PDA

View Full Version : The Official Coaching & Front Office Thread

no bare feet
09-19-2011, 10:53 AM
One thing I want to do some research on, is how coaches who do not have great success in their first head coaching stint go back to being a coordinator for a year or more then go back to head coaching? How does that usaully work out?

Who's seat is hot now? Sparon0 seems to be the hottest.

Who are some of the bright young minds that culd get HC roles? Some names: Winston Moss, Mike Mularky (kind of a guy I was referring to up top), Brian Schottenheimer

jrdrylie
09-19-2011, 10:59 AM
Sparano is as good as gone. He would have been gone last year if the Dolphins could have convinced Harbaugh to come over. I don't see him making it past the bye week.

Jack Del Rio is also on the hot seat. If he decides to start gabbert, it may buy him another year. But from what I'm hearing, he plans on sticking with McCown. Another year missing the playoffs and he could be gone.

Chan Gailey was definitely on the hot seat, but the 2-0 start has cooled it a bit. But it was Kansas City and Oakland. If they completely fall apart and finish 4-12, Gailey could be gone.

Marvin Lewis should be on the hot seat. But all the Cincinnati fans swear he won't be fired since he just signed an extension. We'll see.

Norv Turner could be fired if the Chargers miss the playoffs again.

vidae
09-19-2011, 10:59 AM
There is a rumor of a rift between Pioli and Haley and Haley didn't prepare the Chiefs to play a single game so I wouldn't be surprised if he was fired any day now.

Splat
09-19-2011, 11:00 AM
There is a rumor of a rift between Pioli and Haley and Haley didn't prepare the Chiefs to play a single game so I wouldn't be surprised if he was fired any day now.

Steel cage match.

tjsunstein
09-19-2011, 11:02 AM
Todd Haley is a good coordinator, never thought he was HC material.

Winston Moss has done a great job. I thought he was gone when the Rams were looking for a HC pre-Spags.

jrdrylie
09-19-2011, 11:25 AM

Oops, completely forgot about Haley.

Splat
09-19-2011, 11:25 AM
Todd Haley is a good coordinator, never thought he was HC material.

Is he or did he just have a HOF QB and 3 stud WR's?

no bare feet
09-19-2011, 11:26 AM
Some interesting names in the boat I was talking about: Marinelli, Linehan, McDaniels, Fewell and Capers.

many coaches tend to have more success in their 2nd jobs

tjsunstein
09-19-2011, 11:38 AM
Is he or did he just have a HOF QB and 3 stud WR's?
It looks more and more like him having the personnel now that Weis has fled KC now. But Cassell isn't exactly helping his case.

TonyGfortheTD
09-19-2011, 07:22 PM
Chan Gailey was definitely on the hot seat, but the 2-0 start has cooled it a bit.

What? lol no he wasn't and won't be at any point of this season.

Matthew Jones
09-19-2011, 07:39 PM
Tony Sparano, Marvin Lewis, Jack Del Rio, Todd Haley are the guys I see getting replaced at the end of the year.

bucfan12
09-19-2011, 08:37 PM
I'm surprised Marvin Lewis actually got a new contract this past offseason.

Sparano just recieved an extension, so I'm a bit unsure of how that will go.

Del Rio is definately on the hot-seat. He's done squat in Jacksonville. Don't understand why he's still there so I think he'll be gone. They don't scare anybody on offense, especially at WR.

Never liked Haley as a coach. It looked like they were unprepared in the pre-season. I mean, if you watched them play, it was awful. He couldn't get along with Charlie Weiss, who is a great offensive coordinator. I think he's gone if the Cheifs continue to get blown out. They're not even competitiive right now.

And as always, Hue Jackson, being the Raiders head coach, is always on the hotseat. No matter what, under Al Davis, you could be gone in a year quickly.

My opinion:
1. Marvin Lewis
2. Jack Del Rio
3. Todd Haley
4. Tony Sporano (that big extension in the offseason makes me think he wont be fired too soon.)

