PDA

View Full Version : Sproles TD - Why no review/overturn?

BeerBaron
09-18-2011, 03:45 PM
Say what you will about it not really affecting the game. They were already ahead, they probably would have just scored right after that....whatever. This play was apparently not reviewed as every scoring play is supposed to be and if it was, it was a horrible blown call not overturning the call and putting the ball on the 1 yard line.

Now, someone, please tell me how this is a TD:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/BeerBaron/sproles1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/BeerBaron/sproles3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v613/BeerBaron/sproles2.jpg

He is a full yard shy of the TD.

Breed
09-18-2011, 03:48 PM
Where's Mike Peria when you need him?

vidae
09-18-2011, 03:51 PM
Yeah BB, that was a pretty bogus call.

BeerBaron
09-18-2011, 03:53 PM
Yeah BB, that was a pretty bogus call.

Yeah, definitely bogus. Like, I realize it was unlikely to affect the outcome of the game, but if the NFL is going to keep making up rules, the least they could do is enforce them consistently.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/18/saints-get-a-gift-from-the-replay-official/

This year, every touchdown is subject to review.

Apparently, “every” doesn’t mean what it used to mean.

"Every - all possible; the greatest possible degree of: every prospect of success."

the new jesus
09-18-2011, 03:56 PM
Its cuz the Rogerz Goodellz wants the Bears to get buried early in the season so he told the officiating crew to cost them the game.

Flyboy
09-18-2011, 03:57 PM
Okay, so the refs missed overturning the TD. The refs also made an awful call in the first quarter that led to the TD anyhow with the roughing the pass call. Is this really thread-worthy?

ElectricEye
09-18-2011, 03:58 PM
It was against the rules. The rule doesn't mean anything if you enforce it arbitrarily. Doesn't mean anything with the score the way it ended up being, but it's still crap.

BeerBaron
09-18-2011, 03:58 PM
Okay, so the refs missed overturning the TD. The refs also made an awful call in the first quarter that led to the TD anyhow with the roughing the pass call. Is this really thread-worthy?

Yes. Why wasn't this reviewed as every scoring play is supposed to be? If it wasn't reviewed, why? If it was, how could it be blown so bad? There is indisputable evidence right there that the ball is a full yard away from the end zone with his foot out of bounds.

Like I said, if the NFL wants to keep making rules, enforce them consistently.

BeerBaron
09-18-2011, 03:59 PM
Plus, if this were a playoff game...or this game were closer...would it have been reviewed then? I wonder...

Auron
09-18-2011, 04:01 PM
Its cuz the Rogerz Goodellz wants the Bears to get buried early in the season so he told the officiating crew to cost them the game.

That's not true the Bears did receive some beneficial calls early on in the game.

Overall the Officiating was pretty terrible in the Bears/Saints games for both sides. Awful Roughing the Passer call on the Saints on what was a routine hit. Then they missed a late hit out of bounds, and I believe they were then intimidated into re-spotting the ball to a more favorable spot for the Saints..which makes no sense.

Didn't get much better the rest of the game as they were pretty inconsistent in their calls.

BeerBaron
09-18-2011, 04:03 PM
That's not true the Bears did receive some beneficial calls early on in the game.

Overall the Officiating was pretty terrible in the Bears/Saints games for both sides. Awful Roughing the Passer call on the Saints on what was a routine hit. Then they missed a late hit out of bounds, and I believe they were then intimidated into re-spotting the ball to a more favorable spot for the Saints..which makes no sense.

Didn't get much better the rest of the game as they were pretty inconsistent in their calls.

Nothing I will disagree with, but this isn't one official spotting a ball badly or missing a penalty...

This is something the NFL added this offseason and is emphasizing.

I'm going to be spamming refresh PFT and watching all the Sunday Night wrap up shows trying to find the league's official explanation of why this wasn't reviewed or, if it was (VERY fast review if it was,) why it wasn't overturned when even a 5 year old could tell you he's short of the end zone.

vidae
09-18-2011, 04:04 PM
It doesn't matter what the outcome would have been had the call been overturned.. it matters that the rules obviously aren't being enforced correctly or fair.

Since BB already said that, I agree with him 100%. Either review them all or review none of them.. you can't pick and choose.

