PDA

View Full Version : Landry Jones Won't Succeed in the NFL

KCStud
09-17-2011, 08:54 PM
I've seen enough of him to tell. Over a year and the same problems still occur. He is a system QB. He can't handle the pressure well at all, especially on the road. Yes he might break the record for most passing yards, but it's inflated.
Look at who he's throwing the ball to? Ryan Broyles and Kenny Stills will both be first round picks and the OL is well above average.
It's not a coincidence that the first time FSU got pressure on Jones he threw a pick. How's he gonna handle pressure like that consistently in the NFL?
I like the kid. I really do. He's got a strong arm and is driven. But would I spend a first round pick on him? No.

BeerBaron
09-17-2011, 09:00 PM
Pretty much everything you said there can also be said about nearly any spread QB who will or has come out recently. It's way too early to panic.

FUNBUNCHER
09-17-2011, 09:15 PM
Landry Jones will win a NC. He's at least IMO the equal of Bradford.

Not succeed?? I don't know how you can say that about him.

Anytime you get consistent pressure on any college QB their game suffers.

Brent
09-17-2011, 09:20 PM
one game is all I need to properly judge a prospect!

asdf1223
09-17-2011, 09:26 PM
Didnt we make the exact same argument with Bradford? Saying Trent Williams, Duke Robinson and Phil Loadholt made him better than he was and he was going to wilt under pressure?

Shane P. Hallam
09-17-2011, 09:29 PM
one game is all I need to properly judge a prospect!

I think he's played more than one game...

Complex
09-17-2011, 09:33 PM

No, Bradford was more accurate and had a quicker release.

KCStud
09-17-2011, 09:37 PM

He is nowhere near Bradford. Bradford was extremely accurate all over the field. Jones isn't very accurate beyond 15 yards.

And this isn't based off tonight. He did the same thing last year at MU, OSU and A&M.
He can't lead the team on the road with elite talent in college. What's he gonna do when he goes to the NFL and he doesn't have elite players at almost every position?

SickwithIt1010
09-17-2011, 09:41 PM

No chance in hell. He cant hold Bradford's jock.

DcmRulz
09-17-2011, 09:56 PM
Yeah, I doubt Landry is going to be Bradford good. Franchise QB no, but certainly starter quality.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
09-17-2011, 11:28 PM
Landry is much closer to Jason White than Bradford. His accuracy beyond 10 yards is pretty meh, and his arm strength is average to below average. I don't see what's to like about him, I see a 5th-6th rounder.

SenorGato
09-17-2011, 11:58 PM
Agreed to the max.

Brent
09-18-2011, 07:12 AM
I think he's played more than one game...
Shane, the post was made during the game, it's clearly a reactionary post.

Halsey
09-18-2011, 12:56 PM
The criticisms of Jones in this thread seem like the same lazy, generic criticisms thrown out for 1,000 previous qbs on this board. I don't know if jones will succeed in the NFL, and I can tell no one here does either. You're just copying and pasting the same stuff people on these boards often say when a big name qb prospect has a less than dominant game.

TuckNole
09-18-2011, 08:37 PM
Should also be noted that Jones might have been going up against the nations best secondary.

Rhodes, Harris, Reid are all future NFL corners and Joyner is playing lights out at free safety.

TACKLE
09-18-2011, 10:02 PM
He's at least IMO the equal of Bradford.

in what way?

OGDraft
09-24-2011, 06:24 PM
Look at who he's throwing the ball to? Ryan Broyles and Kenny Stills will both be first round picks
lol @ Broyles in the 1st round.

Razor
09-25-2011, 11:06 AM
Wow, the stupidity of this thread is just mind blowing. Jones isn't quite Sam Bradford, but he's not that far behind. Calling him a system QB just seems dumb, especially after his predecessor (a system QB according to critics, myself inclusive) went on to be a good NFL QB. I learned my lesson: talented QBs can adapt, and Landry is both talented and intelligent enough to make the transition. Using Broyles and Stills is just further evidence that you don't have a ******* clue about what you're talking about.

keylime_5
09-25-2011, 11:17 AM
Should also be noted that Jones might have been going up against the nations best secondary.

Rhodes, Harris, Reid are all future NFL corners and Joyner is playing lights out at free safety.

tell that to sammy watkins and tajh boyd, yikes.

BeerBaron
09-25-2011, 11:28 AM
Why do I feel like this thread will become a version of the "Will Mark Sanchez Hold the Jets Back?" thread.

