PDA

View Full Version : Personal Power Rankings

Byrd430
09-14-2011, 12:44 AM
1. Green Bay Packers (LW: 1, ER: 1)
-They may have won in a great opening game, and were really in control of the game throughout, they did have issues. A lack of a consistent pass rush led to coverage issues in the secondary…but they did face the New Orleans offense. Special teams had several question marks in the kickoff/punt aspects, but the Packers are still the defending champs and beat a contender on the road in the first week.
2. San Diego Chargers (LW 2, ER: 7)
-They faced a 17-7 deficit at halftime but roared back behind a strong day from FB Mike Tolbert. Their defense stifled Donovan McNabb, allowing a mere 39 yards passing and kept AP out of the end zone.
3. New England Patriots (LW 3, ER 3)
-Although they struggled in the first half, holding onto a 14-7 lead over #31 Miami, they erupted in the second half. 517 yards from Brady, who had 85+ yards with 4 different receivers made for an impressive and typical Patriot offense in the second half. The defense looks suspect though in giving up over 400 yards passing to Chad Henne.
4. Baltimore Ravens (LW 7, ER 2)
-A lot can be said in few words over their dominant obliteration of the AFC Champ Steelers. They forced a whopping 7 turnovers, featured a near-flawless day from QB Joe Flacco, and featured a 100-yard rusher in Ray Rice. They also beat the defending conference champs, 35-7.
5. New Orleans Saints (LW 5, ER 6)
-After trailing 21-7 from the opening quarter, the Saints came back to within a half-yard and 2-pt. conversion away from taking the defending champs in overtime in a brilliant opener to the season. Drew Brees was sensational with 400+ yards and Darren Sproles already makes NO feel good about getting rid of Reggie Bush.
6. Philadelphia Eagles (LW 8, ER 4)
-The Eagles’ offense didn’t skip a beat from last season as Michael Vick, LeSean McCoy, and DeSean Jackson all had big numbers. They did face the Rams, however, and both Sam Bradford and Steven Jackson (who had a big TD run in the first quarter) both left the game. The Eagles should face a stiffer and more telling test in Atlanta next week.
7. New York Jets (LW 9, ER 5)
- The win for the Jets was probably due more to the Cowboys mental lapses than to the Jets vaunted defense, but nonetheless a 17-7 4th quarter comeback is hard to ignore. The running game never posed a serious threat, but Mark Sanchez threw for 300+, including 70-yard games for three different receivers albeit against a depleted secondary.
8. Chicago Bears (LW 11, ER 9)
-My dark horse of the year looked impressive against Atlanta, refusing to give up a single offensive TD. Jay Cutler spread the ball around and Matt Forte aided with a very nice game, but the defense deserves the credit here.
9. New York Giants (LW 4, ER 19)
-Without top DE’s Justin Tuck and Osi Umenyiora and with CB Terrell Thomas out for the year, the G-Men D looked poor against an offense that I considered among the worst in the league. Even Rex Grossman looked like a superstar against the Giants D. Offensively, Hakim Nicks seemed to be the only player to show up. I expected the Giants to be better than this.
10. Dallas Cowboys (LW 13, ER 14)
-This team moves up 3 spots, even after a loss. It’s because of several reasons. A. The Cowboys dominated the Jets for 3 quarters. B. Tony Romo (despite his ill-advised throw that ended up costing the ‘Boys the game) threw for over 300 yards against what is considered the top CB duo in the league. C. The defense, who missed 2 of its top 3 corners for most of the game while the other corner (Mike Jenkins) was injured, actually played pretty well for most of the game.

