PDA

View Full Version : RaiderNations 2012 Mock Draft 3.0

RaiderNation
09-14-2011, 01:42 PM
Using ESPN's week 2 power rankings, if you got questions ask away....
http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings

1 Cleveland Browns- Quinton Coples DE UNC
Doubt they pick this high, but I think McCoy will show enough for them not to draft Luck. Coples isnít a elite pass rusher, but has all attributes of a franchise DE to build around.

2 Seattle Seahawks- Andrew Luck QB Stanford*
Tavaris Jackson and the rest of the offense did next to nothing against the 49ers, Luck could step in with some nice weapons and help the offense progress.

3 Cincinnati Bengals- Trent Richardson RB Alabama*
Dalton looked decent but we will see if he can keep it up. Richardson gives the Bengals a good trio to build around with Green and Dalton.

4 Carolina Panthers- Alshon Jeffery WR South Carolina*
Cam Newton looked great week 1, but one of the missing pieces on offense is a big WR. Jeffery has great size and would be a go to target in the red zone.

5 Denver Broncos- Jerel Worthy DT Michigan State*
The Broncos have one of the worst run defense's in the league, and need major upgrades inside. Worthy is a slight reach here at this time, but a DT usually breaks out every year to be a top 10 pick.

6 Buffalo Bills- Matt Kalil OT USC*
Fitzpatrick and crew dominated week 1 against the Chiefs, but they will be exposed of oline problems throughout the season. Kalil is a steal here and will be a Pro Bowl LT in the NFL

7 Miami Dolphins- Matt Barkley QB USC*
Even though Henne did look decent, the Dolphins will still likely end up with a top 10 pick at the end of the year and a new coaching staff. Barkley has the potential to be a franchise QB if he keeps playing like he did last week.

8 Tennessee Titans- Dre Kirkpatrick CB Alabama*
Cortland Finnegan isnít the Pro Bowl CB he once used to be, and other than him they donít have much talent or depth. Kirkpatrick is a great athlete and has the potential to be #1 CB on most teams in the NFL.

9 Minnesota Vikings- Jonathan Martin OT Stanford*
I wouldnít put your trust in Charlie Johnson for too long, especially when Ponder hitís the field. Martin is a legit top 10 pick and can lock down the LT position.

10 Indianapolis Colts- Justin Blackmon WR Oklahoma State*
With Peyton likely out a good chunk of the year, expect the Colts to have a top 12 pick. I went BPA here, and adding a good young weapon for Peyton to work with will help him regain his status as a top 2 QB in the league.

11 San Francisco 49ers- Alfonzo Dennard CB Nebraska
With Luck already off the board, the 49ers would likely fully commit to Kaepernick at QB and try to address other needs. Other than Carlos Rodgers, the 49ers donít have much talent at CB so Dennard could step in as a start from day 1

12 Kansas City Chiefs- Riley Reiff OT Iowa*
I predicted the Chiefs would take a step backwards this year, and so far it looks like it. The Chiefs have Richardson starting at RT, which isnít a good thing so a tough run blocker like Reiff could be a valuable addition right here.

13 St. Louis Rams- Jared Crick DT Nebraska
I still expect the Rams to win the NFC West, and they probably would have but up a better fight if Steven Jackson didnít get hurt. They were rumored to go DT in the draft last year, and with the hole still their Crick could be a force in Spagnuoloís scheme.

14 Washington Redskins- Landry Jones QB Oklahoma*
Rex Grossman looked like a starting caliber QB week 1 against a injured backfield. In all likelihood, he and Beck will eventually show their true colors and Shanahan will opt to draft Jones here to develop.

15 Oakland Raiders- Zach Brown OLB UNC
There were a lot of things I liked watching the Raiders last night, including our dominant dline, but we have a major hole at WLB with Groves starting there. Brown is the type of athlete Al will be attracted to and has the ability to cover RBís in our scheme.

16 New York Giants- Luke Kuechly LB Boston College*
The Giants have caught the injury bug, and likely they will really struggle on defense the rest of the year. They have a need at LB, and Kuechly could grow into a force behind their dline.

17 Arizona Cardinals- Vontaze Burfict LB Arizona State*
Kevin Kolb and the offense looked solid week 1, but the defense really struggled. Local star Burfict could fill the void left by Karlos Dansby, and lead this defense at ILB.