Any time Jones has a good game, the defenders will come in here saying "see! see! I told you!"

And when he has a lousy game, the critics will fire right back.

SolidGold
09-25-2011, 12:02 PM
I thought Jones played well last night, he showed good accuracy and a strong arm. He can make all the throws. His deep ball is just weird to me...it seems to have alot more arch to it...like when it leaves his hand to when it lands is a perfect semicircle. Probably just a case of putting to much touch on the ball.

GoBroncos
09-25-2011, 08:47 PM
I know I am not a usual poster to this website, but some of the replies on this thread is just ******* ********. A lot of the criticisms Landry Jones have are the exact same ones Sam Bradford. Let's remember, Landry Jones isn't playing with nearly the same caliber players Bradford had. They both got to play with Broyles, but Bradford also had TE Jermaine Gresham, 2 drafted WR's in Iglesias and Manuel Johnson, and an NFL RB Demarco Murray. Landry Jones has probably one guy on his offense who will make an NFL roster. All the other WR's/RB's aren't NFL caliber at ALL. I also see people comparing Landry to Jason White. Let's face it, Jason White never had a chance to make an NFL roster after 2 ACL tears. His knee wouldn't hold up over the course of a grueling 16 game NFL season. Landry Jones will be a decent QB in the NFL, just like Bradford will be.

Big Bird
09-25-2011, 09:41 PM
I know I am not a usual poster to this website, but some of the replies on this thread is just ******* ********. A lot of the criticisms Landry Jones have are the exact same ones Sam Bradford. Let's remember, Landry Jones isn't playing with nearly the same caliber players Bradford had. They both got to play with Broyles, but Bradford also had TE Jermaine Gresham, 2 drafted WR's in Iglesias and Manuel Johnson, and an NFL RB Demarco Murray. Landry Jones has probably one guy on his offense who will make an NFL roster. All the other WR's/RB's aren't NFL caliber at ALL. I also see people comparing Landry to Jason White. Let's face it, Jason White never had a chance to make an NFL roster after 2 ACL tears. His knee wouldn't hold up over the course of a grueling 16 game NFL season. Landry Jones will be a decent QB in the NFL, just like Bradford will be.
Okay, now you're the one that sounds like you have never watched an Oklahoma game in the last decade.

You mention Bradford playing with Igelsias and Johnson, two average college receivers and NFL nobodies, but don't mention Malcolm Kelly, the guy who wasn't the highest regarded NFL prospect of the three?

And then, you rip Landry Jones surrounding talent by saying he has only one NFL caliber player with him, but fail to realize the talent of Kenny Stills. No, it's not the same surrounding talent Bradford had (you also fail to mention the Offensive Line Bradford had, another sign that you have watch next to nil, which had Phil Loadholt and George "Duke" Robinson who were highly regarded by same), but it's still solid. They aren't rated #2 in the nation solely because of Landry Jones and Ryan Broyles...

GoBroncos
09-26-2011, 06:35 PM
Okay, now you're the one that sounds like you have never watched an Oklahoma game in the last decade.

You mention Bradford playing with Igelsias and Johnson, two average college receivers and NFL nobodies, but don't mention Malcolm Kelly, the guy who wasn't the highest regarded NFL prospect of the three?

And then, you rip Landry Jones surrounding talent by saying he has only one NFL caliber player with him, but fail to realize the talent of Kenny Stills. No, it's not the same surrounding talent Bradford had (you also fail to mention the Offensive Line Bradford had, another sign that you have watch next to nil, which had Phil Loadholt and George "Duke" Robinson who were highly regarded by same), but it's still solid. They aren't rated #2 in the nation solely because of Landry Jones and Ryan Broyles...

Yeah, I know EXACTLY who Bradford played with. He also played Brody Eldrigde a FB who got drafted and plays for the Indianapolis Colts, Trent Williams a LT who went number 4 for to the Washington Redskins. He also played with 2 1000 yard rushers in Chris Brown and Demarco Murray. LOL You don't have to question my knowledge of College football. LOL, I will make you look like an idiot.

Landry Jones didn't have the same personal around him that Bradford had, but yet put up better numbers. As for Malcolm Kelly? He was a great WR in college, but he was never going to amount to much in the NFL even if he came back from his injuries. He didn't have elite speed to create separation from NFL CB's. His athleticism got him by in college, but it is a whole different story at the next level. His pro day was HORRIBLE. He ran like a 4.8 forty!