Flyboy
09-18-2011, 04:04 PM
Yes. Why wasn't this reviewed as every scoring play is supposed to be? If it wasn't reviewed, why? If it was, how could it be blown so bad? There is indisputable evidence right there that the ball is a full yard away from the end zone with his foot out of bounds.

I'm pretty sure the play was reviewed, it just wasn't overturned.

EDIT: Joe Buck made mentioned of how the play was still deemed a TD..

BeerBaron
09-18-2011, 04:06 PM
I'm pretty sure the play was reviewed, it just wasn't overturned.

How could it not be overturned if it was reviewed? He's clearly and obviously out of bounds a yard shy of the end zone. I've seen far less obvious calls overturned.

BeerBaron
09-18-2011, 04:08 PM
Per PFT in the link I already posted above:

But the guys in the replay booth never buzzed the referee to take a closer look at it. And so the referee never looked at it. And so the touchdown stands.

A.) It should have been looked at.
B.) If it was looked at, it should have been overturned.

the new jesus
09-18-2011, 04:09 PM
How could it not be overturned if it was reviewed? He's clearly and obviously out of bounds a yard shy of the end zone. I've seen far less obvious calls overturned.

For one thing they don't slow down or take screenshots of the play. The watch the replays at live speed. If there isn't indisputable evidence, the play stands.

Raiderz4Life
09-18-2011, 04:50 PM
For one thing they don't slow down or take screenshots of the play. The watch the replays at live speed. If there isn't indisputable evidence, the play stands.

How was there no indisputable evidence? they see the play from various angles. That was clear as day.

ChiFan24
09-18-2011, 04:56 PM
I didn't really care about this one since I'd already given up on the game..... but why did we have to use a challenge last week on Hester's non-TD?

BeerBaron
09-18-2011, 04:57 PM
They basically have everything that the TV broadcast has access too iirc. They can freeze it, slow it down, etc.

Anyway, the NFL is probably just going to ignore it and hope it goes away. Or they'll just say "they didn't see evidence enough for further review" or something and stick with it.

Shane P. Hallam
09-18-2011, 05:11 PM

It was reviewed upstairs, they still didn't see it on the replay and kept play going. Just because it is reviewed doesn't mean they look at every angle before resuming play. They will look at one replay and determine whether it needs further review. The angle they got probably didn't see the foot.

BeerBaron
09-18-2011, 05:12 PM
It was reviewed upstairs, they still didn't see it on the replay and kept play going.

But they've actually stopped play for the refs to look at lesser calls than this. And how can you look at that replay and not see it? Go look at the video on NFL.com and even in full speed, it's questionable enough to call for further review.

It's a case where the NFL decided to just not follow it's own rule. This clearly should have been overturned.

Shane P. Hallam
09-18-2011, 05:14 PM
But they've actually stopped play for the refs to look at lesser calls than this. And how can you look at that replay and not see it? Go look at the video on NFL.com and even in full speed, it's questionable enough to call for further review.

It's a case where the NFL decided to just not follow it's own rule. This clearly should have been overturned.

How did they decide not to follow their own rule? They reviewed it and kept going. They didn't just flat out ignore it. They missed the call and missed the call on the replay. It's a mistake, it happens, move on.

J-Mike88
09-18-2011, 05:14 PM
Thank goodness it didn't affect the outcome of a very important game, but still, whoever is in charge of that at that game, should be fined a week's pay, and suspended another week.

Plays like that, ON TAPE, on REPLAY, should never be obvious mistakes.
I can't stand refs, except when they F up in my team's favor.

BeerBaron
09-18-2011, 05:18 PM
How did they decide not to follow their own rule? They reviewed it and kept going. They didn't just flat out ignore it. They missed the call and missed the call on the replay. It's a mistake, it happens, move on.

So if this play were the deciding factor of a post season game, they wouldn't have had the ref take another look? The extra point happened in what felt like about 10 seconds after the play.

Anyone who saw this knows it should have been overturned. The league will sweep it under the rug and hope it never happens again. Just because it was meaningless to the outcome of the game this time doesn't mean it will be next time.

