PDA

View Full Version : Talk about classless

Da-Phins
09-14-2011, 09:17 AM
http://outkickthecoverage.com/tyfoon/site/pages/images/e40567bf46fde4c.jpg

Two days ago the Titans opened the season at division rival Jacksonville. The game was a far cry from the AFC championship game in 2000. Two mediocre football teams battled in the Florida sun for three hours before the game came to a merciful 16-14 end. The Jaguars triumphed on the field, but they didn't triumph in the pregame tailgate.

That's because some Jaguar fans set up a skeleton at a tailgate wearing a bloody and torn Steve McNair jersey.

The picture, which arrives via email from a reputable source, included these details: "A very close friend who lives in Jacksonville that is a big Jaguars fan took the photo Sunday before the game. He asked me who #9 belonged to. When I replied he apologized for the classless Jag fans."

WTF? What the hell is the matter with people these days? I hope those fans get whats coming for them.

Job Reborn
09-14-2011, 09:36 AM
Well, it is kinda funny in a sick way.

tjsunstein
09-14-2011, 09:39 AM
OP has obviously never been to Oakland, or even Philadelphia.

Giantsfan1080
09-14-2011, 09:40 AM
Creative...

Bengalsrocket
09-14-2011, 10:18 AM
I don't get why someone would spend the time to create that lol.

Also, it doesn't even feel like that big of an insult to Titans fans. McNair hasn't been relevant in Tennessee for half a decade. I get that he's a big part of their history as a team, but I still don't see this as a major insult.

If anyone is going to get mad over this, I hope it's because of how stupid these people are more than anything else.

Splat
09-14-2011, 10:19 AM
I didn't know the Jags had fans.

fenikz
09-14-2011, 10:57 AM
people probably was over thinking this McNair just the most common titans jersey

DoughBoy
09-14-2011, 11:02 AM

Also, it doesn't even feel like that big of an insult to Titans fans. McNair hasn't been relevant in Tennessee for half a decade. I get that he's a big part of their history as a team, but I still don't see this as a major insult.

If anyone is going to get mad over this, I hope it's because of how stupid these people are more than anything else.

Yeah, I mean If Anthony Munoz died and the Steelers fan base dressed up a skeleton wearing his number Cincinnati fans would be totally cool with it.

CashmoneyDrew
09-14-2011, 11:17 AM

I don't find it funny but I'm not particularly offended either. Dumb people will be dumb. That's life.

But don't kid yourself about McNair not meaning anything to Titans fans just because he wasn't a player for us after 05. He lived in Nashville and had many projects in the city. Not to mention he was murdered here. Add all that with what he did as a Titan and of course he means a lot to Titans fans even still today.

vidae
09-14-2011, 11:57 AM
What a stupid thing to do. I mean that literally.. it wasn't even clever, it was just stupid.

If you're going to troll an entire fanbase, put some thought into it at least.

bantx
09-14-2011, 12:25 PM
That skeleton can probably play better at qb then whoever they have starting.

hawkeye123
09-14-2011, 12:34 PM
You guys should go to an Oakland game.

JBCX
09-14-2011, 12:43 PM
Philadelphia fans cheered Michael Irvin when he suffered a career-ending injury on the field.

CC.SD
09-14-2011, 01:15 PM
That's messed up but you have to give it up for creativity. Leave the jags alone they have 12 fans.

Breed
09-14-2011, 01:18 PM
Philadelphia fans cheered Michael Irvin when he suffered a career-ending injury on the field.

Im pretty sure they didn't know it was a career ending injury at the time.

tjsunstein
09-14-2011, 01:20 PM
Imagine if they did, though...
It would be like they won the Super Bowl all over again... lols

Ness
09-14-2011, 01:24 PM

But it wasn't that long ago that he was murdered. If he was still alive it wouldn't be that big of a deal. But the fact that it's a skeleton with blood on Steve McNair's jersey is kind of thoughtless. I know it's just a football game, but still that didn't have to have been done.

Ness
09-14-2011, 01:26 PM

He was carried off the field in a stretcher though. They shouldn't have cheered for that.

Unbiased
09-14-2011, 02:30 PM
It was a stupid thing to do and the guy deserves whatever negative attention he gets.

Monomach
09-14-2011, 02:30 PM
Really doesn't strike me as that big of a deal. Sure, it's classless, but class has no place in football.

I mean, really...it's just dumb. Nothing clever about it. 2/10 on the trolling scale. Basically, it's the opposite of Wes Welker's jokes about feet.

Raiderz4Life
09-14-2011, 02:44 PM
I'm not gonna lie...I keep chuckling at it. Not because its good or anything but cuz of how stupid it is.

ChiFan24
09-14-2011, 02:49 PM
He's been dead long enough. Let the McNair jokes begin.