Anything else arse clown?

no bare feet
10-19-2011, 07:19 AM
Cool Jerseys Bro.
I like Landry Jones, he has progressed quite a bit since the first game.

jth1331
10-19-2011, 09:10 AM
People sure do like tor rip Oklahoma QB's.
I remember Bradford getting torn apart by some people on here before the draft, but now everybody loves him.
Landry does not have that same accuracy Bradford does, he he still has the qualities to be a good NFL QB. What really separates him from Locker or Gabbert?
The OP ripped Landry for his interception he threw against FSU, but then failed to mention he led OU down the field for the game winning score in the 4th quarter. That is what you want to see, a QB capable of overcoming a mistake and leading his team to a game deciding score late.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
10-19-2011, 01:33 PM
Landry's skillset is nowhere near Bradford's. For as much flac as Bradford got for having an "average" arm, Landry's is worse. His accuracy just isn't there, his high completion % is part of the system. Much closer to a Tony Pike than Bradford.

Unbiased
10-19-2011, 03:22 PM
Yeah, I know EXACTLY who Bradford played with. He also played Brody Eldrigde a FB who got drafted and plays for the Indianapolis Colts, Trent Williams a LT who went number 4 for to the Washington Redskins. He also played with 2 1000 yard rushers in Chris Brown and Demarco Murray. LOL You don't have to question my knowledge of College football. LOL, I will make you look like an idiot.

Landry Jones didn't have the same personal around him that Bradford had, but yet put up better numbers. As for Malcolm Kelly? He was a great WR in college, but he was never going to amount to much in the NFL even if he came back from his injuries. He didn't have elite speed to create separation from NFL CB's. His athleticism got him by in college, but it is a whole different story at the next level. His pro day was HORRIBLE. He ran like a 4.8 forty!

Anything else arse clown?

I'm so impressed by you. I wish I could give you a trophy of some kind.

JHL6719
10-19-2011, 06:32 PM
I don't think Sam Bradford is all he's cracked up to be anyway.

nepg
10-20-2011, 04:08 AM
I don't think Sam Bradford is all he's cracked up to be anyway.
He does seem to be struggling with a more complicated offense that we all thought he'd excel in. He's thinking too much. Obviously, StL has played a really tough schedule so far, so we'll see how if he can get it together in the softer part of the schedule and down the stretch.

jth1331
10-20-2011, 08:39 AM
He does seem to be struggling with a more complicated offense that we all thought he'd excel in. He's thinking too much. Obviously, StL has played a really tough schedule so far, so we'll see how if he can get it together in the softer part of the schedule and down the stretch.

It doesn't help when your stud RB gets injured, your WR's/TE's/RB's drop passes, and your OL has trouble blocking. Bradford's been sacked 21 times already this season in 5 games.

San Diego Chicken
10-20-2011, 09:12 AM
Of course Bradford has a terrible supporting cast, but it cuts both ways. Last year he received the lions share of credit for the Rams surprising season and you didn't hear as much about the supporting cast. He has a contract for 50 million guaranteed. I know it's not fair but it falls on him. If St. Louis knew they weren't planning on getting much help for Bradford then they should have invested their 50 million in Ndamukong Suh who doesn't need a good supporting cast to be a dominant NFL player.

CMR#20
10-20-2011, 06:10 PM
Bradford had the accuracy and mental discipline that Landry Jones doesn't have which is why Landry will fail. I see Landry make 5 step drops he always fires the deep pass on a 5 step drop. When Jones makes a 7 step drop he gets pressured and runs out of the pocket. Coordinators will pick up on this and force Jones to make 3 step drops by pressuring him.

FUNBUNCHER
10-21-2011, 05:31 AM
Landry Jones has a better arm than Bradford and there's no reason to think he's going to fail in the NFL.

nepg
10-21-2011, 05:47 AM
It doesn't help when your stud RB gets injured, your WR's/TE's/RB's drop passes, and your OL has trouble blocking. Bradford's been sacked 21 times already this season in 5 games.
They still have decent quality runners and the receivers aren't nearly as bad as people make them out to be. The OL has been fine in the past.

A lot of the things that are happening to this team are indicative of a QB that's just struggling with the offense. It's not a terrible mark against him, but it makes sense. He's a young QB and didn't get much of an off-season to work with McDaniels on the little intricacies. He's not used to adjusting protections and having the amount of responsibility before the snap that QBs in that offense have.