18 Jacksonville Jaguars- Devin Taylor DE South Carolina*
I was very surprised the Jaguars played so well, but it might have been more of the Titans being bad, and the Jaguars just out playing them. With no WR worthy of this pick, they decide to add a pass rusher with high potential in Taylor.

19 Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Jayron Hasely CB Virginia Tech*
Aqib Talib has off the field problems and didnít look like himself week 1 of the season, as well as Ronde Barber being 36. With CB as a clear need, they add a CB with good zone coverage ability.

20 Dallas Cowboys- Stephon Gilmore CB South Carolina*
The Cowboys have serious issues at CB, and I would not be surprised to see Newman and/or Jenkins potentially cut after the season. Gilmore fitís the type of athlete Jerry looks for and is good value here.

21 Detroit Lions- Chase Minnifield CB Virginia
With Stafford hopefully being healthy a full season, we might finally see the potential this team has on offense. They do still lack a true #1 CB, and Minnifield has the genes of a Pro Bowl caliber CB.

22 Cleveland Browns(f/ATL)- David DeCastro OL Stanford*
The Browns have overhauled the defense through the draft, but they still need to add some talent for McCoy to succeed. DeCastro is the best interior olinemen in the draft and could be a Pro Bowler at LG next to Thomas.

23 Houston Texans- TJ McDonald SS USC*
The Texans look to finally be a headed toward the Playoffs with the AFC South being weak and with the additions they have added in the off season. They still need a impact SS, and McDonald has the looks of that.

24 San Diego Chargers- Donte Paige-Moss DE/OLB UNC*
The Chargers destroyed the Vikings offense, but I wouldnít say that is a big victory. Larry English hasnít worked out, and DPM is the type of freak athlete they hit on with Merriman back when they drafted him.

25 Pittsburgh Steelers- Janoris Jenkins CB Northern Alabama
The CBís were exposed by the Ravens week 1 and it might finally be the time for them to address the position early in the draft. Jenkins may have off the field issues, but with the type of organization the Steelers have they could straighten him up.

26 Chicago Bears- Kelechi Osemele OL Iowa State
Jay Cutler looked great against the Saints, but they still had one glaring problem on offense. The oline still gave up pressure and sacks, and its clear adding a guy like Osemele who can play OT or OG in the NFL.

27 New England Patriots(f/NO)- Robert Lester FS Alabama*
The Patriots gave up over 400 yards to Chad Henne, so it is clear they have problems in the secondary. They should move Chung to SS, and add a ball hawk like Lester to FS to hopefully help the defense as a whole.

28 New York Jets- Brandon Jenkins DE/OLB Florida State*
With Tony Romo once again giving a game away with bad decisions, the Jets were able to just squeeze out the victory. They still havenít added a consistent pass rusher from the OLB position, and Jenkins knows how to get to the QB.

29 Baltimore Ravens- Courtney Upshaw DE/OLB Alabama
The Ravens typically draft senior prospects, and Upshaw ending up on this team would surprise me. Upshaw has experience already in the 3-4, and could take over for Jarret Johnson.

30 Philadelphia Eagles- Manti Te'o LB Notre Dame*
With all the additions the Eagles made on defense, they still have weaknessí at LB. Casey Matthews should be moved to OLB, and Teío could be a force at ILB for this team.

31 New England Patriots- Michael Brewster C Ohio State*
Dan Connolly just recently broke his ankle, but even before that the Patriots needed to upgrade at Center. Brewster right now is the best Center prospect and would keep the trend of the Patriots trying to get some youth into the oline.

32 Green Bay Packers- Brandon Thompson DL Clemson
With the loss of Cullen Jenkins, the Packers had lost one of their best pass rushers on the dline. Thompson is a disrupting presence that can get to the QB and help against the run as a 3-4 DE in their scheme.

Ozzy
09-14-2011, 01:58 PM
Using ESPN's week 2 power rankings, if you got questions ask away....
http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings

1 Cleveland Browns- Quinton Coples DE UNC
Doubt they pick this high, but I think McCoy will show enough for them not to draft Luck. Coples isnít a elite pass rusher, but has all attributes of a franchise DE to build around.Really, that is almost impossible someone does not pick Luck, either they pick Luck or trade the pick, simple as that no way Luck does not go #1, especially just because of Colt McCoy, come on.