Rabscuttle
09-14-2011, 03:52 PM
Could be worse, it could be some jort wearing, mullet sporting dude in a Tebow jersey or a guy dressed as an empty seat.

RufusMcDaniel
09-14-2011, 05:04 PM
Lulz Jacksonville,

all you need to know about McNair and Jacksonville is 13-3

descendency
09-14-2011, 05:13 PM
I just thought that was Kerry Collins' jersey (though I didn't know his number)

tjsunstein
09-14-2011, 05:19 PM
For what it's worth, it's a jersey that looks like it's intent was to signify a Jaguar mauling the **** out of the Titans' player. Hence the tears that looks like a claw had gotten to it. It's not like it has bullet holes...

TitanHope
09-14-2011, 05:28 PM
Someone's still mad about 1999. :D

A few years ago, a theme park up in Ohio (I believe around Cincy) did a similar thing. But I think they did a few other celebrities who had also died recently, so it wasn't as personal.

But yeah, most Jags fans are ok guys. But they absolutely despise everything Titans, especially Jeff Fisher. Figure there's another effigy with an impeccable mustache close by.

Nevertheless, **** the guy that did that. Lookin' forward to the rematch in the Coliseum.

J-Mike88
09-14-2011, 05:45 PM
Lulz Jacksonville,

all you need to know about McNair and Jacksonville is 13-3
True that.
BTW, if that sig of yours and those 3 girls is not the definition of heaven, I want to know what is.

tjsunstein
09-14-2011, 05:57 PM
http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/editorial_image/3b/3b2dd7fc8c4e9795ee30d4f204854d54/photo_vick_wears_shorts_sandals_and_a_suit_to_pres s_conference.jpg

Someone say classless?

Raiderz4Life
09-14-2011, 06:12 PM
http://l.yimg.com/a/p/sp/editorial_image/3b/3b2dd7fc8c4e9795ee30d4f204854d54/photo_vick_wears_shorts_sandals_and_a_suit_to_pres s_conference.jpg

Someone say classless?

lmao wut?? That's funny

bucfan12
09-14-2011, 06:17 PM
I understand the intent as the Jags would maul the Titans, but I find it classless that they used the jersey of the late Steve McNair (RIP). If they used a current player jersey, sure, but what does McNair have to do with the current day rivalry?

Ness
09-14-2011, 06:47 PM

Someone say classless?

My goodness that's hilarious.

He's been dead long enough. Let the McNair jokes begin.

McNair died in 2009...that wasn't very long ago.

ChiFan24
09-14-2011, 07:42 PM
My goodness that's hilarious.

McNair died in 2009...that wasn't very long ago.

Long enough.

Personally, I think it would have been more classless to use a Chris Johnson jersey. That implies that you want him to get mauled by a wild animal. McNair on the other hand can't be offended because he's already dead; he died when his 20 year old mistress with whom he'd been cheating on his wife murdered him, because she suspected he was cheating on her with yet another woman.

I mean, posthumous props to McNair for getting lots of young *****......but I'm not gonna call the Jaguars fan the classless one in this situation.

J-Mike88
09-14-2011, 07:56 PM
I understand the intent as the Jags would maul the Titans, but I find it classless that they used the jersey of the late Steve McNair (RIP). If they used a current player jersey, sure, but what does McNair have to do with the current day rivalry?
A current player might get mad, and or be offended.
Mr McNair on the other hand, sadly, certainly is not offended.
No harm done, I agree with BearFan above.

OzTitan
09-14-2011, 08:57 PM
Someone's still mad about 1999. :D

A few years ago, a theme park up in Ohio (I believe around Cincy) did a similar thing. But I think they did a few other celebrities who had also died recently, so it wasn't as personal.

But yeah, most Jags fans are ok guys. But they absolutely despise everything Titans, especially Jeff Fisher. Figure there's another effigy with an impeccable mustache close by.

Nevertheless, **** the guy that did that. Lookin' forward to the rematch in the Coliseum.

Jax was the one team and place Fisher seemed to break character for - openly saying stuff like it's his home field away from home. So yeah, hate for him is understandable.

I get the feeling though the rivalry has seen its prime come and go. I don't know either team will be in the same division for long enough to see both at their best at the same time again.

Ness
09-14-2011, 09:03 PM
Long enough.

Personally, I think it would have been more classless to use a Chris Johnson jersey. That implies that you want him to get mauled by a wild animal. McNair on the other hand can't be offended because he's already dead; he died when his 20 year old mistress with whom he'd been cheating on his wife murdered him, because she suspected he was cheating on her with yet another woman.

I mean, posthumous props to McNair for getting lots of young *****......but I'm not gonna call the Jaguars fan the classless one in this situation.

