PDA

View Full Version : The Official I Hate Bill Polian Thread

cmarq83
09-19-2011, 09:09 AM
I think we need a thread to complain about all the crap defensive calls that happen seemingly every game now. The rules are so absurd now that we may see 3-4 guys pass for 5,000 yards this season, and why not? If you throw there is a solid chance that a pass rusher will hit you and automatically give you 15 yards, or if you're a receiver if someone accidentally nicks you more than 3 yards off the LOS you'll get an illegal contact, holding, or pass interference penalty. Now these rules have helped no one more than my beloved New England Patriots, but now unless you have amazing personnel (i.e. Steelers, Jets, Raves) there is no way to defend against the pass.

So in essence what I want to see is a running dialogue of the bs we see every week. So I'll start with what I saw against the Chargers this week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej5R977axxo

What we saw there was a clean hit on the QB. Perfect form tackle his head was up, he hit him in the torso, wrapped around Phillip Rivers, and his momentum took him to to the ground. Then Phil Simms tried to rationalize it by saying that he drove him to the ground late. No way it's what we call a knockdown, and that is what is supposed to happen.

Not to mention the fact that the line judge had no idea what constituted defensive holding that game. 3 crap penalties, 2 on the Patriots 1 on the Chargers.

I also noticed some really bad calls in the New Orleans vs. Chicago game with Roman Harper getting flagged for hitting Jay Cutler. Also I think I remember a call on John Abraham where he literally fell into Vick and tried to keep Vick up while he was going to the ground.

What did you guys see in the games you watched this week? Videos are highly recommended.

CT Bronco Fan
09-19-2011, 10:08 AM
They should just get it over with and make the NFL a flag football league.

Jvig43
09-19-2011, 10:15 AM
It won't be something alot of people talk about the the PF on the Rivers hit was nothing but pure bull ****. Perfect way to hit the QB in a legal way and they still get 15 yards and first down.

prock
09-19-2011, 10:22 AM
The explanation for a late hit call on Jared Allen was that he "lead with his shoulder". From the refs mouth.

killxswitch
09-19-2011, 10:22 AM
I think the NFL will correct it. Offense is exciting now but people will eventually get pissed that no defense can stop anything.

And yes, Bill Polian sucks.

tjsunstein
09-19-2011, 10:59 AM
Bill Polianz hates the Bears.

SolidGold
09-19-2011, 11:57 AM
Is there anyway the competition committee would ever rescind these rules and make the league a little less pass happy?

killxswitch
09-19-2011, 12:02 PM
Is there anyway the competition committee would ever rescind these rules and make the league a little less pass happy?

I doubt they will use the word "rescind" but I expect they'll make "adjustments" and "points of emphasis" that will balance things out.

cmarq83
09-19-2011, 01:22 PM
It won't be something alot of people talk about the the PF on the Rivers hit was nothing but pure bull ****. Perfect way to hit the QB in a legal way and they still get 15 yards and first down.

The worst part about it was how late that flag came out. Phillip Rivers was on the ground and Carter had already gotten out of the frame by the time the flag fell. The ref was basically like, "Oh s*** Phillip Rivers is in pain it must have been illegal."

Brady has thrown for 950 yards the first 2 weeks, yet I'd still prefer the rules to change. It just isn't fair to defenders.

killxswitch
09-19-2011, 01:23 PM
The worst part about it was how late that flag came out. Phillip Rivers was on the ground and Carter had already gotten out of the frame by the time the flag fell. The ref was basically like, "Oh s*** Phillip Rivers is in pain it must have been illegal."

Brady has thrown for 950 yards the first 2 weeks, yet I'd still prefer the rules to change. It just isn't fair to defenders.

I thought I read before the season started that the refs were going to try to watch for holding more by OLinemen. With all the time QBs have had to throw, I don't think they're following through with that.

cmarq83
09-19-2011, 01:32 PM

If they de-emphasized the illegal contact rule I'd be happy. They call it immediately at 5 yards and oftentimes before that. It depends so much on the referee crew week to week, and the CB who is doing the pressing. At least they should stop making it an automatic first down.

bigbluedefense
09-19-2011, 01:56 PM
I can't stand Bill Polian. He's ruined football, made it completely finesse.

Why even run the ball anymore? Honestly at this point, the only reason why you should run the ball is to keep defenses honest. It only should be used occasionally if you have a good set of WRs.

At least in theory, if you want a high powered offense. If you want to create a ball control defensive team, then yeah, run the rock, but it seems that the run game is becoming less and less relevant in today's game.

You can't play defense anymore. You get flagged for playing defense. It's a joke.

ElectricEye
09-19-2011, 02:34 PM
Yeah, I pretty much agree with what everyone is saying. I'm all for player safety. Get rid of the blows to the head, make use of some of the improvements in helmet technology and maybe push for more research and innovation in that area....but at this point these changes aren't in the interest of player safety or competitive balance, they're in the interest of offensive football and scoring points.