The NFL is doing a ****** job in general of applying their rules consistently. This isn't the only example. There are guys who draw flags for perfectly legal hits while illegal ones (like Roman Harper hitting Earl Bennett, who seemed to be the definition of a "defenseless" receiver) go unflagged.

J-Mike88
09-18-2011, 05:22 PM
So if this play were the deciding factor of a post season game, they wouldn't have had the ref take another look? The extra point happened in what felt like about 10 seconds after the play.

Anyone who saw this knows it should have been overturned. The league will sweep it under the rug and hope it never happens again. Just because it was meaningless to the outcome of the game this time doesn't mean it will be next time.

The NFL is doing a ****** job in general of applying their rules consistently. This isn't the only example. There are guys who draw flags for perfectly legal hits while illegal ones (like Roman Harper hitting Earl Bennett, who seemed to be the definition of a "defenseless" receiver) go unflagged.
Again, agree with BearsFan, which is hard to do.
I think the quality of officiating has certainly not kept pace with the quality of play.
Shouldn't refs be in their 30's, not 60's?

BeerBaron
09-18-2011, 06:09 PM
5 minutes were just taken to review whether or not the Pats had 12 men on the field during an extra point attempt. The Sproles play could not have received more than a quick glance or two by the replay official before the XP.

Inconsistent NFL.

descendency
09-18-2011, 08:52 PM
They only have to review the dance he does after he scores.

Saints-Tigers
09-18-2011, 08:53 PM
Yea, I don't get it, that's a huge robbery. We'd have scored anyway, but still.

Saints-Tigers
09-18-2011, 08:54 PM
Seriously though, where is hte justification? "We review every TD, when we want to."??

ElectricEye
09-18-2011, 09:28 PM
Just reviewed an obvious TD by Gonzo in the Faclons/Eagles game. I mean obvious. His knee game down in the end zone, real easy call....still took the time out to look at it.

Flyboy
09-18-2011, 10:08 PM

How come Charles Woodson wasn't thrown out of the Week One game for a blatant punch to Dave Thomas yet a flag was thrown? *shrugs*

Things are missed - I highly doubt that Sproles TD getting overturned would have had a drastic overall factor of the game; we'll never know for sure, but still.

Saints-Tigers
09-18-2011, 10:12 PM
Idk flyboy, I'd agree with you if the NFL didn't make it seem like they were reviewing EVERY call. I mean, I thought that's what was said?

vidae
09-18-2011, 10:12 PM
How come Charles Woodson wasn't thrown out of the Week One game for a blatant punch to Dave Thomas yet a flag was thrown? *shrugs*

Things are missed - I highly doubt that Sproles TD getting overturned would have had a drastic overall factor of the game; we'll never know for sure, but still.

That isn't the point. The point is if you're going to come out with a new rule and make it a point to enforce it, you do it on EVERY. SINGLE. TOUCHDOWN. It doesn't matter if it wouldn't have had an impact, they can't pick and choose what they want to review. That is the point here, and they messed up.

the new jesus
09-18-2011, 10:18 PM
That isn't the point. The point is if you're going to come out with a new rule and make it a point to enforce it, you do it on EVERY. SINGLE. TOUCHDOWN. It doesn't matter if it wouldn't have had an impact, they can't pick and choose what they want to review. That is the point here, and they messed up.

They did review it but the call was missed.

BeerBaron
09-18-2011, 11:51 PM
They did review it but the call was missed.

See, this is impossible. If they gave that play a legitimate review, it would have been overturned. The Saints probably would have scored the very next play anyway...but that isn't what is at question here.

Far less obvious plays have been overturned than this. I provided the screenshots. It was OBVIOUS he was out of bounds with the ball a full yard shy of the end zone.

Yet the replay official did not signal the referee to take another look. The XP took play shortly after the score with no look by the head official.

It probably didn't affect the outcome of the game this time around, but if the NFL wants to be consistent, they should have reviewed the damn play.

wogitalia
09-19-2011, 12:50 AM
Calvin Johnson Karma Bus perhaps?

Really that is the only thing I can think of that could lead to this outcome.

Saints-Tigers
09-19-2011, 12:51 AM
They didn't review that ****.

descendency
09-19-2011, 01:17 AM
The NFLs review system is total **** compared to college football.

