PDA

View Full Version : Byrd's Top 32 Poll

Byrd430
09-20-2011, 01:08 AM
Okay, a lot of confusion, debate, etc. over last week's "power rankings". I suppose that was bad terminology. So, introducing this week's Top 32 poll (modeled after the Top 25 polls in NCAA). Here it is...keep debating, hating, and approving. As long as there is discussion, I'll continue it.

1. Green Bay Packers (LW:1)
(You have to wonder about this defense now. New Orleans slashed their secondary in the first week, but that was Drew Brees and the Saints. Cam Newton may be the next big thing, but he’s still a rookie against the defending champs. Despite the 432 yards passing and 53 yards rushing, Cam still threw 3 picks, and GB held on to the win.)
2. New England Patriots (LW:3)
(Okay, the Pats beat my AFC stronghold in the Chargers. The statistics were close to identical for the team except for the key category: turnovers. The Pats forced 4. The Chargers got none. Give Brady that kind of advantage and game over.)
3. New Orleans Saints (LW: 5)
(They took the #1 team in the poll to the brink, then followed it up with a satisfaction of vengeance over previously-ranked #8 Chicago, beating them 30-13 and really controlling the entire game. The Saints defense came alive and really tore into the backfield and Jay Cutler. The Saints looked very good.)
4. New York Jets (LW: 7)
(They didn’t need a comeback in this one, completely destroying Jacksonville, 32-3. Their defense was the cause behind Luke McCown’s 1.8 QB rating…..1.8?!?!?!?!)
5. San Diego Chargers (LW: 2)
(As I said earlier, the Chargers coughed the ball up four times in the game, and STILL had opportunities to get in the game AGAINST the highly-ranked Patriots. I’m not going to condemn the Superchargers after this one.)
6. New York Giants (LW:9)
(The G-Men’s ranking is based more on teams losing than it is on their own performance. They gave up another 300-yard game against Sam Bradford. The Rams moved the ball all night long. They just couldn’t score the touchdowns. One of the Giants’ scores was an interception return. The Giants are a couple of plays from losing the game and are not the beasts I expected.)
7. Baltimore Ravens (LW: 4)
(How do you follow up a dominating win over the defending AFC-champions with the dismal performance they put up against the Titans, a seemingly non-playoff team in a not-so-good division (without Peyton). It happened. The Ravens put up only 229 yards of offense and gave up 358 yards of just passing to Matt Hasselbeck.)
8. Philadelphia Eagles (LW:6)
(What can be said about this game. Mike Vick gave the Falcons an INT and two fumbles. Then, he got hurt in the third quarter. The Falcons scored two TD’s in the final quarter to the Eagles’ zero points. Jeremy Maclin and LeSean McCoy had monster days, but it just wasn’t enough.)
9. Dallas Cowboys (LW: 10)
(Dallas dominated the Jets for three quarters and lost. Then, they pulled a role reversal. Tony Romo answered the critics with 345-yards and two touchdowns against no turnovers…with a fractured rib and punctured lung…and came back on the road…twice…to beat the 49ers in overtime.)
10. Houston Texans (LW: 11)
(The Texans did not look overly impressive against the #31 team in this week’s rankings. They were only leading 16-13 in the fourth quarter. The Texans mistakenly lined up one of the reserve corners, Nolan Carroll, with star WR Andre Johnson, which ended up in a TD, which ended up putting the game out of reach. The Texans have room for improvement, but a win is a win nonetheless.)
11. Steelers (LW: 12)
12. Bears (LW:8)
13: Falcons (LW: 13)
14. Bills (LW: 17)
15. Raiders (LW: 14)
16. Titans (LW: 22)
17. Lions (LW: 23)
18. Redskins (LW: 26)
19. 49ers (LW: 19)
20. Buccaneers (LW: 24)
21. Jaguars (LW: 18)
22. Rams (LW: 20)
23. Vikings (LW: 21)
24. Broncos (LW: 27)
25. Colts (LW: 15)
26. Chiefs (LW: 16)
27. Cardinals (LW: 25)
28. Bengals (LW: 28)
29. Panthers (LW: 29)
30. Browns (LW: 32)
31. Dolphins (LW: 30)
32. Seahawks (LW: 31)

descendency
09-20-2011, 01:24 AM
Patriots > Packers.

yodabear
09-20-2011, 02:21 AM
Patriots > Packers.

LIONS > all

yodabear
09-20-2011, 02:22 AM
Patriots > Packers.

LIONS > all

Breed
09-20-2011, 02:30 AM
Cam Newton at #29? This list can't be serious, he's a SUPASTAR !!!!!!

bucfan12
09-20-2011, 07:05 AM
Lions at 17? Really? I'd put them at 13 right now.

Also, seriously, Dallas in the top 10 and 49ers in the top 20? Very questionable.

tjsunstein
09-20-2011, 07:26 AM
Cam Newton at #29? This list can't be serious, he's a SUPASTAR !!!!!!
You're not allowed to mock THE Cam Newton when you think Vick is the best QB in the NFL with his 55% completion percentage.

Patriots deserve to be ahead of the Packers. Our pass defense is going to become a growing concern if it hasn't already with Nick Collins out for the year (injuriez).

Do you honestly believe that the Cowboys are a better team than the Falcons?

bucfan12
09-20-2011, 07:30 AM
You're not allowed to mock THE Cam Newton when you think Vick is the best QB in the NFL with his 55% completion percentage.