2 Seattle Seahawks- Andrew Luck QB Stanford*
Tavaris Jackson and the rest of the offense did next to nothing against the 49ers, Luck could step in with some nice weapons and help the offense progress.

Dalton looked decent but we will see if he can keep it up. Richardson gives the Bengals a good trio to build around with Green and Dalton.Love Richardson but even Peterson was only a 7th pick in the 1st round, and Richardson is not the prospect Peterson was at all, much less McFadden. So I doubt Richardson goes this high in todays NFL, or should I call it the QBFL.

4 Carolina Panthers- Alshon Jeffery WR South Carolina*
Cam Newton looked great week 1, but one of the missing pieces on offense is a big WR. Jeffery has great size and would be a go to target in the red zone.

5 Denver Broncos- Jerel Worthy DT Michigan State*
The Broncos have one of the worst run defense's in the league, and need major upgrades inside. Worthy is a slight reach here at this time, but a DT usually breaks out every year to be a top 10 pick.He is a reach because really it is only because there are no better DT's but in past drafts Worthy might not even be top three in terms of defensive tackles, but lucky for him unless some guys breakout he would be the top one

6 Buffalo Bills- Matt Kalil OT USC*
Fitzpatrick and crew dominated week 1 against the Chiefs, but they will be exposed of oline problems throughout the season. Kalil is a steal here and will be a Pro Bowl LT in the NFL

7 Miami Dolphins- Matt Barkley QB USC*
Even though Henne did look decent, the Dolphins will still likely end up with a top 10 pick at the end of the year and a new coaching staff. Barkley has the potential to be a franchise QB if he keeps playing like he did last week.

8 Tennessee Titans- Dre Kirkpatrick CB Alabama*
Cortland Finnegan isnít the Pro Bowl CB he once used to be, and other than him they donít have much talent or depth. Kirkpatrick is a great athlete and has the potential to be #1 CB on most teams in the NFL.

9 Minnesota Vikings- Jonathan Martin OT Stanford*
I wouldnít put your trust in Charlie Johnson for too long, especially when Ponder hitís the field. Martin is a legit top 10 pick and can lock down the LT position.Everyone will have Minnesota with a OT, and for obvious reasons because that is there biggest need

10 Indianapolis Colts- Justin Blackmon WR Oklahoma State*
With Peyton likely out a good chunk of the year, expect the Colts to have a top 12 pick. I went BPA here, and adding a good young weapon for Peyton to work with will help him regain his status as a top 2 QB in the league.

11 San Francisco 49ers- Alfonzo Dennard CB Nebraska
With Luck already off the board, the 49ers would likely fully commit to Kaepernick at QB and try to address other needs. Other than Carlos Rodgers, the 49ers donít have much talent at CB so Dennard could step in as a start from day 1I am so so on him, a lot more players are physically more gifted than he is, but he is very solid, will have to see how he plays before I put him ahead of some of the other corners like Kirpatrick, Gilmore or Claiborne. However Gilmore is slowly decreasing with his poor play and if he keeps it up he might not even be in the conversation anymore

12 Kansas City Chiefs- Riley Reiff OT Iowa*
I predicted the Chiefs would take a step backwards this year, and so far it looks like it. The Chiefs have Richardson starting at RT, which isnít a good thing so a tough run blocker like Reiff could be a valuable addition right here.

13 St. Louis Rams- Jared Crick DT Nebraska
I still expect the Rams to win the NFC West, and they probably would have but up a better fight if Steven Jackson didnít get hurt. They were rumored to go DT in the draft last year, and with the hole still their Crick could be a force in Spagnuoloís scheme.Don't see how Worthy is better than him, especially wish his pass rush ability

14 Washington Redskins- Landry Jones QB Oklahoma*
Rex Grossman looked like a starting caliber QB week 1 against a injured backfield. In all likelihood, he and Beck will eventually show their true colors and Shanahan will opt to draft Jones here to develop.

15 Oakland Raiders- Zach Brown OLB UNC
There were a lot of things I liked watching the Raiders last night, including our dominant dline, but we have a major hole at WLB with Groves starting there. Brown is the type of athlete Al will be attracted to and has the ability to cover RBís in our scheme.Drafted over Te'o, Burfict and Kuechly? Regardless of position I do not think Brown is better than those players. Really doubt the Raiders take a backer though, they have needs are corner more than linebacker, linebacker is pretty solid with Wimbley, Blackstock, Qroves and McClain.