MetSox17
09-19-2011, 01:35 AM
They need to go back and ***** out the clock guy that was working the Dallas-San Fran game. There was a couple of instances where they really ****** the Cowboys, almost lost because of it.

Ngatachance92
09-19-2011, 07:21 AM
And that's why they need to take the power of review away from Buffalo Wild Wings and give it back to the officials. Those guys are Dicks...

BeerBaron
09-19-2011, 07:52 AM
And that's why they need to take the power of review away from Buffalo Wild Wings and give it back to the officials. Those guys are Dicks...

Don't the Buffalo Wild Wings people try to extend the games?

Ngatachance92
09-19-2011, 08:06 AM
Don't the Buffalo Wild Wings people try to extend the games?

Sprioles sisters babies daddies cousin was in charge of officiating at the store in charge of reviews that day, he was promptly let go afterwards.

Jughead10
09-19-2011, 08:52 AM
Can coaches still throw the red flag on scoring plays if the booth doesn't review it?

BeerBaron
09-19-2011, 08:53 AM
Can coaches still throw the red flag on scoring plays if the booth doesn't review it?

No, they apparently draw a penalty when they try to do that.

http://sports-kings.com/?p=3485

Not only did the Raiders lose a heartbreaker Sunday in Buffalo, the first-year Oakland head coach also made a first year mistake. Hue Jackson cost his team a 15 yard penalty by throwing the red challenge flag for an non-challengable play.

Even that article says it:

"Every touchdown is supposed to be reviewed upstairs this year, and this certainly qualifies as a close play."

Not "some," not "when we feel like it," but EVERY. EVERY SINGLE ONE. And if any reasonable person looked at the Sproles TD even one time, they would have found cause for further review. But no.

Jughead10
09-19-2011, 08:58 AM
No, they apparently draw a penalty when they try to do that.

http://sports-kings.com/?p=3485

Even that article says it:

"Every touchdown is supposed to be reviewed upstairs this year, and this certainly qualifies as a close play."

Not "some," not "when we feel like it," but EVERY. EVERY SINGLE ONE. And if any reasonable person looked at the Sproles TD even one time, they would have found cause for further review. But no.

That's BS then. If the system fails as it did here, the coach should still be allowed to throw a flag at his risk of losing a TO.

Giantsfan1080
09-19-2011, 11:25 AM
Apparently the ref upstairs tried to signal down to the field to review the play but there was a communication problem. The signal didn't work.

BeerBaron
09-19-2011, 11:29 AM
Apparently the ref upstairs tried to signal down to the field to review the play but there was a communication problem. The signal didn't work.

I'm not sure if that makes me feel better or worse...

If that is the case, what would happen if there was a "communication problem" on a key play of the Superbowl? Why is there no plan B?

The coach can't challenge a scoring play anymore or else he'll get flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct..so that's out as an option.

There should really be a Plan B NFL.

Giantsfan1080
09-19-2011, 11:31 AM
I'm not sure if that makes me feel better or worse...

If that is the case, what would happen if there was a "communication problem" on a key play of the Superbowl? Why is there no plan B?

The coach can't challenge a scoring play anymore or else he'll get flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct..so that's out as an option.

There should really be a Plan B NFL.

It makes me feel worse. They need a Plan B immediately.

BeerBaron
09-19-2011, 11:34 AM
It makes me feel worse. They need a Plan B immediately.

Well, it makes me feel a little better if true since the NFL just didn't say "**** it, this game is over anyway..." or, worse still, they looked at it and decided it wasn't worth reviewing. (It clearly was.)

But yes, the NFL needs a plan B.

Also, why did the ref allow the XP to happen without any word from the booth? Maybe a way of preventing "communication problems" would be for the booth to buzz down once for "no review" and twice for "yes, review."

That way the ref has to hear something before allowing the XP to happen. It would prevent anymore "hearing nothing means it must mean it's good" situations.

Giantsfan1080
09-19-2011, 11:40 AM
Peter King suggests they put a green and red light next to the replay booth as a backup. Not a bad idea.

falloutboy14
09-19-2011, 11:42 AM

System needs to be: If the play is good, the booth says it's good. If the play is called incorrectly, the booth says the result. If the system breaks down, have someone on the sideline with a cell phone or something. No answer shouldn't mean the play is good.

