PDA

View Full Version : RavenOfProphecy's Cornerback Rankings!

Matthew Jones
09-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Just went through and reviewed a bunch of the cornerbacks eligible for this draft for my positional rankings. Since they're taking a long time to finish, I figured I'd post the cornerback evaluations I did and get some feedback. Really good group of cover guys this year!

RavenOfProphecy's Cornerback Rankings

1. Xavier Rhodes, Florida St.** (6'1", 215, 4.55)

Great size and a muscular frame. Can overpower receivers at the line of scrimmage. Not the most explosive player but can keep up with quicker wideouts. Only a redshirt sophomore. Can bite on double moves.

2. Morris Claiborne, Louisiana St.* (6'0", 185, 4.45)

Has a long frame and the athleticism and hips to match up on smaller receivers. Dangerous returner. Equally proficient on the sidelines and over the middle. Physical in press coverage. Could add bulk. Misses some tackles.

3. Stephon Gilmore, South Carolina* (6'1", 195, 4.50)

Nice size and speed. Closes on the ball extremely quickly - great blitzer. Plays with a swagger. Can make the big hit. Has nice ball skills. Also a dangerous punt returner. Can get overly aggressive at times.

4. Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama* (6'2", 190, 4.50)

Great height and length. More physical and a better tackler than you'd expect. Can press wide receivers effectively at the line of scrimmage. Must improve bulk and strength - can be outmuscled by bigger receivers.

5. Chase Minnifield, Virginia (6'0", 185, 4.50)

Tall with long arms. Physical and can make big hits. Willing run support. Can blitz the quarterback. Plays the ball very well - high points and has good timing. Strong recognition skills. Could stand to add more bulk.

1-2

6. Cliff Harris, Oregon* (5'11", 170, 4.50)

Takes great angles in coverage and attacks the ball like a wide receiver. Amazing ball skills and playmaking ability. Dynamite returner. Usually plays way off, giving a big cushion. Has a thin frame. Character must be closely investigated.

7. Janoris Jenkins, North Alabama (5'10", 180, 4.45)

Sublime man coverage ability. Locked down A.J. Green and Julio Jones last season. Great ball skills and anticipation. Strong blitzer. Character is a serious concern - dismissed from the Gators. Misses too many tackles.

8. Alfonzo Dennard, Nebraska (5'10", 205, 4.50)

Strong and gets a good jam at the line. Awareness allows him to make plays on the ball. Strong hands. Adequate hips. Better on the outside than on crossing routes. Inconsistent vs. the run. Arms look shorter than average.

9. Jayron Hosley, Virginia Tech* (5'10", 170, 4.50)

Showcases elite anticipatory skills and ball skills and comes away with an inordinate amount of interceptions. Dynamic with the ball in his hands. Struggles against the run. Needs to add a significant amount of bulk.

10. Brandon Boykin, Georgia (5'10", 185, 4.45)

Has natural coverage skills and fluid hips. Explosive athleticism allows him to contribute on offense, defense, and special teams in a variety of ways. Struggles to disengage from blockers in run support. Size is only adequate.

2-3

11. Coryell Judie, Texas A&M (5'11", 190, 4.50)

Dynamic kick returner. Has strong hands and ball skills. Well put-together frame that suggests durability. Most comfortable playing in off coverage. Allows too much separation. Must improve hand use.

12. Donnie Fletcher, Boston College (6'1", 195, 4.55)

Great height and freakishly long limbs. Good hands and ball skills. Does a nice job shedding blocks and making tackles. Hips are very fluid and does not break on the ball quickly. Lacks top end speed. Zone corner.

Other notable prospects

Further evaluation is needed before I rank these prospects, but they will probably be appearing on the list in the near future!

Omar Bolden, Arizona St. (5'10", 195, 4.50)

Casey Hayward, Vanderbilt (5'11", 190, 4.55)

Greg Reid, Florida St.* (5'8", 185, 4.50)

Shaun Prater, Iowa (5'10", 185, 4.50)

Josh Robinson, UCF* (5'10", 190, 4.45)

Desmond Trufant, Washington* (6'0", 185, 4.50)

tjsunstein
09-18-2011, 10:08 AM
There are a handful of good prospects in this class but none of them stand out over the rest at this point for me. Claiborne has impressed me, though.

shylo3716
09-18-2011, 10:11 AM
How long will it be before the clear cut #1 ranking leaves Kirkpatrick?

