PDA

View Full Version : Fix the NFL... get rid of pads?

nepg
09-15-2011, 05:58 PM
Yes? Seems like the only advantage of pads is they look cool.

Discuss.

MetSox17
09-15-2011, 06:07 PM
It isn't gonna get rid of injuries. The only thing that would do is change the common injuries from torn ligaments and concussions to broken jaws and fractured limbs.

keylime_5
09-15-2011, 06:10 PM
take away the pads and the tackling and it'll be nice and safe, none of the good players will get hurt. $$$$$$$$$$

CJSchneider
09-15-2011, 06:11 PM
http://atomictoasters.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/harmmsl.jpg

That's how we used to do it back in the day.

Bengalsrocket
09-15-2011, 06:33 PM
Yes? Seems like the only advantage of pads is they look cool.

Discuss.

I feel like pads are unnecessary for nearly every position besides running back. The unfortunate reality is that when a running back shoots off the ball like a torpedo into a linebacker that weighs 40-50 lbs. more than him, with his head down, he's likely to be injuried every single time lol.

yo123
09-15-2011, 06:37 PM
What? Am I being trolled?

slightlyaraiderfan
09-15-2011, 06:38 PM
http://i565.photobucket.com/albums/ss94/frank996960/Miz-Really.jpg

Hurricanes25
09-15-2011, 06:38 PM
Afwul idea unless you want the teams to score a combined 100 points per game.

descendency
09-15-2011, 07:02 PM
Some people don't seem to realize that safety promotes recklessness.

The safer you are, the more you are willing to "take risks".

Take trolling on the internet. You'd never do half that stuff to their face, because you'd probably get a fist through your face.

The same applies with football. More people would be less willing to commit head shots and launch themselves if they had a high risk of concussion or broken bones. They'd actually learn to play the game in a safe fashion.

Some coaches even coach that stuff... sadly.

niel89
09-15-2011, 07:20 PM
I actually wish some of these guys had to play for a couple games with out pads and helmets. The way they play, guys would get dinged up quickly and hopefully they would learn to tackle properly.

VUBlacknGold
09-15-2011, 07:36 PM
http://atomictoasters.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/harmmsl.jpg

That's how we used to do it back in the day.

is that your son?

CashmoneyDrew
09-15-2011, 08:11 PM
I've actually pondered this myself. When me and my friends play our annual Turkey Bowl we play tackle without pads and helmets. The only injuries anyone has ever really sustained were twisted ankles. Kind of makes you think at least.

Bengalsrocket
09-15-2011, 08:17 PM
I've actually pondered this myself. When me and my friends play our annual Turkey Bowl we play tackle without pads and helmets. The only injuries anyone has ever really sustained were twisted ankles. Kind of makes you think at least.

lol, I don't know if you're joking or not, but a bunch of drunk guys in sweat pants don't tackle like 250 lb athletes. Even if you and your friends are fitness freaks, you still don't do it on a professional level.

CashmoneyDrew
09-15-2011, 08:22 PM
I am joking. And yes I am a physical freak. And I did get paid to play once, but the sport was not football. I can say no more or my intramural eligibility might go down the drains.

Bengalsrocket
09-15-2011, 08:35 PM
I am joking. And yes I am a physical freak. And I did get paid to play once, but the sport was not football. I can say no more or my intramural eligibility might go down the drains.

haha awesome!

bored of education
09-15-2011, 08:55 PM
The idea and mindset would have to change to accept a moronic change like this. I played 6+ of rugby at college and club league levels and I have seen much less high level contact hits I think some things would have to change. The idea of blowing people up is so different it's no even funny, if football was padless then people would die. Rugby is a possession based sport, not about ******* people up. It's so different that it is no even comprehendable.

ElectricEye
09-15-2011, 09:02 PM
People DID die and were seriously hurt.....that's why we have the pads in the first place...

hoekd0250
09-15-2011, 09:04 PM
i would have to agree with you that the mindset would have to change. Look not having pads might make some people change how they play the game, but many others just wouldnt. I mean some of the guys at the NFL level are just plain insanely athletic and competitive. You think Ray Lewis cares if he has pads of not. No he will still swing his body around the field attacking anything that moves with the same force.

M.O.T.H.
09-15-2011, 09:08 PM
Yeah...lets see damn near any cornerback try to tackle Peyton Hillis without pads.

CashmoneyDrew
09-15-2011, 09:43 PM
I once tackled a 300+ pound D-1 lineman in a pick-up game of tackle football. The next time I intentionally tripped the mofo instead.

Bucs_Rule
09-15-2011, 09:53 PM
i would have to agree with you that the mindset would have to change. Look not having pads might make some people change how they play the game, but many others just wouldnt. I mean some of the guys at the NFL level are just plain insanely athletic and competitive. You think Ray Lewis cares if he has pads of not. No he will still swing his body around the field attacking anything that moves with the same force.

Not to mention pyschos that enjoy hurting others. Not calling Ray Lewis one, he seems decent in interviews. I'm sure their a bunch in the NFL like that, they would never say it but out of thousands of players some would be psychopaths.

CashmoneyDrew
09-15-2011, 09:58 PM
Fix the NFL... Play with robots instead of humans.

Signed,
Hugh Jackman

Saints-Tigers
09-15-2011, 10:56 PM
Meh, just gonna dumb down the tackles and probably have more injuries.