Also calling a penalty on a coach for throwing their flag is silly. Every ref is human and and every system doesn't work 100% of the time. Giving the coach an opportunity to remind the ref to check for some obscure rule is worth the extra minute it takes.

BeerBaron
09-19-2011, 11:45 AM
Peter King suggests they put a green and red light next to the replay booth as a backup. Not a bad idea.

Anything that takes away the "no word must mean it's good" aspect will help. After every score, the ref needs to be told to review it or not. The XP shouldn't happen until the ref hears something.

MetSox17
09-19-2011, 02:13 PM
But yes, the NFL needs a plan B.

Also, why did the ref allow the XP to happen without any word from the booth? Maybe a way of preventing "communication problems" would be for the booth to buzz down once for "no review" and twice for "yes, review."

Another way of preventing it would be giving them something other than the ******* 1985 motorola beepers they were using to receive the "buzz" from upstairs.

BeerBaron
09-19-2011, 02:28 PM
Another way of preventing it would be giving them something other than the ******* 1985 motorola beepers they were using to receive the "buzz" from upstairs.

Get all the refs some iPhones dammit!

diabsoule
09-19-2011, 02:32 PM
The Bears could have challenged the touchdown but didn't. I think the mind set was to let them score so they could go ahead and get the ball back and see if they could keep pace. The refs missed the call but so did the Bears reviewers. As a Saints fan I knew he stepped out and I thought it was going to get overturned.

BeerBaron
09-19-2011, 02:34 PM
The Bears could have challenged the touchdown but didn't. I think the mind set was to let them score so they could go ahead and get the ball back and see if they could keep pace. The refs missed the call but so did the Bears reviewers. As a Saints fan I knew he stepped out and I thought it was going to get overturned.

No, coaches get flagged for attempting to challenge a score now. See the article I posted earlier about Hue Jackson drawing a flag for doing that.

diabsoule
09-19-2011, 03:03 PM
No, coaches get flagged for attempting to challenge a score now. See the article I posted earlier about Hue Jackson drawing a flag for doing that.

Then what's the point of challenges now? This is stupid.

Jughead10
09-19-2011, 03:04 PM

I could see this becoming the eventual cause of Tom Coughlin's death.

BeerBaron
09-19-2011, 03:24 PM
Then what's the point of challenges now? This is stupid.

Basically all non-scoring plays can still be reviewed. Turnovers and such.

I could see this becoming the eventual cause of Tom Coughlin's death.

I don't think Lovie Smith reacted much, but he doesn't react to anything really. I'm pretty sure his blood pressure barely registers it's so low...

Now a hot headed coach on a play like that would probably completely lose his mind. Coughlin's head might explode. If (when) Gruden or Cowher gets backs into coaching, they'll probably completely lose their **** and attack anyone in zebra print after something like that.

BeerBaron
09-21-2011, 09:28 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/21/nfl-blames-failure-to-review-sproles-td-on-miscommunication/

“I sat there and looked at that like everybody else like ‘What the heck happened here?’” Pereira said. “Now you look at that and really even after the game I thought there has to be more than this, than just the replay assistant saying that he confirmed that Sproles wasn’t out of bounds. As it turns out I’m not sure if it was a technology breakdown or just a communications breakdown. . . . The referee looked at his pager and it said, ‘confirmed’ apparently instead of ‘review.’ So somewhere in this process of paging, there was a breakdown, and you’d at least like to hope that it was technology as opposed to the human element of choosing not to review that because it was not a touchdown.”

Are you serious. Are you serious NFL? So if that play happened in the Superbowl, there just wouldn't have been a review?

Bull ****. Get your **** together NFL.

Ngatachance92
09-21-2011, 09:55 AM
I love how the NFL can just **** up and make a ******** reason to why they ****** up and its okay as long as they fabricate a legitimate sounding excuse, and say they're sorry then just move on... Wait... Did they even apologize for it?

the new jesus
09-21-2011, 10:13 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/21/nfl-blames-failure-to-review-sproles-td-on-miscommunication/

Are you serious. Are you serious NFL? So if that play happened in the Superbowl, there just wouldn't have been a review?