McNair's personal affairs has nothing to do with the situation. Bottom line is that you're using someone who recently was murdered to push a football fan agenda. That's stupid. And for you to use the circumstances surrounding McNair's death to justify this stunt is really reaching in my opinion to be right "just because". Like I said what happened surrounding McNair's death has nothing to do with it. Really, if McNair hadn't died under a cloak of suspicion involving a love affair and was just an act of random violence would you change your tune?

And McNair may be dead, but his family members aren't...those who may still be grieving.

descendency
09-14-2011, 10:07 PM
http://www.wgr550.com/topic/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=5469373

I think I found classless.

Breed
09-14-2011, 10:28 PM

Someone say classless?

Those slippers were probably more comfy. Plus the video camera rarely goes below your chest.

NotRickJames
09-14-2011, 11:04 PM

People forget Philly fans taunted Joe Jurevicius about his dead son. That's worse than the booing Santa/Michael Irvin injury.

TitanHope
09-14-2011, 11:21 PM
Personally, I think it would have been more classless to use a Chris Johnson jersey. That implies that you want him to get mauled by a wild animal.

Um, no. Most intelligent human beings would look at a CJ jersey with cuts all over it on a skeleton and say, "Oh, I get it! Titans' best player got mauled by a Jaguar, which is J'Ville's mascot!" and continue on while chalking it up to fanaticism, as opposed to a skeleton wearing the jersey belonging to a guy that died suddenly two years ago, cutup or not.

This is really quite laughable to suggest. In fact, I bet most don't realize the jersey has even been "mauled" at first. For a fan of either franchise, or familiar with McNair at all, they see the #9 and a skeleton, and in a split second the connection is made.

And it's not like this is a case of just using an old, cheap jersey. I'm sure VY's old jersey is on clearance and they could have even played it off as a Locker jersey instead. Yet, they went with McNair.

McNair on the other hand can't be offended because he's already dead;

And? I'm sure his two sons probably don't appreciate it.

he died when his 20 year old mistress with whom he'd been cheating on his wife murdered him, because she suspected he was cheating on her with yet another woman.

So because he was having an affair it means his death wasn't tragic or shouldn't be treated with dignity? No. By all means, don't patronize his memory solely because of his extramarital actions, which if you did you'd ignore all the other good things the man had done in his career with charities, volunteering, etc., but if you want to play chairman of morality, fine. But by no means does it make it acceptable to mock him being dead.

Rosebud
09-14-2011, 11:47 PM
Long enough.

Personally, I think it would have been more classless to use a Chris Johnson jersey. That implies that you want him to get mauled by a wild animal. McNair on the other hand can't be offended because he's already dead

Not gunna lie, I laughed.

yodabear
09-14-2011, 11:48 PM
They are classless and lost the battle off the field cuz a whole one fan had this dumb thing? Every fan base has a moron fan or two (yes even the Packers and Steelers and all the other fan bases u always hear the media giving hand jobs to). Some have two hundred thousand morons. Yes, this guy is a moron, a jerk, classless, etc. But to call an entire franchise, an entire fan base, an entire city that because of one idiot is misguided.

TitanHope
09-14-2011, 11:56 PM
They are classless and lost the battle off the field cuz a whole one fan had this dumb thing? Every fan base has a moron fan or two (yes even the Packers and Steelers and all the other fan bases u always hear the media giving hand jobs to). Some have two hundred thousand morons. Yes, this guy is a moron, a jerk, classless, etc. But to call an entire franchise, an entire fan base, an entire city that because of one idiot is misguided.

The entire fanbase isn't being called classless. Just the few people involved with this stunt.

So in other words, their entire fanbase.

WHERE THE HELL IS UNSEEN?!

TitansCJftw
09-15-2011, 12:03 AM

Someone say classless?

this isnt classless this is awesome

MetSox17
09-15-2011, 12:11 AM
What was Steve McNair's least favorite formation?

the shotgun

Raiderz4Life
09-15-2011, 12:52 AM
I'm starting to like this thread. I'm not gonna lie...every time i see the skeleton I laugh...and then I see Vick...and I laugh even harder...that's just so much win lmao

jayceheathman
09-15-2011, 01:21 AM
I don't think it is that big of a deal.

Ness
09-15-2011, 01:51 AM
Um, no. Most intelligent human beings would look at a CJ jersey with cuts all over it on a skeleton and say, "Oh, I get it! Titans' best player got mauled by a Jaguar, which is J'Ville's mascot!" and continue on while chalking it up to fanaticism, as opposed to a skeleton wearing the jersey belonging to a guy that died suddenly two years ago, cutup or not.

