicago: 110 yards, Win

(http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/gnb/2010.htm)

Let's see: the Super Bowl Champion Packers of 2010 gave up the 5th most rushing yards per attempt in the entire NFL at 4.7 yards per attempt for the season (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2010/opp.htm). The only teams worse than the Packers at stopping the running game were the Jaguars, the Bills, the Broncos, and the Bucaneers. Those teams didn't make the playoffs, but the Packers went on to win the Super Bowl. Clearly, the Packers allowed themselves to be gashed in the running game by playing nickel defense frequently, but this obviously didn't hinder their ability to be a generally successful defense in both the regular season and the playoffs. The Eagles will similarly ignore the running game by playing nickel frequently and running a defensive scheme, that much like the Packers of 2010, focuses more on rushing the passer than stopping the run.

Also, if you will note from looking at the stats up above, some of their more gruesome rushing yardage totals came in, you guessed it - victories. I wonder why that is? Hmm, maybe stopping the run doesn't matter in today's NFL? That couldn't be it, could it? Maybe, uh, rushing the passer is far more important in today's NFL than stopping the run? Maybe the fact that the Green Bay Packers limited opponents to the lowest QB passer rating (due in no small part to playing nickel defense and rushing the passer while giving up ground in the running game) in the league last year was more important to their success than their (in)ability to stop the run?

gpngc
09-16-2011, 07:48 PM
^Good post.

Tis a passing man's game today.

EDIT: I'm more worried about, in order:

A) Vick's health (tied heavily to a shaky OL)
B) Vick's perfromance*

*I still think it's possible he HASN'T actually turned that magical "corner" everyone thought he did last year after a midseason string of a few amazing performances (as a passer).

nrk
09-17-2011, 06:30 PM
The Packers D also allowed the second least rushing td's in 6. Yards per attempt isn't the end-all stat.

JBCX
09-18-2011, 08:22 AM
The Packers D also allowed the second least rushing td's in 6. Yards per attempt isn't the end-all stat.

That's exactly the point - even if you allow alot of rushing yards, it doesn't mean you can't have a good scoring defense. For example, the Eagles allowed 5.6 yards per carry and 154 rushing yards last week at St. Louis, but the final score was 31-13. The Eagles had only allowed one touchdown, total, despite being completely gashed on the ground.