Bull ****. Get your **** together NFL.

It's just a game bro, mistakes happen.

Bulldogs
09-21-2011, 12:28 PM
It's just a game bro, mistakes happen.

I think the point he's trying to make is regardless of the situation, they should be consistent with this rule. Whether it's a touchdown in the Super Bowl or a pretty meaningless Week 2 game, rules are rules and this one has to be enforced, especially if a coach if penalized for trying to challenge a play that should be overturned.

BeerBaron
09-21-2011, 12:37 PM
I think the point he's trying to make is regardless of the situation, they should be consistent with this rule. Whether it's a touchdown in the Super Bowl or a pretty meaningless Week 2 game, rules are rules and this one has to be enforced, especially if a coach if penalized for trying to challenge a play that should be overturned.

That's exactly it. If the NFL adds these things, they need to enforce them uniformly. A "breakdown in communication" is simply unacceptable.

the new jesus
09-21-2011, 04:57 PM

The point is it's a mistake. They happen. Move on.

tjsunstein
09-21-2011, 06:52 PM
The point is it's a mistake. They happen. Move on.
The real point is that it should have never happened with the emphasis the NFL has put on it. The excuse that it's just a mistake and everyone should move on doesn't bode well with NFL fans and hopefully NFL personnel in the future. Something more clear needs to be done because obviously what the NFL has implemented so far has it's flaws. If you're going to take the right of challenging a scoring play away from a team, you have to be 110% sure that it was or was not a touchdown. Otherwise, it's a fail.

phlysac
09-25-2011, 11:40 PM
Another wrench in the "Every scoring play is reviewed" mockery...

It's not a scoring play if it's ruled an illegal touch. Even if it wasn't an illegal touch (which you can't tell without replay.)

Details... sorry no video...

Jim Harbaugh said he would have challenged a 10-yard touchdown that was taken away from Michael Crabtree in the third quarter. That is, if he or anyone on his staff had seen a replay of the catch. "We didn't have any view of it," Harbaugh said. "We had no replay view of it. And the official threw his hat early, and we figured he saw it."

On the play, officials ruled that Crabtree had stepped out of bounds before coming back into the end zone to make the catch, an illegal touching penalty that not only wiped away the six points but backed up the 49ers by five yards.

Replays later showed that Crabtree did not go out of bounds. The problem was that FOX didn't show those replays until several plays had been run and challenging the call was impossible. The 49ers later settled for a field goal.
http://blogs.sacbee.com/49ers/archives/2011/09/niner-notes-about-that-crabtree-touchdown.html

So, only scoring plays are automatically reviewed. Yet, in this instance, an error by an official can prevent this.

Alot of tweeking needs done for the NFL to be able to claim this is an effective new rule.

BeerBaron
09-26-2011, 08:39 AM
and when people make mistakes, they get fired. i have no idea why a few of you seem bound and determined to argue that nfl officials get a free pass on their mistakes. if they fail this spectacularly, they should no longer be employed. period. 'my job is like, really hard' is simply not an excuse, and it's pretty much disgusting that anyone thinks it (or anything approximating it) ought to be.

^^^boom^^^

I'm at least glad that the Sproles TD was at least a "mistake" via equipment malfunction. The NFL is now going to have a backup plan:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/09/25/nfl-changing-replay-system-for-scoring-plays/

Charley Casserly of CBS reports that, in the short term, a backup system based on the presence of an employee with a walkie-talkie on the sidelines, who will get the word from the replay booth and then get word to the referee, in the event that the pager on the ref’s belt doesn’t engage.

Moving forward, a Paul Revere-style system of lights could be used. Peter King of Sports Illustrated and NBC suggested in last week’s Monday Morning Quarterback that a red light/green light arrangement will be used. Mike Pereira of FOX says that such an approach could be implemented for 2012.

So at least they are learning from this one and making sure they have a backup plan in the future.

But this is hardly the only issue where the NFL needs work.

There have been some serious inconsistencies in calling illegal hits on QBs and defenseless WRs.

Giantsfan1080
09-26-2011, 08:46 AM
At least it's not college where they reviewed the play and still got it wrong which caused a loss.