On Landry Jones, I don't like him much. He's a JAG on a great team. He doesn't do anything overly impressive. His accuracy is average, his arm is average, his athleticism is average, his size is average, and he really just doesn't seem to lead that team at all. I don't see a player with much command over his teammates when I watch Landry Jones. To me, Landry Jones is just kind of..."there". Average is fine, there have been amazing QBs in the NFL with average everything...but the latter point is the sticky mess.

ChiFan24
10-23-2011, 03:00 AM
He sucks. At a certain point, you stop evaluating tools and you start evaluating results. He's an absolute disaster sometimes. Will not deserve to start in the NFL.

jth1331
10-24-2011, 09:36 AM
He sucks. At a certain point, you stop evaluating tools and you start evaluating results. He's an absolute disaster sometimes. Will not deserve to start in the NFL.

What a description. "Will not deserve to start in the NFL."

I personally see Landry coming back next year. I don't think he'll come out now, similar to what Bradford did.

CMR#20
10-25-2011, 08:30 AM
Oklahoma recruited a 5 star quarterback Blake Bell. Bell is a freshman redshirt. Bell will transfer if Jones returns. I am certain Jones is declaring.

RCSooner
10-25-2011, 11:28 AM
I'm probably the only Sooner fan who thinks Landry will be a bust in the NFL. He'll probably go in Round One based on Bradford's success, but that doesn't equal success for Landry in the NFL. He's like Joey Harrington IMO...

FUNBUNCHER
10-25-2011, 12:38 PM
Of the top rated QBs heading into the 2012 draft, Landry Jones is the guy who scares me the most.

If he went to a team set up like the Patriots with their hybrid spread I think he would do fine.

Otherwise I could see him struggling at times. He doesn't elevate his game as much as I would like.

It's really hard to evaluate guys who play for talent rich programs like Oklahoma.

In the '80s and '90s FSU had some of the best QBs in college football, but not one of them was the same player in the pros.

I think Charlie Ward could have been a solid pro QB but it wasn't his favorite sport.

OGDraft
10-26-2011, 04:54 PM
On Landry Jones, I don't like him much. He's a JAG on a great team. He doesn't do anything overly impressive. His accuracy is average, his arm is average, his athleticism is average, his size is average, and he really just doesn't seem to lead that team at all. I don't see a player with much command over his teammates when I watch Landry Jones. To me, Landry Jones is just kind of..."there". Average is fine, there have been amazing QBs in the NFL with average everything...but the latter point is the sticky mess.

Agree with this 100%. Nothing about him makes me say he'll be an excellent franchise QB one day. He's very average. He's inconsistent too and struggles when he's pressured. There's more bad than good around Jones imo.

LookItsAlDavis
10-26-2011, 11:43 PM
He's similar to Gabbert in terms of pocket presence, and that scares me. That system and supporting cast really masks some of his deficiencies. He has an okay arm, but he never makes any kind of "wow" throw with either accuracy or strength. He's not very mobile, and is really only consistent on throws under 15 yards. Look at what Texas Tech did to him..They took away underneath throws for majority of the game and he struggled.There's also always that "i lost my puppy" look on his face when **** isn't going well, kind of like what Matt Cassel does. Best case scenario, he'll be like a Jason Campbell in the NFL. He won't lose you the game, but he won't win it for you, either.

nepg
10-27-2011, 09:53 AM
Yeah, he's similar to Gabbert in the bad ways and isn't nearly as talented or gifted in the other things that matter. I simply don't get the Landry Jones "Franchise QB" talk.

RCSooner
10-27-2011, 10:12 PM
Landry just has a good arm and Ryan Broyles and Kenny Stills to throw to, but that's it. I think he's the most overrated prospect in this draft.

GoBroncos
10-29-2011, 05:43 PM
500+ yards passing today. Yeah, he isn't any good. He will be a bust in the NFL. Any more commentary? LOL

Raiderz4Life
10-29-2011, 05:53 PM
500+ yards passing today. Yeah, he isn't any good. He will be a bust in the NFL. Any more commentary? LOL

Yes because 1 college game will determine he will bust and another will determine he's not. You're being just as bad as the OP.