This is really quite laughable to suggest. In fact, I bet most don't realize the jersey has even been "mauled" at first. For a fan of either franchise, or familiar with McNair at all, they see the #9 and a skeleton, and in a split second the connection is made.

And it's not like this is a case of just using an old, cheap jersey. I'm sure VY's old jersey is on clearance and they could have even played it off as a Locker jersey instead. Yet, they went with McNair.

Steve McNair jerseys probably even being sold in retailers anymore. At least not Tennessee Titans ones. And Chris Johnson in the same scenario would be less offensive, mostly because of the fact that he's actually still alive and wasn't murdered two years ago.

I wonder if Tom Brady was killed by Bridget Moynahan from the apparent personal issues they dealt with a few years back, and two years from now at a Jets game some fans decided to do the same thing that we've seen with Steve McNair's jersey in this recent report...I wonder how that would go. I'm sure the majority of the media would let it fly.

Borat
09-15-2011, 02:32 AM
Weak effort. Raider fans would have dug up the body and used the real skeleton.

ChiFan24
09-15-2011, 03:33 AM

And? I'm sure his two sons probably don't appreciate it.

So because he was having an affair it means his death wasn't tragic or shouldn't be treated with dignity? No. By all means, don't patronize his memory solely because of his extramarital actions, which if you did you'd ignore all the other good things the man had done in his career with charities, volunteering, etc., but if you want to play chairman of morality, fine. But by no means does it make it acceptable to mock him being dead.

Well you completely missed my point with the CJ example. I don't think anything is classless, I'm completely aware that my example was stupid. I was using it to poke fun at the people here that said it's classless to imply that McNair would get mauled. Regardless of what player it was, the Jaguars fan's display had nothing to do with a Titans player actually being killed.

Also, if they DID choose McNair's jersey purposefully....who the hell cares? He's the reason they haven't gone to a Super Bowl. If Aaron Rodgers dropped dead tomorrow, I'd still be pissed off that he kept us out of the Super Bowl last season.

And I guess the rest of my point about McNair was unnecessary. I liked him as a player and I think his death was way too soon. By all accounts he was a great guy, one of my favorite non-Bears back in the day, who apparently made some mistakes. Still, I don't see why this is such an untouchable subject. The guy's been dead for two years. Unless his sons are on this message board, I don't see an issue.

descendency
09-15-2011, 08:46 AM
I wonder if Tom Brady was killed by Bridget Moynahan from the apparent personal issues they dealt with a few years back, and two years from now at a Jets game some fans decided to do the same thing that we've seen with Steve McNair's jersey in this recent report...I wonder how that would go. I'm sure the majority of the media would let it fly.

I can totally see your point, though, I have to agree with the poster who said it looked like a Jaguar mauled it.

Maybe the fan was trying to be a dick with this.

Raiderz4Life
09-15-2011, 10:48 AM

That's so messed up...but hilarious nonetheless

stephenson86
09-15-2011, 12:00 PM
What goes around comes around, so either the Titans will win next time round or that guy will die prematurely.

TitanHope
09-19-2011, 07:28 PM
Jaguars fan about McNair jersey on skeleton: "I didn't do it on purpose" - Jacksonville.com (http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/400540/tracy-jones/2011-09-16/jaguars-fan-about-mcnair-jersey-skeleton-i-didnt-do-it)

For every Jaguars game, Shari Balsamo-Walls dresses up a skeleton with a tattered, blood-smeared jersey from the opposing team.

On Sept. 11, she did what she normally does. Her trademark skeleton featured a Tennessee Titans jersey. But this time, it caused in uproar among sports bloggers, columnists and fans.

The jersey Balsamo-Walls used was one she got at a thrift store four years ago a Steve McNair jersey.

Steve McNair was murdered by Sahel Kazemi of Orange Park on July 4, 2009.

"It didn't even enter my mind that he was deceased," said Balsamo-Walls, who had used the same jersey at the past two Jaguars/Titans meetings. "I remember seeing it in the news, but I didn't even relate it to the fact that was the shirt I was using to represent the Titans."

Balsamo-Walls said she feels terrible about her mistake, and it felt "like being punched in the gut" when it caught recent media attention.

Of course it was a woman's fault. All is forgiven Jags fans!

Brent
09-19-2011, 07:30 PM
Let's just become Raiders fans. It's better to be crass than watch ****** play calls.

DoughBoy
09-19-2011, 07:44 PM
Jaguars fan about McNair jersey on skeleton: "I didn't do it on purpose" - Jacksonville.com (http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blog/400540/tracy-jones/2011-09-16/jaguars-fan-about-mcnair-jersey-skeleton-i-didnt-do-it)

Of course it was a woman's fault. All is forgiven Jags fans!

Yeah, they can't help it. All is right with the world .