Bengalsrocket
09-19-2011, 08:43 PM
We'll see on Lewis. It seems like it was a bad choice to sign Lewis to an extension AND let him draft / start Dalton in the same year. It seems like you either do one or the other, not both. But Carson did put the team in a tight spot, so I guess conventional wisdom is out the window there.

SuperMcGee
09-19-2011, 08:44 PM
What? lol no he wasn't and won't be at any point of this season.

Of course there would be concern for any coach should he picking top-3 in consecutive years, but Gailey was not at all on the hot seat.

Complex
09-19-2011, 08:48 PM

What? What was he doing?

vidae
09-19-2011, 08:53 PM
What? What was he doing?

That is a great question.

nepg
09-19-2011, 09:19 PM
What? What was he doing?
They focused on conditioning and making sure the players were injury free and ready from a physical standpoint. The logic behind it seemed sound, but it ended up not working out for him.

Pat Sims 90
09-19-2011, 09:42 PM
Mike Brown is not known for firing Coachs. It took him like 10 years to finally get rid of Bob Bratkowski. I don't see Marvin on the Hot seat this year just because the Bengals are working in a new offense and had to start a Rookie QB. But next year he will be on the hot seat with his contract being up and the Bengals could be a suprise team next year or crash and burn.

bucfan12
09-19-2011, 10:56 PM
Mike Brown is not known for firing Coachs. It took him like 10 years to finally get rid of Bob Bratkowski. I don't see Marvin on the Hot seat this year just because the Bengals are working in a new offense and had to start a Rookie QB. But next year he will be on the hot seat with his contract being up and the Bengals could be a suprise team next year or crash and burn.

True I know he doesn't like to fire coaches, but Marvin Lewis' contract was up at the end of the 2010 season. I'm still trying to figure out why he was resigned.

TonyGfortheTD
09-19-2011, 11:40 PM
What? What was he doing?

Taking a page from the Herm "Club Ed" Edwards training camp book apparently.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
09-19-2011, 11:56 PM
Caldwell, Jim

The team has fallen on its face in about every facet of the game.

OSUGiants17
09-20-2011, 12:09 AM

Would the Chiefs consider bringing in Weis as the HC or OC if they fire Haley? Wasn't the main reason Charlie wanted to leave was he didn't like Haley? Clearly this team misses him and getting him back would help a lot.

TonyGfortheTD
09-20-2011, 12:11 AM
Would the Chiefs consider bringing in Weis as the HC or OC if they fire Haley? Wasn't the main reason Charlie wanted to leave was he didn't like Haley? Clearly this team misses him and getting him back would help a lot.

He wanted to go coach with his son at Florida. Haley probably just made the decision to make the move an easy one.

tjsunstein
09-20-2011, 12:11 AM
Peyton Manning is the Head Coach when he's healthy.

yodabear
09-20-2011, 12:14 AM
Caldwell, Jim

The team has fallen on its face in about every facet of the game.

Well lets face it he is like a de facto head coach any way haha. He is offensive guy with Peyton Manning so in other words, Manning is the offensive coach and all the rest of them are useless and completely lost without him. So yeah haha.

yodabear
09-20-2011, 12:19 AM
Was sorta wondering what the **** happened to our Missouri counterparts. It all kinda makes sense now.

SickwithIt1010
09-20-2011, 12:26 AM

I really think he went back to the college game so that he could get his foot in the door for another college HC job.

Ness
09-20-2011, 12:37 AM
I can't remember the last time I saw such a blatant figure head like Jim Caldwell. Was he even considered for any head coaching jobs before Dungy left?

Brothgar
09-20-2011, 12:57 AM
To the OP question HCs that do better in their second jobs. John Gruden, and Chan Gailey are the only ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Coaches on the hot seat:

Todd Haley - This team has looked terrible in both games this season and it isn't going to get any better with an ancient Tomas Jones taking the RB position with Charles on the IR. They will be in the hunt for the Andrew Luck Sweepstakes could we see Charlie Weiss take the head coaching job in KC?