RaiderNation
10-29-2011, 06:31 PM
Jason White put up those kind of numbers in the Oklahoma offense, how's he doing? Sam Bradford isn't looking that great either this year. Landry is a top 20 prospect, but he isn't the franchise QB prospect some make him out to be.

jth1331
10-29-2011, 11:49 PM
Jason White put up those kind of numbers in the Oklahoma offense, how's he doing? Sam Bradford isn't looking that great either this year. Landry is a top 20 prospect, but he isn't the franchise QB prospect some make him out to be.

Jason White's knees were basically shot and dead when he came out. Plus, the age thing. Was he a high round prospect? Probably not, but still people need to stop bringing him up.
Landry is back to showing inconsistency this year. He started out great IMO, but has reverted back to making a horrible decision followed up by amazing throws. He would definitely be a QB that should sit and fine tune his skills, ala Locker.
Although, it seriously wouldn't surprise me if he came back next year at this point. I think his value took a dip after the loss and some shaky starts to games. OU will lose Broyles, but still have good WR's and solid RB's to work with.

RaiderNation
10-30-2011, 12:40 AM
Jason White's knees were basically shot and dead when he came out. Plus, the age thing. Was he a high round prospect? Probably not, but still people need to stop bringing him up.
Landry is back to showing inconsistency this year. He started out great IMO, but has reverted back to making a horrible decision followed up by amazing throws. He would definitely be a QB that should sit and fine tune his skills, ala Locker.
Although, it seriously wouldn't surprise me if he came back next year at this point. I think his value took a dip after the loss and some shaky starts to games. OU will lose Broyles, but still have good WR's and solid RB's to work with.

I'm bringing up White since it doesn't take a great QB to put up those type of stats in that offense. Jones is much more talented than White, but I'm just saying he isn't the top 10 pick that some are claiming.

yo123
10-30-2011, 12:49 AM

Good God this is the worst post in the history of this forum. Chris Weinke threw for 500 yards a couple of times in college too. Go away.

nepg
10-30-2011, 01:03 AM
Your post is extremely contradictory...

How can a QB be a Top 20 prospect and not be considered a franchise QB? If you're drafting a QB in the First Round, that's your franchise. Also, QBs are either at the very top of the rankings, or not on the rankings at all, imo.

I'd start looking at Jones in the 3rd round (depending on the team) as a backup.

Crimson79
10-30-2011, 06:40 AM
Sam Bradford isn't looking that great either this year.

The Rams offensive line and wide receivers would make Tom Brady look like garbage too.

AntoinCD
10-30-2011, 08:28 AM
At times Jones looked very good yesterday. I really liked the TD pass to the TE down the seam in I think the 3rd quarter. In saying that he wasn't pressured at all all day. Some throws were not great and the offense helps. I still think he's a top 10 pick but Barkley helped himself more yesterday than Jones despite the numbers

norcalgsr
12-02-2011, 05:56 PM
Landry Jones=Kevin Kolb

http://www.holyturf.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Landry-Jones-throwing-AP-Chris-OMeara.jpg
http://houston.culturemap.com/site_media/uploads/photos/2011-02-02/kevin_kolb_throw.350w_263h.jpg

ellsy82
12-02-2011, 06:12 PM
He has top 20 potential...Next year. When Geno Smith and Brock Osweisler will push him back to the middle of the first round again.

descendency
12-02-2011, 10:25 PM
Landry Jones=Kevin Kolb

http://www.holyturf.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Landry-Jones-throwing-AP-Chris-OMeara.jpg
http://houston.culturemap.com/site_media/uploads/photos/2011-02-02/kevin_kolb_throw.350w_263h.jpg

Landry needs more tilt.

jth1331
12-04-2011, 11:01 PM
He completely regressed during the latter half of the year.
Seriously, after that Bedlam game fiasco, he almost should come back next year as I don't think he could hurt his stock anymore, but has a lot to gain.
Before the season, I claimed he's a 1st round pick that could push his way to top 10/top 5 depending on his play. Throughout the beginning of the season, he was looking to me going more top 15/top 10. Then it spiraled down to latter half of the 1st round, and now I don't have a clue where he could go. He has the tools, he just needs a coach to really coach him up and have him sit for a year or two and then I think he could be a pretty darn good QB.