11-25
11. Houston Texans (LW 15)
12. Pittsburgh Steelers (LW 10)
13. Atlanta Falcons (LW 12)
14. Oakland Raiders (LW 16)
15. Indianapolis Colts (LW 6)
16. Kansas City Chiefs (LW 14)
17. Buffalo Bills (LW 23)
18. Jacksonville Jaguars (LW 21)
19. San Francisco 49ers (LW 22)
20. St. Louis Rams (LW 17)
21. Minnesota Vikings (LW 18)
22. Tennessee Titans (LW 19)
23. Detroit Lions (LW 26)
24. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (LW 20)
25. Arizona Cardinals (LW 28)
26. Washington Redskins (LW 30)
27. Denver Broncos (LW 27)
28. Cincinnati Bengals (LW 32)
29. Carolina Panthers (LW 29)
30. Miami Dolphins (LW 31)
31. Seattle Seahawks (LW 25)
32. Cleveland Browns (LW 24)

fenikz
09-14-2011, 01:10 AM
lol 9ers wtf lol

ellsy82
09-14-2011, 01:15 AM
-A lot can be said in few words over their dominant obliteration of the AFC Champ Steelers. They forced a whopping 7 turnovers, featured a near-flawless day from QB Joe Flacco, and featured a 100-yard rusher in Ray Rice. They also beat the defending conference champs, 35-7.

FU! LOL.

Nikolas
09-14-2011, 01:17 AM
First of all, I can't imagine how you can put the Chargers up so high. They came back from being behind? They never should have gotten behind in the first place.

And teams that blow a 14 point lead in the fourth don't deserve to be in the top 16, much less the top 10. Until the Cowboys get a QB who can actually perform under pressure, they'll never be a powerhouse team.

I'd actually put New England at the top. That performance against Miami was incendiary. While Green Bay's offense was good, their defense was feeble.

RCAChainGang
09-14-2011, 01:20 AM
Indianapolis so high?
What is logic?

Thecollegedropout
09-14-2011, 01:22 AM
Indianapolis so high?
What is logic?
The Titans being over ARI, WSH, and DET just blew my mind.

yo123
09-14-2011, 01:23 AM
Before you make this you should really preface by saying how much you are weighting the first week and how much you are looking to the future because I have no idea what I'm looking at.

I will say that the Vikings are ranked pretty fairly either way.

SickwithIt1010
09-14-2011, 01:29 AM
The cowboys dont deserve to be that high.

300 yds against the best CB duo in the league?

Aso, Asante, and DRC arent happy with you.

Byrd430
09-14-2011, 01:48 AM
yo123...

Suppose I should've prefaced this with some info...

Week 1 rankings were based on how I felt the teams would perform throughout the season. For example, at #2, the Chargers are a team that I felt could solve their special teams problems last year while maintaining a top offense and defense from last year. I also felt they wouldn't get off to the slow start they are so used to getting, and may face more favorable matchups in the playoffs (although it's almost impossible to predict.) Hence, their ranking.

This power ranking is actually more like the top 25 in college football than it is a power ranking....

Byrd430
09-14-2011, 02:05 AM
@ Ellsey

Sorry. One of my bosses at work is a die-hard Steelers fan and he hates the assessment as well. He asked me, today, if the loss was an aberration or signs of things to come. My vote: aberration. Hence them only losing 2 spots in the ranking despite the lopsided outcome.

@ Nikolas

See above post for reasoning on the Chargers. Ditto for the Packers. Although their defense was suspect as mentioned, they beat (possibly) the second best team in the NFC and a top 5 team in the NFL, and really I felt like the lead was never really in question. As for the Cowboys, they dominated the AFC-runner ups (last 2 years) for 3 quarters. If not for a pair of crucial mistakes (blocked punt/Romo's int) and the fact they played without their top THREE corners for a lot of the game speaks volumes to me. Then again, I am a Cowboys fan ATTEMPTING not to be biased.

@ RCACHAINGANG
Basically, the only logic is the fact that I had them at #6 (with a healthy Manning) in the first week and didn't want to drop them TOO far down SO quickly. A 9-spot drop really shows you what direction this team is headed in. The team has almost nothing without Manning and I view them as a bottom-5 team in the league if he doesn't return.

@Collegedropout
Maybe I'm used to the Jeff Fisher era, but it seems like when I believe the Titans aren't any good, they prove me wrong. The Cardinals defense got torched by a rookie QB (who I still have no faith in until otherwise proven). The Lions are the Lions. I love their direction, but they must win before I give them credit (and I also think the Bucs may be the most overrated team in the NFL). The Redskins looked good against a defense without its top 2 pass rushers and top corner. Against a fully healthy and aggressive defense, I don't see the Redskins doing very much this year. Could definitely change over the next couple weeks.