16 New York Giants- Luke Kuechly LB Boston College*
The Giants have caught the injury bug, and likely they will really struggle on defense the rest of the year. They have a need at LB, and Kuechly could grow into a force behind their dline.

17 Arizona Cardinals- Vontaze Burfict LB Arizona State*
Kevin Kolb and the offense looked solid week 1, but the defense really struggled. Local star Burfict could fill the void left by Karlos Dansby, and lead this defense at ILB.

18 Jacksonville Jaguars- Devin Taylor DE South Carolina*
I was very surprised the Jaguars played so well, but it might have been more of the Titans being bad, and the Jaguars just out playing them. With no WR worthy of this pick, they decide to add a pass rusher with high potential in Taylor.Really, Jaguars will be this good, I REALLY doubt that, 18th in the draft, they will be doing lucky not to be #1, doubt they get that many wins this year

19 Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Jayron Hasely CB Virginia Tech*
Aqib Talib has off the field problems and didnít look like himself week 1 of the season, as well as Ronde Barber being 36. With CB as a clear need, they add a CB with good zone coverage ability.

20 Dallas Cowboys- Stephon Gilmore CB South Carolina*
The Cowboys have serious issues at CB, and I would not be surprised to see Newman and/or Jenkins potentially cut after the season. Gilmore fitís the type of athlete Jerry looks for and is good value here.

21 Detroit Lions- Chase Minnifield CB Virginia
With Stafford hopefully being healthy a full season, we might finally see the potential this team has on offense. They do still lack a true #1 CB, and Minnifield has the genes of a Pro Bowl caliber CB.

22 Cleveland Browns(f/ATL)- David DeCastro OL Stanford*
The Browns have overhauled the defense through the draft, but they still need to add some talent for McCoy to succeed. DeCastro is the best interior olinemen in the draft and could be a Pro Bowler at LG next to Thomas.

23 Houston Texans- TJ McDonald SS USC*
The Texans look to finally be a headed toward the Playoffs with the AFC South being weak and with the additions they have added in the off season. They still need a impact SS, and McDonald has the looks of that.

24 San Diego Chargers- Donte Paige-Moss DE/OLB UNC*
The Chargers destroyed the Vikings offense, but I wouldnít say that is a big victory. Larry English hasnít worked out, and DPM is the type of freak athlete they hit on with Merriman back when they drafted him.

25 Pittsburgh Steelers- Janoris Jenkins CB Northern Alabama
The CBís were exposed by the Ravens week 1 and it might finally be the time for them to address the position early in the draft. Jenkins may have off the field issues, but with the type of organization the Steelers have they could straighten him up.Doubt the Steelers take a player like him, Morris Claiborne is a much better tackler and a better fit for their type of corners I feel

26 Chicago Bears- Kelechi Osemele OL Iowa State
Jay Cutler looked great against the Saints, but they still had one glaring problem on offense. The oline still gave up pressure and sacks, and its clear adding a guy like Osemele who can play OT or OG in the NFL.

The Patriots gave up over 400 yards to Chad Henne, so it is clear they have problems in the secondary. They should move Chung to SS, and add a ball hawk like Lester to FS to hopefully help the defense as a whole. Give me Rambo over Lester, both are good players but Ramdo is more of a in the box, blitzing safety not so much a coverage guy like Lester, but both are ok

28 New York Jets- Brandon Jenkins DE/OLB Florida State*
With Tony Romo once again giving a game away with bad decisions, the Jets were able to just squeeze out the victory. They still havenít added a consistent pass rusher from the OLB position, and Jenkins knows how to get to the QB.

29 Baltimore Ravens- Courtney Upshaw DE/OLB Alabama
The Ravens typically draft senior prospects, and Upshaw ending up on this team would surprise me. Upshaw has experience already in the 3-4, and could take over for Jarret Johnson.Him over Hightower? We will see, still like Hightower's potential as a blitz guy with insane size and strength

30 Philadelphia Eagles- Manti Te'o LB Notre Dame*
With all the additions the Eagles made on defense, they still have weaknessí at LB. Casey Matthews should be moved to OLB, and Teío could be a force at ILB for this team.