Iamcanadian
12-04-2011, 11:32 PM
Again I repeat, Stoops is a weak HC who depends on far superior talent to win games. When Stoops comes up against an equally talented team, his won and loss record is below average.
This simple fact has brought a lot of Oklahoma players problems in the draft because their abilities doesn't always match the overall team's efforts.
While I agree that Jones has had problems this year in his consistency, I always wonder if this is totally his fault or another case of Stoops having his team play below their potential.
If he declares, I will be very interested to see how he functions in the post season completely away from his HC. The Combine could still see this prospect go pretty high in round 1, if he can demonstrate much greater consistency during the post season process. If he cannot overcome his inconsistencies then I can see a substantial drop in his draft worth, but I need to see a lot more before I write him off.

FUNBUNCHER
12-05-2011, 01:42 AM
Case Keenum would have been a star at OU. So would Matt Barkley and Andrew Luck.

It's really hard for lay people who follow the draft like all of us to evaluate OU quarterbacks because any starting QB playing for the Sooners is annually surrounded by some of the best prep talent in college football.
Like some others I was high on Landry Jones before the start of the season and had a hard time watching his game regress.

Something isn't there that should be for a potential top 10 franchise QB. His stats this year were virtually identical to Tannehill's, except that Landry Jones had more attempts and completions.

My baseline for OU quarterbacks before I attempt to evaluate their overall game is that I expect them to execute Stoops' offense at a Jason WHite/Bradford level. Landry Jones this year has not and much of the fault IMO is his own lack of execution.

Not throwing for a TD against Iowa State and showing up small in OU's biggest games this season is not a good sign for Jones.

I still think Jones can develop into an NFL starter but I no longer see any elite qualities about him, other than an NFL caliber arm.

descendency
12-05-2011, 01:58 AM
Part of Landry Jones' stat problem is Blake Bell.

FUNBUNCHER
12-05-2011, 02:20 AM
That's just it.

If Landry Jones were executing at truly an elite level in Bob Stoops' mind I don't think the Sooners would have this 'wrinkle' in their playbook. Just my opinion.

But yeah it does hurt Jones that whenever the Sooners get to the five yard line a goal line specialist comes in.

RaiderNation
12-05-2011, 03:01 AM
Jones should stay in school, but the lure of being a top 15 pick could make Landry come out. He's clearly behind Luck, Barkley, RG3 and Wilson IMO.

niel89
12-05-2011, 03:22 AM
Jones should stay in school, but the lure of being a top 15 pick could make Landry come out. He's clearly behind Luck, Barkley, RG3 and Wilson IMO.

I think that the temptation of coming out increases greatly if 1 or 2 of those guys decide to come back. I could see Barkley & Wilson looking to stay for another year, and then being the #3 QB looks pretty good. A lot of teams need QBs and I'm sure that 3 guys will probably go sometime in the first.

bruschis4all
12-05-2011, 05:13 AM
Just remember some of Ponder and Locker's disasterous performances last year when speculating that Landry will fall too far.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
12-05-2011, 05:19 AM
Just remember some of Ponder and Locker's disasterous performances last year when speculating that Landry will fall too far.

The difference is that both Ponder and Locker have much better tools than Landry. Landry just flat out isn't an NFL caliber QB. I've watched him many times and he's just so average. Tony Pike 2.0.

bruschis4all
12-05-2011, 07:33 AM
The difference is that both Ponder and Locker have much better tools than Landry. Landry just flat out isn't an NFL caliber QB. I've watched him many times and he's just so average. Tony Pike 2.0.

You mean tools like bigger and stronger don't count? Or, much more passing experience? Or, just as good an arm?

SolidGold
12-05-2011, 07:33 AM

I think Blake Bell might push Landry Jones out of Oklahoma early. Tool wise he is the prototype QB but his lackluster senior season will drop him down draft boards. I really do not see much of a difference between Jones and Bradford, how Bradford went #1 is fairly puzzling.

SolidGold
12-05-2011, 07:34 AM

Jones has a very strong arm and has pretty good accuracy - not great accuracy but good accuracy. He has made impressive throws but I think he missed Broyles once he blew his ACL.

BeerBaron
12-05-2011, 07:46 AM
He'll be drafted high because he passes the eye test as a passer with good size and a good arm.

But I wouldn't touch him. Let some other team have a less-terrible Blaine Gabbert.

iowatreat54
12-05-2011, 09:31 AM
He'll be drafted high because he passes the eye test as a passer with good size and a good arm.

But I wouldn't touch him. Let some other team have a less-terrible Blaine Gabbert.

Funny you should mention Gabbert because his huge game vs. Iowa in the Insight Bowl last year all but sealed his decision to leave early.

