PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs, Brandon Flowers agree on long-term deal

Splat
09-16-2011, 03:18 PM
Chiefs, Brandon Flowers agree on long-term deal (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/16/chiefs-brandon-flowers-agree-on-long-term-deal/)

Chiefs signed CB Brandon Flowers to a five-year, $50 million extension with $22 million guaranteed.Finally something good happening with the Chiefs.

ATLDirtyBirds
09-16-2011, 03:24 PM
Flowers is pretty awesome. How did he play last week? Didn't catch any of that game.

tjsunstein
09-16-2011, 03:27 PM
Like the bottom of that article said, the Chiefs have a nice nucleus of players to build around and this is another key signing in keeping them together.

Splat
09-16-2011, 03:28 PM
Flowers is pretty awesome. How did he play last week? Didn't catch any of that game.

Anyone not named Dustin Colquitt didn't show up for that game.

Breed
09-16-2011, 04:06 PM
Brandon Flowers arguably the best CB from the 08 draft not named Talib.

SuperMcGee
09-16-2011, 04:24 PM

Had a few noticeably bad plays with Fred Jackson carrying him for a first down to keep the ball away before the half. Stevie Johnson caught a mid-long touchdown right in front of/above him. Not sure who was at fault, but there were a few big cushion plays on the sideline from the Chiefs' D that Fitzpatrick took advantage of.
He grabbed a garbage time interception on a Brad Smith bomb, as well.

bucfan12
09-16-2011, 04:34 PM
Great job for KC. Flowers was arguablly the most underrated CB going into the 2008 class and the Cheifs ended up with a steal and great player.

nepg
09-16-2011, 04:54 PM
Flowers was the best corner in the league for the first half of '10 before getting injured. That's a pretty friendly deal for the Chiefs.

T-RICH49
09-16-2011, 05:08 PM
now we need to sign Brandon Carr

vidae
09-16-2011, 05:22 PM
Carr and Bowe are next I think. I really like what Pioli has done locking up some of our younger talent (Charles, DJ, Tamba, Flowers etc).. great job sir.

Splat
09-16-2011, 06:32 PM

He is better than Talib.

A Perfect Score
09-16-2011, 07:13 PM
Just another CB I wanted terribly predraft who Ozzie Newsome decided didn't make the cut. :(

Breed
09-16-2011, 07:16 PM
He is better than Talib.

Enlighten me.

JBCX
09-16-2011, 07:23 PM
Enlighten me.

Talib is a complete buffoon off the field and kind of a buffoon on the field as well. Sure, he has elite physical tools but he takes alot of chances and is kind of overrated as a cover guy.

But the main issue w/ him is that he is basically a second Pacman Jones. I'd take Flowers over Talib every day and twice on Sunday.

tjsunstein
09-16-2011, 07:32 PM
Talib is a complete buffoon off the field and kind of a buffoon on the field as well. Sure, he has elite physical tools but he takes alot of chances and is kind of overrated as a cover guy.

But the main issue w/ him is that he is basically a second Pacman Jones. I'd take Flowers over Talib every day and twice on Sunday.
It's not a morality contest, it's football and the level that Talib performs at is better than Flowers. Remember when Talib wasn't suspended? So really he's been suspended as much as Flowers... buffoon or not, it doesn't affect his play on the field negatively.

JBCX
09-16-2011, 07:49 PM
It's not a morality contest, it's football and the level that Talib performs at is better than Flowers. Remember when Talib wasn't suspended? So really he's been suspended as much as Flowers... buffoon or not, it doesn't affect his play on the field negatively.

Except that if you become too much of a buffoon, it affects your ability to contribute to your ballclub. See: Jones, Pacman.

Do I, as a GM or Coach, want a guy who is known to have no aversion to brandishing guns in domestic disputes, as the centerpiece of my secondary?

And while Talib is a solid corner, he's not elite or anything like that.

Breed
09-16-2011, 08:01 PM
Except that if you become too much of a buffoon, it affects your ability to contribute to your ballclub. See: Jones, Pacman.

Do I, as a GM or Coach, want a guy who is known to have no aversion to brandishing guns in domestic disputes, as the centerpiece of my secondary?

And while Talib is a solid corner, he's not elite or anything like that.