The hit on Rivers was perfectly legal in every sense of the world and really what the NFL should be teaching in regards to tackling technique. A real nice, hard hit...but nothing that can do serious damage to a guy assuming nothing out of the control of both players happens. Just a real poor call. I've seen the same call go in Brady's favor more than once too. I don't like it anymore, honestly. Well, maybe a little considering it usually helps us, but I think you would have to be deluding yourself to think it's good for the game.

The coverage thing is another issue entirely. The "defenseless receiver" rule sounds good in theory, but it seems to be enforced arbitrarily and just ends up giving the offense another advantage over the middle of the field. Same thing with the coverage these days. I'm going to use an example that with the Patriots just because it's the freshest in my mind...but Sergio Brown tracked a ball down at the goal line the other day and played in better than the receiver did, making contact with it briefly, and still got the call. We see that nearly every week. There's no reason not to throw the ball deep down the field if you're going to get either a catch or a penalty 50% of the time. Minimizing contact down the field and establishing an environment where the receiver and the defender have equal rights to the ball is one thing. Giving the offense the benefit of the doubt every time there's a little bit of contact while the ball is in the air is another entirely. If we're going to keep going with that charade, you might as well follow the NCAA's example and just make it a 15 yard penalty instead of assuming that the receiver was going to catch the ball anyway(how many of these come on uncatchable balls? I've seen quite a few) and giving him at the spot. That has to be the most ludicrous thing about the penalty in it's current form.

But yeah, it really speaks volumes that we have ten guys hovering near a 100+ QB rating right now. Those numbers just seem to get higher and higher every year. Part of that has to do with the fact we have more and more awesome quarterbacks in the league every year...but part of that is the current offensive climate. We've seen the run all but disappear the past few years as well, which just makes the game so much less well rounded than it was in previous years. I don't blame the coaches for taking advantage of the rules, don't get me wrong. There's also been some legitimately compelling re-thinking about short passes and what you want out of a runningback(the 3.5 YPC 1200+ yard guy is dead. That's not necessarily a bad thing either), but it would be nice to see more balanced game and for a team that identifies as a running team to be competitively viable.

But yeah, I have low expectations about any of this getting better. The NFL likes big numbers. Big numbers lead to more fantasy footballzzzz stattzzzz which leads to a more casual viewers....which in turn leads to more dollars. That's part of the reason the NFL is doing better than it ever has and not something that they're going to see the value in changing as long as eyeballs stay glued to the TV and stadiums across the country keep selling out.

killxswitch
09-19-2011, 02:39 PM
Completely agree with EE that it should not be a "spot of the foul" penalty. 15 yards and an automatic 1st is enough compensation/punishment.

cmarq83
09-19-2011, 02:49 PM
I agree with the flat 15 yard penalty, or at least make it up to the referee's discretion whether it's a spot foul or a 15 yard penalty. They should set it up like they do in hockey in determining whether a foul is a penalty shot or not. If the CB blatantly interferes with the WR to prevent a TD call a spot foul, but if they just get tangled let it be 15.

I just miss people running the football. Now every OC is calling 50 pass plays hoping to call an explosive offense so they'll be recognized. Sometimes teams pass now even when it's not practical. For example the Pats had a 3rd and 4 against SD yesterday when they knew they were going to go for it on 4th because they're punter was hurt. So instead of taking the almost automatic 4 ypc BJGE on 3rd down they chose to pass it instead. I was yelling at my TV for them to run the F****** ball. They would have picked up the first if they weren't trying to be too cute by passing.

Raiderz4Life
09-19-2011, 03:30 PM
Chris Johnson got called for a thousand PIs yesterday. was giving em out like candy at halloween. Some of em HAD to be bs. Least I hope so =(

TACKLE
09-19-2011, 04:51 PM
i try not to think about this too much because when i do, it really frustrates me and really pisses me off. the sad thing is it will never go back to the way it was.

ChiFan24
09-19-2011, 07:18 PM
He really did ruin everything. He's the reason passing the ball is so ******* easy, the game is too spread out and played at high speeds so injuries to QB's and WR's are far more common, DB's have no incentive to be physical so whenever they DO need to tackle they don't have any idea how to properly do it (i.e. launching there helmet at the receiver's ankles). Running the ball is pointless, and having a GOOD RB is even more pointless - might as well take some no name in the 4th round to run through wide open running lanes since there's no actual skill involved anymore.

It makes me sick to watch the NFL sometimes. Still better than anything else on TV, I guess.

dunagan15
09-20-2011, 12:48 AM
I was pretty livid with the Abraham call, he actually made sure to hold him up so he wouldn't fall to the ground...that is what has happened to football, QBs can barely even touch the ground without it being a penalty.

Jvig43
09-23-2011, 11:53 AM
Carter fined for his perfectly delivered hit on Rivers last weekend. Super awesome. But he really should of known better then to not let a QB march down the field, what was he thinking.

cmarq83
09-23-2011, 01:04 PM
Unbelievable..... sigh

Brodeur
09-23-2011, 06:29 PM
There's always rugby.