Jones gets to face a much worse Iowa defense this bowl season. I expect him to put up ridiculous numbers and declare right after that. And everyone will use that huge game as support for how great they think he is.

BeerBaron
12-05-2011, 09:33 AM
Funny you should mention Gabbert because his huge game vs. Iowa in the Insight Bowl last year all but sealed his decision to leave early.

Jones gets to face a much worse Iowa defense this bowl season. I expect him to put up ridiculous numbers and declare right after that. And everyone will use that huge game as support for how great they think he is.

Haha, that'll be funny. I'm just glad my team isn't picking in the top 10 in need of a QB.

jth1331
12-05-2011, 09:41 AM

Wilson? Really?

What tools do they have above Landry? Be honest. Landry has a good arm, athletic and has shown the ability to have very good accuracy. This is a good comparison to Ponder IMO who went 12th.

I think Blake Bell might push Landry Jones out of Oklahoma early. Tool wise he is the prototype QB but his lackluster senior season will drop him down draft boards. I really do not see much of a difference between Jones and Bradford, how Bradford went #1 is fairly puzzling.

Bradford had elite accuracy and smarts. I mean, Bradford put up a fantasy year in 2008 for OU. Landry never touched that playing with similar talent.

Also, for the Bell package, it freakin worked nearly every single time. Why not use it when it all but guarantees you a TD? Baylor never stopped it all game.

DraftSavant
12-05-2011, 11:44 AM

Oh, the game where he drifted out of the pocket for no reason other than to throw a terrible ball to the sideline that got picked off and ran back for a game-losing TD?

YM4L8WQeNMo

Yes, that play happened and BG was still somehow considered a surefire first rounder/top QB prospect.

Funny story, Jaguar GM Gene Smith was at that game to scout Stanzi with him Director of College Scouting. During the game, said Director asked Smith what he thought of Stanzi. Smith replied: "I dunno, I've been too busy watching the Missouri kid."

Smith has also admitted to not doing a ton of scouting work on Eugene Monroe, because he didn't think he'd be available to them at their pick. So I'm almost positive that Smith saw this game, got smitten, and blew a load when the Titans took Locker at 8.

**** my life. **** the NFL.

BeerBaron
12-05-2011, 11:52 AM
I don't think Jones would be as bad as Gabbert...that'd be hard to pull off unless your name is Quinn or Clausen...

I just know I wouldn't touch him. So many guys getting pushed up the boards with nothing more than arm strength and height. Important traits, but irrelevant if that is literally all you have.

Babylon
12-05-2011, 02:04 PM

Jones and Ponder i think are pretty similar in throwing the ball although Ponder is more agile. As for Locker he's much the better physical prospect than Jones and that one isnt really close.

iowatreat54
12-05-2011, 03:25 PM
Oh, the game where he drifted out of the pocket for no reason other than to throw a terrible ball to the sideline that got picked off and ran back for a game-losing TD?

YM4L8WQeNMo

Yes, that play happened and BG was still somehow considered a surefire first rounder/top QB prospect.

Funny story, Jaguar GM Gene Smith was at that game to scout Stanzi with him Director of College Scouting. During the game, said Director asked Smith what he thought of Stanzi. Smith replied: "I dunno, I've been too busy watching the Missouri kid."

Smith has also admitted to not doing a ton of scouting work on Eugene Monroe, because he didn't think he'd be available to them at their pick. So I'm almost positive that Smith saw this game, got smitten, and blew a load when the Titans took Locker at 8.

**** my life. **** the NFL.

Yes, the very same! Great game, great game...

But seriously, I haven't watched one minute of Gabbert this season, but I remember after watching that game where he was lighting us up when sitting in the pocket, but would get ridiculous happy feet for no reason and just bail on a perfectly good pocket. As soon as he did that, his throws sucked and he tried to force things. Is he still having the same issues?

BeerBaron
12-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Yes, the very same! Great game, great game...

But seriously, I haven't watched one minute of Gabbert this season, but I remember after watching that game where he was lighting us up when sitting in the pocket, but would get ridiculous happy feet for no reason and just bail on a perfectly good pocket. As soon as he did that, his throws sucked and he tried to force things. Is he still having the same issues?

Worse now. Those exact issues, but worse. I highly recommend that everyone watch tonight just to see this spectacle. The Chargers aren't the best opponent, because Turner's Aura of Suck can make the impossible possible (for the other team) but Gabbert should still look awful.