His off the field issues have nothing to do with his play on the field.

Talib is a complete ball-hawk in coverage. He gambles a lot so I don't think he'll ever be an "elite lockdown" type of corner.

If I was a GM, and making a selection between the two types of CBs I would go with the guy that cause turnovers, and gives my offense more scoring opportunity.

JBCX
09-16-2011, 08:08 PM

Off the field issues affect a player and his ability to contribute, long-term, to a team.

What happened with Haynesworth in Washington? One of the top 5 DTs in the league when he was signed to his free agent contract but he was a headcase and caused lots of problems for his coaches and teammates. What happened to Pacman Jones everywhere he's been? Elite talent but a complete idiot. What about Terrell Owens? Another elite talent who eventually drove every quarterback he ever played with completely nuts and had to be shipped out of every team's locker room. Randy Moss? Amazing talent who only played when he wanted to play.

Why force yourself to put up with one of these guys when you can instead have a high-character player who has similar levels of production? Why should I have to deal with a Terrell Owens or a Randy Moss if I could instead have a Larry Fitzgerald or an Andre Johnson?

Talib vs. Flowers is the exact same thing in my opinion.

V.I.P
09-16-2011, 08:16 PM
Aqib Talib, and Raheem Morris are "home boys". Talib will never get cut!!!!!!!

Sidenote: Great deal for the Chiefs!

Caddy
09-16-2011, 08:25 PM

I like this comment. :D

But seriously Flowers is a great corner and deserves this. I know a lot of Buccaneers fans wanted him that year but we're pretty darn happy to have landed ourselves and equally awesome CB, albeit one who gets in a bit of trouble.

Complex
09-16-2011, 08:46 PM
Off the field issues affect a player and his ability to contribute, long-term, to a team.

What happened with Haynesworth in Washington? One of the top 5 DTs in the league when he was signed to his free agent contract but he was a headcase and caused lots of problems for his coaches and teammates. What happened to Pacman Jones everywhere he's been? Elite talent but a complete idiot. What about Terrell Owens? Another elite talent who eventually drove every quarterback he ever played with completely nuts and had to be shipped out of every team's locker room. Randy Moss? Amazing talent who only played when he wanted to play.

Why force yourself to put up with one of these guys when you can instead have a high-character player who has similar levels of production? Why should I have to deal with a Terrell Owens or a Randy Moss if I could instead have a Larry Fitzgerald or an Andre Johnson?

Talib vs. Flowers is the exact same thing in my opinion.

Hasley or Morton(morten?)?

Complex
09-16-2011, 08:47 PM
Talib is better than Flowers imho.

LonghornsLegend
09-16-2011, 09:09 PM

Talib is a complete ball-hawk in coverage. He gambles a lot so I don't think he'll ever be an "elite lockdown" type of corner.

If I was a GM, and making a selection between the two types of CBs I would go with the guy that cause turnovers, and gives my offense more scoring opportunity.

Did you ever think it has alot to do with the scheme? Talib would struggle for alot of teams who run primarily man-blitz schemes. No safety help, on an island, back turned to the QB. If were talking Tampa 2, Cover 2, or flat out zone where the CB can face the QB I'll take Talib.

If were talking about all around an all around skilled CB who would be elite in any scheme, give me Flowers. If he was playing in a Cover 2 scheme he'd have alot more turnovers and picks IMO. Talib is bigger and stronger, and always had great ball skills, but Flowers has much better hips and can turn and run with any WR. At his size you'd like to think he'd get faded alot more but he knows exactly when to attack the ball and does a great job at breaking it up just in time.

I'm not taking anything away from Talib though. Let me say that now before Bucsfan12 and any other Bucs fans come in here trying to tell me how good Talib is. Just saying that the scheme he is in fits his skills/traits beautifully, and mask his weaknesses even better.

Ronde Barber was an elite player for many many years in TB, alot of people question how good he would have been in a man based scheme all those years too. Flowers is universally good, and can play in anything very well, in any coverage.

Which leads me back to your 1st comment:

This would only make sense if Talib were easily the better CB, like far and away better. The fact that it's not true and very easily debatable, you could leave out the last part. Flowers is arguably the best CB from that draft. Period. Even if you do take Talib let's not act like it's a universal thought he's the better player which he's not.