@sickwitit

Hype tells me that Revis is the best CB in the league and Cromartie is a playmaker. Although I think both statements are sorely, SORELY misguided, I'm just going by public opinion. I'm not sure Samuel, Aso, and DRC are much better though. Samuel is a perfect fit in the system. Aso, IMO, is restricted due to the zone system. If DRC of 2 years ago shows up, then this secondary becomes legendary. If DRC of last year shows up, this secondary is average.

Byrd430
09-14-2011, 02:07 AM
@Fenikz

Niners too high for you, I'm assuming?

TACKLE
09-14-2011, 02:12 AM
@Fenikz

Niners too high for you, I'm assuming?

well they are. i watched that game and they didn't look good at all and were lucky to beat the #31 team in your rankings.

vidae
09-14-2011, 02:15 AM
Damn, Chiefs get blown out at home by 34 points and we're still 16th? I think I'm going to like you.

Byrd430
09-14-2011, 02:18 AM
@Tackle

Yes, you are probably right. I expect to drop them back down to normal after they get beat handily by the 'Boys this week. A co-worker told me that they would be the worst team in the NFL this year. I don't think they are that bad, but close to it. If not for Ginn's game, they could have lost this one....to T-Jax and Co. In hindsight, I probably should rank them lower...but as of now, they are 1-0.

Byrd430
09-14-2011, 02:22 AM
@ vidae

LOL!!!!!

I was completely and utterly shocked by that outcome, and I just believe the Chiefs are better than that.

Again, in hindsight, I suppose I should've ranked the Bills higher than them, at least, huh?

vidae
09-14-2011, 02:25 AM
@ vidae

LOL!!!!!

I was completely and utterly shocked by that outcome, and I just believe the Chiefs are better than that.

Again, in hindsight, I suppose I should've ranked the Bills higher than them, at least, huh?

Yeah, the Bills absolutely deserve a better ranking.. there is no question who was the better team on Sunday.

tjsunstein
09-14-2011, 08:32 AM
The Packers played on the road?

jrdrylie
09-14-2011, 09:06 AM
I'm giving weight to the first week, but not too much.

1. Green Bay
2. New England
3. Baltimore
4. Chicago
5. New York Jets
6. Houston
7. Philadelphia
8. New Orleans
9. Detroit
10. San Diego
11. Atlanta
12. Tampa Bay
13. Dallas
14. Arizona
15. Buffalo
16. Pittsburgh
17. Washington
18. St. Louis
19. New York Giants
20. Oakland
21. Jacksonville
22. Carolina
23. Indianapolis
24. San Francisco
25. Denver
26. Cincinnati
27. Minnesota
28. Tennessee
29. Miami
30. Kansas City
31. Cleveland
32. Seattle

Da-Phins
09-14-2011, 09:19 AM
Dolphins are too high on your list.

Bengalsrocket
09-14-2011, 10:06 AM
I like how last week the Bengals were #32, so now that we beat the Browns they're #32. If we beat Denver, do they go to 31 or 32?

bantx
09-14-2011, 12:25 PM
I love you

RaiderNation
09-14-2011, 12:44 PM
The Chargers are once again being overrated.

vidae
09-14-2011, 12:46 PM

Is that a shock? It happens every single year.

bantx
09-14-2011, 12:49 PM
hey hey hey! Chargers fan don't overrate us it's others. We've expected and prepared for our yearly slow starts, but this year I'm hoping different.

tjsunstein
09-14-2011, 12:53 PM
Water is still wet.