Jim Caldwell - Indy is not use to losing right now Manning is looking at a 2-3 month recovery window. that brings the Colts to a whopping potential worse case 0-11 record going into a game against the Panthers and heading into the hardest part of their schedule. I would doubt that the colts would risk Manning's health for some useless wins maybe one win to prevent the permanent stain on the franchise. If they end the season with 1-2 wins and winners of the Luck Sweepstakes the fans will want blood and Caldwell could easily be a sacrificial lamb.

Jack Del Rio - It is playoffs or bust for Del Rio. Right now they are throwing up a hail mary praying that Gabbert comes in and plays like Cam Newton. Will ultimately end in futility they will win enough to pass indy but playoffs is highly unlikely at this point. They will look for a new head coach I'm going to go with Louis Costillo from Philly.

Tony Sporano - Don't let that face saving extension fool you. It was only a two year extension and I could also see Jeff Ireland losing his job as well. They could find themselves at the bottom of a really tough division an Sporano doesn't have the respect of the new owner these are Parcell's guys from the last ownership. I've got a hunch that Bill Cowher will be the new Head Coach and GM it seems that they are trying to build a team like Cowher's Steelers. (Strong O-Line one scat RB with speed one power)

vidae
09-20-2011, 10:10 AM
I'd be downright shocked if Weis came back to KC. I'd much rather have him than McDaniels though.

tuan33
09-20-2011, 10:28 AM
I'd be downright shocked if Weis came back to KC. I'd much rather have him than McDaniels though.

Why did he go to Florida? Was it because of that tool Haley?

bucfan12
09-20-2011, 10:36 AM

Something like that, plus some source said there was a family memmber on the coaching staff that Weiss wanted to groom to become a successful coach some day. I also heard rumors he wants to become a college football head coach again, and then I heard he and Haley didn't get along, due to playcalling issues.

Still think Weiss wasn't a bad head coach. I just don't know what's up with the Notre Dame program in general.

prock
09-20-2011, 10:37 AM
Not convinced Frazier is gonna make it through the season.

bucfan12
09-20-2011, 10:38 AM
By the way, can we put Off/Def Coordinators up for who's on the hotseat?

Because as a Bucs fan, I've wanted Greg Olsen gone after the Falcons game last year. He's awful at playcalling. It was an absolute joke that ESPN ranked him as a top assistant coach to be in line at a future head coaching position. The guy is a terrible coach. If anything, Alex Van Pelt has a future and played a huge part in Freeman's success as his QB coach.

vidae
09-20-2011, 10:46 AM

Weis knew coming into the situation at KC that he would never have FULL control of the offense and he agreed anyway, and yet halfway through the season his ass started to get chapped because he wanted to do everything his way. He knew he wouldn't get full control and he bitched because he didn't get it.

Haley is a great offensive mind as well and was never going to give up full control, so that is where the rift started.

And Weis has a son who is on the coaching staff at Florida or some such crap, so he wanted to coach there with his son. At least that's the excuse he gave the media.

Job Reborn
09-20-2011, 10:55 AM
What's with everyone on this board renaming Sparano to Sporano?

bucfan12
09-20-2011, 10:59 AM
What's with everyone on this board renaming Sparano to Sporano?

Not sure, but heres a thought: Once Parcells left the Dolphins organization, they fell flat on there face. Hmmmmm

T-RICH49
09-20-2011, 11:00 AM
Weis knew coming into the situation at KC that he would never have FULL control of the offense and he agreed anyway, and yet halfway through the season his ass started to get chapped because he wanted to do everything his way. He knew he wouldn't get full control and he bitched because he didn't get it.

Haley is a great offensive mind as well and was never going to give up full control, so that is where the rift started.

And Weis has a son who is on the coaching staff at Florida or some such crap, so he wanted to coach there with his son. At least that's the excuse he gave the media.

I highly question that based on first year and so far this year.once Weis announced he was heading to Florida the offense went in the toilet