Besides if you want to nitpick, those are the 2 best CB's from that class. If you take 1 out, the other is clearly the best. Who else would you be making your "argument" for that is just as good as Flowers if you took out Talib? There were a ton of great prospects, but those 2 are the only ones who amounted to elite players potentially, and Talib will be run out of the league before long.

I've seen Talib in downtown Dallas many times, he has no clue what it takes to be a professional and his season long suspension is only a matter of time. Anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves.

Breed
09-16-2011, 09:44 PM
^^^ Glad you got all that off your chest bro.

You're right about Ronde. But wanna know why he isn't playing at an "elite" level anymore? Because Tampa runs a lot of man coverage now! So there goes your whole Talib "playing facing the QB" theory...

asdf1223
09-16-2011, 10:00 PM
The Chiefs had one of the best draft classes in 2008. Was that Carl Peterson's last draft class? If so he nearly made up for all those wasted drafted picks in one class.

vidae
09-16-2011, 10:27 PM
The Chiefs had one of the best draft classes in 2008. Was that Carl Peterson's last draft class? If so he nearly made up for all those wasted drafted picks in one class.

It was his last draft class and Herm had everything to do with the drafting of Flowers AND Carr. Herm had many faults, but evaluating DBs was not one of them.

Dorsey, Albert, Flowers, Charles, Carr, Barry Richardson (currently starting at RT, and has improved, but is pretty garbage).. very good class.

And while it was great, it in no way, shape or form made up for his absolute garbage drafts in the past. They were just flat out awful.

Basileus777
09-17-2011, 03:00 AM
The 08 draft class is mostly to Bill Kuharich and Herm's credit.

Saints-Tigers
09-17-2011, 04:44 AM
Am I alone in thinking Flowers is better than Talib, regardless of off the field issues?

Caddy
09-17-2011, 07:25 AM
Am I alone in thinking Flowers is better than Talib, regardless of off the field issues?

If you read the thread you'd realise you aren't...

Rabscuttle
09-17-2011, 08:55 AM
I wish the Niners had a corner like Flowers on their roster. A guy that gets his team off the field consistantly on third downs throughout the season is far more valuable than a few picks.

Brodeur
09-17-2011, 11:31 AM
The Bucs/Chiefs fans on this forum have some of the most unfounded debates ever.

vidae
09-17-2011, 12:02 PM
What Chiefs fan is even debating? It's everyone else!

V.I.P
09-17-2011, 01:02 PM
The Bucs/Chiefs fans on this forum have some of the most unfounded debates ever.

NFLDC Rivalryzzz!!!1!!!1

Pretty funny how that guy completely de-railed this thread.

nepg
11-01-2011, 08:23 AM
Flowers is better than Talib...still.

T-RICH49
11-01-2011, 08:28 AM
man Flowers was unreal last night

ImBrotherCain
11-01-2011, 08:29 AM
I know I am two months behind on this but I am happy for the guy. He was one of my favorite Hokies when he was there!

Splat
11-01-2011, 09:23 AM

True dat...

bucfan12
11-01-2011, 09:24 AM

Agreed. Flowers is a lockdown CB who can make plays as well.

Talib is good and has talent, no doubt. But he's yet to get his head out of his ***, both on and off the field.

I was hoping Tampa cut him, and hope they rid themselves of him in the future. His play has dropped off tremendously from last year.

Brodeur
11-01-2011, 10:07 AM
Agreed. Flowers is a lockdown CB who can make plays as well.

Talib is good and has talent, no doubt. But he's yet to get his head out of his ***, both on and off the field.

I was hoping Tampa cut him, and hope they rid themselves of him in the future. His play has dropped off tremendously from last year.

Flowers isn't a lockdown CB.

nepg
11-01-2011, 10:13 AM
He's one of the top CBs in the NFL and is hitting his stride again after having issues with injuries last year and early this year.

A Perfect Score
11-01-2011, 10:40 AM
I wouldn't say he's a lockdown CB, namely because there's exactly 1 of those in the NFL right now, but he's a Top 3 CB with Revis and Nnamdi (even though the latter isn't playing like it this year, but I'm going to blame the scheme in Philly for that). I'd kill to have someone of that caliber playing CB for the Ravens...[crosses fingers on Jimmy Smith]