Patriots deserve to be ahead of the Packers. Our pass defense is going to become a growing concern if it hasn't already with Nick Collins out for the year (injuriez).
Do you honestly believe that the Cowboys are a better team than the Falcons?

I just saw that this morning. Said they don't know whether or not it'd be career threatening. I saw the play he got injured and it was a hit that gave me goosebumps. I hope this doesn't put his career in jeopardy. Great player.

vidae
09-20-2011, 10:09 AM
Chiefs 26th? Damn. A tad too high.

tuan33
09-20-2011, 10:26 AM
No way the beat the panthers and they already lost to the browns. Why are they ranked 25th.

prock
09-20-2011, 10:45 AM
Giants at 6? OK lol. They beat the Rams and got whooped by the Skins. Not sure how they are top 15, much less 6th.

keylime_5
09-20-2011, 10:49 AM
I don't see how the Chiefs and Colts aren't in the bottom 3 of everyone's power rankings at this point.

scottyboy
09-20-2011, 10:51 AM
yeah Giants should not be top 10 right now. we look like poop

Rosebud
09-20-2011, 11:03 AM
Byrd should probably include a disclaimer that these rankings are influenced by the pre-season rankings of these teams, thus the giants in the top 10 and Colts not yet in last. Would really help limit the redundant "why is team X ranked close to where they were ranked in the offseason?" questions.

prock
09-20-2011, 11:07 AM
Still doesn't justify NYG at 6.

Shane P. Hallam
09-20-2011, 11:12 AM
I like the list. I'd say the Lions are way too low for me though. We'll see when they play tougher competition, but they have dominated on both sides of the ball thus far IMO.

McBain
09-20-2011, 12:22 PM
Good position for the Redskins. Dallas is too high.

Breed
09-20-2011, 12:36 PM

All his in completions were tipped passes, and drops....

bigbluedefense
09-20-2011, 12:49 PM
Giants are way too high on that list. We are not playing good football right now. We're lucky the 1st half of our schedule is forgiving, that gives us a chance to salvage this season.

tjsunstein
09-20-2011, 01:19 PM
All his in completions were tipped passes, and drops....
It's time for you to stop now.

bucfan12
09-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Giants at 6? Seriously, watch some games. CBS has the lions at 5. Any one read those rankings? I mean, I think they should be in the top 12, but 5 a lttle too high for them right now?

jrdrylie
09-20-2011, 01:59 PM
Giants at 6? Seriously, watch some games. CBS has the lions at 5. Any one read those rankings? I mean, I think they should be in the top 12, but 5 a lttle too high for them right now?

I have the Lions at four. If you take into account how bad they have been over the last decade, then maybe five is a bit high. But who has looked better THIS SEASON? You could say maybe Green Bay and New England. I have Houston ahead of them too. I could see an argument for New Orleans. But forget everything that has happened in the past. Detroit has looked like a top-five team this season.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
09-20-2011, 02:11 PM
Broncos movin' on up!

descendency
09-20-2011, 02:31 PM
Giants at 6? OK lol. They beat the Rams and got whooped by the Skins. Not sure how they are top 15, much less 6th.

Chiefs, Colts, Seahawks... any order.

Byrd430
09-20-2011, 10:12 PM
Byrd should probably include a disclaimer that these rankings are influenced by the pre-season rankings of these teams, thus the giants in the top 10 and Colts not yet in last. Would really help limit the redundant "why is team X ranked close to where they were ranked in the offseason?" questions.

^^^THIS

Guys, it's just two games into the season, and my preseason feelings are still intact. As the season wears on, the rankings will be more in place, I think. This is why I didn't call this a power ranking.

Power ranking-wise...
The Giants are too high on account of just not really looking good. However, preseason, I really expected a lot out of the Giants, (pre Thomas injury, Umenyiora situation, etc.) If they get down to playing good football, I still believe this is a dangerous team.

The Lions may be a little too low, but I think the top 5 idea is just ridiculous. They beat IMO an overrated Tampa team by 7 and blew out a Chiefs team, who also got blown out by the Bills in similar fashion. Better competition is on the horizon.

Why the knock on Dallas? I am a Cowboys fan and opinions tend to sway their way, but they dominated a legit top team in the Jets for three quarters before blowing it in the fourth. Then, they answered all the criticism on the road by coming back TWICE while facing a roster full of injuries at very key positions including a QB with a punctured lung. Maybe they're a little too high? They have questions, no doubt, and the injuries will become an issue if they continue, but for the most part, I like what they've done.

Packers>Patriots. Until the champs lose, I'm sticking with them.

IF this were a power ranking, there is no doubt that the Chiefs (two straight blowouts against Buffalo and Detroit????) and the Colts (worst team in the league without Manning) are no question battling for the 31st best team in the league.

Carolina has been competitive and should be ranked higher than they are. Still, they are 0-2, and my personal jury is still out on Cam.

LASTLY,
49ers shouldn't be in the top 20? Even in a power ranking? They defeated Seattle the way they should have and took it to Dallas and probably should've won that game (against one of my top ten teams.) They are one play away from 2-0.

Raiderz4Life
09-20-2011, 10:34 PM
They beat Seattle the way they should have.

Sooo...they were supposed to be losing the entire time and then get lucky lightning struck twice?

Looks good to me.

Byrd430
09-20-2011, 10:38 PM
They beat Seattle the way they should have.

Sooo...they were supposed to be losing the entire time and then get lucky lightning struck twice?

Looks good to me.

Special teams is part of the game, right? Special teams is severely underrated. See the 2010 Chargers.