31 New England Patriots- Michael Brewster C Ohio State*
Dan Connolly just recently broke his ankle, but even before that the Patriots needed to upgrade at Center. Brewster right now is the best Center prospect and would keep the trend of the Patriots trying to get some youth into the oline. Give me Peter Konz over him any day of the week personally

32 Green Bay Packers- Brandon Thompson DL Clemson
With the loss of Cullen Jenkins, the Packers had lost one of their best pass rushers on the dline. Thompson is a disrupting presence that can get to the QB and help against the run as a 3-4 DE in their scheme.Agree with the help of another poster, DE is their biggest need I must say. However Melvin Ingram I think is a better fit for that spot, I would take him over Thompson.

Always interesting to see what others think though, and it sure is fun to do these mock drafts, a little odd though since the order is completely up in the air and will change totally. Still cool to do

RaiderNation
09-14-2011, 02:49 PM
Could you put the post in quotes so it isn't a huge post?

Also just gonna respond to a few of your responses. Oakland is weak at LB with the exception of Wimbley and McClain, and if you watched our games its obvious teams go after Groves who isn't a fit at WLB. We aren't afraid to draft guys over better prospects at the position(DHB over Crabtree and Maclin?) and Brown will workout great compared to the other 3.

I agree Richardson at #3 is a bit of a reach, but they already have QB,WR,LT and the defense filled with some good/promising players. Benson is going to run out of gas soon so RB will be a huge need.

I don't understand why you question the positioning of teams when I'm using a power rankings order, of course the Jaguars won't be picking that high, or the Browns will be picking #1 overall

Razor
09-14-2011, 03:04 PM
Great Patriots draft right there!

hawkeye123
09-14-2011, 03:58 PM
Solid 49er pick

3-4 DE, NT, S, and WR are also possibilities

vidae
09-14-2011, 04:10 PM
I don't get how the Chiefs aren't picking first overall in every mock after week one. We were that bad.

cmarq83
09-14-2011, 04:20 PM
Like it, but BB usually picks for value. With Te'o there and Lester being more of a 2nd round type guy I could see BB going LB there. It is a position that could use improvement, and having a LB rotation of Mayo-Spikes-Te'o would be filthy. Plus, BB isn't afraid of trading up in the second to get a guy who he likes the value of better in the early 2nd than the late first.

cmarq83
09-14-2011, 04:33 PM
Dalton looked decent but we will see if he can keep it up. Richardson gives the Bengals a good trio to build around with Green and Dalton.Love Richardson but even Peterson was only a 7th pick in the 1st round, and Richardson is not the prospect Peterson was at all, much less McFadden. So I doubt Richardson goes this high in todays NFL, or should I call it the QBFL.

The Patriots gave up over 400 yards to Chad Henne, so it is clear they have problems in the secondary. They should move Chung to SS, and add a ball hawk like Lester to FS to hopefully help the defense as a whole. Give me Rambo over Lester, both are good players but Ramdo is more of a in the box, blitzing safety not so much a coverage guy like Lester, but both are ok
[/b]

I think there is a bit of revisionist history here with Peterson. I remember when he was coming out there were pretty strong injury concerns. Plus, his running style looked like it was going to cause him a ton of injuries over his career which he thankfully has avoided. Also, he had little experience in the passing game both blocking and receiving. He was by no means a perfect prospect. If Richardson pulls off a a great season, and has workout numbers like we're expecting being a top 5 overall selection isn't out of the question.

As far as the Patriots go they need a coverage guy rather than an in the box kind of guy at S so Lester is a better pick.

Duffman57
09-15-2011, 02:00 AM
DPM absolutely sucks. No way around it, no handwork, no bull rush, the only way he gets pressure is bigtime coverage sacks...

Give us Brandon Jenkins all the way.

Though its hard to say English "hasn't worked out" even though he's only played a little more than a season and that was making a strange transition to OLB that he wasn't incredibly comfortable with coming out, and hasn't played healthy since the first half of his first season. So its hard to count him out just yet if he can get healthy.

But if you REALLY want to give us a "freak" athlete and a Merriman type presence, you gotta go with Nick Perry. I would have no problem with him in the 1st to be completely honest.

Pat Sims 90
09-15-2011, 03:11 PM
I would laugh my ass off if the Browns passed on Luck in favor of McCoy.

Richardson is way to high at this point i see him taking a Mark Ingram type fall this season. Give the Bengals Kirkpatrick

prock
09-17-2011, 11:57 AM
Not a chance the Browns would pass on Luck.

But Martin is a good pick. Gimme a LT baby