Matthew Jones
09-18-2011, 10:15 AM
How long will it be before the clear cut #1 ranking leaves Kirkpatrick?

Not sure. The top four are certainly close for me but I feel like Kirkpatrick is almost too tall for his own good, and he might be a little bit gangly for the NFL. I went with the guys who I think more fit the prototype of an elite CB in the pros. I still think each of the four has a shot to go top 15, and all should be off the board by #20 or so.

YAYareaRB
09-18-2011, 10:22 AM
so no Pat Petes have emerged thus far? i expected this. ill keep an eye claiborne though.

Big Bird
09-18-2011, 10:47 AM
Robert Blanton and Micah Hyde both belong on there. Both were studs yesterday in particular.

Big Bird
09-18-2011, 10:49 AM
Oh, and Coryell Judie isn't even the best Corner on his team. Not a big knock against him, but Terrence Frederick is a better player.

shylo3716
09-18-2011, 11:07 AM
This is very very painful to my eyes that I see not 1 guy projected under a 4.4 40 time.

It's a plus to be physical, but what are you going to do against the deep ball at the next level?

This is going to make Al Davis flatline come Draft day.

BigBanger
09-18-2011, 01:59 PM
Against Boise St. was the first time I've really watched Brandon Boykin from an armchair scouts perspective and I saw a lot of blown coverages on his part where sat in a zone and simply got lost in coverage. His awareness and execution of his responsibilities was borderline atrocious. There were three blown coverages on his part where he was just standing around, not really covering anyone, all which resulted in TD catches. Maybe he just had a bad game, but he looked pretty terrible against the pass in week 1. Since he plays in off coverage I didn't get a chance to see how he does in press coverage, with the jam and his patience, but when in off coverage ... he looked like he dropped and then just read the QBs eyes while WRs are running wide open behind or in front of him. He looked like a freshman who didn't know what he was doing. His run support ability is also not where it should be. He seems to be in position to make plays against the run, but simply doesn't. He had quite a few missed tackles against Boise St.

Janoris Jenkins also shut down Alshon Jeffery last year as well. I think he only gave up 3 or 4 catches against him and forced about the same amount of incompletions. He also didn't give up any big plays. His coverages skills are, far and away, the best from this class.

I watched Xavier Rhodes last night and only saw one pass attempt his way and it was a completion to Kenny Stills, who made a great catch on a double move. Just looking at that one play, he bit on the hitch and then struggled flipping his hips and accelerating to catch up. He eventually did, but he couldn't get his head around to make a play on the ball and ended up interfering on the catch (which wasn't called). He looked a little high and tight. Other than that being a little tight, he looks like he has a ton of ability.

Chase Minnifield is really talented. I thought USC exposed him a little bit last year when in man coverage and his speed is still a question mark with him, but his skills are worthy of a top 20 prospect. Very fluid and a natural athlete with incredible leaping ability and ball skills. He's a personal favorite, but I do question his speed after watching the USC game last year.

I think there's five or six CBs with legitimate first round potential. This is a really good class.

Big Bird
09-18-2011, 02:22 PM
Janoris Jenkins is a top 10 talent. He may have baggage, but his coverage skills are simply incredible. Reminds me a lot of Pacman Jones in many, many ways.

shylo3716
09-18-2011, 02:33 PM
Janoris Jenkins is a top 10 talent. He may have baggage, but his coverage skills are simply incredible. Reminds me a lot of Pacman Jones in many, many ways.

Only teams I see taking a First Round gamble is...... Oakland, Dallas, Jacksonville, Cincinnati

Matthew Jones
09-18-2011, 03:32 PM
Only teams I see taking a First Round gamble is...... Oakland, Dallas, Jacksonville, Cincinnati

Jacksonville is known to look for squeaky clean guys, I highly doubt they'd go for Jenkins.

shylo3716
09-18-2011, 03:43 PM
Jacksonville is known to look for squeaky clean guys, I highly doubt they'd go for Jenkins.

Anything is possible especially if they take TALENT into consideration. They need that "guy" to lock down the CB spot since Mathis has slid over too.

ChiFan24
09-18-2011, 05:15 PM
Robert Blanton and Micah Hyde both belong on there. Both were studs yesterday in particular.

Well Blanton is less awful than Gary Gray. So he has that going for him.