bucfan12
09-14-2011, 05:00 PM
1. Green Bay Packers (LW: 1, ER: 1)
-They may have won in a great opening game, and were really in control of the game throughout, they did have issues. A lack of a consistent pass rush led to coverage issues in the secondary…but they did face the New Orleans offense. Special teams had several question marks in the kickoff/punt aspects, but the Packers are still the defending champs and beat a contender on the road in the first week.
2. San Diego Chargers (LW 2, ER: 7)
-They faced a 17-7 deficit at halftime but roared back behind a strong day from FB Mike Tolbert. Their defense stifled Donovan McNabb, allowing a mere 39 yards passing and kept AP out of the end zone.
3. New England Patriots (LW 3, ER 3)
-Although they struggled in the first half, holding onto a 14-7 lead over #31 Miami, they erupted in the second half. 517 yards from Brady, who had 85+ yards with 4 different receivers made for an impressive and typical Patriot offense in the second half. The defense looks suspect though in giving up over 400 yards passing to Chad Henne.
4. Baltimore Ravens (LW 7, ER 2)
-After trailing 21-7 from the opening quarter, the Saints came back to within a half-yard and 2-pt. conversion away from taking the defending champs in overtime in a brilliant opener to the season. Drew Brees was sensational with 400+ yards and Darren Sproles already makes NO feel good about getting rid of Reggie Bush.
6. Philadelphia Eagles (LW 8, ER 4)
-The Eagles’ offense didn’t skip a beat from last season as Michael Vick, LeSean McCoy, and DeSean Jackson all had big numbers. They did face the Rams, however, and both Sam Bradford and Steven Jackson (who had a big TD run in the first quarter) both left the game. The Eagles should face a stiffer and more telling test in Atlanta next week.
7. New York Jets (LW 9, ER 5)
- The win for the Jets was probably due more to the Cowboys mental lapses than to the Jets vaunted defense, but nonetheless a 17-7 4th quarter comeback is hard to ignore. The running game never posed a serious threat, but Mark Sanchez threw for 300+, including 70-yard games for three different receivers albeit against a depleted secondary.
8. Chicago Bears (LW 11, ER 9)
-My dark horse of the year looked impressive against Atlanta, refusing to give up a single offensive TD. Jay Cutler spread the ball around and Matt Forte aided with a very nice game, but the defense deserves the credit here.
9. New York Giants (LW 4, ER 19)
-Without top DE’s Justin Tuck and Osi Umenyiora and with CB Terrell Thomas out for the year, the G-Men D looked poor against an offense that I considered among the worst in the league. Even Rex Grossman looked like a superstar against the Giants D. Offensively, Hakim Nicks seemed to be the only player to show up. I expected the Giants to be better than this.
10. Dallas Cowboys (LW 13, ER 14)
-This team moves up 3 spots, even after a loss. It’s because of several reasons. A. The Cowboys dominated the Jets for 3 quarters. B. Tony Romo (despite his ill-advised throw that ended up costing the ‘Boys the game) threw for over 300 yards against what is considered the top CB duo in the league. C. The defense, who missed 2 of its top 3 corners for most of the game while the other corner (Mike Jenkins) was injured, actually played pretty well for most of the game.

11-25
11. Houston Texans (LW 15)
12. Pittsburgh Steelers (LW 10)
13. Atlanta Falcons (LW 12)
14. Oakland Raiders (LW 16)
15. Indianapolis Colts (LW 6)
16. Kansas City Chiefs (LW 14)
17. Buffalo Bills (LW 23)
18. Jacksonville Jaguars (LW 21)
19. San Francisco 49ers (LW 22)
20. St. Louis Rams (LW 17)
21. Minnesota Vikings (LW 18)
22. Tennessee Titans (LW 19)
23. Detroit Lions (LW 26)
24. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (LW 20)
25. Arizona Cardinals (LW 28)
26. Washington Redskins (LW 30)
27. Denver Broncos (LW 27)
28. Cincinnati Bengals (LW 32)
29. Carolina Panthers (LW 29)
30. Miami Dolphins (LW 31)
31. Seattle Seahawks (LW 25)
32. Cleveland Browns (LW 24)

Explain to me how you have Washington at 26 and NY Giants at 9, when, if I remember correctly, the Redskins won by 2 Touchdowns?

Detroit at 23 and Tampa at 24, both behind teams like Tennesee, Indianapolis, Jacksonville, and San Fransisco?

My rankings after week 1:

1. Green Bay:
2. New England:
3. Baltimore
4. Philadelphia
5. San Diego
6. Chicago
7. New Orleans
8. NY Jets
9. Pittsburgh
10. Houston
11. Atlanta
12. Dallas
13. Detroit
14. Buffalo
15. Tampa Bay
16. NY Giants
17. Oakland
18. Arizona
19. Washington
20. Kansas City
21. Jacksonville
22. St. Louis
23. Jacksonville
24. San Fransisco
25. Miami
26. Cincinatti
27. Minnesota
28. Carolina
29. Denver
30. Cleveland
31. Indianapolis (THEY ARE TERRIBLE WITHOUT MANNING)
32. Seattle

tjsunstein
09-14-2011, 05:15 PM
I knew someone would quote the entire original post.

ChiFan24
09-14-2011, 07:28 PM
Everyone rank the Bears lower. I ******* hate when they get love.

phlysac
09-14-2011, 07:56 PM
well they are. i watched that game and they didn't look good at all and were lucky to beat the #31 team in your rankings.

I'm not to trying to say the 49ers are world-beaters but can you be more specific when you say "they?"

Lead 16-0 at halftime. Held Seattle to 39 yards of offense.

Ultra-conservative offensive gameplan trying to run against 8-in-the-box. Defense gave up one bad drive and had a blown coverage by a guy that hasn't played in 6 weeks (Reggie Smith.) Still won by 16.

By "they" you mean offense, defense, a particular player, team as a whole? And where does "luck" get involved? They were winning prior to either of Ginn's TDs.

J-Mike88
09-14-2011, 08:23 PM
1 Packers
2 Patriots
3 Ravens
4 Bears
5 Steelers
6 Saints
7 Eagles
8 Jets
9 Falcons (like Pitt, blown out by a very good team)
10 Chargers (People wanna say they're being overrated, but they fail to remember both their offense and defense were great last year. Their special teams cost them 5 games. Even though they gave up a KR TD again to start 2011, last year was a fluke there.)

vidae
09-14-2011, 10:15 PM
Their special teams were historically bad last year and the first thing they do this year is give up another return TD, but last year was a fluke?

Interesting theory.

JHL6719
09-14-2011, 11:10 PM
Seattle and Cleveland are both too high on your list.

bantx
09-15-2011, 12:22 AM
How does Steelers get #5 after they get demolished if you basing it off the 1st game power rankings pitt should not be that high neither the falcons.

phlysac
09-15-2011, 12:26 AM
How does Steelers get #5 after they get demolished if you basing it off the 1st game power rankings pitt should not be that high neither the falcons.

Evidently he feels the Steelers will recover nicely and have a great season...

Week 1 rankings were based on how I felt the teams would perform throughout the season.

This power ranking is actually more like the top 25 in college football than it is a power ranking....

bucfan12
09-15-2011, 01:25 AM
I don't know if I'd necessarily put them at 5, but I'd keep them and Atlanta in the top 12. They are still two good teams, but they were blown out week 1. I think both will recover, but remember, it's a long season.

Some of these teams don't belong where the orginal thread poster had them. Like, Indy, San Fransisco like seriously? The SF/Seattle game might have been one of the worst games I've watched when it comes to terms of quality/tempo. Ted Ginn was the only excitement in this game. Neither offense can move the ball. It was like the best of the worst won that game.

Iamcanadian
09-15-2011, 10:05 AM
[QUOTE=Byrd430;2677658]yo123...

Suppose I should've prefaced this with some info...

Week 1 rankings were based on how I felt the teams would perform throughout the season. For example, at #2, the Chargers are a team that I felt could solve their special teams problems last year while maintaining a top offense and defense from last year. I also felt they wouldn't get off to the slow start they are so used to getting, and may face more favorable matchups in the playoffs (although it's almost impossible to predict.) Hence, their ranking.

Then I would really question your rankings. San Diego has a HC who will never take them to the promised land and is the sole reason San Diego is a streaky team, total inconsistent and that will continue this year and every year he remains on the job.

Rosebud
09-15-2011, 01:44 PM
Then I would really question your rankings. San Diego has a HC who will never take them to the promised land and is the sole reason San Diego is a streaky team, total inconsistent and that will continue this year and every year he remains on the job.

Not that I disagree but last year that team had the leagues most productive offense and defense despite that coach. There's legit reason for them to be ranked high going into the season.